• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Video Games General

Only a few more weeks until the Thousand Year Door remake releases (May 23). Goombella chads are going to be eating well for the next few months.

Playing as Ku'gath in Total Warhammer 3 is more fun than I expected. It's hard at the start because you have to avoid getting fucking Helman Ghorst's attention too soon or he'll come over and beat your ass. Once you've leveled up some by beating up ogres and have his AoE damage aura though, Ku'gath becomes a tanky as hell counter to most vampire units since they're all melee. I can't imagine fighting ranged factions like Tzeenchy boiz will be fun however.

Hey folks, I could use some help. I'm in a big RTS mood. Thing is I actually like good story campaigns with my strategy games.

So, I was hoping someone would have an idea besides Command and Conquer or Homeworld. Because I can't find anything and I'm hoping someone knows of a hidden gem.

Hey folks, I could use some help. I'm in a big RTS mood. Thing is I actually like good story campaigns with my strategy games.

So, I was hoping someone would have an idea besides Command and Conquer or Homeworld. Because I can't find anything and I'm hoping someone knows of a hidden gem.

I remember enjoying a Dune RTS back in the day... but I can't remember the name of it. We're talking early 2000's I think, so pretty old at this point. Can't find it on Steam or GOG, so I'm not sure where to find it or if it was even preserved. I don't think I even still have the disc. I recall fucking myself over with the Atreidis sonic tanks because they damage all units they shoot past- including each-other.

Also enjoyed Age of Mythology- Age of Empires spinoff but with mythology stuff. That is on Steam for sure, though I do still have the disc for that. It had a story campaign involving various mythologies- I think the main character was Odysseus? Been a good long while. You get to build the Trojan Horse on one mission, which is neat.

I don't play much RTS and it shows.

I remember enjoying a Dune RTS back in the day... but I can't remember the name of it. We're talking early 2000's I think, so pretty old at this point. Can't find it on Steam or GOG, so I'm not sure where to find it or if it was even preserved. I don't think I even still have the disc. I recall fucking myself over with the Atreidis sonic tanks because they damage all units they shoot past- including each-other.

Also enjoyed Age of Mythology- Age of Empires spinoff but with mythology stuff. That is on Steam for sure, though I do still have the disc for that. It had a story campaign involving various mythologies- I think the main character was Odysseus? Been a good long while. You get to build the Trojan Horse on one mission, which is neat.

It's not a genre for everyone. I might check out mythology. This would be so much easier if they didn't tend to focus on the competitive scene so much.

It's not a genre for everyone. I might check out mythology. This would be so much easier if they didn't tend to focus on the competitive scene so much.

Competitive games are too frustrating for me, and when I play single either I'm not good enough to get far or I get to that one mission where they stick you with not a whole hell of a lot (usually destroying a pre-made base at the start) and give your enemy a hueg base and I can never puzzle out how to keep from being steamrolled by whatever they have set up.

Age of Mythology's story mode let me get pretty far though- I forget if I was actually overwhelmed or just lost progress when I swapped to a new computer or just didn't reinstall.

Age of Mythology is getting a remake and has an ETA of sometime this year. Supposedly their rehauling a lot of the engine and upping the quality of the art for modern screen. Also updating the RTS to fix some long standing complaints

But the original games are still nice especially since you get a good campaign and good faction diversity.

This guy summarizes the good and bad of the game.

Edit: Also we dont have a china faction. That was a lazy ass reskin of the other factions

This. It's why I mentioned C&C and Homeworld. Both of which are awesome...
For the most part.

I know it's a rarity in RTS games but that be what I crave.

As an aside, Tibirium Sun is hard. No wonder I never beat it as a kid.
Ah. That might be an issue. It's one thing to get interesting scenarios, it's another to compete with the likes of Catecylsm.
Of the games that I know of with campaigns, the first dawn if war and it's expacs had pretty good work up till soulstorm.
Battlefleet gothic 1 and 2 have campaigns with missions and overarching plots but also a good amount of generic fights in them.
Universe at war earth assault might also be an option to check out.
You could take a look at Supreme Commander's missions to see if you'd like them. Not the most dialogue ever but there is a story to it.

Huh, it's been an age since I played those games. I remember the pathfinding being ass but I think I'll give it a swing. That and battlefleet gothic sounds fun.

I've played the first one and ever since I refuse to believe the war was anything other the Admiral Spire kicking Abadon's ass.

Well think I got me games. Thanks.

Odysseus was in the game, but the MC was actually an OC named Arkantos.

Emperor: Battle for Dune

Best Dune piece of media since the book, fight me.

Great classic Westwood RTS before EA could rape the company into the dirt.

Yep, Atreides faction had plenty of issues with Sonic Tank friendly fire, making their ultimate unit kinda unusable, but they also had the Minotaur, which is I swear to God the best unit in any RTS game by the sheer cool factor if nothing else.

Amazing soundtrack as well, each faction got a separate composer to do their soundtrack for them. David Arkenstone for Harkonnen, Jarrid Mendelson for House Ordos, and Frank Klepacki of the Red Alert Fame for Atreides. It gave each of the factions a very unique feel for each mission, and I still listen to the tracks from that game to this day.

It's quite telling when Frank Klepacki, the absolute legend who worked on the Red Alert series, is actually the weakest of all the three composers for this game. Don't get me wrong, he has an absolute banger in Ride The Worm, but overall I think House Harkonnen is the ultimate victor of this music battle, with Victory is Inevitable being their ultimate track. House Ordos did put up a strong fight with Not An Option though.

Great game overall, a certified underappreciated gem in my books. Actually tried to play it again recently, but it wasn't working on my system, so that's a bit of a bummer.

HAWK STRIKE READY TO FIRE STANDING BY

*snaps fingers*

It wasn't Dune 2 or this game I played, it was the one in between, Dune 2000. Glad I figured that out finally.
Another great find. I remembered playing it back in the day, don't think it holds up to modern standards as well as E:BfD does, but it's a fine enough gem to check out if one's a fan of the Dune franchise.

Anyone know if AFK Journey is decent? Cause I keep getting the trailer showing up as youtube ads and the music is at least somewhat decent.

Beat A-Tech Cybernetic. Pretty fun romp. Last level is eugh. Pick-A-Portal, and it took me a few rounds to figure out which one doesn't send you back to the start- hint, you can see the original portal from most of the locations, and the last portal from the final one, don't go through the portal that's the same color as the original (it does change) and do go through the portal that matches the final destination.

SMGs are OP, wish the game had given them earlier than the last level. Dark Shotgun is the GOAT for most of the game though.

I quite enjoy those mobile city building games, but unfortunately most of them have a shitty competitive MP mode that forces you to play constantly to watch out for other players raiding you. Anybody know of any good ones without it?

I remember it's called emperor battle for dune. I think it's abandon ware now as I saw it there.

I remember it's called emperor battle for dune. I think it's abandon ware now as I saw it there.
*snaps fingers*

It wasn't Dune 2 or this game I played, it was the one in between, Dune 2000. Glad I figured that out finally.

Three posts up dude.

Aside: Playing Persona 5 Strikers now.

One thing they really should have added/done is just let the Checkpoints heal you. Enemy respawn by healing is fine, but having to go all the way out and all the way back in to heal is really annoying.

Three posts up dude.

Aside: Playing Persona 5 Strikers now.

One thing they really should have added/done is just let the Checkpoints heal you. Enemy respawn by healing is fine, but having to go all the way out and all the way back in to heal is really annoying.
Whoops I didn't read the reply as I was following the posts.

Zenkichi's reaction to Haru saying negative/insulting things with an innocent smile on her face will likely never stop being funny.

There is the game Beyond All Reason, an RTS in the vein of Total Annihilation, with its main quirk being that it simulates projectiles and explosions individually. Its Open Alpha is also free to download on their site, so giving it a try won't cost you anything.

If anything, its Skirmish mode and scenarios are worth a couple hours, if you got time to kill.

Last edited:
There is the game Beyond All Reason, an RTS in the vein of Total Annihilation, with its main quirk being that it simulates projectiles and explosions individually. Its Open Alpha is also free to download on their site, so giving it a try won't cost you anything.

If anything, its Skirmish mode and scenarios are worth a couple hours, if you got time to kill.
I'll take a look. I really like Supreme Commander so that might be my cup of tea.

It's hard in that I'm an oddball who doesn't like to play multiplayer. I much prefer single player story campaigns. So, yeah I'm weird.

I'll take a look. I really like Supreme Commander so that might be my cup of tea.

It's hard in that I'm an oddball who doesn't like to play multiplayer. I much prefer single player story campaigns. So, yeah I'm weird.
BAR doesn't have a campaign, much less a story focused one, so I'm really not sure why it was recommended to you. I swear you could ask for a tactical fantasy mirco intensive RTS and someone would still recommend BAR, when it is basically the opposite of all those things (except for being an RTS)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back