1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Penny's Curious Adventures(RWBY/MtG)

Discussion in 'Questing' started by OverReactionGuy, Apr 15, 2016.

1. Threadmarks: 1.2
    OverReactionGuy

OverReactionGuy The only Sane one left

Winning vote:
    -Saw one of the most colorful girls you've seen rolling around on Rollerblades
    -white

Many of the students were shuffling around instead of going directly to the auditorium, some were checking up on their friends while others were making new ones. But this was fine with me, there would be plenty of time to make friends and I should not dally longer than needed. I did not want to miss General Ironwoods speech now, did I?

So, I continued walking towards the center of the building, where the auditorium is likely located and if not, I am sure to receive instruction as to where it is there. Though I was tempted to find my own way there, maybe take a side entrance? Father did say that I am of the age where I am able to find my own way through life if I wanted.

Hmm, I wondered if he meant that figuratively or literally? I mused, but I didn't get to contemplate the thought for long as my attention was drawn elsewhere.

“Woah, Look out!” I heard a cry behind me so I turned to look and saw one of the most colorful girls on Rollerblades. “Oh, crap!” Even when she crashed into me and I forced myself to fall to the ground as normal girls would from the impact, I couldn't help but notice. Her clothing was the exact opposite of the dress code, even though I took liberties with it myself, she took it to the extreme.

Her red orange hair was tied in pigtails, with a few blue streaks scattered in the wild mess as she fell on her butt with an oof. Her clothing was a mix of blues, purple, white and pink and she even had a rainbow tattooed to her arm. It was then I noticed the long cat tail.

A faunus? I thought as I stared at the girl from my place on the ground. I had only saw a few other faunus in my life, and they all had a serious demeanor that made it hard to talk to them, so this girl was a curiosity. I wonder if she would like to be friends?

“Ow, ow, ow.” She muttered as she rubbed her butt before she looked and glared at my prone form. “Like, why didn't you dodge?”

She sounded angry, so I fell back to Doctor White's advice on what to do in this situation; give a disarming smile and introduce yourself cheerfully.

“Salutations!” I exclaimed, still laying on the ground sideways. “I'm Penny Polendina!”

She stared at me incredulously, whatever anger she had with the situation quickly evaporated. Doctor White's advice appeared to be spot on!

“Ok...” She stated and jumped up onto her feet. “I'm Neon Katt.” She started to brush off the dust on her cloths, the regular kind and not the kind that explodes in your face.

“Nice to meet you, Neon Katt.” I said with a smile. Things appeared to be going well.

“...” She stared down at my prone form as if she was waiting for something, until she finally got fed up. “Like, are you going to stand up?”

I nodded my head and stated, “I shall do so,” even though I was comfortable where I was. Compromising is key to any starting relationship.

I flipped myself upright by pushing off the ground with one hand and landing on my feet gracefully. Neon let out a low whistle I assumed she was impressed with something.

“You're rather strong aren't ya?” She asked and I tilted my head questioning her. Basic acrobatics like that was something everyone could do. Though she might have just been asking about my capabilities instead. So I gave her my best answer, with a smile.

“I am capable in all ranges of combat.”

Especially thanks to my fathers gift, which reminded me that I needed to name it. That was something to think about later though. Neon seemed to be lost.

“That...” she scratched her cheek with a finger. “Wasn't what I was asking about but ok.”

There was a lull in the conversation, as we stared at each other; or as I stared directly in her eyes unblinkingly, as it was polite and a way to show you are listening to someone.

She started to fidget as she stood there, I could see a light sheen of sweat coat her forehead and her heart appeared to beating faster and I had no idea why. Just another question to ask Father when I called him later to report!

I believe it is time to continue the conversation. I thought. Since she appears to be having trouble coming up with a topic, it is up to me! I felt the urge to nod my head for coming to that conclusion, but I didn't. Now what do teenage girls normally talk about? Ah yes.

“I like your outfit, it suits you well.” I complimented her, taking her by surprise yet again.

“Thanks!” She exclaimed cheerfully, rewarding me with a brilliant smile. “I really like how it turned out myself. Especially since the default uniform here is just so, ugh, you know?”

I did not know but I nodded my head in agreement anyway.

“I thought so! Your outfit is pretty cool too; it fits you perfectly in a girl next door kinda way without going overboard. I especially like the green highlights you have.” She started to ramble on about my outfit and it's good points, to which I found myself mostly just nodding my head to show her I was still listening to her. “I think you should get a hat, though to complete the look.” She finished, taking on a thinking pose as she scrutinized my outfit, looking at me up and down. “Something to definitely look into later... Maybe a sun hat? Hmm.”

Before I could thank her for sharing her interesting insights into fashion, a new voice cut in.

“You two are going to be late.” A girl said with a monotone and I turned to see who it was. I found myself looking at the girl who was staring at her watch so intently before.

“Oh, shoot!” Neon exclaimed, her eyes widening as realization set in. “Catch you later Penny!”

And just like that she was gone in a flash, cutting through the crowd with high speed using her roller blades. I watched her go, feeling sad that I didn't get to ask if she wanted to be friends yet. But I resolved to do that later.

“Ma'am, it would be for the best if you hurry up as well.” The watch girl stated before walking away as well. Leaving me alone to my own devices.

With a small sigh, I decided she was right and made my way towards where the auditorium should be. I didn't want to miss General Ironwoods speech either after all.

I found myself near the back of the crowd, I couldn't spot Neon even though her cloths should have made her stand out like a sore thumb in this crowd of dull colors. Still, I didn't really get to look long as the hall went silent and General Ironwood walk onto the stage. A girl I didn't know followed him. I looked at her curiously, but my attention was quickly drawn to the general as he began to speak.

“Welcome future Hunters and Huntresses to Atlas academy.” He began, looking completely confidant as he addressed the crowd. “You are here because you've proved that you had what it takes to stand against all who would threaten our society. The Grimm, and those that chose to spread terror in their wake.” There was a pause after he said that. It was obvious, at least to me, who he was speaking about at the end. The White Fang, a former peaceful faunas protest group turned into violent terrorist. They attacked many places in Atlas before, particularly anything that had to the with the Schnee Dust company.

“It is within our mandate to put a stop to such threats; threats to our way of life, threats to our advancement, and threats to mankind.” He started to pace with one arm behind him before stopping. “It is our job to provide you with the tools needed for your success at this Academy; to temper you, and prepare you for what ever awaits you in life. Our Kingdom is the forerunner of technology, and one of our worlds greatest hopes, and you are it's future.” He saluted us. “I hope your stay at this Academy is productive.” He finished and started walking towards the exit. I notice he had a faint smile on his face as he left the auditorium. People started clapping and cheering Atlas when they realized the General's speech was done.

The clapping and cheering died down as the stern looking woman that came in with the general, whom I could only assume was his assistant, spoke up.

“You will be given the rest of the day to familiarize yourselves with the Academy. Whether you socialize with your comrades that you will spend the next four years of your life with here, or explore the institute that will be up to you to decide.” Her eyes roamed through the crowd until she managed to catch mine. It instantly felt like I was being judge, for what I didn't know. Her face betrayed nothing as we stared at each other, and when she moved on, it only left me with a deep sense of confusion. “You will be bunking in this auditorium tonight and it's lights out at 9:00pm. Tomorrow you will be tested and receive your teams base on the results. So I suggest getting rest.” She paused and gave a faint smile. “I hope you enjoy your stay at Atlas Academy, and good luck. Dismissed.” She finished and walked towards the exit that the general used.

The crowd quickly started to break up into groups, some kids were boasting, and others were walking to the exit, likely to explore.

I frowned.

Should I socialize with my peers or explore? Decisions, decisions.

[]Go get the lay of the land – explore the academy that will be at for the next four years of your life.
    -[]Try and find someone to explore with.
    --[]Try to find Neon.
    --[]Try to find the girl that keeps looking at her watch and tapping her foot.

[]Approach a group and initialize social procedures!
    -[] A group of girls.
    -[] A group of boys
    -[]mixed.

[]Go find General Ironwood and ask him a few questions about student life and how to blend in.
    -[]Maybe ask about his assistant that stared at you so intently as well.

And end. This vote decides on what Penny will likely be doing for the rest of the evening. I added a few options to blend a few things together, but depending on what you chose there will be chances of an event happening. Whether Penny is alone or not. Though there will likely be a roll if you try and find a specific person. In other news, I'm feeling better. I also hate writing speeches. Anyway, tell me if you think I'm getting Penny's voice wrong or any other characters. It'll help me. Also tell me if you find any errors since I wrote the majority of this when sick and depressed because I was sick.

Sat, Wolfant, Par Tzu and 17 others like this.
  2. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

[X]Go get the lay of the land – explore the academy that will be at for the next four years of your life.
    -[X]Try and find someone to explore with.
    --[X]Try to find the girl that keeps looking at her watch and tapping her foot.

3. OverReactionGuy

Btw, anyone have any questions they would like me to answer? Probably not much since there are only 2 chapters but there are probably some that you may have. OOC wise.

4. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

[X] Go get the lay of the land – explore the academy that will be at for the next four years of your life.
    -[X] Try and find someone to explore with.
    --[X] Try to find the girl that keeps looking at her watch and tapping her foot.

The Neon girl is one of the characters that appeared in the Third Season Tournament. Were all the other choices canon characters? Brevity of their appearance notwithstanding?

5. OverReactionGuy

It the other chapter? Besides getting lost, or going straight to the auditorium without distractions. Yep.

Getting lost would have likely had Penny meet an OC professor or a different encounter.

The watch girl is Penny's partner from season three btw.

6. Zaranoth

Zaranoth Getting sticky.

[X]Go get the lay of the land – explore the academy that will be at for the next four years of your life.
    --[X]Try to find Neon.

7. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

--[X]Try to find Neon.

8. OverReactionGuy

I will likely close the vote tomorrow. Currently it's a tie and I will have to think of a way to decide what to do in case it stays a tie.

Anyway, you guys want a spoiler on what Penny's semblance will be? It's influenced on her being a white primary color but separate from what abilities you will get when you unlock your mana, but wouldn't likely be overshadowed by it and honestly I think it might be kinda OP and I'd likely would want impute regarding that anyway.

9. GorgonEyed

GorgonEyed Five-Star Horror Ham

--[X]Try to find Neon.

If you think her semblance would benefit from outside input, I'd be happy to help. Otherwise, I'll wait for the reveal in-story.

10. SolipsistSerpent

SolipsistSerpent Endlessly Devouring

Ciel calls Penny Ma'am. I think she knows she's special so Penny won't have to seek her out. Neon on the other hand should be reminded Penny exists before she forgets about her.

--[X]Try to find Neon.

11. OverReactionGuy

Probably going to close the votes now. Finding Nemo Neon was ahead by 2.

Going to roll and see if you actually manage to find her before heading out though. As well as a roll for something else that may happen when you guys explore, either with Neon or without.

Hopefully I will have this chapter out faster than the last.

-knocks on wood-

-edit-

Huh, meh. You guys will catch her just as she is about to leave the auditorium.

-edit-

Wow, your dice rolls...

Think my bad luck must be rubbing off on them so I'll probably outsource them to other people from now on.

-edit-

If you are wondering about the roll for the event, I had two different ones planned and couldn't decide which to do since they both work out in the story so I rolled for it. You might stumble into the missed even anyway in a couple of updates before you guys go back to the auditorium for sleeping though.

OverReactionGuy rolled 1 die of 100 faces, total: 33+15 = 48
    For: finding Neon
    Rolled on: May-06-2016, 07:55pm

OverReactionGuy rolled 1 die of 100 faces, total: 31
    For: event
    Rolled on: May-06-2016, 08:01pm

Last edited: May 6, 2016
  12. OverReactionGuy

Sorry, having a few issues right now that I need to sort through so I haven't wrote yet in any of my stories I have going on. Hopefully I'll have something up for you guys at least on Saturday or Sunday.

I'll try to write it today though, but no promises.

Happerry and vyor like this.
  13. OverReactionGuy

The number of issues that keep popping up with me makes me regret trying to start a quest again as I always feel bad that I can't even stick to the scheduled I made myself due to asinine reasons.

I have the chapter like halfway done but I haven't worked on it for like four days due to shit. And this is the second day in a row I have a fucking migraine.

Anyway, a bit of a mechanic discussion. This is somewhat of a test run on a few things that may need to be tweaked int he future.

Rolls.

There are no social rolls, I tend to take into account on Penny's past history with the person to write social stuff. Unless you add an action like say, "Charm person" or whatever then there would be a roll. Trying to convince someone of something utterly unbelievable would also be a roll, but you get bonus's to it on how good your relationship with the person is and your reputation, that sort of thing.

Event rolls: Theses tend to only be used when I am torn between two or more choices like the previous one or what not. Sometimes you may miss an event due to a bad roll, but sometimes that may be a good thing.

Loot rolls: You probably don't need me to explain this. The higher the roll, the bigger the shiny. Though loot rolls would only come up in certain situations.

Combat rolls: If you are facing something that is not mook level, which you could defeat easily, then there would be an actual combat roll. This has many bonuses and I will likely allow stunts for it if you want to deal with it in a specific way or target any weak points; like kicking a guy in the dick.

Bonuses:

This already showed up in the previous roll on whether or not you would find Neon before she left the house. But I'll explain why you got a bonus +15 to that roll that allowed you to find her in the first place by the skin of your teeth.

Environment bonus: Sometimes the environment is a boon to you or is hazardous to you. This will net you either a bonus or a minus. Take the finding Neon for example, you got a plus ten due to the environment since everyone started to shuffle about, some even leaving, making it easy for you find the one pink wearing girl where everyone else is wearing dull grays. If Neon was wearing dull gray however, you'd likely get a minus to the roll instead of a plus since it would be like looking for a needle in a haystack.

History bonus: Likely will only go up to a +5 bonus to the roll, or I'll allow it to chain a tiny bit higher... I need to think on this. If you have a previous history with a person, you would likely receive this bonus in an action regarding said person.

Questions and concerns? Am I making this too complicated?

Anyway, expect the chapter to be delayed further as I get rid of my headache. Unless someone wants to finish writing the chapter for me as I tell you what I wanted to put in it and the options I wanted to include at the end.

But likely there will be a delay instead. Ciao and I wish you guys a headache free night.

14. Threadmarks: 1.3
    OverReactionGuy

Winning vote:

--[X]Try to find Neon.

Here kitty, kitty.

After thinking about it, I decided to try and find Neon Katt instead. While meeting new people might have been interesting, I still haven't asked if Neon wanted to be friends. Something that must change post haste!

So I looked around, trying to spot Neons unique look through the crowds of people. Sadly the same crowd was making it surprisingly difficult. Feeling dejected, I was about to give in and just explore the Academy on my lonesome when I saw a shimmer of pink moving through the crowd. I smiled, as that must be Neon since she is likely the only one that wore pink here.

Wading through the crowd, following the bare hints of pink, I managed to spot Neon just as she was about to exit the auditorium!

“Neon!” I yelled out, startling the people around me and causing my target of friendship to jump in shock. She turned around quickly and caught me waving at her as I made my way to her. Everyone kindly didn't get in my way, so I wasn't delayed any further and managed to join Neon near the exit quickly.

“Yo Penny, what's up?” She asked and gave me a brilliant smile after she got out of her initial shock. I smiled as well.

“Do you want to explore with me?” I questioned her and she tilted her head and leaned back while poking her cheek with a finger; making a show of thinking about her answer.

“Sure, why not!” She exclaimed, clearly excited.

With that we left the auditorium, leaving the crowd of onlookers behind. Me walking confidently forwards with her slowly skating along side me. She sped up a little and spun around.

“Sooo, where you want to go?” She asked as she skated backwards easily.

I tilted my head and simply stated. “Everywhere.”

She blinked and slowly skidded to a stop. “Everywhere?”

I nodded my head seriously. “Everywhere.”

She simply shrugged at my answer before replying again.

“So, just randomly choosing a direction to go to then?” She tilted her head. “Don't think we have enough time to go everywhere though.”

“No problem.” I stated. “We have enough time to get a basic lay of the land at least.”

She looked at me, clearly confused. We stayed here in silence long enough for a few people pass by, before she came to her senses.

“Sure,” she shrugged deciding not to question me. “Where do you want to go first? Dormitories. court yard, classrooms...?”

I tiled my head as I thought how to answer that.

“Let's go that way.” I stated, pointing to a random direction on the side.

“Alright.” She agreed easily enough and we started to move yet again.

Perfect time to ask if she wants to be friends. I thought as we walked along in a sedate pace.

“Do you want to be friends?” I asked, feeling nervous. I wondered if we would end up parting here if she said no.

“Sure!” She exclaim cheerfully and I smiled. When she was still looking away, I gave myself a congratulatory fist pump as the situation called for it.

We continued to walk in a sedate pace with no real change, except there was a noticeable skip to my steps as I was happy at making my first friend that wasn't a part of my family.

“And then my sis was like, “Neon! I will have revenge!” My friend exclaimed, trying to mimic her sisters voice and using air quotes as she skated backwards, telling an amusing story about her family. She apparently had an older sister and a younger sister, and a mother. There was no mention of her father, so I didn't pry further regarding him. “And then I was like, “Sis! Your hair looks soo much better pink! It's Much cuter!” I nodded my head, deferring to her obviously greater experience in the matters of fashion.

“And that of course made her chase me all over the house as she screamed expletives at me, which of course, only made me laugh harder.” I was confused as to why her sister was mad about her fashion advice, but I continued to listen intently to the story. “But then, well... I accidentally ran into Little Ammy, causing her to drop her purple alligator stuffed animal that she takes everywhere, and... lets just say... the room got chiller when Ammy glared at the two of us.”

As she said that Neon stopped skating and hugged herself as she shivered. “Ammy can be very scary for a ten year old.... anyway!” She shook her head and grinned at me with one hand covering her mouth. “Any juicy stories you wanna share?” She asked, still grinning. “Like your first crush?”

I titled my head questionably at her.

“I never had to crush someone before, so I am sorry that I do not have a story about my first crush to share.”

She blinked. “That's not...”

“But I can share the amusing story where I accidentally put salt in my fathers coffee instead of sugar.” I interrupted her, and tapped my chin in thought.

That was an interesting conversation we had afterwards, apparently I would have messed up the coffee anyway as I would have dumped an entire bag of sugar into the cup instead of salt. It was enlightening when I found out that people don't generally consume entire bags of salt or sugar.

“Er... Earth to Penny?” Neon asked, waving one of her hands in front of my face, causing me to blink.

“Oh, sorry Neon. I was just thinking about home.” I stated softly and Neon nodded her head in understanding.

“Yeah... Atlas Academy is far away from home, isn't it?” She mused. “So, what was your home like?”

“Well, it was nice though it could get a bit hectic sometimes.” I smiled as I thought about the scientists antics as they went about their day. “My father is a rather important person and a close friend with General Ironwood.” Neons eyes widen as I mention need that. “He even helped give the general an replacement arm when he lost his.”

“Eh, really?!” Neon exclaimed in surprise.

I nodded my head.

“Yes, really.” I stated seriously.

“So Ironwood really did lose one of his arms?” She mused.

“Yes, to a Grimm I think, I never really asked him about that when we talked.” I said and shuffled feet. I wondered if I was suppose to keep that a secret.

“At least he's doing alright.” She smiled. “Lost arm or not, he still is one of Atlas's greatest heros.”

I nodded my head my head in agreement and then we started to walk again.

“So, I bet you had a rather interesting time growing up.” She said as she put her arms behind her head, casually skating forward.

She was rather good with roller blades and I wondered what the story was behind them.

“Yes.” I agreed. “Though this is the first time I've been around people my own age though.”

That caused Neon's hands to drop back down, as if by surprise, before she muttered, “That explains a few things.”

“Hmm?” I looked at her inquisitively, trying to figure out what she meant by that.
    “Oh, nothing.” She said quickly, moving a bit further ahead. I narrowed my eyes in suspicion as I stared at her back. “Anyway, we definitely need to go on a trip in the town in our next break.”

Smiling at the thought of my first trip to a city with a friend, there was only one thing I could say to that.

“I would like that.” I agreed with her.

With that there was a lull in the conversation, as we just walked forward. There wasn't a lot of people around, so the trip was peaceful. I noticed that we were walking in a different courtyard and I started to hear a faint sound that grew louder and louder as we neared a patio.

“Is that a guy playing a trumpet?” Neon asked incredulously.

“Yes, I believe so.” I simply stated.

“Want to go bu- talk to him?” She asked, the was a hint of mischief in her tone.

I tiled my head as I thought about it.

[] “Sure.” Go bu-talk to him and possibly make another friend!
    []Shake your head no and say. “Let's just leave him be and continue on.” Point to another random direction and start walking towards it.
    []Just listen to the music he's playing as you never heard a trumpet get played in person before.
    [] Follow Neon's lead.

Hahahahahaha, I managed to finish this chapter! Me one, Migraines zero!

-ahem-

Sorry about the long delays, I think I might end up switching my scheduled to being once every two weeks instead of trying once every week at this point.

If anyone seems totally out of character, please mention it and I may fix it up a bit. Also sorry about the numerous errors that are likely present in the chapter as I never can catch them all before I post.

ShamilBek, Sat, Lovnag and 22 others like this.
  15. SemiAnarchist

SemiAnarchist Versed in the lewd.

[X] "Sure." Go bu-talk to him and possibly make another friend!

Social link Penny go!

16. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

[X] “Sure.” Go bu-talk to him and possibly make another friend!

17. SolipsistSerpent

SolipsistSerpent Endlessly Devouring

Plus, we're humoring Neon, which should get Penny farther into her good books.

18. OverReactionGuy

I'll be closing the vote this Friday and depending on my insomnia the update would likely be on a Sunday. Also, a three way tie? Cmon people. ;P

SemiAnarchist likes this.
  19. vyor

vyor Oh that's cute

HALPING!

20. unsafejakal

unsafejakal Not too sore, are you?

[X] Follow Neon's lead.

21. Alexander

Alexander That is not dead which can eternal lie

22. OverReactionGuy

Votes close after I next wake up. Which depending on things, likely may end up being tomorrow instead of later today. I'll also try to have the next update ready to post by Sunday, but I make no promises.

The winning vote seems to be this so far though.

[] “Sure.” Go bu-talk to him and possibly make another friend!

moonberserker likes this.
  23. moonberserker

moonberserker Experienced.

I'm following this now. :D

OverReactionGuy likes this.
  24. OverReactionGuy

And vote is closed.

25. moonberserker

moonberserker Experienced.

Aww I read your last message as votes are closed. Well the option I wanted won so...

26. OverReactionGuy

No worries, there always is next time.