• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Thanks to the improvements I've made in the diet of the locals he's already taller than his father,

It isn't really practical to put everyone through what I consider to be 'normal' schooling, but no one objects to spending a winter's day in a room heated at someone else's expense. According to this, he can read passably well and do basic maths, though apparently he doesn't have the hunger for learning that some of the younger children have acquired.
You're a good egg, Paul. I've been reading a D&D 3.5e rework (PM me for a link). A few sections deconstruct peasant life from the glamorous way most media portrays it. It was a rather eye-opening look at truly depressed economies, life based on 1000 calories, and the facts like completing awful chores (cleaning pig sties) is far more acceptable trade for lodging than metal coins. There's a reason farmers paid taxes with their harvest rather than with coin. And lords "knew better than" to invest in quality of life for peasants since they could not be taxed for gold.

I thought I understood how transformative the roads WHF!Paul was building would be. No, no… peasant life did not resemble the medieval era shows and books I've read. Your characters are genuine heroes, Mr Zoat, and not just for their insightful ethics.

Paul is just jealous he didn't get in first.
Medieval healthcare. Medieval make up. Medieval hygene. Medieval diet.

Though the diet has its up sides as well. Almost no refined sugar means that dental health is actually pretty good. And heart disease is also very rare.

"Don't want to have to kill your sons?" I nod. "Yes, that's the whole reason I banned it in the first place. But since I have a pair of volunteers, I'll try talking to the Amber College again and see if we can't work out a way to avoid that problem."
Should probably get the Cult of Taal and Rhya involved too. While they may despise mutants like most other Cults of The Empire, I could see quite a few them delighted by the idea of stealing from The Ruinous Powers....

Now a lot more are gonna try now that someone got away with no punishment.

I'm a big WHFRP and WH40K fan since the 90s and one day I would really like to read the whole story of Paul arriving and changing the Old World.

Medieval healthcare. Medieval make up. Medieval hygene. Medieval diet.

Though the diet has its up sides as well. Almost no refined sugar means that dental health is actually pretty good. And heart disease is also very rare.
Did Paul, or whatever this variant is called, not introduce modern hygiene? Why that seems like an easy thing for him to fix?

Did Paul, or whatever this variant is called, not introduce modern hygiene? Why that seems like an easy thing for him to fix?
Retraining in-home habits is a NP-hard problem. Even if he Branded folks... well, that might do it anyways, but still, mideavil hygiene was already modern hygiene, all they needed was plumbing and running water and they already know how to do the rest, even toothbrushing is an ancient practice, only made uncommon in that era by lack of appropriate plant life in a given area.

Soap is also something that people already know how to make. The real question becomes if the village in question bothers due to all sorts of other factors.

Thank you, corrected.

Because plumbing on a coast with no infrastructure and little idea how to get that infrastructure is hard.
Septic tank + wetlands in the back yard (network of punctured pipes covered with soil to leak the liquid out into the ground). Problem solved.

The location is very isolated. While they could send someone in his direction, not only is it going to take them ages to get there, that person is going to stick out like a store mutated thumb.
How far is the nearest coast? Norscan longboats get everywhere.

How far is the nearest coast? Norscan longboats get everywhere.
Ah, but I'm a 4th Edition player. In my day, chaos warbands were mostly local corruptees. The Norse are ruled by Erik Redaxe, and have mostly rejected the Gods of Chaos for the Aesir.
Septic tank + wetlands in the back yard (network of punctured pipes covered with soil to leak the liquid out into the ground). Problem solved.
The SI doesn't know that, and the Dwarfs generally avoid swamplands.

Ah, but I'm a 4th Edition player. In my day, chaos warbands were mostly local corruptees. The Norse are ruled by Erik Redaxe, and have mostly rejected the Gods of Chaos for the Aesir.
Oh. Oh. Your portrayal of the Chaos Gods as ineffectual yet persistent irritations makes more sense, now. You've not been keeping up on the lore.

I think the focus is on making their species no longer be engineered to serve chaos gods, not forcible sterilization. Honestly, just inventing some form of birth control would probably be fine. Might require research and large scale production, but that would probably be better than OL spending his days going around sterilizing a species.

That doesn't work at all close to the coast. The water table is too high. You'd need really quite advanced stainless steel to not leach the shit out at ground level because the tank would rust through in months if made with ordinary steel. Probably weeks for iron. Even the good steel requires frequent maintenance here.

That doesn't work at all close to the coast. The water table is too high. You'd need really quite advanced stainless steel to not leach the shit out at ground level because the tank would rust through in months if made with ordinary steel. Probably weeks for iron. Even the good steel requires frequent maintenance here.
Septic tanks are made of concrete, or they can be dug and walled with stone, and you can use tin or copper or bronze or literally anything else that doesn't rust for the pipes. It's not rocket science.

EDIT

Now that I think about it, your argument is super baffling. You do realize these things are literally meant to be filled with watery shit at all times, right? How did you think their design had somehow less of an issue with this than environmental humidity?

Last edited:
"His nose, Alan. What did his nose look like?"
Interesting, a cursed/empowered prosthetic nose which erases the wearer's identity…
71vYPfmEX6L._AC_UY1000_.jpg

Pictured above: Bruno, apparently.
https://www.amazon.com/Officially-Licensed-Groucho-Marx-Glasses/dp/B002R7XO3Y

Just how much time has passed again since Paol's initial arrival and this situation? What else has he gotten into, really curious how he met the various army/race/faction/nation leaders and some other accomplishments like killing all those Greenskins and Skarsnick.

Just how much time has passed again since Paol's initial arrival and this situation? What else has he gotten into, really curious how he met the various army/race/faction/nation leaders and some other accomplishments like killing all those Greenskins and Skarsnick.
I think the dates are a bit off. In Episode 101 Warhammered 1 & 2 are listed as 13th Vendémiaire 1531. Parts 3&4 list 4th Pflugzeit 2510. The later Peacehammer chapters and the three Warhammer Fantasy Battle chapters (episode 95) list 2512. Assuming the first one is a mistake and a thousand years have not passed, he has survived about two years. Karl Franz was elected emperor in 2502.

Septic tanks are made of concrete, or they can be dug and walled with stone, and you can use tin or copper or bronze or literally anything else that doesn't rust for the pipes. It's not rocket science.

EDIT

Now that I think about it, your argument is super baffling. You do realize these things are literally meant to be filled with watery shit at all times, right? How did you think their design had somehow less of an issue with this than environmental humidity?

I may have had the details wrong, but I know from direct experience that you cannot get working septic systems installed in wetlands or coastlines. It's hard to find anyone who will even give you a quote, let alone try to construct it for you. It's very inconvenient if you're trying to, say, turn a beachfront campsite into a livable home, which I have seen firsthand. And if you go ahead and do it anyway, it will constantly have uncontrolled leakage and not do its job. This was a major problem in the district of my hometown near a lake: unwisely-installed septic systems made waste ooze out of the ground if you looked at it funny, because wetlands could not deal with it.

I think the dates are a bit off. In Episode 101 Warhammered 1 & 2 are listed as 13th Vendémiaire 1531. Parts 3&4 list 4th Pflugzeit 2510. The later Peacehammer chapters and the three Warhammer Fantasy Battle chapters (episode 95) list 2512. Assuming the first one is a mistake and a thousand years have not passed, he has survived about two years. Karl Franz was elected emperor in 2502.
Vendémiaire is from the Bretonnian calendar, which uses a different starting year than the Imperial or Verena calendars. 1531 is the equivalent of 2509.

I guess his ring doesn't have a database. The first chapter was so long ago, I can't recall if he had any tech data or not.
He didn't start with a database, although he sometimes pretended to have one made by Larfleeze. He only got a real database when he assimilated a green power ring because one of the Green Lanterns was mind-controlled.

Oh. Oh. Your portrayal of the Chaos Gods as ineffectual yet persistent irritations makes more sense, now.
No, they're highly effective. They just don't dominate the entire north at the moment. Plenty of followers in other places, and if Erik or Sturmjarl die things could very easily backslide.
You've not been keeping up on the lore.
I've been keeping up, just to hate from a point of being informed. Apparently your opponent's weapon skill does nothing to affect how easy it is to hit them these days!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back