• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Tyranids "R" Us [40k Tyranid Hivemind SI]

Status
Not open for further replies.
full AI members of the Coalition had decided that better AI societal integration would require partial AI with capabilities closer to that of individual humans than entire departments of experts
What about Mind Uploads that became AI Gods as well?

I do love me some Orion's Arm.

Edit:
Century Cap means that nobody, all the way to the very, very top, is allowed to hold one job for more than a Century, because otherwise old people like me would hold all the jobs, and young people like you would have to wait for a new job entirely to appear before you could get work!

This should also stave off some ennui and cause every human to expand their skill set to the point of eventually bootstrapping an entire interstellar civ from a single person if needed. Kek.

Edit:
She knew it was because the room was finely tuned to enable the resonance between partners that allowed for psychic communication, but the reverent feeling of connecting to something so much larger than herself gave her goosebumps every time.
I just noticed. They aren't just feeling the other bonded humans but the Tyranid Hivemind itself. Ha!

Last edited:
I just noticed. They aren't just feeling the other bonded humans but the Tyranid Hivemind itself. Ha!
Yup. While they're not in direct contact, it's a bit like being close to high voltage powerline can give you a phantom buzzing in your bones. You can feel the size of what surrounds you.

Yup. While they're not in direct contact, it's a bit like being close to high voltage powerline can give you a phantom buzzing in your bones. You can feel the size of what surrounds you.
I'd think being enveloped by the psychic/spiritual presence of what might as well be an omnipotent living galactic supercluster would be be quite the religious experience.
Oh, I have theories, but I would need to find a Necron Tomb World to confirm or deny any of them, lacking a human example to study safely
Well, you're in luck my biokinetic overmind friend. The Necrons desperately wish for their previous forms for the sensations they allowed. (Though I can't see why they couldn't just alter their necrodermis and engrams to allow for such sensations but anyways...)

If you can find a way to get them their flesh back they'd hail you as a friend to all Necron in perpetuity. Colabs would no longer be a dangerous gamble but one done willingly and enthusiastically.

Well, you're in luck my biokinetic overmind friend. The Necrons desperately wish for their previous forms for the sensations they allowed. (Though I can't see why they couldn't just alter their necrodermis and engrams to allow for such sensations but anyways...)

If you can find a way to get them their flesh back they'd hail you as a friend to all Necron in perpetuity. Colabs would no longer be a dangerous gamble but one done willingly and enthusiastically.
Only issue is the Necrons have an Eldar sized (and Drukhari themed) stick up their ass about their superiority and unlike the Eldar they came by their mastery over the universe organically and have ever right to be the smug pricks that they are.

The C'tan might have jumpstarted their ascension but the Necrons spite would have seen them there eventually. A lot of their greatest works are created by them and them alone, they broke their gods and shackled their shards on their own after all.

If I was a better artist I'd fucking draw Emps riding a Horned Battle Bear into battle like a better Boris Ursun.

Who the fuck needs tanks or Daemons when BEAR!
With the partner bonds being a thing wouldn't that make Berzerkers more authentic when they're fighting while in communion with a bear partners spirit? Kek.

With the partner bonds being a thing wouldn't that make Berzerkers more authentic when they're fighting while in communion with a bear partners spirit? Kek.

Prototype Space wolves. a stable Canis helix? but not limeted to Canis only.
Learn to draw characteristics from their Partner Bond.
Explain how it actually works -> Psyker shenanigans i aint got to explain in detail it just happens

Prototype Space wolves. a stable Canis helix? but not limeted to Canis only.
Learn to draw characteristics from their Partner Bond.
Explain how it actually works -> Psyker shenanigans i aint got to explain in detail it just happens
Like in the pokemon manga where the trainer and pokemon can fuse? Henshin, Ha!

Edit:

Say, could souled AI form a partner bond with humans?

Last edited:
"Worrying. And yet you mentioned you see yourself as a human despite your rather alien mindset. Are you speaking from a philosophical and ethical perspective, or-"

It would have been better if they just identified themselves as a powerful Hivemind that genuinely liked and fell in-loved with humanity.

What Big E was trying to guess was more interesting than the whole "I'm actually human durr hurr see you can trust cuz me human so let's be fwiends uwu" that this story got.

Would Big E here not trust the Hivemind if it indentified itself as "not human"?

"No, the literal sense. I was inserted, as a human mind, into this universe from a parallel dimension far enough away that I can't reasonably expect to return under any circumstances.
and I had fun s
sharing the bounty with the Emperor

WHY ARE THEY TOO MUCH OF A F#CKING FAN!? WHY ARE THEY SO F#CKING TRUSTING!?

I can't stand it!

The Drukhari were the segment of the Eldar population who were into the super depraved stuff. Like the furries.

You're saying as if other groups and fandoms doesn't have any super depraved stuff in their own closets.

*gestures to the whole QQ forum site*

Am I the only one wondering why the Hivemind doesn't have any coloring in their speech and Big E is the only one who does so far?

:V

So, to answer the people who are still wondering about Big E's partner symbology.
There were some very cool guesses, but what I was actually basing it off of was Heraldry.
I was surprised nobody guessed that, but I guess my brain just works weird.
So it's a Bear with a crown of antlers.
Which, in heraldic terms, equates to (Strength) of (Rule/Authority) for (Ferocity in protecting kindred)
Or to phrase it a different way. "A strong leader to protect mankind."

202M04 Orky Good Fun
202 M04
"Roit. Iz everybody ready? We're gunna finally test dis fing." Skaggard Ar Faceshredda was doing something unusual for a warboss. He was giving a presentation. He even had an open-air stage and everything.

"Yeah, yeah. Wot are ya kall'n it anyway? sure, it looks right an propa killy, but it doesn't even have any 'plosives on it!" Complained an ork in the front row… blob? -ish. It was an ork near the front.

"Dis beaut' iz a railgun!" Their warband hadn't had a proper scrap in far too long, and some of the boyz had gone a bit around the bend.

"But itz not ev'n on rails, ya nobhead. It's a build'n."

Skaggard covered his face with a massive hand. These other orks were some of the best and the brightest he had. It wouldn't do to kill them because they were annoying. "Itz a railgun 'cos da bullet uses rails. Not 'da shoota"

"Wul yah, but it-" A giant axe cleaved through the orc's head, finally stopping his yammering. Perhaps only a little bit of murder? That seemed like an alright compromise.

"Az I wuz sayin'. Itz a railgun, an' it's gunna shoot 'da gits 'n space 'dat don't have 'da decency ta kome down an' fight like propa orks." There were some nods among the audience. Good, this seemed to be working. Anything to avoid doing the eldritch and impossible horrors known as budgeting and logistics. Skaggard made a brief sign of the MadScullz to ward off the idea.

"So we'z gunna shoot im, an den we kan be 'da ones ta be blown up right an gud, ratha dan dose idiots talk'n about screamjets or whateva." More nods.

It was only proper that they were the ones to get blown up. They were the ones making the best advances, even if it meant dealing with the unmentionables.

"Roight, so when i hit dis button on 'da kount uv ten, 'da railgun iz gunna shoot wun uv dose satamawhotsits outta 'da sky, an' we kan get ta mak'n a bigga gun ta shoot more fings outta 'da sky, like dose grot-lickin' heavy helicarriaz dat 'da flyboys used ta krump us wiff' lass time." More enthusiastic nodding. It wasn't right, having a big killy machine and then not even mounting a giant cannon on it. It just flew around and launched more killy machines at them.

"'Ere we go, 'Ere we go. One, free, ten!"

A meaty fist smashed the big red button (as was only right), and then several things happened in rapid succession.

The post that the button was on buckled from the over-enthusiastic smash.

The very air around them developed a deep humming sound as unseen machines built up their charge.

The massive set of crudely welded rails, more than a meter apart to allow for the massive projectile, started releasing giant arcs of electricity.

The rivets holding the rails to the building-sized gimbal started glowing cherry red, even as several of them popped off due to the entire structure slewing to the side and elevating the rails to point at the nearest geostationary satellite.

Several capacitor sheds blew up, killing the orks nearby as they gaped at the giant structure preparing to fire.

Heat waves started wafting off the rails as they started to glow a dull red.

There was a bone-shaking "thunk" as the ork-sized solid projectile was loaded between the rails.

A red flash appeared briefly in front of the rails with a loud crack of thunder, stretching off into space as it blew an ionized channel through the atmosphere.

And finally?

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzap-BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

The earth heaved as the entire building shifted backwards and the rails were driven into the solid rock from recoil, and the projectile left an eye-searingly bright afterimage as it disappeared into the distance.

And then four seconds later, there was a bloom of fire, just barely visible among the first twinkles of the first stars of the night.

And each and every ork raised their arms and yelled in a howling, growling, living cry.

"Waaaaaaaaaaaagh!"
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"
"Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!"
WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

Heh. Nice. Ten points. They managed to actually hit one of my observational satellites. Time to prune them back a bit and see how they respond. The psychic energy from that last call reached beyond this solar system, so I suspect there will be more orks headed this way soon.

Heh. Nice. Ten points. They managed to actually hit one of my observational satellites. Time to prune them back a bit and see how they respond. The psychic energy from that last call reached beyond this solar system, so I suspect there will be more orks headed this way soon.
I wonder if he's purposely trying to bring them back into Krork levels of capabilities while slowly rehabilitating them on a species/societal level.

I wonder if he's purposely trying to bring them back into Krork levels of capabilities while slowly rehabilitating them on a species/societal level.
This is just his petri-dish, do study orks. Prod them to see what they do and how, and when they get too big you burn the sample.

599M04 FTL Upgrade
599 M04
I love getting returns on investment. Or, in this case, reciprocal gifts. While I had been focusing on breadth of research into wraithbone, dabbling in just about every field, the Emperor had decided to go all in on depth of research; on the mass of wraithbone specifically. The thing he had been searching for? Virtual mass. And with good reason too. Being able to selectively express which parts of physics reacted as though there were a giant mass in specific places was a huge help for a number of technologies. The most immediately applicable and interesting was with the gravitational lensing technology.

Gravitational lensing had two primary downsides.

One is that you needed at least one fuckoff huge ship over a hundred kilometers long to breach the energy barrier required to initiate the effect. These long, skinny space needles were about as maneuverable as trying to ride a greased angry pig bareback, thanks to the relative cross-sectional area vs the mind-bogglingly huge moment of inertia. Of course, once the spatial compression was actually in effect, you could travel with as many ships as you wanted, so long as they all fit in the sphere 112 km wide sphere determined by the very ends of the spatial compressor ship itself. It's one of the reasons why getting stations set up was so important, those spatial compression ships were a pain in the ass to move around. Especially since all the other ships in the fleet had to be close enough that they were in accidental smacking range when the mostly unmanned needles were turning.

The second is that it was useless or at least very slow for traveling to low-mass stars. Half a solar mass dropped your speed down to less than one lightyear per day, and if you wanted to visit a brown dwarf for some reason? Hope you enjoy less than a third of a lightyear per day. You could kind of get around it if there was a more massive star roughly in line with your direction of travel and behind the brown dwarf, but targeting started to become an issue, and keeping the fleet together suddenly became an order of magnitude harder because of the relative motion.

Having access to virtual mass on demand solved both of those issues, at least to some extent. Suddenly the minimum length of a ship required to breach the energy barrier was just under a dozen kilometers, which meant that if you were willing to build pretty big ships, every interstellar vessel could have true FTL capabilities, which meant that an armada couldn't be stranded just by taking out the one visibly distinct space needle. The more interesting effect though, was that you could target two sources of mass for the spatial compression, the destination star, and the virtual mass of the ship itself. Thanks to how the math worked out, we could currently manage a virtual mass large enough for 0.8 lightyear per day travel. 0.8 lightyears per day was completely irrelevant when traveling longer distances, since you could just use larger stars and the supermassive starways, but it was a godsend for traveling to low mass stars, or even to interstellar space. Suddenly every stellar destination could manage more than a lightyear per day, and even interstellar space could be accurately targeted with nearly a lightyear per day, which also meant that it could be safely used for in-system maneuvering, at long last.

So now our ships were much more nimble when puttering around a star, and we no longer had to account for entire fleets moving together in order to make any FTL transits worthwhile. Space tourism wasn't quite possible on an individual scale, since you did still require a ship a dozen kilometers long, but suddenly visiting people on other planets and living around other stars was a much more reasonable concept.

Of course, all of that travel could be made four or five times faster by using the warp-skimming method the Emperor and I had devised, but after getting so far with technology that didn't leave any detectable warp presence from each transit, we were loath to start leaving highly detectable wakes behind our ships. That, and our proto-Gellar fields weren't as strong as we wanted when we ran the simulations for being powered by individual humans and what technology they were bringing with them, rather than being powered by Big E or myself.

Technically, warp protective shields weren't required to use warp skimming, but that assumed a smooth warp. If the reaspace-interface surface of the warp was churned up for any reason, you would get literal waves of Chaos energies washing over the ships. It required an extremely choppy warp storm to get that bad, but we knew what was coming, and "extremely choppy" was an understatement.

Speaking of which, preparations for the birth of Slaanesh were going well, albeit slowly. With my cute little Exodite friends spreading the word of a specific doom-date among the Eldar that cared to listen, many more Eldar heard the date as a byproduct, and it was causing an interesting crystallization in the warp. Normally, events that caused societal change made future-sight less predictable, but with a very specific doom-date to look forward to, and indeed, many of the pleasure-seeking Eldar that heard such a date were looking forwards to it, it was turning into a self-fulfilling prophecy. While the prediction used to be 140 M30 plus or minus a decade, we could now narrow it down to 141 M30 plus or minus a few months. By the time we hit M30, it was going to be accurate down to a few days if the trend continued.

Oh, and my cute little Exodites were getting somewhat of a reputation. "Void-touched" they were called, and while a very select few Eldar were glad for the advanced warning, the vast, vast majority dug their heels in and plugged their metaphorical pointy ears. That tribe that I contacted, and eventually all the tribes on that planet, were both slowly building a rapport with me, and were getting very good at fighting. After all, when a pleasure-seeking Eldar is given bad news, "shoot the messenger" isn't just the overall plan, that plan then gains extra steps like "and then play with the body".

I got a kick out of the fact that the Void-touched Exodites were becoming hyper-lethal escape artists and they had taken to my instructions with gusto. I guess such an important, but more importantly difficult and somber "duty" was right in line with their philosophy of self-denial and honest hard work. That, and they made the funniest faces any time I gave them more news.

807M04 Bone-Sing-Song
807 M04
SNG-31, Song to his friends, hummed absentmindedly as he examined the break in the municipal dataline, and his beautiful partner Aria warbled in harmony with him. The music actually served a purpose too; while it was technically possible to modify wraithbone with purely intellectual manipulation using your partner bond as a focus, anything beyond trivial party tricks required mnemonics and harmonic algorithms that were much easier to focus through song.

And currently, his song was telling him that… the break caused by an over-enthusiastic construction crew was going to be fairly simple to repair. While normally the well-protected dataline would be too tough to damage even with excavation equipment, the hard granite that was close to the surface around here necessitated using an excavator with wraithbone teeth on the cutting edge. While the damaged wraithbone tooth would be a simple matter of swapping it out and letting it regrow overnight in the company's grow-tank, the dataline couldn't be taken to the factory that had the necessary grow-tanks for datalines because it was installed already.

With a minor adjustment to the clamps holding the ends together, Song turned to his partner. "Are you ready, my friend?"

The iridescent bird gave an affirmative chirp, and they focused on their eternal bond to each other to begin the Song of Repair. First, the diagnostic verse, which served as the underlying structure describing exactly what they were working on, and which Song was skilled enough to produce on his own. Then Aria chimed in with the refrain of purity, which helped ensure no dirt or foreign material could get sealed into the new growth.

Then came the hard part. Song and Aria both started moving their sub-harmonics up and down the scale to warm up, before using the overlapping notes to sing the chorus of mending, while still singing their own parts of the song at the same time.

The three part harmony swelled and swayed for several minutes as the wraithbone flowed together like a liquid, before smoothing out and returning to its pristine appearance.

Finally, they drew all three parts of the song together into the coda of sealing, to ensure that there were no weak points in the freshly formed material, and with one last crooning note, the song ended.

Song grinned at his partner. "Always satisfying to manage that, eh Aria?" Indeed, what would normally require three sets of journeyman skilled humans and partners to each sing one part of the harmony, Song and his partner could manage alone, although that was to be expected, with more than two and a half centuries of expertise in bone-singing.

A man cleared his throat to get their attention. "That was beautiful, Song. Now that you're done with that project though, I was hoping you could stop by the clinic. PEB-81 managed to break his arm by being incautious around a landing aircar. We were hoping you could take a look at it. Our bone-singer specialist would take several hours to fly out here."

Song nodded. "No problem, Elam. Always happy to help."

On the way towards the clinic of the small town where he lived, Song was reminded of his days as a young synth. Even before he had Aria, he had always been fascinated by bone-singing. To a young boy obsessed with technology, the little chip of wraithfire in his chest was just the coolest thing ever. Even five centuries later, he was still amazed. While they did have arrays of wraithbone that could slowly produce specific predetermined shapes of the wonder material in a similar, albeit far more complicated, method that grow-tanks used, the arrays themselves were the most complex machines Song knew of. Seeing one in person during his apprenticeship was the highlight of his century. They were quite literally beyond human comprehension in complexity. It was somewhat of an open secret in the industry that such powerful arrays were personally constructed by planetary-governor level AI, because no human scale mind could contain all the information required. Even then, designing the arrays was still a mystery, since even planetary-governor level AI would struggle with such a feat.

Perhaps there was an AI out there just as fascinated with bone-singing as Song was.

I love how the older one gets the more "in the know" they are.
In a way, it's sort of inevitable, since little bits and pieces of evidence would just start stacking up over time, and unless you're willfully ignorant, enough snowflakes can cause an avalanche.

The Exodites become even more hyperlethal and appreciative of the Hivemind while he also gets more data to play with. What could possibly go wrong? Kek.

With the Hiveminds help Entire Exodite Worlds will become Death Worlds to outsiders where every single flora and fauna instantly becomes a nigh unstoppable murder blender.

Edit:
Speaking of Virtual Mass and wakes, if stealth is no longer a concern an alcubierre drive would be an excellent option for both transport and destructive potential.

Just flyby a system and remove some safeties and watch as the orbitals get fucked into a death spiral into the local star, assuming it doesn't detonate, or the interstellar void, and the planets rip themselves apart either way. kek.

Last edited:
169M05 Bad Breakup
169 M05
Orm-self was hurting, but Orm-self had been hurt before, and recovered. This time, something was more wrong. Kally knew that humans-selves sometimes needed time alone from each other. They shouldn't want time alone from Kally though!

Kally had tried everything. She brought Orm-self snacks, and had brought otherfriends over, and had let Herro-self know that Tumua would need to stay away for a while, because their broken human-bond was painful for Orm-self.

But Orm-self was still hurting! Kally tried snuggling up next to Orm-self like when they were young, and Orm-self was missing his family-bonds at school.

"Get off, you damn mutt (anger). I can't stand your pity right now (rejection). Bad enough that Tumua broke up with me (loneliness). I don't need your fucking pushing (self-pity)." He pushed her off the bed with an uncoordinated shove.

Kally whined. There had to be a way to get Orm-self to stop his sickness! Orm-self was only in bed in the first place because Ortaal helped Kally drag Orm-self there when Orm-self fell over from huffing solvent when Kally was busy bringing over one of Orm-self's otherfriends. Ortaal had just sighed and said it was like before Orm-self bonded with Kally. That wasn't right! Orm-self had Kally now!

"I can feel your fucking worry spirals, Kally (anger). I can't take it anymore (desperation)." Orm-self stumbled out of bed and popped open a sealed container, and Kally's eyes widened at the smell of [bond-suppressant]. Kally thought Kally had destroyed all the ones Orm-self had stolen from the back room of the medicine-place!

Kally desperately tried to get it away from Orm-self, but Kally was small, and Orm-self just pushed her away.

Kally could feel it the moment the [bond-suppressant] started to work. It was supposed to reduce the pain from broken self-bonds when partner-selves or humans-selves died in an accident. But now, it felt like Kally's self-bond was heavy and weak.

Kally wrinkled her nose in disgust. With Kally's self-bond [suppressed] the room smelled disgusting. Like sweat, (loneliness), and something else. Something that made Kally want to snarl. It was faint, but Kally could smell ENEMY on Orm. Immediately, Kally's mind opened up to Partner-whole. Partner-whole knew the smell of ENEMY, and started paying closer attention. Kally-self and Herro-self and Glori-self and Yimm-self all spoke of Orm. Of Orm's broken human-bond, and Orm's suppressed partner-bond. Partner-whole knew that with Orm's suppressed partner-bond and his weakness Orm would be more vulnerable to ENEMY.

Something would need to be done. Partner-whole gave subtle hints to Nessa-self, who's human-self was an ENEMY-hunter. Nessa-self and her human-partner perked up and looked at each other, before their noses twitched and their eyes cast in Orm's exact direction. Something would be done.

With that, Kally withdrew from Partner-whole. Good. Help was coming. If Orm wouldn't listen to Kally, then Orm would listen to ENEMY-hunter. Orm wouldn't have a choice. And then Orm would have some sense knocked into him, and Orm would accept Kally's help again.

Nessa and Rashah looked at each other. It was that time again. Most people in the Coalition didn't know, or honestly even need to know, but Chaos was out there, ready to prey on those who were just the wrong combination of susceptible, stupid, and unlucky. While there had never been a recorded case of full possession, subtler works could make it through the protective web of partner bonds that surrounded humanity.

They climbed into the squad car. Rashah entered the address and the car took off, while Nessa focused on their bond, and that little bit of the bond that stretched beyond, in order to gather more details, and Rashah typed those details up as they flew.

Male, second century, just went through a bad breakup, already had notes in his file from Primary that he had a tendency towards substance abuse and notes from Secondary of bond-negligence and even a report of attempted bond-suppressant theft. That was a tightly controlled substance for a reason. Partially because it was an enabler for so much worse. The worst pre-partner vices writ large when people shunned the one being that would always have their best interests at heart in order to pursue fleeting highs. Likely to be a bad case then. They would have to be thorough.

Nessa whined, and Rashah looked over at her. "I know, hun. But we deal with it so that most people never even need to worry about it. Bond-negligence cases are the worst."

And it was true. Partner-death cases were more common, but also more understandable and often faster to recover, as a new partner bond took time to form, and even longer to heal the old wound, but patients could feel the recovery day by day, so they were usually looking forwards, even in the roughest times. Bond-negligence though… often meant there was just something fundamentally wrong with the human, and sometimes in subtle or insidious ways.

"We'll get him straightened out. And should the worst come to pass? Well, at least we can help Kally find a new human."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back