• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

It Gets Worse [Worm AU Fanfic] Complete

For example: taking photos of the Empire capes suffering under her power and posting them to PHO.
Oh, no. She's humiliating the fucking supervillains making her town a literal shithole. :rolleyes:

Kinda hard to feel bad for the racists and they did kidnap her, so they're not innocent, not even close

We don't know if the power even intended for Coil to work for Taylor, that's what Coil assumed. Power could have been trying to say: Turn yourself in. Coil got a different conclusion and the power shrugged and said good enough.

We don't know if the power even intended for Coil to work for Taylor, that's what Coil assumed. Power could have been trying to say: Turn yourself in. Coil got a different conclusion and the power shrugged and said good enough.
Nope, the chapter explicitly covered that and the power threatened Piggot if she attempted to arrest him.
He raised haunted eyes to hers. "I think it means that her power knows about my power, and wants me to spend the rest of my life giving her the best life she can have."

She pursed her lips. "Or she just wanted you to come in and give yourself up. You've already admitted to being a supervillain, so I could have you placed under arrest -"

At that moment, the lights in her office flickered and buzzed. Without missing a beat, she went on, "- but on second thought, I think it would be amusing to watch a former supervillain work to make someone else's life better for a change." Her smile became razor-edged as she added, "Without ever letting her know what you're doing."

Kinda hard to feel bad for the racists and they did kidnap her, so they're not innocent, not even close

Nope, the chapter explicitly covered that and the power threatened Piggot if she attempted to arrest him.

Keep in mind that we know her power acts to protect her well before a threat pops up. It's entirely possible (and in character) that if let go, Coil would run like hell, set up somewhere else and then a while down the line start wondering 'oh hey, maybe if I'm way far away and maneuver people to hit Butterfly rather than doing it myself, I'd be safe?' This may well be her power preemptively going 'nope'.

Also, consider what this means for Coil's activities. He keeps his lairs, he keeps his resources and he keeps his connections. After all, he'd need all the resources he can get in order to improve Taylor's life. In fact, there's very little that her power changed for him beyond 'don't go after Taylor'. Hell, he can even take over the city if he wanted to, provided doing so doesn't harm Ms. Hebert or her father. Her power might even help him out if he does so in a manner that improves the Hebert's lives in some manner.

Keeping him in the Bay keeps this demonstration in mind. Keeping him active keeps him focused on not trying to screw Taylor over if he gets tricky. Because god knows memetic Coil would do something stupid after he had a while to get over his trauma. At this point, it's all trauma all the time.

Basically, it all comes down to whether or not you believe that her power (or Ziz) is acting to protect Taylor, or to improve her livelyhood. Considering that we've seen things happen to prevent minor acts of bullying, but nothing has happened to measurably improve their lives (no, preventing harm != improvement) until Coil, I would assume that it's actions fall under protection.

Keep in mind that we know her power acts to protect her well before a threat pops up. It's entirely possible (and in character) that if let go, Coil would run like hell, set up somewhere else and then a while down the line start wondering 'oh hey, maybe if I'm way far away and maneuver people to hit Butterfly rather than doing it myself, I'd be safe?' This may well be her power preemptively going 'nope'.

Also, consider what this means for Coil's activities. He keeps his lairs, he keeps his resources and he keeps his connections. After all, he'd need all the resources he can get in order to improve Taylor's life. In fact, there's very little that her power changed for him beyond 'don't go after Taylor'. Hell, he can even take over the city if he wanted to, provided doing so doesn't harm Ms. Hebert or her father. Her power might even help him out if he does so in a manner that improves the Hebert's lives in some manner.

Keeping him in the Bay keeps this demonstration in mind. Keeping him active keeps him focused on not trying to screw Taylor over if he gets tricky. Because god knows memetic Coil would do something stupid after he had a while to get over his trauma. At this point, it's all trauma all the time.

Basically, it all comes down to whether or not you believe that her power (or Ziz) is acting to protect Taylor, or to improve her livelyhood. Considering that we've seen things happen to prevent minor acts of bullying, but nothing has happened to measurably improve their lives (no, preventing harm != improvement) until Coil, I would assume that it's actions fall under protection.
Considering the Rube Goldberg machine nature of her powers, I think that it's less "Coil needs to improve Taylor's life" and more "Coil will be needed to save Taylor from a future threat." Improving her life in any way is just a bonus.

Another thought, Taylor's power already has shown the ability to influence her back when it suggested she be chatty to the E88

the picture taking and PHO upload could have been more subtle power suggestions, maybe trying to get other parahumans after her to cause extra conflict

I feel whatever her power is, she only got it cause Scion is a massive idiot

heh, now I'm imagining Path to Victory's reaction to Taylor's shard, can be summed up as: Nope, nope, so much nope

Except his plan kinda depended on him not being known to the authorities. Plus, I'm pretty sure Thomas Calvert is going to be resigning from the PRT shortly - Piggot allowing a supervillain to walk out, so he can protect someone who she really does not want to see hurt is one thing, but allowing him to remain part of her organization?

no, preventing harm != improvement
It does when you're Taylor Hebert~

Except his plan kinda depended on him not being known to the authorities. Plus, I'm pretty sure Thomas Calvert is going to be resigning from the PRT shortly - Piggot allowing a supervillain to walk out, so he can protect someone who she really does not want to see hurt is one thing, but allowing him to remain part of her organization?

She can only fire him if Taylor's power agrees

-_- This last chapter illustrated that even people who have learned their lesson and don't intend or desire to mess with Taylor or her family will still get hit hard just because their power could prove useful to her. It also illustrates that even people trying to do the right thing against someone unrelated to Taylor (the Director) will be casually blackmailed.
It's effective. It's not nice.

On an unrelated note: Ack did you you mean to have this whole Coil business occur more than a week before the business with Sophia? The dates in the chapters quoted below indicate that is what happened, but it doesn't make much sense to me continuity-wise.
It started before the business with Sophia. Dates are scattered through the chapter.

Yes, her power started gearing up to drop anvils in a neat daisy-chain around Coil before Taylor ever got back to school.

just had another thought, Glory Girl best watch out

Her aura might be interpreted as an attack

I don't think you even need to go that far. Consider that her power inflicts proportional retaliation. Consider also that Coil's admitted intent was to insinuate himself into her life and exploit her power to protect himself.

I submit to you that Coil's recruitment is not, in fact, any sort of preemptive action on the part of Taylor's power, but rather its response to Coil's overarching scheme. Just as his injuries mirrored those of his catspaw, he finds himself maneuvered into a mirror of the role he'd intended for Taylor: forced to exploit his own power to protect her.

Really, once we've established that her power operates on intent, this isn't any sort of expansion of its parameters at all.

I don't think you even need to go that far. Consider that her power inflicts proportional retaliation. Consider also that Coil's admitted intent was to insinuate himself into her life and exploit her power to protect himself.

I submit to you that Coil's recruitment is not, in fact, any sort of preemptive action on the part of Taylor's power, but rather its response to Coil's overarching scheme. Just as his injuries mirrored those of his catspaw, he finds himself maneuvered into a mirror of the role he'd intended for Taylor: forced to exploit his own power to protect her.

Really, once we've established that her power operates on intent, this isn't any sort of expansion of its parameters at all.

what would be really freaky with her power, it was manipulating things BEFORE her trigger

what would be really freaky with her power, it was manipulating things BEFORE her trigger

Well, if you're gonna go for that idea, you've gotta assume that her shard* manipulated the Trio into locking Taylor into the Locker so that she could trigger in the first place. Meaning it was the one to turn Emma against Taylor so that Sophia would even have the idea to target Taylor in the first place, et cetera.

I'd read the shit out of that story.

Well, if you're gonna go for that idea, you've gotta assume that her shard* manipulated the Trio into locking Taylor into the Locker so that she could trigger in the first place. Meaning it was the one to turn Emma against Taylor so that Sophia would even have the idea to target Taylor in the first place, et cetera.

I'd read the shit out of that story.

My god, her shard... It's a manipulative fanon Dumbledore!

Except it doesn't. This has been WoGed several times, in very big letters. It works based on minimum necessary force to prevent the harm, which looks a lot like working by intent, because someone who really wants to hurt her will require a lot of effort to warn off, whereas somebody who would only harm her by accident can be stopped just by preventing that accident.

Besides, it's a specious distinction in any case where the would-be offender's intent would have been successfully carried out in the absence of Taylor's power.
Well, it's relevant because it means that someone who is very intent on a course of action which will harm Taylor but does not actually want to harm her, will be treated the same as someone who is actually trying to hurt her as a goal. There's no judgment or blame.

Well, it's relevant because it means that someone who is very intent on a course of action which will harm Taylor but does not actually want to harm her, will be treated the same as someone who is actually trying to hurt her as a goal. There's no judgment or blame.

But that's not the case. When Taylor went to talk to Piggot, she had the guy jump in with the bucket of water to test that exact hypothesis. The agent got a bucket on his head, Piggot got doused. There was a clear reduction in consequence when the guy was simply ordered to do his job. She even notes this.

Her power judged both Piggot and the agent, and found Piggot to be the instigator of the attack. I see no reason why her power wouldn't also judge the course of action you're describing and simply negate it. No need for punishment if there's no intent to harm after all.

EDIT: It would seem that somehow my font got fucked. What are the default settings for this site, and how do I revert to them?

But that's not the case. When Taylor went to talk to Piggot, she had the guy jump in with the bucket of water to test that exact hypothesis. The agent got a bucket on his head, Piggot got doused. There was a clear reduction in consequence when the guy was simply ordered to do his job. She even notes this.

Her power judged both Piggot and the agent, and found Piggot to be the instigator of the attack. I see no reason why her power wouldn't also judge the course of action you're describing and simply negate it. No need for punishment if there's no intent to harm after all.

EDIT: It would seem that somehow my font got fucked. What are the default settings for this site, and how do I revert to them?
Switch to the BBCode editor (button in the top right of the editor panel, just to the left of the full-screen button) and find and delete any [font=whatever] tags you see.

Switch to the BBCode editor (button in the top right of the editor panel, just to the left of the full-screen button) and find and delete any [font=whatever] tags you see.

Thanks, that fixed it. Not sure what happened there but thanks for the help.

The question you need to ask about this is was that because of the intent, or was that simply because that was the least amount of effort needed to make Piggot reach the conclusions it wanted her to?

Look at how far out her power has protected Taylor thus far. It's a REALLY long way thus far which honestly means that all that has happened thus far, Sophia, the PRT, Piggot, E88, and Coil have likely been nothing but preparation. Sophia was needed to get the PRT interested, E88 was to start them making conclusions, The meeting with Piggot to reaffirm them, which then got Coil interested so he would put himself into that position and make those conclusions, which now puts him in position to interfere with a later issue which will be setup for something larger and so on and so forth until it leads to Jack Slash deciding to talk Scion into suicide, which is the only real tangible threat to Taylor ATM.

Welcome to dicking with precog. Cause and effect are mixed randomly or sometimes just ignored entirely.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back