• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

(Request) Button to Collapse non-OP posts

Banichi

9/10ths Lurker Member
Would it be possible to do something like this, maybe in the Creative Writing section?

I look at the signal/noise ratio on some sites, compared to here, and flinch at the idea of reading through a 300+ page story thread with less than 50 posts of useful content.
Given that this site has a smaller user base, I don't anticipate seeing that situation anytime soon, but it would be nice to have the option just to see the OP's posts.

Thank you for your time.

More often than not- well, actually, I've never seen a story that doesn't have an index of some kind. On the other hand, there are sometimes important non-story posts by the author.

Depends on how much work it would be. If this would require extensive testing and set-up time, I wouldn't go for it. Of course, that's only if it's possible.

Cursory research doesn't show a way to do this easily on the XenForo end.

If I were to make a suggestion, it'd be to make a user script for it. This shouldn't be that difficult, using jQuery or similar, though since it wouldn't have access to the server end it'd still show the unmodified pagination. Maybe if I have some time in the future I'll try writing one and post it.

Would it be possible to do something like this, maybe in the Creative Writing section?

I look at the signal/noise ratio on some sites, compared to here, and flinch at the idea of reading through a 300+ page story thread with less than 50 posts of useful content.
Given that this site has a smaller user base, I don't anticipate seeing that situation anytime soon, but it would be nice to have the option just to see the OP's posts.

Thank you for your time.
Yeah that would be probably custom development work to do that which costs $$$.

So a possibility down the line, but only if we somehow end up with a surplus of hundreds of dollars.

A better(cheaper) way would be to convince authors to post story snippets and chapters in the archive threads and have a regular discussion thread in the normal CrW sections.

Or do a search for the OP?

If I were to make a suggestion, it'd be to make a user script for it. This shouldn't be that difficult, using jQuery or similar, though since it wouldn't have access to the server end it'd still show the unmodified pagination. Maybe if I have some time in the future I'll try writing one and post it.

Here you go.
Code:
$('li.message[data-author!="'+$(".titleBar .username").text()+'"]').hide(),undefined

v1.01: Patched a small bug involving indexing.
v1.1: Altered for bookmarkletizability in Firefox.
v1.2 (current): Shortened significantly.

Should be suitable for bookmarkletting. Can easily be transformed into a bookmarklet; just prepend "javascript:" and use it as a URL. The trailing ",undefined" is necessary on Firefox.

Only tested on Dark Responsive. Tested on at least one coloration of all currently-available styles.

Last edited:
Wow.
Coders are impressive.

That is a fantastic response to something I had thought might be brought up in six months or more.

Thank you very much.

Here you go. (EDIT: Patched a small bug.
Code:
$('li.message')
  .filter("[data-author!='"+$(".titleBar .username").text()+"']")
  .css('display','none')

Should be suitable for bookmarkletting. Can easily be transformed into a bookmarklet; just prepend "javascript:" and use it as a URL. The trailing ",0" is just to keep a bunch of noise from coming up if you type it into the browser console.

Only tested on Dark Responsive. Tested on at least one coloration of all currently-available styles.
This does not seem to load correctly in firefox for some reason. It loads as a URL and pulls up a blank page instead of running as a script, despite me prepending javascript: to it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back