• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

One Rabid Fox changes the Succession Wars [A Battletech Isekai]

I wasn't really thinking about the ComStar thing so much as that seems really late for the tank

especially if the Devastator is the actual Mk3 and that the MkI and MkII versions are SLDF tanks.

I THINK there was a background lore blurb brought up around the time ComStar started trying to expand the Comguard about reopening/rebuilding old SLDF manufacturing centers on Terra. If I remember right, companies that ComStar had major leverage over that had ties to those production lines were allowed to run them in return for the Comguard having priority purchase and the companies hiring locally. I'm just completely blanking on WHEN that happened.

New Avalon 4.4 New
New Avalon 4.4
Night had fallen on New Avalon, and with it a man in front of surprisingly sophisticated piece of technology sat digesting the day's events. The gathering, the last few days even, had been nothing unusual for what he had come to expect of the successor states. He had the advantage of the Federated Suns being the first of those that the dragoons had made contact with.

Whether or not the WolfNet operative was aware of it the main reason he'd been able to thus far avoid detection, or apprehension was the lack of sophistication to his own humint gathering efforts. Skills which were meager compared to those mature skills of the Successor State apparatus, but comparatively the successor states didn't even realize how vulnerable they were to back doors and gaps in software.

The truth was that assumption overshadowed the technological sophistication that the clans had access too, which was how the WolfNet gathered much of its information anyway... largely using Star League era back doors , and security vulnerabilities brought about by splicing in and together various systems that the science caste had been able to exploit for the warriors of the WolfNet front line.

It was a warrior on New Avalon of course, a warrior watching the elemental's image recorded in high clarity trivid footage. Another warrior caste, but from a different clan. It was a shock, but a singular individual was not impossible. He had dared to move closer, and examine what he could. There was nothing in terms of clan tech he viewed in their ranks, but if he were honest the briefings and estimations for the mission of the Dragoons were that the the Successor States would be still at the level of the Star League... and that seemed more true of this new lead.

Digging, digging for answers yielded concerns. The WolfNet operative pieced together what he could based on what he could gather from Davion sources. On Halstead Station an apparent mixed Star had stood against a charge of House Kurita's best... not that the Davion's report framed it in such terms... but he could recognized the Hells Horse colors of the tanks in the trivid battle Rom footage from the Robinson Rangers as they had moved to encircle the bloodied Kuritans from behind.

It was not, as if Zellbringen had been invoked so there was no dishonor in such.

The electronic reports though were the more interesting, or shocking. The clan warriors had not formally declared themselves as such, but the Elemental had reminded, stated clearly, that House Kurita had collaborated with the Usurper Amaris... and worse Davion data roms implied that Rim World remnants were somehow still out there.

He had to deliver such news to Colonel Wolf. There was-

The flashbang detonated as the safehouse door exploded inward as Davion commandos breached it and a bag slapped down around the clan warrior's head seconds later.

--
Aaron Sandoval marveled at the holographic projection, not so much the technology but so much as the charts. He would have liked Clay to have invested the money on Robinson, but frankly the investment on New Avalon were safer relative to the Combine border.

Pratt & Whitney of New Avalon would be expanding production of tooling. Parts mostly, the spare parts, simple parts in order to keep engines running, and also the machinery to make those tools, which would be exported to other factories. While Pratt & Whitney would still be manufacturing engines on New Avalon, so long as the capital could be defended then it could produce the industrial materials to restore or build the machinery to stock new factories.

They weren't talking about just new tanks. There were packets about civilian infrastructure investments, water purification, civil infrastructure. All important things to be sure, but the real promise were preparations for new technology arriving to existing units over the next five or so years.

"I really like," Henry remarked shoving his hand into one pocket to dig around for the pen and the computer tablet, "Blackwell's OmniVehicle, but they're expensive, not only are is the bandit a hovercraft, its a relatively large fusion powered but in price tag terms they're on par with 'mech prices." He grumbled that the hovercraft didn't even have the decency to use a 200 rated engine, "But the Badger, the earlier lighter design uses a 180 that will be significantly easier to mass produce for the market. The 215 even if Blackwell agrees immediately would take time to implement."

"So its the better option?"

"If we can secure a license, but," He paused, "Its not really the immediate matter. The OmniVehicle is based off of a Star League system for rapid refitting, there is not reason they shouldn't be applicable to 'Mechs, and ASF. Thats where I'll be sinking my techs, I have a handful of Mercury 'mechs I'll be bringing to the NAIS, they run off of 160 weight engines, but I don't think Ian's college will present them too much where, its the same engine as the locust after all."

He had had the concept of the OmniVehicle system the Blackwell combat vehicles used explained to him, and he understood the idea. "The Badger and Bandit are both for infantry deployment."

"Or skirmishing, yes, we need something heavier for engagement, but the Hover frame's alt F could meet my cavalry needs, but for mass production the 200 weight version of the Sphinx would suffice, when Pratt & Whitney expands 160 engine production the Sphinx will expand here, but that'll be next year, next fall," Henry's brows knit which was incongruous on the young battlemech pilot's face, but it was an oddity that the duke found he had become accustomed to. Just as he understood that the Sphinx using the same engine as the Locust did would be able to be produced in larger numbers... when they were talking about scale numbers across multiple planets and at unit prices where it mattered.

Sphinx tanks would be going to the DMM, going to march militia units alongside comparatively inexpensive new 'Mech designs like the Sentry. That was the grand idea. It answered the question of meeting needs for tanks, and battlemechs but other firms, and the AFFS more generally would need to procure the equipment to outfit infantry for the militia, and also it still didn't reach a solution for aircraft or for air defense.

"On that, the ICE powered versions will be fine, they've worked this long, and the main focuses will be expanding production. Anyone currently making them can keep manufacturing the internal combustion model," He shrugged at the comment even as he made it, "Its our best option. We can also field them with LRM 15 tube launchers while retaining spare parts, but I see those as our best option even as aircraft production expands."

Aaron chuckled, how easy and simple the younger duke made things sound. He believed him though, "And I can't convince you to accept a staff position on Robinson, can I?"

"Yvonne makes a good case for going to Kathil," He replied, "especially if do start moving a lot more internal trade. The carrying trade needs to be expanded in order to facilitate that shipping, my star lords are realistically going to be plying not just the main lines, Robinson to New Avalon, but also whenever it comes time to fight Kurita, there need to be other smaller but still more regular lines." They didn't, hadn't brought up Bristol... apart of Aaron wanted to be surprised with everyone else... the part of him that he knew he should smother. It was the part of him after all that was the young son who'd never been intended to inherit. As Duke he needed to know who his house's allies were and what they could accomplish... but he had other questions, and there was no hurry, "You mentioned something about the Eridani potentially visiting to Sakhara."

"I'm sure the official reason will be that Sakhara was founded by SLDF officers," He blew out a breath glancing up as the holographic table changed, rotating back to battlemech engine and weapon manufacturing tables, "Ian says he's set them up with GM and is looking to help them rebuild, but what its really about is that Combine collaborated with Amaris, fed him positions that included the 19th​ Regiment of the Regular Army getting smashed on Talitha," He had said as much before, "My Battle Company traces its lineage to the 19th​ Regiment, they're the rock I build my defenses on."

Ah the GM 180 engine. So so many decent if not good/great designs use that thing.
The blackjack, wyvern, vindicator; the 30 ton LAMs, falcon, javelin, turhan,the hatchetman, and of course the Badger.

Also if applying omni tech to ASFs the place to start would be the Spad

Last edited:
New Avalon 4.5 New
New Avalon 4.5
Alexandria recognized the machines. They were still in the bright orange and white safety colorations but they had sense been branded with the school markings of Albion Military Academy today represented an interim between the ongoing round robin of the tournament. The first prince had talked about the industriousness of the Federated Suns, the making of things.

The First Prince had been careful to heap accolades on all of the great firms of the Federated Suns of course... but the twelve Heavy BattleMechs were identical, and there were no Marauder II BattleMechs present. The machines, the assault BattleMechs that were of New Valencia which had entered production before the battle of Mallory's world, or Halstead Station. Then of course there were the companies that had been manufacturing battle mechs since the Star League, companies like General Motors, Corean, and Achernar who had all been lauded for preserving the Federated Suns against Kuritan ambitions of conquest.

She peered over at the holographic display, but didn't need to actually voice the question.

"Shogun, the engine still vexes me given that the machine's mass," He murmured more to himself, "Eighty five tons, 255 rating engine. If I wasn't trying to get the dragoons onboard I'd have probably swapped the launcher to the Zeus model, but its an LRM 15. The SRM sixes had to change, and one of them had to go, don't know what the Dragoons were thinking there... I'll ship a few to New Valencia when i can, its a small mercy though they use the same avionics as the BattleMaster."

Blackwell on New Valencia had started out just as a supplier of spare parts. They hadn't had the resources, physical capital or political to make the transition into manufacturing vehicles in their own right before they had caught the dragoons eye. She assumed that the modifications that had gone into the Shogun, from whatever version the Dragoons had returned to the Inner Sphere with would need to be approved... and thus having New Valencia act as an intermediary.

Naturally of course Justin was hoping for a list, "I'm still waiting on Haakon of course," He replied, "Mountain Wolf and the liscences will be a light and heavy battlemech entering production." Henry paused, mulling the situation... the truth was diversification, Sakhara was in the Draconic March and he had no idea how long it would take for the Dragoons to come to a decision. He changed tracks, "The truth is New Valencia,"

"Sits in between Kestrel and Bristol." Justin remarked, before protesting that he could in fact read a star map.

He wasn't wrong. The truth was a simple look at a map showed that. He wasn't wrong. New Avalon wasn't much further, the jump circuit from the Draconis March was routed through Kestrel. That was the route they had taken both trips to New Avalon... but as the circuits expanded there were already two modes of thought, to run a circuit from Kathil, something he was going to have to do the most effective way would be to reestablish a permanent presence in hitherto dead or abandoned systems. It would be possible, and more practical to run a Bristol to Kathil line... and for that matter a direct route through Friesland to New Avalon in order to connect Kathil to New Avalon. "New Valencia," He began, "to Bristol is easy, just Batavia,"

Alexandria turned back from the dirty look she'd shot her cousin, "Robinson would be more direct, New Valencia then to Bristol."

"This is true," And New Valencia was a jump from Markesan, and from there it was a route down to New Avalon. The Kestrel route from Sakhara is more efficient if we're measuring too and fro from New Avalon, and with Pratt and Whitney here I'll probably having to ship both ways ... if we even reach terms with the Dragoons any time soon," He shrugged. "The Merlin runs off of a Pitban 240 engine that's easy, the GM 210 well, not as easy, not as common but well, the Antares, and a handful of other designs we will be releasing should bring a contemporary tech Night Hawk back onto the scene."
--
From the Davion royal booth Hanse was monitoring the discussions of the Eridani. The whole point of putting the Long Swords on display was, ostensibly, to give Albion cadets a chance to show off their home institution. IN truth part of the reason the company of mechs was also to gauge the interest in them from professional soldiers. The Kell Hounds were part of that, but so to were the Eridani ... it was just that if the Kell Hounds were interested they could just ask Ian or really directly ask Clay without really need for introduction.

They had been with his brother on Mallory's world after all.

The Eridani though were a question mark, he looked down and flipped the papers, before glancing to his aunt. "Yes Hanse?" The duchess of Victoria responded seeing the look.

"The 19th​?"

She paused, "What about them?"

"Are we certain that none of the Eridani left with Keresnky?"

"Certainly, certainly not. We can't be certain of anything. To the best of our knowledge none did, certainly that is the recounting for the Eridani themselves, but if your question is did survivors of the 19th​ manage to get away, which we know now is true, then perhaps some might have." She paused, "My analysts working theory though is based on the evidence, and grievances with house Kurita aside, the horse iconography and the numbers are coincidental."

Hanse raised an eyebrow, "Coincidence."

"Treachery is the combine's brad and butter, the 302 Hussars left the Combine and signed on for the Free Worlds League," The duchy of Oriente, specifically, "They still use Star League crest, horses, and trace their lineage to the 19th​ Army."

The Fox nodded, accepting the point. He didn't like coincidences. It wasn't in his nature to like them. They were annoying, but well, yes it wasn't impossible he supposed, "And that's who you believe the other half are?"

"Yes, though I do suspect that they're descendants of Kerensky's people. It wouldn't make sense to pretend the RAC were a separate unit... it'd be too complicated. It wouldn't fit with what we see, what we can observe from their behavior versus the Battle Company. Do I think they came from SLDF stock, yes, but I suspect that their coming together with Clay, is recent... very recent, the RAC ... my understand is Robison is some kind of hereditary martial nobility, but nothing like what we see with the 19th​ Regiment's descendants."

Hanse toyed with the fountain pen he had received from his father decades earlier, and mulled, "The Eridani are there to ask questions to try and find details that we don't want to publicly ask."

"Its a precaution, and if not them the Highlanders." She replied, "Clay's loyalties are firm, and his men are loyal to him..." To a degree that if Clay weren't would have been worrying given how close his brother was to the young duke, Hanse recognized, "They're almost desperate now to see some answers unearthed about the ones who went with Kerensky."

"The succession wars have been hell." Ian replied glibly, as he entered the conversation. Hanse hadn't heard his brother approach, but when was heir, and then first prince Ian had had to learn to slip past people, "I won't chide you for doing your duty, here you are, I'm sure you have a copy forthcoming."

Hanse paged through the new papers, "Northwind, and the Duke of Rio, I suppose that makes sense he's long friends with Lord Aaron," He remarked. "No one would have considered this fifteen years ago." That Corean would be invited to undertake such, that fusion engine production would be looked at for production of several planets all producing the same model battle mech.

"Aaron does seem, is intending, I should say, on approaching your in-laws as well."

Hanse nodded, "Yes, truthfully I know they're rather settled," Old fashioned, preferring the good old days, "but with how close they are to the border, I assume there would be someone else?"

"Most of the Draconis March lords are concerned about these raids the Galedon Regulars have been making, Kesai, Errai, the list goes on... I expect they'll be approached in time even without this Samsonov brute."

"I don't see them attacking Sakhara, they're not of sufficient status." Yvonne muttered, "The sword of light would be furious if they tried, Samsonov is ambitious to be sure, and a competent pilot, but I don't think he's suicidal."

"Ordinarily I'd agree, but with the shipyard there... he might be willing to roll the dice. He could claim he wasn't treading on the Sword of Light's grievance at all." Hanse remarked glancing to his brother for the First Prince's opinion. "Ian?"

"An attack over the hols from where I understand their last position is unlikely," and Clay had his circuit in place, which the Galedon might not know, so if they were heading, they'd be attacking possibly in the spring when Clay would have been back for months, "but it might be good for everyone if the DMM were on a heightened alert, and with resources made available in the coming year."

Ian statement brought a nod, as effectively his brother's chief minister Hanse knew that was the polite way of saying that he should do something that might well... tread on another march that was already complaining about preferential treatment... but he also knew his brother well enough to know he wasn't saying everything, "What else is being discussed?"

"Oh Henry and I are going to talk about tanks, and such of course, but the 19th is on the itinerary as well. His boffins have been quite busy the last few months from what I understand."

There's showing off and then there's a dozen assault mechs appearing as if by magic. Like I could get 1 or 2 but Henry really needs to slow down with the spawning stuff in without explanation.

Also have fun with talking to Mitchell Vehicles assuming lawsuits aren't incoming since they're the owners of the shogun IP and nowadays they're based on terra.

Also the 255 is a perfectly acceptable engine to put in a 85 ton mech Hanse. Hell I'm pretty sure by percentages there's a lot more longbows and stalkers with them than there are battlemasters with 340s....well I suppose some longbows also have a 340 but they're the minority by far.

Last edited:
There's showing off and then there's a dozen assault mechs appearing as if by magic. Like I could get 1 or 2 but Henry really needs to slow down with the spawning stuff in without explanation.

Also have fun with talking to Mitchell Vehicles assuming lawsuits aren't incoming since they're the owners of the shogun IP and nowadays they're based on terra.

Also the 255 is a perfectly acceptable engine to put in a 85 ton mech Hanse. Hell I'm pretty sure by percentages there's a lot more longbows and stalkers with them than there are battlemasters with 340s....well I suppose some longbows also have a 340 but they're the minority by far.
And you're correct.

Also Hanse here is being Parochial, not objective.

NA 4.6 New
NA 4.6
The morning display, assembly, by Albion had allowed the senior academy to provide some demonstration which saved some face... not that Albion was doing poorly the tournament was going well for them in terms of actual scoring... but in truth the demonstration of the dozen heavy battlemechs in their high contrast orange white had suggested that the topic of conversation might regarding production of the Long sword BattleMechs... potentially distribution to other institutions through the Federated Suns. Currently those institutions were gathering in a reception for which Ian's absence probably would be noted before long, if his own hadn't already.

"Our concern is that its the Capellans." Ian grumbled running his finger the crystal glass within which his mix of champagne and other alcohol sat, "Its poppycock of course, they shouldn't be able to meet us on the field of battle so they resort to this nonsense."

Henry wasn't quite sure Ian was right. Ian was dismissive of the capellans militarily, was frequently railing about his brother in law's failings... but that was perhaps equally as related to the recent successes against the combine. It was no secret that the First Prince really thought the Duke of New Syrtis was a habitual complainer dragging his feet. "Then, should I expect a similar problem with the Shogun." He figured that would really be the test... this probably wasn't the Capellans, it was probably ComStar and the truth was he hadn't been thinking about things like manufacturing licenses from companies outside of the Federated Suns... or really for that matter outside of the hypothetical Federated Commonwealth...

... well that was a whole other can of worms.

"The Shogun," Ian paused, and took a long pull from his scotch and champagne cocktail, "Damn it, I fear we have gotten ahead of course, ahead of ourselves."

Neither of them expounded for a moment. He didn't bring up ComStar as a potential problem, or source of the problem with the tanks, and at least the for the moment the Shogun issue didn't' seem to be the issue at hand.

It was the tanks.

... and what could be done more broadly. Ian had been looking at an expansion of AFFS procurement, predominantly funding to the Draconis March forces so that they could wage war against the Combine. Naturlally. "Actual factory production takes time. Fitting together individual pieces if you have the pieces on hand, isn't really a problem, but its hard to do that at scale." Henry remarked, and well the hull of a tank is diffferent than a battlemech chassis. He paused... it would have been so much easier to point the finger at ComStar true or false if this had been over the Shogun, but it wasn't.

There was a chance, a slim chance that this was lawfare being conducted by the Capellans in concern of what might happen if the Federated Suns started mass production of fusion powered tanks. Was it? Well the problem, that Henry saw was there wasthe possibility it was, in which case it was a problem he hadn't foreseen, and would need to adjust to.

"We could fight it in the courts."

"It would create problems for international trade." Henry replied with a frown... "The Shrek design... there isn't any point in changing it, the Devastator I could reasonably speaking make modifications towards as a novel design." There was always debuting the Zhukov, maybe with a 300weight fusion engine since the ICE engine was roughly the same mass... it was an almost perverse thought since that was a design Aldis should have been unveiling in the future, "If we fight this, and we win in a Federated Suns court it smacks of favoritism, and worse if similar arguments are made by Terran firms,"

"We would be in the unenviable situation of where the two courts are levelling charges."

Of course the truth was the problem there, was that Aldis could threaten to boycott the Federated Suns, by itself maybe not but then companies that traded with him would probably be subject to recrimination... and all sorts of other knock-on effects. It would have international trade repercussions, make international finance difficult and potential chill relations with lyran businesses. "I'll attempt to work something out with Aldis," He replied... and made a mental note to see about Mitchell... he had to wonder if Mitchell being based on Terra was part of the reason no one had been willing to deal with the Dragoons' request or if the Shogun was just that much of a nuisance.

"We should revisit this as the situation requires." Ian remarked in a pro forma matter, "Themore important question is that steps are taken to insure that any challenge is mitigated, prevented from interfering with the defense of the realm."

Henry nodded, "Well, on that. I like the Devastator, but its expensive. A lighter cheaper tank," Though with fusion power still pricy but you didn't need power converter systems to power energy weapons, "well there are those designs. And Aldis's suit has nothing to do with BattleMechs."It also didn't prohibit, or attempt to injunction him against manufacture because it wasn't a cease and desist order it was the preceding step of asking for information before a suit proper could be made... it was a clear statement that someone was probably going to sue him, but he could live with that.

"The long swords are unaffected?" It wasn't really a question. Ian was not a lawyer. It would have been unfitting of the First Prince, maybe even for House Davion as an entire dynasty, but it was more certainly clear that the Long Sword represented a major point of interest. By itself of course the Longsword would not change the succession war, it was industry that would do that.

"The long swords aren't involved." The but went unstated, a Shrek cost 3.8 million c-bills but if he couldn't sell the Shrek... the Hammer hands used a 225 fusion engine but that would be a potential fusion tank engine, Von Luckner, but again Capellan based corporation, "If we were actively involved smashing the Capellans' teeth in," He remarked, "We'd have a better argument... but we're not, there are two tanks a large laser and PPC variant, pairing them with militia mechs would be cheaper, allow us to field more machines than the long sword... if there is anything at the operational and strategic level that's probably the best."

"The long sword though is a heavy battlemech. It is a Federated Suns Battle Mech, and while yes one could argue the Centurion is, it would rally the populace and enliven the cadets of institutions to be able to see them."

"You want me to prioritize LongSwords for upcoming classes then, or as training mechs?"

"Of sorts, I am sure you and LordAaron have discussed the logistics of making war against the Combine, it is your theater you are the commanders on the ground, and the combine has reason to make the attempt against you both. I will support you how I am able in the knowledge that your efforts support Atlas's burden of defending the realm." Henry was pretty certain that had been a pun, an intentional one, as of course, Ian was an Atlas Pilot... "and as for the Capellan Front, I am working on it.

I'll be honest, I'm not 100% sure if the legal issue is just over the Demolisher or the Schrek as well. The proceedings might slow down production of the two heavy/assault weight tanks but there is NOTHING stopping Henry from building his medium tanks like it's WW2.
Or from spamming manticores like nuts using that same engine.
Or making a 80 ton totally not a slightly bigger Von Luckner.
Or totally not a Schrek with 2 PPCs and a LRM-20.
Or putting those engines in the Ranger, Warden, and Alecto designs. Or Merlins. Or getting Lycomb Davion Introtech to exploit their awesome license.
Or 30, 40, 60, or 80 ton ASFs.
Also could quite easily put those 255s into stalkers since the holding company of those rights is outright gone. This also applies to the Manticore as well. And the Shadow Hawk among many other designs. Plus those outright once owned by the SL/TH like the Banshee and Atlas.
Meanwhile HartfordCo basically is probably holding onto life via making some electronics and getting licensing fees for them with a fair few other companies with good IPs for designs also in this state.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back