• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Walk on the Moon (Naruto SI)

I did not expect this to ever update again pretty happy it did.

A/N: So, after a year and a half, finally an update!

It speaks for itself that I didn't have to re-read the fic to understand what's happening. I remember Rei. I remember her relationship with Neji. I kinda remember her techniques.

Any other fic, and there would be a good change I wouldn't remember anything after so long.

If you have a patreon, I'll throw a dono for the update.

Last edited:
If you got anything like a patreon account I'd love to pitch in. I'm always looking for more books to read so I'll definitely check yours out but it feels bad to get all this content from you without giving you money.

Last edited:
Welcome back!
that was one of it's very strongest members.
of it's very -> of its very
Angry or even perhaps even bitter seemed
or even perhaps even bitter -> or perhaps even bitter
was often snuffed out before it's time.
before it's time. -> before its time.
and it's execution were all eerily silent.
and it's execution -> and its execution
they were not tangible in any and thus they could
in any and -> in any way and
Clever and tricky in it's implementation, too.
in it's implementation -> in its implementation
To become a Kage level nin, but no interest in becoming Hokage? What could drive someone so young to become so devoted to such an abstract and difficult goal? It clearly wasn't social validation that she was seeking.
Well, it would certainly be enlightening to know that she remembers exactly what the Kyuubi's murdering presence feels like.

I'm so glad this is back~ This and Ochimaru's daughter are my favorites.

I think making the book free is an good idea, though having an option for donations would be nice kinda like Midnight Moonlight and Date a Angel.

I remember reading 'Date a Angel' on FFnet then immediately buying both audiobooks right after (its a shame the third book never came out).

I'm not really happy with the whole rock lee has a defective coils its for one go against the idea of lee as a character lee is talentless not disabled this completely changes his character because now it's just lee was born with a disability he isn't talentless he is just disabled. Lee is a person who isn't a prodigy and worked hard to compensate that's it. Not only that him having a defect raises questions how can he fight at all if he can't use chakra or water walk or use the eight gates which need the chakra coils. This is actually a problematic addition.

Well worth the wait.

Perhaps it's time for yet another reread :D

Huh. Haven't seen this in a while, but it remains good, so thank you for sharing it with us.

Interesting fight, nicely creative tactics.

I'm not really happy with the whole rock lee has a defective coils its for one go against the idea of lee as a character lee is talentless not disabled this completely changes his character because now it's just lee was born with a disability he isn't talentless he is just disabled. Lee is a person who isn't a prodigy and worked hard to compensate that's it. Not only that him having a defect raises questions how can he fight at all if he can't use chakra or water walk or use the eight gates which need the chakra coils. This is actually a problematic addition.
Him having underdeveloped chakra coils is canon. She changed the wording and how it works a bit here, but that's just to flesh it out and make it more realistic(like most of the other changes here). He isn't incapable of using chakra either here or in canon, he just can't use ninjutsu or genjutsu like other ninja because his body is different. If it was just a lack of talent he would have been able to use those Justus in Naruto because he trains like a maniac, but he literally couldn't learn it, so he settled on using taijutsu.

Him having underdeveloped chakra coils is canon. She changed the wording and how it works a bit here, but that's just to flesh it out and make it more realistic(like most of the other changes here). He isn't incapable of using chakra either here or in canon, he just can't use ninjutsu or genjutsu like other ninja because his body is different. If it was just a lack of talent he would have been able to use those Justus in Naruto because he trains like a maniac, but he literally couldn't learn it, so he settled on using taijutsu.
No it isn't that fanon that's never said anywhere A fanfic made that up and people actually believe it's real it's not he's just that bad at it, kushina was shit at ninjutsu as well she only could use sealing and her bloodline.

Yeah, not going to read the update before I re-read the whole story. I remember quite a bit, which is a surprise, but the bits I wouldn't recognize would stay to haunt me

As Rei raced through Konoha's roofs to training ground seventeen as fast as her legs could take her, a part of her on the inside was cackling like a mad woman possessed.
This is a very accurate description of my mood the moment I saw the update. Points for reading the room.

A Konoha forehead protector was displayed proudly on his forehead and Rei, uncharitably, couldn't help but wonder if he actually deserved it.
I think this points to an evolution within Rei's character that's not necessarily for the better. The last time Rei interacted with Lee in a meaningful way she possessed a truly neutral if somewhat encouraging disposition towards the taijutsu enthusiast. Now it seems as though it is merely for show, a mask she's put up to appear more benevolent than she actually is.

Hopefully, whatever solace she's found in Hinata will prevent her bottled up emotions from exploding as they have in the past.

It looks like "restraint" is one of the first lessons I will need to teach her, Gai thought with a serious frown.
Yes, this is an absolute must with Rei if you want to avoid an Anko fiasco 2.0, speaking of which where is the special jounin? I can't imagine her last spout with Rei had any positive effects on her psychology. It's possible that she's in an even worse place than before she meet Rei since her psuedo student really twisted the metaphorical dagger into her when it came to their war of words.

Especially since unlike Rei, Anko doesn't have the benefit of sharing her deepest woes with someone who understands her on a psychological level.

When Rei's attack came, it was completely silent. Only the slightest of disturbances in the air and his own instincts and danger sense alerted him in time.
I guess this more or less clears up the mystery of how Kakashi managed to detect Rei before she got the jump on him. Also on the topic of ninja tactics that right there was easily A+ team work material, very reminiscent of early Naruto arcs. Hopefully, they'll continue to build on this dynamic and eventually involve Lee sometime in the near future.

Interesting. He would have to keep an eye on her and figure out the drove and motivated her so if he was going to make sure she would become a competent Chuunin as was his primary job.
Minor correction: "figure out what drove and motivated her"

Last edited:
Sinnerlust
Sure, Lee's chakra coils might be fanon. But it's a realistic fanon interpretation of a vague character flaw. He's unable to use ninjutsu or genjutsu. Why? Because he's talentless? That's a bad shounen-flavor reason that really doesn't hold up when you think about it for a bit. He would have to be mentally handicapped if he couldn't manage an e-rank ninjutsu by the end of canon, something nameless adolescents can do regularly. Assuming he was talentless, I have a hard time believing that after 16 years of "hard work", he couldn't manage the bare minimum, unless he had some kind of biological handicap.

And Kushina's wiki states she was able to use ninjutsu. I've always assumed she just didn't use any in the few chapters/episodes she was in.

Sinnerlust
Sure, Lee's chakra coils might be fanon. But it's a realistic fanon interpretation of a vague character flaw. He's unable to use ninjutsu or genjutsu. Why? Because he's talentless? That's a bad shounen-flavor reason that really doesn't hold up when you think about it for a bit. He would have to be mentally handicapped if he couldn't manage an e-rank ninjutsu by the end of canon, something nameless adolescents can do regularly. Assuming he was talentless, I have a hard time believing that after 16 years of "hard work", he couldn't manage the bare minimum, unless he had some kind of biological handicap.

And Kushina's wiki states she was able to use ninjutsu. I've always assumed she just didn't use any in the few chapters/episodes she was in.
No it doesn't makes sense, because he uses the eight gates a ability that uses the chakra coils in fact the gates are flooding his coils with chakra if lee had malformed chakra pathways this shouldn't be possible considering that the gates are taxing on the body to begin with you think it makes sense to say lees has malformed coils that can't handle doing ninjutsu but can handle a forbidden jutsu that is extremely rough on the body that's stupid. Yet you say this is realistic really.

Not only that this fanon completely ignores context and adds new one for one lee calls himself and identify's himself as a loser some one who just can't learn ninjutsu if we go with the fanon that means he isn't a loser just disabled so the narrative is saying lee is a loser because he is handicapped and by default neji mocks lee for being handicapped instead of him just being shit at ninjutsu so that makes neji actually worse as person. So thanks for that. Look if you like this fannon fine I can't argue that but don't try to tell me it makes sense don't try serve me shit and tell me it's steak. I'm good with using fanon to fill in blanks but it can't make the situation worse.

As for kushina honestly the story suggests they are talking about her chains but kishimoto can't seem to decide if it's a bloodline or what. So I'm going I have no idea and I shouldn't have used her as an example.

No it doesn't makes sense, because he uses the eight gates a ability that uses the chakra coils in fact the gates are flooding his coils with chakra if lee had malformed chakra pathways this shouldn't be possible considering that the gates are taxing on the body to begin with you think it makes sense to say lees has malformed coils that can't handle doing ninjutsu but can handle a forbidden jutsu that is extremely rough on the body that's stupid. Yet you say this is realistic really.

Not only that this fanon completely ignores context and adds new one for one lee calls himself and identify's himself as a loser some one who just can't learn ninjutsu if we go with the fanon that means he isn't a loser just disabled so the narrative is saying lee is a loser because he is handicapped and by default neji mocks lee for being handicapped instead of him just being shit at ninjutsu so that makes neji actually worse as person. So thanks for that. Look if you like this fannon fine I can't argue that but don't try to tell me it makes sense don't try serve me shit and tell me it's steak. I'm good with using fanon to fill in blanks but it can't make the situation worse.

Hey man, I'm sensing some aggression. My disagreement is nothing personal. I just like to have good debates.

But back to Lee. I always favored the fanon theory that the malformed coils only affected control and not use. Which is why he can empower his taijutsu and use the gates, because those rely more on unlocking power and less on control. He's releasing limiters rather than directing where he wants the chakra to go, because he can't. That's my head-canon, at least.

And pre-Naruto Neji is kind of an asshole, imo. With the way he treated Hinata and Lee, I can only imagine what he would have said to a homeless orphan or someone suicidal, given his philosophy at the time.

We could probably talk in circles about this all day, but that's the problem with shounen power systems. They never really hold up to scrutiny when you ask questions about edge cases.

And to fanon theories in general, I've never seen the reasoning for how defensive some people are with canon versus fanon theories (albeit ones that are well thought out). A lot of works, not just manga, leave a lot to interpretation/subtext, and I do think they lose some of their impact when we decide to take the words at face value. To me, not thinking about "why" Lee can't use ninjutsu is little different from taking Gregor Samsa's transformation as is or watching the movie Inception from a single, linear angle. I'm not talking about you in particular, but I've been in a few heated back and forths with fellow manga lovers who take canon like gospel. And we've probably both met people in real life who take the words written in religious texts literally. What I'm trying to say is that the fandom creates an issue when we have an orthodox view of a work. If even we the fans don't look for nuance and complexity in our manga, then how can we expect anything different from the random adults who flip through its pages and dismiss it as a childish waste of time. Maybe they're right. It's all just copium for juvenile world-building.

To be fair, some people take it in the complete opposite direction. For instance, I'm of the opinion that Worm fanon completely wrecked that community.

Last edited:
Hey man, I'm sensing some aggression. My disagreement is nothing personal. I just like to have good debates.
it's more of I'm annoyed at this fannon being argued as canon not you personally but it's been getting on my nerves for years but that's not on you. So I do need bring it down a bit and not sound so aggressive.

But back to Lee. I always favored the fanon theory that the malformed coils only affected control and not use. Which is why he can empower his taijutsu and use the gates, because those rely more on unlocking power and less on control. He's releasing limiters rather than directing where he wants the chakra to go, because he can't. That's my head-canon, at least.
I still don't care for it but to add to it let's say the malformation is specifically in his fingers so he has a hard time forming hand signs so he can't mold his chakra properly to cast ninjutsu.

And pre-Naruto Neji is kind of an asshole, imo. With the way he treated Hinata and Lee, I can only imagine what he would have said to a homeless orphan or someone suicidal, given his philosophy at the time.
True but he didn't need to be more unsympathetic.

We could probably talk in circles about this all day, but that's the problem with shounen power systems. They never really hold up to scrutiny when you ask questions about edge cases.
True a lot of shounen don't fully flesh out how there power system works but in the case of lee it's never addressed what's going on beyond him being talentless.

And to fanon theories in general, I've never seen the reasoning for how defensive some people are with canon versus fanon theories (albeit ones that are well thought out). A lot of works, not just manga, leave a lot to interpretation/subtext,

It depends on what it is some people straight up ignore facts stated in story for there own head canon I can understand this for something's like I personally completely ignore the manga ending to yu yu hakusho. I don't believe canon has to be gospel but the fanon actually has to make sense and it's different when people genuinely believe the fanon. And are making shit up that didn't happen.
To be fair, some people take it in the complete opposite direction. For instance, I'm of the opinion that Worm fanon completely wrecked that community.
Agreed.

Last edited:

Actually we know chakra has physical and spiritual component. Given what it does Eight Gates uses probably only physical aspect of chakra (given that description is literary "removes body limits"). Lee can also stand on water. The reason why he cannot use jutsu is thus probably that his chakra coils don't provide spiritual aspect of chakra making most (but not all) jutsu impossible.

Actually we know chakra has physical and spiritual component. Given what it does Eight Gates uses probably only physical aspect of chakra (given that description is literary "removes body limits"). Lee can also stand on water. The reason why he cannot use jutsu is thus probably that his chakra coils don't provide spiritual aspect of chakra making most (but not all) jutsu impossible.
That's a interesting idea.

No it isn't that fanon that's never said anywhere A fanfic made that up and people actually believe it's real it's not he's just that bad at it, kushina was shit at ninjutsu as well she only could use sealing and her bloodline.
Yes, it IS cannon. I would tell you to re-watch the anime, but really, who's got time for that. It is very CLEARLY and EXPLICITLY stated, multiple times that Lee CANNOT--not 'is shit at' but CANNOT--use ninjutsu, no matter how much infinate effort and training he ever puts into it.

Yes, it IS cannon. I would tell you to re-watch the anime, but really, who's got time for that. It is very CLEARLY and EXPLICITLY stated, multiple times that Lee CANNOT--not 'is shit at' but CANNOT--use ninjutsu, no matter how much infinate effort and training he ever puts into it.
So he said he has abnormal chakra coils that won't allow him to use ninjutsu.

So he said he has abnormal chakra coils that won't allow him to use ninjutsu.
Exactly. The author is coming up with an explanation to flesh out something that cannon writes poorly by saying 'just because'. Which I appreciate.

Seriously though, Lee's disability is literally the main basis upon which his character and character arc is built.

Oh yeah, love your tag by the way, you fucking vampire:D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back