1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Phase [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by FirstSelector, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Nikas_Zekeval

Nikas_Zekeval Know what you're doing yet?

I'm pretty sure they can recognize a slow walk 'delay and pray' investigation. "How long does it take to investigate two Wards, especially when you are the probation officer for one of them?"

Claiming delays because of higher priorities for her limited manpower is one thing. Arranging for the primary victim to be moved out of town is also one thing. Either might look okayish on their own, or at least not questionable enough. But placed together, on top of the stack of complaints the primary victim is filing via the Youth Guard?

"Well Director Piggot, if you don't have the manpower to finish this internal investigation in a prompt manner? I have people who aren't as busy but regulations normally prevent me reinforcing other departments directly with them. However this situation offers an opportunity to support your extra manpower requests, indirectly. My people will take this investigation off your hands, the primary victim being moved over state lines allows me technical authority to claim jurisdiction since it is now an inter-departmental issue. With my people taking this investigation off your hands, you can devote your local resources from that job to your more important local issues. No need to thank me, I'm glad I can do an end-run around the red tape to give you some assistance.":sneaky:

If the kid is truly miserable, at the last ditch an ethical camp will call the parents to take their kid home early. Same thing with Scouting, if the kid doesn't want to be there, despite every effort to make him feel welcome and engage him? Eventually it is better for the kid the parents force to be there, and for the kids who truly want to be there, to let the kid leave. Otherwise his resentment will spoil the experience for everyone.

My sympathy for Armstrong is limited. If he at least tried to argue against Taylor being inducted against her manifest wishes with Danny? Or at least tried to suggest a 'cooling off' period before signing the paperwork? Even if shot down that would be something.

Instead he and Gauss pulled a Jeremy Clarkson meme, told the situation by Taylor they went "Oh no. Anyway, let us tell you how you are going to be our Ward." They tut about how unfortunate Taylor's situation is, but like Glady won't step up and do anything even when it is right in their faces.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
    apeljohn, Tycos, Ack and 12 others like this.
  2. Highlord

Highlord Versed in the lewd.

But muh greatar gud

apeljohn, The Dude, Dakkah and 5 others like this.
  3. RogueInquisitor

RogueInquisitor Getting sticky.

Maybe, maybe not. Investigations can take a long time, especially when you're not talking about a single incident. Furthermore, the investigation can come back saying "Emma and Sophia are 100% guilty of what Taylor accused them of, plus a bunch more felonies," and that doesn't mean they get charged. There is a thing called "prosecutorial discretion," which is basically that law enforcement doesn't have to press charges just because they have enough evidence. If a cop pulls you over for speeding, and lets you off with a warning instead of a ticket, that's prosecutorial discretion. It gets exercised less with more serious crimes, (like attempted murder) but Piggot could decide not to file charges, and there is very little that can be done about it. Prosecutorial discretion is almost never subject to judicial review, which means you can't sue over the choice not to prosecute in almost all cases.

7346991, apeljohn, Ack and 3 others like this.
  4. KingCrimson1081

KingCrimson1081 Experienced.

The thing about Armstrong at least according to his own personal monologue in the interlude is that he believes that the Wards are the best option for Taylor and that if she was to stay out of the program she would just sneak out and become another statistic.
    While she maybe doing the same thing with the Protectorate, sneaking out to be a vigilante, they still have an idea of where she is and can catch her if she falls as opposed to her being totally alone and without the possibility of support. Did he go about it the right way absolutely not, so he may have reasoned that it was better for Taylor to be a part of the program to at least keep an eye on her and keep her away from her father who can't care for her.
    Well if anything could finally push Taylor over the edge into villainy it would be that for sure.

"Oh yes we ran a full investigation and found out that they are completely guilty of a premeditated murder attempt. But we won't do anything to punish them what so ever because they follow orders."

At that point might as well be a villain at least you can say you are a better person than the government.

apeljohn, Ack, The Dude and 6 others like this.
  5. Nikas_Zekeval

The thing is the PRT are Cape Cops, not Cap Prosecutors. They arrest, gather evidence, and then have to present it to a district attorney's office, or the equivalent however named. It is the DA who decides if there is enough there to prosecute, and anything like plea bargains.

And how convenient his decision about what his best for Taylor also just happens to be of maximum benefit to him and his department.;) Terms like "conflict of interest" comes to mind, and that same mental monologue later mentions how his is not entirely altruistic about wanting Taylor to get power tested so she can understand her powers. He wants to know them for his own reasons, from the same interlude you quoted:
    This part admits they are so eager to find out what Taylor's power, they are willing to test her by using Thinkers both locally and from Watchdog not only without Taylor's consent, but against her express, recorded, and likely written refusal to be tested. And Armstrong is part of this. "So you won't give us what we want voluntarily? No matter, let's see what I can get away with taking anyway."

This is like not being able to get a warrant for a cell phone, but the police leaning on the cell company to give them the info as an endrun to the judge turning them down.

The only reason Taylor hasn't objected to this, is she wants to hide she is aware of Thinker powers being used on her from the PRT. But she is aware, and that they are likely from the 'good guys'. Which adds to her distrust of their claims to have her best interests at heart, and that being an active Ward is part of that.

apeljohn, Tycos, Ack and 12 others like this.
  6. Highlord

That is an extremely low and easy bar to clear.

Ack, The Dude, Ashley9469 and 2 others like this.
  7. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Which most villains still trip over.

8. libertinlary

libertinlary Making the rounds.

That bar is 6 feet in the ground
    because they brought a shovel

9. Nikas_Zekeval

Don't have time right now, but pointing out how Armstrong started the ball rolling on poking Taylor's power with Protectorate Thinkers? What happens if Taylor breaks down to Jim at some point and tells him about how many attempts have been made, even before her first public appearance in the Ward's lounge? I mean the local villains might try at first out of curiosity, but if this "Phase" isn't apparently doing anything, are unlikely to waste time after some failed attempts.

So that leaves the alleged heroes keeping up this harassment and invasion of privacy. Be hard to provide proof, but if you can convince a judge? Hello Temporary Restraining Order, likely need a Federal judge, and Jim watching a process server hand Armstrong one for his entire department. Taylor would likely have to move out, unless Armstrong wants to secede a large area of his own HQ to Taylor just to comply with a court order...

10. KingCrimson1081

This makes me want an omake of the Protectorate and Armstrong realizing that Taylor is completely aware of such attempts and the looks on their faces as the realization sinks in.

11. Highlord

Hard disagree. Especially since the only difference between the likes of Lung and Kaiser and a politician is that neither of the former have a flag to wave. Otherwise they are, with the only differences being means and PR, identical in outlook, methods, and desires. One group has an entrenched media machine under their control to make them look good, the other does not.

12. BF110C4

BF110C4 Know what you're doing yet?

Hell, not even Emma’s confession helps since it was done by a minor without parental approval or her lawyer present (no way Alan would have allowed it on the first place).

Thing is that police investigations that years an both laws and internal regulations will reflect that. Any smart cop trying to delay enough that the punishment can be done under their own terms can lose years through perfectly reasonable tactics.

Take for example the physical evidence inside the locker, the PRT can argue they need DNA to prove their Wards weren’t part of it do they send the samples to the local PD lab in order to save money of the PRT budget since it was a local crime performed without use of powers (bullshit), and they don’t send any particular priority to keep cover. How many months does dozens of DNA samples of an assault case without a sexual component or long hospitalization will take in a city like BB where murder happens daily?

apeljohn, Ack, The Dude and 2 others like this.
  13. libertinlary

honesty the government would probably be somewhere up there with the S9 in terms of evil

BigGreenBird likes this.
  14. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD none

To the part about the kid being miserable, that is why I specifically called out the reform schools and the "boot camps" for troubled teens. Also I should have cited the "fat camps" where again, the kids are miserable but sent there to lose weight (mostly because of the food there, which is by design unappetizing to discourage them from eating too much). I don't know if fat camps still exist, I haven't really heard of them since the early 1990's. My information on the actual conditions is even more limited to one person I knew in grade school who was sent to one and said most of the kids didn't want to be there because the food was technically extremely healthy but miserable tasting by design to discourage them from eating in excess, so they were hungry all the time. Also most of them didn't like exercising with the passion of an Olympic hopeful and they were forced to do lots of it. In theory they were supposed to learn to appreciate healthy food and good exercise. Again, one biased source. I suspect the exercise thing was overstated, although pretty much all the activities were designed to get exercise and he liked TV and video games even more than I did.
    My point was that kids in those boot camps are truly miserable but can't leave unless they do something to get arrested, and the reform (boarding) schools are probably worse since they are set up to handle violent kids and try to straighten them out so the kid would have to do some serious felonies to get kicked out.

As for Armstrong, I was under the impression that he didn't meet Taylor until everything was a done deal and she was being dropped in his lap. By then the paperwork was already signed, sealed, and [Taylor was] delivered. So it was too late for him to do anything about it. He wasn't told about Taylor's objections and reasons for them until she was dropped in his lap.

Finally, on the point of the slow-walk, I'm pretty sure that is old-hat for this type of coverup and making an investigation "go away" when they want to let the perps off. If the internal affairs or whatever oversight/investigative agency can't recognize that and deal with it, they are incompetent.
    Actually, it's like the person won't unlock their cell phone, the judge declines a warrant, so they set up a surveillance truck to listen in on the open-air calls, monitor the signal from that cell phone, and track its location without the person's knowledge or consent.
    Which, around Y2k when I looked this up was perfectly legal over 20 years ago. I don't know if any privacy laws or rulings have changed this.
    I just know there were a couple court cases where it was perfectly legal for cops to listen in on cell phone conversations since they were over the open airwaves instead of wire, so no expectation of privacy. Another one that it was legal to track the movements of a cell phone via triangulating its broadcasts to the towers. No involvement of the cell phone company needed since again, open airwaves.
    I'm not sure if listening in is still so easy with 4G phones, especially ones that use VoLTE, but definitely with 2G and earlier. I'm not sure about 3G (which was the standard in 2011), don't know enough about it. The tracking is still probably just as easy however.
    Also have the cops attempt to tail the person wherever they go, often augmented by tracking his cell phone. Again, perfectly legal without a warrant.
    Then again using a shotgun microphone to try to listen through walls, again ruled legal by judges (again, haven't looked this up since I was in college around Y2K). Apparently if you don't use white noise generators you have no expectation of privacy. Same as not having a gated community to keep interlopers away to prevent them from using thermal imaging to see through walls. As long as they aren't using invasive equipment it's legal.
    Sorry, I did the research nearly a quarter of a century ago.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2023
  15. Praetrunco

Praetrunco Getting sticky.

That must be why the story starts out with the paperwork being signed in the third line. It already happened and doesn't matter.

The Dude likes this.
  16. FirstSelector

FirstSelector something else entirely

Even if he had been more aware, would it have changed much? It's sort of antithetical to the PRT's mission to let some teenage cape walk out the front door.

17. MovingTarget

MovingTarget Not too sore, are you?

The PRT is just learning why they should have, the lessons will be painful

18. Nikas_Zekeval

At a minimum he could have engaged with Taylor, tried to get her father to accept a cooling off period while he tried to dig up anyone to soft sell the move. Because worse than not getting a parahuman teen, is having one that then goes villain or just runs away because you pressured her too much. Even if it failed, a good faith attempt to try to talk Danny into waiting till Taylor was willing might have bought Armstrong a small benefit of doubt to work with. Instead he countersigned onto Piggot's bankrupt account of trust, and keeps acting shock when the checks bounce.

Normal adult to teen relations? Not so much, the adults have so much more power, and the teens little and little of value.

However this isn't a normal teen, this is a parahuman teen. She has a rare and valuable power, and is more akin to a teenage Olympic level athlete, a young genius, or prodigy at chess. And the adults want them to compete to bask in the reflected glory, and make money off the teen's talent.

If the Teen decides not to compete? Burned out from the pressure, angry at being exploited by the adults in her life, or just to go on strike till some justice or concession is given? There is little the adults can do to make them compete.

This shows up in the story, once Taylor refuses to undergo power testing? The PRT has no method to force her to comply. All their normal control rods have been yanked out and smashed in terms of persuasion. Her parents? One dead, the other might as well be to Taylor. Esteem of her Ward peers and the public for being a Ward? "No good, I've known too many Wards." A bright future in the Protectorate? "Same shit my life has been, adult version."

The Boston PRT banked on "we aren't those guys in the same organization as us", in denial about how tarnished their halos are to Taylor. And only having the fading glow of those halos left to lean on. "Is this thing on? It always worked before, try turning up the brightness." And thus heading towards burning them out for Taylor.

Armstrong is down to unconsented to, and probably illegal, testing by getting Watchdog to poke her with their powers. Which has backfired, he gave them a taste and now can't make Taylor give him answers to satisfy Watchdog. Which as I reflect on it now, he deserves every bit of the grief he is getting from them.

Ashley9469, apeljohn, Tycos and 19 others like this.
  19. Garreon

Garreon Horny Overlord

Wait, this is true. CB and the other directors only began pressuring him to get Taylor into power testing because he, the idiot, decided to do some illegal testing using the Watchdog.

Seriously it's one fuck up after the other and Taylor is still in a high stress, for her, situation.
    She can only go to 2 places, school and the PRT building. School is still a trauma button for her and she has all shields up there, same in the PRT......and since she hates her father's guts she doesn't want to go home....nor will Armstrong let her due to being a Flight risk.

Because remember, even if Winslow was a shitshow, her house was a Sanctuary where she could relax and wind down.
    She doesn't have that Luxury in the PRT building at all.

20. KingCrimson1081

The closest thing she has to that at the moment is her new vigilante hobby, but even then the PRT is just waiting for an excuse to jump on her for that meaning that even when she is relaxing she has to keep her guard up because one mistake will fuck her over.

21. Praetrunco

Praetrunco Getting sticky.

I wasn't aware their mission had been changed to deliberately causing trigger events and then brainwashing the victims to blind servitude. Actually displaying her opinion to have an iota of worth isn't quite the same as letting her walk, as it'd more along the lines of simply letting her bunk somewhere and be a civilian with powers instead of the whole conscription by power of incessant friendship, as I'm sure they could have easily put her up at say, Agent Watkin's residence or the like.

It also doesn't help they told the Wards her issue was "problems with home department". You're essentially writing a ticket to organizational collapse (ala Implacable) covering up the magnitude of her accusation by dancing around it and ignoring (as I've kept trying to impress on some of the more myopic readers, without success), just how recently she is off her trigger event, or the specifics of it. I'd additionally ascribe her situation as being similar to several of Transformer214 / Slider214's various Taylors, specifically the ones in End of the Rope and Cut Strings.

At some point you have to stop doing yourself no favors and simply you know, do the job your contract literally says can be all she is asking for, and let the douchebag be Becky or Tagg.

That way they can be the ones she goes Aztec on.

22. Mattjbjb

Mattjbjb Getting sticky.

This is in fact the Caldron given purpose of the whole world, enforced by Contessa. So it is also probably the purpose of the Protectorate and PRT.

23. BF110C4

BF110C4 Know what you're doing yet?

Amstrong would be against that kind of move simply because in his interlude he considers Danny incapable of taking care of a parahuman daughter, much less one with Taylor’s powerset, and he got a point. Danny managed to miss all the warning signs of Taylor being bullied at school right until things escalated to the locker, even after that he doesn’t have the necessary drive to actually pursue his daughter’s victimizers to the end.

24. Tzardok

Tzardok I trust you know where the happy button is?

This is in fact not true at all. Cauldron thinks naturally triggered capes are untrostworthy and worthless against Scion. Their hope is to find some golden solution somewhere in Eden's corpse, like a better (or even just a second) Eidolon.

7346991, Tycos, The Dude and 5 others like this.
  25. Ack

Ack (Verified Ratbag) (Unverified Great Old One)

I'm thinking the PRT and Protectorate should be praying that Taylor doesn't end up watching Vietnam-era movies or reading books of that time.

Because there's one word that would bring them out in a cold sweat if they were really on the ball.

"Fragging".

26. libertinlary

Ahhh a passtime of many a conscript and the horror of any commander and his laundry person for having to get the brown stain out

27. Dakkah

Dakkah Know what you're doing yet?

Plus while not nearly as severe it is rather damning, that Danny outright ignored his daughter almost the entire time they were there, despite ostensibly being there for her, and without even a second thought just sold her off like cattle. (Practically speaking.)

28. Nikas_Zekeval

TBF? Gauss and Armstrong were ignoring Taylor as well, which is why she was angry at all three of them.

apeljohn, Tycos, The Dude and 10 others like this.
  29. Dakkah

Dakkah Know what you're doing yet?

True, but even then he at least pretended to care about her opinion till it went against his interest.

Meanwhile Danny had managed to take her from BB all the way to Boston without listening to a single word she said. I mean she had to threaten* that depressed muppet, or he would've signed her up at ENE.

apeljohn, Tycos, The Dude and 6 others like this.
  30. SlickRCBD

SlickRCBD none

I honestly don't see her doing that to anyone in Boston. It's a bit extreme and the people in Boston haven't done enough to warrant it.
    Now if they had kept her in Brockton Bay on the other hand, it would have been a real possibility.
    Her List would most likely be (in no particular order):
    • Emma Barnes
    • Sophia Hess
    • Emily Piggot
    • Sophia's handler/social worker/whatever.
    • Madison Clements
    • Principal Blackwell
    Not necessarily in that order.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Ashley9469, 7346991, apeljohn and 8 others like this.