1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Shipping It Stargate Style [Worm/Stargate]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by TCGM, Aug 22, 2018.

1. P90Techie

P90Techie Not too sore, are you?

Love it! Subscribed. I do wonder how quickly she is going to rise with the amount of power she has.

2. Xero Key

Xero Key Well worn.

Yu is the one who sticks out in my mind, the others getting mentions. That may be the reason it was never brought up actually, because him not knowing some of his subjects could Ascend is stretching disbelief.

3. meridian

meridian Getting sticky.

Doesn't the Odyssey have a cloaking device? Does this mean that Taylor can turn invisible?

RichardWhereat likes this.
  4. Xero Key

Xero Key Well worn.

This specific version has a Quantum Phase device. When Taylor is “invisible”, it would be more accurate to say she doesn’t exist in normal reality.

Darman Skirata and meridian like this.
  5. Fencer

Fencer Weaponized Randomness

Would that make her weapons more effective against Endbringers or are the two forms of dimensional displacement non compatible?

6. meridian

meridian Getting sticky.

Does that mean that when she is invisible, she is out of phase like those Reetou from Stargate? Can she still perceive normal reality and move through it when she is out of phase with normal reality?

7. Xero Key

Xero Key Well worn.

Exactly like that. I’m not sure what the Oddy’s limit was to pass thrpugh objects, but the reason SG1 is even in this situation is because they couldn’t activate the phase fast enough when they dropped the dilation field.

To put succinctly: Legend could be going full speed and would never know he passed through her.

Darman Skirata and meridian like this.
  8. TCGM

TCGM (Unverified God/Space Snek)

Oh she's having a breakdown right now. When she sees a new ZPM grow out of seemingly nothing? That will be star-system-shattering worthy.

Just imagine Samantha Carter... triggering.

I'll take the math into account when I get to that point. Your formula looks pretty good. Though I should probably adjust it based on the various species... otherwise, well, as you said; Atlantis.

I'm not using 'are they hyperspace capable' as the definition of what makes a ship a ship. It's a bit more metaphysical than that.

Thanks!

Well I'm not a navy nerd so I can't really get in deep to this discussion. Sadly. Most of my old navy knowhow comes from WoWs and the research needed to understand wth KanColle is talking about.

ZPMs are immensely useful and incredible storage mediums... but they're too high tech to be single charge. I don't buy it. Even if the Alterans created them.

I maintain that they must be reinitialized somehow. Also, Newton's laws? Literally all the Alterans: "Who's Newton?"

Because the creators of Stargate are American.

As another American, I am unfortunately lost now.

My only comment on the rest of the discussion is that as poly-lingual as Daniel is, he is still an Egyptologist. He's not trained in Eastern archeology or history. Whatever he shows later on is clearly research he has performed during the series.

I will simply say that the Ancients have a section on TVTropes' Flawed Precursors page dedicated to them and these Eastern deities, do not.

Once she feels she has a handle on the utter overwhelming lethality of her new power, most likely. Also, welcome to my cracky corner of Writerspace!

Yu and quite a few other Eastern deities are apparently Gou'ald in the SGVerse.

Also... who says he didn't know some of his subjects could ascend? Maybe he let them go. He's never been recorded to be an enemy of Oma or any other Ancient, and he was a pretty swell dude. For an evil space snake.

The Odyssey has a Cloak and a Phase device. She can literally phase out of existence. Eat your heart out, Scion.

If she is using the phase device here, yes. The normal cloak would be physical though.

When something is out of phase, it might as well not exist as far as the normal universe is concerned. This is a science the Shards seem to either have never come across or are unable to utilize.

Depends what level of phasing. Full phase, she can observe but not be observed, nor can she be interacted with. The ultimate spy tool.

This^

Incoming update, people!

meridian and Fencer like this.
  9. Threadmarks: Chapter 3 - Go For Launch
    TCGM

Shipping It Stargate Style
    Chapter 3
    Go for Launch

Taylor gazed up at the night sky. It was a deep blue, almost black. The view was immensely pretty. Her new eyes, her sensors, were just so incredibly... powerful. Every shade of every color was visible to her.

And some that weren't colors.

She... could see the entire electromagnetic spectrum! The additions to her sight turned the normally dim night sky into a kaleidoscopic vista of beauty and elegance.

Such an amazing view. Way better than her old eyes.

The ones that needed glasses.

Taylor raised a hand to her face and pressed against the bridge of her nose as if she was adjusting a pair of the vision correcting optics.

But she wasn't.

Taylor didn't need them anymore.

A small perk of her merge with the Odyssey that she just couldn't get over. Compared to everything else it didn't even rate mentioning… yet she couldn't stop marvelling at that simple little difference.

The lack of glasses, of the need for them, was like a shock of cold water to her system. It hammered home just how unlike her previous human existence she now was.

Another deceptively simple difference was her visual range. Now Taylor could see every star in the sky. Every nebula. Hell, every photon coming in from the far off celestial bodies. It almost felt as if she could reach out… and grab them.

She suddenly realized she had reached towards the heavens with a hand and attempted to cup what she knew to be Alpha Centauri. The part of her that was the Odyssey was anxious to return to her home environment.

“Heh,” she snickered, shaking her head. “Soon. Atmosphere first, then a galactic tour. Baby steps Taylor. Baby steps.” She consoled herself with the fact that, eventually, after she had gotten a handle on her new life, she would allow herself a vacation. Amongst the black.

But that was in the future. Taylor had a set of powers that desperately needed calibration for her new body’s configuration. She had been winging it till now, but a single moment of lapsed attention was all it would take for her to accidentally flare her sublight engines too hard and cut a building, much less an enemy cape, in half.

If they survived at all.

Her actual weapons were so hilariously lethal at her new scale it was almost worthless to think of them. They were designed to destroy starcraft, not wipe the floor with any and all of the comparatively very, very squishy capes. Which they would most certainly do.

Taylor from before would have said that the Endbringers or Scion would give her pause. She even believed, for a moment, that she could hear the downtrodden commentary of her former self.

She wasn't sure she would agree with that now.

Even if her weapons proved to be ineffective upon them, which given the damage the Endbringers kept suffering at the hands of powers that were barely firecrackers compared was unlikely, there were a lot of black holes in the Milky Way alone. And she had a Hyperdrive.

Taylor really wasn't interested in killing people on accident. On purpose, though? …Well, there were some people that had to be removed to produce a better future. She was ready to take their lives if she had to, certainly.

But nobody else.

Unless they were the Endbringers. Those monsters deserved everything and anything she could deliver. If they were even people at all...

That was a definite change from her pathos as Taylor. She was ready to do what had to be done. Take down those that deserved it, eliminate acceptable targets. Defend the innocent and brutally put down any oppressors she might come across.

It was the mindset of a soldier.

Fitting, really, for she was now a military vessel. It felt… right.

Just like the rest of her.

Unlike her previous worries she knew it wasn't a case of her becoming Mastered. Her new existence was the blended result of essentially two people. Taylor, and the Odyssey.

Of course her mindset would change. Hell, it had already changed. She didn't curse this much before even in her own head, and she wasn't really as calculating, or hyper-observant, as now. Taylor felt she was ready for battle at any time, any place, and assured she could win handily.

It was something beyond confidence. She was entirely certain of herself and her capabilities. They were both hard fact.

Taylor, who hadn't been confident in years, reveled in the feeling.

Still, she needed to take those capabilities for a full test drive. She had the perfect place to run herself through her paces, too. There really was only one close by area available with the lack of possible collateral damage she required. She needed to develop safeguards for the techniques of… starship girl, name tentative, combat.

Even as much as it pained her ship half, Taylor would have to use the Boat Graveyard to conduct her examinations.

It's not like those old boats were doing anything else anyways. They were probably insane from boredom, pain, and sorrow. If they were alive like she was then she would be putting them out of their misery. If not, it wouldn't matter.

No ship wanted to feel unwanted. That, Taylor was certain of. Odyssey might not have formed a mind, but her soul was there, and so were her instincts.

Now they were Taylor's instincts. And she would feel hopeless if she wasn't wanted.

The less said about how she had been bullied, and its effects on her self worth as Taylor, the better.

Taylor?” Vala spoke into her intercom.

Taylor most certainly did not jump. She was a professional.

Sorry,” the ex thief managed to get out over her chuckling and the klanging red alert system Taylor had activated on instinct.

Over in her aft hangar Sam and Cam were startled out of their review of her suspiciously full complement of F-302 Aerospace Superiority Fighters. “Oddy-” Sam began, before she realized what she was saying. “Taylor, turn that off!

Taylor left it on a few more seconds just to needle the scientist.

I was thinking. Vala startled me. Sorry Sam, Cam,” she apologized over the intercom in her hangar.

Sam waved her off and dug her nose back into the diagnostics. “This doesn't make any sense…” she mumbled.

Yeah, because becoming a ship from another universe totally did.

Taylor shook her head and chuckled.

No worries Taylor, we're all still getting used to this,” Cam reassured her.

Taylor found herself smiling. Hey, an attractive guy was trying to make her feel better. It was nice. So what if that guy was a little smaller than normal and inside her…

The brand new starship girl blushed at the route her thoughts had taken. She shook her head to clear it of anything remotely lewd. “Thanks, Cam.

No problem. We're a team. Just… with the ship on it too.

He was taking everything remarkably well, Taylor noted. She turned her attention to finding Daniel to apologize to him too… but she found he literally hadn't noticed. He was back in the Asgard Presentation Room and his head might as well have been underwater for all she could to to reach him.

Taylor couldn't help herself. She snorted with amusement at, as Jack O'Neill frequently called him within her hull, her Spacemonkey's antics.

Yes, Vala?” she finally asked the original cause of this whole series of mishaps.

Vala but her lip and shifted her eyes around for a few moments. Finally she sighed. “What does it… feel like?” she asked hesitantly.

Taylor blinked. “What does what feel like?” she asked in return.

Being a ship.

Oh. “...Oh.

She had to think about that for a little bit. What did being her… feel like?

Freeing. Amazing. Incredible! Confidence she lacked in her human life was now hers, she was possibly one of the most powerful people on her planet, and she… she just felt right, in a way she hadn't ever felt before.

I dunno, Vala, it's…” she began, tailing off. “It's hard to describe.

Vala smiled in a knowing way, patting Taylor's hull plate next to the intercom she was using. “That’s okay. I get it.” She tried, but the disappointment was evident in her voice.

No, no! I'm.. just trying to find a way to express it,” Taylor insisted, cutting off Vala's incoming and infamous pout. “It's… like nothing I've ever felt before. Heh, obviously, but still. I feel… free, and right, and just so many other things at the same time. I'm confident now. I feel powerful. The thrum of my engines and my reactors flows throughout my body at the same time as I feel my pulse. My shields tickle as they touch and filter the atmosphere. My engines slightly flare every time I take a step. I see beyond anything I ever have, even as I can see the normal world, too. It's… liberating, compared to being human.

Vala nodded, her face brightening up. “It sounds incredible,” she said.

It is.

Vala nodded again and deftly caressed Taylor's hull for a moment. “Thanks for telling me, Taylor,” the ex thief said. “I don't know how long it might take for the others to fully understand this new situation, what with you being our ship and all, but I'm here if you ever need someone to talk to.

That brought warmth flooding through Taylor. She shivered a bit despite it not being cold. Those words… they resonated somewhere deep within her very being.

Our ship.

T-Thanks, Vala,” Taylor replied, trying to keep the stuttering out of her voice.

You're welcome.” A final tender pat on her hull and Vala was off down the hallway, presumably to the mess hall to grab something to eat.

Taylor hastily and almost automatically checked her food stores. After over half a century her admittedly quite expansive cargo bays dedicated to food storage were likely almost empty despite how much they normally held.

Wait… what?

They were… full?

That was odd. Taylor distinctly remembered them running out soon, back when she was The Odyssey only.

...On further thought, Taylor hadn't felt hungry at all since she escaped the Locker. She was in there all day, and after 60 years the Odyssey should also be really low on fuel… which apparently equated each other in her new existence, somehow...

So why wasn't she hungry?

A quick check of her Naquadriah storage found it to be completely, totally full, too.

Okay, this was starting to get weird.

Any weirder than turning into a starship? No, but still weird.

On a hunch, Taylor started checking everything.

Her Naquadriah generators were nearly full. It seemed like they had only used enough fuel to match the time since she became a ship.

Her ammo magazines for all types of weaponry were full. From the complete stock of every mark of nuclear missile, to the naquadah fuel in the limited Goa'uld weapons she had on board, all the way down to the last gun's internal magazine in her armory, it was all completely full.

And… so was her ZPM.

What.

Hold up, since when did she have a ZPM on board? The Asgard Neutrino Ion Generators had been used to power the temporal bubble in her home universe. She knew she wasn't deployed to Orilla with one of that humanity's very tiny supply of very drained Ancient power sources on board, much less a completely full one!

What the fuck!

Sam,” she spoke up in her hangar, “I've discovered something… possibly alarming, but mostly just very very weird.

Sam jolted up from her code inspection. “Yes Taylor? What's wrong?

I have a full, literally full, ZPM plugged in.

Sam stared at the ceiling of her hangar for way longer than she should have.

Excuse me?” Cam said.

Come again?” Sam asked, at the same time.

Both sounded completely disbelieving.

Yeah, I don't believe it either. But that is what my systems tell me,” Taylor insisted.

Maybe something went wrong in whatever the process that turned you into… you, was,” Sam reasoned.

I can see inside myself with my sensors, Sam, but I would appreciate you two taking a look,” Taylor said. She managed to keep herself from allowing the sudden trembling that had taken over her body from affecting her voice.

Sam pulled her tablet's leads out of the computer core of the Drone 302. “We're on our way.

You've been quiet for too long,” Taylor stated. She was worried.

Cam and Sam had entered the auxiliary power source room off Taylor's Main Engineering, took one look at the glowing yellow crystal in its socket, and proceeded to do nothing more than stare at it with disbelief.

That's impossible,” Sam finally announced.

So it's real? “ Taylor asked. “My sensors aren't wrong?

Can hesitantly, slowly, reached forward. He first poked the ZPM, gently, then tapped it, and finally laid his hand on top. One pat of its head was clearly all he could take, because he pulled his hand back as of it was burnt.

Oh yeah,” he sarcastically confirmed, “it's real.”

Sam brought a hand to the side of her head and began massaging her temple. Clearly she had a headache from the sheer impossibility. “And it's full?” she asked Taylor.

That's what my power system reports, yes,” Taylor agreed.

I thought Earth didn't have a full one of these,” Cam brought up.

We don't… didn't,” Sam confirmed. “And even if we somehow did, it wouldn't be on the Odyssey.

It's not just the ZPM, Sam,” Taylor revealed, grimacing.

Sam blinked, looked up at the ceiling, and frowned. “What do you mean, Taylor?

I'm full. Completely.

Sam furrowed her eyebrows. “Wha-?

Naquadriah, my reactors, food stores, missiles, railgun ordnance, a full complement of Mark I all the way through Mark IX Naquadah and Naquadriah enhanced fission devices, quite a few Horizon platforms, and at least eight of something my sensors yelled at me as stupidly classified that look suspiciously like your prototype Mark X warheads,” Taylor listed off. “Hell, even my food stores, the liquid naquadah in the staff weapons, and the fucking last bullet of the last damned gun in my armories are full!

Sam just stood there, staring at nothing in wide eyed disbelief.

Okay,” Cam commented, “even I know that's impossible.

I don't think my sensors are at fault Cam,” Taylor refuted. “There's this… you two are gonna think I'm crazy.

Seeing as Sam was still attempting to process Taylor's dump of ludicrous information, Can fielded the conversation. “Any crazier than turning into a ship from a human?

Taylor sighed, shaking her head. “Maybe.

Like Sam said earlier, all of us are learning about our new situation. The more we know the better we can figure out what to do,” Cam calmly explained.

Taylor breathed in deep. She exhaled, then nodded her head decisively. “Okay. This is gonna sound insane, but… I feel full, Cam, Sam.

Cam's eyebrows rose. “What do you mean?” he asked.

Just what I said. I feel full,” Taylor repeated. “I'm not hungry. At all.

Cam blinked. “...And?

Taylor huffed with irritation. “Cam, I was locked in my locker without food, throwing up, for hours. I should be feeling some kind of hunger.

Cam's eyebrows rose even higher as he realized what she meant. “Oh. But you don't.

But I don't. And it seems like I'm completely full in almost literally every way a ship can be. Fuel, weapons, stocks, auxiliary addons. I even have an extra flight of 302s in my secondary bays.

Realization struck Cam then. “You think the two are related somehow?

Taylor nodded. “It fits. Somehow. Feels accurate to my ship instincts too.

Cam looked back down from the ceiling, then at Sam, and back to the ceiling. “Ship instincts, huh? Maybe. That's something we’ll have to test.” He moved a hand in front of Sam's face and waved.

The resident astrophysicist snapped out of her unfocused state so fast that if Taylor wasn't a ship she'd have gotten whiplash. “Don't do that!” Sam exclaimed, smacking Cam's hand away.

Immediately afterwards she groaned and held her head. “My head's killing me,” she groaned.

Cam frowned while Taylor instantly became worried. He didn't even have to open his mouth.

The medbay is also completely stocked. Go.

Cam nodded and put an arm around Sam to support her. “Come on Sam. Let's get you checked out.”

And while the two of them trundled down Taylor's hallways… all she could do was worry.

Thankfully the scans showed nothing wrong with Sam. The stress of so much illogical, worldview defying bullshit finally just made her brain decide it had enough.

Taylor understood the feeling. If she didn't have the confidence and surety of self from her Odyssey half, she'd lose it too.

Sorry for the pain, Sam,” Taylor apologized.

Sam waved her off with the hand that wasn't holding the ice pack to her head. “Don't worry about it. None of this is your fault.”

Taylor smiled at that. “Thanks.”

Not that I'm against discovering a lot more highly interesting things while we sit in the same spot all night,” Vala interrupted over the intercom, “but maybe standing outside the sight of such wanton destruction until some kind of authorities arrive to arrest is for it isn't the brightest of ideas?

Sam and Cam looked at each other. Cam shrugged and Sam winced.

She has a point,” Sam admitted.

Cam sighed. “I know. Taylor, we should get out of here.
    Taylor felt like she could be happy no matter where she was or what she was doing as long as she had her crew to talk to, but relented nonetheless. She still had those tests to get to. “You're right,” she grudgingly agreed. “As much as I don't like the idea of it, you're right, and so is Vala. Moreover I need to figure out how to fight in this new form.

Cam raised his eyebrows. “Why? Last time I checked, this is Earth. Maybe not our Earth, but a starship is overkill for any domestic problems.

Taylor scoffed. “Be that as it may, I cannot end up killing those I fight because of it. I need new safeguards. The ones from my ship form ate worthless at my new size.

Who could you possibly be fighting?

Enemy capes.

That time it wasn't just Cam who asked. “What?” Sam asked along with him. “Capes? Like, superheroes?”

And villains,” Taylor confirmed.

Sam looked at Can with disbelief. He mirrored her look. After a couple of seconds, Cam cracked a grin and looked at the ceiling once more. “Nice one, Taylor. You got us. I have to admit, first time I've been pranked by a starship, but you got us.

Taylor remained silent as she walked around, looking for a good spot to lift off from.

Her lack of a response said everything.

Cam's grin evaporated from his face. Sam groaned with defeat, sagged to the medical bed, and just put her hands over her eyes.

You've got to be kidding,” Cam exclaimed. Almost pleading.

Nope,” Taylor denied. She looked at the sky and plotted the cloud cover so she could enter into it when she got high enough.

Your Earth has SUPERHEROES?!

And supervillains. And Endbringers,” Taylor continued to inform them.

Sam's only response was a muted scream of despair.

Can didn't say anything. He just stared at her hull.

Taylor grinned. Her first successful prank on her crew had worked. And age was in the perfect spot to take off with minimal to no evidence of something like a starship having been there in the first place.

The human starship concentrated on engaging her sublight engines just enough to lift off the ground. They happily complied, ticking up to only two thousandths of a percent engaged.

Taylor's sneakers left the ground. She began to rise into the air above her school, head raised high and chin out. The low, rhythmic thrum of her engines rang out into the night in a comforting drone. On a whim she stuck both her arms forward, fists clenched, and soared into the night sky.

Any whoops of glee she would deny vehemently.

She was the Odyssey. Nobody could ever take that from her. She dared the entire universe to go right ahead and try.

Not even the Endbringers would be capable of it.

Brockton Bay was pretty at night, from the sky. All the dim lights from the homes of less well off residents to the lofty high rises and businesses closer to the Boardwalk lit up Taylor's sensors like the Fourth of July.

They formed a pattern almost like that of an organism. Thousands of little beacons of hope, collectively warding beck the darkness.

A muffled boom rippled out through the air around her. Taylor instantly took her attention off the great view and investigated the cause.

Oh.

That was the sound barrier.

She reduced her speed with a sheepish chuckle.

Sam, mind making an expected thrust calculations change? I just accidentally’d the sound barrier before I managed to throttle up more than another thousandth. I can't really do that next to other capes, most won't be able to survive.

Another wordless, strangled scream echoed from her medbay.

10. asdo

asdo Experienced.

wait,..Taylor has asgard beams right? including the asgard beam transports? what happens if someone from inside her beams OUT? and beams in?

11. Guardian54

Guardian54 Versed in the lewd.

That's racist against Koreans!
    But of course I wouldn't expect Taylor, who uses a lot of american teen girl stereotypes, to know that.

*Hallelujah sound effect here*
    Already surpassed 99.9% of Taylors in intelligence (as far as I'm concerned, if you can't use it i.e. have no wisdom, you don't have it, hence the stats are pretty tightly correlated, unless INT is technical and WIS is social).

Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  12. Darkarma

Darkarma Loli Ōtsutsuki

Sounds like they need atmospheric presets.

Out of curiosity is it your intention to make this slightly crackish? Or is this just Taylor getting the ridiculousness of the situation out of the way before seriousness kicks in?

Snake21, fireball900, Dvm999 and 4 others like this.
  13. Slayer Anderson

Slayer Anderson Orthodox Heretic

"Part of the crew, part of the ship. Part of the crew, part of the ship..."

Oh, what's that, sorry... uh, don't know what happened there. Anyway! I'm looking forward to what happens when, if Sam appears on Bet because of that, the PRT/PRO attempts to convince Taylor and Sam that Sam's a projection and not a real person. Should be interesting.

14. Guardian54

Guardian54 Versed in the lewd.

"You want a projection? THIS is a projection of something!" *Throws PROJECTS boot at idiot official and whacks him in the face*

15. Darkarma

Darkarma Loli Ōtsutsuki

Taylor does probably have the full holographic Asgard suite. She can do projections and such.

Also inverted shields for a cloak.

16. Ridli Scott

Ridli Scott I trust you know where the happy button is?

Stranger 12?

17. polparohoda

polparohoda Getting some practice in, huh?

Woot, it lives! Nice to see one of our favourite Taylor shipgirls still around. And very, very confused.

Huh. A stay thought: i kinda wonder how would SBY Taylor vs Odyssey Taylor go. Or better, how the two of them together vs everything go. A nice idea for an omake, if someone wants to write it.

Dvm999 likes this.
  18. Saltade

Saltade Verified Salty

Tay-Tay my pal. My chum. Very best bud whom I enjoy reading about. I beg you, please do not throw a dynakinetic into a source of infinite energy. Or the other Endbringers. Like seriously.

Wildbow said that chucking an Endbringer into the Sun would do nothing but make them stop holding back. It would probably be worse if you threw them into a Black Hole.

19. Swordchucks

Swordchucks Versed in the lewd.

This is very interesting. I'm itching to see some action, and some answers to the many, many questions I have (most notably, what use the fighters will come to).

She sure has a lot of fire power, but she is also about to have a ton of school-based problems from her escape. Those aren't really shooting problems. Well, unless the plan is to zip off and accidentally a few S-class bounties and the politely request being left alone.

Dvm999 likes this.
  20. zel19

zel19 Getting out there.

hey hey hey, don't forget the stealth systems

Dvm999 likes this.
  21. CrunchySharpie

CrunchySharpie A wild Bowsette appeared!

The difference between the sun and a black hole is immeasurably vast, especially a supermassive black hole. If they ended up at the center of one there likely isn't any way for them to directly interfere with anything because they don't have the power requirements to get out or even send out anything because, you know, black hole, that's what it does.

Also, The Endbringers and Entity's for that matter, have a max range that their powers are likely to work at, Even if an Endbringer can affect things out to trans-Neptunian distances, that's not even a fraction of a fraction of a fraction of a fraction to the tenth power of a percent of the distance the earth is from the center of the galaxy. If Taylor dumped an Endbringer into the black hole at the center of the galaxy, they would cease to be a problem in geological time scales. Even if they somehow created a quasar and somehow directed and shot it out of the center of the black hole at earth, it'd still take 27 odd thousand years to reach us going at light speed.

Even if they somehow made said jet go superluminal, unless it's hundreds of times the speed of light we're still talking several thousand years or more.

People continue to underestimate how big the galaxy is, much less the universe.

22. Fencer

Fencer Weaponized Randomness

Also becaise space time is influenced by gravity just being in any kind of general proximity to a black hole causes a time dilation effect... I forget how exactly that impacts things but I’d bet good money it would play havoc with shard communication. Hell the things are controlled at least loosly by a shard and while they seem to have no problems broadcasting from one dimension to the next they do actually physically relocate to a location that corosponds with earth. How far would Taylor have to drag an Endbringer before they are no longer in signal range for shard communication?

fireball900, Dvm999 and Prince Charon like this.
  23. litaispe

litaispe -

TVTropes is however a pile of shit. Traditional deities (Eastern or Western) and especially Xianxia-style characters are the sorts of things that are actively prayed to so so little people would be left alone and any gifts or offerings are more appeasement out of fear.

At least with the Ancients, most of their left-overs don't hunt people down and fuck with them for the lols. Yeah, sure they left a shitload of garbage without an warning labels or instructions. But most of the time it is the SGC trying to interact with the dodgy multi-million year old hardware outside it's warranty period like a chimp flinging shit at things where it really truly goes wrong.

Stargate is one setting where shutting down inter-dimensional effects is something which comes up and isn't some sort of setting breaking idea.

Wildbow also said that powers don't work out of upper-Earth orbit, so throwing an Endbringer into the Sun would knock it offline as the powers don't have enough reach and the Endbringer is just a remote controlled drone.

Odyssey actually did scope someone up floating in space via the hanger. It just requires minimum forward thrust and to actually run at 5% reverse thrust to go slow enough to catch them without making them go splat :p

Last edited: Nov 13, 2018
    fireball900, Fijili, Dvm999 and 4 others like this.
  24. GladiusLucix

GladiusLucix Versed in the lewd.

Powers not working outside of Earth's orbit is very likely a "don't let the lab rats escape" measure, instead of a hardware limitation of the shards, since they were able to observe the Earth from far outside the Solar System.

25. Prince Charon

Prince Charon Just zis guy, you know?

There is a difference between looking at something and directly affecting it.

EDIT: I'm not saying that you're definitely wrong about the Endbringers being able to operate farther away from Earth than parahumans can, but the Entities' ability to observe Earth from a distance is not a good justification for it.

Dvm999 and litaispe like this.
  26. Saltade

Saltade Verified Salty

WoG is they wouldn't lose their powers if they ended up in the sun.

I assure you I'm not underestimating just how big it is. The problem is that if you throw, say Behemoth, into the supermassive blackhole, if he makes it release a massive pulse of energy, sure it'll take a long time to reach earth, but what about other species? What if he manages to get the blackhole to evaporate? It'll literally destroy the entire galaxy with no gravitational center for the stars to rotate around. Suns crashing into suns, systems into systems, it'll be a nightmare. And Taylor can't shield every planet in the solar system and keep them in orbit. Even if she could, it'd be a massive undertaking she wouldn't have to do if she just chucked Behemoth into Intergalactic space and blew him up with the Asgard beans instead of throwing a dynakinetic into a near-unlimited energy source.

The Mad Ghoul likes this.
  27. CrunchySharpie

CrunchySharpie A wild Bowsette appeared!

I think you're severely overestimating Behemoths power. There's several problems with that. Shards do not actually have unlimited processing power and thus wouldn't be able to manage that much energy by themselves or even in the low dozens. Scion probably could, but that's because he has a stellar mass calculator the size of a small universe in his back pocket. Behemoth does not, and while he has a near infinite pool of energy to play with, none of that is getting out of the black hole except in Hawking radiation and unless Behemoth can force that to emit out in... frankly ludicrous amounts (i.e. Planetary masses per second), he's not dissipating that Black hole for a few... billion if not trillion years.

And this all assumes that the Shards have the range to communicate with Behemoth over thousands of light years. Even full blown Entity's aren't shown to do that, they probably could via wormholes but none of the first three Endbringers have shown any inherent power to do that by themselves, what would probably happen is the multidimensional core at Behemoth's center stops functioning and whatever mass is on this side of the portal gets crunched into the Black holes mass.

28. TCGM

She does indeed have them. As for how they function, they are essentially the same as the ones on the normal Odyssey.

Wondered if someone would notice that pun.

Also yeah, turns out when you give somebody the mindset of a well trained combatant they are capable of thinking shit through and making intelligent decisions.

My view of INT and WIS is that intelligence is how much data you can store, but wisdom is how good you are at manipulating or otherwise using that data to accomplish things.

Don't use WIS as your dump stat, kids!

They need to make an entirely new set of atmospheric presets. Taylor's cross section has dropped from 367m by 126m (ish) to under a foot in both X and Z. If she's flying like Superman, of course. Suddenly her engines are pushing just as much mass but have essentially zero atmospheric drag to worry about.

Darkarma... Mang. Buddy. I don't write anything but Crack. Pseudo-Crack is as low as I go.

That's a nice phrase. Where's it from?

The best part will be when Sam, who is fully versed in metaphysical shit like this, will be able to out debate them on the topic of whether she is real or not.

Something something just because her reproductive organs are on the inside instead of the outside doesn't mean she won't whoop your politicking ass.

She has essentially every piece of technology the Asgard ever made or possessed, or the records and instructions to make it on her Asgard Core. Of the Daedalus class ships to become, the Odyssey at the end of Unending is the best one.

She most likely can do the shield inversion for cloaking, yes. If the concepts of Alteran and Asgard shielding systems are remotely similar. Plus she has the Phase Cloak, sooo.....

Stranger What?

Indeed! The story is alive!

Space Battleship Yamato? The only advantage that ship has over the Odyssey is, maybe, her wave motion gun. And you know how long that takes to align, prime, and fire.

Oddy!Taylor could take a leisurely stroll out of the firing line and just shove a Mark 9 up SBY's ass to call it a day.

But no, by all means, omakes are welcome!

And using Wildbow's view on how physics, reality, or stuff like interstellar distance works is an exercise doomed to failure.

He does not get to have his 'my universe runs on logic, facts, and physics' cake, then eat his 'oh yeah and Behemoth is a perpetual, limitless dynakinetic' too. His WoG declaring his universe runs on real physics is the biggest, most impactful one, and so it must supercede anything else he says if the new thing violates the old thing.

Similar concept here on the idea of Hermione's ethnicity. No, Rowling, you do not get to make a series of 7+ movies under your near complete directive control with Hermione so white she gives gingers a soul, then go "oh no she's actually black, sike".

Sees rest of Endbringer discussion.

For the sake of my sanity and my stories, I am simply capping the distance Shards can function at 1AU. Anything further than that and the command/data lag time becomes horrendously impossible to direct something like the Endbringers or powers from.

It's entirely possible this is why powers no longer work past the moon, btw. That isn't much of a distance, but it is still a slight amount of lag. I don't know what the tolerance is on Shard comm networks so I can't give a definite response.

Any action that occurs will most likely be over extremely quickly. Shipping It is my most OP Taylor, including Fourth's.

No she isn't about to have a bunch of school based problems. She intentionally made it look like another cape trashed the place, then took her. It is surprisingly easy to evade captors if they think you're not trying to escape. She has an easy story lined up, and if the Trio try anything, they will only implicate themselves.

Honestly the second Taylor accidentallys something previously believed to be very tough to break, she will be a 'do not touch' cape.

I won't, don't worry.

Yeah, Stargate plays with alternate realities like Trek plays with time. Shards got nothin on dis.

See above rants about Wildbow's WoG stuff and the Endbringers.

Yeah, that was Sam that Cam picked up. The two people most involved in that rescue are thankfully present to help Taylor.

As Sam was the one personally affected by that, btw, my headcanon is that she campaigned to increase the fine thruster control on the Daedalus ships. That is why Taylor didn't immediately break orbit.

Keep in mind she is flying with 0.002x thrust. Granted, at only 0.0001x weight, but still.

To the remaining posters; again, see my declarations about Wildbow's WoG.

29. RichardWhereat

RichardWhereat Aia airëa Fëanáro.

Of course not. WIS is Perception, Insight, Medicine, and Animal Handling. All necessary skills. Wis should be your second highest, after CHA.

Heh, that's what Asgard Beaming is best for. Use it to collect a large number of boots. Then, beam boots into their faces.

That remains, to this day, the stupidest line anyone has ever said in SG1. And that's a show that had a great many Goa'uld's.

Thank Apollon and Lathander! Fourth is your best story, but this is one with a great deal of potential and I got so excited to see even an 810 word update. You need to start sucking down whatever it is ShadeNight123 uses to dump stories out.

Ugh, exactly. That said, that's a pretty disgusting use of soul magic.

30. litaispe

litaispe -

Stargate plays around with time a lot too! I think you see more slow/fast time and actual time travel than most single startrek series over the course of the SG1 show.

Not to mention time/gravity behaves weirdly in a way which breaks special/general relativity. And for a planet-focused organisim like the Entities, there is no reason to expect they would have encountered something which requires being within a stone throw from a blackhole.

Dvm999 and Prince Charon like this.