• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Created at
Index progress
Incomplete
Watchers
Recent readers

With This Ring
Current Story Only
Second Revised Story Only (Now up to date!)
Historical Story...
Mod introduction + Reminder of Rule 8
Edit: this message is awaiting moderator approval? Weird. Kinda looks like it's just me? I don't know what I did...

The first post is mod approve locked to battle the vile forces of SPAM-BOT prime.

"SJW shit" being code for "common decency"... I don't want to start shit here so soon after the move, so I'm not going to get into a big argument here like I normally might, but I feel you've left me no choice but to address it somewhat, as I will at any time someone uses the phrase "SJW" negatively. The problem was that they censored discussion at all, not which side they censored. Zoat was unambiguously in the wrong, but I think it should have been resolved by everyone shaming him for his wrong opinion, not by banning the voicing of the wrong opinion in the first place. That's how free speech is supposed to work.

I'm not sure if my post counts as "politics", but if it does, then yours should too assuming no mod bias, given that you're the one who brought up the idiotic phrase "SJW" to begin with.

SJW shit is totalitarianism, not common decency.

We can have this argument when the thread ISN'T brand new. But no, wanting people to be referred to as who they are isn't totalitarianism. So called "SJWs" are almost always the ones calling for LESS restrictions on people, such as the right of gay or poly people to marry, or trans people to be legally considered their actual gender rather than birth sex. There are very few people on the left calling for totalitarianism, but a lot of people on the right calling for it and a lot of people on the right claiming people on the left are calling for it.

It seems this place is a rat's nest of wrong opinions though. Honestly, this place being awful is far more likely to make me quit the story than Zoat's opinion was.

Again, if this is "politics" then so is your post.

I'll definitely agree with you there.

I'm firmly in favour of people being pronouned with whatever gender they want (as long as they do their part in appearing to be that gender or at least wearing a t-shirt describing their preferred pronoun), and also in favour of lawmakers who pass stupid bathroom gender laws having to share public bathrooms with people who convincingly appear to be of the opposite gender, but the minute I'm not allowed to laugh at one side is the minute I stop taking that side seriously.

Hello, this is ye olde friendly mod reminder.

Since you're new on the site please be aware that QQ does have a no current day politics thing. And gender politics does count for such.

Posting stories where stuff like politics happen because they're part of a story and not a soapbox platform to expound on politics from, is fine... but discussions of current day politics isn't.

You can check out the rules here - https://forum.questionablequesting.com/threads/rules.1/

Friendly reminders are over. Remember Rule 8 or else.
Most young adults identifying as gender fluid or transgender today, are not actially suffering from gender dysphoria. They are responding to a trend.

The unwillingness of many to distinguish between those actually suffering from a brain-body mismatch (who need our support and care), and people who just want to put others off by messing around with their wardrobes and pronouns, is a big part of the problem.

The idea that even mentioning this is "hateful" and "transphobic" is a bigger part of the problem.
ENOUGH. We told you before to not bring up RL gender poltics here.

We gave enough friendly reminders. We'll start distributing warnings from now on if you still can't follow Rule 8.

Final Notice
Okay, so just before I go to bed for work I get warnings about attempted doxxing.
Given things that have happened in the past couple days I have come to a decision.

Discussion on the topic of gender, the labeling, politics, or otherwise there of is hereby to be put to an IMMEDIATE Halt.
Discussion on the the personal details, real, theorized, or fictional, of Mr Zoat, his name, his contact information, or even his favorite color is FORBIDDEN.

Mods will be reviewing this thread to determine if doxxing was attempted, if so who was responsible, and what punishments, if any, will be meted out.
If you have posted ANYTHING that can be reasonably considered doxxing attempts DELETE THEM IMMEDIATELY.

For now, I will leave the thread open, if you see any posts after this that violate these rules please report them. If you see any previous posts that appear to be doxxing attempts also report them to help mods locate them.

- Good Night
Warning no longer relevant after further review

Last edited:
Retraction
It appears, after some investigation, that I had misunderstood the situation due to a lack of context. I would like to issue an apology to AsTheGlassMelts and @pvd for this. I will not make excuses for this as it is my fault for not doing proper research into the topic before reacting. A thanks to Megaolix for both being able to do so and reverting my warnings and edits.

The previous warning can, for the most part be ignored. While, of course, Doxxing is not something allowed, there is no need to enforce such strong restrictions in this thread. On discussions of gender, as it was in reaction to a misunderstanding the warning is also to be taken back, though a reminder to try and keep it on topic to the story itself. Such discussion does toe the line of Rule 8 but so long as things remain civil there won't be a need for mod intervention for ontopic discussions.

Derail - not the thread to discuss Rule 8
I see Generic_Generica missed one. Don't worry, you won't be left out.

And RE: Discussing how oppressive Rule 8 is/isn't/whatever, yeah feel free to talk about it.... perhaps in a different thread, though, it seems to be veering away from relevance to the story. If you don't want to go into Rants, feel free to make one in general or the Announcements + Rules board, though the Admins have already said their piece in the past.

Thanks and have a nice day.

Rule 8 - Comment in the context of the story
Ironically, the low numbers of surface-worlders who practice magic, and high numbers of people who are afraid of it, especially after Roanoke, might make it possible. It's like firearms in every civilized nation on Earth (no I didn't miss any): everyone knows that leaving them unregulated only facilitates crime, so it's better for everyone to have a national registry and strict regulation of who has access to them.
Wait, you're serious? I mean, without going into nigh-political detail, the U.S. has done and is doing plenty of that stuff (way farther back than 20 years), China is China, India is... I have no idea what India is, a lot of the next few down the population list aren't exactly known for being huge sticklers about human rights... And by that point you have a lot of the world's population covered.
Keep your commentary to the context of the story only; bringing real-world politics into this will not end well for you.

Rule 1 Reminder
s this the your inner voice of reason, reaching out to you from whatever inner pit of stupidity you've buried it into, trying to tell you to actually grow as a person, but you're trying to use its advice to insult me?

My jumped up elemental I think you have some serious issues.

This might actually be in your favor, since if you really have some kind of disorder people might actually pity you.

On the other hand you might not have a disorder and are just an asshole, in which case, Fuck You, you little pathetic piece of shit.
This is well beyond the bounds of the kind of conduct we allow here on QQ. If you can't talk to other people in a thread nicely then I will very nicely make you leave.

Rule 1 Warning
I have an almost instinctual drive to mock and correct idiots like Vaermina on their mistakes and stupidities.

The sad thing is that a lot of Vaerminas contrary barking doesn't fall on deaf ears, and there are people who actually consider a lot of his words to have some degree of truth to them.

Yeah he can make some intelligent comments sometimes, like when he mocked Tangseid, but most of it is still just garbage that sadly some people actually buy.

That you for your concern though.

And thank you for complementing my skills.
Threadban, three days. You were warned.

"Rule 8 - No Politics" is not a shield
Moderation
I'm going to step in here for a moment.
This isn't just an academic matter, either. This misrepresentation of history has led to ongoing discrimination in the modern day, and aspects of the modern state of politics resemble the politics of the mid-1800s in dangerous ways, but I will refrain from elucidating upon either of those out of respect for the rules of this forum.
Stating that further discussion of a topic would be in violation of the rules, implicitly using it as a shield for your argument, is not in keeping with rule 8's objective of avoiding thread derails and heated arguments over politics. The rules are no more a weapon to wield in this manner than threats of reporting.

If you must address a topic, address it. If addressing a topic properly would unavoidably spill over into prohibited territory, then don't bring it up.

Back