• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Soliciting style requests

Would it be possible to shift the color of Blackened Purple from the current dark pink to a more lilac color like the old XF1 style?

x8n2cr.jpg

EDIT: Thank you!

Last edited:
Are adjustments for styles already in place possible?

If so, I suggest keeping for the Blackened/Dark modes the font color of the text, and only focus on darkening somewhat the background color of the main posts.

Ideally by making it similar to the font contrasting with background color that is found in the tweaked Darkend Blue message box where one types the post content.

The current grey tones used as background for such things as 'Similar Threads' segments and main posts cause the texts inside to 'blur' somewhat.

Also, a benefit I found is that the contrast between font and background doesn't strain the sight as much as ... say, current Dark mode or Darkened High Contrast.

Just a thought towards having useful styles that'll be legible, no matter the choice picked.

Just in case you're interested ... the font color would be, according to Paint:
Hue 160
Sat 0
Lum 89
Red 95
Green 95
Blue 95

And the background color used for the message box:
Hue 160
Sat 0
Lum 13

Red 14
Green 14
Blue 14

This one on a black background makes it just as contrasting and easier to read on a black background. I assume it'd also serve as a good font color for darker grey tones compared to the ones currently in use.

I hope this feedback helps out other users should it be put into use. :)

Last edited:
Can we get a style that's Blackened Purple but orange instead? really missing my orange everything.

Can we also get a toggle for fixed site width so threads don't expand to be infinitely wide to the borders of my extra wide monitor?

Somewhat related to that, I mentioned in the other two threads, this style: https://xenfocus.com/styles/illuminate_dark/ seems like it'll do everything we want for dark and light styles (even has a fast-toggle between them and built-in toggles for the thread width thing). It does cost money but I'm willing to pay some amount into a pot to get it, especially if it's the only way I can get my orange theme back.

Jumping on the "Flexile Dark 2.0 pls" bandwagon as well.

IMO the white-on-grey with blue header and hyperlinks is just the definitive look for QQ, like white-on-blue with green hyperlinks is for SB.

That said, the Blackened High Contrast one is definitely a good readability addition, even if I prefer the slightly lower contrast of Flexile Dark's dark grey background. Maybe combine the two and have Flexile Dark's header/navbar with the old logo and Full Of Terrors quote? Not sure how easy/difficult that would be to implement.

Last edited:
[edit] made a quick and dirty MS Paint example to illustrate my point on the amount of space that could be gained on the screen by simply "tightening" everything up a bit:
I'm not sure what you're trying to show with that.

Can we also get a toggle for fixed site width so threads don't expand to be infinitely wide to the borders of my extra wide monitor?
That's already in place. Click the "Change width" link that's at the bottom of the page next to the style chooser. It sets the site's content's max width at 1270px.

Technical note: The new themes are not updating the class of the html element. They are instead all using the same style-light class as the Light theme. The style-*** class is useful for user CSS that can distinguish between themes.

I'd recommend at least having all the blackened themes use a style-blackened class, and maybe also add a style-blackened-xxx class for each variant (red, blue, high contrast, etc).
Note this has been fixed. However, the only classes it shows are `style-light` or `style-dark`, no more detail than that.

As you've no doubt noticed, the new XF2 install has a limited number of styles compared to the old site. We are currently soliciting requests for new styles to add.

We've begun by installing the Blackened Pro theme, which is a straightforward adaptation of the Blackend styles from the old site. However, unfortunately, the other old-site styles mostly do not have such straightforward XF2 successors. Thus, we'll need to find new styles that satisfy the same prerequisites. We welcome posting candidates in this thread.

Note that there are both financial and technical limitations on the number of styles we can add to the site, so we can't simply add every option people suggest. Once there are some candidates, I'll edit this post to include a poll for which ones people prefer. Note that poll results are advisory, and final decisions remain with administration.

Update: We now have various color variations for the Blackened theme.

Update: The sticky navbar can now be disabled under User Preferences.
I'm happy enough with the new blackened themes. Thank you very much. Adds a lot of color and delineation. It looks much better now. (Though thebtext could still be whiter. It's still light grey on dark grey)

Though I now have the weird issue that the text box (tinymce) is WHITE while on blackened. Can that be fixed?

Last edited:
Yet another vote for "as close to the old Light Responsive as possible, I have no idea what that means in terms of actual available styles".

I know there's been a lot of dark themes added but I don't want a dark theme? As it stands I'll probably have to take a break from QQ until the design is fixed to something semi-sensible (if ever), which is sad because there's a lot of nice stories I've been reading here.

EDIT: side-note, anyone kept a backup of the old default avatars? The new one is really ugly.

the amount of space freed up is space that'd be used for text, meaning less pointless scrolling up and down. QoL increase at no cost.
Yeah, but your image seems to be designed to show a contrast between the left and right halves. However there are no differences in the vertical space used on either side of the image.

Yeah, but your image seems to be designed to show a contrast between the left and right halves. However there are no differences in the vertical space used on either side of the image.
The entire white space is the space gained, both horizontally by removing the silly borders, and vertically by squishing out the wasted space between forum items.

For everyone complaining about the sticky toolbar at the top, go into your site preferences menu (click your name at the top of the page and click preferences), then look for the "Sticky header navbar" setting (it's below the editor selection). Check the "disable" checkbox.

For everyone complaining about the sticky toolbar at the top, go into your site preferences menu (click your name at the top of the page and click preferences), then look for the "Sticky header navbar" setting (it's below the editor selection). Check the "disable" checkbox.

Yeah, this.

...Except now the problem is that pages load as if the bar was there, meaning when you go to a specific post/threadmark, the page loads slightly below where it should, so you get the bottom of the comment above it. :V

A minor issue, but would be nice to see fixed. Unless it's just me, which it could be.

I like the new blackened green theme
it seems to work for me on both desktop and mobile

Last edited:
Last request, until I think of something else, could we please get the ability to change the screen margins as on SB/SV?

o7p354.png

Is there a way to change the displayed font? Old Blackened Blue had a much nicer font than Arial, which I think this is.

Also the post background colour of BB needs to be just a bit darker, it's still too low contrast compared to before.

Im partial towards green, as that was the color that i used before, but i cannot remember the name of the style whatsoever but i remember it was just black bg with white text, green accents and green links.

this one looks similar to it

Edit: apparently, blackened green was added a bit before i commented, so thats good!

Last edited:
*digs*
Recent Wayback Machine snapshots have 'Xenforo addons' credited to Waindigo. Google-ing 'waindigo' reveals that while they're gone, their addons were sold to Audentio Design, now ThemeHouse.

Searching ThemeHouse's resources provides a four-page list...
Here's the Light/Dark UI.X 2 styles which are free* (with a discount code)
...which includes these updated XF1 themes. (The more faithful rendition, UI.X Classic Dark, is a paid theme.)

Looking further down the list, the Flexile themes are listed as unmaintained XF1.

Wayback Machine again only much earlier, still has Light Responsive as the default design - with no mention of Waindigo, just XenForo. Searching 'responsive' leads me to believe that the various Responsive skins were otherwise standard skins run through a Responsive Design (XF1 only) setting-addon and then tinkered with a bit.

Out of curiosity, I gave the Lightened style a try ... and it is a decent one. For starters, it doesn't burn my eyes as badly as a purely white background would.

The text is crisp and contrasts nicely with the background.

Though my platform is a netbook, so it may look somewhat differently inside a smartphone or other miniature portable devices.

That said, the font color for the tabs in the horizontal bar at the top--the one housing Home, Forums, etc. as well as the one below it---kind of blur a little bit with the background color itself.

Perhaps darkening the font could help out?

The lightened style is definitely better than default, but everywhere the text Is white it is eye searingly bright.

Lightened is a huge improvement so far. I'm a little confused if the object was to recreate the color scheme of Light Responsive why the space around usernames is gray rather than white like Light Responsive

View: https://imgur.com/a/vxBLgnW

Made a quick shitty edit in Paint to make the colors match the old Light responsive, took a screencap of Light Responsive I had and just used the eyedropper tool to copy over the colors to the main body and whatever you call the section by the name and profile pic. The background color is great and works perfectly, just was confused why the grey is so dark by the portraits and darker than it was in Light Responsive for the main body. I suppose since the left margin stays next to the post forever rather than only being a small box detached from the main body? I could understand that as the reason to keep the darker grey on the left side. The main body background color is def a couple shades darker than it used to be though and it's not for the better in my opinion. Idk, sorry for the nitpicking.

Last edited:
Tried out both and for the moment I find Light to be a slightly better representation of the old style than Lightened is. Neither feels particularly close but that seems to be more of a "shapes are all wrong" problem.

(Notable inconvenience in both: quotes are sufficiently darker for text in them to be uncomfortably low contrast - especially as it's also tiny. The old-style quotes were (AFAICT) essentially the same color, in both background and font size, as regular text.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back