1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Of Ice and Men (Young Justice. Icicle Junior SI.)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Flightless Man, Apr 19, 2022.

?

Location of Team's base.

Poll closed May 4, 2022.
  1. Missile Silo in Nebraska

46 vote(s)
    42.2%
  2. Ski Lodge in Colarado

23 vote(s)
    21.1%
  3. Lighthouse in Hawaii

28 vote(s)
    25.7%
  4. Ranch in Texas

19 vote(s)
    17.4%
  5. Summer Camp in Michigin

12 vote(s)
    11.0%
  6. Junkyard in Washington

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
  7. Rundown Hotel in North Carolina

17 vote(s)
    15.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Flightless Man

Flightless Man Versed in the lewd.

Best part is. JAde actually has something to fall back on now.

Glenn's not reacting anymore. He's making his own plans and isn't floating around like an iceberg anymore.

We're getting pretty close to october 1st.

I was pretty much imagining him crossed with DCAU vigilante.

2. Threadmarks: Chapter 29: Noeledge Is Power
    Flightless Man

Chapter 29: Noeledge Is Power
    Mount Elbert, Colorado
    September 28, 1:49 PM MDT

The snow on trails is thick enough for Jade to need snowshoes, while I break the trail for her. The bitterness I was expecting after my victory is absent. Instead she actually seems willing to work as a team now.

Repeating my question about why she became a Shadow, actually gets an answer this time. “When I first took off, I needed to hide. Who better than the Shadows?”

“So is the plan to hide, until dear old dad dies of old age?” Jade doesn’t necessarily care about beating anyone fairly. But this seems kind of cowardly for her.

“The plan is to do enough jobs for the Great One, that he eventually allows me to be trained by Lady Shiva.” She growls at my back and I decide it’s safer to change the subject for now.

After three days searching, I’m starting to think it’s just a waste of time. “You keep telling me that I’ll know what we’re looking for. But I haven’t seen anything but ice and rock for hours, so give me something to go on.”

“You ever hear the legends of the Thunderbird?” With binoculars up to her face, Jade peers up the ridge.

“The indigenous phoenix?” Does she think I’m an idiot? If they ever existed, they died out a long time ago.

“In seventeen thirty six, the Great One saw a Thunderbird fall to Earth in these mountains.” She explains smugly. “He was unable to get through the Ute people and eventually it slipped from his mind.”

Handing me the binoculars, she directs my sight to cliff side ledge. A large bird has been carved from the stone, overlooking the entire valley like a warden.

“How did anyone climb that?” It’s a couple hundred feet above the ground and at least that far again from the peak of the mountain.

“Good thing we don’t have to find out.” Jade has been quite pleased at how many shortcuts I’ve made.

Rolling my eyes at being reduced to an elevator, I start trudging up the ridge once more. “Why though? What’s a dead bird going to do?”

“The creature was supposed to be able to resist magic and pierce any mystic protections.” She waits for me to create a bridge, her eyes constantly scanning the area for trouble. “We’re here to find the bones and find out if the property remains.” Confirming the Shadows have ‘allied’ with someone magical.

“And why hasn’t Ra’s sent anyone before now?” That’s a long time to just forget.

“He did,” Admits the ninja. “The Sabuagana band and the snow, kept the Shadows from finding anything until now.” Doesn’t that just make me feel special.

Reaching the base of the cliff after another twenty minutes or so, I create a pillar of ice beneath our feet. Going slow so we don’t get launched into the air, we get an incredible view of the valley.

The ledge is far larger than it looked from below, with an entire cave system at the back. The ruins of three longhouses astound me just for existing. But it’s the dozens of carved birds that gleam in the sun.

All of them except for the largest granite hawk, are made from glittering aquamarine. Most are the size of a cat, with a few nearly reaching man size.

“I think we found the right place.” If we didn’t, this is a pretty good decoy. “You think Ra’s will mind, if I take one of these?”

Nora’s surgery is in November. It would be nice to have something pretty for her to wake up to.

“Take as many as you want. He has an island full of trinkets.” She disregards my question and marches straight for the mouth of the cave. “What I want, is in here.”

She puts a homing beacon onto the rock wall, raising an eyebrow at the rows of graves carved into the cliff side. “They lived up here for quite a while. At least three generations.”

“Would have been hard for any Shadows to get up her. At least until recently.” I concede this find wasn’t the simple task I first assumed.

The walls of the cave have been carved into a smooth heart shape, leaving far more room at the top. Hawkman could walk through this. Why did they go to so much effort?

“Oh...” Rounding the last bend in the tunnel, brings us to our reason for being here.

The cavern widens, with sunlight filtering in through another opening. Only that one looks like something crashed through.

In the middle of the cave, is a light grey ship that resembles a bird of prey. It’s wings curve like a hawk mid flight, with an elongated centre that looks like a beak.

“My finders fee is ten percent.” Before she has a chance to step towards the ship, I try breaking the growing tension.

“I told you to take the birds...” Jade scowls at me, though doesn’t argue any further. “Fine. Ten percent, but only if you can figure out a way in first.”

Challenge accepted, I start running my hands across the craft. It’s so smooth, I just need to find a seam.

Jade tries the more direct approach and goes through quite a few knives in her own attempt. Her growls of frustration start to shift into snarls of fury, making me redouble my efforts.

“Aha!” Finally finding a groove in the metal, I let my azure energy trail from my fingers.

It expands like normal. But instead of the shattered steel I’m used to, the alien metal tears outwards. The hatch does end up open, but I’m incredibly impressed at how well it stood up to the pressure. What kind of metal is this?

“Just don’t touch anything connected to the ship.” I can see Jade trying not to react with anger and it kind of looks like she’s counting to ten.

“I really just want a helmet.” If this stuff has anti magic properties... It might just be able to block psychic attacks.

We find three mummified bodies, each one with metal laced through the bones. The wings have the most and I’m confused how that helps with flight.

The helmets look almost identical to the one worn by the Hawks and I pull one closest to my head shape. Should probably call Artemis and see if her Martian friend can test this out for me.

We find a few systems still active and a few weapons that crackle with energy. Jade ends up taking a couple curved knives to replace her broken ones and tells me to bury the valley.

“I marked the site, the recovery team will be here in a few days.” He words sound a little sharper with the helmet snugly in place. “So turn this back into a glacier and we can get out of here.”

“I hope you’re ready to pull me back on the sled.” I look over and frown at how little food is left on it. “Because this is approaching volcano levels of effort.”

Notes: The Ute people in Idaho/Colorado/Utah (with hunting grounds in Oklahoma, Arizona, New Mexico, and Wyoming.), has 12 historical bands. I tried to accurately use the band that claimed this area of Colorado. But I might be a couple valleys over. If I’m using the wrong one, I do apologize.​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 50 others like this.
  3. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

Welp, he got a nice helmet to protect his noggin from psychic fuckerysurgery at the least, which ironically will increase his value to the old goat! :p

4. Flightless Man

October 1st is only a few days away. That helmet may be coming in handy, sooner rather than later.

5. Threadmarks: Interlude 18: Finders Keepers
    Flightless Man

Interlude 18: Finders Keepers
    Mount Elbert, Colorado
    September 29, 7:18 AM MDT

Hovering above the cloud of falling snow in the cloaked bioship, Young Justice waits for M’gann’s signal. Glenn’s mind vanished last night and Roy almost ordered a rescue.

Captain Marvel managed to spot him on the ledge of the cliff, wearing a helmet he recognizes as Thanagarian. The beam of blue energy that gets shot into the sky, almost completely fills the basin by sunrise.

Peering through the swirling snow, Red Arrow makes out a moving shadow. “I think he’s finished.”

The cliff side village has been entirely buried in the night, with less than ten feet of jagged stone still visible. A line in the powder descends far faster than anyone expected, with Robin letting out a guffaw at the sight.

“Did your sister tie him to a sled?”

Shutting off the recording of Jade landing face first in the snow, Artemis joins the acrobat at the window. “Looks more like a sheet of scrap metal.”

“Did she wax it or something?” Wally frowns, knowing something is wrong with the speed on display. “Because that’s reaching bobsled speeds.”

Impressed at how much ice and snow created, Captain Marvel admits as much. “He’s stronger than he was at Yellowstone. Sub-Zero couldn’t even last an hour and now he nearly made it through the whole night.”

“He did get struck by lightning you know.” Defending her unconscious friend below, Huntress remembers exactly how hot that place was. “And it was hard enough just breathing anyway.”

Rolling his eyes at the indignation, Roy nudges Firebrand with his elbow. “You’re up. Just remember-”

“Only melt as much as I have to.” The gyndroid with sensibilities from the fifties, cuts off the red headed archer. “I am aware of the dangers a flood would bring.”

“Sorry. We just had to deal with a lot of clean up this summer.” Roy’s left eye twitches. “I’m not letting my team get yelled at, for yet another mudslide we didn’t cause.”

Firebrand drops from the open hatch, a trail of flame arcing behind her. The tunnel melted, is wide enough for three men to walk abreast and spirals gently downwards.

Once M’gann lands her spacecraft on the snow, the rest of the heroes start the trek into the glacier. The slick ice makes for slow going, which gives Danette enough time to find the cavern.

When the teens find her beside the entrance to the mountain, Firebrand waits with a flaming fist. “It’s not much farther. Be prepared for traps.”

“I feel like Indiana Jones or something.” The disguised Billy Batson tries not to let on how giddy he really is. “This is so cool!” And fails miserably. “Batman always does the investigating, waaay before I show up.”

“Which movie did he find aliens?” Rocket gasps at the gleaming silver ship.

Even though he knows it’s a rhetorical question, Robin can’t help himself. “Was going to be the plot of the fourth one. But it went through some rewrites and was unrecognizable to the first draft.”

“The Sunken City was going to be about aliens?” A very relieved Wally snorts.

“Thank my king next time you see him,” Explains a very proud Aqualad, filling the speedster in on the cruise ship rescue a few years ago.

Peering up at the section of mountain the ship crashed through, Captain Marvel points up at it. “Firebrand. Once you melt us a way out,, Superboy and I should be able to lift the ship up.”

“Can the bioship tow this thing, or will we have to fly it all the way to Nebraska?” Concerned at how big the ship is, Kirk never the less grabs onto one of the wings.

“Let’s just see how heavy it is fir-” Holding unto the other wing, Captain Marvel is stunned at how light the craft is.

Just as aware that this isn’t normal, Superboy feels no strain from the weight. “What is this thing made out of? I could probably do this with just one hand.” With a nod to the team’s chaperone, he carefully sets it back down.

“We can examine it at the silo. Just focus on making sure everything inside is safe to transport.” Roy grunts impatiently and is the first one to step inside.

Bayou Bartholomew
    September 29, 9:27 PM CDT

Atomic Skull cuts off the flow of energy and pants. “That should be enough juice. Are the seeds ready for transport?”

The screaming of the plants is muted in Poison Ivy’s mind. Since her first session with Harleen, the botanist has felt more like herself than she has in years. A few compromises for a rational mind, is more than a fair trade.

“Ask Wotan. It’s the viking’s job.” Even as her body fights against the foreign control, Pamela is unaware the battle even takes place.

Muttering under his breath about incompetent children, Wotan assures his comrades that things are going according to plan. “The seeds will be planted in dozens of cities around the world. We strike on the first.”

Growling at the centuries old wizard, Ultra Humanite directs her fellow gorillas in the construction of the transmitter. “As long as the clown can do his part, the heroes are going to be far too busy to come looking for us.”

“What’s the worst that could happen?” The manic Joker cackles up at the moon. “I go crazy?”

“Just remember to deal with Perdita, before you lose the rest of your mind. ”Count Vertigo grimaces at having to work with such a wildcard.

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 44 others like this.
  6. Akatsunami

Akatsunami The Potatoist.

So Young Justice is gonna go around stealing whatever it is that Zero finds before the Shadows get to it, fucking over his attempt to go clean because he won't be able to pay off his debt to the demon head.

Heros everybody!

7. Metabolicjosh

Metabolicjosh Experienced.

I don’t think that is the intent, but rather that they only thought so far as to stop the League from getting what they want. I wonder if this will cause an argument between SubZero and Artemis

8. Flightless Man

Essentially yes, though it's not actually the team's intention. They just don't want the Shadows getting the goods and aren't really thinknig how it will make Sub-Zero look. Or maybe Roy just figures it will mean the Shadows will never forgive Glenn and he doens't have to worry about him going villain.

That's exactly what Young Justice is doing. They just haven't fully thought through the consequences for Sub-Zero.

9. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

To be fair, it's more likely that the one that gets the blame is Jade, not Glenn. Since if Young Justice is grabbing all the stuff before the shadows reach it, then it's her fault for not counter-spying well enough and letting the junior heroes follow them.

Though the Shadows would still consider Glenn to owe them, since they didn't get the things they wanted.

10. Threadmarks: Chapter 30: Powder To The People
    Flightless Man

Chapter 30: Powder To The People
    Denver, Colorado
    October 1, 7:22 AM MDT

When my eyes flicker open, it’s to the welcome familiarity of my van. The curtains aren’t pulled all the way shut, letting a beam of sun strike my face.

“I’ve had a few complications.” Jade’s voice is low, clearly trying not to wake me up with her call. “But everything is still on track Great One.”

“Tell Ra’s I said hello.” My comment gets a curse from the front seat and comes with the click of her phone.

Taking a few seconds to collect her thoughts, Jade pulls the curtain open the rest of the way. “You really did sleep for day. Good thing you’re not just all talk, or I would have left you up on the mountain.”

Pride seeps into my bones as I revel in such a pure victory. “I finally created something that helps the world.”

It wasn’t just another selfish piece of art so I could make a quick buck. I made a glacier and that’s something that will endure long after I’m gone.

“The Shadows are impressed.” That explains all the photos you took. “Even if the Great One wasn’t happy about your finder’s fee. He has deemed it acceptable negotiations.”

“You grabbed the door?” I wasn’t really in any state to enforce the command.

The mane of silky black hair bobs up and down. “You kept freezing through the ropes, so I had to use some cable from the ship to tie you down.”

“What about the sled?” I brought it for just that reason.

“Maybe you shouldn’t have buried it under a glacier!” The hissed response, has more than enough heat to make me back off.

“My bad.” But a thought strikes me as I pull on the cleanest shirt I can find. “But does this mean I get to name the glacier?” It is a new geographical feature after all.

Grunting as I climb into the passenger seat, Jade looks like she hasn’t slept this whole time. “Don’t really care.”

“You want me to drive?” She’s not swerving or anything, but I’m uncomfortable never the less. “I’ll even let you crash in back while I check out the campus here.”

I already know where I’m going in the spring. But this is my chance to have some of the normalcy I lost back in July.

“What about rule number one?” She only offers a token resistance and pulls into a Wendys’ parking lot.

“You get a pass for not leaving me on a mountain.” I know she’s not a huge meat eater and get surprised at her damage for two combos.

The sheet of space metal is tied down to the roof with the pencil thick wire and I get a ridiculous idea. I’ll have to give that a try later.

Once I give Jade her food, I stretch my legs before getting behind the wheel. Dialing the first number in my phone, I wait for Artemis to pick up.

“... What’s going on?” She sounds stressed out and I hope I’m not interrupting a mission.

“I got a new helmet and I think it might be able to interfere with telepathy. Could I bribe your Martian friend into finding out for me?”

“That’s all you’re calling about?” The sudden relief in her voice, makes me raise an eyebrow. “Yeah, Megan would love a chance a chance to start over.”

I try not to grimace at how foolish I must have looked that day in Arkham. Cowering away from the pleasant girl, did nothing to help my rep.

“Me and Jade are going to be swinging by El Paso again. Could you ask Ted to book some time off for a meeting?” I’d rather work with him on this.

Blue Beetle uses more high tech gadgets than any other active hero. He’s my best bet at turning the scrap metal into something useful. As long as he can get some plates shaped the same as the blue bits on my costume, I even have a few ideas for my heroes.

Nightwing was always my favourite hero growing up. And it’s still a little hard to separate the legend from the preteen I know. If possible, I’d love to be able to gift him a pair of batons.

Roy and Artemis may not have been people I gave much thought before waking up here. But now they’re some of the closest people I have in my life. A bow with an indestructible string would only help the both of them.

After sending Superboy on a wild goose chase, I kind of feel responsible for his own... head trauma. He doesn’t really need a weapon with those rippling muscles. But what about a shield?

Jade said the Thunderbird was supposed to have anti magic properties. That’s pretty much the only weakness Kryptonians have naturally on Earth.

“I’ll ask him to give you a call before patrol,” Artemis agrees easily.

Tommy went to jail for me. Any real knight is going to need a sword to call his own.

“Oh and can you get Wally’s shoe size for me.” Justice League Unlimited and the Flash’s defeat of Brainiac, that made me a fan of any version of the man.

Some upgraded shoes and something to pad his knuckles. That should help him get over his slower speed.

I’m about to respond to the archer, only to drop my phone in shock. The ground rumbles all around me, with giant vines bursting through the asphalt.

Diving for my phone, I grab it just before it’s crushed. “Artemis, I’ll call you back later. I think you’re about to get really busy.”

“What are you talking about Gl-” I end the call and dash towards the van.

Banging on the side as I run, I fling open the back doors. “Either get dressed and give me a hand, or get the Mystery Machine somewhere safe!”

She reacts by throwing my new helmet at me. “Have fun and try not to die.”

The doors slam shut in my face, with the engine growling to life a moment later. Wasting no time, Jade peels away in a cloud of black smoke. I really need to get that thing tuned up.

The first vine has been joined by a garden of it’s friends, making me grit my teeth anxiously. When a fresh tendril emerges from the Wendys, I leap into action with a series of azure blasts.

The roof stops crumbling and gives the people inside enough time to escape. But the sudden cold definitely made me the primary target. Swinging down at me one after another, the vines will leave the entire crowd a gooey smear if I don’t stop them.

“Stay in a group, I can’t cover you all if you scatter!” I roar at a couple who try to make a break for it, making them cluster up tight with the rest.

Let’s try something new. Sending discs of ice upwards at the vines, I freeze one side faster. It puts enough of a spin on them, that they slice two vines right in half. Only a few dozen more to go.

“Go!” The crowd listens and races away from downtown like it’s a grade school fire drill.

Any vine that swings for them, finds out exactly how determined I am. Spears of crystal blue pin the plants to buildings, while a cloud of freezing mist makes the smaller ones wither.

I lose track of how many groups I escort from the area, only skating back faster each time. The League hasn’t shown up and neither have the sidekicks, making the grim reality set in. I’m on my own here.

It’s not like I think the heroes have just left a city to be destroyed. But that only makes me worry for me friends. What could be worse than a bunch of kaiju sized plants?

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 45 others like this.
  11. Threadmarks: Chapter 31: Everyone's A Winter
    Flightless Man

Chapter 31: Everyone’s A Winter
    Denver, Colorado
    October 1, 2:07 PM MDT

Another of the seemingly endless vines, bursts forth from city hall. Torn messily in half, the building crumbles around the plant.

The attacks have gone on for so long, I barely have the energy to send out feeble blasts. Instead of facing the vines head on like I had been at first, Now I worry about stopping the pods from popping. Whatever that pollen is, it seems that everyone is deathly allergic to it.

Dozens of people I was too slow to save, fill the streets of downtown Denver. Pushing myself onward despite the burning in my lungs, I force my grim thoughts aside. How bad is the rest of the world?

Having terrified people running towards me... That brings a strange sensation. one I can’t quite explain yet. The closest I can come, is shocked relief.

When a pair of vines emerge from the ground, I react just a fraction of a second too slow. I get sent flying along with the rubble of the road and skid to a stop almost a block away.

“And that’s why I want out.” Spitting out a glob of pink spit, I grit my teeth and unleash everything I have left.

The beam only manages to freeze the closer tendril, which shatters into hundreds of steaming chunks. It’s friend strikes down at me again and I know it’s moving too fast. I’m going to make it hurt at least.

My icy skin turns erupts with jagged spikes and I wait for the impact. Only it never comes.

Prying my eyes open, I peer up at a beautiful miracle. Did my luck actually not suck for once?

A raven haired woman hangs in the air effortlessly, her sword dripping with green ooze as she carves through the vine. The form fitting black bodysuit is speckled with what looks like silver stars and it almost stops me from seeing her ally.

My ‘cousin’ Black Lightning is zipping through the air, blasting apart dozens of spore pods at a time. Really hope I don’t get shocked again. It’s one of the few things my numbness has no effect on.

“Sorry we’re late Sub-Zero!” Calls down the woman, her accent vaguely Greek. “We had to save a Queen first. Besides, it seemed like you had things well in hand.” For the first couple of hours,... Maybe.

“What about everyone else?” Doesn’t the League have three whole teams to through at things now?

A boom of thunder echoes behind me and I turn to watch Black Lightning fry another vine that lunges for my spine. “Busy around the world. Belle Reve and Black Gate have already been cracked open and the League is trying to keep it contained.”

“Don’t forget the other four super-max prisons!” The raven haired beauty calls down, her silver lasso wrapping around a mass of green.

“Arkham?” My heart drops at the thought of Nora trapped in her tube. Viktor wouldn’t leave her.

“Was one of the last ones hit...” She trails off to heave an uprooted plant towards the mountains. “But one of the Green Lanterns has it in a bubble now. The older one from the Justice Society.”

Before I have a chance to ask, she clarifies with a roll of her eyes. “We really do need to number them all or something. Because Guy says they have thousands in space.”

“And what about the teens?” How the hell would Roy and Artemis take one of these things on?

“Dealing with the source of the problem.” Black Lightning lands beside me and we exchange awkward looks. “... Sorry about trying to kill you last time we met.”

“Don’t worry about it. Dad tried lots of times, he just never apologized after.” I can see the guilt in his eyes and I’m not having any of that. “I’m fully aware you had even less control than I did.”

Relief flashes across his face and I keep going before he can interrupt. “Besides... You’re making up for trying to end the world. Dick move to blame you now.”

“Kinda got inspired by one of my few decent family members,” He admits with a shrug. “Hard to look at myself in the mirror, if I ran away from what I did. Not after some kid can face his own crimes with a head held high.” Does he mean me?

The idea that I inspired a genuine superhero... Wow.

“Thanks?” Unsure how to respond to such heartfelt words, I try to keep an eye out for more vines.

“No, thank you. I may not have known about you before Yellowstone.” He holds out a hand and shakes my own firmly. “But you’re family now Glenn. You can call me Jefferson.”

Returning my own greeting with a tired smile, I point up at the flying warrior. “And what do I call her?”

“Donna.” I get a knowing smirk from Jefferson, not reacting outwardly after days of Jade’s far more crass teasing. “Or you might know her better as Troia. She felt a bit too old to go by Wonder Girl.” Because that graceful angel is all woman.

Infinity Island
    October 2, 5:16 AM EEST

Smirking at the blacked out profiles of his fellow members of the Light, Ra’s al Ghul plots to take all that they have. Once they have served my purpose of course.

It wouldn’t do to throw away a resource, before it spoils. And we still have a few mutual enemies.

“It’s a relief having one of our plans go off so perfectly.” The only woman among them is smug. “We may have lost Count Vertigo for now. But we know the Starro-tech works.” Not that any of us feel otherwise after such a success.

“Arkham surviving our attack is no great loss,” Adds the robotic voice of the Brain. “The test proved that those more mentally unstable, are the ones most likely to overcome the control.”

“But only after weeks of subservience. By that point, it will be far too late for the heroes to stop us.” Gloats Vandal Savage, the current leader of the organization. “Are the Atlanteans ready for deployment?”

Glad to finally be rid of the ‘freaks’, Ocean Master’s laugh sounds more like a cackle. “Nearly three thousand of them are ready to revolt on my signal. It will be easy enough to replace my brother in the chaos.”

“And our replacements? Is your ‘son’ and his team ready to replace the Justice League?” The immortal caveman directs his next question to Lex Luthor.

“They can finally tie their shoes without a babysitter,” Klarion the Chaos Lord cuts in with a sneer somehow felt through the monitor. “But Waller has her work cut out for her with those idiots.”

“My daughter will join them. It’s vital we control the public’s perception of us.” Growling at that, Vandal’s words echo true in the mind of Ra’s.

Young Glenn has made that very apparent. In such a short time, he has gone from one of America’s most wanted to one of it’s celebrities.​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 45 others like this.
  12. NightmareWarden

NightmareWarden Versed in the lewd.

Hmm. Who could be on the Light’s new hero team and what will the team be called?

1. Jinx (possessed by part of Glenn’s soul and altered a bit by chaos magic),
    2. Alex (Match the kryptonian clone, who has some sort of mental programming),
    3. Some sort of Atlantean, I presume,
    4. Scandal Savage (though she may help from the shadows rather than as a visible member),
    5. Likely a cyborg or android from Brain (or Gizmo from Teen Titans),
    6. And at least one reference to another series. Perhaps those four heroes Cadmus cloned endlessly in Justice League Unlimited show.
    I’d be very amused if someone naïve like Starfire got roped into a villain-backed team. I don’t think any of the other Marvels would get roped into it though.

13. Flightless Man

1: Cameron in Jinx's body.
    2: Clark, code named Adonis right now. (Match the Kryptonian clone.)
    3: Atlantean.
    4: Mute girl (Not Cassie, because that's just way to obvious.).
    5+6: The evil Wonder twins from Justice League Unlimited.
    7: Scandal Savage
    8: -Redacted-
    9: -Redacted-
    10: -Redacted-

+: Guardian basically as the Rick Flags of the Suicide Squad.
    + less public members: Waller, , Genomorphs. and one other person we've seen already.

When/if Starfire appears, it will be her Teen Titan version, since Assimilation is already using the 70's version so masterfully.

14. Threadmarks: Interlude 19: Sitting In A Tin Can, High Above The World
    Flightless Man

Interlude 19: Sitting In A Tin Can, High Above The World
    Watchtower
    October 2, 8:19 AM PDT

After recapturing less than half of the fleeing convicts, the Justice League meets to discuss the herbal assault. As current chairman, Batman quickly summarizes the more surprising events. At least to the rest of the League.

“Even though Patrick O’Brion has turned down the League’s offer of membership. Plasticman has proven himself willing to act in a time of global crisis.” The stretchy man’s face appears on everyone’s personal display.

“The guy came in handy on the bridge. He caught a school bus that Canary and I, had no chance in heck of catching.” Green Arrow praises the hopeful actor. “Though he did make sure all the camera’s caught his good side.”

Nodding at the words, the Martian Manhunter brings up the help provided to him and Aquaman. “The attempt to spread us thin, would have succeeded without such surprising aid.”

“Thomas Berensford was already clearing away the Eiffel Tower by the time we arrived,” Adds a distracted Aquaman. “Kiteman’s tour company was performing aerial rescues and swarms of rats lead the rest to safety.”

“Leaving us free to attack the plants directly,” The Martian takes over once more.

“Alan Scott managed to keep Arkham from facing anything but cosmetic damage.” A grim Superman clenches his fists in frustration over not being better. “But the same can not be said for the Belle Reve or Black Gate.”

Hawkman chuckles darkly at how easy it was to spread the heroes too thin. “Russia and China have similar issues. Though they haven’t reported it yet.”

“Australia, Japan, Brazil, Egypt, and Spain, are all in the same situation,” His wife growls beside him.

Agreeing with the assessment, the Flash knows he could have done better. “We’re going to be working double shifts for a while.”

“Britain was the only other country to keep it’s super-max prison intact.” Shaking his head in frustration, the Atom raises an amusing point. “It sounds like Weather Wizard will be receiving a lordship for his services.”

“Sir Jack will be getting one as soon as his prosthetic finishes human trials.” Blue Beetle has been following the research with rapt attention and confirms the man deserves the praise. “And if anyone here happens to know any billionaires, I recommend you tell them to invest now.” I know I already have.

Superman snorts at the name left out. “Toyman isn’t getting one for his amusement park?”

“No.” Batman’s blunt response makes the Man of Steel smile ever so slightly. “But all the vehicles he’s providing the British military, those have gotten him one.”

“Oh...” The smile on Superman’s face is replaced with a shameful grimace.

“The covert team’s recruits all performed acceptably.” Hal Jordan brings up the faces of Chief, Negative Woman, and Robot Man. “I see no reason to keep them on probation after yesterday.”

His fellow Green Lantern Jon Stewart, raises his own hand in support. “Seconded.”

“If we’re discussing promotions. What about Red Arrow?” Trying to act casual, Green Arrow strokes his forked beard. “Is he still in the running?”

“Yes. But I think it’s better if we raise the age of membership to the League.” Batman holds a hand up to stall any of Oliver Queen’s arguing. “He’s doing an exceptional job and you cannot deny being a leader is good for him. So three more years should mean you can finally retire.”

The other heroes chuckle at the archer’s huff of annoyance and quickly vote to set the minimum mental age at twenty one. With Roy’s improvement being praised by all of them, even Green Arrow ends up coming around to the idea.

“What about the kids?” Giovanni Zatara scowls at his daughter once again being sent on a mission outside the team’s capabilities. “These are not the missions I was told Zatanna would be taking part in.”

“They did admirably in the face of such odds.” Wonder Woman’s voice is filled with respect.

“Has Captain Marvel told them yet?” Concerned at the harm such a secret would cause, Black Canary reminds everyone that the villains knew his true age before most of the League. “Or does it need to be made an order?”

Shaking his head firmly, Batman denies the suggestion. “Not going to happen. William will tell Young Justice, when he is ready.” Probably around the same time he gets over being stuck on the team for the better part of a decade.

“Like he told us?” Wonder Woman is still unhappy at her allies deception.

“He is aware that Sub-Zero knows,” Icon brings up the difference in situations. “And that he gave the list of names to both Red Arrow and Huntress.”

“Maybe you should have your sister remind him.” Snorting at the idea, the Flash directs his words to the restored Red Tornado. “Because I think he forgot.”

Glad to change the subject, Wonder Woman grabs her chance. “My own sister gave a glowing report of Glenn’s performance in Denver. Though he was as taken by Amazonian beauty as when you first met me.”

Flash flushes at the words and tries not to remember his fast mouth. “At least I know where Wally gets it from... Probably should talk to him about that.”

“Can’t believe you trusted the kid enough, to leave him the whole city for so long.” Superman raises an amused eyebrow at Batman. “He must have really impressed you.”

“Only because he was trying to suck up to you,” Retorts the detective with a smirk, getting confused looks from most of the other heroes present. “Thanks for playing along with the kids’ scheme. It’s giving them an outlet to just be children.”

“Robin’s a great kid. He’s so enthusiastic about everything, it’s really starting to bring Superboy out of his shell.” Giving the Flash an apologetic shrug, the Man of Steel’s forced to admit that Sonic can really monopolize a conversation.

Still confused at the mistaken identity, Green Arrow asks the question on everyone’s mind. “But why does he think Superman is Bruce Wayne? They don’t even live in the same city.”

“I had the guy help me out a few years ago. Bruce helped me throw Lex Luthor of the trail of my actual identity.” Superman fills them in on some of the times people have gotten them confused. “And Lois Lane was getting pretty close for a while, until I had Bruce help out again. Sub-Zero could have spoken to either of them.”​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 48 others like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Chapter 32: Coldly Going Where No Man Has Before
    Flightless Man

Chapter 32: Coldly Going Where No Man Has Before
    Denver, Colorado
    October 2, 7:25 AM MDT

Deciding it would probably impress Donna if I helped search for survivors, I end up working well past sunrise beside her and Jefferson. The two dart in and out of the buildings in danger of coming down, while I add as much extra support as I can. Which is really hard with most of the road in the sewer.

By the time Jade finds me, I’ve moved onto creating single lane bridges. The van has picked up a few dents and a massive crack in the windshield. But I’m impressed it’s still in one piece.

“Don’t tell me you’re going to stick around to clean all this shit up.” The assassin scowls at me as she slams the door behind her.

I want to screw with her and say yes. But the escaping yawn is enough to betray how tired I really am.

“You never actually told me where to come find you. So I figured it was best if I waited in the last you saw me.” My eyes drift towards the Amazon and her beauty that must be a divine gift.

Jade snorts as she follows my gaze, the sound almost daring me to act. But I manage to restrain myself to words that could probably be interpreted as only friendly.

“I can barely stay on my feet. You two want to join us for breakfast?” I’ve seen a few places start opening up and will have my victory waffles. “My treat.”

Jefferson is the one who accepts with a grateful thanks. While Donna’s eyes locked onto Jade, the two appraising a fellow warrior by body language alone.

“Feel free to tell me to shut up.” My ‘cousin’ tilts his head and stares at the sheet of scrap metal still strapped to the hood of the Mystery Machine. “But why do you have that?”

“Some kind of space metal.” I keep the answer vague, knowing Jade is glaring daggers into my skull. “It’s super light and yet somehow still capable of space travel. Makes some of the best weapons as well.”

That seems to intrigue Donna, who waits for my permission to reach a hand up. “It is strong.”

She’s clearly exerting a lot of force as she squeezes, but no deformation appears in the metal at all. It doesn’t even bend.

“And what are you going to do with it?” I can see the want plain as day and realize I have a way to extend her stay a bit longer.

“See if Blue Beetle can shape it for me.” Now Donna’s sapphire eyes gleam. “Make some things for a few friends.”

Grabbing one of the knots in the wire, I undo it with a final tug. “I could be convinced to save some for you. If you can do a little favour for me first.”

Rolling her eyes at the expected come on, Donna still seems willing to put up with me. “As long as it’s nothing illegal or shameful. I will consider it.”

“Whoa... You got me all wrong Donna.” No, you really don’t. “I just wanted to know if you could show me how to use a whip. Saw how good you are with the lasso you got.” If I can’t make a good impression in that amount of time, it’s just not meant to be.

“That’s all you want, some lessons?” The annoyance on her face is quickly swapped out for embarrassment.

“I’ll be back in Gotham by February.” Nora isn’t going to leave Viktor alone in that hellhole. I better start looking for a two room place if I want to be a good son. “That enough time to free up your schedule?”

Donna gives me a slow nod as we enter the restaurant. “It should be.”

My response gets interrupted when everyone inside starts to clap, with a few of the cooks even throwing in some whistles. Shocked at the reception, I freeze in place.

“What’s going on?” No one acted like this after Yellowstone and I helped save the world that time.

“That’s what happens when you bail right after the emergency.” Jefferson laughs at my stunned expression and lets the hostess know how many are dining. “You miss out on the gratitude.”

“I’m not a super hero like you two.” I’ve been very clear about that.

Pointing at a family of five in the corner and the little girl I vaguely remember saving, Jefferson has an easy time proving his point. “Tell that to everyone you saved before we got here.”

“Wasn’t good enough to save all of them.” The faces of the survivors may blur together. But I’m never going to forget the ones I was too slow for.

Jade rolls her eyes at the comment, not liking when I get mushy. But Donna seems to reevaluate me once again.

“Word around the Hall of Justice...” Waiting until he has my undivided attention, Jefferson shares his hopefully useful advice. “That’s how all of us feel and it only gets a little bit easier. Superman said it’s why so many heroes retire within the first five years.”

“I’ll help out if it’s something on this kind of level. But I’m not looking for trouble.” Not once I deal with Psimon. “Costumes are for special occasions, not something I want to slip on every day.”

The waiter is almost offended when I say I’ll be covering the bill. Letting me know in no uncertain terms that the waffles will keep coming until we burst. All on the very grateful house might I add.

“Can I quote you to Batman on that?” Smirks Jefferson as he pours six packets of cream into his coffee. “Because the League was stretched pretty thin yesterday.”

“I gu-” I’m interrupted by a nervous tap on the arm.

“Yes?” I turn to find a line of kids, teens, and even a few adults waiting patiently.

The girl who got my attention is indeed the one I rescued from the parking garage, now with a Johnny Cage shirt on. “Could we please have your autograph?” Clutched in the twelve year old's shaking fist, is a brand new copy of Mortal Kombat ten. “And Miss Jade’s too?”​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 51 others like this.
  16. Barbaric_Bob

Barbaric_Bob [Barbarus-Maximus]

Ras:...one of my shadows is now world famous
    Lex: so?
    Ras: do you have any idea how annoying it would be if I killed her now? I would have to go and get myself a skin as Shang Tsung, I hate that guy! not worth it, better to cut her loose

17. Flightless Man

You know whats really funny. I didn't plan 90% of the mortal Kombat stuff. It just works perfectly. Shiva is also an MK character, Original Sub Zero becomes the robo Noob Saibot, the second Sub zero becomes an anti hero.

18. Threadmarks: Chapter 33: Going Snowwhere Fast
    Flightless Man

Chapter 33: Going Snowwhere Fast
    El Paso, Texas
    October 4, 2:51 PM MDT

With a hood pulled tight over my head, I check the parking lot nervously. When I don’t see any fans, I sigh in relief. “Alright. Go find something we can go to Gotham in and I’ll ask Ted to do something with the van.”

“I can pick whatever I want?” Jade’s calculated smirk sends a shiver down my spine.

“No bikes. The vibrations rattle my teeth too much.” It’s only got to get us across a few more states, I can put up with almost anything for a couple days.

After I get the sheet of metal untied, I am once again amazed at being able to lift it alone. If this thing was made out of steel, it would weigh at least a thousand pounds.

Jade’s cab pulls up while she loops the fancy wire over my shoulder and she gives me a vague time to expect her back. Once I give my own farewell, I make a beeline towards one of the loading bay doors.

It’s not one of Ted Kord’s most fancy buildings, I note to myself as I bang on the door. But I guess that’s better for staying discreet.

The door clanks up after only a few seconds, revealing a workshop a few lines past the top. Dozens of projects fill the hangar sized space, with a grinning Ted waiting at a free table.

“Glad you thought of me for this,” He admits with a grin. “I’m always up for some cutting edge science.”

When I drop the sheet in front of him, the melodic chime makes his jaw drop. “Do you have any idea what this is?”

“Of course I do.” I did find it. “It’s Thanagarian metal. The mummified bodies kind of gave it away.” Shrugging at his shock, I let him know that I made sure to entomb them among their people.

“I know it’s really strong, incredibly light, and should carve through magic like butter.” Ted nods dumbly as I explain what I want made.

“That’s barely going to use half of this...” His eyes shine with an unfamiliar excitement. “What are you going to do with it?”

Realizing he was going to do the work for free, I smirk at the excited scientist. “Pay you.”

“Was this all that you found?” It doesn’t sound like greed in his voice, more like objective curiosity.

“This was my cut. So don’t ask where I found it.” I make a deal, I keep it.

“Fair enough.” His business mind accepts the words, clashing with the idea of just being handed such value. “I can really have whatever is left over?”

Nodding at the eager man, I even pull my helmet off. “Yeah and I was wondering if you could reshape this into something more game accurate.”

The black parts of my costume are going to remain the new military body armour, very flexible and capable of stopping most small arms. But I want all the blue parts to be replaced with the alien metal.

Which means I need all the jagged parts trimmed off the helmet and turned into a mouth guard. Otherwise it will be pretty much impossible to pull the hood over it and really complete the look.

“Really going all in on the brand?” He doesn’t seem judgmental about my choice and that’s all it takes for me to open up.

“I finally understand the reason for wearing a costume.” Fame is not something I know how to deal with. “The pressure of all those kids staring at you...”

Laughing at my horrified face, Ted tries using a diamond tipped drill on the sheet. The bit explodes almost instantly, sending shards of metal flying across the workshop.

“Glenn!” The shocked Blue Beetle calls out. “Are you alright?”

I don’t feel anything at first, only glancing down at my left arm after it starts to itch. “Little bit of shrapnel, doesn’t look like it went in too deep though. You got a first aid kit in here?”

He ends up freaking out more than me, none of the metal deep enough to bypass my numbness. It’s only when I grab some pliers and pull the first one out without flinching, that Ted starts to believe me.

“It’s like a dentist rubbed Novocain all over my body.” I ignore his grimace, pulling the final piece out without flinching. “Was really useful growing up with Icicle.” I refuse to call him Senior ever again.

Uncomfortable with how much I just let slip, Ted’s jaw twitches as he searches for something to say. “... You’re cutting the trip short before hitting all fifty states?”

“I’ve always known it would be Gotham.” I just had fun keeping everyone guessing. “Figured I may as well clean my slate before becoming a student.” Get the last four jobs done and wash my hands of the Shadows.

“Lets try this again, with some proper safety gear this time.” Ted hands me a sleeved apron and points to a box of gloves. “Ear plugs and safety goggles are on the shelf.”

I lose track of time as I hand the brilliant man whatever he needs. The different attempts Ted comes up with all fail and that only excites him even more.

It’s only when we take a break and pull out our ear plugs that we hear the strange jingling. “Is that what I think it is?” A glance at the clock reveals we’ve been working well past seven and my stomach rumbles.

“We get food trucks out here sometimes. But I’ve never heard one of those.” Ted is just as confused as I am, tossing his apron onto a chair.

I glance out at the security display and my eyes widen at the confirmation that greets them. “It’s exactly what it sounds like.”

We both start sprinting for the door, desperate to be first in line. It’s only when I hip check him to the pavement, that I realize who exactly is waiting inside the ice cream truck.

“You said I could get anything with two seats.” Jade smirks down at me, taking a long and deliberate lick of her chocolate cone. “So I put a cushion on the cooler for you.”​

Last edited: May 19, 2022
    Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 50 others like this.
  19. SIDoragon

SIDoragon Dragon of Story and Song

Jade has no chill, and I love it

20. Siiracai The Supernal

Siiracai The Supernal Shadows and Balance

No, she has lots of chill now. A whole truck full.

21. Barbaric_Bob

You can't just icecream block a man, that's against the Geneva convention

22. Paladin strange

Paladin strange Getting sticky.

I thought "Junior" in the comics was lactose intolerant

Flightless Man likes this.
  23. Flightless Man

It's the petty revenge you need to enjoy.

Still not as cool as me.

He would have done it if he was a bit faster. I feel no shame.

That just makes it even meaner on Jades part. she knows that and thinks he won't eat anything with dairy (like 80% of the treats). Too bad revenge is sweet.

24. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

Which 100% explains why he was evil.

25. Threadmarks: Interlude 20: We All Scream
    Flightless Man

Interlude 20: We All Scream
    Gotham, New Jersey
    October 7, 3:04 PM EDT

The end of day bell rings and Artemis Crock finds a very amused Dick Grayson waiting for her at the bottom of the stairs. Beside him, Barbara Gordon is trying hard to keep a straight face.

“You are never going to believe what’s outside.” The teen Artemis knows is Robin thanks to Glenn, bounces on his heels.

“The kind of thing Batman needs to take care of?” The school hasn’t been attacked yet this year, but it is only the fifth week. Considers the slightly older blonde with a concerned scowl.

Understanding the worry, Barbara rushes to assures her. “Nothing bad, I promise.”

“Is it raining candy?” Not sure what it could be, Artemis tries to play along. Not really used to good surprises.

The comment gets Dick to hold one hand up and wiggle it back and forth. “Closer than I expected.”

“You can explain anytime you know. Not all of us love playing Nancy Drew.” Eyebrows shooting into her bangs, Artemis is even more confused.

“Try to stay whelmed.” The Boy Wonder leads the way to the front doors of the school, the hallways far emptier than normal.

Exiting one of the oldest buildings in Gotham, the trio find an ice cream truck surrounded by classmates. Instead of the laughter the other two expected, Artemis grinds her teeth in annoyance.

“What is her problem? She knows Glenn is lactose intolerant.” Her glare is directed at Jade handing out free treats from the window of the truck.

“Psst!” A guy standing in the shade of a tree motions for the trio, who approach the nervous guy carefully.

“Glenn?” Dick notices the skin colour first and blurts out his name. “What are you doing?”

The ice user looks around frantically and sighs. “Keep it down. It took forever to ditch the AV club.”

“Why are you here?” Arms crossed, Artemis is not happy at so much commotion around her private life.

“Just got back in town around noon and wanted to pick you up. See what happened with the Biollante babies.” He hunches down a few inches and tries to stay in the middle of the trio.

Dick smirks at the artist and gestures to the new vehicle. “What happened to the van?”

“Getting tricked out by Kord,” Explains a suddenly shifty Glenn. “You’re going to love what I got you for Christmas.”

“You’re getting me something?” That shocks the acrobat, not thinking them that close.

“I’ve followed your career for a long time and you’ve always been an inspiration to me.” The casual way Glenn speaks, has the other three suddenly concerned about secret identities. “Being confident enough to run around in a skin tight leotard, that’s real bravery. And I can’t even work up the nerve to do a flip into the water.”

Relief fills Dick as he realizes it’s only his circus career being referenced. “It’s really not that hard.” And I’m honestly a little surprised Artemis never made you try.

“Hope you liked the sculpture and found somewhere cool to keep it.” Glenn smiles at the boy before turning to the red headed girl. “And I saw your dad kept the bats up in front of the police station. Hope that means we’re good.”

Only remembering at the last second, Barbara manages to keep the charade going. “... He doesn’t really have the time to think about the people on the right side of the law.”

“So no super secret plan to kill me in the most painful way possible?” A very relieved Glenn asks.

“He has a few. But they didn’t really take him that long.” Dick is quicker on the uptake and steers Sub-Zero’s mind down a very specific lane. “I know we had a salt shortage in town a few weeks ago.”

Rolling her eyes at the run around, Artemis put the very obvious pieces together only days after learning Robin’s identity. “So why are you back in town already? You barely hit a third of the states.”

“Nora’s surgery first surgery is coming up and I thought I should have a place ready for her.” The very embarrassed Glenn kicks a rock down the sidewalk. “After I get her settled, Jade and I are going to zip through my jobs.”

The mention of the tasks has Dick share an uncomfortable look with Artemis, one that Glenn thankfully misses. “Heard about the glacier. You’re really naming it after the Frieses?”

“The first one at least,” Agrees a very proud Glenn. “Next one’s getting named after Paula.”

“Any idea where that’s going to be?” Artemis tries to keep her voice casual.

“Jade said our tickets are to France. Which will give me a chance to look up Tommy and let him know he can stop laying low.” The reformed villain’s eyes light up. “That reminds me. I should see if Tuppence wants to work for me again.”

That concerns Barbara, knowing how many big names the girl has strong armed over at the Iceberg Lounge. “What do you need a super strong minion for? Thought you went straight.”

“I go both ways.” Smirking at a suddenly cherry red Barbara, Glenn wiggles his eyes like a fool. “Give me a call in a few years. I’ll show you what I mean.”

“Not what she meant,” Interjects a suddenly tense Dick.

“I know.” Grins the teen who looks like a frostbite victim, finally deciding to stop teasing his younger friends. “Want someone to keep Nora safe while I’m gone. Viktor made more than a few enemies and everyone who busted out of Belle Reve is probably gunning for me now.”

“Still can’t believe you tried to stop a prison break all by yourself.” Barbara Gordon shakes her head in disbelief.

The phrasing makes a tick grow above Glenn’s right eye and he must correct the foolish girl. “What do you mean tried? Only people who got out that day, are the ones I arranged a deal for.”

“So not only did you stop one. But you also arranged your own at the same time?” Clarifies Barbara, her nose crinkling in amusement. “Really glad you decided to turn a new leaf before moving to Gotham.”

Blushing a shade of dark purple instead of the standard red, Glenn points at a free spot on the lawn in an attempt to divert the six eyes. “What’s the school mascot?”​

26. Barbaric_Bob

barb-barbara-barbie, it's not a breakout. it's early parole negotiation with good behavior to cement the deal

27. Threadmarks: Chapter 34: A Ho Ho Horrible Idea
    Flightless Man

Chapter 34: A Ho Ho Horrible Idea
    Gotham, New Jersey
    October 8, 6:13 PM EDT

“Mom said Nora can have your room. I don’t see why you need to talk to the Penguin about this.” Artemis is more annoyed at having to come back to such a shady place, not any really frustration with my overall choice.

“I didn’t give Paula the gold so I could be her sugar daddy.” My comment has Artemis gagging instantly.

“Never say that again.” Her words come out in a snarl. “Or I will hurt you in ways Jade could only dream of.”

It’s easy to tell she doesn’t mean it. The blonde sister really just don’t have it in her be that vicious and her eyes betray the fact.

“Fine...” Taking a few seconds to laugh in her face, I smirk gleefully. “But I gave you and your mom the gold because I trust you. Not because I wanted you to work for it.”

“Barbara’s right, I’m really glad you aren’t going against us anymore.” She shakes her head at the idea. “You’d end up with an army of fanatics. Probably focused on reshaping national monuments or something stupid.”

“Whose face is right beside Lincoln?” And once I finish my degree, I do have to fix Jefferson. “Maybe I should think about politics.”

That gets a full belly laugh out of my best friend and I hold up a fist in victory. “You even consider doing that. You better give me and mom enough warning so we can go visit family in Vietnam.”

“Mister Fri... er.” I don’t even have to wait in line this time, the bouncer waving at us before we even reach the stairs. “I’m not actually sure what to call you now. We already have a Mister Friese in our files.”

Offering a pleasant smile to the suddenly nervous man who towers over me, I realize being called Junior isn’t going to piss me off anymore. “How about you tell me your name and I let you call me Glenn?”

I know Artemis is rolling her eyes at my back. But I make sure to find out about Doug and his girlfriend Lark, Oswald’s very own personal chauffeur.

The next words could be ominous with the wrong tone, but I don’t even get a hint of danger when the smiling bouncer fills me in. “Mister Cobblepot is expecting you in the back. Probably shouldn’t keep you any longer Glenn.”

“Just let me know Oswald gives you any grief about maternity leave. I’ll be around pretty regularly come the spring and I look after my friends.” The man with wrists thicker than my waist nods vigorously and opens the door to the illicit business going on inside.

“Why didn’t you get Jade to come with you. I can see at least eight people I should be taking down right now.” Artemis fails at keeping the scowl off her face as she surveys the room.

“Because she might have been able to convince me to talk to one of the crazy ones.” Would be just like Jade to try starting a bar fight in a place this fancy.

I notice a few empty glass tanks that seem to be refrigerated on the way to the back and groan. Of course Oswald wants a monopoly on my work.

Waiting for us in the private room, is Oswald and Tuppence. He looks like the same short pudgy little man. But Tuppence has definitely come into her own, wearing her pristine white suite with pride.

“Glenn my boy, so good of you to return.” He gestures for Artemis and I to take the only other to chairs at the intimately size table. “How can I, the humble Oswald Cobblepot, possibly be of service to such a splendid artist as you?”

“I was going to cut straight to the chase. But if you want to keep buttering me up...” I don’t mind, it’s kind of nice.

“You’re one of the few who has not once judged me on my looks or past. I’d rather deal with you honestly my friend.” He has dollar signs in his eyes. “It’s much more profitable to skirt the line of law and it’s so nice to finally have someone else who understands.”

I fill him in on my travel plans and the need for someone to keep Nora safe. Oswald isn’t so happy at the idea of losing Tuppence so soon and offers an alternative.

“Tuppence can keep an eye on Nora until you return with her brother the knight.” He even offers to pay for all of my flights and I realize he truly does value my former help.

“The idiot says he ain’t going to leave France until you give him the all clear.” Snorts a very frustrated Tuppence. “So go give it to him and I’ll make sure yer ma is happy as can be.”

Feeling bad at not having Ted make her something, I realize it’s probably hard to find someone capable of training her. “I’m going to be getting some lessons from an Amazon in the spring. You want to join us for a few sessions?”

“For real?” Her eyes nearly pop out of her skull. “That would be amazing!” The raw excitement is unexpected until I realize she had heroes growing up too.

“How come I don’t get the same offer?” Artemis frowns at me, only half teasing.

“You really want to watch me hit on her?” Now annoyed at me, Artemis seems to lose interest. “I figured that would be a little awkward for you.”

Nodding firmly, she gives me an unnamable expression. “Thanks.”

“I’ll let you rent one of my penthouses. For a very good deal might I remind you.” Oswald isn’t going to let that go for a long time. “And all I want in return, is for you to fill my new gallery with your work.”

“And a fifty percent commission on everything you sell for me.” I heard the numbers at Arkham. I know how valuable my work is going to be.

“Only until you finish your bachelors degree,” Oswald clarifies with a calculated smirk on his face. “I shall of course give you seventy percent once you do.”

With how big the numbers are, I honestly can’t even tell who the deal works out better for. “Alright. Until I get my degree.”

Once we shake on it and I finish my dinner, Oswald has me fill a few of the empty displays. It seems the richer villains paid quite a hefty sum, for the Lounge to display the greatest victories against the Bat.​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 49 others like this.
  28. FTR2017

FTR2017 Well worn.

I must admit it is quite fun to see a Cobblepot who is a reasonable businessman/mafia boss rather than the lunatic he's usually portrayed as.

Also, Tuppence is now happy to have followed Glenn's recommendation eh? :p

29. Flightless Man

Gotham has enough crazies. I like the idea of him only using his crazy looks to fit right in.

"two bosses fighting over ho gets me? Don't ya know how to make a henchwoman feel special."

Wild Transient likes this.
  30. Threadmarks: Chapter 35: I Don't Want To Mistletoe A Thing
    Flightless Man

Chapter 35: I Don’t Want To Mistletoe A Thing
    Arkham Asylum, Gotham City
    October 9, 2:02 PM EDT

Several large cracks have appeared in the walls since my last visit and I’m relieved it withstood the attack. The original Green Lantern is definitely getting an exhibit in his honour, with my half of the proceeds going directly to him.

I’m not really sure how to get a hold of the man to work out such a thing. But Wally should be able to arrange a phone call at the very least.

Viktor greets me with the warmest smile yet and ushers me into his cell. “I don’t know how Morrow created such advanced organs. Even today, it’s a feat beyond any but our most brilliant scientific minds.”

“So they’ll work?” I try hard to avoid thinking about where the synthetic organs came from. “Nora doesn’t have the wrong blood type or something?”

“She will be walking around at the end of the month.” The sheer glee is strange to hear coming from such a reserved man. “And dancing by the summer!”

“Since Morrow is dead, I ended up getting most of his patents by default.” Red Tornado and his sister are robots and Jefferson doesn’t want his secret getting out. “How do you feel about making this your full time gig? I can get my legal team to start getting you a deal if you do.”

His lips quirk into an amused grin. “I’m serving three life sentences. What does it matter if you get it shaved down to two?”

“Oswald and I stayed up most of the night...” I fill him in on the loophole we found around four in the morning. “Five years and you can bring Nora to my graduation yourself.” I just have to sign over the patent and Viktor has to switch to non profit work.

“Do you have any idea how much money you’re losing out on?” He tries to talk me out of the idea, but I remain firm in my choice.

“Do you know how much it sucks to think you’re alone in the world?” I snap back with a little heat and Viktor’s eyes drift to his frozen wife. “She doesn’t count. Everything you did was for someone you know loves you back.”

“So you’d just give up billions for me.” It’s not a question, just a statement of shocked disbelief that takes a while to sink in.

Shrugging at what sounds like some great sacrifice, I know I’m never going to worry about my bank account. “I’ll make more.”

We spend most of our hour talking about my trip. Viktor even remembers to ask about the angry blonde and he seems impressed at how I handled the situation.

“I was always too nervous. Nora was the one who had to make the first twenty moves.” He tells me about the first time he saw her perform Swan Lake and how graceful she was. “Even now I’m scared, that I’ll wake back up the day before she asked me for tutoring.”

When I tell him about the glacier I named after ‘our’ family, his eyes start to shimmer with pride. “I don’t think Batman found all of my stockpiles. If it truly drained you so much, maybe you should bring one of my freeze guns with you to France.”

“Kind of hard to sneak that past customs.” But if it works anything like Icicle’s own weapon, it would be a hell of a lot easier to get the job done.

“You’ve already proven you can do the job without one. Use those League connections and get yourself an exemption.” Viktor explains the process with even smaller words after it becomes clear I’m still lost.

By the end of the second hour, I finally know where to search and how to get the tech to Europe. Viktor even comes around to the idea of figuring out how to reduce the radiation produced by the artificial organs. Hopefully we can stop anyone else from ending up like me.

“Any other patents you want to hand out?” As I’m about to leave, Viktor is happy enough to tease.

“Nothing else that uses a fuel source you have experience with.” I gave Red Tornado everything that had to do with his construction and the same with Firebrand.

Since I made sure to give the League permission to hold onto Jefferson’s... That really only leaves me with Torpedo and Volcano’s files. And I’m pretty sure it’s better if those stay buried.

“Tuppence will be here to pick Nora up next week.” The penthouse isn’t anywhere close to being ready and I can’t put off my flight much longer. “The Crocks will keep her company until I get back with Tommy.”

I still need to go to Kenya, Greenland, and China after this. Starting to run out of time if I want to be finished before school starts.

“I really can never thank you enough Glenn.” He puts a hand on my shoulder and squeezes. “I have indeed made more than a few enemies.”

“Well I’ve really been learning how much better it is to make friends instead.” Somehow I even managed to flip Roy around to my side. “I recommend you try it.”

Letting out a little gasp of laughter, Viktor of course makes it difficult. “I rather doubt any of my former colleagues wish to collaborate.”

“The parents are supposed to be the ones setting up play dates you know.” I know Ted would love to get a crack at the tech. “I can get you in touch with a few minds that even you would admit are brilliant.” You all sound like you’re speaking gibberish to me.

“Hey Viktor...” I pause at the door with my hand raised to knock. “Did they throw Joker and Ivy back in here?”

“For now. Word is that the government is moving away from housing everyone at one location,” He confirms the words with a frown. “Eight people with powers to a prison and none of them will be marked down for the public to find.”​

Quenster06, Zykwuan, Darkban and 54 others like this.