• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
"Yeah, you said Jaune was in Vale? I think that's him. I didn't know he was in training at Beacon!"

"He's not," Isabel stated firmly, blue eyes cold as ice, "He just got into some trouble and he's recovering under Ozpin's supervision. But he is not training."

"Are you sure? Because-"

Qrow had gotten behind Isabel and made the old Team STRQ hand signals for 'Do not reveal this or we are so screwed!'

It had come in handy many a time.

Qrow is a bro.

Thanks for the chapter!

Omake: The Cake Trap
Weiss: "You bake cake?"

Jaune: "Again, seven sisters, mom's a famous doctor and sucks at cooking. Most of us had to learn how to cook to survive. Here, try some."

Weiss: eats it "..."

Jaune: "Sorry if it's a little too squishy, that recipe can be complicated-"

Weiss: "Jaune... I want to hire you as my cake butler."

Jaune: "... Pardon?"

Weiss: "You. Make cakes for me. I pay you. You bring me cakes. I pay you. FOREVER."

Jaune: "Uhhhhh... No."

Weiss: "I'll pay any price-"

Jaune: "NO."

Weiss: "I'll offer my body-!"

Jaune: "STILL NO!"

Weiss: "PLEASE JAUNE! This... This is the best cake I've ever tasted! It transcends any regular cake! I... Wait... YOU! You must be using your... Your Semblance! Or Dust! This cake can't be this good! You're trying to get me to love you so you can take my money and titles!"

Jaune: bonks her "Cut that out!"

Weiss: "OW!"

Jaune: "Gods, why am I the sanest one around here? Weiss, it's JUST CAKE."

Weiss: "You don't understand, Jaune! This cake is... is a revelation! ALL CAKE BEFORE IT WAS A SHADOW BEFORE THIS CAKE PERFECTION! I CAN'T LIVE WITHOUT IT!"

Jaune: bonks her "No. Stop being crazy. No more cake for you."

Weiss: "PLEASE! I'LL HAVE YOUR BABIES! No, no, WAIT! That's what you WANT FROM ME, YOU FIEND!"

Jaune: sighs, turns and leaves with the cake

Weiss: "That was... Close... Too close..." sobs "Oh Klein, my beloved cake butler... I'm so sorry! I've betrayed you! HIS CAKE IS TOO GOOOOOD!" sobs "I'VE FALLEN FOR HIM! JAUNE AND HIS DIABOLICAL CAKE SCHEMES HAVE CAPTURED MY HEART!"

Ruby: "..." Looks over at Yang and Blake "Uhhh...?"

Yang: "Let's just ignore her. Geez... All this over cake, when she doesn't even have any herself!"

Weiss: "I KNOW! JAUNE TOOK IT ALL WITH HIM!"

Blake: sighs "I'm going to go read. Let me know when she's stopped being crazy."

Omake: The Social Network
Jaune was on his Scroll with his team and Team RWBY in their common room.

Yang: "Come on, Jaune, you can't have forgotten all your social media passwords!"

Jaune: "I was three months without my Scroll fighting for my life, that didn't seem as important! Okay... And... There we go."

Ruby: "Hurry up! I wanna friend you on Dustbook!"

Jaune: "I'm in and... The fuck?!"

Ruby: "What? What is it?"

Jaune: "I've got... A million hate posts and comments? 'Stay away from her you bastard'? 'Shifty blonde dickhead'? What's going on-Pyrrha. I know that smile."

Pyrrha: "Um, this smile?"

Jaune: "Yes, the 'I'm terribly uncomfortable and embarrassed smile.' Like Aqua when her booze is found at home. What did you do?"

Pyrrha: "N-Nothing! Nothing! I just had a talk with my manager, and he wanted some pictures of my team for promotional purposes-You did sign the waivers, after all-"

Ren: "We're getting paid, right?"

Pyrrha: "Absolutely! Just give me your financial info, you'll get reimbursed!"

Nora: "YAY! Finally, our lives as traumatized orphans is paying off!"

Ren: "Indeed."

Pyrrha: "And of course they wanted to know about you, Jaune, so I gave a brief-Very brief and complimentary-interview via Scope, and uh..."

Yang: deadpan, holds up her scroll and plays a video "You mean this one?"

Lisa Lavender is in one window in her office, and Pyrrha is in another window in an empty room at Beacon.

Lisa: "So Pyrrha, who's the leader of your team? Many of your fans are upset you aren't leading it."

Pyrrha: "I'm glad for it. Jaune is... He's really something. A cunning, clever, tactical mind. We fight together so well, we have such good synergy! He's so brutal and savage and yet calculating! Like a barbarian king who fought his way up, ready to challenge the world and uh..." Blush "We get along very, very well!"

Lisa: "Sounds like you two are very close, hmmm?"

Pyrrha: "Well... I mean... We're keeping it professional... You know..."

Lisa: "I don't~."

Pyrrha: "No comment!"

The video ended. Pyrrha blushed hard, as Ruby, Yang, and even Weiss glared death at her.

Pyrrha: "I was being honest!"

Weiss: "That's the last thing you should be in an interview!"

Jaune: groans

Fifteen
- - -

Yang had never wanted to be a leader.

Being responsible for the house, for Ruby, after Summer died and Dad just… Fell apart? That had given her an early taste of how bitter it was to be in charge. To have to make decisions, big decisions, that would affect lives.

She'd made that stupid decision to go out into the woods with her little sister in a wagon, to seek out a mother who hadn't even been there. It had nearly gotten them killed, if not for Uncle Qrow.

Responsibility was a bitter thing. It meant you were left holding the bag if other people decided to call it quits. Or to die.

But someone had to do it. Ruby had needed her. So while Dad slowly pulled himself back together, and Uncle Qrow went off to work and earn money for them while drinking, Yang learned to cook. Yang learned to clean. Yang lied to the service lady that their dad was tired from going out hunting. Yang did homework with Ruby, told her stories, and held her when she cried.

She'd become the popular party girl at Signal just for the sake of Ruby-Who would pick on the kid sister of the most popular girl in school? But most of her reputation was just… Just smoke and mirrors. She trashed nightclubs and danced because she liked it, but… It was all a sideshow compared to the energy she put into her family. She'd gone on dates, but nothing had ever happened.

Nothing could happen, while Ruby needed her.

She loved her sister and would do it all over in a heartbeat, but it was hard to trust further than that. That's why she'd been fine with Ruby becoming team leader. She had charisma, she took initiative, and she worked hard despite her lack of experience.

But Ruby wasn't here. Neither was Jaune, and hadn't he shown he could handle barking orders and making decisions in a pinch!

It was obvious the rest of their two teams weren't really suited for it. Pyrrha was either far too compliant or way too aggressive (and hopelessly obsessed with Jaune in either case). Weiss had experience barking orders but didn't command respect or inspire hope. Ren was calm under pressure, but not very forthright. Nora was a ball of chaos and violence.

So that left her.

She didn't want to take responsibility… But someone had to.

"Weiss! Keep throwing up Glyphs!" Yang shouted, leaping into the air with an assist from her Gauntlets. She twisted in mid-air and landed briefly on a Glyph the Schnee heiress had summoned, firing back into the mass of Grimm chasing them through the forest. "Pyrrha! On your right!"

Pyrrha landed with perfect grace on another Glyph Weiss frantically threw up as they ran, and casually dispatched the Reynard lunging for them without even looking. Yang grit her teeth a bit in jealousy, even as she blasted away with Ember Celica and brought down two more Beowulves running ahead of the main mass.

Ren and Nora kept running, still staying ahead of them despite their Aura exhaustion. They didn't need to do more, though it was clear they wanted to.

No, focus…!

She backflipped off the Glyph, and landed on another, still firing into the mass. It was getting smaller, though whether that was from the casualties they were inflicting or members of the mass getting trampled or what? She couldn't tell.

But it was still too much for just the five of them, especially when they were running down a smooth, dry riverbed path through the forest. It had twists and turns, which, with their fire, had slowed the Grimm down, but now they were coming up to the straight bit. And they were slowed, the Grimm weren't.

Their only hope was to keep running, and stack them up until they got back to the main body of students.

Even over the shots of their weapons, Yang could make out another gun going off nearby… Getting closer…

"It's Jaune!" Pyrrha cried happily, just before the raggedy clad knight emerged over a ridge. Blake was with him. In his arms he carried-

"RUBY!"

Jaune and Blake jumped down onto the riverbed and merged with them, keeping up as they rounded another corner. Ahead was daylight, straight ahead, gleaming through the trees… But still so far away.

"You guys okay?! Sitrep!" Jaune shouted.

"Aura depleted, no ammo, but fine!" Ren called out.

"Need pancakes and syrup!" Nora shouted.

"Aura at 60 percent, running low on ammo Jaune!" Pyrrha called out.

"I'm only a little under that!" Weiss shouted.

"I'm fine!" Yang shouted, her eyes on her little sister."Is she-?!"

Jaune flashed her a grin.

"She'll be okay! Broken wrist, some blood loss, bit by Vermin, gave her anti-toxin, aura depletion," Jaune shouted, "How long is this straight?"

"Half a mile!" Weiss shouted back.

Yang saw Jaune grimace. Yeah, he realized it too. They'd be run down and overwhelmed.

"Hwah…?" Ruby's eyes fluttered open. She looked around, and realized where she was with a blush. "J-Jaune? Where-?"

"No time!" Jaune shouted. He looked around, eyes locked onto the trees framing the riverbed like the arches holding a tunnel up. "Blake! Take Ruby!"

The black-clad ninja girl took Ruby into her arms and up over her shoulder without question. Jaune looked over at Weiss.

"Weiss! You got any Ice dust left?!"

She held up some Dust rounds.

"Last ones!" Weiss shouted.

"Throw up an ice wall behind us and keep running!"

Weiss complied, the Glyphs flashing into existence behind them and a ten foot wall of ice burst up out of nothing across the riverbed.

"It won't hold long!" Weiss shouted, and everyone saw as the Grimm rammed into it that the ice was splintering and cracking.

"Long enough!" Jaune shouted, skidding to a halt and running back. Yang's eyes widened in shock and disbelief, and hers weren't the only ones.

"JAUNE! WHAT ARE YOU DOING?!" She screamed, because Pyrrha was gaping in horror and Ruby was too exhausted to shout.

"ARC! DON'T BE A HERO!" Though even Weiss was flabbergasted. Nora just gave a little grin, as Ren looked a tiny bit alarmed-For him.

"JUST GRAB ME AFTERWARDS!" Jaune shouted, stopping only a few meters away from the crumbling ice wall. He held up his sword in a dueling salute… Then swung it up and down, then back and forth, his feet stomping in what appeared to be an elegant dance. A Beowulf burst through the ice wall and sprinted for him, gearing up to lunge for his throat.

"JAUNE!"

No, nonono, don't go crazy now, don't go crazy now! Yang begged whoever was listening. Not Jaune, not like this, not-!

Jaune pulled his sword back like it was a baseball bat, swung it… And a wave of yellow-white energy erupted from it. The Beowulf came apart as the wave passed through it… As did all the Grimm breaking through the ice wall. Then the next line of Grimm, then the next.

The wave battered the next line, and dissipated by the fifth… But by then, the aura strike had sliced through the trunks of all the trees lining the riverbank, and those fell like collapsing pillars onto the rest of the horde. Fires broke out, burning the trapped Grimm alive, and impeding the Grimm still trying to pursue.

Yang's jaw was somewhere around Remnant's core, as Jaune Arc calmly turned around. The fires formed a backdrop for him, a slight breeze kicked up his cloak to make it wave behind him like a flag. Smoothly, he twirled his sword around his hand, and slid it back into its sheath with a stern, almost heroic look on his face.

Her cheeks went bright red as she felt warm.

Oh shit… Okay… I think I can date him. I think I can date him no problem now, Ruby…

"Was… Was that… Did that country yokel just use an aura blade technique?!" Weiss cried out in shock.

"Oh yes he did," Pyrrha purred, gazing upon Jaune like he was her everything. It was hard to blame her at that moment though. Yang was having similarly naughty thoughts about the former Crybaby.

Down girl! He doesn't like crazy clingy chicks! Yang thought to herself.

"W-Wow," Ruby murmured, her eyes shining and her cheeks red. Ah, yeah, that was only expected. Little Ruby was definitely hitting puberty now.

"Golden Lion's Roar?!" Blake muttered, staring back over her shoulder like she had seen a ghost. Ah well, not everyone could appreciate a man showing off like a total badass.

"WOOHOO!" Nora cheered. She glanced over at the ever stoic Ren, and cooed.

"Aw. I like your Aura blasts better, Renny, don't you worry!"

"I wasn't worried about that," Ren said, "However, given Jaune's Aura control-"

Jaune Arc took two steps… And then fell flat on his face.

"JAUNE!"

Pyrrha reached out, and black Aura surrounded Jaune's body. He flew from the dirt, all the way into Pyrrha's arms. The group resumed running, as a few Reynards managed to get around the fiery blockade.

Yang ran alongside Pyrrha, and grabbed Jaune's scroll out of his belt. She gaped in disbelief at the Aura reading.

"You're at one percent?!" She demanded.

"Haaa… Well… Did better than I thought I would," Jaune managed to mumble."Last time I did it, I was at full, then collapsed immediately,"

"Small wonder," Ren commented, "His reserves are massive, but his control is terrible. We will work on that, Jaune."

"Thanks Ren, you're a bro," Jaune slurred,

"I'll happily train you in Aura Control and anything else you'd like, Jaune~," Pyrrha crooned, cradling Jaune in a bridal carry.

"That's nice, please don't molest me," Jaune stated.

"I-I'm not molesting-"

"Pyrrha!"

Yang elbowed Pyrrha, and yanked Jaune out of her arms.

"Take out those flankers, P-Money!" Yang shouted. "Flirt later!"

Pyrrha nearly glared… Then threw her shield like a discus to slice three snarling Reynards in half without sparing them a glance.

"Thanks Yang, she needs her hands free," Jaune groaned.

"So does she!" Pyrrha insisted.

"STOP FLIRTING AND RUN FASTER!" Weiss screamed.

"THEY CAN DO BOTH!" Nora shouted.

- - -

Sixteen
- - -

"You gonna finish that?"

Coco slapped Fox's hand away as he reached for her sandwich. "I'm still eating."

"No, you're spectating. All you've done is hold that sandwich in your hand for the past ten minutes while you stare at Velvet on her date." Fox retorted. "If you're not eating, then you're letting Velvet's food go to waste."

"For which we'll need to oust you from your position as leader of Team CFVY, as that is a crime that cannot stand." Yatsuhashi said in assertion to his teammate's comment. "We would happily go to war for Velvet's cooking."

Coco rolled her eyes and took a large bite of her sandwich, making an overdramatic show of chewing and swallowing before turning back to stare at where Velvet and Cardin were sitting. "I just need to be ready for my moment."

"What moment?"

"For when Winchester shows his true colors and Velvet needs me to rescue her from that jerk." Coco replied, earning sighs from both boys.

"You're still on about this?" Fox groaned. "You're not Velvet's mom, Coco. Just let her enjoy her picnic date in peace."

"While I'll admit his first impression left something to be desired, we are all prone to being fools when blinded by passion." Yatsuhashi said. "Why is it so hard for you to believe that Cardin's feelings for Velvet are genuine? Why default to suspicion?"

"Because Velvet's… well, Velvet!" Coco insisted, earning unimpressed looks from her male teammates. "Look, you guys didn't know her before, but she was a bundle of shyness and insecurity before I cracked that shell. I worked hard on that girl to make her the kickass bombshell she is today! I just don't want her to have a bad experience!"

"You cannot protect her from everything. Let her have both good and bad experiences on her own." Yatsuhashi advised.

While it was sensible advice on paper, Coco wasn't having it. "I'm not just gonna sit back and let some jerk like Winchester trick her into-"

"Hey, that's our leader you're talking about there."

Coco, Fox and Yatsuhashi all jolted when a new voice suddenly made an interjection into their conversation, and the trio turned to find another trio crouched in the bushes next to the tree they were eating underneath.

"You are the other members of Team CRDL, yes?" Yatsuhashi asked.

"That's us." Russel answered before shooting a glare in Coco's direction, with Dove and Sky adopting similar harsh expressions toward Team CFVY's leader. "And we're not gonna let you mess this up for Cardin!"

"Jaune got the ball rolling on this whole thing and we're gonna help our leader get a hot bunny girlfriend!"

"And that means being good wingmen and NOT letting a helicopter teammate ruin his date!"

"Helicopter teammate?!" Coco gasped, offended by the accusation while Yatsuhashi and Fox shared a smile and an understanding nod behind her back. "I'm not…! Look, I'm just being a good friend and looking out for my girl! And I don't think your leader is good enough for her!"

"Cardin is plenty good enough for her!" Dove objected.

"Yeah! He'd be a great boyfriend for your teammate! Cardin's pretty solid when you need a solid guy." Sky added firmly.

"Plus he's super loyal. Once he and Velvet go official you can bet he'd move mountains for his girlfriend." Russel finished.

"You all seem to have rather high opinions of your leader." Yatsuhashi spoke up before Coco could make her retort to the trio's words.

"I've known the guy since we were kids." Russel continued at the larger teen's prompting. "He can be harsh to strangers, but he'll go the distance for his friends. I guess he looks harsh to some people, but that's because he's been raised in a family with expectations for him."

"Winchester…" Yatsuhashi mused. "I thought I recognized the name. That's a very old family name, tied to the founding and establishment of Vale itself."

"There's a Winchester on the Vale Council too." Fox pointed out. "So Cardin's from that old family, eh?"

"A family that's known to view the faunus none too well." Coco said, finally edging some words in.

"I mean, I know Cardin's grandparents used to describe the faunus pretty harshly before they passed, but I never heard Cardin's parents talk negatively about any faunus except those in the White Fang." Russel said defensively.

"Thanks for the trivia about Winchester's family life, but I've got a question for you, mohawk. if you've been Winchester's chum for most of his life, what's he trying to pull with Velvet?" Coco asked with a glare. "Because I'm gonna be honest with you, when I think about your leader tugging on Velvet's ears and laughing about it I'm inclined to believe that he molded his attitude to be more like grandpappy and grandmommy and is just leading Vel on so he can put her down later…"

"Yeah, honestly, we kinda thought that too. Cardin did kinda get rough and talk down to some faunus in the past. We thought at first he was just moving onto the rabbit after he and Jaune hashed things out." Dove muttered.

"...But thinking about it, weren't most of those faunus he messed with before women?" Sky asked his two teammates. "Remember that one girl who got injured while running track back in prep school? She was a rabbit faunus too, and when she got hurt he told her in front of the whole class to stop wasting her time running and do something more suited to what she was."

"So Velvet's not the first rabbit girl he's messed with." Coco said decisively, more sure about her assumptions of Cardin than ever before.

"Yeah, I mean, calling her out like that in front of everything seemed bad… but didn't she actually wind up taking his words to heart and went on to become an ace on the pole vaulting team after that?" Dove mused. "Before graduation I heard she was in talks with agents to get in on the actual sports circuit."

Team CFVY exchanged looks at that odd piece of information.

"...I mean, it's a bit of a stretch to say that Cardin's responsible for that girl's growth." Yatsuhashi allowed when Coco gave him an expectant look. "Do you have any other examples of Cardin's interactions with the faunus race?"

"Well, there was that dog faunus he beat up in our last year of prep school." Russel remembered.

"Ah ha! So he IS a racist bully!" Coco cheered, feeling validated.

"...But that guy wound up being a White Fang sympathizer and had actually been trying to coerce other faunus students to join up with the White Fang after graduation." Russel continued. "A lot of faunus students were actually really happy Cardin took him out, especially after teachers apparently found evidence of him extorting students in some notebooks that were confiscated."

"...I mean, you can't really praise someone for assaulting someone randomly even if that someone turned out to be a criminal by coincidence." Fox shrugged, following Yatsuhashi's lead in trying to placate their leader and support her position.

"Hey guys, didn't that girl Cardin confessed to in our first year way back when… wasn't she a faunus?" Sky asked.

"I don't think so. It was Cardin's first and only confession to another girl so I think we'd have noticed if she had animal parts." Russel muttered uncertainly.

"No, she was a faunus." Dove said firmly. "She was a rhino faunus, her bangs just hid her horn. Later on Cardin told me he only asked her out on a dare and didn't know she was a faunus… but seeing him with Velvet now, maybe back then he was just covering up his embarrassment?"

"We sure he actually tried confessing and he wasn't just messing with her?"

"I dunno. It happened so long ago…"

Coco scoffed as Team CRDL got lost in their discussion. "I mean, from what's been said… it can be said that Cardin has issues with faunus-"

"But an alternative perspective is that he's had positive interactions with faunus to a degree." Yatsuhashi argued.

"Or he just sucks at being a racist." Fox suggested.

Yatsuhashi nodded. "Or that."

"Whatever. I'm still not convinced Winchester really likes Velvet." Coco insisted. "He could just be making-"

A roar from the left suddenly cut her off, and upon turning toward the source of the sound her eyes widened when a group of Ursa Grimm suddenly tore out of the foliage and started rampaging around the area she and the other teams had chosen to settle down and eat at.

The shock wore off quickly enough, as even if no one present aside from Glynda were licensed Hunters, everyone knew how to react when a Grimm suddenly attacked. People were already dodging out of the way and those who had been smart enough to keep their weapons close at hand were already pulling them out, with Coco herself reaching across her team's picnic blanket and grabbing her handbag minigun.

Coco cursed when she saw an Ursa barreling toward Velvet and Cardin. Velvet was scrambling across the blanket while Cardin had shot to his feet. The leader of Team CRDL didn't appear to have his weapon on him and Velvet didn't have time to get her own out, which left them defenseless. And even as her finger pressed the trigger of her minigun, the startup time to fire meant that the Ursa would be upon those two before she could-

Coco's sunglasses nearly slipped off her face when, to the shock of everyone looking, Cardin suddenly stepped up and slammed a haymaker punch directly into the charging Ursa's face. With Cardin's heavy armor and aura combined, the Ursa staggered and face planted into the ground from Cardin's blow. While clearly disoriented, the punch was far from a killing blow as the Ursa growled and pushed itself back up as it prepared to charge once more.

But before it could kick off again, Coco's bullets tore into its body and reduced it to black ash after a few seconds of concentrated fire.

"EVERYONE, HIT THE DECK!" Coco screamed and swept across the picnic area with her gun.

Students dropped to the ground and her bullets tore into the bulky Ursa, as even when she wasn't aiming their bodies were large enough that her sweeping motions still punched them full of dust bullets. Injured, the remaining Ursa lost their momentum and growled as they lumbered around the grounds as they swept their claws at nearby students or hobbled toward the trees in an effort to retreat.

Coco wasn't about to let that happen.

"ALRIGHT, EVERYONE UP! LET THESE GRIZZLIES HAVE IT!"

Her second command prompted everyone in possession of a weapon to jump up from where'd they'd huddled down and immediately descend on the weakened Grimm. There'd only been a half a dozen Grimm, and with four times that number of huntsman-in-training in the clearing they'd all been relaxing at, the remaining Ursa were reduced to black dust in a matter of seconds. Her teammates as well as Cardin's own helped see to that.

"Nice show of leadership there, first-year. Maybe you should fly over to Atlas once you graduate. You could make for a good general."

Coco glanced up to see Ragora floating above them, sitting atop her familiar and looking like a queen observing her people from her throne. Coco scoffed and planted a hand on her hip as she glared up at the senior student over her sunglasses.

"And what, you were just floating up there watching the whole time?" Coco asked.

"Actually I was busy helping my team fight off another group of Grimm trying to flank this group from the other side." Ragora quipped with a coy smile. "Finished up just seconds ago. Now I'm acting as a lookout, and there's suddenly quite a commotion in this forest. I sense shenanigans."

Coco opened her mouth to reply but the rest of Team SLVR emerged from the other side of the clearing, with Simin calling out instructions to everyone present.

"Everyone, please proceed southwest back to the bullheads! We've got a sizable horde of Grimm that have popped up and we're erring on the side of caution here. We're gonna leave and head back to Beacon instead of fighting the Grimm off as an additional job!" Simin announced. "No arguments! And there won't be any extra credit for anyone trying to play hero or racking up a kill count for the Grimm! Get packed and get moving!"

"You heard the boss!" Ragora called out. "Pack up, kids! Stay together and don't leave anything or anyone behind. That includes the sap you've gathered."

"Shouldn't we leave it behind?" Dove asked. "Is the sap really that important?"

"Not to us, but it IS still our job to gather it up and it's a hunter's job to see jobs through to the end as best they can. So long as it doesn't pose significant risk to themselves, of course." Ragora smiled.

"And while the Grimm attacking in these numbers is unexpected, it's not so much that the dozens of teams present here can't evacuate and complete the job that we've been given at the same time." Simin finished for his teammate. "Ragora, stay high and keep looking out for any Grimm. Vella, I want you on the treetops and take out any stray Grimm or impede any groups of them coming our way. Ragora, you're also gonna be her spotter from up there."

"I'm on it!" Vella said, snapping a salute and springing up into the treetops.

"My eyeballs are at your disposal." Ragora drawled as she lazed atop her skull, but even if her tone was lazy and her body looked slack, her eyes were sharp as she scanned their surroundings from up high.

Simin nodded at the girls before he turned towards his last teammate. "Lye, you're gonna lead the pack. Make sure everyone here gets to the bullhead landing and be ready to receive anyone else who's not in this group.

"Seriously, boss? More babysitting?" Lycan whined, holding up a hand as Simin opened his mouth to reprimand him "But yeah, I hear ya. I'll get everyone to the bullheads safely. Goodwitch better give us extra credit for this…"

Lycan waves his arms and corralled all the teams together before he started leading the way back to the landing zone. Teams quickly packed up their lunches and belongings while dividing duties to carry the jars of sap they'd gathered.

"Coco, right?" Simin asked, eyes on Team CFVY's leader as he approached their group.

"That's me." Coco nodded.

"You think you and your team could form up a rearguard with me? Lycan's gonna lead, but I could use some help making sure our backline isn't rushed by Grimm."

"Team CFVY's gotcha covered." Coco confirmed, giving the upperclassman a thumbs up.

"Good. Though… where's your fourth?"

"Over here."

The group turned and all blinked when they came across the sight of Cardin carrying Velvet bridal style in his arms. The rabbit faunus's face was bright red while the armored teen looked extremely put out by his own actions.

"This one twisted her ankle." Cardin informed them all, gesturing down to the girl in his arms. "Because she was too busy panicking when the Grimm showed up."

"I-I wasn't panicking!" Velvet protested in Cardin's arms. "I-I was just surprised! And I was afraid my photos were gonna get ruined and I tried to put them away, but lost my footing and fell down wrong so-"

"Photographs or your life, remind me which is more important?" Cardin growled, causing Velvet to duck her head in embarrassment. He glanced over at Velvet's largest teammate. "You wanna take her off my hands?"

"I suppose I-" Yatsuhashi started before Russel stepped in front of him.

"Nah, you can take care of her Cardin! Me, Dove and Sky will help cover your backs!"

"Yeah, you can get Velvet to the bullheads safely! We'll help out Team CFVY in her place!" Dove said, giving their leader a thumbs up.

"I got your breastplate too!" Sky added, hefting up the piece of armor Cardin had removed earlier. "Leave watching your backs to us!"

Cardin just gave his teammates a flabbergasted look. "What are you guys on about? What does it matter if I-"

"You better get going, man!" Russel said, speaking over Cardin. "Aura's great an all, but it can't heal breaks and sprains like it can cuts and bruises! The sooner we get back to Beacon is the sooner we can get Velvet to the nurse!"

"…He's not wrong." Simin said with a small nod. "Would you mind carrying Velvet back to the bullheads."

Carding gapped at the group, looking from the teams that were staring at him and back down to the girl he was carrying, who wrung her hands together nervously as he held her in his arms.

"I-I mean, you don't need to carry me…" Velvet mumbled quietly. "Yats can do it…"

"…I'm fine with carrying her back." Cardin announced to the group, turning his head away from them as he made his decision. "It's the least I can do after she let me eat a good meal."

Cardin ignored the encouraging grins his teammates were giving him. They OBVIOUSLY still had the wrong idea from before. What he was doing right now didn't mean anything! He was just returning the favor Velvet did for him. It was thanks to her that he didn't go hungry during this outing!

Keeping his eyes ahead of him and not looking back at his team or looking down at the girl he was carrying, Cardin jogged off to follow the groups of teams Lycan was leading back toward the bullhead landing.

As the armored team retreated away from them, another leader suddenly had a revelation as she watched him.

"I get it now." Coco whispered as she saw Cardin carry Velvet off.

"Get what?" Fox asked.

"What that guy's deal is."

"...Don't tell me you're still gonna go on about-"

"That guy is in tsunderes with Vel!"

Both Yatsuhashi and Fox whipped their heads around to look at their leader.

"What."

Coco ignored the bewildered looks Fox and Yatsuhashi were giving her as she threw her head back and laughed. The gruff demeanor, the rude comments, the embarrassment he was so desperate to hide… if Coco hadn't seen it for herself she would've still been on the Winchester hate train, but it looked like her fears had been for nothing! That first interaction with the ear pulling really HAD been a front! Thinking about it, if the guy really was a faunus hater he would've just rejected Velvet's lunch invitation instead of dragging it out, or just insulted her outright from the get go. He also would have just ran off and left Velvet to fend for herself when the Grimm attacked since he'd been without a weapon.

Instead, he'd gone and punched out an Ursa to protect her!

"Big macho man has a crush on our little bunny but is too deep into his tough guy persona to show some real affection." Coco chuckled to herself. "Hoo boy, if I had a dollar for every guy I met with an attitude like that. Always gotta try being the strong man instead of letting any vulnerability show. I'd call it juvenile chauvinism, but I can see the chivalry hidden under the sour attitude. It's cute how bad he is at hiding his feelings, but it'll never get anywhere if someone doesn't get him the push he needs. And Vel certainly ain't gonna be the one to step up."

Giving another bark of laughter, Coco strode over to Cardin's teammates.

"Boys, walk with me. Talk with me." Coco smirked as she threw her arms around Dove and Russel's shoulders and shot a playful wink at Sky. "And let us plot about how we can make your leader a little more honest with himself so he can make my favorite bunny happy."

Yatsuhashi and Fox stared after Coco as she and other members of Team CRDL began discussing the blooming romance Cardin and Velvet had going on. Fox rubbed his forehead in exasperation.

"All that fuss she made about Winchester before and now she suddenly decides to flip her opinion about him…?" Fox sighed.

"You know our leader. Her moods are as unpredictable as the fashion brands she religiously tracks." Yatsuhashi chuckled as he pulled out his greatsword.

"True enough." Fox acknowledged as he pulled out his own weapons. "Let's follow along then back to Beacon."

"Right behind you."

Simin watched the two last members of Team CFVY follow the crowd, and after glancing around the clearing to make sure there were no stragglers left behind, made to follow after.

"You could learn a thing or two from them, boss." Ragora called down from her perch. "Those first years are already way farther along than you and-"

"Eyes on the forest, not on the drama brewing among the other students." Simin interrupted her with a roll of his eyes. "Goodwitch should locate the rest of the students not in our group and get them to the bullhead. Keep focused and give a shout if you notice any groups of Grimm headed our way."

"Will do, will do." Ragora sighed. "Seriously though, you could really-"

"Drop it, Ragora."

"Fine." Ragora pouted. "I'll just remind Lye to pick it up for me later. You really need all the help you can get."

Simin held back the urge to jump up and knock his teammate out of the sky for her commentary.

- - -

I'm guessing Aura Blade techniques are really rare, and difficult to master?

I'm in danger! - Ralph Wiggum

Thanks for the chapter.

Yup. Ren can use Aura to enhance his martial arts, but such techniques need to touch a target to deliver Aura into it to be effective.

Aura Projection techniques like what Gato, Jaune, and Adam use are very difficult to master because you need to force the Aura out into a beam. It takes a LOT of Aura and a LOT of skill to pull off without draining yourself to zero.

Gato in fact trained many promising Swordsman in these techniques... Adam, alas, being one of them.

Seventeen
- - -

Teams RWBY and JNPR broke out into daylight, still running as hard as they could. Ruby was still grinning brightly, even while carried over Blake's shoulder like a bag of laundry. Jaune was smiling a little himself, even if he had to be carried by Yang.

"We're gonna make it, we're gonna make it...!" Ruby cried.

The group slid to a halt. Ruby, tired as she was, managed to crane her neck to look over her shoulder.

"What's all the-Oh."

"For fuck's sake," Weiss, of all people, cursed.

Two dozen Ursa with several other smaller Grimm were gathered along the road they'd been gathering sap in just this morning. They looked a lot less organized, but it was still a big group. And the horde behind them was still coming if delayed.

"I'll handle this," Pyrrha said immediately, holding up her spear-rifle-sword and shield, "The rest of you run-"

"I'll stay behind, give you cover," Yang started, "My Semblance activates when I'm hit-"

"I'm team leader, I'll stay behind," Jaune said, trying to stagger up to his feet, sword and shield up.

"Like fun you will," Ruby stated firmly, "I'm team leader too!"

"Why are we arguing for who will be left behind to die?!" Weiss demanded. "We can think of something, right? Right?"

A spear composed of glowing green energy landed in the center of the gathered Grimm, and a tornado kicked up. All of those with combat skirts pushed them down as the wind whipped up debris and Grimm. The tornado sucked up multiple Grimm into its vortex, before another, fiery spear struck it.

The hyper-accelerated air, combined with the Dust-powered flames, resulted in a small but quite deadly fuel-air explosion going off, destroying the tornado and taking the Grimm to oblivion with it. The blast nearly knocked all the members of RWBY and JNPR down. Jaune nearly fell, if Yang and Pyrrha hadn't caught him at the same time. Nora held Ren tightly and didn't let go.

"... Good work, Weiss," Yang quipped.

"Wha... What was that?" Weiss managed, managing to get some words out.

The remaining Grimm in the vicinity soon began to grow green Dust arrows, which exploded and blew the monsters into smoke in short order. Anything left was swiftly dispatched by a blond wolf Faunus boy with ninjas claws and Dust-enhanced clones, and a witch-hat-wearing girl with a purple demon familiar and a hatchet that doubled as an auto-shotgun.

Out of the smoke, looking every inch the heroic upperclassman and future Hunter he should be, strode Simin Megitus. He joined his fellow teammates, Lycan Arcadia, and Ragora Cinarum, as they walked up to the two first-year teams. Weiss sucked in a dramatic breath, her eyes filled with stars.

"You all alright?" Simin asked.

"Sure are," Yang said, "I see that was a breeze for you, huh?"

"YANG!" Weiss growled, as the boxer laughed. She looked back to Team SLVR, and bowed.

"I'm sorry. Please, ignore her, we all do," Weiss implored.

"We don't!" Nora laughed.

"That's fine. Miss Goodwitch is gathering up the rest of the students as we pulled out," Simin went on, professional and polite, even as Ragora and Lycan snickered a bit at their interplay, "You have injured?"

"Yeah," Ruby said with a nod, "I got shot by a sniper. I was lucky they hit my scope, but..."

"A sniper?" Lycan asked, frowning hard.

"Yeah, they got my-?" Ruby looked around, in sudden distress. "Where-?"

"Here, I got it for you," Jaune said, pulling out the folded-up Crescent Rose and handing it to her. Even as weak as she was, Ruby squealed and held her weapon to her chest.

"Oh baby, you're safe! You're alive! Thank you Jaune, so much!"

"Can you remember where you saw the sniper?" Simin asked. Ruby nodded.

"I-I can, I can! Right across the Lazy River, about one thousand yards southeast of where I was shooting from! If you escort us, I can-!"

"She's injured, she's not going back there," Jaune said firmly. Ruby scowled at him.

"But I-!"

"You're not going back there," Yang stated. Ruby looked for any allies, but her teammates and friends all seemed to be in agreement. She huffed.

"I've been there," Blake said quickly, "Everyone else who has is suffering from Aura exhaustion or injury."

Jaune shot her a grateful look. She didn't seem to notice.

Well, it had been a long day for everyone, Jaune supposed.

Simin nodded.

"All right." He tapped his scroll. "Vella, you and Ragora maintain overwatch for RWBY and JNPR. They'll be bringing in wounded... And any sap they can carry."

"WOOHOO!" Nora cheered. "Hear that, Renny! We get to take some home!"

"Hooray," he deadpanned.

"All right. Lycan, myself and Miss...?" Simin glanced at Blake.

"Blake Belladonna," she said. Lycan's eyebrows went up at that, but he said nothing.

Simin nodded.

"Belladonna. We'll check it out. Rest of you, get moving."

"Yes sir," Jaune said, with a jaunty salute, "C'mon guys."

- - -

Blake led the two upperclassmen through the woods, leaping from tree to tree. Both kept up easily, hopping through the trees above the Grimm, and she felt both of their eyes studying her intently when they weren't scanning for Grimm.

They moved fast and soon arrived at the scene, Blake pointing out the tree with scope fragments under it. Lycan sniffed significantly and examined a patch of ground with his keen eyes.

"I can smell the leftover dust," Lycan reported, "High-grade stuff. It's a weird mix of a lot of elements. Anything familiar to you, Boss?"

Simin knelt on the ground, all business. A Grimm snarled nearby, but Lycan summoned up a Smoke clone he infused with Lightning and sent if off as a suicide bomber. The Beowulf went up, but the flash of power didn't even disturb the leader of Team SLVR as he sifted the remaining Dust in his hands. He examined it closely and licked it.

"Yeah... The mix is designed for quick ignition, lots of light and noise," he deduced. "Perfect for stirring up Grimm."

Blake's blood went ice cold.

"You mean... This stampede-?"

"It would have taken time to get the Grimm concentrated here and ready," Lycan pointed out, shaking his head, as Simin held up his Scroll and began to record everything he could, "Lot of wrangling, requiring a lot of hardware or people with Huntsman training."

"So they planned this out," Simin said, almost detached, as though trying to solve a puzzle. Lycan nodded grimly.

"Yup."

Blake shivered. Someone deliberately putting up this many Grimm against barely trained teenagers...?

Simin's frown deepened. He looked up to the tops of the trees, back down to the ground, and appeared to do some mental calculations.

"That way," he pointed, and they headed off again. He summoned a boost of Wind Dust from his jacket, letting him jump off the air itself across the river with ease.

"Show off," Lycan muttered, chasing after him with Blake on foot. They easily evaded any of the remaining Grimm, before ending up on the other side of the Lazy River. Simin turned to Lycan.

"Got anything you two?"

"Me?" Blake asked quietly. Simin gave her a wry look.

"The bow isn't a very good disguise for your ears, Miss Belladonna."

"Scent also gave it away," Lycan snorted. "You wanna hide who you are, that's fine. The name's a little on the nose though." He grinned cockily. "Lotta Belladonnas, but they're all in Menagerie."

"I... Well..." Blake tried.

Blake was finding that her usual excuses weren't holding up. Honestly, she thought that Huntsmen-in-Training would be less observant, but...

"Whatever," Lycan snorted, sniffing around, "You do you, Kitty Kat. I ain't gonna..."

Lycan froze, and Blake caught the scent too.

"Blood," he said, "Faunus blood. Lot of it. That way."

Lycan ran into the trees, Simin activating a Fire Dust sword and following with Blake alongside. They ran for about ten seconds before Lycan came to a stop at a tree. He grimaced.

"It's not pretty, Boss," he pronounced. Simin and Blake walked around the tree. Blake hid her mouth with her hand, as Simin studied the mangled corpse with a mortician's detachment.

"Fell out of the tree," he pronounced, looking up and down the trunk, "Right into the Grimm's path."

Simin grimaced slightly before he knelt to examine the damaged sniper rifle lying near the body.

"Scope's blown out on this one... Miss Rose is a very good shot," he observed.

"Worse news, Boss," Lycan said, as he scavenged around in the dirt away from the tree. He held up a mask, and a pit opened up in the bottom of Blake's stomach.

No... It can't be...

Simin's eyes narrowed.

"White Fang," he spat.

"Fucking murderous scumbags," Lycan snarled.

"Record everything," Simin ordered, "We'll bring back what we can. Thanks Miss Belladonna. Just wait, and we'll all get back to the Bullheads soon."

"Sure," Blake mumbled, staring at the mask as though it was taunting her. Outwardly, she kept herself as calm and collected as usual. On the inside...

Adam... What have you done...?

- - -

"Hey Ruby. How are you feeling?"

Ruby flushed as she saw Jaune walk up to her in the Beacon infirmary. He was still in his armor and cloak, looking like a warrior out of some comic book after fighting through an army.

Which, well... They'd pretty much done this entire day. The moon was already out! So much for a quiet field trip.

"Me? A lot better. Nurse Tsune says I'll be out tomorrow, everything's healing great."

Thanks to you, she thought. She recognized the bandages as the same he kept in his bags. It wasn't hard to figure out what he'd done… Done for her.

She fixed her silver eyes on Jaune.

"Are you feeling okay?"

"Yeah," Jaune shrugged, "Just… Aura exhaustion."

Ruby scowled at him.

"That's dangerous."

"You don't have room to talk," he said, and she blushed harder.

"I guess… Where's your team?"

"They're doing okay, just got out of the infirmary," he said. "They're in our dorm by now, I hope."

Ruby held up her arms expectantly. He sighed, and walked over. He pulled up a chair, sat down, and pulled her into a hug.

She breathed in his scent, her eyes tightly shut, as she listened to his heartbeat.

"That… I… Today sucked," she managed.

"Yeah, yeah, it did," Jaune said, stroking her back soothingly.

"... I was so… So scared," Ruby muttered. "I-I almost… I was stupid, and…" She growled.

"I've killed Grimm before, and… And I just fainted…!"

Jaune nodded.

"The worst part was… Was the fear," Ruby mumbled. "I felt so… So helpless…"

"I know," he said. "I hate it, too."

"... I thought I was fearless," Ruby mumbled.

"You're not. No one ever is," Jaune said comfortingly. "Me? I was terrified when I saw you lying there."

"They taught us emotional control exercises at Signal. I used them, I really did… But when I was hurt, and tired, I-I just… I couldn't…" Ruby shut her eyes tightly.

"Does-Does that mean I'm not cut out for this? Does it mean I shouldn't be here? I ran out ahead of everyone on my own, and I got shot, and I almost…"

If it was for… Whatever that was… What was it? A dream? Ruby wondered, thinking back to that flash from her eyes.

Jaune grunted.

"You're not weak, Ruby. You kept trying throughout it, even as injured as you were. All right? You're not weak."

"I felt so weak-"

"Well you're not," Jaune stated firmly. "You were poisoned, had almost no aura, a broken wrist, a broken ankle, and you still kept trying to fight. That takes strength. It doesn't matter if you were scared, you didn't let it distract you."

"How did you deal with it?" Ruby asked softly.

Jaune smiled softly.

"Simple… If I failed? You would die… And I wasn't going to let that happen. No matter what. Just like the rest of us."

"That simple?"

"That simple," Jaune said with a nod. He sighed. "I used to overthink everything in a fight. That… That almost got me killed a few times. Until I realized, I couldn't deal with any of that crap if I died. So… I had to just focus on what mattered. In this case? You mattered more than anything else."

Ruby blushed deeply, and hid her face in his chest.

"S-Still… You could have died," she murmured.

"As long as you were alive, I was okay with that-!"

Ruby looked up into his eyes, shocked and angry.

"Well I wouldn't have been!" She cried angrily. She glared up at him. "S-So, you're not allowed to die, got it? Co-Team Leader's orders!"

Jaune shut his eyes tightly.

"Ruby… When it comes down to it… I'm the most expendable person around-"

"NO YOU'RE NOT!"

They got a look from Nurse Tsune over at her desk, but Ruby fought through her blush. She stared down at his chest, sniffling a bit.

"You're not," she growled, "You're not. Don't you ever say that again! I… I'll break all your bones if you ever say anything like that again! I promise!"

"I…" He looked genuinely shocked. Ruby wet her lips.

"It sucked when Mom died, all right? I-I can barely remember her, but every time I see a picture, hear her name… It hurts. I barely knew her and-and it still hurts. I don't want to feel that way losing you, Jaune! I don't!"

"... I know," he murmured, hugging her. "I know… I'm sorry. I just…"

His eyes looked away. Ruby wondered what he was seeing. His father's death, maybe?

"... I can't stand the thought of losing you. Any of you," he muttered. "I barely know you but I can't… I can't go through that again. I care too much."

"Then don't you ever think of making us go through it," Ruby insisted, still crying, "Please Jaune? Please?"

He swallowed nothing. He patted her on the back.

"... I promise."

"Thank you," Ruby murmured, still sniffling. Jaune got her a tissue. She took it from him, and wiped her own face.

"I can handle it," she said, "I-I'm not a kid. I'm not your little sister."

"I know," Jaune said softly, "I just want to do it for you. Because It's you."

Ruby turned bright as the tips of her hair.

"Geez Crybaby, already making my little sister cry?"

They both looked up to see Yang walking in, her smile bright and confident even if her eyes were concerned. Weiss entered after, quiet, with a few gifts in her arms.

"Yay! Most of my team finally came to visit me!" Ruby cheered, pulling away from Jaune quickly. Yang took his place and hugged her little sister tightly.

"Sorry… Lots of official paperwork crap," Yang admitted, kissing Ruby on the top of her head, "No more running off on your own, okay? We're a team, right?"

"Right. And I promise," Ruby said.

"She means we had to go through a lot of debriefings," Weiss sighed, setting the gifts down by Ruby's bedside. "I brought you cookies."

"YAY!"

Weiss looked over at Jaune, and cleared her throat. She shot a glare at Yang, who smiled and winked.

"Ah… Arc. I just… While you're here, and all… I just wanted to say I'm sorry. I've been a bit… Well… Rude, and a talk with Pyrrha helped me see I was being unfair. So…"

She held out her hand to him.

"I hope you can forgive me."

Jaune stared at her hand. He reached up his, and shook it slowly.

"Sure. I get it. Kind of. Family stuff?"

Weiss nodded slowly, clearly holding back some irritation at how blunt he was. Ruby rather liked that part about Jaune. Most of the time.

"Yes… In a sense. You?"

"Different, but… Kind of, yeah," Jaune admitted. "And for what it's worth… I am kind of a jerk. So, I'm sorry too."

"I… I guess I don't mind honest dislike," Weiss said, "Better than you simpering after me for my favor."

"So if I really wanted to rile you up, I just have to hit on you?" Jaune asked with a little grin. Weiss scowled at him, though Ruby couldn't help a grin despite her anger.

He's feeling better! If he can tease Weissy, he's feeling better!

"Don't you dare, Jaune!" Ruby growled.

"What? She's cute when she's mad!" Jaune insisted. Weiss's face turned red, and she glared cold death at his smirking face.

"I really hate you, Arc. I want that to be clear, got it?"

"Well I don't actually hate you, Ice Princess. That better, or worse?"

"Ugh!" Weiss groaned, glaring at Ruby and Yang, "How do you stand him?!"

"Helps that he's easy on the eyes," Yang giggled. She looked over at Jaune awkwardly. "So uh… I mean…"

She glanced at Ruby, who nodded with a big smile. She looked back at Jaune.

"What is it, Yang?" Jaune asked.

Come on, Yang, come on, please… Ruby thought, You're so confident! This should be nothing!

"You… Uh… You saved my sister, and I feel like I should do something-"

"We all saved her," Jaune said, "You and Pyrrha dragged me along when I became luggage. You don't owe me anything, okay?"

He smiled at her.

"You guys being alive and well is all I want. Really."

It was completely sincere, but with how he was speaking to her earlier… Ruby bit her lower lip in worry.

If Yang noticed this, she didn't say anything. She just blushed.

"Geez Jaune, you get replaced by aliens or something? You're acting so smooth. Even Weiss might start to melt for you despite her tsundere ways."

"I'm not tsundere," Weiss growled, as she opened another package of cookies for Ruby to eat.

"Eh, life or death situations make teenage drama seem like nothing in comparison," Jaune said, shrugging. "I mean… It's fucked up but it kind of helps to put things in perspective?"

"Yeah, yeah, it kind of does," Yang said, looking almost shy, "'Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die' kind of thing?"

"Nobody is dying," Ruby stated firmly, "That's Rule One. Period."

A dark cloud settled over the room. Yang broke it with some laughter.

"Relax Ruby. We're not going out with a Yang any time soon," she joked, even as Weiss groaned softly, "Though Jauney-boy might be going out with one."

Jaune blinked, looking up at her in confusion.

"I… Wait, what?"

Yang flushed deeply. She cleared her throat. Ruby shot her pleading eyes.

"I'm uh… I'm asking you out," she said. "Ya know. On a date. With me. Some time."

Jaune blinked a few times. Yang coughed, and laughed nervously.

"That uh… Don't leave me Yang-ing, Jaune?"

"I-uh-N-No, I mean, sure?" Jaune managed. "If you want to? When?"

"Uh… Well, we're confined to Beacon for the next two weeks so… Some time after that?" Yang asked with a smile. Jaune slowly nodded.

"Sure."

"Hello Ruby!"

Ruby jumped. Pyrrha had entered, her smile wide and scary looking as she entered. She carried some flowers she was holding too tightly. A few bedpans began to bend while surrounded in Black Aura energy.

"I'm so glad you're okay, I was worried about you for a little while," Pyrrha laughed, her eyes slowly locking onto Yang with an intensity that made her flinch. They were hollow, filled with nothing but death.

"Hello Yang. It's been a bit since we talked, huh? And fought together. To save everyone. Including Jaune, my partner, whom you just asked out-"

Jaune sighed, stood up, and bonked Pyrrha on the head.

"OW! Jaune-!" Pyrrha moaned.

"Pyrrha, relax," Jaune said gently, "All right? Friends. Friends."

"I uh…" Pyrrha nodded. "Y-Yes. Friends."

She looked shyly over at Ruby.

"I'm very glad you're alright, Ruby."

"Thank you, Pyrrha," Ruby managed.

"And uh…" She looked at Yang, wincing a bit, "If-If you're going out with Jaune, I'm totally… Totally fine with it-"

"We're going out to have fun, we're not getting married," Jaune sighed. "Yang's a lot more fun than I am. It would be nice to just get out and have fun. For all of us."

He shook his head.

"In two weeks."

"R-Right, two weeks, of course," Pyrrha said quickly. Yang winced.

"I'm uh, kind of, sort of, really-"

"No, no, you didn't do anything wrong," Jaune said, smiling warmly at Yang, "Thank you. I'm looking forward to going out with you and having fun. Because we're friends, and that's what friends do, right?"

Yang nodded, her eyes shining.

"Yeah… Yeah, it is."

Yay! It's working! Ruby thought happily. But why does my chest hurt over this…? Shouldn't I be happy…?

Weiss shoved another cookie into her mouth.

"Mmph!"

"That should help," Weiss sighed.

"R-Right," Yang admitted, before speaking up with confidence again, "P-Money, try to dial down the yandere, okay? Your senpai and I are just having some fun."

Pyrrha flushed.

"I-I'm not a yandere-!"

"The scary grin is back, Pyrrha," Jaune sighed.

"I-I'm working on it! Really!" Pyrrha insisted. Jaune hugged her tightly… And she melted into his embrace.

"I know you are, and thank you," Jaune said, "Just… There are better boys to obsess over."

"Don't we know it," Weiss muttered.

Yang and Ruby scowled at Weiss.

Pyrrha opened her mouth, but Jaune coughed and waved his hands.

"Actually no! Don't obsess over boys in general! Just… Let's be chill, okay? Focus on friendship. Making more friends. You've been doing that, right? That's good! You should do more!"

"... R-Right, of course," Pyrrha murmured softly. She did cheer up a little when Jaune hugged her again. He smiled tiredly at everyone else as he broke away from the pouting Pyrrha.

"What, no hug for me?" Yang asked. "Don't leave me out in the cold, Jaune!"

"Of course," Jaune said, giving her a tight hug. One Yang returned eagerly… Maybe a little too eagerly, to Ruby's eyes. Definitely to Pyrrha's, though the redhead just looked away and muttered to herself.

"Mmm… Top ten hugs, easy," Yang giggled, "For you too, huh Jauney-boy? There are two big pluses?"

"Yes, yes there are," Jaune deadpanned, chuckling a bit as his ears turned red, "Geez, tone it down a little. Been a long day."

"Yeah, it sure has been," Yang sighed.

"Well… Uh… If there aren't any other personal things to get off our chests," he said, ignoring Yang's very mature snicker, "I will see you ladies in the morning."

"Bye Jaune!" Ruby said happily, waving cheerfully.

"Good night," Weiss stated calmly but politely.

"Later, Lover Boy," Yang winked. It actually made Jaune flush a bit.

"I'll see you in our room, Jaune," Pyrrha said, still smiling a bit scarily.

"Right, right," Jaune said, as he headed out.

Pyrrha turned and sighed.

"I'm… Really sorry about all that-"

"It's okay," Yang said, waving her hands, "We're all… Well…"

"Hopelessly socially inept, but we can fix that," Weiss deadpanned. She looked at Ruby seriously.

"Ruby? I think we need to increase our training. We can't afford to slack off."

"Hey, we did okay-" Yang argued, but Ruby shook her head.

"No, she's right. We… We got lucky."

If it hadn't been for that… Whatever it was with my eyes… No. Don't think about it. It was just too weird…!

Not until she could talk to someone who might know more.

"Hence, we need to get good enough so we don't have to rely on luck," Weiss said.

She looked at Pyrrha. "Pyrrha?"

"Ah, yes?"

"Would it… Would it be all right if our team could train with you?" Weiss asked. "Especially Ruby?"

"Please?" Ruby asked.

"Er, Ruby," Yang began.

"She's trying to be more normal, right?" Ruby asked. "And make more friends?"

Ruby grinned at Pyrrha.

"Wouldn't… Wouldn't this help you? And help us?"

Pyrrha considered it in silence.

"I… I would like that very much," she admitted. "Sorry for before-"

"Geez, Jaune's right, you do say that too much," Ruby sighed. Pyrrha flushed, but she wore a small, genuine smile.

"I… Yes. Well… I mean, I'll talk to Jaune about it, but I-I'm sure he'll agree. We all work very well together, after all! Um, g-goodnight!"

Pyrrha hurried out, in the same direction that Jaune had gone.

"Great! I'll tell Blake about it when she gets here." Ruby sighed. "Sure hope she shows up soon."

"I'm sure she will," Yang said encouragingly, "She'll just be fashionably… Blake."

"Ugh," Weiss moaned, "That one doesn't even make any sense!"

"Well, with just us three, I can't help being WRY about things!"

"UGGGGGHHH!"

Well, at least she's a lot happier if she's making bad jokes again, Ruby mused, still munching on sweets.

- - -

Jaune took a few steps out of the infirmary, heading down the hallways… Before a black figure grabbed him by the collar. "URK!"

"Jaune. We need to talk," Blake Belladonna stated, yellow eyes practically glowing.

"... Kay?"

She forced him to walk ahead of her. Rather than feeling threatened, Jaune was more confused.

"Can I get a-?"

"Move."

Jaune was too tired for this kind of shit. Really. But he was also too tired to protest against it.

Thus, he let Blake push him along to one of the empty floors of the Academy-Hard to avoid when it was so big and so many students quit.

She opened a door to an unused room, and gestured him inside. Her eyes were watchful, harsh… As though he'd do something to her?

Jaune entered, sighing heavily. He walked into the room, devoid of anything but some generic furniture being stored away, all illuminated by the moonlight coming through the windows. Blake shut the door behind them, and turned, her yellow eyes glowing in the dim light.

"Blake, can you please tell me what the hell is-?"

"Golden Lion's Roar," she stated.

Jaune's mouth went dry, as Blake glared at him. He slowly nodded, and swallowed.

"Y-Yeah… That's what I did-"

"It's a singular move. An invention of a Faunus Huntsman turned mercenary and outlaw," Black continued, in that firm, angry tone. "He only taught it to a few students over the course of his life. All Faunus. He was a Faunus I know personally…"

"Ser Gato Zapatos," Jaune whispered.

Blake held up her scroll. An article from the Valean Herald was displayed.

'INFAMOUS GATO ZAPATOS FOUND DEAD NEAR EDGE VILLAGE'

In the center of the article was a large picture of the cliff… The cliff…

In the middle of a pile of Grimm remains, there stood a freshly dug grave. Plunged into the head of this grave was a familiar sword. Atop it, caught mid waving in the breeze, was an equally familiar cape and feathered hat.

"Edge is between Radian and Vale," Blake whispered, "You said you traveled there… You…"

Blake's voice was lost in the rushing sound that flooded his ears. It was the sound of the river below. There were snarls and growls of Grimm all around him. He could almost see their glowing red eyes.

There was Gato… Smiling that same sad smile…

"Live your life, Juan Arc. Live it well... And when you meet him? Greet Death with a smile. I will put in a good word for you…"

"GATOOOOOO!"

"RAAARRRGGHHH!"

Jaune grabbed the Scroll out of the still speaking Blake's hands, and swung his fist with it into a table. It split in two, his Aura having recovered just enough. Jaune swung his fists into a chair, sending it flying. He heard it smash but didn't care. He grabbed another table and swung it into the wall, watching it break and fall to the floor.

Another table. Another piece of furniture. He smashed through it all as the moon kept glowing on, and on, just like that night-!

"Live your life, Juan Arc. Live it well…"

"Live your life, Juan Arc…"

"Juan…"

"JAUNE! JAUNE!"

He had lifted another table right up over his head when he felt strong arms wrap around his chest from behind. He looked back wildly… Only saw wide, yellow eyes filled with shock and fear.

He trembled… He dropped the table with a crash. He went with it soon after, collapsing to the carpeted floor. He raised his fist and slammed it into the floor, over and over again, cracking his bones or the wood underneath-He didn't care.

Jaune's body came back to him in an instant-His lungs burned as he panted hard for breath, his feet and fists hurt, his heart pounded. His throat was raw from screaming.

Blake… Shifted around, on her knees with him. She kept her arms wrapped tightly around him, her eyes boring into his. He looked down at the carpet. He slowly lifted a hand to stare at its bloody surface.

"Jaune…" Blake whispered softly, "Jaune…? Can you hear me? Are… Are you all right?"

"... It should have been me," he hissed between harsh breaths.

"Wha-?"

"It should have fucking been me," Jaune husked out his ragged throat. Hot tears poked out of the corners of his eyes. He thought he was done crying, but…

"What… What do you mean…?" Blake asked, soft and concerned. It was so different from her usual tones, he barely recognized her.

Jaune didn't look up once as he told the story. About how stupid he'd been. About how he'd been trapped with Gato, and had to fight for his life. How Gato had trained him, taught him that technique, and they'd escaped… Except…

"It should have been me," Jaune whispered, "I should have died… He sacrificed himself to save me, and I… Why? He had a family… He could have gotten away… Why… Why me…?"

"Jaune," Blake said softly. She reached up and tilted his face towards hers. He tried to look away, but her stubborn strength held him trapped by her gaze.

"Jaune.. I-I'm sorry. I was… I knew him. To find out he was dead, and you could wield his technique, I…" She shut her eyes tightly. "I'm sorry… I was angry. I… I thought…"

She shook her head, and then reopened her eyes.

"I knew him. He was a close friend of my father's. I grew up with him around-I-I called him Uncle Gato. I know that he would do anything to save another person's life. Even at the cost of his own. That's the kind of Faunus he is… Was. He… He was a hero. He saved you because he cared about you, and it was the right thing to do. If he hadn't, you would both be dead. You talked to Ruby about this… How do you think we would feel if that happened to you? Or your family? You… You're not expendable."

Jaune sniffled, as Blake stared into his eyes. She worried her lip before she continued.

"I know what it's like to live with grief, and guilt. You're always thinking… Thinking you could have done something more. The what ifs. In my case…"

She looked like she was about to continue, before she shook her head.

"It doesn't matter… But in your case… There was nothing you could have done. And Uncle Gato wouldn't want you to be like this. If he put effort into training you, he clearly thought you were worth any sacrifice… Even sacrificing himself. It's not your fault."

Jaune stared at her, a few tears still slipping down his cheeks. He took a shuddering breath.

"I… You mean that?"

"I do," Blake insisted. "I wouldn't lie about this. I promise."

Jaune stared at his hands instead of looking into her eyes. Blake sighed.

"Let me… Let me fix up your hands," she said softly.

She helped him get his gloves and gauntlets off, and, using supplies from his bag, dressed the bruises and cuts on his fingers and palms. With his Aura so low, the wounds were fairly noticeable, but would heal quickly.

"Thank you," he murmured. Blake gave him a hug, and helped him stand up slowly.

"You're welcome," she whispered back. Jaune shook his head.

"I… I'm going to bed," he said, "And you… You should see Ruby. Now."

He gave her an intense stare, the last of his emotional energy.

Blake slowly nodded.

"I will."

"Good."

- - -

Jaune turned and walked out of the room, leaving Blake to stand there in silence. Her bow twitched as she heard someone familiar moving with lightning speed, away. She frowned.

She shook her head free of such distractions.

She let out a long, slow breath. Things had gotten so complicated, so quickly.

This was supposed to be a clean slate, a fresh start… But her past just kept catching up with her.

The White Fang… What are you thinking, Adam?

She closed her eyes. She could see nothing but Ruby, unconscious, underneath that tree as Grimm advanced on her…

What kind of truth are you seeking?

The truth was… She couldn't do anything about the White Fang right now. But there was something she could do.

Blake opened her eyes back up. She turned and headed out the door.

She had a team leader to check up on.

- - -

Jaune made it up to the JNPR dorm. He walked in as quietly as he could, and yanked off his armor and clothes. He was pretty sweaty and gross, but sleep took precedence.

He was down to boxers and T-shirt as he staggered past the sleeping Ren and Nora-cuddled up together, as per their usual. He got to his bed… Where Pyrrha was waiting.

She was in her pajamas, her hair down, and utterly disheveled. As though she'd just recently changed, but Jaune couldn't spare any thought to that.

"Jaune," Pyrrha asked softly, "Can I cuddle with you tonight, please?"

"... Sure," Jaune managed, as he sat down onto the bed. "Just… Shut the blinds. No moonlight, please."

Pyrrha nodded, and scooted over to let him lie down next to her. "Of course, Jaune."

The blinds shut on their own. Guess there was some metal in there for Pyrrha to use. She cuddled up to him, as he pulled up the blanket over them both.

"Sweet dreams, Jaune," she murmured.

"Thanks Pyrrha," he mumbled.

He closed his eyes, and went to sleep.

- - -

Five to one odds it's a gaddamn false flag operation. No way THE White Fail have such a well trained operative that can shoot the fucking scope of a sniper rifle from so far away yet COINSIDENTALLY get got like a bitch in such an obvious spot.. No way they have such an actually well trained operative PERIOD, considering their usual MO is human wave terror tactics.

Also who and why are those supa kewl OCs? Or are they canon somewhere?

Eighteen: Forever Fall Coda
- - -

Cardin had taken Velvet up to the Bullhead, held her the whole way back to Beacon, carried her down and deposited her (gently) in the Infirmary. He'd nodded to her and headed out as Nurse Tsune went to work. She'd thanked him happily, and he'd just waved back to her as he left.

His team had been strangely quiet after that. They hadn't mentioned a thing about their day. Maybe it was just because they were all pretty tired.

Yeah. That might be the case. But Cardin's dad was a politician, so something didn't feel right.

Still... It wasn't that fact that kept him staring up at the ceiling that night.

Why had he given her a chance? Why had he just... Gotten along with her?

Maybe she's just a cute girl? His subconscious provided, but Cardin snorted.

His dad still got cold and distant when the anniversary of the Faunus Revolt passed. His gaze would turn to the portraits of Cardin's uncles on the wall in the living room: His father's brothers, who had been killed in the war.

His mother couldn't take a trip near Fort Castle, or the old town of Rifle Butte. Fort Castle had been sacked by the Faunus forces, not a human left alive. Rifle Butte had been the Duvalier Clan's second home away from Vale, his mother's family, where so many of her family had resided...

Until the Faunus forces massacred them, too.

Thirty years... Thirty years wasn't long enough for their hurt to go away.

Didn't help that White Fang kept targeting their businesses. That Faunus children had called him the grandson of a murderer. Absolom Winchester had fought the Faunus, and later fought the White Fang. His medals and decorations for his bravery were still visible in the family mansion, in his dad's sitting room.

He'd been killed by a White Fang terrorist when Cardin was only seven. How... How could he even be thinking of doing anything with a faunus girl?

She didn't do any of those things,
his subconscious reminded him.

No... But with White Fang out in force again, killing and causing mayhem... What if... What if she had to choose sides?

He tried to imagine himself in her place. Would he really side against his family if it came down to a war? Could he?

Could anyone?

- - -

He got up late. He hated it when he did that. It felt like a betrayal of his team: If he was the leader, he should get up first and set the example.

He grabbed a shower and dressed in his uniform, even though it was the weekend. Stifling a yawn, he headed downstairs, intent on the cafeteria. The food wasn't great on the weekend, but it was better than nothing.

He caught sight of his team waiting on the quad outside the cafeteria building. He shot them a glare as he approached. Dove leaned against a tree, trying to look casual (and failing). Sky and Russel were discussing something in low tones with a Scroll between them.

"The hell are you guys standing around for?" Cardin asked angrily. All three looked up at Cardin, unsteadily.

"Oh, well..." Russel listened to his scroll, and nodded. "Ya know. Just for you!"

"Yeah," Sky said with a nod, "Just for you. We can go eat now!"

Cardin narrowed his eyes.

"Okay... Why are you acting so weird?"

"Maybe you're being weird," Dove stated.

"Oh yeah? I'm the one standing around outside and not having breakfast?" Cardin growled. He shook his head, and stormed towards the doors. Dove smoothly got in front of him, waving his hands.

"Woah woah woah! Wait a second, Cap! We were just waiting for you! We'll all go in together, you leading..." He glanced over at Sky and Russel. "Nnnnow!"

Cardin scowled, and pushed Dove aside. He resumed his march for the cafeteria doors.

"Finally! I'm starving, let's-"

The doors flew open... And a familiar rabbit Faunus girl ran into him.

"OOF!"

"EEP!"

Funny enough, he went down with her on top of him. His arms had intinctively gone around her waist to hold her steady. She looked up slowly from where her face was buried in his chest and her body was pressed against him and holy shit she was so soft and warm and a girl what the-?!

"Oh, uh, um, I-I'm really sorry!" Velvet said quickly. "I-I didn't mean to-!"

"Aw, Velvet, you had to go and knock your boytoy over?" Coco Videl asked, grinning as she walked out of the cafeteria with her other teammates, "You gotta watch where you're going! Good thing he was there to catch you!"

"Y-Yeah, good thing," Velvet murmured shyly. She looked up at him... Blushed... And turned away. "Uh, um..."

Shit that's cute...

Cardin scowled and stood up. He lifted Velvet up just long enough to set her back down, and she squeaked as he did so.

"It's fine," he grunted, "Watch where you're going next time-"

"I-I will, sorry-!"

"You-You'd better be!"

Shit, his face was red. He could feel his team snickering behind their back.

"So! Since you two are... Close," Coco said with a smile, as Fox and Yatsuhashi shared a dubious glance behind her, "We'll let you two have some time to yourselves!"

"I'm getting breakfast-" Cardin protested, but Coco gasped loudly.

"Oh no! Cafeteria just shut down breakfast. Too late. Ah well. But! There's this great little cafe in Vale," Coco said with a grin.

"Oh yeah, that's the best!" Sky said with a nod.

"I know the one!" Russel grinned.

Dove rolled his eyes and shared a commiserating look with Fox and Yatsuhashi.

"So! You two go on! Your last date got interrupted, after all," Coco said.

"It wasn't a date, it was just lunch," Cardin growled. "So seriously, I don't know what you're doing, but-"

Velvet held his hand, and gave him a pleading look. Her hand was warm. Her eyes were wide.

"... Fine," Cardin growled. He pointed at Velvet. "But you're paying, since you knocked me down!"

"S-Sure!" Velvet said, smiling widely through her blush. Cardin turned and stormed off, Velvet moving quickly to keep up with his longer stride.

"I know a different diner, it's somewhere Coco would never eat, let's go there," Velvet muttered.

"Why?"

"Because Coco's got it into her head she has to watch over me all the time and I'm sick of it!" Velvet hissed. She then caught herself and blushed deeply.

"I-I'm sorry... I think she also roped your team into this, too..."

"Yeah, I noticed," Cardin grumbled.

"I'm... I'm really sorry..."

The look on her face... Shit... Was there a tear there?

"Don't cry," he said quickly, reaching out to wipe it off, "Or she'll kick my ass. Why are you crying, anyway?"

"I-I'm... I mean..." Velvet sighed. "You... You saved me and you could have gotten hurt and now Coco's causing you and your team trouble and I... I didn't want any of that... Not for you."

She looked up into his eyes... Her eyes...

He sighed heavily. He closed his eyes.

He didn't see his uncle's portraits. He didn't see his mother's silent grief. He didn't see his father's scowl.

He opened them again... And just saw Velvet.

Just... A girl.

"... I'm hungry anyway... A diner sounds nice," Cardin mumbled, "And... And you don't have to pay. I'll get it. It... It's not your fault."

Velvet lit up... And his heart skipped a beat. She eagerly took his hand and now she was leading him.

"Oh, you're gonna love it! I'm working on some recipes from there, too, the owner's a friend of mine, I know you'll love it...!"

He was not blushing. He was not smiling. He was... He was just going to get some breakfast with a nice, cute girl. A nice cute girl who happened to be a Faunus, in order to escape her insane team leader who had clearly brainwashed his teammates into helping her sick, twisted plan.

More than likely, Arc was involved somehow.

That's all it was... Really.

- - -

Adam Taurus had no particular attachment anywhere. The very concept of a home had lost all meaning in the SDC Dust Mining Camps.

The humans had seen to that.

He was a nomad, his only purpose to keep moving towards the future. A future free of pain, free of sin.

Free of mankind.

He sat in his office in the latest White Fang hideout in Atlas, loyal Illya at his side, as a holoscreen communication appeared over his desk. A lone operative stood there in a similarly nondescript location.

"Report," Adam ordered.

"The Geist Grimm you got from that woman worked," the operative reported, "The Grimm were controllable, to a point. We shepherded them to the target point, and drove them with the rifles."

"And?"

The operative sagged.

"We lost five operatives. I'm the only one who escaped. The Geist... It didn't make us immune to the Grimm ourselves."

"Casualties for the enemy?"

The operative paused.

"We may have wounded a few... But no fatalities," the operative reported, bowing his head. "Apologies."

Adam shook his head slowly.

"Martyrs to the cause," Adam said gravely, "Do not lose sight of our goals. Record their names and send them to me. I will inform their families."

"Yes sir. There was... One other thing. I read your messages, concerning a certain person of interest?"

Adam leaned forward.

"Oh?"

An image appeared on the screen. It was blurry, and hard to make out... But Adam tensed all the same as he identified a young man in a green cloak, white armor, wielding a familiar sword and shield.

"The Raggedy Knight is what they're calling him," the operative said, "He appears to be attending Beacon."

"I see," Adam murmured. He nodded. "Good work. Obtain more information on this Raggedy Knight, and submit it to me at the next check in."

"Yes sir," the operative said, giving the White Fang salute before he vanished. Illya frowned deeply as Adam rested his chin on his hands in contemplation.

"The plan was a long shot," Illya admitted, "They were badly organized. Even with that Fire Bitch's help-"

"I know," Adam sighed, "I know. Even a few dead students would have been useful."

"So we don't claim responsibility?"

"No, that would make us look like a laughingstock," Adam mused, "Victories are what we need, not defeats. This though..."

He reviewed the picture the operative had sent on his own Scroll.

"This could be very useful... Send to the cell and Torchwick: A bounty on the Raggedy Knight. Fifty thousand lien for his head."

"That much?" Illya asked, worried. Adam nodded.

"This is twice now at least he has interfered in our operations... There won't be a third."

"Yes sir," Ilya said. She paused for a moment. "There's been news about Zapatos. If you were interested?"

Adam was silent.

"He was found dead near Edge, in Vale," Ilya spoke quietly.

Adam remained motionless. Very slowly, he nodded.

"I see... How?"

"Underground deathmatches. He tried to escape... But was overcome by Grimm," Illya said.

Adam stared out into nothing.

"I see," He murmured.

"Sir?"

"... He went out as he lived... A fool to the end," Adam stated coldly. "Go. I have work to do."

"Yes sir," Illya said with a quick nod, leaving as fast as she could without appearing to flee.

No matter his words, the aura that Adam projected said far more than his mouth ever would on the subject.

- - -

And that's it for Forever Fall, or the "Jaundice" so-called 'arc' of RWBY for White Knight Errant. Next time? Roman Torchwick returns, and Yang and Jaune try to have their first date!

Team SLVR Information
Five to one odds it's a gaddamn false flag operation. No way THE White Fail have such a well trained operative that can shoot the fucking scope of a sniper rifle from so far away yet COINSIDENTALLY get got like a bitch in such an obvious spot.. No way they have such an actually well trained operative PERIOD, considering their usual MO is human wave terror tactics.

Also who and why are those supa kewl OCs? Or are they canon somewhere?

maxresdefault.jpg

be6934c307c9ac70ea0df8480b8db050461be15bd3dcd0f53b6770e578e954b3.png

[/URL]

[/URL]

In order: Simin Megister, Lycan Arcadia, Vella Moisia, and Ragora Cinarum.

In this universe, they're teacher-aides and essentially teaching assistants at Beacon. They are all fourth-year students, seniors, in their final year at Beacon who work as teachers to graduate. They will probably do this teaching assistant job part-time even after graduation. They are highly regarded as the finest team of young hunters in Vale.

They are not in on Ozpin's Group or Salem, but do some missions for Ozpin in service of countering Salem.

They are very close to Glynda Goodwitch, who is pushing them as a replacement, in a sense, of Summer, Taiyang, Qrow and Raven's team, STRQ ("Stark").

Last edited:
"This could be very useful... Send to the cell and Torchwick: A bounty on the Raggedy Knight. Fifty thousand lien for his head."

"That much?" Illya asked, worried. Adam nodded.

Roman Torchwick returns, and Yang and Jaune try to have their first date!

I'm sure their date won't get interrupted...

Thanks for the chapter!

Yup. Ren can use Aura to enhance his martial arts, but such techniques need to touch a target to deliver Aura into it to be effective.

Did Ren ever use them more than during Initiation in Season 1? I kind of feel like they just disappeared after that....

Nineteen: "Black and White" Arc Begin
- - -

Three weeks later...

- - -

Weiss came into the common room, yawning a bit as she stretched. She'd indulged herself a bit, sleeping in late at the start of the weekend, but had been drawn out thanks to the smell of breakfast cooking. She opened her eyes and scanned around.

Her teammates were eating at the table with most of JNPR, all still in their pajamas. She could see a familiar mess of blond hair working at the stove in the kitchenette, obscured by cabinets above and the range below. Jaune Arc looked her way, and smirked a bit.

"Morning, sleepyhead. If you want breakfast, better hurry! It's going fast!"

"Yes, yes," Weiss yawned, as Jaune stepped out from behind the kitchenette, "I'm sure whatever slop you're cooking is acceptaaaaaHHHHH?!"

Jaune blinked as Weiss reared back like a cat that had been splashed with water.

"What? The apron was the only one I could find at the school shop!" He protested, the too-small apron with Beacon's logo barely covering up his nipples. Indeed, it only seemed to accentuate his bare body.

"ARC ARE YOU NAKED?!"

"What? No!" Jaune scoffed. He turned around. "See? I have some boxers-Also from the store-"

"COVER UP YOU DEGENERATE!" Weiss shrieked, her face bright red. "YOUNG LADIES ARE HERE!"

"We don't mind," Yang said with a happy grin, "Let Jaune wear what he wants! It's a free country!"

"Y-Yeah," Ruby mumbled, her face bright red as she peeked through hands covering up her eyes. "Yang let me see!"

"Not on your life!"

"It-It's perfectly fine with me," Pyrrha managed. She looked over at Jaune's mostly bare physique, and swooned. "H-He's my partner and whatever makes him happy makes me happy... Sooo happy..."

"It's fine," Blake mumbled, red face behind a book.

"It's cool! As long as Jaune doesn't tempt Renny," Nora said cheerfully. She gave Jaune a glare. "You're not trying to steal my Renny, are you Jaune?"

"Wouldn't dream of it, Nora," Jaune said, "We're just friends."

"Indeed," Ren deadpanned.

"Good! All is well!" Nora nodded with a cheerful smile.

Weiss looked up at the ceiling, blushing down her throat.

"Where-Don't you have anything else-?!"

"I literally have three outfits, and they're all in the wash," Jaune said patiently.

"You-Don't you have money now? Can't you buy some clothes?!"

"Well, I haven't had the chance to," Jaune said. He shrugged, and that just made Yang grin more widely.

"Weren't-Weren't you going to take Yang on a date, you-you pervert?!" Weiss demanded, still looking anywhere but directly at Jaune. Jaune snapped his fingers.

"Hey yeah! I was!" He grimaced. "Shit... I don't have anything to wear."

"We can just make that part of the date," Yang said cheerfully, "I want us to match. Wouldn't want to wear... The Jaune outfit, eh?"

Jaune laughed. Of course he did, Weiss thought unhappily. He was enjoying her discomfort, the scoundrel!

Then... She had an idea. An awful idea. A wonderful, awful idea.

"But why stop at one outfit?" Weiss said, sing song. "After all, you only came here with the clothes on your back, Arc."

Jaune blinked.

"Eh?"

"Why, surely the rest of our teams have some suggestions for outfits they'd like you to wear," Weiss said, grinning evilly. "Which we could all make you model, to see if it works well on your... Form. I'm sure your date would appreciate it... As would we all."

Yang blinked... Then grew a similar evil grin as Weiss's.

Ruby perked up, Pyrrha drooled, Nora grinned, and even Blake looked... Intrigued. Ren did nothing save give Jaune a pitying look.

"Er... I wouldn't want you to spend any money on me, Princess," Jaune tried to counter attack, "After all, I'm not a charity case-"

"I'll consider it a public service," Weiss said, chuckling darkly, "To make a mangy, dirty ruffian look even somewhat presentable in public."

Weiss smiled to her sister Huntresses-in-Training.

"What do you say, ladies? Shall Mister Arc serve as our doll for the day?"

"He'd be a doll if he played along," Yang chuckled. Weiss let her have that one.

"I didn't really play with them growing up, but I'd love to learn," Nora grinned.

"Ooh... It kind of sounds... Fun!" Ruby giggled.

"I suppose it might be a bit... Enjoyable," Blake allowed.

"Oh yes, yes, yesss," Pyrrha nodded eagerly.

"It seems we have reached an accord!" Weiss said, turning back to the paling Jaune Arc, "Don't you worry, Arc. We'll make a real man out of you, somehow."

The other women rose and began to advance on him. Jaune gulped, and began to back away slowly with his hands up.

"Ah, er, that-that's great and all, but uh-I have somewhere to be... Getting ready for my date..."

He stole for the door to the JNPR dorms... And one of Weiss' Glyphs blocked him. He tried for the door to the hallway, and Ruby appeared in front of him in a burst of petals. He coughed... And ran for the window.

Some pots and pans flew up and barred his way, courtesy of Pyrrha's Polarity. He turned and smiled as best he could as the Huntresses continued to advance.

"Now... Ladies... Can't we talk this out? Or could someone like Ren please HELP ME?!"

"You're on your own, Jaune," Ren said, sipping his tea, "You have seven sisters, you'll be fine."

"TRAITORRRR!"

- - -

"Seriously bro, I don't get you."

Neptune Vasilias looked over from his suitcase, rummaging around for his haircare products, as his team leader Sun Wukong pulled on some jean shorts, a button up shirt he (of course) left open, and his usual sandals. The other two members of their team, Sage and Scarlet, had already left the hotel room to do whatever. Not that Neptune was going to interfere.

"What's not to get?" Sun asked, laughing, "We only got this hotel room because I agreed to take a job. Someone's gotta be responsible."

"Yeah, because that word somehow applies to you," Neptune snorted, still rummaging. "Shit, where's my hairspray...?"

"I'm plenty responsible!" Sun protested. "I'm taking the job, right? It's a secret mission!"

"Right, that your uncle Sean gave you all the way from Menagerie, and you can't tell us what it is," Neptune sighed.

"What part of 'secret mission' don't you get?"

"Hey, I'm not complaining! Though going to the Beacon dorms from a swanky five star hotel is gonna suck. Why'd he put us up like this?"

Sun rolled his eyes.

"It's the perfect cover. We just look like four guys enjoying ourselves before we transfer into Beacon," Sun emphasized, checking the ammo for his shotgun nunchakus. Neptune rolled his eyes back.

"We are four guys enjoying ourselves before transferring into Beacon," he stated.

"So it's the perfect cover!"

"Still don't know how you made the headmaster excuse us a few weeks before semester's end," Neptune mused, walking into the bathroom to begin his daily beauty routine. Took a lot of effort to look this handsome, after all.

"Menagerie's still a kingdom, even if it is the smallest," Sun retorted, "'Great diplomatic need', 'would greatly appreciate it', blah blah blah, hand over a grant and we're here! Stop complaining!"

"I'm not complaining."

"You totally are, bro!"

"I'm not! I'd just... Ya know... Would love to know what the hell we're here for. I'm not complaining, just curious," Neptune said, adding some product after combing his hair just right. He checked himself over in the mirror three times, then winked.

Satisfied... For now... Neptune emerged from the bathroom and grinned, shooting finger guns at his Faunus friend and leader.

"How do I look?"

"The same douche you were when you walked in," Sun grinned.

"Dick," Neptune scoffed. "Seriously though... If you need backup-"

"Eh, it's fine," Sun said, waving his hand with a smile. "Just keep your Scroll on, all right?"

"Yeah yeah... Still... Can't I at least get a clue?"

Sun opened the hotel glass doors, and headed out onto the balcony. He grinned, and hopped up into a crouch onto the balcony railing. His golden tail waved like a flag.

"I'm finding myself a princess!" He cried, before he jumped off backwards. Neptune rolled his eyes.

"Oh yeah. That helps," he grunted. He checked his Scroll. Scarlet and Sage had messaged him down by the pool. They had pics of ladies in bikinis.

Neptune grinned. Eh, Sun could look after himself. Whatever his weird uncle wanted, he was sure Sun would find it.

He had more important things to worry about.

- - -

Roman didn't often go out with Neo in public. Sure, he would go about to make sure his "clients" were paying up properly. To make an impression on a shopkeeper who wasn't budging. To perform heists. Out in the daytime? When the heat was this high?

No. He was confident, not stupid.

So he'd gone out in disguise. Nothing fancy: A plain, boring suit and tie, his hair colored blond instead of red, a pair of glasses, a fake beard, and voila. No more Roman Torchwick, just a mild mannered looking guy with his black haired daughter at an ice cream shop.

Easy peasy. Being discovered by the cops was, in fact, the least concerning thing to him right now.

"We're fucked, Neo," he sighed without preamble, as Neo dug into a tall sundae, "Royally. I mean, the White Fang's barely giving us any muscle, even after we gave them all those weapons! Ungrateful animals, the lot of them! And You-Know-Who's sending fire up my chimney about it!"

Neo nodded, and made a few hand gestures. Roman snorted.

"No, no, killing some of them wouldn't send the right message."

Neo elaborated further.

"No, you can't kill all of them. That would make the problem worse," He groaned. "And after that Forever Fall stunt of theirs... What were they thinking?! 'Oh, I know! We'll try to murder a bunch of students training to kill Grimm with... Wait for it... LOTS OF GRIMM!'"

Roman moaned, and massaged his temples. Neo shrugged.

"Well maybe it would have worked if this year's crop weren't all freaks," Roman sighed, "But they are! Even Red's still alive and kicking! Which makes sense, as she was barely a match for me."

Neo gave him an extremely deadpan look.

"What? I escaped! That counts as a win! Wasn't a loss!" Roman grumbled.

Neo shrugged again, and signed some more thoughts of hers.

"No, I don't know why they want Beacon," Roman stated, "Sure not for money or normal reasons. Honestly, I think we've fallen in with a bad crowd, Neo. No two ways about it."

Neo looked questioningly at him. He shook his head.

"Well, people like that tend to want things that make business hard for folks like us after... If they don't just plan to kill us themselves. Which, let's be honest... That's likely to happen with Miss Light up My Life."

Neo stroked her chin, looked very serious, and signed again. Roman burst out laughing.

"Hahaha! What? Change sides to Ozpin? Go straight?! That's a hell of a joke, Neo! You're a riot!"

Neo laughed silently... Then went serious again. Roman shook his head.

"Come on, Neo. Ozpin's not that much of a bleeding heart idiot! And neither am I! He wouldn't buy it! Not out of the blue! I'm not even convinced that's the right move and I'm scared as shit!"

Neo ate some more ice cream, licked her spoon, and then waved her arm around in a circle. Roman grumbled.

"What we need is... An inside man who can get to Old Ozzy. Give us some real info. Work as an asset, give us more options... Someone we already know-"

Neo pointed out the window of the ice cream shop. Roman followed her finger.

On the sidewalk across the street, in the middle of... What, five huntresses in training? There walked a familiar, grumpy young man in a ratty green cloak. Leading the pack was a familiar girl in red, who was smiling far too happily. The girls were basically shepherding the unhappy young man forward. Behind them, trailing a bit with a short, stacked redhead in pink, was a black and pink-haired boy in light green. He wore the same expression Roman himself would wear for the young man in the green cloak:

Pity, and some relief he hadn't been chosen by these ravenous girls.

"... Oh, when the stars align," Roman chuckled, as Neo grinned brightly. "Be on your best behavior, Neo. Our little Jauney's about to get a visit from his dear Uncle Alex, and his cousin Mint."

Neo signed something eagerly.

"No! Killing isn't part of 'best behavior'!"

Neo pouted, but nodded as she motioned to the waiter for a to-go box.

- - -

New Arc begin!

Omake: SLVR Lining 1 "Simin Megister"
- - -

One of the most unpleasant surprises Weiss Schnee got when she came to Beacon was Jaune Arc. Not only did they have to share the core curriculum classes together, not only did they have to share a common room, but he had to have her favorite class as well!

"What do you even need Dust class for?" Weiss scoffed, walking ahead of Jaune as they headed to the classroom. Jaune shrugged.

"Well, my mom did figure out how to heal people by pushing her Aura through Medical Dust," Jaune said, "So it stands to reason I should know more about it too."

"A Dust she invented," Weiss growled, "You should know all you need to about it!"

"This was better for my schedule, unfortunately," Jaune retorted, "Otherwise I'd be taking it with Nora!"

"You could have adjusted your schedule so you weren't taking it with me!"

"All right," Jaune sighed, rolling his eyes as he came to a stop, "What's up your ass this time?"

Weiss glared death at him right outside the classroom.

"There's nothing up my-You ruffian! You...!"

She sucked in a deep breath.

"Okay, look... Professor Megister teaches this class part-time, right?"

"Right," Jaune nodded. It was hard not to recall the leader of Team SLVR, their professor, who had saved all their asses with how much Weiss gushed about him... His eyebrows went up. He grinned.

"Ohhh! I get it! You're sweet on him! That's adorable! Little Miss Ice Princess has a crush-"

Weiss jabbed him in the chest.

"Shutupshutupshutup I do not!" Weiss hissed, her cheeks bright red, "Even if I did, I-I would never act upon it! Th-That would be against the regulations, even if he is still a student! He'd be fired, lose his whole career! I-I can't do that to a man as brilliant as Professor Megister!"

Jaune rubbed his chest, glaring.

"Sounds like you could conveniently get him to work for you that way-"

"I would never do that!" Weiss whisper shouted. "But-But it's always a good idea to ingratiate yourself to future talent! When I become CEO, I-I want people of integrity to work for me! Professor Megister has revolutionized the use of Dust, and he's only twenty! He's also a brave, kind man, who could have been hired by my father but prefers to work to teach the next generation and protect the innocent!"

Weiss beamed brightly.

"I want to befriend him so that, one day, I can convince him to work with me to revolutionize the Dust industry and make things better! Better for everyone!"

Jaune stared at her.

"And you also have the hots for him."

"No I don't!" Weiss hissed, her face lit up like a stop sign. "J-Just because he's handsome, young, muscular, a genius-!"

"Weiss, I have seven older sisters," Jaune stated flatly, "You're not fooling me."

"Look," Weiss growled, "I happen to like him a lot, I have plans for the future involving him. So don't-Don't mess anything up for me, got it?! You just transferred into the class, after all! Just be quiet, take notes, and don't be a ruffian!"

Jaune sighed and rolled his eyes.

"Fine... Also?"

He punched her in the shoulder.

"OW! You-You brute! You'd hit a woman-?!"

"I believe in gender equality," Jaune said blandly.

- - -

The class was actually worth putting up with Weiss. Simin Megister may have only been three years older than him, but the guy knew his stuff.

He entered the classroom, got everyone's attention, and started the lesson. He broke things down like an expert, allowing even someone with only second hand experience with Dust usage to grasp the theory behind it. He was like a kindly wizard, who tried to convey the wonder he held about the subject to his students. He often succeeded, too.

He was also very understanding: If you genuinely didn't get what he was saying, he would work with you personally until you got it.

Of course, given that the vast majority of the class was female, he had to do this a lot for girls who were clearly plotting to get up close and personal with the handsome young professor.

Plots that Weiss ruthlessly thwarted whenever possible.

"Oh Professor," A red-haired girl named Candy simpered, "I'm having trouble with the Dust equations in the last chapter. Could you please show me where I went wrong?"

"Of course-" Megister said, but Weiss jumped into the empty seat next to Candy with a tight smile.

"Don't worry, Professor! I can handle it," Weiss said with a gracious beam to the Professor. She pointed her perfectly manicured nails down at some text. "See? You just forgot to carry the three for this step. Not a problem!"

"Why, thank you Weiss," Candy smiled tensely back.

"I'm always happy to help resolve problems," Weiss said, her smile just as fake, "For my slower classmates."

"Yes, you always just seem to know how to get in my way," Candy giggled, "I-I mean, help me on my way!"

Megister went back to his lecture, as Candy fumed and Weiss smirked. Jaune shook his head as he focused back on the lesson.

By the end, Megister dismissed the class with some readings for homework. The girls took their time filing out, naturally, so Jaune was stuck in his row until Weiss moved.

"Miss Schnee, a word please?"

"Of course, Professor Megister!" Weiss gushed happily. Her smile grew at the grumbling of the other girls as they filed out. Jaune got up, headed out, but lingered by the door.

Sure, Weiss was... An enemy? A friend? A... Frienemy? But his big brother instincts were telling him to stick around. If only for blackmail material later.

"Thank you for helping in class, Miss Schnee," Megister said, sounding genuinely grateful, "I get inundated with so many requests for help it can be hard to stay on task."

"Not to worry, Professor," Weiss said, as smooth as silk, "I know the struggles of dealing with... So many drains on one's personal time! Honestly, between your own classwork and your duties as a professor, you probably need some kind of assistance!"

Gods, she wasn't even trying to be subtle.

"It would be nice," he sighed. "I am allowed to appoint a student as a classroom assistant. I've gotten a lot of applications but none of them really want to focus on the work."

"Oh?" Weiss said, a touch too loud, "I-I mean, really?"

"Yeah, they're all girls who have the wrong idea about what the role entails, and none of them have the indepth knowledge required," Megister said, "Just... Girls with crushes."

"O-Oh! Yeah, that... That is the worst," Weiss said, probably nodding furiously.

"But you actually know your Dust, Miss Schnee," he said. "And you're meticulously organized. It might cut into some of your free time on the weekends, as I might need a lab assistant too-"

"Nonono! That-That is perfectly acceptable!" Weiss said happily.

A tall, green haired woman walked up, silent as a stalking cat. She smiled warmly at Jaune.

"Hello, Jaune Arc, right?"

"That's me," Jaune said with a smile, "Hello Professor Moisia."

While Jaune didn't have any of her classes, she was always a kind, friendly assistant teacher and knew everyone's names.

The archer/sniper for Team SLVR looked into the classroom.

"I was just waiting for Simin to finish so we could... Get..."

Her eyes narrowed as she saw how Weiss was fawning over Megister. Her hands twitched, as though she wished to reach for her Bladed Compound Sniper Bow she kept folded up on her back at all times.

"Oh!" Megister smiled. "Hey Vella! Miss Schnee here and I were talking about her becoming my assistant."

"Oh? Were you?" Moisia asked, forcing a smile on her face. She walked up to Weiss, her eyes locked onto the Schnee heiress like she was calculating how many arrows she could fit into her all at once

"Ah, um, yes Professor Moisia," Weiss said quickly, "I thought I could help him with his work, since he's also a student like you! And uh, I-I have a great deal of Dust expertise myself-!"

"It... Would mean you'd get more time on the weekends, Vella," Megister said, as though he knew there was a ticking time bomb in front of him but wasn't sure why, "You wouldn't have to help me out in the lab, given your class load."

Moisia... Sagged a bit. Her anger vanished from her eyes, but sadness replaced it.

"Oh yes, that would be nice. How thoughtful," Moisia said quietly.

Jaune mentally sighed. He'd seen that look on his older sister's faces a lot, too. Moisia would be crying in private soon.

Godsdamnit... I am too nice.

"Hey Weiss!" Jaune called out brightly, entering the classroom, "We're running late for lunch!"

"I-Uh-You-" Weiss tried. Jaune strode up alongside her, and wrapped an arm around her small shoulders.

"Sorry, we just started dating and she's so nervous about it all," Jaune confided. Weiss's eyes widened.

"We're what-?!"

"Oh! You... You have a boyfriend already!" Vella said, eyes wide. She smiled brightly to Megister. "That's a relief! After the last assistant-!"

"Yes, I know," Megister said with a quick nod to move along from the subject as quickly as possible, "Miss Schnee, that's wonderful for you two. Consider yourself my assistant. I'll see you here bright and early next class to run through your duties."

"I-You-Really? I-Thank you!" Weiss said, nodding as she tried to figure out the turmoil of emotions inside of her.

"Just uh, keep it on the downlow for us, huh? She's the Schnee heiress, I'm just some guy," Jaune said, but Megister and Moisia just waved it off.

"No, no, we completely understand," Megister said.

"Though, until she's fully trained on her duties," Moisia said with a smile, "I'll still help you out in the lab, Simin. You do have a tendency to over do things, after all. And a student can't really order a teacher to bed, can she?"

Megister smiled back.

"No... No, I suppose she can't," he said.

Jaune quickly guided Weiss out of the classroom. He had to give her credit-She managed to hold off on screaming at him for about three minutes.

"What was that?!" Weiss growled. Jaune shrugged.

"Me getting you what you wanted!"

"But-But saying we're dating-!"

"I'm lying, Weiss! I'd never date you!" Jaune insisted, "But at the very least, you're not a threat to Megister and Moisia's thing!"

"What thing?! They're... They're friends! They always insist upon that!" Weiss shot back.

Jaune rolled his eyes.

"Did she look like she was 'just friends' with him? I was trying to save you from getting 'accidentally' shot in the eyes by her, Princess! Show a little gratitude!"

"I..." Weiss ground her teeth, almost audibly. She sighed. "I... Well... You apparently got me the position so... Thank you. I guess."

She wagged her finger at him.

"But if you think you can take liberties with me just for the sake of my career, you've got another thing coming!"

Professor Moisia rounded the corner... And Weiss immediately grabbed Jaune's arm and put it around her shoulders.

"Hello Professor, how are you?" Weiss asked.

Moisia beamed.

"Just fine! I'm so glad you'll be helping Simin and myself! Though uh... Don't worry about the weekends too much, all right? I can handle his needs."

I'm sure you can, Jaune thought.

"Yes, yes, of course," Weiss said with a nod. Moisia smiled at Weiss kindly.

"And I'll try not to keep you from your boyfriend too often."

"Th... Thank you," Weiss muttered, blushing in anger.

"Yeah, we're just so attached," Jaune chuckled, "Sometimes she just loses control and drags me off! She puts up this front of hating me but she can't get enough-URK!"

Weiss drove her elbow into his gut and her foot onto his.

"Yes, and sometimes he just can't keep his mouth shut," Weiss giggled.

Moisia nodded, beaming.

"Well... Good luck you two," she said, heading off with a skip in her step.

The moment she was gone, Jaune pulled his arm off her and elbowed her back in her ribs.

"OW! You monster! I'll claim you're an abusive boyfriend!"

"Five minutes of listening to you, they'll know why!"

- - -

Twenty
- - -

The shop's name was simple and elegant. Or at least elegant: Allerleirauh. The interior was warm and cozy, with numerous kinds of clothing and armor lining the wooden shelves and metal racks. The proprietor was an older cat Faunus with dark black hair and ears, and dressed in a black and white suit. He smiled kindly and walked up to Weiss, bowing to her.

"Ah, Miss Schnee! What a pleasant surprise," he chuckled.

Weiss's eyes widened, confused.

"Uh... Do we know each other, Mister-?"

"Schwartz! I was the tailor for your gowns when you went on your singing tour!" Schwartz chuckled. "Oh, forgive me, I'm sure you don't remember!"

"I uh, no! No, those were wonderful dresses!" Weiss said, smiling kindly, "I'm sorry I didn't get to thank you personally! Or... Or meet you! That was incredible work!"

Blake's eyes narrowed a bit as the Faunus man continued to gush happily.

"Not at all, not at all! It was an interesting order, lacing Dust in to shimmer in just the right way," he said, waving his hand, "But please, do come in! And who will be my model? Do you require anything, Miss Schnee?"

"Not for myself on this trip," Weiss said, "But we have a vict-er, a model for you."

Jaune tried to sneak out... But Yang grabbed him by his cloak and pulled him back.

"Come on, you've got this coming," Yang murmured, as she pushed Jaune up to the front of the group. He stared at Schwartz in shock, focusing on his bright green eyes and mustache.

"I uh..."

"This is Jaune Arc," Weiss said with a smile, "He needs a new wardrobe and his current... Ensemble requires a great deal of work."

"Hm, yes, yes, I see," Schwartz said with a nod, looking Jaune up and down with keen insight, "Hmm... Close Range Fighter, but able to move about. Armor is light, antique I see! Northern Valean style, from the Great War, I would gather?"

"Y-Yeah... Have... Have we met before?" Jaune whispered. Schwartz chuckled and shook his head.

"Possibly, possibly, I have so many customers! I try to remember them all, but alas, my mind just isn't what it used to be. Now! Come along, come along!"

He ushered Jaune to a dressing room.

"Strip, young man, and hand it all to me!" He called.

"I don't suppose I could convince you to let me go?"

"Could you convince them?" Schwartz deadpanned.

"... Good point," Jaune sighed. He pulled off his clothes and armor, and lifted it up over the dressing room door. Schwartz took it all and placed it into a box.

"Uncle Perrito!"

An old Faunus Dog man in a comfortable sweater and jeans came out, his scruffy hair short as his ears wagged.

"Yes, Schwartz?"

Schwartz smiled kindly upon the older Faunus, and handed him the box of clothes.

"Please bring this to Opal, I can't wait to see what she does with it!"

He paused, and held up his Scroll over the door to take a photo of Jaune.

"HEY!" Jaune shouted.

"This is all she needs to match the colors, he looks like a summer," Schwartz said. Perrito nodded, taking the scroll.

"Of course, of course! I'll be right back!"

"Don't push yourself too hard, Uncle!"

"I won't!" Perrito tossed back, but he still loped to the back of the shop like an eager puppy. Blake looked incredulous.

"A... Dog Faunus is your uncle?"

"Has been since I was born," Schwartz chuckled, "He's taking a break from his work to help me with the shop. Now then, young ladies! This young man is your prey..."

He grinned devilishly, a look reflected on all the faces of the females of Teams RWBY and JNPR.

"How shall we dress him?"

- - -

Jaune stomped out, glaring at everyone as he got up in front of the triple mirrors. The rest of his team and RWBY were sitting in chairs. Nora had popcorn.

"Seriously guys? This is how you repay me?" He demanded, now wearing very short khaki shorts, a tan vest, and a half-buttoned up white shirt with sandals.

"A casual beach look, perhaps best offset with some gold jewelry on his neck," Schwartz presented.

"Oh... My," Pyrrha murmured, staring at him with greedy eyes.

"Well, I suppose if he's bathed it would be somewhat acceptable," Weiss opined.

"I'm gonna dye your hair polka dots for this, Princess!" Jaune growled.

"HA! Like that even makes sense!" Weiss giggled.

"Come on Jaune, I just chose something that I thought you'd look good in," Yang giggled and winked, "I think you pull it off! Right Ruby?"

"I dunno, Yang," Ruby mumbled, "He looks... A lot like Dad."

"What? Pfft. Come on, there's next to no resemblance!" Yang said, shaking her head.

"I've seen pictures of your father, Yang, he looks a LOT like him," Weiss said, giving Yang a weird look. Yang shook her head.

"I don't find him attractive because he looks like my dad! He just... Looks a lot like him! I-I'm sure I look kind of like his mom!"

"Oh geez," Ruby mumbled.

"Oh... Well now that you mention it," Jaune blinked. "N-Not that I'm attracted to my mom or anything!"

"Of course not!" Yang laughed.

"Really?" Blake asked, still reading her book, "You don't think you're in an Elektra complex?"

"I AM NOT!" Yang growled.

"Then call him Daddy."

"Wha... Why would I-?!"

"Just as an experiment," Blake said.

Yang turned to Jaune, and cleared her throat.

"Uh... Just to prove there's nothing to this... Daddy~."

Yang, Jaune, and Ruby's cheeks went red. Jaune coughed.

"Uh... Oh... Oh wow, okay... That uh... I'll admit, that... Does something for me. You uh...?"

"Y-Yeah," Yang nodded, "M-Me too."

"Well... Fair is fair," Jaune said with a shrug, looking right into Yang's eyes, "Mama~."

Yang's entire face went bright red. Ruby gulped. Pyrrha was panting.

The blonde boxer nodded slowly, licking her lips.

"Oh... Oh wow, I am learning... So much about myself today-"

"I will hose you all down, I swear it," Weiss growled.

- - -

Jaune trudged back out to the platform. He sighed as he stepped onto the platform.

"Stand up straight!" Weiss ordered.

"Seriously?! What the hell is this monkey suit?!"

"Classic Atlesian Butler wear, about a decade old," Schwartz said, as Jaune stood in a fancy and sleek black suit with a cravat.

"Are you kidding?! A butler's outfit?!"

"You actually look somewhat presentable now!" Weiss giggled.

"I will poison your cake, you little brat! Do you hear me?!"

"I kind of like the tails, they'd go 'swoosh' when he ran!" Nora laughed.

"Oooh, I didn't even think about that!" Ruby grinned. "But nah, capes are still better!"

"When you wear this, you had better serve it up hot! Don't want it Weiss-cold!" Yang giggled.

"I think it looks very elegant, Jaune," Pyrrha sighed happily, "Though I'd rather serve you instead."

"Gloves would make him seem more unapproachable," Blake said.

"They would!" Weiss gasped. "And who wants his grubby mitts all over everything? Schwartz, please give him gloves! Nice white ones!"

She paused.

"Also a serving tray, I want to see how he looks doing honest work for once-"

"I WILL SHIV YOU!"

- - -

Jaune emerged in a black school uniform, common to Mistral. It consisted of black pants, a white undershirt, and a black coat with a round collar. It was closed with round white buttons. He frowned.

"Who's choice was this?" Jaune asked.

"Mine," Blake said, holding up her hand. Jaune shrugged, looking just as confused as the others.

"I mean, I guess it's okay? But I already have a school uniform."

Blake got up and walked to Jaune. She unbuttoned the jacket, rolled up the sleeves, mussed up Jaune's hair, and backed away.

"Look me in the eyes," Blake ordered.

"Uh... Kay?"

Jaune, confused, did so. Blake backed up until her shoulders were pressed up against the mirror.

"Now... Slam your hand against the mirror, just next to my head," Blake ordered.

"Wha-?"

"Do it."

Jaune did so. Blake sucked in a breath and shivered as her cheeks went bright red.

"Y-Yes... Now tell me... 'You're hot for a bookworm!'"

"WHAT?!"

Pyrrha looked caught between rage and longing. Ruby wasn't much better. Weiss just facepalmed. Ren remained as stoic as ever, while Nora just giggled.

"Blake," Yang began, her smile dangerous, "Did you dress Jaune up like a character from your smut books?!"

"Demon of High School is not smut! It's action erotica with an intricate plot, well-written characters-!"

Jaune placed his arms in a big 'X'.

"Nope! Nope! None of that! NOPE!"

- - -

"I'm not coming out!"

"Come on, Jaune," Yang called, "It can't be as bad as the others!"

"It's worse."

"Don't be a pussy!" Nora shouted. "Ah, no offense."

"None taken," Schwartz chuckled, even as Blake fumed.

Jaune came out... And everyone went quiet. He wore black leather armor that he didn't seem to be wearing, but painted on. It had interlocking armor segments across his chest, thighs, and groin. His toes were individually wrapped in fibers, with metallic claws added to each one. Silver and bronze segments highlighted his muscles and a headset covered his ears. His lower jaw was protected by a similar skin-tight armor material. A sword was attached to his thigh. He stood in front of them with a sigh, as a visor unfolded down in front of his eyes.

"This squeezes my everything and I hate it," Jaune pronounced.

"But it's the latest in nanofiber armor!" Ruby cried, her entire face red, as she huffed hungrily for air through her nostrils, "It's got interlocking artificial musculature! Intergrated Dust circuits that react to Aura impulses! Sealant layers to keep you from bleeding out! Weapon interlocks to allow for multiple targeting interfaces, including neural feedback-!"

"Breath, Miss Rose, breath," Schwartz chuckled, "That's reserved for an Atlas Specialist, I'm afraid. Cutting edge stuff!"

"Then why are you letting me wear it?!"

"To see how you'd look in it, of course!"

Pyrrha fainted dead away with a happy smile. Yang was just as red, but mustered a response.

"S-So... Is that a sword in your pocket, or are you happy to see me?"

"IT IS A SWORD AND IT'S GOT EXPLOSIVE BOLTS TO RELEASE IT! IT'S SO COOL!"

"Ruby, is your nose bleeding?" Weiss asked.

"THE AIR IS REALLY DRY IN HERE!"

- - -

Jaune emerged next in a sensible suit-Stylish, dark blue, with a red tie that attracted attention. He smiled as he walked up onto the platform again.

"You know, this is pretty nice!" Jaune said, looking at himself in the mirrors.

"I must agree, though it's a bit plain," Weiss said.

"For you, anything would be plain," Yang laughed, "But yeah! Lookin' slick, Crybaby!" She wolf whistled.

"It-It's okay, I guess," Ruby said, pouting a bit that Jaune wouldn't be wearing the Atlesian Cyber battle armor anymore.

"Very formal," Ren commented.

"You look like you're gonna run a bank! Or maybe shoot it up!" Nora commented cheerfully.

"Thank you Nora," Jaune deadpanned.

"Ah, a suit for women is like catnip for cats," Schwartz chuckled.

"That's racist," Blake muttered, even as she stared intently at Jaune.

"So, who chose this one?" Jaune asked.

"Oh, uh, I-I did, Jaune!" Pyrrha said, holding up her arm. Jaune smiled at her.

"Well! This is a great choice, Pyrrha! Thanks!"

"Oh, wait, the finishing touch!" Pyrrha said cheerfully. She got up and walked to him. She presented some glasses.

Jaune blinked.

"Uh... I don't need those-"

"Please, Jaune?" Pyrrha pleaded. Jaune sighed, and pulled the glasses on.

"How's that?" He asked.

Pyrrha trembled, her face turning bright red.

"J-Just fine... Can... Can I call you... Professor Arc?"

"... Why?" Jaune asked.

"J-Just to show my respect to you, as an authority figure!" Pyrrha stammered. She held her cheeks as she trembled. "An authority figure I've displeased... Wh-Who will hold me back after class... Tell me I'm a bad girl... A-A naughty girl, and then-!"

"No, no, none of that," Jaune stated, even as several other girls blushed, "Stop it or back to horny jail with you!"

"But-"

"No!"

"Aw..."

- - -

Jaune blinked as he looked at himself in the mirror. The green tunic, the white pants... The pink highlight in his hair...

"Nora, why did you dress me up like Ren?"

"You can't improve upon perfection!" Nora chirped cheerfully. Ren raised an eyebrow... And looked just the tiniest bit smug.

"I really hate you right now, bro," Jaune growled.

"I know," said Ren.

- - -

More to come...

"Allerleirauh" is a classic fairy tale collected by the Brothers Grimm about a princess demanding several dresses of various impossible materials, which seems fitting for such a shop in RWBY.

Naturally Ruby's choice is based upon Raiden from "Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance." It seemed like the kind of thing that would get her heart pumping.

And you've all probably guessed who Schwartz is the son of, given his Uncle Perrito...

Blake had zero chill this chapter and I loved it. She flip flopped between being ticked off at perceived racism and The Horny.

Still.... Where the fuck did Ruby conjur up fucking Atlas brand Cybernetic fetish gear?

Ruby knows Weiss, and Weiss has Batman's greatest superpower, huge amounts of money.

Twenty-One
- - -

Sun checked his map of the city. He looked down from the top of a warehouse near the docks. Dock workers of every kind busily went about their business, moving freight, hauling cargo, loading and unloading. The cry of gulls filled the morning air as the last of the fog vanished thanks to the rays of the risen sun.

The golden monkey faunus sighed heavily.

"I am so lost..."

He dropped down, easily sliding to the pavement via the fire escape before backflipping off to land near a few open crates of bananas.

"Damn, and I had to skip breakfast," he muttered. He looked around... Then knocked a bunch off one of the piles. It fell for the ground. Sun grabbed it just before it hit and began eating happily. "Mmph... Well... Waste not, want not..."

"Hey, kid!"

Sun glanced over at two dock workers. He held up his hands, using his tail to hold the bananas behind his back. He gave them his most charming, idiotic pretty boy smile.

"Yo! Hey, sorry about startling you! I'm a little lost. Can you tell me where to find...?"

One of the dockworkers, a Faunus, opened his coat and revealed a pistol.

"You can find the exit, right now," he growled, pointing behind Sun, "Beat it, kid."

Sun's eyes narrowed a bit as he spotted something poking out of the man's pocket. A mask...

Shit. White Fang's around here, huh? Yeah, I'll leave you to that, assholes...

"I'm going, I'm going," Sun sighed theatrically. He let go of the banana bunch, spun around, and caught it in his hands as he began to run. He ate the bananas as quick as he could. Unfortunately, he ran past a few cops who were patrolling just outside the dock gates.

"HEY! Kid! Where'd you get those bananas?" One of the officers shouted. Sun shrugged.

"Found 'em. It illegal to eat bananas around here or something?"

"GET BACK HERE!" The second cop shouted, waving his stun baton. Sun rolled his eyes and took to the streets, nimbly dodging around morning pedestrians.

Hey, he needed his morning run anyway.

- - -

The others continued to torment Jaune some more. Blake admitted that it was quite fun... But she had some questions for Schwartz. She waited until he was called away to the front desk, and slipped away soundlessly courtesy of a shadow clone. She slunk through the rows of coat racks, her keen eyes locked onto the tailor as he went up to the new customer. It was a redheaded human woman in her forties, wearing an elegant dress. She gave Schwartz a a haughty look. Schwartz happily greeted her with a small bow.

"Welcome, Madame Winchester. You're here for the order?"

"Yes," the red headed woman said stiffly, "I trust it is ready?"

The cold look in the woman's eyes made Blake grit her teeth. Schwartz smiled politely, and snapped his fingers.

"But of course, Madame! Uncle?"

Perrito bounded up happily, the middle aged man still tearing about like a puppy. He produced a black dress bag, and handed it to his nephew.

"Thank you Perrito," Schwartz said cheerfully, holding up the bag and unzipping it. "As you can see, it has been completely altered. A much more modern cut. It will allow your daughter to turn many heads."

"Not too many, I hope," Madame Winchester sniffed, "She gets around too much as it is."

Still, she wore an approving expression as she looked the dress over.

"Ah yes, I know that feeling," Schwartz sighed, "My eldest is at Valean Medical College. Always off to some party, not doing enough studying..." He shook his head. "Children, eh?"

Madame Winchester's cold expression warmed slightly, as she nodded.

"Yes. They're always a handful," she admitted, "My youngest son, Cardin, just started at Beacon."

"Ah! How is he finding his armor?" Schwartz asked, heading to the front desk to ring up the order as Perrito followed at his heel. Madame Winchester shook her head.

"He hasn't talked to us much," she admitted, "I imagine it's because he wants to be more independent."

"He's away from home for the first time, it makes sense," Perrito said with a nod, panting happily, "Lots of teenagers want their space in that way! Doesn't mean he doesn't love you still, just wants to feel like a man."

Madame Winchester nodded indulgently.

"I suppose no news is good news." She gave Schwartz a glare. "You're quite sure his armor is up to standard?"

"Beyond standard, Madame," Schwartz chuckled, "It's the only way to keep my customer base. Your card?"

The woman handed over her card, and Schwartz ran it.

"I tested it myself," Schwartz said, "Opal is very enthusiastic when I do that."

"She was SUPER enthusiastic," Perrito chuckled, "She used a rocket launcher! My wife never uses a rocket launcher on me!"

"Indeed?" Winchester asked, her eyebrow raised. Schwartz nodded, wincing a bit.

"Only the best for our customers... And my wife is the best at rocket launchers!"

"Isn't that dangerous?"

"Only for amateurs," Schwartz said smoothly.

He handed her the receipt, which she took gratefully.

"Thank you," she said. She took the dress bag.

"You know, you could just have the dress delivered, Madame," Schwartz pointed out, as she turned to leave.

Madame Winchester nodded slowly.

"I could... But I prefer to do things the old fashioned way." She gave him a thin smile. "Makes me feel like I actually did something for my children."

"You always do something for them," Perrito insisted. Her smile widened, just a bit.

"I'd... Like to think so," she said. She headed out, the bell over the door ringing softly at her exit. The old door swing shut, and Blake watched Madame Winchester walk out to a waiting limousine.

"You do know what they say about curiosity and the cat, yes?" Schwartz asked, looking right at Blake with a raised brow. Blake emerged from the clothing rack with a slight scowl.

"You... Do know what the Winchesters did to Faunus during the Revolution, right?" She asked with soft, cold anger. "You know what the Schnee Dust Company does to us?

"Of course," Schwartz said, "I'm not an idiot."

"Then... Then how could you kotow to them?" Blake demanded. "How could you do business with them?!"

Schwartz chuckled, shaking his head sadly.

"My dear Miss Blake Belladonna! White Fang does not have the monopoly on Faunus," he stated, as Blake stiffened, "I do not call your father my king, nor Sienna my queen. And if you think you can guilt me into joining your band of terrorists-"

"I-I'm not White Fang anymore," Blake mumbled, looking away. Perrito grinned, and loped up to her with a bright smile.

"That's good! White Fang are really mean," he said, "I mean... I wanna assume the best of people, because how could I not with the wonderful world we live in? But they're super mean. If you left, then that means you're not mean!"

Not mean...?

"I..." Blake shook her head. "I just don't..."

"Listen, Miss Belladonna," Schwartz said, not unkindly, "I didn't do any business with the SDC. I didn't make my money off the backs of enslaved Faunus: I made a dress for their young heiress, who, to the best of my knowledge, has done nothing wrong to Faunus, nor anyone else. Madame Winchester's parents did fight in the Revolution... And so did my father. But! We didn't. My skill shows, I have good connections, and so she comes to me for her needs and is civil."

"But not everyone is," Blake insisted. Schwartz nodded.

"No. Not everyone. But if you want the world to be fair to everyone, you're asking for the impossible," he said with a shrug. "I do good business, and I have good customers and bad. I provide for my family, and have good neighbors. I consider myself blessed-"

"And what about all the Faunus who aren't?" Blake challenged him. Schwartz sighed.

"Again... All I can do, is what I can do," he explained, spreading his hands out, "Do you consider me a traitor for simply living my life as best I can?"

"I..." Blake looked aside. Schwartz finally came out from around the counter, and rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Listen, Miss Belladonna," he said, "In the beginning, White Fang did do good things. I'm not disputing that... But now, they're not about equality. They're about supremacy. We're tearing each other apart so much as though the Grimm aren't standing outside the walls waiting to devour all of us. Faunus and human. I'm no revolutionary, I'm no leader, I'm no great man. I just do what I can."

"I... I see," Blake mumbled. He chuckled.

"Be that as it may... If you need a safe place to come, or a friendly ear? Well... No charge. It would be a fitting tribute to my father."

Blake nodded. Perrito beamed at her.

"Aw... Someone's feeling unhappy... Hey! You know what cheers me up?" He held up a rubber ball. "Nephew?"

"Of course Uncle," Schwartz chuckled. He tossed the ball, and Perrito ran after it. He caught it in his hands, and put it in his mouth to chew on. He trotted back happily, and dropped the ball in Schwartz's hand. The cat man smiled as his Uncle panted happily.

"Again, Uncle?"

"Yes please!" Perrito cried.

Schwartz threw the ball, and Perrito chased after it. He glanced over at Blake, who wore a look halfway between disgust and horrified amusement.

"Hey, it keeps him happy," Schwartz said with a smile, "And my uncle deserves to be happy."

"Doesn't he care about how he looks?" Blake muttered.

"Of course not! Which is one reason I love him," Schwartz admitted.

"I love you too, Schwartz!" Perrito cheered, going for another thrown ball. It bounced off the window of the front door, and Perrito caught it happily. The door swung open, the bell ringing loudly as another customer entered. Schwartz's eyes narrowed, as Blake looked at the newcomers in confusion and suspicion.

Perrito looked up, panting happily.

"Hello, new people!" He said cheerfully, "How can we help you be happy today?"

- - -

Jaune shook his head.

"No," he stated, "Absolutely NOT. I'm not modeling underwear!"

"But Jaunnne," Nora whined, holding up a leather Speedo, "Come on! I wanna see how it'll look on Renny! You're the same size! In most ways!"

"No."

"Jauney-!"

"No! Never! Nuh uh!" Jaune shook his head.

"Come on, Arc," Weiss stated.

"I..." Jaune scowled, and took the underwear. "It won't even fit! It's too... Uh..."

"Snug?" Nora asked bluntly.

Pyrrha fainted again, her face a wide, happy grin. Yang was giggling like a schoolgirl, as Ruby blushed and looked everywhere but at Jaune. Weiss too was flushed, but still kept up her evil grin.

"Come on Arc! Put on a show! You can't be an arbitrary exhibitionist!"

"I'm not an exhibitionist-!"

"Jauney, my boy!"

Jaune looked up, his eyes widening in shock. A blond, long nosed man in a charcoal suit, with glasses and a goatee, walked right up to him and hugged him tightly. A very familiar man.

Roman Torchwick?!

"It's so good to see you again," he laughed, patting Jaune on the back, "Surely you remember your old Uncle Alex?"

"Uncle Alex?" Ruby muttered, staring intently at the man. Schwartz and Blake stepped up behind her. Schwartz was smiling, but far more tensely, while Blake's eyes were narrowed in suspicion. Perrito was in the front of the shop, amusing himself by tossing a red rubber ball and chasing it.

Jaune cleared his throat.

"I uh-URK!"

Jaune looked over his shoulder. Yup, a familiar (if differently colored) young woman was clinging to his back with a bright, cheerful smile.

"And you remember little Mint, of course," Roman Torchwick laughed, "Been a while, huh?"

"It-It sure has," Jaune said weakly.

"Well, since we're here," 'Alex' chuckled, slapping Jaune on the back with an ominous glint in his eyes, "Why don't we catch up? We've got a lot to talk about..."

"We do?"

Neo tightened her grip on his shoulders. Jaune nodded quickly.

"Oh yeah! We-We sure do!"

"Wait! Wait! Stop everything, the main attraction has arrived!"

Even Ren's eyes widened a bit as a truly gorgeous white cat Faunus woman dressed in white emerged from the backroom. In her arms was a box filled with green cloth and white armor. She flung her white hair back with a winning smile, her blue eyes locking onto Schwartz with a truly loving expression.

"Hello Darling," she crooned. Schwartz chuckled, and approached her.

"Cara mia," he growled, taking her free arm and kissing up it to her neck. "You look even more ravishing every time I see you~!"

"Oh stop," she giggled, planting a kiss on his lips that made Schwartz growl again, "Not in front of customers~!"

"But my love," Schwartz whined. At her look, he sighed.

"Very well," he stated. He turned back to the assembled group, and took the box from his wife. "Allow me to introduce my wonderful wife and partner, Opal. The heart of my life, the gem of my universe."

Opal giggled again, and squeaked as Schwartz slapped her posterior. She pouted at him.

"You're going to pay for that, my love~," she crooned.

"Gods, I hope so," Schwartz chuckled. They nuzzled one another eagerly.

"Ahem," 'Alex' cleared his throat, "Please, there are children about."

"Good, maybe they can learn something," Opal simpered.

"W-We don't mind!" Pyrrha murmured, glancing away from the happy couple and back to Jaune with an eager smile.

"S-So shameless," Weiss muttered, covering up Ruby's eyes.

"Hey! Quit it, Weiss!"

"Yang, protect your little sister!" Weiss protested.

Yang chuckled.

"Hey, I'm not gonna tell them they can't express their love. They seemed suited for eachother!"

"Urrrggghh!"

Blake flushed and muttered something about her parents. Neo continued to play with Jaune's hair.

"That could be us," Nora sighed happily, cuddling up to Ren.

"We're not cat Faunus," Ren deadpanned. Nora just scowled.

Jaune for his part took it in stride-He'd had to put up with his seven sisters and their romances, after all.

"That my gear?" Jaune asked. Opal beamed, as Schwartz handed it over.

"Of course! Go on, change!"

"I will," Jaune said. He looked up at 'Mint'. She pouted at him. "Come on Mint, off."

"If you need someone with you in the changing room," Pyrrha volunteered, "I'd be happy to-"

"No Pyrrha, no one but me will be in the changing room. Get going, Mint."

Mint pouted, poked him hard in his neck (which made him wince), then hopped off to sit on a table and leer at him.

Jaune sighed, and trudged back into the changing room. That he hadn't just fallen into utter apathy over this entire ridiculous fiasco was probably a testament to his will or something.

He emerged a few moments later, adjusting his modified bracers.

He stepped onto the platform in front of the mirror, and looked himself over.

His cloak was the same, but it had been heavily cleaned and modified-The hood was lined with white fur, as was the hem. White markings had been drawn into the fabric, all very geometric.

He now had abdominal armor plating that slotted neatly into the older stuff, though it had yellow borders around the plates where they connected to the undervest. His pauldrons were similarly attached, and fit well on his shoulders. His old hoodie laid in the box he'd left in the changing stall, a new, plain black hoodie taking its place as an underlayer for his armor. There was some light fur lining around his neck, too.

His bracers were now proper gauntlets, and he had full leather gloves underneath them with fur lining. Gold piping outlined the plates here, too.

A clean pair of gray combat pants and midnight blue combat boots covered his legs and lower body, with similarly upgraded knee and shin guards. Fur lined the tops of his boots, as well.

His sword and shield were no different, though they definitely had gone through a full cleaning and maintenance cycle. He had gotten a scabbard for Crocea Mors though, attached to his double belt along with his various pouches and bags.

He turned back to his audience.

"Well?" He asked.

"Oh... Wow," Ruby murmured, "That's the new Mistralian Haventech Armor Upgrade Kit?"

"The same," Opal said cheerfully, brushing back her neatly coiffed hair, "Designed to slot into older armor systems and be easily welded together without losing any strength or Aura compatibility. It may feel a bit odd for a few days but it will soon feel natural."

"And the Dust slots?" Ruby pressed.

"Interchangeable," Opal said, "He seems like he prefers close range battle, so may as well keep it simple. But there's always room for upgrades. There's a new kit from Atlas for swords-It would allow for a Dust Augment upgrade to allow for elemental damage. With his strong Aura, there's a lot of possibilities."

"... Can I live here with you?" Ruby asked, eyes shining.

Opal chuckled and patted her head.

"Don't you have school at Beacon?"

"Oh, right," Ruby grumbled. Her eyes lit back up as she looked over Jaune again. "Worth it... But I'd love to hang out here and talk shop!"

"Of course!" Opal said happily, "It's nice to meet a Huntress interested in such things! You've got a good head on your shoulders!"

"Well, glad you approve, Ruby," Jaune chuckled, as Ruby blushed, "Anyone else?"

"Not too shabby, Crybaby," Yang chuckled with a wink, "I think you'll look just fine for our date tonight~."

"In full combat gear?" Jaune asked. Yang grinned wider.

"Wouldn't be any fun otherwise, huh? As long as you can dance in that."

"I can dance in anything," Jaune said firmly.

"I guess we'll see if you can walk the talk," Yang chuckled.

Jaune turned to Nora and Ren. Nora beamed and gave a thumbs up.

"Nice! I'm glad you're sticking with green and white! It's the perfect color combo! Right Ren?"

"Indeed," Ren observed dryly. Jaune turned to Pyrrha.

"So, partner, how do I look?"

Pyrrha blushed and licked her lips.

"Like a barbarian warrior who's going to pin me down and-"

"OKAY, glad you approve," Jaune stated firmly, as Pyrrha flushed and looked down at the floor. "Seriously, you gotta get a handle on that or you'll faint in a fight."

"I absolutely wouldn't!" Pyrrha insisted. "Not with my barbarian knight alongside me!"

"Can that be your new nickname?" Yang asked with a grin.

"No, no, we are not doing that," Jaune stated firmly. "Alex" hummed.

"Eh... I think you'd look better in white and black. The green thing's a little..." He tilted his hand in a 'so-so' manner.

"They are the king and queen of colors, but they require contrast to be at their best," Schwartz said with a smile, "And I never make mistakes."

"My wonderful man," Opal cooed.

Jaune glanced at Neo, who grinned and mimed stabbing.

"No, you don't get to test his armor until later, sweetie," 'Alex' stated firmly. 'Mint' pouted.

"You know, you look really familiar," Ruby said, eyes narrowed, "Have we met before?"

"Ah, I just have one of those faces," 'Alex' said with a gentle shrug.

"Yeah but you look nothing like Jaune," Ruby pressed.

"He's just a family friend," Jaune said quickly, as he saw Neo looking at Ruby with violence in her eyes, "Really Ruby, Uncle Alex and I go way back."

"If you're sure," Ruby murmured, before returning to Opal to talk more shop. Jaune winced-He really did hate lying to her.

"Looks acceptable," Blake opined, still looking at 'Alex' and 'Mint' suspiciously.

"Thanks Blake, that helps," Jaune snarked.

Blake slowly turned her eyes onto him.

"It reminds me of the title character from Ascension of the Shield Sage, a man who has to fight in an unknown fantasy world with the deck stacked against him, and only his harem of warrior wives to aid him-"

"Okay, I get it, thank you," Jaune stated quickly, as Pyrrha eyed Blake in speculation.

Well, maybe if she gets into porn she'll calm down a little, he thought.

Jaune at last turned to Weiss, and shrugged.

"So...?"

Weiss hummed thoughtfully.

"Well, at least you don't look like you rolled out of a dumpster," Weiss stated with an approving nod, "You'd better appreciate the Atlesian fox fur!"

"I'm amazed you can afford this and all the other outfits," Jaune deadpanned. Weiss laughed, and Jaune narrowed his eyes. "What?"

"Oh Arc, you simple minded ruffian! I'm only paying for your upgraded outfit! Maybe a few odds and ends, like Pyrrha's suit choice, but that's it."

Jaune's jaw dropped.

"Wait... I'm not getting all the other outfits?!"

"Of course not!" Weiss huffed, "I'm not made of money!"

"Then this entire show was just to make me suffer?"

Weiss beamed.

"And for our entertainment. I'd say it was well worth it, right ladies?"

Much laughter and blushing ensued. Ren smirked very slightly.

"I hate you all, and I'm only going to be a good leader and keep you all alive because I'll get a bad grade otherwise!" Jaune growled. "I hope you know that!"

Ruby hugged him tightly and nuzzled his chest.

"We love you too, Jaune!"

Jaune sighed and patted her on the head... Before 'Mint' elbowed her out of the way.

"HEY!" Ruby squawked. 'Alex' strode forward, and placed a firm hand on Jaune's shoulder.

"How about I settle up this account, eh Miss Schnee? Least I can do for my nephew," 'Alex' said kindly.

Weiss glared at him, then calmly held out her lien card. Schwartz took it gracefully.

"Uncle? Can you take care of this?" He asked.

Perrito hopped up and took it with an eager smile.

"Sure thing, Schwartz! Hey Opal! You look great!"

"Aw, you told me that before!" Opal giggled.

"Well you always look great!" Perrito said happily, bouncing off to the register.

Schwartz smiled at 'Alex', the tension between the two men nearly palpable.

"Your money's no good here, Mister Alex," Schwartz said. "You should know that. Are we going to have trouble?"

"No trouble, no trouble," 'Alex' said with a smile, "Come on, Schwartz, Opal! We go way back, don't we?"

"Too far back," Opal stated with a sniff.

"He's my beloved nephew, I ain't gonna rough him up," 'Alex' chuckled. "Just want to spend some time with him. Alone."

"Jaune," Pyrrha began, but Jaune shook his head and smiled.

"It's all right guys, really. Go have fun, you've earned it," he said. Schwartz and Opal calmed a bit, but still look wary.

Jaune looked at Yang.

"So... Pick you up at 6?"

"Sounds good," Yang smiled. She walked up, and elbowed 'Mint' out of the way to hug Jaune tightly. "Don't be late, hm?"

They could feel the air crackle with magnetic power as Yang planted a kiss on Jaune's cheek, and heat up from 'Mint's' glare.

"Wouldn't dream of it," Jaune said, laughing uncomfortably, as Mint tightened her grip on his arm.

"We'll head out too, then," Weiss said, "It is our first day in Vale in a while, after all! Come on ladies. Good bye, Arc."

She smirked devilishly.

"Until next we need a male model."

"Ren should go next," Jaune said quickly, "Why should I get to have all the fun?"

"I-" Ren protested, before Nora cheered.

"THAT'S A GREAT IDEA! I wanna see you in black, in white, in pink, in naked...!"

Ren gave Jaune a look. Despite how hard Neo's fingers dug into his arm, Jaune managed a smirk and shrug.

"Fair is fair, bro."

"I suppose so," Ren sighed, closing his eyes as he felt the gazes of many interested females.

Please buddy, Jaune mentally snorted, as Roman and Neo led him towards the exit, You are getting the better deal. Trust me...

- - -

So... Did NOBODY of substance notice the play by play between the Murder Gremlin, Steampunk Orange and The Barbarian Knight? Fuck, even the happy go lucky Shopkeeper was acting funny towards the two!

What a double team of lemmings...

So... Did NOBODY of substance notice the play by play between the Murder Gremlin, Steampunk Orange and The Barbarian Knight? Fuck, even the happy go lucky Shopkeeper was acting funny towards the two!

What a double team of lemmings...

They're suspicious, but only Ruby has seen Roman Torchwick before and Jaune has shown to act awkward when the subject of his family comes up. So they wouldn't immediately leap to "Criminal stuff!"

Though they will observe things as long as they can...

Omake: SLVR Lining 2: "Lycan Arcadia"
I've decided to make some different sidestory entries that show off Team SLVR a bit in the classroom. Nothing too involved, just to flesh out some other classes at Beacon and do some worldbuilding. Also make some silly jokes. If you have ideas for similar omakes, by all means, post away!

- - -

Yang Xiao-Long was surprised, but not unpleasantly, when she saw Jaune standing in the gym early on Tuesday morning. She jogged over to him as she yawned.

"Hey Crybaby!"

"Hey Firecracker," Jaune replied. Like many of the other students, he didn't look like much of a morning person. "Ugh... Close Combat Training Class?"

"You know it," Yang grinned, "He had to cancel the first few at the start of the year, but here we are now! Yo, Ren!"

Ren stood next to Jaune, his typical stoic self. He inclined his head to Yang.

"Hello Yang. It is a pleasure to see you this morning."

"Same," Yang grinned, "I'm pumped about this class, ya know? Goodwitch is pretty cool and all, but I don't feel like I get to really refine my skills, ya know?"

"Indeed," Ren said with a nod, "I have heard that Professor Arcadia is a close combat expert."

"Sounds good, I need all the help I can get," Jaune muttered. Yang bumped him with her shoulder in a friendly way.

"Come on, you're not that bad."

"Nah, but I need to be better," he said.

"That's what we're all here for, Jaune," Ren said.

The rest of the students milled around, before the doors to the gym slammed open. A tall, tanned, blonde wolf Faunus man looked around at them. He was dressed in gym clothes from the school, and had his gauntlets hanging from his belt. He walked up to the front of the gym, where a simple desk and chair had been set up.

"Sit down," he ordered gruffly. The students all complied as the teacher came up to the table. He grabbed the edge of it, and flipped it over with a bang, making most of the students jumped. He grabbed the chair, and dragged it up closer. He sat down, and glared into the crowd.

"So I can look you in the eyes," he stated. "I am Professor Lycan Arcadia. I am your Close Combat Teacher. Now, some of you are going to function as tanks: Taking hits and dishing out damage to protect your teammates or civilians. Some of you are going to deal damage up close and personal. Some of you just suck at close combat and want to get better. I'm here to say... Whatever your reason for being here? It's a good one."

He leaned back a little in his chair.

"You might be a prodigy with your fists. Or you just want to not go down like a bitch to one hit. As long as you know what you can do and work hard, you can become stronger. Because at the end of the day, even without Aura, weapons, or your Semblance, you still have your fists and your brains. So you still have a chance to survive and win."

He narrowed his eyes and growled low in his throat.

"Don't think it won't happen to you, because it will. Professor Port's got endless stories about Hunters who got cocky and died horribly. The world out there is not friendly, and it's not nice. When things go bad, you gotta know how to survive."

Lycan shook his head.

"There are going to be days where you lose. You get to the village too late, and everyone's dead. You find a survivor, and he's bleeding out, and the best you can promise him is a quick, painless death. You're gonna have days where you are outnumbered and have to retreat, or your team falls apart and you have to pull yourselves back together... Or die. My team's been through all that and survived."

He lowered his voice at all the shocked looks.

"It's okay to be scared. Everyone's scared. What matters is if you can control your fear, and push past it to do what needs to be done. Close Combat will be the first choice for many of you. For others, it will be the last choice. So if you're gonna rely on it, you'd better make sure you don't completely suck at it."

Lycan stood up.

"You can't count on some mysterious power erupting out of you like a shitty Mistralian comic at your most desperate hour. And no one can do everything all by themselves. That's why we have teams. So, if you suck at close combat, that's fine. I'll teach you to suck less. If you're amazing, you can always be better. It's okay to be scared. It's not okay to not try."

Yang's eyes were wide. This guy was hardcore.

"Right, with that out of the way," Lycan stated, "Since this is our first class, we're gonna go through some basic demonstrations of close combat fighting techniques." His eyes locked onto her. "Xiao-Long, right?"

"Right, uh, Professor!"

"Get up here," Lycan stated firmly. Yang complied, strutting up to face him. He nodded to her.

"Taught by your father, Taiyang Xiao-Long, right?"

"Yes Professor."

"Northern Valean Kickboxing, right?" Lycan asked. Yang, surprised, nodded quickly.

"Yeah! How'd you know?"

"It's my job," he deadpanned. He nodded. "Hit me."

Yang blinked.

"Uh, Professor-?"

"You hard of hearing, Xiao-Long?" Lycan scoffed. "Hit me!"

Yang blinked. She shrugged.

Well, it has been a long-time fantasy of mine to punch a teacher out...

She swung her fist for Lycan's face... He blurred and put a fist right into her face!

Yang was so shocked she barely got her Aura up to tank the hit. She was still slammed onto her back onto the matted floor, as the class gasped.

"That the best you can do, Party Girl?" Lycan sneered.

She rose, her eyes red and hair glowing like fire.

"All right, you asked for it," she seethed. She was back up in an instant and throwing punches in a furious counter attack. Lycan blocked or dodged through the strikes, and jumped or parried her kicks.

Yang leaped up and delivered two hard, fast kicks he blocked. She landed and dropped down to sweep his legs, but he jumped up. She recovered first as he landed, and lunged!

He again dodged, and then struck back furiously in her style. She parried with some jabs and bobbed and weaved.

Finally, she saw him overextend a punch. She grinned ferally as she lunged.

"GOTCHAAAHHH?!"

He dropped and in a single motion, grabbed her wrist, swept her forward foot, and pushed on her shoulder from behind. She saw floor, students, and then ceiling before she was slammed down with a yelp as he slammed his fist into her stomach and her Aura flared.

"GAH!"

"Yang!" Jaune shouted.

Her Semblance dissipated, as Lycan stood over her. He held out a hand, and she frowned before she took it and let him pull her up.

"Semblances that boost your power, speed, and other physical attributes when you get hit, or get mad, can turn the tide in a fight," Lycan said, "Xiao-Long here could probably punch her way through a herd of Ursa in that state without any issue. But! You gotta be careful about agile enemies, and more importantly? Smart enemies. If you lose your head, they won't. Learn to master the power in all situations, and it'll be a boon, not a weakness."

He nodded.

"Step on down, Xiao-Long."

"Y-yeah, thanks," Yang managed. She walked slowly, as the pain from the final hit was still aching deep in her guts. Jaune frowned.

"You okay?" He muttered.

"Just my pride, Crybaby," Yang managed. "You got more of that-?"

Jaune produced the bottle of ache-soothing lotion. Yang grinned.

"Hahaha... Guess I got... Schooled, huh? Hahaha-Oh it hurts to laugh..."

"Right, Ren? Get up here," Lycan ordered. Ren stood up and walked calmly up in front of the class. Lycan nodded.

"Central Mistralian Kung-Fu, am I right?"

"Yes sir," Ren replied evenly.

"Also, self-taught Aura projection technique?"

"Yes sir."

"All right. Hit me."

Ren didn't even hesitate, throwing an open palm strike at Lycan's face in an attempt to break his nose. Lycan slapped the strike away, as their Auras flared out of their hands. Ren threw another strike, a punch, a feint, advancing on his feet like he was skating. Lycan threw some palm strikes and punches right back, Ren also slapping them away.

With every touch, Aura crackled from their hands-Lycan's a burning gold, Ren's a bright pink.

Ren kept dodging around, throwing hits back at Lycan. They scored some strikes here and there on eachother's extremities, but nothing serious. Jaune rubbed the lotion into Yang's stomach, and she sighed in relief.

"Thanks, that's a lot better..."

Lycan then abruptly changed styles, throwing fierce, reckless strikes with his elbows and knees, along with punches and kicks. Ren, taken off guard, was forced onto the defensive. He tried to change his style a bit, but Lycan switched again-Now he staggered about recklessly, like he was drunk and furious, moving in completely unpredictable ways!

Ren did a flip over Lycan's head to try and grab his shoulders, but Lycan grabbed his hands first and surged his Aura. He slammed Ren down to the mat, the usually stoic boy yelping in surprise.

"All right, all right," Lycan nodded, as Ren lay on the ground, "That was good, Ren. Your style is so refined, so perfected, you could fight like that in your sleep. You keep your Aura tightly controlled." He swung his arms around with a wince before he held his hand out to Ren.

"I am definitely gonna be feeling that," he grunted. "Now... Can anyone tell the class why Ren lost?"

Yang's hand shot up.

"Xiao-Long?"

"Because you kept changing up your styles," Yang explained, "Muay-Thai, Drunken Boxing, and Judo. And Ren's locked into his."

Lycan nodded.

"Ren?"

"I concur," Ren stated calmly, "Your shifting fighting styles caught me off guard, and forced me onto the defensive. I tried to take to the air where I thought I would have the advantage, but you most likely anticipated that."

"I did," Lycan said with a wolfy grin, "Now, not saying you gotta drop your style and start working on others right now. You're well on your way to mastery of your art, and it's damn good. But, you gotta be aware that thinking enemies will change up their tactics and fighting styles to counter yours. Fighting with a team reduces the risk of getting outmatched like that, but never be afraid to have some trump cards. Something unexpected, even as simple as Dust canisters to use as flashbangs. Go sit down."

Ren walked back to Yang and Jaune, and sat down next to them. Yang grinned.

"Wow! You were doing great there, Ren!"

"Yes, it was a useful lesson," Ren said with a nod.

"He means he enjoyed it," Jaune deadpanned.

"I thought I said that?"

Yang and Jaune snickered.

"ARC! Get up here!"

"Oh crap," Jaune groaned. Yang grinned and clapped him on the back.

"Go get 'im, Tiger!"

"Thanks," Jaune sighed. He got up and walked to the front of the class. Lycan looked Jaune up and down.

"You're a sword and board guy, right Arc?"

"Yes sir."

"Got a lot of Aura and stamina?"

"I-I guess?"

"Heard you used pressure points on Winchester."

Jaune shrugged.

"Ah, from my medical training-"

"Hit me."

Jaune sucked in a deep breath, and put up his fists.

"All right!"

He swung... Lycan parried and slammed a fist into Jaune's gut. He coughed but managed to stay on his feet. He spat at Lycan's face, and swung again. Lycan dodged out of the way and landed another hit on Jaune that he barely blocked... Before Lycan swung a kick into his stomach again.

"GACK!"

"Come on, come on!" Lycan growled. Jaune saw red. He swung furiously, his Aura burning from his fists... But Lycan dodged or slapped away every hit and delivered more strikes on Jaune.

His knees hurt, his stomach screamed in pain... He kept going, determined to not look like a loser!

Lycan tried to trap his arm to Judo throw him, but Jaune swung his head at Lycan's. Lycan, grinning, swung his head right back.

WHACK!

Jaune saw stars as his Aura flared. He got his arms back up as Lycan pummeled him. Jaune again tried to swing and threw out kicks, but it all felt like flailing as he hit nothing. Finally, he got a punch right to his stomach, and his knees wouldn't cooperate anymore. He fell down, hard.

His Aura surged to heal him, as he looked up weakly at Lycan. The professor reached down, and Jaune took his hand. He was pulled to his feet, gasping for breath.

"All right... Good determination," Lycan said with a nod, "When you're up against a better opponent, and you can't afford to stay down? You stay on your feet and try whatever you can. You never give up..." He shook his head. "But you need a fuckton of work, Arc. You can throw around a LOT of power, but it won't matter if you can't land a hit."

"R-Right," Jaune managed. Lycan clapped Jaune on the shoulder (which hurt), and nodded.

"Step on down, Arc."

Jaune staggered over to the worried Yang and concerned Ren. Yang helped Jaune as he sat down.

"You okay?"

"Y-Yeah," Jaune managed.

"Don't feel discouraged," Ren said, "You kept going through hits that would probably have taken us down much sooner."

"Good to know you're tough," Yang said with a grin.

"Or too stupid to know when to quit," Jaune groaned, searching for his water bottle in his messenger bag as another student fought Lycan.

"That can be an asset as well," Ren said. Yang beamed brilliantly as Jaune found his water bottle, and unscrewed it.

"Besides, look on the bright side!"

"What?" Jaune asked, tipping back the water bottle.

"You'll get me to massage that pain killing lotion all over your body~."

Jaune spewed his drink.

"Seriously Yang?!"

The blonde cackled... Then held her own stomach.

"Haha... Still hurts to laugh... Worth it...!"

- - -

Twenty-Two
- - -

"Is this really necessary?" Weiss asked, sipping some tea in a nice Mistralian-style cafe only a few block's distance from Allerleirauh. While not quite up to her usual standards, the tea shop was nevertheless quite nice in a rustic sort of way.

Pyrrha was all smiles as she also sipped her tea on the other side of the large table that she, Nora, Ren, and the rest of RWBY were congregated around on the sidewalk. People went to and fro, as did cars. They faded into the not unpleasant background din of a busy city on the weekend, with the nice warm sun shining down upon them.

"Whatever do you mean, Weiss? You and Jaune have both said I need to socialize more," she said, her tone slightly strained, "So I decided to take us all out for tea! Ren, how is your blend?"

"Adequate, though I prefer my own take on chai," Ren said.

Nora scowled at her stack of circular pastries.

"These aren't pancakes!"

"They're from an island nation near Mistral. Fujin is the name, I believe," Ren said patiently, "They're a type of pancake."

"Hnnnn, I don't know," Nora said dubiously, poking the tall pastries, "They're too thick for pancakes!"

"I like 'em!" Ruby said cheerfully, tearing through a stack of them slathered in syrup and whipped cream.

"You would," Yang chuckled, as Blake scowled out across the street next to her.

"They're made souffle style," Ren said, "If you like them, I'll try to reproduce the recipe for you."

Nora hummed, still poking at her stack.

"Well... As long as they're not crepes," Nora scoffed, "I hate crepes! Crepes are evil!"

"See?" Pyrrha said with a beam, "We're bonding as a team! I'm learning so much! I would love to try your tea blends, Ren! And your pancakes... If Nora is all right with it?"

"Hmmm," Nora hummed, "Pancake sharing might be a command decision. Maybe we should ask Jaune."

"Well he is in the diner right across the street," Weiss sighed. She pointed it out. Jaune was visible in a large window, sitting in a booth with Mint pressed against him. Across the table sat his uncle Alex, who was talking up a storm judging by how his arms gesticulated.

Pyrrha and Ruby both tried to fake being surprised.

"Why! So he is!" Pyrrha giggled. "What a coincidence!"

"Yeah! Totally a coincidence!" Ruby added.

Weiss rolled her eyes.

"Look, we're just a little concerned about his 'Uncle Alex,'" Ruby said, making finger quotes. "Blake agreed with me-!"

"That's a point in your favor-"

"And so did Pyrrha!" Ruby emphasized.

"And there the point goes," Weiss sighed.

"You can't tell me that-that sleazy man isn't out to harm Jaune! Or that that little... person is legit!" Pyrrha cried. "Not with how she's hanging all over him!"

"They're totally shifty! I can tell!" Ruby insisted, leaning forward over her plate of pancakes. Nora was busy committing a warcrime against table manners as she eagerly devoured her own stack, but everyone was immune to this by now.

Ruby looked to Yang.

"Come on Yang, back me up! You saw how nervous Jaune was acting!"

Yang shrugged.

"So his 'Uncle Alex' is a little shifty," Yang said, "Jaune's got issues with his family. It's natural for him to be nervous. It doesn't mean Jaune's in any danger."

"How can you say that with that-that-little gremlin hanging all over him?!" Pyrrha snarled, stabbing her pancakes in irritation. Yang couldn't help her smirk.

"Well, I know he'd never stray from me," Yang chuckled, "After all, we've got a date... And he kicked you out of his bed."

Pyrrha's smile became truly terrifying, as the metal forks at their table began to bend.

"Oh? You think just because you're going on a platonic date with him you're better than me?" Pyrrha laughed without any warmth.

"Uh, guys?" Weiss tried.

"I've got more than you do," Yang hissed smugly, her eyes turning red and her hair glowing.

"But how will you go on your date if you've broken your arms?" Pyrrha grinned.

Yang's own grin became terrifying, as she slammed her fists together with an ominous boom.

"How will you interfere if your jaw is broken?"

"HEY!" Ruby shouted, standing up and bonking them both on the head. "KNOCK IT OFF!"

"Owwww!" Both girls whined. Ruby huffed.

"Geez... Professor Ozpin was right! I do have to have a strong hand to lead!"

"I don't think that's what he meant," Weiss pointed out.

"It works for Jaune!" Ruby argued.

Weiss sipped her tea, looked over the two teams, and shrugged.

"I suppose I can't dispute that point."

"Look," Ren said, "While I agree that Jaune's uncle does seem untrustworthy, I couldn't detect any killing intent from him. I'm very good at picking that up."

"Yeah!" Nora cheered. "He can pick up all sorts of emotions and hints. Though some he never acts upon..."

"In any case," Ren said quickly, "Jaune can take care of himself."

Ruby grimaced.

"But I know I've seen that guy before!"

"Honestly, I always thought Arc was shifty," Weiss huffed, "It makes sense at least one of his relatives gives off that same air of scumbag. It had to come from somewhere. Right Blake?"

"Hm? Right," Blake nodded, her eyes narrowed, "I do agree that keeping an eye on them is probably a good idea though."

"Can you tell us why?" Weiss asked.

Blake stared intensely at Weiss, then looked away.

"No."

"That's helpful," Weiss muttered.

"Hello!"

The entire table looked up. A girl with her red hair up in a pink dress beamed at them. She wore a tan apron-like dress with a lighter tan undershirt, all covered in green markings. Ruby slowly waved.

"Hello?"

"I am Penny Polendina! I am combat ready!" Penny greeted them with a wide, cheerful smile. Her green eyes lit up. "You are students at Beacon, correct?"

"Uh, yeah, we are," Ruby said with a nod.

"I am a transfer student from Atlas, here for the Vytal Festival!" Penny continued in that same cheerful tone, "I was told that I should go out and make friends my own age! I am friendship ready! Would you like to be friends?"

"Uhhhh..." Ruby glanced around the table. Pyrrha was smiling awkwardly. Nora grinned happily. Ren was carefully stoic. Blake, Weiss, and Yang were smiling but subtly shaking their heads and pleading with their eyes.

"... Surrrre!" Ruby said with a smile, as her team held back groans. "Pull up a chair! We'd love to get to know you, wouldn't we?"

Many non-committal sounds were made. Penny grabbed a chair, and held it up.

"I have pulled up the chair! Now what do I do with it?"

Ruby kept up her smile, even as her eyebrow twitched.

Oh boy... Please, let this be the last weird thing I have to deal with today, please?

- - -

Jaune sighed as he sat back against the faux leather of the boothseat. Neo cuddled up to his side as she played with his hair. His hamburger remained untouched in front of him, as Roman sat across with a greasy smile.

"Got yourself a little harem, I see," Roman observed with a nod, "Good on you, Kid. It's a bit risky but given how tough you are-"

"They're not my harem," Jaune sighed, "And it's... Not terrible to see you two again? But I'm guessing this isn't a social call."

"Well, it kind of is," Roman said, "But you can mix business with pleasure at times."

"How is this pleasant?" Jaune deadpanned. Neo beamed, and nuzzled him. "Seriously, quit that."

"Neo's quite attached to you," Roman chuckled, "And I ain't pulled out the shotgun yet?"

"Why don't you just cut to the chase?" Jaune asked wearily. Roman nodded.

"Right... To the point. You've gotten a bit of a reputation, Kid. The Raggedy Knight is on the verge of becoming a folk hero."

"And...?"

"And it would be unfortunate for many people if the news that the Raggedy Knight was a student at Beacon got out," Roman stated bluntly, "People like you."

Before all this, Jaune would probably have been shaking in his boots at this. Now, he just rolled his eyes.

"Oh yeah, because Roman Torchwick would have zero motive to lie! The Gentleman Thief is sooo trustworthy!"

"You've developed a nice flair for sarcasm, Kid," Roman chuckled, "I like it... But don't push it. In all honesty, I don't want you dead or in trouble. Not really. I actually kind of like you. Neo likes you, Gods know why. So-"

"What do you want?" Jaune asked, again sounding very tired. Roman scowled.

"Come on, let me have a little dramatic flourish! A little mystery! A little anticipation to build the audience up-?"

"Roman!"

"All right, all right, geez, kids today," Roman sighed. "I need you to do me a favor while you're in Beacon."

"I'm not selling drugs."

"HEY! Roman Torchwick doesn't deal dope!" Roman growled, shaking his finger, "I am a respectable gentleman thief and mobster! Sure, I get a cut from the drug trade, but it's under my rules!"

"I'm not killing anyone, either."

"Don't want that either."

"I'm not helping you kidnap or steal anything-"

"Kid!"

"I'm not some flunky you can just order around!" Jaune growled. Roman grit his teeth... And let out a puff of air through his nostrils. Neo waved her face with a grin.

"Again, you're lucky I like you, Kid," Roman sighed, "Look. All I want is information. A... Business associate of mine is going to be at Beacon soon. I want to know what she's up to."

"Why? She your girlfriend or something?" Jaune asked dryly. Roman sighed with a melancholy smile.

"More like she's the worst ex I never had. She's got her own business going on, but we're... Partners."

"But you don't know what she's doing?" Jaune asked slowly. Roman shrugged, taking a bite from his potroast and potatoes.

"That's the way the game works, Kid. We all got our own agendas. Mine is fairly straightforward-Make money, be the stylish and devilishly handsome King of the Underworld. Her game? Don't know it. But every bit of information I have on her helps me figure it out."

"Will you use it to kill her?" Jaune asked, his eyes narrowed. Roman laughed, a tortured thing lacking his usual confidence.

"Believe me Kid, if I could, I would," he said. Neo looked at Roman in worry. Jaune blinked.

"What... What kind of a person-?"

"The less you know, the better, for now anyway," Roman said quickly, his old spark back in his eyes, "Just uh... Try to act like the goofy, wet behind ears doofus you probably were before all of this around her... And don't cross her. Ever."

Jaune frowned.

"I don't know-"

"Whatever she wants, it's big," Roman said calmly, "Big and bad. I ain't got the full picture yet... But if it's big enough, then it's in both our best interests to figure it out together, right?"

"Why go to all this trouble though?" Jaune asked.

"Me and Neo are hoping to turn over a new leaf, ya know," Roman chuckled, "Be more of the 'gentle' type of thief. The lovable rogues!"

"Uh huh," Jaune nodded slowly, "And the actual reason?"

Roman was silent. Neo frowned, and went still. Jaune frowned.

"You... Are you... Afraid, Roman?"

Roman looked back up at Jaune, and scoffed.

"Pfft. Me? Scared? HA! Like hell," Roman laughed, "Nah... I'm just playing the game, and I'm using all the pieces I've got available to me. Look, I'll even make it worth your while-"

"I'm not taking money from a crook."

"It'll all come from my legit businesses! Can't an uncle spoil his nephew a little? Besides," Roman said, eating more pot roast, "If I was playing hardball, I could always just call your mother-"

"Okay okay okay!" Jaune hissed, waving his arms around, "Fine! I'll keep an eye out! Just keep her out of this, all right?!"

"Huh," Roman observed, "Should have gone with that approach first."

Neo scowled at him. Roman shook his head.

"All right, all right," he sighed, "I won't be rough on your boyfriend!"

"I'm not her boyfriend," Jaune stated. Neo scowled, and signed something to him.

"No I'm not their boyfriend either!" Jaune stated, pointing out the window at his friends obviously spying on him from the café across the street. Neo signed some more.

"No you can't kill them off to make sure!"

Neo hummed silently in thought... Then signed something with a saucy grin. Jaune went bright red.

"No you can't break them into my sex slave harem! What is wrong with you?!"

"I'd take that offer, kid," Roman said with a smirk, "You ain't gonna get anything better."

"Didn't you once say you never quit trying to find a new angle?" Jaune demanded. Roman laughed, and shook his head.

"Yeah, but whoever coined that little phrase never met her." He got up, and left some lien on the table. "Neo's exchanged our contact info. We'll be in touch."

Neo beamed, and nuzzled Jaune. The raggedy knight sighed heavily.

"Neo, look, I like you. You're probably one of my favorite crazy violent girls, but I don't date crazy violent girls."

Neo looked affronted.

"And yet," Roman smirked, "That's the only kind of chick you attract, ain't that right?"

Jaune held up a finger, took a deep breath, opened his mouth...

And sagged a bit.

"Okay... Yeah... Mostly," he muttered.

Neo kissed Jaune on the cheek. Roman waved his hand towards Jaune.

"There you go. Better to just accept it and move on with your life."

Jaune snorted.

"I've got a platonic date with a girl who isn't craz... Vio... She's less crazy and violent than the others?"

"Sure Kid, whatever you say," Roman chuckled.

- - -

"Neo, look, I like you. You're probably one of my favorite crazy violent girls, but I don't date crazy violent girls."

Neo looked affronted.

"And yet," Roman smirked, "That's the only kind of chick you attract, ain't that right?"

Jaune held up a finger, took a deep breath, opened his mouth...

And sagged a bit.

"Okay... Yeah... Mostly," he muttered.
Does this mean that this Jaune won't be a MILF magnet in a couple of years?

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back