• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
That was why I was asking about her knowledge of their patrol routes and schedules.
I mean there are probably some publically known routes that Taylor can easily avoid but for the actual non-PR routes those are probably kept secret to avoid tiping the criminals off. After all a patrol wouldn't accomplish much if the criminals could check the website and know what areas to avoid. As for what ones Taylor knows if they aren't being openly discussed in the common room then she is limited to simply counting which Wards are on that duty in the field that day.​
While some deviation may be permitted, the Wards aren't going to be able to engineer an intercept if she is able to stay far enough away.
I mean Wards are expected to intervene in crimes so if they get a report it stands to reason they can break from their route to go deal with it. If Taylor just so happens to be there at the same time then it becomes another opportunity to try to sell her on the program again. Of course at that point it is a matter of rolling the dice if they are in the same area at the same time rather than something that can be planned for. If Taylor wasn't immune to Thinker powers I would suggest one of the Ward's Thinkers try and plot her routes to arrange such a meet up, but since she is immune they are limited to trying to figure out which areas she frequents and when based on sightings.

Omake: Uncomfortable Thoughts New
So here is a thought, Weld mentioned during the second interlude that he already has an idea of where to assign Taylor once she joins the team.

So how long until he or the other Wards get the bright idea to start mentioning villainous activity within earshot of Taylor as a means of controling her actions, and if the other Wards just so happen to be in the same area around that time all the better right. Or are they more likely to leave those locations alone until Taylor actually joins the Wards so they can give the new member a popularity boost once she joins. Either way I do full expect the other Wards to start interfering with Taylor's new hobby with or without orders from their higher ups. Maybe as a means of trying to get her to socialize in a more comfortable environment since the Wards base clearly isn't that for he, or as a means to catch her in the act and slap a probationary contract on her.

Still I am interested in other thoughts anyone might have on this.

If the Boston Wards 'just happen' to talk about patrols and threats around her? That is where Taylor won't be.

"It's like she takes every hint as a place NOT to be."

Lily looked at Weld, "And why should she neatly walk into our amateur sting?"

Weld's head snapped around, "That isn't what I'm trying. I just want her to have some backup when this tantrum goes wrong and maybe get her to relate to us as fellow heroes!"

Lily leaned back, "You just don't see it, do you Weld?"

Weld glared at her, "See what, spill Flechette."

Lily sighed and rubbed the bridge of her nose. "You believe in the Protectorate and Wards in a way Taylor doesn't and frankly can't right now. For God's sake, you don't even have your own name outside of the hero one PR gave you." She held up a hand to forestall Weld's outburst. "Let me lay it out for you as best I understand it. Let's start at the end, "fellow heroes", to Taylor the Ward's aren't automatically heroes at best, can't be heroes at worst. Really her home town team being so toxic she got transferred into another state should have been a clue something was wrong. That is what she thinks of when we say "We are the Wards and we want to help you." That it is all a lie, a trick. To either to get her to give in, or catch her in something Armstrong can get a judge to charge her for, and slap Taylor with a plea deal to force her to be a Ward or go to Juvie."

Weld looked at his teammate with dawning horror. It's like one of those optical illusion pictures that twist into a new shape when you look at it in the right mindset. And he didn't like what it was showing him now. And then Lily dropped the other bomb, "Not that it would work."

Weld shook his head, "If Phase did accidentally break the law or get someone hurt she'd have to be a Ward or..." He didn't have a stomach in truth, but it dropped none the less at Lily's nod.

"Taylor would find going to jail safer and more preferable than being here? I'm pretty certain. That or running, and have you figured out a way to stop her if she doesn't choose to stay?" At Weld silence Lily nodded, "Didn't think so. To Taylor this isn't a tantrum, it's not going into the field with people she expects to stab a knife into her back." Personally Weld felt like Lily was stabbing a knife into his.

Weld rubbed his face with his hands, "How the hell do I fix Taylor's mistaken impression of us?"

Lily casually tossed her soda can into the garbage, "I don't think you can. We got so smeared by the team in Brockton. Maybe if Piggot gives up her Wards that are to Taylor what March is to me we might be able to start turning things around, but at this point even that's a long short." Lily stood and patted Weld on the shoulder, "If I had a clue how to fix this, they'd probably give me Armstrong's office."

Lily left the room, leaving Weld to his uncomfortable thoughts.

As for running into Wards during her patrol well she might not have a say in it if the Wards are actively trying to run into her.

Given Taylor's Thinker and Breaker Powers? I'm sure she can make it damn hard for a Ward to meet her, just Ghosting out before they get in view.

but for the actual non-PR routes those are probably kept secret to avoid tiping the criminals off. After all a patrol wouldn't accomplish much if the criminals could check the website and know what areas to avoid.
That is true for people outside the PRT. Taylor has more privileged access as a Ward, even without power testing. Hell, she could just walk up and look at the console to see where everyone on patrol is at the moment, and it may even have the routes for that night laid out.
I mean Wards are expected to intervene in crimes so if they get a report it stands to reason they can break from their route to go deal with it
For a disturbance a block over? Sure. Like I said, some deviation is alllowable, but there has to be a limit.

I just had an idea. Taylor asks for the patrol routes, says it is for safety. The PRT gives her the information, thinking it is so she will stick to areas where help will be close by, and ask the patrolling Wards to keep an eye out for her. Then they realize she is avoiding their patrol routes, and if/when they ask her about it, she just says she feels safer knowing she won't run into the other Wards.

Last edited:
The console is fanon, and bad fanon at that.
In BB, after Leviathan's attack the Wards had access to listen to the dispatcher in their common room, presumably because they were on call. This is
1)Very much not the standard situation for Wards.
2)Not Wards acting as dispatcher/controller, a job they are not qualified for, and would be a waste for them to perform if they had powers that made it possible for them to pull it off despite the lack of normal qualifications.

It is canon that Wards man the console. You can interpret that as being an emergency situation for after Leviathan and not normal procedure, but it doesn't say that anywhere, and if they can send Wards to Brockton Bay because they are short staffed, they could certainly have sent some unpowered personnel to do the console duty if Wards actually weren't supposed to do it.

Also, Wards aren't supposed to fight crime as their main activity anyway, so nothing is really wasted by putting them on console duty.

It is canon that Wards man the console.
Nope. That would require the existance of the fanon cconsole to be canon.
The wards have some way of listening to the dispatcher in their common area, that is canon.
After Leviathan they are expected to do so at least some of the time, this is also canon.

Everything else is fanon.

Also, Wards aren't supposed to fight crime as their main activity anyway, so nothing is really wasted by putting them on console duty.
Except they are supposed to actually be learning how to use their powers and function both in society and as prospective Protectorate members, so trying to teach them how to man a dispatch console (which would take around a year of full time classes to do) would definitely be a waste, especially as even if you could teach them that, they'd never use the skill.

Whether the Wards manning the console is fannon or not is irrelevant. It is canon for this fanfic.

Also, some capes may actually do more good on the console than out on the beat. Like Sophia, because keeping that psycho off the streets is a net benefit, or Hunch, who can hear the patrolling Wards report a disturbance, get a bad feeling, and wave them off, preventing a dangerous encounter with the likes of the Butcher.

Most Wards also want to be out on the beat, so benching them is an effective punjshment in most cases, and Console duty means they are still being kept useful and occupied while benched.

Whether the Wards manning the console is fannon or not is irrelevant. It is canon for this fanfic.
Fair point, how ever little sense it makes.
Also, some capes may actually do more good on the console than out on the beat.
Possibly
Like Sophia, because keeping that psycho off the streets is a net benefit,
Nope. That would let her do more damage.

or Hunch, who can hear the patrolling Wards report a disturbance, get a bad feeling, and wave them off, preventing a dangerous encounter with the likes of the Butcher.
Only if he was a trained dispatcher, although I'll grant in that case it might actually make sense to train him as such.

and Console duty means they are still being kept useful and occupied while benched.
Nope, putting wards on console doesn't make them useful, in fact it makes more work for the actual dispatchers and is risking the lives of the PRT troops and anyone else relying on the dispatchers.

Nope, putting wards on console doesn't make them useful, in fact it makes more work for the actual dispatchers and is risking the lives of the PRT troops and anyone else relying on the dispatchers.
I mean the Wards are most certainly not doing dispatch for anyone other than their fellow Wards so it wouldn't really effect those other groups. Plus the Wards probably won't see console duty until they have had at least a month or two of training or have a senior Ward/PRT agent looking over their shoulder to make sure they are doing it right. Additionally it does help them get ready for when they are in the Protectorate hand have to call things in using specific terminology, as well as tactical considerations when planning an operation or patrol.

Also on the topic of the console is it a duty that Armstrong can assign Taylor to or at the very least sign her up for training? Since it doesn't require powers and if Taylor intentionally screws things up they can actually punish her for it. Of course in that scenario Taylor is likely to keep intentionally failing her certification to operate the console to keep them from aasigning her console duties.
I just had an idea. Taylor asks for the patrol routes, says it is for safety. The PRT gives her the information, thinking it is so she will stick to areas where help will be close by, and ask the patrolling Wards to keep an eye out for her. Then they realize she is avoiding their patrol routes, and if/when they ask her about it, she just says she feels safer knowing she won't run into the other Wards.
Kinda breaks the whole both sides pretend that Phase and Ghost aren't the same person thing they have going on if Taylor just blatantly asks like that. Still though after that they would just stop giving her their patrol routes or give her false ones so she stops asks or so they can run into her.

Also on the topic of the console is it a duty that Armstrong can assign Taylor to or at the very least sign her up for training? Since it doesn't require powers and if Taylor intentionally screws things up they can actually punish her for it. Of course in that scenario Taylor is likely to keep intentionally failing her certification to operate the console to keep them from aasigning her console duties.
Maybe. On the one hand, it may be locked behind power testing, like most of their ability to give her orders. In addition, it is explicitly a punishment duty, so Taylor will ask what she's being punished for, even if they just send her for training.
Kinda breaks the whole both sides pretend that Phase and Ghost aren't the same person thing they have going on if Taylor just blatantly asks like that. Still though after that they would just stop giving her their patrol routes or give her false ones so she stops asks or so they can run into her.
Her cover is that she is going running at night. Wanting to feel safer as a teenaged woman running alone at night will raise precisely zero eyebrows, and not implicate her as Ghost at all. Also, if they do give her false routes, that will be rather obvious very quickly, and only alienate her further. If they stop giving her the routes because she feels safer avoiding them, and say that it is because she is avoiding them, I expect the Youth Guard would have opinions about them denying a Ward something they explicitly say makes them feel safer.

Last edited:
In addition, it is explicitly a punishment duty, so Taylor will ask what she's being punished for, even if they just send her for training.
I don't think it is a punishment duty since they do need someone manning the console and there can't be someone being punished at all times. Sure it can be used as a punishment while a Ward is benched but in all likely hood they have a schedule they use to determine who is manning the console.
Maybe. On the one hand, it may be locked behind power testing, like most of their ability to give her orders.
I mean they can order Taylor to do the tours even though she doesn't even have an official cape name yet. So as long as they specify no powers involvement they can probably sign her up for it. Sure they probably can't have her run console in a official capacity but they can still get her interacting with them if they have a Protectorate member or senior Ward showing her the ropes. Either Taylor passes the training as fast as possible to avoid the interaction at which point they keep pestering her to do it officially, or she keeps failing and has to keep dealing with their mentorship.
Her cover is that she is going running at night. Wanting to feel safer as a teenaged woman running alone at night will raise precisely zero eyebrows, and not implicate her as Ghost at all. Also, if they do give her false routes, that will be rather obvious very quickly, and only alienate her further. If they stop giving her the routes because she feels safer avoiding them, and say say that it is because she is avoiding them, I expect the Youth Guard would have opinions about them denying a Ward something they explicitly say makes them feel safer.
Okay fair point.

I mean the Wards are most certainly not doing dispatch for anyone other than their fellow Wards
That would still mean extra work for the actual dispatchers since they'd need to keep track of the Wards and the Ward dispatcher.

Plus the Wards probably won't see console duty until they have had at least a month or two of training
RL Dispatcher training starts with a HS diploma and a full time (not part time like the Wards have to be) training for ~9 months, then more OJT under the supervision of an experienced dispatcher.
Additionally it does help them get ready for when they are in the Protectorate hand have to call things in using specific terminology,
No, training them to use the right terminology and sending them on supervised patrols and ride-alongs would help with that, having them acting as dispatchers would not help for being on the other end of things - two distinct and very different skill sets.

if Taylor intentionally screws things up they can actually punish her for it.
How? They can't punish Taylor even if they could prove she intentionally screwed up (which I can't imagine how they'd do so).

In addition, it is explicitly a punishment duty,
While the Console really doesn't work in this role, the whole point of punishment dutied is that they are normal duties that someone needs to do that no one wants to so you can assign them to people you want to make it clear you disapprove of their actions without needing to justify a punishment.

This means that if there were such jobs the PRT could assign them to Taylor and she couldn't complain (not at least unless she could demonstrate a pattern of her constantly getting assigned the shit jobs over several months while the PRT plays favorites, and even then it would be difficult for Taylor to prove anything). However the bigger issue is that from Taylor's POV? ALL jobs she could be assigned as a Ward are punishment duty. That's why I keep saying the PRT can't punish her.

Probably directly proportional to her small t triggering Taylor to flashbacks of Emma and Sophia.
I mean there are parallels to Taylor and Lily's situation, and Taylor does need a proper outlet for her stress.

Taylor: Nothing personal it's just that you remind me of someone and this is the best stress relief I have had in years.

March: Wait what?

*Sudden steel chair to the face*

March: I did not see that one coming.

Nope. That would require the existance of the fanon console to be canon.

Not sure if it was specifically named the "Console," but it was a thing in the Sentinel Arc, (Chapter 9) and the Wards do sit at it. (I think Clockblocker or Kid Win, specifically.)

In the name of not necro-ing: Threw this together in about two hours.
(Look, I know the set up to this's spotty, but let me have my escapism.)

"Here's your band. Remember: Phase, Boston Wards, Hero." Nebula hands me a snap band with a box stuck in the middle. I idly swipe it from his hand, looking at the mess that used to be the Boardwalk.

So, a supposed evacuation drill was actually an Endbringer alarm, and I've just been voluntold under false pretenses. It took me turning around and being shocked at Strider of all people performing the mock "Emergency Teleport" that was actually real to realize something's wrong before I'm back here. In Brockton.

I survey the scene. Everyone else was in professionally tailored costumes, power armor, or some handsewn handicraft. I, however, was wearing a short-sleeved shirt, long pants, running sneakers and a standard black eye-mask the Wards get when off-duty, being handed to me by a fuming Weld after Strider left to pick up other people from a different zone. I'd like to believe that he's mad for me and not at me, this time. I'd like to.

A polite woman's voice echoed from the yellow and black band after I snapped it over my right upper arm. "Please state your Cape Name, Affiliation and Disposition."
No point tying Ghost to me, and I know that they want me to "accept my place" in the Wards if I want to have backup going into this Endbringer Fight. I thought they couldn't get lower but, wow.

"Taylor Hebert. No Affiliation. Unwilling Conscript."
Honestly? Have they forgotten how stubborn I am? There's no way I'd trust them to have my back even if I was in the Wards proper.

Legend's gotten through his spiel of "Thanks for sacrificing yourselves, don't expect to come out alive, but celebrate if you do, don't kill each other, we quite literally have bigger fish to fry."
I flickered through two buildings when I saw Ampere headed towards me, Shadow Stalker in tow. No way in hell am I going to stay there.
I'm currently sitting on a rock looking over at the E88 and ABB, since I lived in the same city but never saw them in person before.
The constant ringing in the back of my head identifying that someone's trying to spy on me again is back, and really, can't they give me a break, it's an Endbringer fight I'm forced to participate in. I'm pretty sure that's in violation of the Truce, but it's not like this is the first time someone's gotten away with committing a crime against me. It's probably the Protectorate Think Tank this time.

I see a shadow covering me and look up. It's Alexandria floating down to me! I hop up and turn towards her.

"Hi, Alexandria, so, I'm not supposed to be here, there was a mix-up on the roster and-"

...She just snatched me on the back of my collar and flew straight up into the air.

"Phase, you will do great things today. Your position will be with your fellow Wards on search and rescue."

Something's up. "Hey, I'm not supposed to be here! There was a mistake!"

She floats over towards a different section of the city.

"You have been obstinate for far too long, Hebert. We need your power. The world needs your power."

Ah. I see how it is. "But it doesn't need my rights or freedoms like the other human beings?"

The silence is too telling. When she looks for the Wards near where she wants to drop me, I drop down, phasing through her grasp and the roof of an apartment.

"Come, your friends are waiting for- where did you go?"

It's been about 3 hours since the waves started, and I haven't seen a chance to make a move yet. I've been sticking to Search & Rescue as they intended, but I have managed to attach myself to Rune, an E88 villain about my age, after dodging Emma, Weld, Nebula, and even Alexandria when she was distracted by a particularly large tsunami.
I chat her up on the ride across the waterlogged ruins, interspaced with diving through concrete and water to pick up bodies, corpses and armbands. It feels a bit scummy to talk so casually with a nominal villain, but I haven't been able to spill the truth to anyone since Lisa back in Boston, and live or die, I'm probably never going to be able to talk about the unfiltered truth to anyone again, so I might as well.
Rune filled me in on what I missed in Brockton Bay since I was transferred: apparently a team of three small timer villains named the Undersiders faced an unfortunate end to their careers against Lung, and only after their deaths were certain details that the powers-that-be decided to cover up were released.
Apparently, Grue could've been convinced to work for good if he was given a chance to support his sister, who vanished soon after the PRT came to recruit her after his death.
Hellhound, who preferred Bitch, was persecuted for the death of the matron of her orphanage... who tried to drown her puppy right before. And apparently, Regent was Hijack, who just ran away from Heartbreaker. It really reinforced that I wasn't the only one the PRT pulled this shit on.
Soon after their collapse, the mayor's daughter went missing without a trace, and the Wards in Brockton Bay were placed back on active duty despite the investigations into the ENE division, as the ABB got a fucking BOMB TINKER, who naturally went nuts the moment she got here. Uber and Leet died live on camera during a collab episode with her, and Aegis died to being an idiot that wasn't careful around explosives that were not just regular bombs, but Tinker Bombs.

The relatively peaceful conversation wouldn't last; the 'water-echo' of Leviathan flicked his tail mirroring what a swiping Leviathan did a few seconds ago, catching Dauntless, who was flung mid-air, on his unprotected side. We didn't have time to react before his body crashed into the chunk of rubble we were surfing on, folding over backwards and splitting it down the middle. I fell off and phased through and into a ruined building, Rune was forced to retreat after a crash landing.
"Dauntless Deceased, 0-4." He was gone just like that, sent flying as an afterthought...
Picking up his spear, I hurried off towards the action, with a very stupid idea.

I head up towards the beachfront, where I could see Armsmaster on the Leviathan's forearm. He was driving his halberd deep into the skin of the beast, but not deep enough to slow Leviathan down. The Leviathan shakes him off, sending him towards a leaning building next to me. I leap up to catch him.
This was not a good idea. It felt like I was the one crashing into him, and I even felt the edge of a square pillar right before I went intangible, popping out the other side. I get up, but he's stuck in the pillar, folded in a way where he cannot get leverage to pull himself out. I plant one foot on the floor, one on the pillar, and try to pull him out by the arm, but after a few seconds of ineffective effort, Armsmaster stopped me.
"Useless. Get my halberd."

I guess he loses his ability to be polite when he's in a lot of pain. There's an issue with his request, though. I look over to check.

"Problem. Your Halberd's stuck in the Leviathan's arm. And he's healed around it. I've got Dauntless' spear right here though."
"That will do."

I hand the spear to him, and he cuts the sides of the pillar before wrenching himself out, the top part of the pillar falling behind him. He looks up at me.
"You are not Dauntless. Why do you have his spear?"
"He's dead. Crashed into the platform Rune and I were on at high speed."
"Oh. That is... very problematic."
"Yes."

The awkwardness was forcibly ended by Armsmaster hopping onto the broken pillar and stabbing Dauntless' spear into it to brace against the incoming wave. I just stood there and let the water pass over and through me.

"You are... Phase."
"Yes, Taylor Hebert."
"Where's your costume?"
"I did not attend this Endbringer willingly."
"That's illegal."
"So is what Sophia and Emma did. Apparently Alexandria approves."
"Of bringing you here or covering up what they have done?"
"Definitely the first, probably both."

Armsmaster pulled himself up by the spear, looking down at his arm and ponders. Checking his armor's stats, I guess. But a blast and rumbling was heard around and above us.

"Bakuda's leftovers! Shit."

Thankfully, an off-balance man in blue armor is easier to pull than a hurtling-towards-you man in blue armor, so I was able to pull him off the pillar and into the hip high water, before the concrete fell on top of me... And through me, and around me. After fifteen seconds of waiting, the rumbling stopped. I climbed through the rubble, and pulled out Dauntless' spear to see Armsmaster replacing a plate on his mud-encrusted boot.
"Thank you. My Boot Thrusters were not operational. I have rebooted them and will not need more of your help."

That's good. He could've been nicer, but he's probably still a little shocked. Either way, one less person needing her help means two less eyes on her.

"It's fine, shame this isn't the time to ask for an autograph. So, what are you planning now?"
He stares out to the south end of the beach, where Lung is sent sliding back towards the heart of the city from a double shoulder check from the beast and the echo. "My halberd cut it's way into Leviathan's flesh. It can cut it's way out."

Sounds... cocky? But also cool. He's probably got a plan, then. "Alright. Will you need this spear then?"
He shakes his head before clambering up the rubble and along the flooded street.
"No. You would be unarmed, and soon I will be armed. I just need to hold out for an opportunity."
Hold out for an opportunity? I can get behind that.
Now that that distraction was done with. I head south, through the blocks. I had an overgrown fish to hook.

I pulled a couple more people out from rubble, on my way which unfortunately included Weld. It would be rude to dunk him back in, so I vanished through another building looking for a better position to set up.

And sure, I could survive this Uriah Gambit attempt to rake them over the coals online for forcing me into an Endbringer battle under false pretenses, but the only thing you could trust the Protectorate to do well is cover up their ass. Even if they let Danny know of my involvement as probably per law, he wouldn't make enough of a fuss to do anything about it. But then again, sticking it to the PRT was never my goal...

Armsmaster has finally pulled his catch out from the sea colored flesh of the Leviathan, before the beast spins around, hurtling him clutching his halberd through two windows, into a balcony. Other capes are also sent flying, either from a limb, tail, or high volume of water hitting them like a wrecking ball. I think one tiny slip of a girl in all green ended up being sent into the sky. A wild guess from the trajectory: Her corpse will crash land in Boston.

"Armsmaster Down, 0-1" rings among the many other names I do not recognize at the moment from my band, and a crowned and curvy figure clad in white and gold flies over to the balcony he crashed into.
Glory Girl doing the glamourous job of Rescue? More likely than you think.
While the Blue probably-not-steel-clad man is ferried off to the Med bay, I am close enough to Leviathan while no longer have any eyes on me.
I lie in wait, Waiting for the chance to strike at the Leviathan. Knowing full well I won't get nearly as deep as Armsmaster did.
It may look like I'm stupidly trying to spearfish the Leviathan, but I'm actually trying to bait the Leviathan to hook me.

As the Leviathan passes by, I phase up through some rubble and leap, hoping to stick him and get him to spin in place again, when I feel a searing pain, ripping in and out my left shoulder. I scream and turn, seeing a stick in the back of my arm, and a broad arrowhead sticking out.
"Well, this wasn't planned."

I look up and see the Leviathan's three sea-green eyes staring at me in an unidentifiable expression I think is confusion, before turning away. I react right at the tail's impact, and am sent flying through buildings.

After two buildings, (I assume because I felt at least four crashes against the spear,) I phase the armband through my arm, where it's caught on the spear. Once the light glows red, I smile, and I let go of Dauntless' spear and clutch my bleeding shoulder, as I let the world pass by me.

"Taylor Hebert deceased, A-4."

When I'm fully intangible, I can pass through the air itself. That means no air resistance.
I can even skip across the water at this speed or just hurtle through it if I crash into the ocean on my way, and I can selectively use my power to negate injuries other than that arrow for some weird reason.

Burning the PRT to the ground was never my goal. It was always about getting out of their clutches.
What comes next depends on my flight path: If I was smacked north, Canada. If south, Mexico.
I never got to finish Physics or Geography, so I don't actually know where I'm going, only that it's away from Boston, Brockton, and those Bitches.

I'm not sure what I'll do next, but I'll figure something out, later.

Help, @FirstSelector ! It seems I have written an omake in my need to "um… actually" someone!

Last edited:
(Look, I know the set up to this's spotty, but let me have my escapism.)
Escapism is valid that's the reason I keep coming back to this fic every month or so with a new omake even if it hasn't had an update in over a year. Also don't forget to @ First so they know there is a new omake in need of thread marking.

Besides that I have to wonder why Alexandria was onboard with sending Phase out there unless she thought her ability would somehow be able to hurt Leviathan, and the constant Thinker presence was Contessa trying to path Taylor only for Taylor to use the opportunity to escape. Still I do want to see a follow up to this omake either with the Protectorate reacting to her death, Taylor's new life, the Wards finding out she is still alive, or just Emma's perspective during the battle trying and failing to talk to Taylor.
I do not find your omake consistent with the characterisation shown so far. She wouldn't have served anything. She would just have left immediately, and not three hours later.
I mean in an Endbringer battle even the beginnings of one there probably wasn't a good moment to flee, especially if the Wards and Alexandria were keeping an eye on her. Plus her plan was to fake her death and just running away certainly wouldn't accomplish that.

Also since I am editing this post anyone have an idea on how long it will take for the Protectorate to learn that Taylor is still alive and what their reactions will be to that fact.

Last edited:
Besides that I have to wonder why Alexandria was onboard with sending Phase out there unless she thought her ability would somehow be able to hurt Leviathan, and the constant Thinker presence was Contessa trying to path Taylor only for Taylor to use the opportunity to escape.

Remember the omake about being invisible to Alexandria? While she could at least perceive a shadow, I don't think Leviathan has considered that an arrow that almost pierced him could randomly stop in mid-air. He just shrugged and swatted it away. Maybe. Who knows? Sophia shooting Taylor is legit an accident, though, not that Taylor'd believe her. At least it sells the "got caught off guard, I am actually dead" story. She did technically have witnesses to her presence during and sudden end at the battle.
The thinker presence could be anyone and everyone for all she cares.

Still I do want to see a follow up to this omake either with the Protectorate reacting to her death, Taylor's new life, the Wards finding out she is still alive, or just Emma's perspective during the battle trying and failing to talk to Taylor.

Also since I am editing this post anyone have an idea on how long it will take for the Protectorate to learn that Taylor is still alive and what their reactions will be to that fact.

So, Taylor's power, when not completely shutting out intruders or being outright imperceptible, will probably brick Thinker powers with other methods. Like Garbage in, Garbage Out. At first, "her body cannot be found" means it was pulped by Leviathan or something. Until a non-Thinker guesses that her ability is active, so she may still be alive. Good luck finding her even then. Not even Taylor knows where she's going.

The piece's deliberately open-ended so she could land anywhere, America, Australia, even a random Haywire portal if you want.
If you want to follow-up? Go for it. Remember she needs to land although she can do that pretty easily, and she's bleeding from her shoulder.

Last edited:
1: Remember the omake about being invisible to Alexandria? Wile she could at least perceive a shadow, I don't think Leviathan has considered that a arrow that almost pierced him could randomly stop in mid-air. He just shrugged and swatted it away. Maybe.
So it was a test to see if her anti-Thinker power worked on Endbringers. Did they intend to send her at the Simurgh next if this worked? But besides that Taylor did make a decent showing against Leviathan saving several people and Armsmaster so her dying would probably hurt local morale.
Sophia shooting Taylor is legit an accident, though, not that Taylor'd believe her.
I actually thought that was Lily's and she would be suffering angst for 'killing' Taylor.
She did technically have witnesses to her presence and sudden end at the battle.
The thinker presence could be anyone and everyone for all she cares.
Speaking of those witnesses how many people know Taylor was there angst her will? Considering Weld, Armsmaster, and Taylor's designation on her armband the PRT will have to answer a few questions to the Youth Guard about why Taylor was killed by an Endbringer in Brockton when she was supposed to be in Boston.
Until a non-Thinker guesses that her ability is active, so she may still be alive. Good luck finding her even then. Not even Taylor knows where she's going.
My best guess for the first to figure out would probably be Armstrong, Lily, or potentially Emma since all three of them know Taylor and could probably put the pieces together. What I wanna know is what they will do once they figure that out.
If you want to follow-up? Go for it. Remember she needs to land although she can do that pretty easily, and she's bleeding from her shoulder.
I might have a few ideas I might get around to posting in a day or so.

I actually thought that was Lily's and she would be suffering angst for 'killing' Taylor.
I went out of the way to mention Shadow Stalker with Ampere at the start, Taylor avoiding everyone listed except Shadow Stalker, and then being hit by a broadhead arrow (permitted because it's an Endbringer), Shadow Stalker's signature.
Oh, wait. Fletchette has a crossbow too. Was she even at Leviathan, or was she not being taken seriously yet? (because March fuckery) I don't remember.

Last edited:
Oh, wait. Fletchette has a crossbow too. Was she even at Leviathan, or was she not being taken seriously yet? (because March fuckery) I don't remember.
I mean if Weld and Taylor were there then I don't see why Lily wouldn't be. After all the PRT weren't shy about sending someone they have custody over to an Endbringer fight.
except Shadow Stalker, and then being hit by a broadhead arrow (permitted because it's an Endbringer), Shadow Stalker's signature.
Considering Shadow Stalker's history with Taylor it wouldn't surprise me if more than one person calls foul play and accuse Sophia of attempting to kill Taylor during a truce.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back