• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Soliciting style requests

Getting rid of the horrendous default margin size that the testbed originally started with helped, but there's still a lot of work to be done.
Yeah, my profile pic doesn't need to be this big, and neither does it's surrounding box. It looks a bit silly.

I've been quite impressed by how fast the site is improving though, the margins are fixed and the styles are better. Its not even been 24 hours yet and half of my complaints have been adressed before I even posted about them, it's a little ridiculous how quick these guys are working.

The one labeled "Black" (not "Dark") looks pretty nice from the preview image. Seems to have a bit higher contrast than the current dark/blackened themes and I like the more "classic" muted blue links compared to the quite highly saturated colors on the current Blackened themes, not to mention the grey in grey of current Dark. No idea how it looks on actual posts, though.

Why was messages below a person's name on a post turned into a dropdown box and likes recieved removed entirely?

Currently using the high contrast one, and it is so much better.

Actually reminds me of Beast Lair

Ah, Blackend-Purple, my beloved.

Suddenly the site looks more like home.

Edit: Just used the High Contrast and I think if you gave that one more color variations it would be a major hit

Last edited:
Is there anything similar to Flexile Dark that could be found? all the others just seem to hurt my eyes. or Flexile Dark but orange rather than blue

High Contrast is the best yet but the white is a bit too strong can we get a bit off-white/grey instead of pure white?

A few from the other thread,

Here's the Light/Dark UI.X 2 styles which are free* (with a discount code)

I also liked this style, though it costs $30, or $50 for both light & dark,
https://xenfocus.com/styles/illuminate_dark/

There's a live demo, but screenshots for the lazy
w=2818
w=2818
w=2818

Update: We now have various color variations of the Blackened theme, including a High Contrast version that's pure white-on-black text. Comments on color tweaks are also welcome.
Technical note: The new themes are not updating the class of the html element. They are instead all using the same style-light class as the Light theme. The style-*** class is useful for user CSS that can distinguish between themes.

I'd recommend at least having all the blackened themes use a style-blackened class, and maybe also add a style-blackened-xxx class for each variant (red, blue, high contrast, etc).

On the Blackened styles the global font size setting isn't applied on text inside quotes.

Update: We now have various color variations of the Blackened theme, including a High Contrast version that's pure white-on-black text. Comments on color tweaks are also welcome.
The new blackend high contrast theme really goes a long way to fixing the site and bringing it back to its Old Glory.

I now only see one more issue with the new site. Everything seems to take up more space. Like, be it options, tabs, drop down list for my alerts and even threads in the main NSFW board. The font isn't the issue, it's like the UI is taking up more space for everything.

I use this site on my phone the most. So I'm noticing it the most.

It can't fit anywhere near as much content on screen as it could before. You have to scroll way more to see everything.

Compare it to the previous QQ and this one and you'll notice the difference. If you've got a screenshot of the QQ NSFW board from before and one now, you'll see that one screen doesn't fit as many threads anymore. Everything feels bloated.

SB and SV don't have this issue either, you'll notice if you open them side to side with this one. I think it's the fixable issue if they could resize it.

Probably here

Edit: Whoa, what just happened? Did you guys just change the text color on blackened green? If so, black text on a dark gray background isn't the best choice.

Last edited:
XF1 Blackened (Green?) had serif fonts for paragraph text, san-serif for buttons & thread titles. That was a nice balance for me.

If it's possible to set default post text to serif (for the editor & so on) but leave the rest of the interface alone, that would be a very useful option for my eyes.

Edit: Whoa, what just happened? Did you guys just change the text color on blackened green? If so, black text on a dark gray background isn't the best choice.

For a hot minute the contrast for the blackened themes was way too low and everything was unreadable, that seems to be fixed now if you refresh. I'm guessing admins are tweaking the themes.

Last edited:
Blackened themes are a nice improvement. +1 for Flexile like replacement.
+1 Flexile dark for me too
I can't remember the damn name for the life of me, but I think it was high responsive dark contrast that was my go to for this forum.

I loved it. The background was completely black, saving both my battery and my eyes while the text content for post and stuff were in crisp, clear white. Making it both easy on the eyes and have great readability.

The grey on shittier grey the default dark theme has can take a hike and throw itself off a cliff.

That theme really defined this site apart from the crap that is SV and SB, especially SB. SV is somewhat better.

Okay, quick question, what's the theme that the xenforo forum you linked here itself is running? That pure black background, white text and blue highlights is great.

It'd be great if we could just port that in.
No idea if you know, but the blackened high contrast is similar to what you are talking about, and its AWESOME! I still miss the old one of my vote, but this one is great too! Thanks to the people of this forum that worked to add it!

Contrast issues ...

lzw2aq.jpg

66dtst.jpg

If it could be changed to have better contrast among elements, that would be welcome.

Here's what it looks like when I open a page normally. See that that search button isn't visible.
You can find the search button when you zoom out....along with a black bar along the right side of the screen that is persistent when you scroll down.

Essentially, the mobile version of the site definitely needs some tuning. Along with this issue,

I now only see one more issue with the new site. Everything seems to take up more space. Like, be it options, tabs, drop down list for my alerts and even threads in the main NSFW board. The font isn't the issue, it's like the UI is taking up more space for everything.

I use this site on my phone the most. So I'm noticing it the most.

It can't fit anywhere near as much content on screen as it could before. You have to scroll way more to see everything.

Compare it to the previous QQ and this one and you'll notice the difference. If you've got a screenshot of the QQ NSFW board from before and one now, you'll see that one screen doesn't fit as many threads anymore. Everything feels bloated.

SB and SV don't have this issue either, you'll notice if you open them side to side with this one. I think it's the fixable issue if they could resize it.
I know I'm not imagining it either. I opened SB and QQ in two tabs and saw it side by side. This do be needing some fixing.

I'm aware this thread was opened to talk about themes to be added. So if there's a dedicated thread where I can bring this to the mods attention, I'd be happy to be redirected there. @alethiophile

XF1 -- when I click on an avatar, I see a summary box of the account, including a larger version of the avatar image. This is useful for when I'm trying to read some tiny text or figure out the identity of a character.

k199jz.png

... so the request would be to make the avatar image in the on-hover summary a lot bigger, like 2x the size of the default avatar box, instead of being the exact same size.

As you've no doubt noticed, the new XF2 install has a limited number of styles compared to the old site. We are currently soliciting requests for new styles to add.

We've begun by installing the Blackened Pro theme, which is a straightforward adaptation of the Blackend styles from the old site. However, unfortunately, the other old-site styles mostly do not have such straightforward XF2 successors. Thus, we'll need to find new styles that satisfy the same prerequisites. We welcome posting candidates in this thread.

Note that there are both financial and technical limitations on the number of styles we can add to the site, so we can't simply add every option people suggest. Once there are some candidates, I'll edit this post to include a poll for which ones people prefer. Note that poll results are advisory, and final decisions remain with administration.

Update: We now have various color variations for the Blackened theme.

I'm desperately hoping for an orange version of blackened high contrast. The old orange and black theme for QQ was my bread and butter and it was my favorite part of the site, and the high contrast looks GORGEOUS.

Unfortunately, unlike every other XF2 forum I frequent except SV, there is not currently any style I can set-and-forget in preferences that will be usable both on desktop and mobile given that my phone lives in dark mode.

Current style breakdown:

• Xenforo Default
    • ✅70px (6.5%) pinned ribbon on desktop (1920x1080p, Chrome), the smallest of all current options.
    • ✅Excellent dark-mode compatibility on mobile (retains good contrast for both text and UI elements, e.g. read and unread alerts are distinguishable)
    • ✅Save button pinned to bottom of screen on Preferences page on mobile
    • ⛔189px (7.9%) pinned ribbon on mobile (1080x2400 Samsung Galaxy, portrait mode)
    • ⛔ Is a light theme. Is therefore unusable on desktop (and on mobile if you're the sort of degenerate who doesn't keep their phone on dark mode).
  • Light
    • ✅Save button pinned to bottom of screen on Preferences page on mobile
    • 🟨Middling dark-mode compatibility- text retains good contrast, but read and unread alerts are indistinguishable, among other UI fuckery.
    • ⛔124px (11.5%) pinned ribbon on desktop
    • ⛔197px (8.2%) pinned ribbon on mobile
    • ⛔ Is a light theme
  • Dark
    • ✅ Is a dark theme, and therefore usable on desktop.
    • ✅ Save button pinned to bottom of screen on Preferences page on mobile
    • 🟨 114px (10.6%) pinned ribbon on desktop
    • ⛔ 181px (7.5%) pinned ribbon on mobile
    • ⛔ Poor dark-mode compatibility (text and UI both)
  • Blackened (all variants)
    • ✅✅✅ NO PINNED RIBBON ON MOBILE!! (0%)
    • ✅ Is a dark theme
    • ⛔ have to scroll all the way to end of Preferences page on mobile to save changes
    • ⛔ Poor dark-mode compatibility (text and UI both)
    • ⛔⛔⛔ 157px (14.5%) pinned ribbon on desktop, the worst of all current options

I am INCREDIBLY hopeful we can get a variation of DarkResponsive(Green), but have no idea if it even exists. Hope springs eternal, at least.

One issue with the themes is that none of them seem to have the bit with:

Under the username for each poster like DarkResponsive did. Blackened has a little arrow that you can click to show number of messages, but it's not the same. It's a minor quibble, but still slightly annoying.

Note that the sticky navbar is now user-configurable. You can disable it from User Preferences if you like.
That's another nice improvement, and while on the subject would it be possible to adjust the Style(s) so that there's less wasted space between forum items basically everywhere on the screen? The less of the screen is wasted on those the more is freed up for the text people are actually posting.

[edit] made a quick and dirty MS Paint example to illustrate my point on the amount of space that could be gained on the screen by simply "tightening" everything up a bit:
84jdcja26k4.jpg

Last edited:
I am INCREDIBLY hopeful we can get a variation of DarkResponsive(Green), but have no idea if it even exists. Hope springs eternal, at least.

One issue with the themes is that none of them seem to have the bit with:

Under the username for each poster like DarkResponsive did. Blackened has a little arrow that you can click to show number of messages, but it's not the same. It's a minor quibble, but still slightly annoying.
Check again! Looks like it is showing now (at least for Blackened High Contrast)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back