• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Tyranids "R" Us [40k Tyranid Hivemind SI]

Status
Not open for further replies.
626M03 Exodites
626 M03
Ah phooey. Another Eldar world nearby. Mark it on the map, I guess. At least they were easy to detect from hundreds of lightyears away, thanks to their psychic presence. Which, rather than hiding, they actively flaunted.

While I certainly had no problems throwing a few Petatons away on a whim, if the Eldar warmachine at the height of its power noticed humanity, it would be bad news for the humans.

Actually… getting some bearings on this particular planet… it was only forty-seven lightyears away? That didn't make any sense. Of the hundreds of Eldar worlds I've detected and mapped, all of them were giant beacons of psychic energy. Running through the statistics momentarily negated the idea that I just missed smaller colonies due to their lower presence making them harder to detect. I still should have found dozens by now if they were a regular occurrence. Eldar didn't really do smaller colonies, and they certainly didn't found new colonies, other than the Exodites-

Ah. I think I've answered my own question.

Exodites were odd ducks. The Eldar equivalent of a modern human decrying technology and going to live as a monk at a hermitage. They did so in roughly equivalent percentages of the total population of ascetic monks among humans. The difference in populations, however, meant that there were entire worlds populated by Exodites, albeit sparsely. They were on track to be the only group to consistently survive the fall of the Eldar in a bit less than thirty thousand years. This was primarily thanks to their philosophy; one of self-denial and hard work in direct opposition to the open lustful decadence of the majority of the Eldar population. This abstention saved them from the hungers of Slaanesh, at least during the birth of that entity that spelled the death of the rest of their civilization.

As stuck-up, self-righteous, dismissive aliens go, these guys were not bad. I would even go so far as to say that they were actually worth saving, unlike those who followed the philosophy of the majority of the Eldar.

Now I just needed to decide how to play this.

Actually…

"Hey Big E! I found some Exodites."

I got an amused sense of interest back. "Did you now. Well, what were you planning on doing with them?"

"Well, I don't have any firm plans, so chime in if you have a better idea, but here's what I was thinking-"

639 M03
Menekas was watching the herds, eyes and mind sharp for predators, when he spotted an unusual biped walking calmly in his direction, ignoring their pack-lizards. While the three meter tall animal was obviously a predator of some sort, it was not one that he recognized, which should be impossible given their tribe's meticulous surveys of the planet over the past four hundred years.

A suspicion struck him. It would be just like those disgusting Drukhari to bring an alpha-predator to an Exodite world just to watch as it slaughtered its way through the 'primitives' below while memorizing the events to sell the memprint to others.

The Drukhari were stupid in their corruption though. They seemed to forget that the 'primitives' were yet Aeldari, and rather than letting their natural gifts atrophy, they were sharpened to a wraithblade's edge by living a life of denial and refutation of the excesses that plagued their disgusting cousins.

Even as he limbered his joints for coming combat, Menekas picked a pebble off the stony grazing grounds and fit it to his sling. Twice, his sling revolved, before loosing the stone with the whip-crack of a broken sound barrier. As he expected, the alpha-predator barely reacted as the stone splashed off its carapace, turned to powder from the speed it had been traveling at. The speed at which its eyes had tracked the projectile let him know that it had reflexes comparable to his own. With a few mental simulations of the possible outcomes, he reached out to his kin. It would not do to have them be unprepared even in the unlikely event of his demise.

When he could feel the minds of his entire tribe, he spoke. "Brothers and Sisters. Turn your gaze to me. I would do combat against a predator I do not recognize, and I suspect Drukhari trickery as its provenance."

Their tribe's Farseer spoke, after a moment of intense thought. "I cannot sense any other Aeldari minds nearby, but a careful inspection reveals a great diffusion of psychic energies large enough to raise the background levels a detectable amount. Perhaps they have developed some technology that can hide their presence amidst an appearance of greatness. It would fit their kind."

"To combat then." Menekas drew his wrathbone skinning knife. It was no Wraithblade sword, but it would suffice.

"Before you decide to fight to the death, I figured we should talk." A psychic voice came from the predator- no. From the being in front of him.

"Stop where you are or I shall strike you down, stranger. What is it you seek from the Aeldari people?"

"Ha! Fair enough. I was actually planning on doing you a favor. I have information that you might find interesting." The mind chuckled and spoke with a mirthful presence, as if to mock him.

"You presume to have information unknown to us? Very well, I shall allow you to speak." Menekas restrained his anger as only an Exodite would even bother to do. None of their so-called kin would ever entertain the notion, but the Exodites were more familiar than anyone in the galaxy with knowing crucial information that others would refuse to even hear. It would insult their way of living to not extend at least a symbolic offer to an outsider, despite their lack of deference.

"The Aeldari empire will fall in twenty-six thousand five hundred years, give or take a decade, as the warp-cascade of violence, death, and hedonistic excess births a new warp-entity powerful enough to consume the souls of all Aeldari within more than a thousand lightyears of your home system."

Menekas felt a nova-hot flash of anger and barely restrained his impulse to strike the being down where it stood. "You dare! To have heard of the Prophecy of Endings and use it to attempt to deceive us. I can barely conceive of the level of arrogance required-"

"Iroooonic. Nah, I just have access to more information than you do. There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy." The being continued to give off every appearance of an amused statesman watching a younger colleague make a fool of themselves.

Menekas was nearly rendered speechless. "You presume… to have better knowledge… of the Prophecy of Endings… than our greatest Farseers, and even the GODS THEMSELVES?!"

"YES"

It felt as though the entire psychic might of the entire Aeldari race was pressing down on him. Even when his entire clan attempted to aid him, the being, the presence didn't even seem to notice the difference in strength between one Aeldari and a thousand.

"I DO"

Only a second had passed, but it was like wading through water to even move a muscle, let alone muster thoughts of resisting the pressure. He could feel several of his clan-mates fall unconscious as they struggled against the oppressive presence that seemed to ring louder within each person than their own thoughts, barely leaving enough room for compliance and nothing else.

And then it was gone, in an instant. The release of pressure was so sudden that Menekas found himself falling to the dirt from lightheadedness.

"Now that that's settled, I was hoping for a bit of exchange. I give you some very valuable information about the specifics of the upcoming timeline, which I doubt that even I can knock off it's rails even if I tried, and you agree to spread that information to other Exodites and any other Aeldari you think would actually care that their empire is about to collapse. Oh, and I'd like to keep your wraithbone knife. It looks neat."

Menekas found himself nodding idly. "Oh. Okay."

He gracelessly dropped his knife on the ground from his deathgrip on the handle, and then turned back towards his tribal home. "I'm just going to go lay down for a while."

The Drukhari were stupid in their corruption though. They seemed to forget that the 'primitives' were yet Aeldari, and rather than letting their natural gifts atrophy, they were sharpened to a wraithblade's edge by living a life of denial and refutation of the excesses that plagued their disgusting cousins.
Werent Drukhari only a thing AFTER The Fall? Plus untill then all Eldar keept their psychic powers very sharp and strong as most of their tech depended on it?

Drukhari letting their powers to athropy was caused because using those made their souls whither even faster by Hunger. So fast that they couldnt ofset the whithering by feeding on pain of others.

Craftworlders can still use some part of psychic powers because their limit their Souls by Paths so they arent eaten while Exodites use World Souls of their planets to do such.

Werent Drukhari only a thing AFTER The Fall?.
I figured the name had to come from somewhere. It probably has/had different connotations at this time, but it's pretty likely they mentally labeled their hedonism seeking cousins the same thing as later in the timeline.

I figured the name had to come from somewhere. It probably has/had different connotations at this time, but it's pretty likely they mentally labeled their hedonism seeking cousins the same thing as later in the timeline.
Makes sense, the exodites view the majority as wasteful or "dark" so I'd even guess the name came from them in canon.

Yea meeting even a friendly deity is often pretty mentally taxing...

I wonder, though, since the comparision of 'tiny dog trying to eat a baskeball sized soul', would the Chaos gods be 'big' enough to actually attack MC? Right now, he's really got no threats or goals aside from 'help the hoomans'. Even an objective to confirm alternate realities are a thing would be nice, since 'figure out chaos' seems to be moving along pretty quickly. Maybe figure out mental stuff? With a mind larger and more spread out then most universes, there's gotta be *something* he can do with it other then multask galatically. Even just showcasing the pure calcuative power of actual planet's worth of biosupercomputers processing information would be nice, because right now he seems more like a 'captain' then a 'hivemind', directing but not interveining in tasks.

The Drukhari were the segment of the Eldar population who were into the super depraved stuff. Like the furries.

Not sure that preventing the fall of the Eldar is really in Mankind's best interest though, particularly if the nascent human empire doesn't rely on warp travel and so won't be crippled by the birth of Slannesh.

Arguably the only reason the humans got as far as they did was that the Eldar were too distracted to smother them in the crib...

The Drukhari were the segment of the Eldar population who were into the super depraved stuff. Like the furries.

Not sure that preventing the fall of the Eldar is really in Mankind's best interest though, particularly if the nascent human empire doesn't rely on warp travel and so won't be crippled by the birth of Slannesh.

Arguably the only reason the humans got as far as they did was that the Eldar were too distracted to smother them in the crib...

I'm not sure the fall of the Eldar can be prevented, unless you completely break their collective spirit through complete and total societal subjugation. The Exodites are the least arrogant Eldar, and this was completely in keeping with how they act. I seriously doubt the main worlds would listen to anyone up to and including the Tyranid Hivemind without declaring genocidal war on it for daring to suggest they might be wrong in any way.

711M03 Wraithbone
711 M03
Wraithbone was absolutely fascinating stuff. At first I thought it was an exotic meta-material that was then warp-saturated with a specific mix of psychic energies somehow. But it turns out it's not actually a material in the realspace sense of the word at all. It doesn't even have atoms.

No, what wraithbone was actually composed of was the realspace interference pattern produced by a hellaciously complicated warp construct that's not just quasi-stable or even fully stable, it's downright self-repairing.

The really juicy bit though? The reason I was so excited? It was a directable self-catalyzing pattern. If you were sufficiently skilled at psychic manipulation, you could create any wraithbone material from the smallest chip of existing wraithbone. It's also the reason I'm categorically certain that the Eldar didn't actually come up with the stuff. They could certainly manipulate it, and they were experts at making it grow and change to suit their desired final products, but the actual underlying pattern wasn't created by them. Because one of the only near-universally repeated sections of 'junk DNA' that creatures from every garden world I'd come across shared was a self-repairing key to manipulating the wraithbone.

If the Eldar had created wraithbone in the first place, there is no chance they would leave the door open for any evolved race in the galaxy to eventually unlock its secrets. No, this absolutely reeked of an Old One tool that the Eldar had simply repurposed and claimed as their own after the fall of the Old Ones.

To change the realspace material properties of wraithbone, you just had to alter the growing pattern to express whatever characteristics you wanted. It's one of the reasons why the density was all over the place and you could get material from seemingly nowhere with far, far less energy input than the equivalent quantity of mass-energy.

The thing that I'm not sure the Eldar realize or not, is that there are more dials and knobs for controlling the realspace characteristics than were available when you used the "key" distributed across the galaxy. Now, they were stupidly complicated to actually use, but they allowed for a lot more freedom. It would take me… geeze, dozens of millennia at a minimum to ferret out all the possible interactions between the full admin controls. The way Eldar normally interacted with the stuff was essentially a user-friendly training-wheels mode.

I'm nearly positive that the artifacts crafted directly by the Eldar gods that had characteristics that the Eldar couldn't replicate, were made using at least some of the full administrative controls.

I would need to examine some of the most precious and powerful artifacts of the Eldar people in order to confirm or deny my theory though, so that's not happening any time soon.

In the meantime, I had an idea for a realspace wraithbone characteristic that described a charged material. The thing is, since it was defined as charged, it didn't actually matter how many times you drew from that charge, it would always maintain its charged state. Upon seeing the ghostly blue glow given off by the material, I immediately dubbed it wraithfire. After all, the edges of the material glowed as though the entire structure was one ember of a ghostly fire. The new material quietly made its way into some of my structures as the core of a new type of generator, and I had fun sharing the bounty with the Emperor, since the two of us were probably some of the handful of beings in the galaxy that could mentally juggle enough of the variables simultaneously to actually make the stuff.

I don't know what he was going to use it for, but compact sourceless power generation was great for powering the outer orbitals of a Dyson swarm, where the individual platforms received sunlight only a fraction of the time. I also had an idea for a reactionless drive that I wanted to try out, but it would take me a while to figure out how to throttle the material.

Perhaps if I flash forged it? Or maybe shutter it behind a universally absorptive material…

Lol.

Eldar: This, you pitiful Monkeigh, is wraithbone, a sacred material that only a highly evolved, and refined, race such as ourselves could ever hope to create, let alone master, a task only the most learned Bonesingers, who have spent millennia dedicated to the task, could even begin to claim providence over!

Human 1: Oh, hooeh, we got that too! We use it to power our robo-tractors. Ain't that right, Cleetus?

Human 2: That's right, Jebidiah. But why you usin' it all turned off and stuff? It's way better if you tweak the compression matrix all subtle like!

Time to distribute the wraithbone manipulator gene amongst Humanity? That'd be interesting, especially the inevitable Human-Eldar first contact. Though my desire for wraithbone-wielding humans stems at least partially from my desire to see the Eldar get shown up. Not that that's a bad thing.

Time to distribute the wraithbone manipulator gene amongst Humanity? That'd be interesting, especially the inevitable Human-Eldar first contact. Though my desire for wraithbone-wielding humans stems at least partially from my desire to see the Eldar get shown up. Not that that's a bad thing.
Don't even need to.
Humans evolved in the Milky Way Galaxy too, so they've already got the genes.

So do bananas, for that matter.

The Eldar might have Wraithbone but the humans have Wraithbananas!
The Emps Golden Banana Men coming in clutch.

I can see the War In Heaven never actually having ended since some of the Necrons can switch between whatever timeline they want to be in making it open season for the other more capable members of either side to just walk the local multiverse.

Edit:
In terms of psychic might alone the Tyranids are uncontested. Lacking only in knowledge and experience in its use.

Then there's the super adaptoid ability of the Tyranid Hivemind members to become immune to something passively with enough exposure.

They were already an existential threat to any galaxy when they were relatively mindless predators only driven by hunger. Now they've got direction from a mind on a quest for knowledge.

Speaking of knowledge, wouldn't it be possible to sift through the data gained from the consumption of previously preyed upon civilizations of now Tyranid controlled galaxies?

He could turn those mind imprints into expert systems if he doesn't want to give them full hivemind membership.

Last edited:
922M03 Primary School
922 M03
"Alright class. Today we'll have a few questions to make sure you were paying attention last week, and then we'll move on to the next part of our lesson on important parts of our society."

She looked over her class, pleased that everyone seemed to be paying attention. While she loved her job, Molany would be the first to admit it was challenging when her pupils didn't feel the need to learn. Fortunately, the curriculum had been fairly well designed to have age appropriate interests. It was either a good sign, or a very bad one, that other than a few names and dates, the base curriculum hadn't been updated in nearly two hundred years. Molany chose to believe it was because the lessons were already so well tailored to the primary schooling ages of five to fifteen.

"First question. Name one of the special accomplishments that SUB-42 is famous for."

Several hands went up, but Molany picked the one that was most enthusiastic, understandably.

"Yes, Art?" ART-14 was her first Synth student, and she was secretly glad that the full AI members of the Coalition had decided that better AI societal integration would require partial AI with capabilities closer to that of individual humans than entire departments of experts.

ART-14's wraithbone and bio-plas face broke out into a wide smile. "Um. He was the first AI to become a planetary governor, and he was the first planetary governor to say that even AI needed to serve their ten-per because they got the rights of people, so they should have the responsibilities of people."

Molany smiled. "Correct, although you only needed one answer. I would have also accepted the fact that he was the first AI to petition for the right to choose a partner."

It was before her time, but her mother had regaled her about the controversy of personal rights vs citizen responsibilities of AI. It wasn't all as clear cut as they were explaining in class in Primary, but most Secondary streams would go into more details.

"Next question. Who introduced the policy of ten-per in the first place? I'll give you a hint. It was before I was born."

Molany had to stifle a laugh at some of the 'wow's' from her students. To kids less than ten years old, someone in their fifth century was already ancient history, so it was hard for them to imagine something even older.

"Yes, Mildritha?" She chose Mildritha because she rarely put her hand up in class, so she hoped to encourage the behavior.

"That was Mr. Huges. It's aaaalways Mr. Huges." Several students giggled at that.

"Correct. For bonus points, can anybody tell me what partner Graven Huges has? We haven't covered it in class yet, but as Mildritha pointed out, he is pretty famous."

"Ooh, me!" Piped up their resident partner fanatic, Hela. With a nod, she continued.

"Um Mr. Huges has a King Bear!" That… was a term that Molany had never heard before.

"A King Bear?" May as well get clarification, before giving the correct answer.

"Yeah! He's a great big bear with a crown! So he's a King Bear. I know crowns, my Mama's Leo made me a tiara for my birthday."

Huh… Now that she thought about it, the antlers always displayed in pictures looked remarkably like a crown when scaled to the great bear's head. "Yes, although normally we call those antlers, you're not wrong though."

After a brief shake of her head, Molany continued her lesson. "So last week we were discussing civil service and the ten-per; or the full name, and this might be on the test is Ten Percent Per Experienced Century Civil Service, but that's usually too much of a mouthful to say. This week we're going to be covering another law introduced by Mr. Huges, the Century Cap. It's the reason he's been re-elected seven times!"

She started pacing the front of the room, as was her habit when in full lecture mode. "The Century Cap means that nobody, all the way to the very, very top, is allowed to hold one job for more than a Century, because otherwise old people like me would hold all the jobs, and young people like you would have to wait for a new job entirely to appear before you could get work! We'll be covering some of the other rules later, but for now, just remember that you can't hold a job for more than a century, even if you shuffle the time around, although you can come back to the job after a century off, if people think you did a good enough job the first time-"
Emperor: I need a fucking vacation... but how to excuse the time off. Oh! I know!

Emperor: "THIS VERSION OF TERRA IS STRANGE. WHAT IS WITH ALL THE CHIMERA RUNNING AROUND? AND WHERE IS THE EMPEROR?"
Hughes: "Okay, who stuck you with the same job for millenia? That has to suck."
Emperor: "I AM THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN LEAD HUMANITY, AS HAS BEEN PROVEN-"
Hughes: "Bullshit, I've literally went off and spent four centuries as a scientist, explorer, colonist, and ship captain before I came back to administrate things. Did you ever work out our trust issues?"
Emperor: "I DO NOT HAVE TRUST ISSUES."
Hughes: "So that's a no, then. Listen, I'm not much for touchy-feely stuff, but I think you need a hug. Not from me, though."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back