• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Book 1 Chapter 13
Book 1 Chapter 13
Jorel hated pirates. He had for years. Murderous, raping, slaving scum. But now he had a new reason to hate them. A reason he never would've expected, but, in retrospect, should've been obvious.

Pirates kept terrible records.

They didn't record half of the things they grabbed, just throwing them in piles to have someone else go through later, and those people didn't keep centralized logs. Sometimes they were on local terminals, some of which had been destroyed taking the place over, or they were recorded in one of over a dozen different locations, all named variations on 'stuff', with some items being listed twice, or even three times across the various locations, while others weren't mentioned at all. There were three 'loot' databases, four 'goods' lists, and one directory that was actually just named 'stuff'.

And they'd gone through all of it.

Not him personally, thank the Force. He was just one of four teams that was sorting through the almost literal mountains of captured goods. They'd been at it for weeks and they were finally, finally, done with it, or close enough to count. They'd been working without rest to do so, not sure if, or when, they'd have more visitors.

One group had popped in, two frigates and three corvettes, but Er'izma had sensed them coming. He hadn't used Battle Meditation, he hadn't needed to; the remote gun platforms that their people had repaired, then overcharged, had ripped their attackers apart, leaving only a single Frigate intact to be captured. Doing so had caused several of the gun platforms to detonate, the overpowering of their turbolasers only making them only good for the few shots they got off, but every ship they had was going to be packed to maximum capacity with goods as it was, the Dove's crew stretched thin over all of their new vessels. To put it simply they were at maximum capacity, and they weren't going to leave anything here intact when they left. Having the guns destroy themselves to rip apart an ambush was just efficient.

The chances for more pirates dropping by were slim, but they weren't nonexistent, so everyone was pulling close to double shifts to get everything done. Had the pirates kept complete records they could've grabbed the useful stuff and been gone in a week, but every single one of them seemed to have had a hold-out stash, valuables mixed in with dross, and a variety of other ways to conceal things of value from everyone else. It was to the point that, short of interrogating everyone, they'd never get the locations of all of it without searching the entire place top to bottom, even if they hadn't killed close to ninety percent of the pirates already.

Thankfully, almost all of the slaves were on the asteroid base and the cruiser they'd captured. Not all of them, it seemed almost every ship captain had possessed a personal slave or three that had died with them, but the majority of the innocents had been safely freed and been receiving medical attention from the Dove's substantial medical corp. Every squadron had a medic, and with combat concluded they'd all been hard at work tending to those that'd been in bondage.

He'd met the unshackled slaves, having asked Er'izma if he could, and the two of them had walked among the hundreds of captured innocents. Jorel had been happy to see them freed, but the longer he'd listened to them, the worse he felt. Some were sure the Jedi had been sent by the Republic directly. They hadn't been. Some demanded to know why they hadn't got there sooner, refusing to believe that their plight hadn't been known. But the worst? The worst were the ones who stared blankly. Those who, when the Padawan gently sensed their minds, didn't believe this was real, sure that this was all a dream and they'd wake up and go back to being starved, beaten, and worse.

Jorel didn't hold their feelings against them, but he hadn't visited them again either, and Er'izma had, after asking if he wanted to visit the freed slaves again, just nodded sadly and let the young man get back to work when he'd declined.

However there was another group he'd wanted to see, to talk to, but he'd been putting it off. With these last few pieces of loot logged, though, he was running out of time. "Found something I need to go ask about. Force knows I have no idea what's going on with this. I'll be back in a few," he called to Sergeant Hisku who herself looked on the edge of falling asleep, face first into her datapad, empty caf cans taking up a fifth of her desk.

She gave a half-hearted wave, focused on her own task, and he left casually. Normally he'd go to the guards, give them the name of the person and a description of the item, and they'd get back to him in an hour. Not this time. He calmed his nerves, walking down to the old slave pens, where they now kept the captured pirates. Their prisoners were treated better than the slaves had been, with proper food and nothing asked of them other than to stay there.

They'd complied.

Mostly.

Jorel had asked Er'izma why they didn't use the pirates to move everything for them. The dark-skinned man had stopped, turned to look at him, and calmly asked, "Why aren't we using the prisoners to go to the areas where they've secretly stored all the high value weapons, and other items, and move them for us?"

That'd killed that idea.

It was a few hallways, a turbolift, and a few more hallways, and then he was there. Looking around, there seemed to be more guards than usual, but with them needing less people to move things, that made sense. "Found another doohickey?" one of the guards, a corporal Teegan, asked.

"Yeah, but I'm going to talk to him," he replied with a casualness he didn't feel. "It's their leader's, and if they lie it might blow up."

"So it needs that Jedi touch?" the helmeted woman asked teasingly, and he nodded. She tapped something into the tiny computer built into her armor, flipping up the arm piece to get to it. The door to her side opened, leading to the pens, the rancid scent causing him to hesitate.

"Aren't we letting them, you know, bathe?" he couldn't help but ask.

The corporal laughed. "We've offered, but they decided they'd rather stay in their pens when they found out we'd be watchin'. Pirates get pretty bashful when it's them getting leered at. Glad the commander sprung for the air filters," she smiled, her tone giving away her expression despite her full helmet, as she tapped the front of the faceplate for emphasis. "Puckrev's in the back, in the solitary cells. Have fun."

"I'll try, ma'am," he replied, not having to fake his unease, walking past her.

"Hey, I'm not a ma'am until I'm a lieutenant!" she called after him in good cheer as the he entered the room, the door closing behind him.

The inside was a converted hanger, the storage meant for cargo now full of small cages, with larger mass-holding areas in the open areas where ships would land. Going through the records, this installation had originally been a Republic military outpost, over a thousand years ago. Somewhere along the way it'd been forgotten, the hyperspace route to it, classified to maintain security, lost to time, until the pirates had found it, maybe stumbling across records of it somewhere. From there they'd likely re-mapped the hyperspace route, and then had a pre-made, untraceable base for a pittance.

It'd been in use for decades, as a place to hold goods before they were traded on the black markets in the Core, which both were apparently more profitable and, surprisingly to Jorel, existed. That'd been an unpleasant revelation, as for some stupid reason, he'd thought such things had just been something that didn't exist in the Core, the center of the Republic's law and order, instead assuming they started in the Colonies and extended outwards.

That said, when Puckrev, the pirate in charge when they'd arrived, had taken over, killing the owner before him, he'd decided to stop being a waystation and gone into business himself. Ironically, the Bothan he'd killed had been right not to do so previously, and Puckrev's action had led to the Jedi's official attention, and his downfall. The logs Jorel had been digging through were never just items, but full of rumors, gossip, and history intermixed with the data, giving a more complete picture of what this place had been like, a little bit of hell hidden away just past the edge of the Core.

Now, with the surviving pirates jeering, hollering, and occasionally spitting at him as Jorel walked down the halls to talk to the pirate leader, the Jedi easily leaning out of the way of the projectiles, it was time to talk to the man who'd pushed things so far that his master had noticed.

Moving to the back, where the individual cells were, the bottom floor of a three-deck storage area, Jorel noted the lights had been broken, keeping the area in perpetual shadow. Fits he thought, approaching the human in ragged clothing, leaning against the bars, arms folded.

"So, someone in charge at last," the leader of the pirates commented, the others falling silent as he talked. "But the Apprentice, not the Master? Should've known you Jedi were involved."

"Trevhar Puckrev?" Jorel asked, keeping himself completely calm.

The man smoothly pushed himself off the back wall, moving languidly, as he stepped into the dim light, giving a mocking bow. "The one and only, accept no substitutes," he replied.

Jorel had expected the man to be hardened, scarred, with a voice like gravel. Or maybe diseased, with lesions, voice thin and reedy. He'd expected the man to have some outward indication of his corruption. Instead the man was smooth, confident, and charismatic, and looking like he could star in a holo-drama. Feeling him out with the Force, the man's Presence, faint as it was, stood strongly, just as self-assured as he appeared to be. It was one tinged with the Dark Side, though, giving lie to the man's evil in a way that his outward appearance did not.

"And you are?" the prisoner asked, with a sly smile that held the hint of an edge to it.

"Padawan Jorel," he replied. Jedi were not supposed to lie, and even though he knew that was a lie, but he was trying to present the most 'Jedi'-like appearance he could.

Puckrev nodded, "Good to meet you, Padawan Jorel. What brings you to my humble abode?"

"Information," he replied simply. "I want to know why."

"Why?" the pirate laughed, as if he didn't have a care in the world. "You're going to need to be more specific. Why are you here? Why am I a pirate? Why am I so damn handsome?"

"The second," Jorel specified, stomping on the twinge of annoyance he felt. This man had killed innocents by the speeder-load, had betrayed his superiors, and had personally tortured over a dozen people to death for fun. Jorel had found the man's personal logs, and, foolishly, read them. "Why hurt people that have done nothing to you?"

His question sent the pirate leader laughing once again. "Oh, I'd heard you Jedi were naïve, but you're really asking me that?" Some of the other pirates around him laughed as well, making fun of him.

Jorel ignored them, focusing on the monster in front of him. "That's not an answer," he noted, calmly.

"Because I can," Puckrev grinned. "Because me and mine are as much of the Republic as you and yours are. Because for all of your government's claims to help all, only the Core and the Colonies get something for nothing. Me and mine? The Republic does nothing but take, take, take. We're just claiming what we're owed."

"By stealing from the rich and giving it to the poor?" the Padawan asked incredulously.

The pirate scoffed, "By stealing from the lazy and giving it to me. I've worked for it. I've bled for it. What have they done? Been born right? Sucked up to the government? Bent the knee to steal from others? We all pay taxes, me and mine just are a bit more. . . targeted in the collection then the thieves back on Coruscant are."

"And the rape? The torture? The slavery?" Jorel demanded, taking a step forward, his focus narrowing.

"Who do you think we sell these people to? The Rims?" the other man asked scornfully. "All our products go one way, and all our credits the other. It's just good business. Besides, little Jedi, what do you think will happen to the Spice you 'confiscated'? I'd be shocked if a fourth of it makes it to holding."

"If you mean the cooking spices, we'll be using them. If you mean the drugs, I'd be surprised too, as it's all currently on its way to the nearest star," he commented, enjoying the scowl that flashed across the pirate's face.

"Jedi," the caged man spat. "You think you're so much better than us because you can do magic?"

"No, we know we're better than you because we don't hurt innocents," the Padawan sneered back, taking a second to pull himself back to center, not letting himself be baited. "So you do this, hurt those who just want to live peacefully, because you're paid to? Because others do it, that makes it okay? So until everyone else is good, you shouldn't have to be?"

The pirate's eyes narrowed. "No, we do it because we can. Because we have the strength to get what we want, so we take it. You think the rich work? No, they stay in their shining towers and take it from the weak. We're just doing the same thing, and we'd keep doing it if those elites didn't send their attack dogs to stop us," he accused. "And that's all you are, little Jedi-ling. A dog of the Republic, keeping your elite owners fat and happy. If we hadn't started getting successful enough to threaten their monopoly on theft, you'd never be here."

Jorel stared at the man, focusing on him, and, underdeveloped as his Force Empathy was, he could tell the man truly believed what he said. "We're here because you stole our supplies," the Jedi pointed out.

"Yes," the pirate spat, "the lifeblood of trade, which only the government is allowed to tax for-"

"No," Jorel interrupted. "You literally stole our supplies. Three hundred units of medicinal bacta. Four thousand ration packs. Twenty-Two shipping containers of tibanna gas. We were going to pick it up in Delle, and that's where we found out that you'd stolen it. Then we tracked you here."

Puckrev stared at him, shocked, then started to laugh. This wasn't mocking, but an angry, malicious sound. "You're telling me you're here by chance? That for all your moralizing, for all your holier-than-thou behavior, you're here for selfish reasons too, because we stole what was yours?"

The Padawan bridled at the insinuation. "We heard about you because we were restocking supplies. Even if you hadn't stolen our supplies, we still would've hunted you down like the rats you are."

"Taken us down? We're not defeated until we're in prison," the pirate promised with a snarl. "So far you've just held us for a few weeks on our own ships. Are we actually going to go anywhere, or you going to wait until we escape?"

"We're leaving tomorrow," Jorel told them, "And you'll be in prison, a real prison, before the end of next week."

The other man smiled, his presence in the Force still brimming with anger and hatred even though he looked calm. "In that case," he announced, as if he'd accomplished something, "we better get started."

Jorel looked at the man, confused, before he felt the Force practically scream in his ears, throwing himself to the side as a knife flew by where his head was a moment ago. Feeling a tug, his lightsaber was pulled away from him, yanked into the hands of the pirates behind him. Only they weren't in their cages, and their doors were standing wide open.

"I believe it's time to take back what's ours, boys!" Puckrev called from behind him, the pirates cheering as they opened up their cage doors, which easily swung free, a few quickly moving to unlock those that were still secure. Out from under ragged clothing came knives, metal bars, and other scavenged weapons.

Jorel wanted to warn the others, but he didn't carry a commlink, Sergeant Hisku did. One of the pirates charged him, but his movements were slow, his stance full of openings, so obvious they had to be traps. Instead of falling into them, the Padawan twisted away the other man's swing missing by over a foot.

The murderer that stole his lightsaber yanked something off the weapon's handle, and Jorel realized the pirate wasn't a Force Sensitive, the man had used a bit of string, so small as to almost be invisible, probably some kind of high-tension wire.

Lighting the Saber, the man swung to the side, cutting through the bars easily as another pirate threw another knife, the weapon slow and easily dodged, but still diverting the Padawan's attention. With a yell, the lightsaber-wielding thug charged. Even untrained, he was still swinging a deadly weapon, but, after the third time Er'izma had used a flick of telekinesis to turn off Jorel's lightsaber mid-spar, teaching him to include the weapon in his own Force Presence to stop that from happening, the Padawan had learned the trick.

However, that would be too obvious, so he instead spun the intensity control, lowering the blue blade down to the lightest of training levels. Standing still, using Force Control to infuse his body with energy, he waited for the thug to close, dodging another thrown knife from the same man who threw the first - Where was he getting them? - and stepping forward to meet the saber-wielding pirate.

Raising a hand, focusing on his Tutaminis lessons, he caught the blade in his bare hands, using the Force technique to divert the low amounts of energy in the weapon while stopping its swing cold. With his other hand he punched the thug, hard, not just knocking him backwards as he meant to but sending him flying with the crunch of breaking cartilage, while pulling the weapon free by its glowing blade.

Opening his fist, he caught the lightsaber's handle with his open hand, flexing the one that'd stopped the saber as it still stung, even as he used Telekinesis to turn the weapon's intensity back up. Not to full, he didn't want to kill these people, just disable them.

No, he did want to kill them, but he wasn't going to if he could help it. Burns should be enough.

"The hell?" one of the pirates, a lizard-like Barabel, this one with a metal rod in his hands, questioned. Not waiting for an answer though, the thug charged forward, weapon raised.

Nice of them to come one at a time, Jorel thought, seeing the obvious feint, but trying to discern the true blow. The pirate, likely assuming that the Jedi was going to try to counter his secondary hit, swung, following through with his feint. However, not wanting whatever plan the fighter had to come to fruition, Jorel didn't take the trapped opening, but deflected the bar, knocking it aside instead of burning through it like his weapon normally would.

Quickly stepping to the side, the Barabel's stance over-extended, Jorel slashed the male across the cheek, a sizzling sound easily heard over the masses making their way to the door, which opened with a collective shout, the sound of blaster-fire distant.

The creature swore as it stumbled, even as two more of the same species charged the Padawan, similarly full of trapped openings, along with another thrown knife. Carefully dodging around their likely feints, he tagged them too, but the Barabel he'd tagged was already charging him once more, as additional pirates started to encircle him.

He dodged and struck the Barabel again, this time across the back of the neck. It stumbled, falling, but was starting to get back to its feet in seconds, despite the blackened flesh of its burns, as Jorel knocked down another three pirates, one attacking directly while the other two tried to change their attacks at the last minute to strike him unexpectedly. All were turned away, burned, badly, but that wasn't stopping them.

There's too many, he thought. If it was one, or two, or maybe even five, he could defeat them all without killing any. Not that they deserved to live, but was that why he was trying to spare them? Jorel hated pirates, for what they'd done, for what they'd continue to do. Was Jorel trying to not kill them, because to kill them would be what he wanted to do, and thus wrong?

He could almost hear Er'izma's voice chiding him: 'But is putting yourself in danger to prove yourself above them not merely pride? We killed them when we arrived, do you think yourself better than the others on the Dove?'

His master's presence was there, worried and angry over the bond they shared, new as it still was. It wasn't enough to communicate over, like he'd read some Masters and Padawans could, but he could feel the message be safe, I'm coming, even if it wasn't in words.

No, surrounded by enemies wasn't the time to prove he was better than they were, and not doing something just because he wanted to was just as bad as doing it because he wanted to, wasn't it? Flicking the saber to full, he turned as a group of six rushed him, the pirates not believing he'd kill them, while trying their best to murder him.

That was the last mistake they'd make.

He could see the attack paths they were telegraphing, and their likely counters and true strikes. Most had tried to follow through on their feints when they'd seen that he'd known they were false strikes, but a few others had tried to use their feints they originally were, striking from another angle at the last second. However, they were all assuming he'd have to block, to physical push them back.

That was no longer the case.

With the Force strumming through his body, strength filling him, the Jedi waited until they were almost upon him, and moved. The first strike cut the leading pirate in half vertically, a rising swing with a bit of Telekinesis to push the bisected corpse under the feet of the others. With his saber high, he twisted it across, biting through the head of one attacker, decapitating another through the neck.

The fourth tried to strike with a scrap-metal hammer, but the head of the weapon was cut off in a downward strike that also took the man's arm, and sliced off part of his side. Stepping forward once again, one foot on the first attacker's corpse, or the left half of it, the fifth was killed with a cross-body strike across the shoulders, the sixth dying as Jorel continued the spin, killing her in exactly the same manner as the previous attacker.

Then, immersed in the Force as he was, the Padawan was blind-sided by the six explosions of Death around him, like grenades made of the Dark Side, the darkness, the emptiness of it clawing at his soul.

Stumbling, the corpse he'd been standing on twisted as he missed his next step, sending him staggering forward. He could feel the harsh laughter of the pirate leader behind him. "And the true face of the Jedi is seen," the pitiful excuse for a man called, as the Padawan wanted to gut him with his own knife. "Peace and light, until you might actually lose something."

"Shut. Up," Jorel growled, trying to re-center himself, with only a little success.

Three more charged him, not as confidently as the others had, and he killed the first, the Dark Side washing over him in a putrid wave, his second slash only a glancing blow, while the third attacker got her knife in, slashing for Jorel's neck.

The Padawan jerked back, the knife stabbing into his upper chest instead, bouncing off his ribcage in a burst of burning cold fire as the woman smiled, her pleasure in his pain singing through the Force with her right in front of him.

Reflexively Jorel blasted with telekinesis, throwing his attacker back as she tried to stab him again, sending the woman sailing through the air, hitting a cage head-first with a sickening crack, the burst of Dark from her death no longer assault him, but reaching out to him.

She tried to kill you, so you killed her, it seemed to whisper. They all deserve to die, for what they've done. They'd kill you without a second thought, why hesitate?

Another knife came at him, from the same kriffing pirate. Grabbing the blade mid-air, he sent it back at its owner at three times the speed, burying it to the hilt in his kriffing skull, dropping him even as the Dark Side practically cooed its approval, the pirates backing up until the closest was over a dozen feet away.

And you can Kriff off too! he told the voice in the back of his head, pushing himself past his hatred, past his fear, past what still haunted his dreams. He wasn't killing these people because he hated them, or because they deserved to die, even if they did. He was killing them because they were trying to kill him. If they stayed in their cells, like a glance showed Puckrev still was, then he'd let them be. Until then, he was going to treat them exactly as they treated others.

No, he was going to treat them better. After all, their deaths would be quick.

Focusing not on the pleasure of meting out justice, or the enjoyment from seeing, tasting their fear as he struck them down, those that enjoyed making other fear themselves, he brought himself back to center, blade held at the ready, one with the Force. "This is your last warning," he told the people that were trying to kill him, voice calm and steady. "Get back in your cells. Or die. Your choice."

They didn't move back, but they didn't attack, the sounds of blaster-fire still coming from the far doorway, the Force twisting and shifting oddly, but he put it out of his mind, focusing on the task before him beyond all else, blocking out even the Dark Side as it said to, Kill them and be done with it, before poor little Corporal Teeghan dies because of your mistake, if she hasn't already.

Then a few of the several dozen still watching him started to move forward, starting to bring their weapons up, and the fight was rejoined.

He didn't wait for them to come to him.

Pushing off the ground with a horizontal form of Force Jump Er'izma had shown him, he closed the distance in an instant, taking the first by surprise, killing him instantly. The others moved but they were slow, slower than even the training droids at the Temple which made no sense. They tried to close on him, but didn't commit to their movements, and he struck them down.

A burst of Telekinesis pushed his attackers half a step back right as three tried to strike him at once, and he twisted around, striking them all as he danced around the stabs and throws of the others, careful of the others, never fully committing to a blow, unlike what he'd been originally been taught to do with his form, Djem So, by the Temple's teachers, and making sure to keep his power restrained and moving, like Er'izma instructed.

Some stumbled backwards with glancing blows, burns instead of cuts, but Jorel kept himself centered, not pursuing them to finish them off, moving to target after target, eliminating those closest and turning to the next, but they would not stop. He barely noticed the Dark Side now, paying attention to his enemies, their techniques and speed, or lack thereof.

Two pirates, calling for the others to clear, drew down on him with holdout blasters, small things, but Jorel, knowing he couldn't deflect nearly as well as Anaïs could, cheated. Shifting mental gears, he pushed the Force through his voice, as his master had that first day, commanding them, "Trip."

Anything more complicated and they might've resisted, but the command was enough, causing them both to stumble, their aim wild as they fired. Jorel was on them in a moment, cutting through their weapons, and their bodies, in one smooth motion, barely twisting out of the way as another knife sped towards his back.

Rather than catch it though, he nudged it aside and accelerated it, burying it in the face of another pirate as he himself turned towards the thrower, who was already running. Stomping on the urge to chase down his prey, Jorel turned to the next closest pirate, who was already lifting his weapon in preparation, so the Padawan leapt backwards, turning and striking another who hadn't expected the blow.

A storm of blaster-fire, with an odd sounding reverb, came from the entrance. Turning, a ring of blue light shot for him, which he deflected into the mass of pirates around him, catching one and dropping her without a single mark.

Stun shot, Jorel realized, rooting his stance as Er'izma's Legion poured through the doorway, stunning anything that moved. Four more shots came his way, deflected into two more pirates, a wall, and a cage, before they stopped, all the other fighters having dropped. Given that he knew very little of Form V's other variant, Shien, which specialized in projectile redirection, that wasn't half bad.

More soldiers came in, stunning several of the downed pirates, catching at least two that had been faking. With the fight over, Jorrel felt his focus break, as he looked around at the dead around him, even as he was annoyed that he hadn't been able to kill more of those-

Kindly shut up and go deep-throat a Hutt, he told the him that was not him, the influence of the Dark Side trying to divert his own thoughts. He felt sick to his stomach, hands shaking slightly, but this wasn't the first time he felt this way, and it probably wouldn't be the last.

As he calmed himself, he could feel Er'izma coming and he was not happy.

The man seemed fifteen feet tall as he marched inside, body full of tightly controlled energy. Striding to Jorel, A pirate that had only been pretending to be stunned, and missed by the troops leapt to his feet and lunged forward with a shiv. The Jedi Knight kicked the man to the side with the sound of breaking bones, where the pirate flew thirty feet, struck a cage, and hit with so much force that he partially exploded in a shower of gore, the metal the now dead man hit bending with a tortured scream that made Jorel wince.

Er'izma didn't seem to notice.

The Jedi Knight moved to stand in front of his Padawan, not even glancing at the path of dead bodies the younger man had left in his wake. "Padawan Jorel Drettz," The older man stated with the hardness of steel and the coldness of space.

"Master Er'izma," Jorel replied, not having any defense, or anything to say at all.

"I am but a humble Knight, so please, enlighten me. What made you decide to come down the prisoners, without your attaché, without informing me of your plans, without seemingly a plan at all, and led you to kill several dozen of our prisoners?"

Jorel winced, knowing how this looked. "I, I needed to know."

"Know what? If you could kill pirates?" his master demanded. "I believe you already knew that."

"No!" he disagreed, trying to find balance, but he couldn't, "I needed to know why!"

Er'izma was silent as a firing squad, staring at his Padawan. Finally, instead of the retort of blaster-fire the Padawan half-expected, he instead quietly repeated, "Why?"

"He wanted to know why we do it!" Puckrev called over the now silent slave pens.

The Jedi Knight's head snapped to the side with the speed of a striking snake, so fast Jorel's own neck throbbed in sympathy. The Knight held up a hand and the Force flexed, bringing Puckrev, cell and all, flying over, dropping the metal cage on a few corpses with the sound of tearing flesh, the man inside holding the bars to keep himself standing. "Explain."

"He wanted to know why I'm a pirate. Why I do what I do, 'hurting the innocent' and all that sith-spit. So I told him, that everyone does it, that I'm not special in what I do, only how I do it. Idiot doesn't realize how the world really works," the pirate practically babbled, his scorn of Jorel still coming through. "All wrapped up in his pampered ideals, tried to just burn my men instead of cut them, like that'd stop them, but he showed his true colors, showed how he's a killer just like the rest of us, that-"

"Silence," Er'izma commanded, and Puckrev, while he still tried to talk, made no more noise. The Jedi's Presence in the Force, an Army at your throat, relaxed, fading back into the Force around them. The Legionnaires standing guard relaxed slightly, able to feel it with only the little amount of Force sensitivity all living beings had. "Padawan, why did you leave Sergeant Hisku'Biatha'pusi in your office and come here alone?"

The question wasn't angry, just tired, which, somehow, made Jorel feel worse. "If I brought her, I wouldn't have been able to talk. He'd have insulted you, or the ship, or something else, and she would've insulted him right back, and we would've gone nowhere, and I wouldn't've learned anything."

The Jedi Knight let out a long sigh. "She is. . . enthusiastic about defending the honor of the Legion, that is true. But what made you think you'd learn anything by talking to him?"

"Because he's the one who's a raping, slaving, murdering, torturing pirate?" Jorel asked, thinking it obvious. "And no one in the Legion is? I've read his logs, I know what he did, but I needed to know why."

"And you thought he would just tell you?" Er'izma asked, a bit of humor creeping into his tone, though Jorel didn't see what was funny about any of this. "Or that you'd, with your vast wisdom and knowledge of psychology would be able to pierce through the lies, even the ones he tells himself, and find the truth?"

When it was put like that, then it seemed stupid, but. . . "I have the Force. I could tell when he was lying."

"Oh, I hadn't realized your Force Empathy had reached such lofty heights that you could not only read the emotions of your target, but do so when they were surrounded by others, and pierce through even the lies they tell themselves, which ring with the same clarity as truths within the Force," the older man remarked, tone thick with sarcasm. "Please teach this humble learner of your ways, wise Master, for that is a depth of skill I, in my several hundred years, have not been able to achieve."

"I. . ." the Padawan trailed off. "But, the Temple said. . . oh."

Er'izma nodded, "Yes, the Temple said the Force could be used to sense lies, and, from a certain point of view, it can. However, from every other perspective, it only assists, able to identify blatant lies, but only their presence, not the truth they obscure, and the lies we tell ourselves, the ones that we believe as strongly as we believe the truth, ring through the Force not with some inner quality of 'truth', but with our conviction, young Padawan."

"I. . ." Jorel tried again, admitting as his shoulders dropped. "I kriffed up pretty badly, didn't I Master?"

"Not the worst I've seen," the Knight commented, which was comforting until he remembered that the man had been teaching for centuries. However the much older man laughed, almost as if he could read the younger man's mind. Which he might be able to. "While one can judge one's motivations through one's words, people lie, pirates especially, only lawyers and politicians do so more often. No, if you want to learn of a man's mind, one must look at his actions."

Jorel nodded, "Which I couldn't get from talking to him."

Er'izma, however, shook his head in disagreement. "Talking is an action, Padawan, and can be very telling."

"All it told me was that I suck," the young man grumbled. "If the pirates weren't so cautious, I would've died."

"Pirates are many things," the Knight observed, "but cautious is rarely one of them. At least not the ones that attract our attention. Datapad," he ordered, a soldier bringing one over. Tapping at it, the commander laughed. "As I thought."

Turning the datapad towards him, Jorel watched the security camera recording of his fight. His first thought was his form still needed work, his second was that he'd gotten lucky, but the third? The third was that he was fast. Not a blur, that would've been ridiculous, but with a speed closer to a Knight's than a Padawan's.

He hadn't felt that fast. He'd just felt like himself, and the pirates were the ones moving slow. "So, I was fine?"

"Against effectively unarmed fighters, yes," Er'izma answered easily. "You have some room for improvement, but your performance speaks for itself. If they had been armed properly, however? You would've died in seconds Padawan, make no mistake. Quantity has a quality all of its own, and more than one Jedi has challenged a host of enemies, thinking themselves invincible, only to be torn to shreds in seconds."

Jorel stared at himself fighting. "But, if I've been getting better, then why are you still just as easily able to beat me in our spars as you were before?"

The Knight chuckled. "If I were to meet you with my full ability, you would be defeated in an instant, and what would you learn? Other than you could 'never' win? No, I make sure you have a level you can learn from and press you to do better. Then, when you have learned, I increase my own level of skill, and we repeat. In a few months I would've had you enter a tournament, and you would've seen how far you've come. That said, pirates are not soldiers, and their form was atrocious. Even unarmed, this many trained combatants would likely have defeated you, though possibly not."

"But, Sergeant Hisku's just as far behind me as she is when I started teaching her," he argued. If he was getting better, shouldn't that gap have grown?

Er'izma nodded, smiling. "Yes, her progress is quite impressive, though she might be under the same misconception you are."

Glancing at the trail of corpses he'd left, and having now watched himself make those corpses, he had to ask. "I. . . I've only been a Padawan for a bit over a month. Is being able to do that normal?"

"You mean should a Padawan, who's had twice as long as most Initiates to hone their specialization, and received further training by a Master of their specialization, perform better in their specialization than to others to whom that ability is merely one of many skills they possess?" the older man asked, with a raised eyebrow. Before Jorel could admit that's been a stupid question, the Jedi shrugged, "You could've done better."

"I, what?" Jorel sputtered at the unexpected conclusion.

"You shouldn't have played with them to start with, and you aren't used to the Dark Side one faces when killing," his master identified instantly. "Though your base is much more developed than most Guardians at your age. Both are things that you'll be trained to handle better. Honestly-"

"You!" came a familiar voice from the doorway, causing Jorel to wince and his master to smile.

"Hi Sergeant Hisku," he called weakly. "How are you?"

"How am I? How am I?" she demanded, striding right up to him, not paying attention the carnage around them. "I'm wondering what the heck you were thinking!?"

"I wanted to ask their leader some questions," he answered automatically.

"Then why are you standing in the middle of the holding area?" she questioned, not losing any steam.

Jorel blinked, "Uh, because that's where he is?"

"And the reason you didn't ask one of the guards to bring him to one of the interrogation rooms is?" she pressed.

That. . . was actually a really good question. "Whups," he shrugged.

She stared at him, Force presence practically vibrating with outraged anger, and with something else underneath it he couldn't identify. "Whups? WHUPS?" she repeated.

Er'izma cleared his throat, having had enough of his Padawan's panic. "I would not take too much umbrage with young Mr. Drettz, miss. These sorts of things are why he has you."

"Excuse me? Are you blaming. . ." she started to argue, turning, and realizing who she was talking to. She froze, eyes going wide in panic. "I, um, I mean, uh, yes sir Commander sir. I-"

"No one is injured, not in a way that a bacta patch can't fix," the Commander of the Legion smiled. "Consider this a learning experience, for both of you."

"I, but, I, he, I mean, yes, yes sir!" the young woman practically squeaked, as she gave Jorel a look that screamed, 'agree!'

However, a slight bit of movement caught his eye, and a whisper in the Force brushed across his mind. He moved before he realized what he was doing, his saber raised, the red blaster-bolt deflected from its path towards the sergeant's head, off his blade, and blasting harmlessly against a wall.

Puckrev was holding a small blaster-pistol, fancier than the ones the others had held, but made to be hidden just as theirs had been, as the man silently chuckled. A feeling of overwhelming anger took Jorel over as he launched himself forward.

This piece of druk had tried to kill one of his and was laughing? The man was still silent, but laughing as he shot again, bolt deflected, as Jorel closed. The Padawan's first slash destroyed the weapon, slicing off part of the human's hand, breaking the Mind Trick he was under, causing the pirate to cry out in pain. A burst of Telekinesis bent open the cut bars, allowing the Jedi to step inside the cell. Jorel's second strike, ready to take the pirate's head and kill him for what he tried to do, was almost completed when the Padawan, feeling like he was trying to hold back an avalanche, slowed the blow, his lightsaber coming to rest a few inches away from the pirate's face.

"Do it!" spat the pirate, grimacing in pain and staring hatefully at the Padawan. "What, you killed my men, but you're gonna stop when it comes to me? I'm not going to stop until you or your girlfriend are dead, and I only need to get lucky once!"

Holding still, he could feel the others behind him. The legionnaires were tense, Hisku was shocked and worried, but Er'izma? His master was just waiting. Not telling him not to, not disapproving, but not encouraging him or pointing out why he should either. No, the old man was just waiting, as if this didn't matter either way.

"One, she is my assistant, and my student, not my girlfriend," Jorel stated, seeing what was happening and leaning on his master's peace, centering himself easily, only, instead of calm neutrality, he felt like he spoke with the indifferent inevitability of the tide. "Two, there is no luck, only the Force. And three, if, somehow, you escape the punishment for your crimes, I will track you down and make sure justice is dealt out. Even if it's a decade from now, when I become a Knight. Or longer, if need be. You are not escaping justice, Puckrev, using me to commit suicide because you are too much of a coward to do it yourself."

With a click, his Lightsaber deactivated, and he stepped back. He tried to use Telekinesis to close the cage back up, but it slipped through his mental fingers, only for his Master to take over, easily doing it for him. The pirate started to shout something else, but his head slammed backwards into the bars as if thrown, knocking him out, the lack of another bloom of Dark in the force showing he wasn't dead.

Turning and nodding to his master in thanks, Jorel said, with complete calmness, "I believe I'm going to go be ill, and maybe shake uncontrollably for a little bit, as I haven't killed this many people in a long time."

His master nodded. "Sergeant Hisku, if you'd please accompany Padawan Jorel to his quarters," he requested blandly, as if he were commenting on the weather.

"I'm fine," the padawan tried to argue. "You don't need to-"

"Follow the Commander's orders?" his blue-skinned student asked, obviously shaken as well but hiding it. "I'm sorry, Padwan Drettz, while I might be your attaché, he's your commanding officer."

Jorel opened his mouth to disagree, but, well, he couldn't think of what to say, so he just nodded, carefully picking his way through the stunned and the dead. Stumbling, she caught him, and even though he wanted to walk out of here on his own, a small part of him saying not to rely on her, that she was weak, and a vulnerability. He ignored it, leaning on her a little as they walked out of what had once been the slave pens, and was now a bloody battlefield.

Book 1 Chapter 14
Book 1 Chapter 14
He hadn't been joking about the itching powder.

At first it was as part of a lesson, a 'mild irritant' to practice both her concentration and how to Force Heal, just a little, without sinking into a trance. "You'll rarely have time to heal in a fight, and if you have the opportunity to, it can be better spent elsewhere," her master had told her. Some Jedi dealt with things like gas by slowing down their biological processes, or using the Force to aid them, and she'd be learning that too, but 'Every technique has its place' had been another lesson.

By training the specific uses of the Force one could learn, in a variety of simulated situations, Master Lucian had shifted the exercises she'd completed previously from the theoretical, which she still sometimes had trouble with, to the practical, which she found much easier to grasp.

She could recite the Temple lessons taught to her about the uses of the Force, but, as she was learning, reciting lessons and understanding the lessons were two very different things. Turning a skill practiced on its own, at her own pace, with no distractions, into something that could be used in combat was not easy. However, being thrust into the situations where she needed to, instead of merely imagining the pressures one might face, was an excellent way to learn.

Anaïs had been working on evading blaster-fire from automated turrets, really devices that aimed and fired blaster rifles, when he'd called her to halt. She'd been using small barriers to try to block the shots, but was still tagged by every ninth bolt or so. "What now?" she'd asked, annoyed, familiar with the pattern, where she'd think she'd learned something, only to find out she'd made an assumption that'd hamstrung her progress.

"Good use of shields, but why aren't you stopping the shots?" her master had asked, curious.

She'd waved towards her lightsaber, hanging at the entrance of training hall. She'd left it behind in her room, once, when he told her she wasn't going to use it, only for him to tell her to always carry it unless she had a good reason, and not using it in that day's lesson wasn't a good reason.

"Because you aren't letting me use my saber?" she'd asked, incredulously. With it, and her Soresu training, this exercise would be easy, and, at the rate the 'turrets' were firing, she'd be hit by one shot in forty, if that.

Waving her to the step to the side, he'd taken her place, and started the turrets up again. At first he'd just. . . stepped. An odd, almost drunken looking dance as he weaved back and forth, shots missing him by inches, by less than that, but missing him all the same. Then he'd started to use barriers, the black, wispy circles of Force at first just appearing before he'd be hit, as he stood still and letting them take the shots, but the shields appeared less as he started to move, mixing the two defenses.

Then he'd seemed to grab the shield, using them to deflect the shots, and she stared, his presence in the Force unusually open, showing her how he did it. However, even this direct instruction, useful as it is, wouldn't be enough to use the shields as he was, though, she had to admit, it did help. Then the shields disappeared, and he gestured, forcing the turrets to point down, servos working as they tried to pull the rifles back up. Then another gesture, and they were let go, re-aiming at him only for the safeties on all the weapons to be flicked on, triggers pulling uselessly.

"Every technique has its place," he'd reminded her for what felt like the hundredth time. "Focus on one, and you will be skilled with it, but unless you are a true master of it, that will not be enough. Learn a few, with pre-determined uses, and things suddenly become a great deal easier."

Flicking the safeties off, he leapt away from the barrage of blaster fire, moving back and forth, but without the highly-controlled, precise, and yet seemingly random movements he'd had before. He looked to be dodging a bit like Jorel might move, or like she had. Shields popped into place, just long enough to catch a bolt, but not physical enough to deflect them fully, and he didn't stop moving, staring at the turrets. A flick of the fingers, and one of the turrets, the one she'd felt with Force-born certainty would hit him, was turned to the side, the shot going wild. Finding a moment of peace between volleys, he pushed in the Force, a tighter, more concentrated movement than he'd used to turn of the barrel, switching the safety of one rifle off. This, in turn, had made it easier to dodge the others, and he kept that pattern going until they were all off, and he stood, calmly. "Now you."

It'd taken her over thirty tries to do what he just had without getting hit more than once.

That said, the feeling of victory she'd felt, a pure and heartfelt happiness, had been worth it, as had Master Lucian's honest praise. Then he'd asked her to do it again, and halfway through her run, he'd tossed a handful of itching powder at her.

Needless to say, she hadn't repeat her previous performance.

And thus her days went. Seemingly impossible task, explanation, exhibition, success, complication to make the task seemingly impossible once more. Rinse, succeeded, receive praise, get covered in oil, fail, and, repeat. The tasks varied, but the structure did not, like holding a handstand with one arm, Force Control keeping her body supernaturally strong and steady to let her do so with ease, but then she needed to use the other hand to lift a weight with Telekinesis, and then thread it through a series of floating hoops. Then she was timed. Then the hoops moved. Then she had to balance a weight on her feet. Then the disk she was holding herself up on started to move. And then the itching powder came.

She'd managed to find where he'd stored it, and dust his robe with it when he'd taken it off to fix a turret she pulled a bit too hard to the side. He'd put it on, looked her right in the eyes, not said a word, and continued the lesson as normal, which wasn't fair at all. The fact that, anything he asked of her, he was more than willing to show her after she'd tried at least once was the only thing that made it bearable.

But, she couldn't deny it was working.

Running through the track, which seemed to change every day, she kept a low level of Force Control going, her steps almost unnaturally long and loping, but letting her move with deceptive speed. Turning a corner, wires were stretched all across the hallway, and each one, if pulled, would set off a puff of flame. Not enough to do more than hurt a moment, but enough to indicate an otherwise debilitating injury had they been something worse.

She knew she couldn't thread them all, she'd tried enough times, but her task wasn't to do so, it was to get to the other side. Stopping for a moment to gather herself, knowing if she waited too long a hidden trap would activate to keep her moving, to better simulate the 'you're being chased' aspect of the test, she gathered the Force around her. Thrusting her hands out, she let out a great wave of Telekinesis. It wasn't focused, she still couldn't do that with both strength and precision, but this one didn't need to be.

The hallway lit up with flame, a barrier pulled up in front of her, the 'blast' pushing harmlessly past her as it curved around her wall of force, leaving the hallway free. Dashing down it, she turned the corner, starting to move down it as gravity inverted, and she smoothly turned with it, running along the ceiling. Two thirds of the way down, the floor crumbled, revealing a cushion lined pit. The first time it'd been terrifying, the fifth time it'd been annoying, now it barely registered as she blasted down and back with telekinesis, like she would for a jump, the close quarters letting her do so after a single second of concentration to get her 'grip' on it. It wouldn't be enough to rise high into the air, especially without solid ground to jump from, but with the push angled backwards to move her forward, and pulling her legs up to clear the gap, she made it across, hitting with a roll and standing up straight as she ran. She was still moving with Force-granted speed as gravity switched back and she hit the far wall, pushing off of it into a large room full of training drones.

She'd frozen the first time she'd seen them, which was a mistake, and this time she kept moving, the droids trying to acquire her as a target, their tiny processors only able to handle so much information. As artificial beings, they had no minds to Confuse with the Force, but their movements were simplistic, only their flights around a target making them seem chaotic. Pushing her senses out, combining the two disciplines (though her master would call them one) of Force Sense and Farsight, she took in the room as she ran, and started to dodge, already two fifths of the way across the room when they locked onto her.

The dozens of training droids started to fire, and she could almost see the paths the bolts would take a second before they did, a pattern of criss-crossing red lines centered on her and her route. She dodged, never taking to the air, not committing to the arc that would've locked her into, shoving a few droids away without turning to look at them, though still needing to wave her hands, the trajectory of the low-powered bolts they were about to fire spinning away and opening up paths in front of her.

She knew it would be a hundred times harder with living opponents, who could react and work together, but her current level of skill was just enough to reach the other side, half-formed barriers blocking the few shots she couldn't dodge, only receiving a glancing blow to her forearm. From the lack of the buzzer, her Master decided it wouldn't be enough of a strike to cause her to fail, and she pressed on.

More and more rooms she pushed through, dangers avoided or countered, only the barest of 'damage' taken, before she turned the last corner and entered the training hall they normally used, where Master Lucian stood, waiting, his metal sword in one hand, her saber in the other.

"What?" Anaïs asked, not sure what this meant. "Did I pass?"

"Not yet," he informed her, a small smile on his lips as he tossed her the lightsaber. Reflexively checking it, she saw it was set for its full cutting power. He held his sword in front of himself, "Fight," he commanded, dashing forward so fast he was almost a blur.

Without thinking she activated her blade, catching the blow with her own, the sword somehow resisting the saber's blade, the Padawan already moving as the massive power behind the slash wasn't something she could match. Locking her arm, she used the force of her master's blow to push herself away, flying back a dozen feet even as he closed again, sword coming high in a sideways cut that she knew would take her head off if she didn't stop it.

Blocking it, this one didn't have the massive power behind it, not throwing her to the side, as she was prepared for, but knocking her to the side only by a foot, his sword twisting down to slash her side. She knew that if she wasn't careful he'd actually slash her, having done so before. It would end the fight, and she'd be tasked to stabilize herself, her master stepping in if she couldn't. Even if she could, he'd still heal her completely, so that she didn't even have a scar, the only thing left was her experiences

With her free hand, she created a Barrier, not perpendicular, to block the blow, but angled, to defect it.

"Good," he smiled, his slash sent off to the side, his free hand coming in for a punch, her own blade arcing in to hit him. He spun away rather than get hit, turning the spin into a more powerful blow, but she was already moving out of range, darting back in to stab him when his sword went wide, hitting nothing but air.

She missed, barely, as he turned the missed spinning strike into a jump to the side, landing and re-setting his guard. She took the offensive, and he let her, either because he knew it was her weak-point, or because he was testing her.

She slashed out, not stopping to strike, already away when his return strike came, leaning on her Master's specialty of Ataru to cover her natural hesitancy to strike with her own style. He followed, and she twisted, leaning back into defensive Soresu she favored, his first two blows standard, but she felt the disturbance in the Force as he empowered his body, ducking under the normal seeming third blow that would've hit with crushing strength. She came in for a low stab to his stomach, catching an empowered knee to the chin for the attempt, the man having seen it coming, stepping around the lunge and hitting her.

Her vision blurred for a moment as she went high into the air, reflexively jumping with the blow to lessen the damage, but she re-focused, and twisted mid-air as he moved to where she was set to land. A blast of telekinesis towards him diverted her path, pushing him off-center for a step, and she hit the ground, twisting around even as her Master charged for her, stumbling half-way to her.

He'd feigned injury before, to help her train against 'those who'd use deceit instead of skill', and she jumped on him, saber flashing out to both strike and avoid a possible counter-strike, only to be bodily picked up and tossed, Master Lucian easily bypassing her Force Presence, which normally kept Jedi from affecting each other directly, and sent her tumbling.

"Not now," he told her, and springing to her feet, she hesitated. He'd feigned physical injury or weakness, but hadn't told her to stop as part of her sparring. Not dropping her guard, she waited, feeling outwards into the Force, and almost stumbled herself. She had a sense of something else, something massive around her, invisible before, only seen in how it pressed against her master's presence, the horizon hemming in a storm, if the horizon could move.

"What. . .?" Anaïs asked, knowing she likely wasn't going to get an answer.

The Presence passed, and her master sighed, muttering, "At least we got this long," to himself.

"What was that?" she reiterated, now that he wasn't concentrating on whatever that was.

"That, my Padawan, was the Will of the Force," the young-looking man informed her with a resigned sigh. "Or at least how I perceive it. And we are leaving tomorrow morning."

"The. . . what?" she questioned. "Isn't the Will of the Force supposed to be quiet, soft, only the masters able to hear it deep in meditation?" It's what she'd been told, over and over again. That her teachers, her 'betters' a dark part of her whispered, had been able to hear it when she obviously could not, being a mere Initiate, and that was why she must obey them.

However, he nodded, "And to most, it is. But to those strong enough, with a solid enough. . . let's say connection, it can be clear as the spoken word. Or as loud as a shout in one's ear. What it rarely is, however, is informative. 'Go here', 'talk to this person', 'get involved in this war', never 'Here's what's going on and here's what I need you to do to avoid catastrophe!'" he complained, with the air of an old grudge.

"Um. . ." Anaïs said, not sure how to respond to that.

He shook his head. "You've gotten better, good enough I feel comfortable taking you out of here, though. Probably why it waited this long to ask, so I guess I should be grateful."

She had to ask, "So, how good am I?"

"Combat wise? You'd probably rank among what passes for a Knight nowadays," he replied casually, walking for the door, waving for her to follow.

Her first instinct was to repress the thrill of pleasure that assessment sent through her, but, remembering her training here, she didn't shove it down, letting it pass over her, noting it and what it meant, and let it go in its own time, not clinging to it. "And in other ways?"

"Dark Side Resistance of modern Knights, at least I hope it isn't lower than that. Modern Knight level healing, again possibly more," the centuries old man listed off. "Everything else, from negotiating, to stealth, to piloting, and more, you're still a Padawan, Padawan."

She nodded, expecting that from his comments. "And by your standards?"

"Shift Knight to mid or high Padawan, the others to low Padawan or high Initiate. Given I haven't done more than give you the barest of training in most fields, and we have been together for only months, that's to be expected," he shrugged. "But I only rate a Knight at negotiation, or leadership, or large-scale strategy. Enough to get by on my own, but no more. Those were always the Little One's forte, more than mine. But, while being well rounded is good, you only need to pass the Trials to be a Knight, after all."

"And would I?" she asked, nodding at his immediate, "No," but surprised at the man's added, "Nowadays, though, you might come close. If circumstances permitted."

She hesitated, speeding up to come up next to him. "R-really?" she questioned, incredulous.

"If you were anyone else's apprentice," he nodded. "The Trial of Skill you'd pass," he stated, motioning towards the track she'd just finished. "The Trial of Courage? Likely, depending on the method. Anything Dark Side related, at least the kind of thing they would normally give a prospective Knight? Absolutely. More often that not, though, from what Er'izma says, it's really just a more complex Trial of Skill half the time," he shrugged.

"The Trial of Flesh?" she asked, not surprised when he turned to toss a small handful of itching powder at her. It splashed against a barrier she threw up in an instant. A touch of Healing, all she could do without concentrating, cut the feelings from the irritant in half, and the rest she ignored. "Is that a yes?" she questioned, deadpan.

He smiled, "Between that, and the fact that you can heal a sliced stomach on your own? Yes, Anaïs, if things were fair, you would."

"Spirit?" she continued, noting his words.

He hesitated, grimacing, as if the words he was about to say annoyed him. "I don't know. Not yet. And likely not for a bit. I'd say yes, but I've been. . . wrong before. If they use something as simple as a Dark Item, low to mid-range, then probably, but there are more ways to test one's spirit than merely facing the Dark, and against a true Dark Artefact? No, but they shouldn't be testing you with one of those. Not that that's stopped them before."

"And Insight?" Anaïs asked, already knowing the answer.

Her master agreed with her thoughts, laughing, though it was gentle, "You'd fail, Padawan. Even if they only tested you like they would others, you would fail."

Out of all the Trials, the one that tested 'Insight' was the newest. 'Newest' being a general term, as it was almost a thousand years old. The Trial of Insight was one of intelligence and perception, added when Jedi could fight the Sith, complete dangerous assignments, withstand physical hardship, and face the darkness that dwelt within their own spirits, only to find themselves robbed by common thieves, or taken in by conmen, the lack of true Darkness within the criminals hearts obscuring the Knights to the all-too-real danger they could pose. However, the other things her Master said stood out to her.

"And they'll test me more than they would others?" said Padawan prompted.

He laughed again, this time not nearly as nice. "They'll be looking for a reason to fail you. Given who I am. Given who my previous apprentices were. Given how they feel about me. No, you'll be a Master, by their standards, before they'll let you be a Knight. And they won't accept battle-field Trials either, insisting on doing them where they can watch, and where they can stack the deck against you."

She nodded, having expected that, but he wasn't done, "You'll be a Master, before they'll let you be a Knight, and by the time you're a Master to them, like the Little One, you won't care what a bunch of wizened, out of touch, arrogant, self-important, hypocritical busybodies 'declare' you," he frowned, something between anger, disgust, sadness, and resignation in his tone. "Then again, the only difference is in the permissions you have in the Temple and the esteem that those who do not know you hold you in. The approval of the Jumping Bean and his lackeys mean very little to the greater galaxy, you'll find."

". . . Not a fan of the High Council, are you Master?" she had to remark, smiling a little.

The returning dry look was completely deserved, "Padawan, your powers of observation are great indeed. Maybe you truly can pass the Trial of Insight after all!"

The returned to the common area in silence, the feelings of. . . almost melancholic nostalgia building, though she didn't know why, and she hesitated, not going to her room to shower. Her master started to amble over to the kitchen to make dinner, cooking being yet another skill he'd insisted she'd learn the basics of, but in which he'd outstripped her, and she was glad to let him take the lead on. "Master Lucian?" she asked.

He stopped, turning, as if he'd expected the question. With the Force Bond between them, he might've, able to feel whatever it was that she was now. "Yes, Padawan Anaïs?"

It was hard to put into words, but even as she gave to it, she thought she understood what she was feeling. "Are we ever coming back here?"

Pausing, he cocked his head, as if listening to something only he could hear. "Not for a while, Anaïs. The future, despite what some might suggest, is not set in stone. However it runs in certain. . . paths, the trail fainter and fainter the further one looks. It splits and forks, but, if we were to follow the Will, at least as I understand it, we won't return soon, possibly for years, possibly at all. I'll leave a note for her, in case I miss our meeting," he said, more to himself than Anaïs.

"Her?" she asked.

Her Master's eyes went distant. "A childhood friend, from my time as a Padawan." His eyes sharpened, almost too much, and his Presence in the Force, the dark storm, seemed to freeze, crystallizing into obsidian shot through with glowing veins of dark lightning. He looked to her, then down to her breast, where her pendant hung, underneath her shirt, instructing in quiet tones, "Keep that, and it may help you one day. In many ways." His voice hung in the air for a moment, seeming to reverberate in the air.

"Master?" she asked, suddenly unsure of what was happening, repressing the urge to reach up and touch the metal-encased, bloody talon.

He shook his head, blinking, and his presence returned to normal, a hint of something else peeking from inside the maelstrom, but quickly covered once more. "Just do so, Padawan," he said, turning away. "Wash up, and start packing. We leave at dawn."

Jorel glanced at porcelain cup

Anaïs wondered who her Master had talked to learn this

"Did. . . Did you color everything the same purple as your lightsaber?" he asked incredulously.

A moment later a panic yelped carried down the hallway.

while the man poured over a datascreen.

She rebuked herself for ever thinking himself evil

And you were trained sword fighting because. . . ?

where both of them were careful not to overdo it, Even them, both of them a little sweaty
it. Even then,
both of them were?
Major Zara, activate the backup hyperdrive.
Oh, no, they didn't... They did. That is a delicious case of loophole abuse!
and that it would be our <asters who showed us the deeper secrets of the Force,
our masters
I know that your use of Varriers certainly wasn't taught to you
use of barriers
Your teachers were either lying, or had been mislead themselves
misled
If you break bones, I'll reform them for you. I know you aren't at that level. Yet. Never say I am not a benevolent Master.
He's gotta have just the most smug, evil grin on his face right now. I love it when characters do this. :D

Very cool. Sorry nothing really constructive to say just a very enjoyable story I will keep an eye on. Thanks for letting us read it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back