• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

One Rabid Fox changes the Succession Wars [A Battletech Isekai]

Huh, what exactly was MHD's former government post that it's important enough to need debating but not so urgent that it can stay empty for over 2 years? While a theory would be MIlO director due to his spy network, I don't think that's something they can afford to keep empty for so long.

Looks like the only source of VOX 280s in the Suns was the Maltex factory (It was destroyed, but hopefully they managed to salvage the FE line at least). Based on sarna, the only other domestic sources of 280 SFE I could find in the Suns are StarCorps's GM 280 on Crofton (Of dubious existence by this point considering it's listed for the -8D Warhammer) and the Achernar's DAV 280 for their Battleaxe, so I suppose they can use that or modify their tooling for a VOX.​

Huh, what exactly was MHD's former government post that it's important enough to need debating but not so urgent that it can stay empty for over 2 years? While a theory would be MIlO director due to his spy network, I don't think that's something they can afford to keep empty for so long.

Looks like the only source of VOX 280s in the Suns was the Maltex factory (It was destroyed, but hopefully they managed to salvage the FE line at least). Based on sarna, the only other domestic sources of 280 SFE I could find in the Suns are StarCorps's GM 280 on Crofton (Of dubious existence by this point considering it's listed for the -8D Warhammer) and the Achernar's DAV 280 for their Battleaxe, so I suppose they can use that or modify their tooling for a VOX.​
I suspect the GM 280 line is around but not operational much like the Warhammer line itself in this era. As for the DAV 280 line....well originally I speced the Longsword to take one of those. Albeit not sure the line for them is still around but either way in the grand scheme of things getting a fusion engine line has to be way easier than a jumpship yard.

Given Pratt & Whitney make engines and industrial tooling historically that alone would keep them afloat in the BTech timeline. That is pretty amusing though. :p

Given Pratt & Whitney make engines and industrial tooling historically that alone would keep them afloat in the BTech timeline. That is pretty amusing though. :p
Henry tiredly: "Welcome to Federated Pratt and Whitney, we make tools to make all the other things in the universe, please refer to the catalog before asking questions." /kidding.

I mean we know Ian if he could have gotten away with it would have gone the scholar route but his sense of duty kept on having him go to the front lines.

On another note apparently chiscomp lasers are made on Robinson or at least they are later on when RSB is a thing. Ditto for Parti-Kill Heavy Cannon PPCs.
Not sure if they made them before that though.

Do you mean particle cannons?

New Avalon 1.6
New Avalon 1.6
Lord Aaron had basically resigned himself that eventually the Capellan March would take notice. This was for a variety of reasons. The Draconis March was foremost the most serious military threat of the realm being on the border as its named implied with the Draconis March, but arguably even in the Star League while the Combine had been the true threat to the security of the Federated Suns as a whole the Capellan March worlds of note were where a significant portion of heavy industry lay... the succession wars had not been kind of the industries of worlds which fell into his portfolio as Minister of the Draconis March... not that the Haseks had escaped unscathed either.

What Lord Aaron wasn't aware of was the reason Lord Michael hadn't been offered his previous post as minister of trade in Ian's government was pressure within the Crucis Marsh. Michael Hasek had had to take up his father's post, hte hereditary post of the Hasek familyas minister of the Capellan March, and in 3013 Ian had moved to counter the Combine invasion of Mallory's world.

Michael had somewhat expected a pro forma reappointment as a matter of course. Yvonne knew that and he might even have been right that Ian might have gone through with that, since nothing had substantively materialized regarding talkings with House Steiner. As a result, though he had little reason to remain on New Avalon Michael Hasek Davion had continued to frequent the capital lurking around in expectation of regaining his previous federal post and leaving the business of acting as Minister of the Capellan March while he was away from New Syrtis these last two years.

"If you're the fox, and Ian is the hound, does that make him the weasel?" Henry questioned leaning to look out over the grounds from where they were sitting on the second floor. "I heard he was having trouble with the Capellans, is that why the RCT is basing off of Spica? Why you want me to garrison the McKenna yards while they're fixed, cause he's not up to it?"

Yvonne had been starting to interrupt at the weasel comment, even though Hanse had clearly sfound it funny... and Ian would have have actually laughed at the question. It was the sort of joke the reigning first priince would have found great fun. The question about Spica and the yards though well that was something that was still pressingly important.

Clay was young enough, and if she were being honest, frighteningly capable for his age as a mechwarrior that Hasek and his short career with the Fusiliers might feel inadequate. No, would almost certainly feel inadequate... and Hanse couldn't help himself, "And you're sure you aren't able to do something about BattleMaster production, work a little magic."

Henry groaned, "I'll look into it..." He replied.

She didn't miss the look in Hanse's eyes... who certainly recognized what he was doing by discussing BattleMasters as a mech, but she also didn't miss the contemplative expression from the groaning teenager. "What is it?"

"I'm not commenting to anything, I'll need to talk to Haakon, and I certainly don't guaruntee anything quickly. I just don't see how it would be economical right now."

--
Ian ... well hadn't gone ballistic that would have been inappropriate as First Prince.... but he had inwardly fumed at the distractions of his responsibilities ... the truth was he had been hoping to bolster relations with the Lyran Commonwealth... but there were just so many other things to take care of... like fighting the combine.

... and for that matter he was tired of Marie's husband complaining and making excuses for lack of progress on the Capellan front. The duke of New Syrtis should have been present on the front leading from the front or at least being present, not hounding around for the job he had held while Lord George had been the head of the family. There had been a good man, whatever complaints he had about Michael his father had been a good man.

He stirred from the thoughts looking at the mechs, "They're foxes, look, they're orange and white. Foxes." He reiterated with a smile gesturing to the dozen seventy ton Heavy BattleMechs donated to the school's cadre for evaluation.

"Yes sire." The colonel replied mechanically.

Hanse would have thought it was funny, and the sooner his brother got down here the better, and Ian decided to be more serious, "I was told there was another design."

"Cataphract your highness. Also seventy tons, sir."

"That one has auto cannons, yes?"

"According to the reports."

"A pity he didn't bring any, but I see the reasoning behind it." It wasn't as if his youngest vassal had built them especially for him as First Prince, and from the reports the Cataphract was ... well seemed to be a more or would it be less polished design. The notes from auntie were that it had been built utilizing commercially available parts and hardware from a variety of designs. It wasn't really quite a frankenmech from the sound of it but well with the wars having made such a mess of things people should be so glad to have any battlemech. That was the conventional wisdom, "I'm going to ask."

The colonel stoically responded, no doubt having already guessed that Ian had been planning to ask about the other machine. He turned away from the machines as the elevator bay dinged and the passengers disgorged. "No I fully understand the logic. A heavy battlemech is a higher prestige item, historically they made their start with heavier battlemechs. My interest with having Corean agree to license me the, Us, the Centurion production rights and set up a factory stems from that it is a general trooper design already in the AFFS."

Michael Hasek-Davion duke of New Syrtis was clearly on the wings of the party. To his right, immediately to his right, was Yvonne, and then Hanse, and the wheel chair bound duke of Robinson and the to the far right were the speaking form of the count of Sakhara Henry Clay himself, and the slim figure of the heiress apparent of the duchy of Kestrel. Us in this case seemed to refer to Lord Aaron.

"Can you afford to spare the technicians?"

"Of course I can," Henry responded, "I wouldn't have made the offer if I couldn't." He continued, and the conversation turned to the matter of lawyers. Ian waited and let them keep talking before emerging to greet them, before waving away any attempts to stand on ceremony... he'd have none of that at the moment. "I have my techs planning to see what materials are locally available in the same vein and concept as the Longsword, and the Cataphract, but they'll need several days."

Ian couldn't resist interjecting, it was such a perfect opportunity, "Yes, I must admit I was very interested in whether we would get the chance to look at that design as well. Its been so long since a new mech design has appeared."

Henry blinked... and then shut his mouth just as quickly. "Ah.... I will see what I can do."
--
Notes: Like I have to wonder exactly how much of it is like this stuff wasn't written like early on, but then like the merlin is the original rules demonstrator. I forget when Marauder 2 was published but like the Merlin as a mech design is out there by this point, and the Marauder 2 is actually in the FedSuns... i don't get the special bullshit wolf dragoons monopoly on a literal new never mind good assault mech. So the apparent lack of knowledge about the machines just bugs the shit out of me. Anyway short, I have DnD I DM tonight, and we get more Ian ... next week. Next week,

Honestly the really weird bit is that the Marauder II and Blackwell kit remained Dragoons exclusive when they stopped working for the suns. Especially when they where working for the combine. At which point unless they where somehow smuggling all their production literally no stuff should have been sent to the dragoons

And yeah the merlin not being known in the suns is weird since it would be one of the big markets mountain wolf would be selling mechs to. Especially since the Suns are biggest merc employer in this era and the merlin is in large part targeted at that market.

Last edited:
Poor Henry, he's in the terrible position as an engineer/builder of having to tell his bosses "I can try?" When the know DAMN well he can make it work. The path they want just has more 'prestige' than the down to earth factual plan Henry favors.

Poor Henry, he's in the terrible position as an engineer/builder of having to tell his bosses "I can try?" When the know DAMN well he can make it work. The path they want just has more 'prestige' than the down to earth factual plan Henry favors.
its the 3rd SW him being able to make anything production wise is amazing.

I suppose with Ian on the throne, trying to build up the March as a semi-rogue fief isn't going to go as well for MHD so he's trying to keep as much influence as he can at the top, and man that does it not look good. I remember that quote on sarna about his excuses against the Capellans, but considering that front is his responsibility to manage and he's playing court far away from it he doesn't have much leg to stand on, either in canon or here, and it's great that Ian can see that. I'd love it if "The Weasel" actually sticks as his nickname.

Henry really shouldn't be surprised Ian (and the others) are looking for the Cataphract, this one question makes it clear why:
"That one has auto cannons, yes?"

Yeah.

And like if Michael tries to screw over Justin's career ala canon, if that even happens or something analogous to that

how well do you think that is going to go over like really
So no Justin being a gigachad and successfully seducing Candace Liao to the extent she left the Capcon with her feudal holdings so she could basically be with him?
Oh and the Solaris Champion thing and him getting that centurion. And the screwing over Mad Max and MASC as well I suppose

Truly a terrible twist in the timeline since that means no Kai

Also the autocannons thing....that makes me wonder how the suns will react to the dakka a introtech nightstar can pump out...

40MM Centurion
Posted this over in the general BT thread but given the heavy centurion focus of this story I figured it would also be suited to be posted here as well.

Centurion CN9-AP
Mass:
50 tons
Chassis: Corean Model 7K
Power Plant: Nissan 200 Fusion Engine
Cruising Speed: 43.2 kph
Maximum Speed: 64.8 kph
Armor: StarGuard III
Armament:
1 Magna Hellstar PPC
2 Holy V LRM 5s
4 Photech 806c Medium Lasers
1 Zippo Flamer

Communication System: Corean Transband-J9
Targeting & Tracking System: Corean B-Tech
Introduction Year: 3025
Tech Rating/Availability: D/X-E-D-D
Cost: 3,547,750 C-bills

Type: Centurion
Role: Brawler
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Introductory)
Tonnage: 50
Battle Value: 1,159

Equipment

Mass
Internal Structure  
Engine
200 Fusion

Walking MP:

Running MP:

Jumping MP:    
Heat Sink:

Gyro:  
Cockpit:  
Armor Factor: 168

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value
Head

Center Torso

Center Torso (rear)  
R/L Torso

R/L Torso (rear)  
R/L Arm

R/L Leg

Right arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper, Lower
Left arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper, Lower, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage
Heat Sink
LL

2 Medium Laser
CT

Heat Sink
RT

Medium Laser
RT

Flamer
LA

Heat Sink
LT

LRM 5 Ammo (24)
LT

2 LRM 5
LT

Heat Sink
RL

Heat Sink
HD

Heat Sink
RA

Medium Laser
RA

PPC
RA

Something I designed when I looked at the AL Centurion and realized that assuming your using it as a bracket fighter its way way oversinked. and of course using a LRM-10 which is the worst LRM system. Oh and it wastes half a ton to add a single point of armor.
If nothing else that can be used to make the right arm small laser a medium one. with the saved mass via the 2 cut heat sinks and the 2 LRM-5s vs 1 10 and cutting the LRM ammo to a more reasonable single ton(if your firing 24 rounds of LRMs in a medium mech that's a brawler you probably have been in the battle too long and really should have withdrawn to rearmor so its basically a ammo bomb risk) to add a PPC, a medium laser, upgrading the small to a medium, making the rearward firing medium laser forward facing, and a flamer since anti infantry capabilities among other uses is very useful for a line mech.

The design does weaken the rear armor compared to the AL by 2 points per torso due to auto placement of the armor and also my POV that a line mech needs as much armor forward as possible especially since I pulled the rear medium laser.
It runs a slightly hot in the longer range bracket when moving but even then you can just turn off one or both the LRM5s every once in awhile to manage that.

Last edited:
Update Wednesday, but I'm about to start threadmarking a bunch of mech designs this evening.

If you want to do me a favor and go through the thread and make sure I don't miss anything or you have suggestions feel free to make submissions of Introtech designs

or things that use missile techs that aren't introtech (cough mml cough) cause guess whats about to show up

I have a introtech tank that could benefit from MMLs however I'll need to post it later or maybe tomorrow. As related to my mech designs I've already posted a MML ranger(which strangely has the same BV as the normal one) and other than that I don't have any other design that uses both SRMs and LRMs posted on this thread.

In terms of canon designs that could probably mix well with MMLs that the suns either make or have a fair few of we have the Shadow Hawk, the Dervish, the Crusader, the Kintaro, the atlas, the warrior, the longbow, the maxim, the manticore, the striker, maybe the stuka, the thunderbolt, the battlemaster, the von luckner, the Saracen, possibly the arche(in particular the 2-S variant) once other lostech is available, maybe the valkyrie, the bulldog, the grasshopper, the Guillotine, potentially the Javelin, maybe the Trebuchet, the orion, the stalker, some of the hunchback variants, the missile carriers, the griffin 1S and maybe the 1N, the wolverine, and last but not least the behemoth.

There's probably a couple other designs that could potentially make use of MMLs that the suns don't make (but might have the license for) or that have don't enough around in sufficient numbers to justify a new variant at the present would be the Whitworth, wyvern, shogun, highlander, gladiator or commando .Or the Reiever and maybe the Chippewa(since the suns canonically had enough to make the W-10 variant which implies at least a semi decent amount) on the ASF front and a potential pike variant along with the brutus on the tank front. And there's a few that don't exist yet like the drillson.

Last edited:
40MM Sphinx Introtech
Well its been long enough for this not to count as a double post and since I posted it in the main QQ BT thread so best to post it here as well.

Sphinx Tank
Mass:
40 tons
Movement Type: Tracked
Power Plant: LVT 160 Fusion Engine
Armor: ArcShield Maxi II
Armament:
1 Exostar Large Laser
2 Holy V LRM 5s
1 Harpoon-6 SRM 6

Communication System: O/P R Janxiir
Targeting & Tracking System: TargiTrack 717
Tech Rating/Availability: E/X-E-D-D
Cost: 1,240,633 C-bills

Type: Sphinx
Role: MBT/Infantry Support
Tonnage: 40
Battle Value: 784

Equipment

Mass

Internal Structure

Engine

160 Fusion

Cruising MP:

Flanking MP:

Heat Sinks:

Control Equipment:

Power Amplifier:

Turret:

Armor Factor:

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value

Front

R/L Side

4/4

26/26

Rear

Turret

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage

2 LRM 5

Turret

SRM 6

Turret

Large Laser

Turret

LRM 5 Ammo (24)

Body

SRM 6 Ammo (15)

Body

Quirks:
Power Reverse
Fast Reload
My latest(ish I forgot I had this one file) design that's basically a Succession War era Myrmidion that's made for the resource scarcity of the succession wars and thus uses a FE 160 and a large laser rather than a FE 200 and a PPC but in exchange gains 1 ton of armor and 2 LRM-5s with a ton of ammo split between them. It also has the option of dropping a LRM-5 for a pair of MGs with a half ton of ammo and adding a additional half ton of armor albeit this option has 17 less BV. Overall it has only 24 points less armor and a tad less weapons than the Manticore which is reflected in the BV. It has only 109 BV less than a Manticore and you can buy 2 of them and still spend 159,534 less c-bills than a single Manticore and for that matter it costs some 32,000 C-bills less than a standard Bulldog but has 179 more BV than one. Oh and since it comfortably fits in a light vehicle bay you can haul 2 of them per Manticore or Bulldog assuming you have light vehicle bays available.

Very much designed with 2nd and 3rd line house units, mercs, and militias in mind while still being solid enough for 1st line and even high end units in the Succession War period. I could have given it better quirks but I give too many of my designs powerful as heck quirks like easy to maintain and rugged so I decided to mix things up this time.

As always thoughts and comments are welcome.

Last edited:

so my question becomes who manufactures the 160 engine
I think the suns have at least 1 plant given they make the locust.
Checks locust page.
Yep Achernar makes the locust.
Checks the Achernar page. And it's Engine aka the LVT-160. Both on new avalon.
Honestly the question is who doesn't make 160s.
Because the locust is made by almost everyone who has at least 1 mech plant.

Last edited:
New Avalon 1.7
New Avalon 1.7
Ian... well Ian regarded his brother in law with delighted smugness. This was the high point of perhaps the year maybe. He would have liked to gloat more, but the reality was Michael wasn't useless, his brother in law was terribly annoying at times, but wasn't incompetent ... but today really was a good day. The downside were safety regulations not allowing him to pilot the 'mechs in question there were restrictions for his safety until they were sure they were safe... be embarrassing to get thrown from the horse as it were.

That been doubly true with the projects the technicians had worked round the clock to facilitate. Truthfully he expected that while Yvonne had hope to get something done, it hadn't been at this scale... breadth perhaps By itself this would have warranted patents, state sanctioned monopolies... they hadn't even discussed the shipyard issue as of yet but he could already see that well if that were the case, if this were the case... the Federated Suns had to make other investments to make all of this possible... and to take advantage of it. Hanse had been talking about planning for utilization of what they had taken from the Combine, stolen right out from under the snake's noses and there could be no denying that there needed to be more science and investment into the realm, investment into education, and into industry but the succession wars had proven to b e lean years for the most part.

Blackwell, and Mountain Wolf were going to have to be talked to, especially Blackwell... but apparently .... that was under way. Still that it hadn't made the news was appalling.

"I'm going to need time. Haakon is supposed to talk with Mountain Wolf, and I expect... I really expect he'll need to make several trips to have everything worked out," There was a pause as a massive bull necked man leaned to not really whisper but attempt to remind the count of Sakhara of something. Ian didn't quite catch all of it, "Yes, we'll have to speak with the dragoons about production sign off, but I think an agreement can be managed to garner their consent." He paused again, "yes," He replied to the hulking infantry officer, "we can reach an accord so long as they don't take contracts with House Kurita, or for that matter anyone else who sided with Amaris not that I expect the Dragoons are going to sign on with the Taurians, I will make that clear just in case."

"I'm sorry what?"

"House Kurita fed SLDF positions through the ISF to Rim World forces during the Terran campaign... like its why the Eridani got bushwhacked on Talitha." He glanced up towards the RAC infantry officer, who nodded. "I will make it very clear to Colonel Wolf our terms are contingent on him picking his employers carefully." Henry shook his head, "if it works, and if they agree to it, we have legal cover for future production..." and if not... well the Epona was Clan Hells Horse, but truthfully he wanted the Badger, and Bandit for more cover... and for Mercury mechs as an excuse... "Whatever the case as production increases there is going to be a demand for more techs, that means schooling." He said throwing the bait in the water so to speak. "So yes, the Marauder II..."
--
As an idea, he was inclined to agree in principle with Lord Aaron. He really did dislike the idea of denying one of his more capable martial vassals the opportunity against the hated hereditary enemy... but then his brother and auntie had decided to bring forth the facts and logic... and they made a relatively compelling case.

It was also true that the duchy of Bristol sat vacant... or more correctly had returned to House Davion, sitting an empty title... a world he didn't have time to visit a world that needed a leader who could spend time there... Marie had wanted him to award it to one of their poorer relations, but he had been inclined to make it Hanse's problem... but Hanse was his heir... and he could afford to send Hanse to Bristol regardless of how 'close' it was to the capital. He needed Hanse here, and he needed Hanse here more than he needed Bristol to have a competent and trustworthy ruler... and it now looked as if he had an option for that.

"So then we wait,"

"Yes," Yvonne agreed.

Leaving aside the obvious, that Clay needed to finish his time at Sakhara and a proper education did take time they were waiting to see results. "Once the yard is operational there will be no concealing what it si." He remarked.

Again, his aunt agreed.

Hanse had said nothing this whole time. "And once he has his commission you want me to post him to," He paused looking at the hand written report, the principle problem of the Federated Suns was in Clay's view economics, the carrying trade between worlds, "Kathil." Sakhara to Bristol was seven jumps.

"Bristol to Kathil is only four jumps," Hanse supplied, he paused, "And if anything, rebuilding the James McKenna Shipyards at Kathil would substantively alleviate the purportedly central issue of shipping tonnage. The yard at Sakhara would be thirteen jumps to Kathil. If I understand Clay's argument correctly this is better, at least for us as Kathil, and Sakhara's yards would both be six jumps from New Avalon."

Ian tilted his head to acknowledge the point, and hoped that Galax wasn't brought up as well, but that would have been getting ahead of themselves. That made sense, and he was willing to admit to a consensus on the matter. Lord Aaron would probably protest, but he hoped to be able to ameliorate some of that by avowed federal support to providing for the expansion of efforts of military assets... that was to say that he was willing, because of course he was, to support the battlemech expansion efforts.

They would find some comfortable arrangement to improve the Draconis March Militia's preparedness... perhaps they could also bolster the New Ivaarsen Chasseurs as part of this.

... and speaking of mechs, "I understand we have time," that time had been made for, "in the morning?"

--
Henry shoved his hands in his windbreaker. New Avalon had been colonized in the early 23rd​ century and its largely temperate mild climate had lead to a fairly rapid growth from western and northern european immigrants. It was the capital and had been since there had been a Federated Suns, and as a result of manufacturing that existed on world and the first prince's prescence, and that of his court even for companies that didn't have factories on the planet, parts for their machines for their creations could be found, though they were a little lesss common than say Corean or Achernar.

In this case Kallon came to mind.

All of these were test bed concept models put together from spare parts so in a sense they were kind of sort of frankenmechs in the same way that the Cataphract could be considered a franken-mech. Sort of, but not quite.

The truth was doing things by hand and the sweat of ones brow like the periphery did was time consuming... and the projects in question were more a case of what's in the local market? What is it that the Federated Suns either manufactures parts wise, or can reasonably import from someone else that we can build a design around.

There was one other thing. The MML wasn't his first choice per se, the Zorya that the RAC used were fielding iATM but he was keeping those in the backpocket for the time being. It hadn't been hard to pull a centurion apart and just replace as needed as a nominal 'test bed' because, well the ten shot LRM rack was atrociously inefficient compared to other options. He wanted to demonstrate it but it would only appear on the lone centurion they had assembled while all the other machines would field standard missile launchers.

The idea was that in the future if they needed to introduce MML equipped units, to field mechs that theoretically could in a pinch swap roles then they could just refer back to this and if anyone brought it up... well it would be a case of showing the 'test' on New Avalon. The lawyers were supposed to be diving through what licenses, and how licenses were supposed to work specifically in the Federated Suns so that they could capitalize on that. There were a lot of things to do on that front, Centurion, Marauder II, Merlin, but also licensing out of the Long Sword.

The conversation with regards to New Valencia and the wolf dragoons had only driven part of that of course. That conversation though had lead, in part due to other conversations to some of what was now on display. The two Strand 255 Engines hadn't been that difficult to wrangle though they had gone into two different designs one was a ... what he thought of a 'fixed' Shogun, and the latter into something that might catch Kallon's eye, maybe, but if it didn't it would catch someone else's and they might be able to provide for a better trooper Rifleman.

Shogun. Falchion. If they had to focus on an assault weight the eighty ton Alecto running off of the Pitban 240 would have been more practical than the 255 engine designs. The fifty ton Fusilier would have been a good in house design. There were enough parts to put together another Centurion as a well as a variant of the Enforcer still laying around the mechbay, but he doubted they would go to the trouble of putting them together.

Rounding out were a ShadowHawk variant put together, and then two more lighter mechs, an introtech Sentry and a thirty five tonner using the 210 engine, the Antares. Two Lances of Mechs.
--
Notes: Among other things, later https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Fox_(BattleMech). Though probably not with all of those machine guns. This is somewhat abridged in so far as the first scene doesn't touch on, Omni-Vehicles, or the just oddity that is Blackwell situation

As for the inevitable Dragoons reaction; canonically lore does seem to be increasingly moving towards allowing warriors to go off into the wilderness and in this case, with the RAC that's going to be a case of hey Stefan Amaris has living descendants and the combine collaborated with Amaris in the the 2760s so fuck those guys because this story is somewhat adopting ideas from Ghost, EWSG, and similar ideas in broad swathes will appear in Aurigan as well

What's the essence? Read all the chapters and still don't know what it is, only it's some kind of store thingy you sell and buy things.

Also thanks for the chapter.

What's the essence? Read all the chapters and still don't know what it is, only it's some kind of store thingy you sell and buy things.

Also thanks for the chapter.
Apparently I forgot to thread mark this post by hunter:
Ah, he started with the prologue chapters in the BT ideas thread. There was a small mention and summary on the notes of the first chapter but I don't think he gave the link.

https://forum.questionablequesting....discussions-thread.4740/page-338#post-6812214

Edit: Reference to the Essence he is using can be found here: https://forum.questionablequesting....discussions-thread.4740/page-101#post-5134727

The basics of it is he can design and/or buy BT units using the MegaMekLab app as a basis, either with money or BV from a daily allowance (or from salvaging units with the power as a "recycle" option). Loyal crews can also be created with them, and groups/factions can be used as reference to their background/nature. There is indeed a normalizing function so there's less questions about things popping out of thin air.

Well when that little bit on the amaris support gets reported to the clans....are you sure we aren't going to get a seriously earlier clan Invasion where the honor of invading the combine is something like 20 trials are fought over?

Ohohoh, that's gonna be painful for the DC. Even assuming the SLDF RAC didn't spawn with proof of Kurita cooperation, just oral history passed on to "SLDF descendants" could give the Dragoons enough doubts about signing on with the Combine. Huh, the NI Chasseurs that don't really like upgrades, though I suppose this is pre-Helm so it isn't really a problem right now. Even if they wouldn't take well to any modifications (though the Davions have Dana to help with that, and I don't think Hanse will take no for an answer in reinforcing her wife's unit), giving priority to the incoming surge of production could at the very least increase their pool of active mechs.

It begins... futuretech, revivals and standardisation, and a flood of variants and new designs. Hopefully it all pops off after the last resupply, otherwise even without Helm I don't think Kerlin Ward could hold off the Crusaders for long after reports on IS Omnitech. Though I suppose it'd be entertaining to watch the Clans be drowned in IS L2 tech and clash against the Combine with Zhukov salvage. Huh, any plans to introduce frontline PA(L) early to mitigate toad shock? You'll at least be justified for preparing against any Tornado hit squads.​

Last edited:
40MM Warden
Derp I forgot to post the warden over here after I even gave it the fluff to be a suns design. Give me a bit to correct that.

Warden WRN-D3
Mass:
80 tons
Chassis: Achernar Type 8
Power Plant: Pitban 240 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Armor: Valiant Lamellor
Armament:
1 Defiance 'Mech Hunter AC/20
1 Magna Hellstar PPC
1 Harpoon- 6 SRM 6
3 Magna Mk. 2 Medium Lasers
1 Zippo Flamer

Communication System: Neil 6000
Targeting & Tracking System: Octagon Tartrac System C

Cost: 6,840,540 C-bills
Type: Warden
Role: Juggernaut
Tonnage: 80
Battle Value: 1,594

Equipment

Mass

Internal Structure

Engine

240 Fusion

Walking MP:

Running MP:

Jumping MP:

Heat Sink:

Gyro:

Cockpit:

Armor Factor:

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value

Head

Center Torso

Center Torso (rear)

R/L Torso

R/L Torso (rear)

R/L Arm

R/L Leg

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper, Lower, Hand
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper, Lower, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage

2 Heat Sink

LL

Heat Sink

CT

Medium Laser

CT

AC/20 Ammo (10)

RT

AC/20

RT

Heat Sink

LA

PPC

LA

2 Heat Sink

LT

2 Medium Laser

LT

SRM 6

LT

SRM 6 Ammo (15)

LT

2 Heat Sink

RL

Heat Sink

HD

Flamer

RA

Quirks:
Improved Cooling Jacket (Right Torso AC-20)
Command Mech
Improved Communications
And yes its a atlas knockoff that doesn't have battlefists as a quirk. Something something too many postive quirk points and more importantly in universe there's the fact that its arms are different from the atlases since it has to fit a PPC in one of them and the other fits a flammer. And yes if wanted I have a modernized variant that uses such fun things as a ER PPC, a Gauss rifle, and MMLs

Last edited:
Derp I forgot to post the warden over here after I even gave it the fluff to be a suns design. Give me a bit to correct that.

Warden WRN-D3
Mass:
80 tons
Chassis: Achernar Type 8
Power Plant: Pitban 240 Fusion
Cruising Speed: 32.4 kph
Maximum Speed: 54 kph
Armor: Valiant Lamellor
Armament:
1 Defiance 'Mech Hunter AC/20
1 Magna Hellstar PPC
1 Harpoon- 6 SRM 6
3 Magna Mk. 2 Medium Lasers
1 Zippo Flamer

Cost: 6,840,540 C-bills
Type: Warden
Role: Juggernaut
Tonnage: 80
Battle Value: 1,594

Equipment

Mass

Internal Structure

Engine

240 Fusion

Walking MP:

Running MP:

Jumping MP:

Heat Sink:

Gyro:

Cockpit:

Armor Factor:

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value

Head

Center Torso

Center Torso (rear)

R/L Torso

R/L Torso (rear)

R/L Arm

R/L Leg

Right Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper, Lower, Hand
Left Arm Actuators: Shoulder, Upper, Lower, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage

2 Heat Sink

LL

Heat Sink

CT

Medium Laser

CT

AC/20 Ammo (10)

RT

AC/20

RT

Heat Sink

LA

PPC

LA

2 Heat Sink

LT

2 Medium Laser

LT

SRM 6

LT

SRM 6 Ammo (15)

LT

2 Heat Sink

RL

Heat Sink

HD

Flamer

RA

Quirks:
Improved Cooling Jacket (Right Torso AC-20)
Command Mech
Improved Communications
And yes its a atlas knockoff that doesn't have battlefists as a quirk. Something something too many postive quirk points and more importantly in universe there's the fact that its arms are different from the atlases since it has to fit a PPC in one of them and the other fits a flammer. And yes if wanted I have a modernized variant that uses such fun things as a ER PPC, a Gauss rifle, and MMLs

It certainly is a discount Atlas but in a good way. The Suns right now is starved for proper Assault mechs, excluding the other ones Henry is planning to introduce/bring back. A more affordable command juggernaut will certainly be helpful. It's less maneuverable than the alternative of a Victor for a heavy command mech but it's cheaper, tougher, has actual bonuses for leading and has more versatile firepower. Plus there's the 240 FE goodness. I suppose it depends on the commander if they'll prefer the short-range punch of the Warden versus the additional fire support and mobility of the Alecto.

40MM Star lifter sting, Maidens, Missle carrier Demolisher sharpe
It certainly is a discount Atlas but in a good way. The Suns right now is starved for proper Assault mechs, excluding the other ones Henry is planning to introduce/bring back. A more affordable command juggernaut will certainly be helpful. It's less maneuverable than the alternative of a Victor for a heavy command mech but it's cheaper, tougher, has actual bonuses for leading and has more versatile firepower. Plus there's the 240 FE goodness. I suppose it depends on the commander if they'll prefer the short-range punch of the Warden versus the additional fire support and mobility of the Alecto.
they do pair pretty well together albeit they do need something to provide more indirect firepower to their formation since otherwise they can potentially get LRM spammed to death

edit cross posting more designs over here that i have posted elsewhere on QQ and the like so I can readily copy them here
here's my militarized jumbo refit. probably more so keeps the engines of the design than anything else. which to be fair is the hardest part of building a dropship by far
Starlifter
Type:
Military Spheriod
Mass: 14,800 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Advanced)
Introduced: 3025
Mass: 14,800
Battle Value: 10,766
Cost: 679,352,800 C-bills
Fuel: 400 tons (12,000)
Safe Thrust: 3
Maximum Thrust: 5
Heat Sinks: 456
Structural Integrity: 30
Armor
Nose:
Sides: 408/408
Aft: 332
Cargo

Bay 1:

Small Craft (2)

1 Door

Bay 2:

Fighter (6)

2 Doors

Bay 3:

Mech (16)

1 Door

Bay 4:

Heavy Vehicle (24)

1 Door

Bay 5:

Infantry (Foot) (4 platoons)

1 Door

Bay 6:

Light Vehicle (24)

1 Door

Bay 7:

Cargo (1181.0 tons)

1 Door
Escape Pods: 24
Life Boats: 24
Crew: 9 officers, 26 enlisted/non-rated, 13 gunners, 478 bay personnel
Ammunition: 120 rounds of Long Tom ammunition (24 tons), 120 rounds of AC/20 ammunition (24 tons), 270 rounds of SRM 6 ammunition (18 tons), 360 rounds of LRM 20 ammunition (60 tons)
Notes: Mounts 108 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:

Capital Attack Values (Standard)

Arc (Heat)

Heat

SRV

MRV

LRV

ERV

Class

Nose (111 Heat)

2 PPC

2(20)

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

3 Large Laser

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

2 LRM 20, LRM 20 Ammo (60 shots)

2(24)

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

LRM

1 AC/20, AC/20 Ammo (20 shots)

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

2 SRM 6, SRM 6 Ammo (45 shots)

2(16)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

SRM

2 Long Tom, Long Tom Ammo (120 shots)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

Artillery

RS/LS Fwd (71 Heat)

2 PPC

2(20)

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

3 Large Laser

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

2(24)

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

LRM

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

2(16)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

SRM

RS/LS Aft (71 Heat)

2 PPC

2(20)

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

3 Large Laser

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

2(24)

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

LRM

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

2(16)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

SRM

Aft (71 Heat)

2 PPC

2(20)

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

3 Large Laser

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

2(24)

2(24)

2(24)

0(0)

LRM

2(20)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

2(16)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

SRM
and here's my flying murder blender that is the sting variant of the drost.
well one variant of it anyways.
DroST IIa Transport Sting assault dropship variant
Type:
Military Aerodyne
Mass: 5,300 tons
Technology Base: Inner Sphere (Standard)
Introduced: 3025
Mass: 5,300
Battle Value: 18,783
Cost: 754,804,800 C-bills
Fuel: 200 tons (6,000)
Safe Thrust: 5
Maximum Thrust: 8
Heat Sinks: 472
Structural Integrity: 40
Armor
Nose: 904
Sides: 760/760
Aft: 616
Cargo

Bay 1:

Small Craft (2)

2 Doors

Bay 2:

Infantry (Foot) (2 platoons)

2 Doors

Bay 3:

Cargo (262.0 tons)

2 Doors
Escape Pods: 6
Life Boats: 6
Crew: 4 officers, 8 enlisted/non-rated, 12 gunners, 66 bay personnel
Ammunition: 160 rounds of AC/20 ammunition (32 tons), 390 rounds of LRM 20 ammunition (65 tons)
Notes: Mounts 180 tons of standard aerospace armor.

Weapons:

Capital Attack Values (Standard)

Arc (Heat)

Heat

SRV

MRV

LRV

ERV

Class

Nose (142 Heat)

4 LRM 20, LRM 20 Ammo (120 shots)

5(48)

5(48)

5(48)

0(0)

LRM

2 AC/20, AC/20 Ammo (40 shots)

4(40)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

4 PPC

4(40)

4(40)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

8 Large Laser

6(64)

6(64)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

RW/LW (110 Heat)

3 LRM 20, LRM 20 Ammo (90 shots)

4(36)

4(36)

4(36)

0(0)

LRM

4(40)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

3 PPC

3(30)

3(30)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

6 Large Laser

5(48)

5(48)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

Aft (110 Heat)

3 LRM 20, LRM 20 Ammo (90 shots)

4(36)

4(36)

4(36)

0(0)

LRM

4(40)

0(0)

0(0)

0(0)

AC

3 PPC

3(30)

3(30)

0(0)

0(0)

PPC

6 Large Laser

5(48)

5(48)

0(0)

0(0)

Laser

Battle Maiden BAM-D4
Mass:
35 tons
Chassis: Ironworks Type 6B Chassis
Power Plant: GM 175 Fusion Engine
Cruising Speed: 54 kph
Maximum Speed: 86.4 kph
Jumping Distance: 150 meters provided by 5 Rawlings Model 55 Jumpjets
Armament:
3 Martell Medium Lasers
2 Holy V LRM 5s
1 Zippo Flamer
1 Magna Small Laser
Manufacturer: Bath Ironworks
Primary Factory: Markesan
Communication System: Radcom TXX
Targeting & Tracking System: Datacom 26
Cost: 2,607,773 C-bills

Type: Battle Maiden
Role: Skirmisher
Tonnage: 35
Battle Value: 950

Equipment

Mass

Internal Structure

Engine

175 Fusion

Walking MP:

Running MP:

Jumping MP:

Heat Sink:

Gyro:

Cockpit:

Armor Factor:

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value

Head

Center Torso

Center Torso (rear)

R/L Torso

R/L Torso (rear)

R/L Arm

R/L Leg

Actuators: Right Arm Upper, Lower, Hand. Left Arm Upper, Lower, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage

Heat Sink

LL

Heat Sink

CT

Jump Jet

CT

LRM 5 Ammo (24)

RT

2 Jump Jet

RT

2 LRM 5

RT

Flamer

LA

2 Medium Laser

LT

2 Jump Jet

LT

Heat Sink

RL

Small Laser

HD

Medium Laser

RA

Quirks:
Easy to Maintain
Narrow/ Low Profile

War Maiden WMD-5E
Mass:
45 tons
Chassis: Iron Works Type 8W
Power Plant: GM 180 Fusion Engine
Jumping Distance: 120 meters provided by 4 Rawlings Model 55 Jumpjets
Armament:
2 Martell Medium Laser
1 Holy V LRM 5
1 Harpoon-6 SRM 6
1 Sunglow Type 2 Large Laser
Manufacturer: Bath Iron Works
Primary Factory: Markesan
Cost: 3,236,690 C-bills

Type: War Maiden
Role: Skirmisher
Tonnage: 45
Battle Value: 1,036

Equipment

Mass

Internal Structure

Engine

180 Fusion

Walking MP:

Running MP:

Jumping MP:

Heat Sink:

Gyro:

Cockpit:

Armor Factor:

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value

Head

Center Torso

Center Torso (rear)

R/L Torso

R/L Torso (rear)

R/L Arm

R/L Leg

Actuators: Right Arm Upper, Lower, Hand. Left Arm Upper, Lower, Hand

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage

Jump Jet

LL

2 Heat Sink

CT

2 Heat Sink

RT

LRM 5 Ammo (24)

RT

Medium Laser

RT

Jump Jet

RT

LRM 5

RT

Heat Sink

LT

Medium Laser

LT

Jump Jet

LT

SRM 6

LT

SRM 6 Ammo (15)

LT

Jump Jet

RL

Heat Sink

HD

Large Laser

RA

Quirks:
Easy to Maintain
Rugged (1)
Improved Cooling Jacket (RA Large Laser)

SRM Carrier Sane version
Base Tech Level: Introductory (IS)
---------------------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced 2470-2504
Standard 2505+
Tech Rating: E/C-C-C-C

Weight: 60 tons
BV: 935
Cost: 1,712,800 C-bills
Source: TRO 3039 - Age of War
Role: Ambusher

Movement: 3/5 (Tracked)
Engine: 180 ICE

Internal: 30
Armor: 176
-----------------------------
Internal Armor
Front 6 40
Right 6 34
Left 6 34
Rear 6 28
Turret 6 40
---------------------------
Loc Heat
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
SRM 4 TU 3
Machine Gun TU 0
----------------------------------
Ammo Loc Shots
SRM 4 Ammo BD 25
SRM 4 Ammo BD 25
SRM 4 Ammo BD 25
SRM 4 Ammo BD 25
SRM 4 Ammo BD 25
Half Machine Gun Ammo BD 100

Rational LRM Carrier
Base Tech Level: Introductory (IS)
---------------------------------------------
Level Era
Experimental -
Advanced -
Standard 3025+
Tech Rating: E/X-C-C-C

Weight: 60 tons
BV: 988
Cost: 1,648,000 C-bills
Source: TRO 3039 - Age of War

Engine: 180 ICE

Internal: 30
Armor: 160
--------------------------------------
Internal Armor
Front 6 35
Right 6 32
Left 6 32
Rear 6 25
Turret 6 36
------------------------------------
Weapons Loc Heat
LRM 20 TU 6
LRM 20 TU 6
---------------------------------------
Ammo Loc Shots
LRM 20 Ammo BD 6
LRM 20 Ammo BD 6
LRM 20 Ammo BD 6
LRM 20 Ammo BD 6
LRM 20 Ammo BD 6

Demolisher variant (Von Luckner expy)
Base Tech Level
: Introductory (IS)

Level

Era

Experimental

-

Advanced

-

Standard

3025+
Tech Rating: E/X-X-X-D

Weight: 80 tons
BV: 1,063
Cost: 2,172,600 C-bills
Engine: 240 ICE
Internal: 40
Armor: 176

Internal

Armor

Front

Right

Left

Rear

Turret

Weapons

Loc

Heat

AC/20

TU

SRM 6

TU

SRM 6

TU

LRM 5

TU

LRM 5

TU

Machine Gun

TU

Machine Gun

TU

Ammo

Loc

Shots

AC/20 Ammo

BD

AC/20 Ammo

BD

AC/20 Ammo

BD

SRM 6 Ammo

BD

SRM 6 Ammo

BD

LRM 5 Ammo

BD

Half Machine Gun Ammo

BD

Sharpe SHR-3P
Mass:
65 tons
Chassis: Crussis-S
Power Plant: Magna 260 Fusion
Jumping Distance: 120 meters
Armor: Duralex Heavy
Armament:
1 Donal PPC
4 Martel Medium Lasers
1 Holy SRM 6
1 Zippo Flamer
Communication System: HartfordCo COM 4000
Targeting & Tracking System: HartfordCo XKZ 1
Cost: 5,713,235 C-bills
Type: Sharpe
Role: Brawler
Tonnage: 65
Battle Value: 1,446

Equipment

Mass

Internal Structure

Engine

260 Fusion

Walking MP:

Running MP:

Jumping MP:

Heat Sink:

Gyro:

Cockpit:

Armor Factor:

Internal
Structure

Armor
Value

Head

Center Torso

Center Torso (rear)

R/L Torso

R/L Torso (rear)

R/L Arm

R/L Leg

Actuators: LA Upper, Lower, Hand. RA Upper, Lower, Hand.

Weapons
and Ammo

Critical

Tonnage

Heat Sink

LL

Jump Jet

LL

2 Heat Sink

CT

2 Medium Laser

RT

Jump Jet

RT

Flamer

LA

Heat Sink

LT

2 Medium Laser

LT

Jump Jet

LT

SRM 6

LT

SRM 6 Ammo (15)

LT

Heat Sink

RL

Jump Jet

RL

Heat Sink

HD

PPC

RA

Quirks:
Command Mech
My newest design the Sharpe. Sort of looks like a thunderbolt variant but actually started out as a mini Battlemaster. as it turns out even with the 4 jump jets added all you lose from the 20 less tons of mass is replacing the MGs and their ammo with a single flamer, the 2 aft facing Medium lasers, 2 heatsinks, 1.5 tons of armor and a ton of SRM ammo and 73 BV. Of course it does cost a lot less than a Battlemaster. It costs some 2,788,008 C-bills less than one or in percentage terms a Sharpe is only 67.2 % the price of a Battlemaster.
As for the name it totally wasn't from me rewatching part of the Sharpe series when I was designing it. And yes it's a Kallon design.

Designers note: Ignore the manufacture and chassis information on the battle maiden and war maiden designs. meant to be for something else that i never got around to. feel free to edit if needed for this fic.

Last edited:
New Avalon 1.8
New Avalon 1.8
Ian Davion had quickly come to view this as the high point of his year, and it wasn't even Christmas yet. There were quite a lot of parts in various stages of disassembly or in crates that dominated one side of the interior of the space set aside for Clay's technicians ... techno wizards might have been a better description to work for the past week.

Of all the designs present the ShadowHawk was the one he had spent the least amount of time looking at, perhaps it had been fabricated solely to have an old standby to round out the two lances. That was to say maybe they had just needed an eighth mech for the sake of even-ness. He had almost joked aloud that the shoppe must have run out of ChisComp type 39s since there was a marked transition from that model of Medium Lasers to a competing Martell design of laser for the two eighty five tonner designs. In addition to sharing an engine and medium lasers they also, the two eighty five ton assault mechs, shared the same model of JumpJets, and relied on the same model of Harpoon Six launchers. They used different model PPCs.

"So," He remarked conspiratorially to his younger brother, "What exactly is the impediment to the Battlemaster." Their brother in law stiffened.

"The engines I think." Hanse responded in complete seriousness. "It uses a different engine than these do."

"Mm, that's unfortunate. What can be done about it?"

He was then assured, "Its being looked into."

"Mm, very good." They had yet to tell Michael about the plan for Kathil's shipyards ostensibly because Sakhara's yard wasn't ready yet. He probably wouldn't even bring it up to his brother in law until that first star lord was completed... maybe the second. He made a show of consulting the 'program' so to speak, the Shadow Hawk was unfortunately first. There was a volunteer cadet from New Avalon who had been chosen to pilot the 'Hawk.

The pilot in question had not quite made the cut for a chance at the long swords of which were being vied for for a special testing section by the corp of cadets best scoring pilots. Of course that test had been organized and planned when there were just twelve machines... and Avalon was getting to keep those machines.

There were a handful of 'sketches' as he was thinking of them in terms of what it was going to cost. Spares tools, raw materials, the time to 'tool up' for production that and a significant amount of other, but the techs had been working around the clock, the past week first searching for what was available, and then consumed by the work of making machines.

It had apparently utterly befuddled his youngest vassal that while the Shadow Hawk was common the Federated Suns could not domestically manufacture it. It wasn't fair to the pilot that she was piloting the least interesting of the machines present here... if Ian were honest the Centurion had probably been put together if for other reason than to show off this new missile system. Something about logistics but as a result the Centurion was being piloted by one of Clay's people.

Ian had wracked his brain to consider if he had ever seen a Shogun Assault Mech... in anyone's possession other than the Dragoons, but Jaime Wolf's command was the only instance he could think of on the matter. It did tickle his fancy a bit to be in such an exclusive number.

The impediment again, as with the idea of the BattleMaster seemed to be the fusion engine which powered the Shogun, or also the impediment to the eighty five ton 'Falchion' design which had been developed as well... fusion engine manufacturing was the bottleneck... and he didn't really need to be told that, nor that there were obviously things that the Federal Government could do.

The Federated Suns would need to do something about that, and with a bevy of new mech designs, one might even say a renaissance there were things that could be done.

Smaller still than the Shadow Hawk, and the Centurion were the Antares and the Sentry, thirty five and forty tons respectively. Intended as, they had been described, Strikers easily maintainable. That both designs carried flamers and no ammunition to speak of well, they had obvious anti infantry capabilities while having a reliable enough amount of close range firepower for mechs in their weight class... and the Sentry's PPC would allow it to reach a bit further still.
--
"I would say those tests went well." Which was on its face an understatement. Twenty BattleMechs, nominally speaking nine either wholly new designs, or variants never tested before, designs across the entire weight class range, an entirely new weapon system capable of firing either short range missiles or long range missiles. Went well was an understatement.

"It should keep the duke of New Syrtis distracted particularly," Especially since the command circuit Henry had established would soon be returning him and Lord Aaron to the Draconis March. It was very tempting to simply give Clay what he wanted, and send him on his way to Bristol, but he recognized it was the correct decision to wait. There were going to need to be lengthy discussions with between the existing manufacturers of battlemechs within the Federated Suns... and as he had been unpleasantly informed that would mean potentially facing a riot from General Motors over the Marauder II.

It was amazing he'd never even heard of the domestic assault mech and yet it starts making the rounds and then all of sudden the lawyers come trundling out of the woods like ogres. It was despicable, so that needed to be seen to. Clay needed to return to Sakhara, and they could return to discussions of this at some point next year.

"I'm actually surprised Achernar wasn't able to put forward a proposal of its own." Yvonne remarked, "Corean was all but tripping over itself to send engineers to Sakhara,"

Yes, Ian recognized that they were more interested in seeing Sakhara than Robinson but they had agreed to both... not simply because of the issue of money, but because of recognition of what this might mean for them... not the least of which was the demonstration of the 200 engine fusilier had probably been a surprise, and probably not a pleasant to have rolled out.

Achernar just didn't seem to have the engineers on hand ... not when they were probably all sequestered away with the dangling prospect of a Heavy BattleMech and the leadership eyeing that, and if the Long Sword could be put into production more broadly all the better.

Yesterday had gone well. Ian had even been 'allowed' to sit in a few of the machine and even the opportunity to fire a few rounds from the auto cannon of the Alecto, which was a small compromise.

"What is it?" He asked after a minute.

"It was Clay's comment regarding the loss of the 19th​ Striker Regiment, and the Dragoons. The Eridani Light Horse has been in the employ of the Federated Suns for some time now, I believe it would be a mistake if we didn't, personally inform Brevet General Kerston of the matter."

"I don't see why not." Ian replied, "But I assume there is something else?"

She paused, "Lord Henry's retinue is at least three distinct factions I suppose. Two of whom, the Battle Company particularly has clear SLDF lineage, and the Robinson Assault Cluster is almost certainly accordingly to my analysts descended from 19th​ Army of the SLDF potentially even units which were thought to have departed with General Kerensky's Exodus."

"Henry?"

"No, from what we have pieced together the RAC seems to have joined Clay's retinue in response to ... from what we understand some conflict with a descendant of Stefan Amaris, and specifically that Clay considers an Amaris, revanchist Rim World threat at least as concerning as the Combine, at least that is my reading of his behavior."
--

The Duke of New Syrtis was not happy. Michael Hasek-Davion had been looking to consolidate his position for the last two years, nearly three since he had become duke-elect of New Syrtis when his father had died in the spring of 3013. The ascension of which had removed him from New Avalon and the Federal Government on the expectation of taking up the hereditary position of Minister of the Capellan March... and Ian had been consumed with martialing to relieved Mallory's World...

... and that was when the problem had started .

Ian had won one victory after another. Inaugurating a new house, naming a young mech warrior as Count of Sakhara for the matter of slaughtering one of the regiments of the Sword of Light... since of course the Victory at Mallory's world had then been followed up on by the Victory at Halstead Station where the First Prince of the Federated Suns had secured a victory against his opposite number.

Something that New Avalon had allowed anyone present on the capital to possibly forget. There was no end of it in sight, even before the Rabid Fox had returned to New Avalon. The dozen Heavy BattleMechs he had brought him had yet to reach the the papers, never mind the rest of it.

... and what was he supposed to do? Suck it up. Suck it up as the Draconis March consumed ever more resources and were lauded for their success while he was blamed for 'failures' in the capellan march. Hanse, his brother in law, was married to one of the Stephenson daughters had moved forward the notion that this could be the opportunity to rebuild those units... as if they otherwise deserved some special consideration over troops fighting on the capellan front.

... and of course it was no secret that the reason for the RCT posting to Spica and that base was a brazen questioning of his ability as Field Marshal of the March, and the soldiers of the Capellan March to protect the border.

It was infuriating.
--
Notes: Updating this, nominally nominally the plan for the rest of the month is the lit rpg, aurigan renaissance, the drow fic in theory. So thus in theory that should be the updates for Thursday the 26th​, Friday, Tuesday (the 31st​) with a normal tuesday update finishing out New Avalon 1 on the 24th if that makes sense....​.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back