1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Styling requests

Discussion in 'Suggestions & Bugs' started by alethiophile, Nov 28, 2014.

1. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

Perfectly fine.

Much obliged.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  2. HypoSoc

HypoSoc The mind is such a fragile plaything.

So, tags seem to be missing from the UI.X themes.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  3. Bre Karn

Bre Karn (Very Slow) Writer of Glorious Smut

I don't exactly know where to put this query/request, but is it be possible to use or import exotic fonts? I'm rather fond of Kingthings Petrock or Alte Schwabacher, for fantasy quests. Runes (though classic Futhark or Futhorc over Tolkien runes), Enochian, Alphabet of the Magi would also be awesome.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  4. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

If you wanted the site text changed to any of those fonts that'd be a legitimate style request, however if you want to type in that font you'd have to ask the administration.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  5. Priapus

Priapus Engorged member

I had an idea for a style that might make a decent addition to the QQ lineup.

It is coming to be understood that blue light at night signals to teh brain that it should be awake and alert, and thus screws with your sleep patterns.

This is especially relevant to QQ, with its large swathes of content that one might wish to partake of away from prying eyes, at night.

Thus, a style which avoids blue in its entirety could be quite good. I was thinking something like a style consisting of high-contrast black and orange.

Does that sound like something worthwhile?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  6. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Okay, quick lesson on how fonts work on the internet: the website does not supply the font, the browser does. So, when you have a block of text in Times New Roman, what's happening is that the website is saying 'Okay, and this bit? Display it in Times New Roman', and it is the browser that has to decide what 'Times New Roman' looks like.
    This means that, even if QQ was updated to allow those fonts, they would only work for people who have them installed on their computer. Anybody else, their browser would just go 'You want me to display this text in "Kingthings Petrock"? WTF is "Kingthings Petrock"? Bah, I'll just use my default font instead.'

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  7. Nekraa

Nekraa Nekraa Moderator

Really? I thought QQ could use different fonts. Or what am I doing now?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  8. Bre Karn

Really? I have the fonts installed on my computer, and I can't display them on QQ at all even just for me.
    Conversely, on another website I was able to read fonts that were not installed on my computer at the time.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  9. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

You can use a number of different fonts here, yes. The fonts QQ supports are what are called 'web-safe fonts' - standard fonts that nearly all computers and browsers support.

Yes, because QQ restricts the fonts you are allowed to post in to a specific list. If the fonts you are asking for were added to that list, they would work for you, but not for anybody else who didn't have them installed.

Really? Which site, which fonts, and how do you know they weren't installed? Because that shouldn't be possible, unless the site was sending you the text as images or something. (Unless, maybe, somebody's come up with some sort of HTML extension to allow sites to provide custom fonts on demand? If so, I haven't hear of it.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  10. Bre Karn

Alte Schwarbacher on Anonkun.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  11. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

*shrugs*
    But point remains: Standard HTML4+CSS cannot serve fonts, only specify them.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  12. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

Most everything you explained is correct, except this. It's possible to serve custom fonts stored in Web Open Font Format (WOFF) using CSS @font-face rules. Google serves quite a few public fonts in that manner. (for example, the Josefin font; you can see what it looks like here, though those are just images, not downloaded)

Of course there's no way to allow that in web forums, because the code necessary to embed such things would be a security nightmare if you allowed users to add it. However it would not be completely untenable to allow the admins to specify such fonts in the UI list, automatically adding them to the CSS that gets loaded, or even hosting them locally. You'd probably want someone like Xon to actually do the work to make it happen, though.

Edit: You can review all the fonts Google hosts here, though the requested ones sadly aren't on that list. Fontsquirrel allows you to download WOFF format packs for those fonts, though, so theoretically it's hostable on QQ.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2016
    Ddmkm122, Ampersandwich and evildice like this.
  13. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

I've replied in the other thread. The short version is that it would require a reasonable degree of customization, and I don't have that much time available. If it happened, it would likely wait until the end of the semester, at earliest.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  14. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Ah, neat. You learn something new every day. Proposed in 2009, which is why I had not heard of it; my last formal schooling in HTML was back in high school.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  15. Ampersandwich

Ampersandwich Outl&ish Gr& Panj&rum

On Dark Responsive (Green), the spoiler-box background color is currently #4E4E4E, which seems unusually bright. Could it be brought down to at least the color of the quote-box background, #303030?

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  16. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

Testing
    Done.

17. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Has something changed in the Blackend-Green style recently? The outline colour on some popup-style dialogues, such as the Watch/Unwatch thread dialogue, is a much brighter green than I remember it being.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  18. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

That was probably me, could you be specific and possibly provide screenshots. I'll take a look at it tomorrow if no one else has.

Ddmkm122 and Priapus like this.
  19. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Never mind; it seems to have gone back to normal. For reference, see the green outline on the dialogue box in this image? For a while, it was showing up as a bright, lime green, rather than the muted green you see there, which was rather glaring and clashed terribly with the rest of the theme.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  20. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

Oh, Blackend-Green, yeah I was sleepy and thought you said Dark Responsive (Green). Yeah I haven't touched Blackend-Green in a long while.

Ddmkm122 and Priapus like this.
  21. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Would it be possible to get a preference to change the date format? In particular, I'd like it if there were a way to see times, as well as dates, on timestamps older than a few days. It would also be nice to be able to use my preferred 24-hour clock.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  22. Nuit

Nuit L'immortale Capo

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  23. alethiophile

alethiophile Shadowed Philosopher Administrator

After a bit of poking around, it appears this would require changing global settings and/or poking into the PHP code itself.

I can look further a bit later, but it will likely have to wait.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  24. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

Mouse over does that.

that would be great, yes.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  25. macdjord

macdjord Well worn.

Didn't know that. Thanks! (I'd still prefer an alternate date format that just shows the time outright, but this is workable.)

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  26. daniel_gudman

daniel_gudman KING (in land of blind)

Is there support for the TABLE function in BBC Code? I didn't see it mentioned on the help page and I'm not getting it to work.

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  27. Kinematics

Kinematics Well worn.

You have to use [xtable], with the table components defined using braces like {tbody} instead of brackets.

Look at the raw BBCode of this post for an example.

PolyCheatBreakup

Ddmkm122, Walkir and daniel_gudman like this.
  28. daniel_gudman

cool, thanks dood

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  29. daniel_gudman

Is there support for uploading & attaching files to posts?

I saw reference to syntax for the ATTACH tag on the help page, but does that include uploading a file onto my profile or something or is it more like an imbedded link?

If we can attach files, are there any expectations or rules about sizes and file types? (Eg no multi-GB EXE files).

Ddmkm122 likes this.
  30. Walkir

Walkir Super Happy Awesome Fun Time On Vacation

Last time I asked for this as a subscriber feature, the staff saw no point in adding it.

Ddmkm122 likes this.