• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Vote Thread for Ack's Omake Corner

Vote 210: War Games
Thanks, as always, for voting.

Voting points this round: 556

Announcements
Throne3d 's vote counting system seems to not be working, so it's back to hand counting. Any mistakes are mine.

Novel is PUBLISHED. [Welcome to Utopia]
Link to get, if interested: https://books2read.com/u/b68xeZ
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com.au/s?k=welcome+to+utopia&ref=nb_sb_noss_2

Sequel (part 2 of 4) is PUBLISHED: Shadows Over Utopia
Link to get, if interested: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/1146304
Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Over-Utopia-Utopian-Dreams/dp/0648729664/

Also, I have a free novel on Smashwords, called The Uncle Tal Stories.

Any votes to any stories not on the list will not be applied to any stories, on or off the list. The stories that have been taken off the list will not be abandoned, just put on hiatus until I've actually finished a significant number of stories that are actually still on the list.

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

A Darker Path [0] (Taylor has triggered with a shard called Path to Ending. She can kill anyone or anything. Also, she has no more fucks to give. Have a nice day.)
Afraid of the Dark [0] (Danny is an expy of John Wick. Taylor just went through the Locker. Be very afraid.)
All Alone [25] (Emma dies in the alley, so Taylor makes a new friend. Sophia Hess. But after some very bad decisions. she's all alone again. Or is she?)
Another Way [0] (Marquis beat shit out of BBB, then spent the next eight years in Boston. Now that his daughter has triggered, he's come back. She's having a ball.)
Conflict [0] (It's 1980. Contessa managed to shank Eden without getting nerfed. Doctor Mother now has Eidolon's powerset, without the insecurity complex. They've got two years to prepare before Scion shows up.)
Earning Her Stripes [0] (Sophia has gotten three power vials. Emma and Madison took two, and they're aiming to make Taylor into a villain with the third.)
Entanglement [0] (Taylor has her bug powers. However, she is now randomly body-swapping with a Taylor from an Earth without super-powers. Both are rather confused.)
First Telkan [0] (A crossover with the massively popular Reddit serial First Contact, by Ralts Bloodthorne.)
Fuck Worm! [0] {NSFW} (A double SI, where a couple gets dropped into the Wormverse on opposite sides. Only just started.)
Gravitas [0] (A crossover fanfic with a novel I'm in the process of writing).
One Bad Day [0] (Sophia murders Grue. Taylor murders Sophia and Madison. Lisa murders her new team leader. Amy mindwipes Vicky. It's one hell of a bad day.)
Prodigal Daughter [0] (Taylor isn't quite right. But that's okay. She's Jack Slash's daughter. Brockton Bay is in for ... a time.)
Snek is a Good Boy [0] (The adorrifying adventures of a large snek in and around Brockton Bay.)
Yet Another Way [0] (A spin-off of Another Way, where Carol killed Amy. The BBB is now out of the picture, and Marquis has managed to adopt the Dallon and Pelham kids.)

A Friend At Winslow - Non-Taylor-centric, but involving Taylor.
The Centre Cannot Hold - Taylor gets a really weird power, and makes full use of it. Crack.
Dinah Alcott, Ruler of the World - Exactly what it says on the tin.
EverYthiNg YoU kNow iS WroNg - The Birdcage is a luxury resort. Marquis was sandbagging. It's all a LIE, I tell you! Pure crack.
Force Projection - A sequel to my original fiction Number Two.
Hostile Takeover - Marquis had a son. He's just come back to Brockton Bay.
Identity Theft - An international freelancer needs to hide out in Brockton Bay. Guess who she looks like?
Isel - Prequel to my original fiction King's Man
Parallel - A time travel story, involving Taylor's son from after Gold Morning.
Living in Brockton Bay is Suffering - A perfect storm of bad events happens, leaving Tagg in charge of the PRT, based in Brockton Bay.
Library Blues (working title) - A massive AU where Taylor is an adult, working in the library of Winslow High. Brian is the principal, and Sophia is the head coach.
Terminal: A cancer sufferer triggers with powers. His life does not improve. News at eleven.

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 387
Collateral Damage 289
Hostage Situation 351
I, Panacea 247
One More Trigger 348
Reality Intrudes 382
Recoil 412
Slippery Slope 41
War Games 0 (514)
Wyvern 179

As predicted, War Games romped in ahead of the field, but Recoil has forged out of the rest of the pack to bid fair for winner of the next voting round. After that ... maybe Reality Intrudes, but I wouldn't be holding my breath for that one.

Check out Sleepyfoo for a reasonable prediction.

Note: As Collateral Damage and Reality Intrudes are based on short, sharp chapters you'll be getting two 3-4K chapters each time either one comes up, instead of one 7K+ chapter.

Anyway, thanks again for voting, and I hope you enjoy reading the stories as much as I enjoy writing them.

For anyone who hasn't voted on this thread before, the voting rules go as follows:

1) UP TO six votes. I will not count anything extra, and a write-in will likely be ignored (if I want to write a different story, I will, but at my own discretion). Suggestions are welcome, but I am under no obligation to carry them out. And just remember, the more stories I am writing, the longer it will take for your favourites to roll back around.
2) First vote is worth six points, second is worth five, and so on.
3) You can't vote twice on the same story. The voting code will count the last vote and ignore previous ones.
4) If I say "Voting is CLOSED", then this post comes up, with "Voting is OPEN" at the bottom, then you can vote again.
5) If I say "Voting will continue", it's still the same voting period. Voting has not restarted. You can not vote a second time.
6) When I have finished a few of the current fics, I will look at bringing stories back on to the list.

Vote format looks like this:

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] I, Panacea - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Hostage Situation - 2
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Specifically: SQUARE brackets around an X, one space, and please spell at least the first word of the name of the story properly. Number of voting points comes last. Please try to format your vote properly, so as not to confuse the vote counter.

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 211: Recoil

Voting points this round: 542

Announcements
Throne3d 's vote counting system seems to not be working, so it's back to hand counting. Any mistakes are mine.

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/Shadows-Over-Utopia-Utopian-Dreams/dp/0648729664/

Any votes to any stories not on the list will not be applied to any stories, on or off the list. The stories that have been taken off the list will not be abandoned, just put on hiatus until I've actually finished a significant number of stories that are actually still on the list.

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

A Darker Path [0] (Taylor has triggered with a shard called Path to Ending. She can kill anyone or anything. Also, she has no more fucks to give. Have a nice day.)
Afraid of the Dark [0] (Danny is an expy of John Wick. Taylor just went through the Locker. Be very afraid.)
All Alone [25] (Emma dies in the alley, so Taylor makes a new friend. Sophia Hess. But after some very bad decisions. she's all alone again. Or is she?)
Another Way [0] (Marquis beat shit out of BBB, then spent the next eight years in Boston. Now that his daughter has triggered, he's come back. She's having a ball.)
Conflict [0] (It's 1980. Contessa managed to shank Eden without getting nerfed. Doctor Mother now has Eidolon's powerset, without the insecurity complex. They've got two years to prepare before Scion shows up.)
Earning Her Stripes [0] (Sophia has gotten three power vials. Emma and Madison took two, and they're aiming to make Taylor into a villain with the third.)
Entanglement [0] (Taylor has her bug powers. However, she is now randomly body-swapping with a Taylor from an Earth without super-powers. Both are rather confused.)
First Telkan [0] (A crossover with the massively popular Reddit serial First Contact, by Ralts Bloodthorne.)
Fuck Worm! [0] {NSFW} (A double SI, where a couple gets dropped into the Wormverse on opposite sides. Only just started.)
One Bad Day [0] (Sophia murders Grue. Taylor murders Sophia and Madison. Lisa murders her new team leader. Amy mindwipes Vicky. It's one hell of a bad day.)
Prodigal Daughter [0] (Taylor isn't quite right. But that's okay. She's Jack Slash's daughter. Brockton Bay is in for ... a time.)
Snek is a Good Boy [0] (The adorrifying adventures of a large snek in and around Brockton Bay.)
Yet Another Way [0] (A spin-off of Another Way, where Carol killed Amy. The BBB is now out of the picture, and Marquis has managed to adopt the Dallon and Pelham kids.)

The Centre Cannot Hold - Taylor gets a really weird power, and makes full use of it. Crack.
EverYthiNg YoU kNow iS WroNg - The Birdcage is a luxury resort. Marquis was sandbagging. It's all a LIE, I tell you! Pure crack.
Identity Theft - An international freelancer needs to hide out in Brockton Bay. Guess who she looks like?
Living in Brockton Bay is Suffering - A perfect storm of bad events happens, leaving Tagg in charge of the PRT, based in Brockton Bay.
Library Blues (working title) - A massive AU where Taylor is an adult, working in the library of Winslow High. Brian is the principal, and Sophia is the head coach.
Terminal: A cancer sufferer triggers with powers. His life does not improve. News at eleven.

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 459
Collateral Damage 305
Hostage Situation 390
I, Panacea 331
One More Trigger 397
Reality Intrudes 440
Recoil 0 (482)
Slippery Slope 77
War Games 34
Wyvern 263

Unsurprisingly, Recoil beat out the rest of the pack with a healthy lead. Next up is almost certainly Alea Iacta Est, followed by Reality Intrudes and maybe One More Trigger, but the view that far ahead is fuzzy.

Note: As Collateral Damage and Reality Intrudes are based on short, sharp chapters you'll be getting two 3-4K chapters each time either one comes up, instead of one 7K+ chapter.

Anyway, thanks again for voting, and I hope you enjoy reading the stories as much as I enjoy writing them.

For anyone who hasn't voted on this thread before, the voting rules go as follows:

1) UP TO six votes. I will not count anything extra, and a write-in will likely be ignored (if I want to write a different story, I will, but at my own discretion). Suggestions are welcome, but I am under no obligation to carry them out. And just remember, the more stories I am writing, the longer it will take for your favourites to roll back around.
3) You can't vote twice on the same story. The voting code will count the last vote and ignore previous ones.
4) If I say "Voting is CLOSED", then this post comes up, with "Voting is OPEN" at the bottom, then you can vote again.
5) If I say "Voting will continue", it's still the same voting period. Voting has not restarted. You can not vote a second time.
6) When I have finished a few of the current fics, I will look at bringing stories back on to the list.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] I, Panacea - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Specifically: SQUARE brackets around an X, one space, and please spell at least the first word of the name of the story properly. Number of voting points comes last. Please try to format your vote properly, so as not to confuse the vote counter.

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 212: Alea Iacta Est

Voting points this round: 544

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 0 (522)
Collateral Damage 325
Hostage Situation 431
I, Panacea 408
One More Trigger 443
Reality Intrudes 498
Recoil 76
Slippery Slope 117
War Games 69
Wyvern 351

As predicted, Alea Iacta Est romped in for a win. Reality Intrudes has the next highest total, but One More Trigger and Hostage Situation are looming behind it. Can it scrape in a win? Only time will tell. Like ,,, a month.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] I, Panacea - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 213: Reality Intrudes

Voting points this round: 517

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
DrWhoFan13 - Earning Her Stripes is not on the vote list. It will be posting up anyway. Just saying.

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 59
Collateral Damage 341
Hostage Situation 462
I, Panacea 491
One More Trigger 479
Reality Intrudes 0 (552)
Recoil 158
Slippery Slope 161
War Games 99
Wyvern 433

So, Reality Intrudes got out in front, thanks to a bunch of high votes. Following up will be I, Panacea (remember, this is the last chapter!), One More Trigger (for those who like a nice Emma), Hostage Situation (for those Marquis aficionados out there) and Wyvern (for people who like really big scary dragons), in no particular order. We shall see what we shall see.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] I, Panacea - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 214: I, Panacea LAST CHAPTER

Voting points this round: 482

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 119
Collateral Damage 363
Hostage Situation 497
I, Panacea 0 (560) ENDING
One More Trigger 516
Reality Intrudes 45
Recoil 226
Slippery Slope 187
War Games 136
World War Scion 0
Wyvern 516

Okay, then. It's the last chapter of I, Panacea coming up, with One More Trigger and Wyvern currently neck and neck following it (I suspect Wyvern might win out there), and Hostage Situation bringing up the rear. As noted: I, Panacea will be ENDING, to be replaced (as per popular vote) by World War Scion!

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Last edited:
Vote 215: Wyvern

Voting points this round: 457

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 176
Collateral Damage 387
Hostage Situation 544
One More Trigger 555
Reality Intrudes 106
Recoil 291
Slippery Slope 209
War Games 176
World War Scion 13
Wyvern 0 (605)

So, I, Panacea is done and dusted, going out with a double-chapter finale. I hope you all enjoyed it. Its replacement, World War Scion, has started out with a modest 13 points, but we shall see how things go after its first chapter post. In today's vote count, Wyvern beat out One More Trigger by just 50 vote points; OMT and Hostage Situation will be duking it out for first place next round (I think OMT has it in the bag, but HS might just surprise us all). After those two, the closest competitor might look like Collateral Damage, but that gets relatively few points so my guess is Recoil.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 216: One More Trigger

Voting points this round: 432

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 237
Collateral Damage 422
Hostage Situation 584
One More Trigger 0 (599)
Reality Intrudes 157
Recoil 361
Slippery Slope 238
War Games 200
World War Scion 21
Wyvern 70

Well, I was right about One More Trigger beating Hostage Situation for top spot, but there was only 15 points in it.
No prizes for guessing which one will win out on the next vote count.
After that ... well, Collateral Damage has an impressive lead, but Recoil is a perennial favourite, and I can see it catching up.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 217: Hostage Situation

Voting points this round: 421

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 291
Collateral Damage 442
Hostage Situation 0 (619)
One More Trigger 38
Reality Intrudes 210
Recoil 445
Slippery Slope 273
War Games 231
World War Scion 31
Wyvern 131

And Hostage Situation took the top spot with a lead of nearly 200 points, but as predicted, Recoil has already passed Collateral Damage in the bid to be the next story up. After Collateral Damage, it will probably be Alea Iacta Est then War Games then maybe Slippery Slope, but don't hold your breath on that one.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 218: Recoil

Voting points this round: 408

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
SlickRCBD - you didn't have a 2-vote, so I elevated your 1-vote to a 2.

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 344
Collateral Damage 462
Hostage Situation 30
One More Trigger 81
Reality Intrudes 261
Recoil 0 (515)
Slippery Slope 309
War Games 263
World War Scion 46
Wyvern 189

Recoil predictably takes the top slot, with Collateral Damage tipped for second place, then it's likely to be either Reality Intrudes or War Games, then maybe Slippery Slope after those two.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 219: Collateral Damage

Voting points this round: 430

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
cl20 - you didn't have a 3-vote, so I elevated your first 2-vote to a 3.

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 406
Collateral Damage 0 (494)
Hostage Situation 62
One More Trigger 126
Reality Intrudes 303
Recoil 86
Slippery Slope 345
War Games 293
World War Scion 54
Wyvern 246

Collateral Damage takes first place as predicted, with Alea Iacta Est, Slippery Slope and Reality Intrudes vying for the next spot.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Last edited:
Vote 220: Alea Iacta Est

Voting points this round: 435

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:
cl20 - you didn't have a 3-vote, so I elevated your first 2-vote to a 3.

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 0 (466)
Collateral Damage 18
Hostage Situation 98
One More Trigger 169
Reality Intrudes 353
Recoil 175
Slippery Slope 386
War Games 317
World War Scion 64
Wyvern 310

Well, Alea Iacta Est won out, with Slippery Slope apparently next in line but menaced by Reality Intrudes and Wyvern, either (or both) of which could overtake it in the next voting round. War Games probably won't be in the immediate running, but it's getting up there too.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 221: Slippery Slope

Voting points this round: 432

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors:

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 56
Collateral Damage 33
Hostage Situation 133
One More Trigger 222
Reality Intrudes 396
Recoil 259
Slippery Slope 0 (426)
War Games 348
World War Scion 75
Wyvern 374

It was a close finish, but Slippery Slope managed to hang onto its lead and finish just 30 vote points ahead of Reality Intrudes, and 52 ahead of Wyvern. There's a good chance Wyvern will catch up to Reality Intrudes by next month, but we shall see.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 222: Reality Intrudes

Voting points this round: 456 (woo!)

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors: None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 112
Collateral Damage 53
Hostage Situation 179
One More Trigger 270
Reality Intrudes 0 (450)
Recoil 341
Slippery Slope 40
War Games 380
World War Scion 85
Wyvern 442

It was an even closer finish this time; Reality Intrudes managed to hang onto its lead ahead of Wyvern by a mere 8 points. No prizes which chapter will be going up after this one. But after that ... well, it'll be a close one between Recoil and War Games. (See the note below about Reality Intrudes.)

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote 223: Wyvern

Voting points this round: 424

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors: None (woo!)

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 166
Collateral Damage 68
Hostage Situation 217
One More Trigger 310
Reality Intrudes 43
Recoil 423
Slippery Slope 93
War Games 399
World War Scion 102
Wyvern 0 (505)

Welp, Wyvern romped in with a clear eighty-point lead over Recoil, which has already passed War Games so there's no prizes for guessing what's up next month. However, once War Games has had its turn, it looks like One More Trigger might be in the running again. Also, a shout-out to World War Scion, which just passed 100 points. Hang in there, you can do it. I believe in you.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Vote Count 224 New

Voting points this round: 450

Announcements

MirrorVerse 1140
Bait & Switch 1164
Junior Hero 140
Enter the Nemesis 161

User Errors: @DMS - please vote only once before I close the voting.

On to the main event.

Alea Iacta Est 229
Collateral Damage 86
Hostage Situation 254
One More Trigger 364
Reality Intrudes 94
Recoil 0 (487)
Slippery Slope 147
War Games 427
World War Scion 125
Wyvern 58

Let's see now ... Recoil hit the expected top spot, with War Games apparently next in line and One More Trigger after that. Following on will probably be a face-off between Alea Iacta Est and Hostage Situation; alt!power Taylor against Amy and Marquis. Time will tell, mwahaha.

[X] Alea Iacta Est - 6
[X] World War Scion - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Reality Intrudes - 1

Thank you.

Voting is OPEN.

Back