1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by Mr Zoat, Jan 27, 2019.

1. Darko

Darko Connoisseur.

So the people are able to deal with the oppressive feeling that Anti-Life brings because they already know how it feels to be oppressed.

Cuchulin likes this.
  2. BrotherofaStudio

BrotherofaStudio Know what you're doing yet?

I can respect only writing these when you have inspiration for them. But I really do hope we get summaries at some point of what the alternate Pauls did when we didn't see them like the Paul in Eternia and Avengers Earth's Mightiest Heroes, we didn't see how they got there or how they bonded with their friends and unless we get these timelines we won't have a full picture of their stories.
    An interesting scenario that seems like just the thing just about any version of Paul would get involved with. That right there could be an excellent entry for an alternate Paul, I do hope you'll change your mind about not having a Planeswalker Paul because it seems to me you have it figured out.

Windona, Cuchulin and Bud-E like this.
  3. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Than.

4. Threadmarks: Fleet Traction (part 3)
    Mr Zoat

Mr Zoat Dedicated ragequitter

1st January 2013
    20:32 GMT

Ring?

It's focusing on our fleet, but it's not a gravity weapon. It's bending space around the ships to… Prevent them turning back?

Ring, is that plausible? Macro-gravity gives me a headache.

Suggestion is plausible.

The Lanterns should be able to fly around it, but-. There go the Scarabs, and the Reach fleet is getting into range. The N.E.M.O. force should win the engagement, but I'm assuming-.

Warning.

The Scarab Lantern reappears, this time towing a Reach troop ship. It forms a giant cannon construct and a construct shield which blocks the shots incoming from the planetary defence network. It then returns fire, yellow energy lancing out and cleaving the closest defence platform in two.

Looks like this is a job for m-.

The Scarab's gun construct swivels and fires at me. It's sub-light so I evade easily enough, but the Scarab Lantern has registered me as the priority threat.

"Good eff-"

The troop transport accelerates towards the surface, construct shield still protecting it as more orbital and ground defences target it. It uses its thrusters to take evasive action, but the shield-.

"-ort."

The shield actually takes it fairly well. I don't think that this Scarab has attained fear enlightenment; I remember the distinct feel of the soul of my alter-ego who had managed that and I'll not forget it any time soon.

Construct armour.

Compliance.

Is Sinestro siding with the Reach, or just using them to test his techniques? Or us?

Railguns.

Compliance.

I fire a volley of crumbler rounds, but at this range the Scarab Lantern will-.

Point defence lasers appear on its shoulders, thin rays of ultraviolet light lancing out and piercing each of the crumbler rounds in turn. Yes, it can still use its integrated weapons along with the power ring. Didn't bother dodging, though, and I've still got some armoured crumblers left over from my fight with the Apokoliptian robot.

"Meat."

The Scarab Lantern is flying backwards, staying close enough to the transport to shield it while facing me so that it can maintain focus. I accelerate, construct boosters behind me because I've seen the construct interdiction system it's created on its back. I'm too well-drilled by my sparring sessions against Guy to even try that.

"Bug."

I smile inside my armour, turn my railgun towards the gravity distortion device the Scarab Lantern brought here and fire a volley of crumbler rounds. It's not close to where we are, but spatial dynamics means that-.

That it only has to bend space a little for them to miss, yes. And-. I see emotions-. Emotion. Fear. There are people on there, and they-.

They're fuelling the Scarab Lantern's constructs. He brought his construct booster with him. Passably clever-.

No, it's the Reach. Flooding the place with a fear toxin equivalent wouldn't be enough. This Scarab will have made sure that they're afraid of it. Overwhelmingly. Not sure how long the Reach had to work on the problem or what their relationship with Sinestro is. Rescuing them would be ideal, destroying that structure and killing them would weaken the Scarab Lantern and free up the fleet.

No. I can manage. I'll prioritise that if any other Yellow Lanterns or a second fleet appear, but failing that I should be able to manage.

Another shot from its construct cannon and this time I intercept it with a construct shield rather than evading. This is our world, interloper, thief, bandit. Try to take it from us and we will squash you.

The shot hits but doesn't penetrate, force endured and attack not sustained. Probably because the Scarab didn't think it would be necessary or useful. The hit was about as hard as a moderate hit from Guy pre-Enlightenment, and I doubt that it was as hard as this Scarab can hit.

Still, it does suggest a perfectly winnable fight.

Magnification shows me the moment that the Scarab realises that I took their hit without slowing. A small sneer, then their face stills for a moment. Then the Scarab abandons their shield construct and uses their Scarab's booster system to fly away from the ship and towards me.

The ship takes a couple of hits and then phases, lasers and plasma beams passing through it without damage. Defence station railguns loaded with phasic rounds open fire, but the volume of space is vast and the projectiles relatively slow. Some might hit, and with the ship's other defences effectively useless in a phased state they might get a kill. Or maybe not.

Deal with the oncoming Scarab Lantern first.

It fires again, beam hitting my shield and once more failing to break it. Then the beam changes, turning into a giant construct drill and spinning to try and bore its way through instead.

It makes a few scratches before my crumbler ram construct hits it in the side and shatters it.

"Did Sinestro not train with you before sending you out?"

I fire the ram towards the Scarab Lantern. Its point defence lasers do nothing, so it throws up a construct shield to block it. Predictably, it's a single layer construct and crumbles instantly, forcing the Scarab to dodge the attack with a snarl.

"Did you think that Reach records of us was all you'd need?"

It accelerates towards me using its booster, blades forming on both of its arms. They have a glowing yellow edge which suggests to me that they'll hit a little harder than normal Scarab swords. It also suggests to me that whoever this is really hasn't integrated the niceties of Lantern combat… Either that or it's too arrogant to deviate from Reach training when it doesn't absolutely have to.

Construct crumbler gauntlets, x-ionised shards and… Load phasic rounds. The Reach ship is flying almost directly away from me and I'm closer than the defence platforms. Aim a few shots at the Scarab Lantern to tie up its point defences and fire.

The Scarab loses a little mass from its booster pack to reform its point defences, but they intercept my shots easily enough.

"Pathetic."

"Yes, because I'm rather bad-"

I smile as the ship shudders and undergoes an emergency phase-in, its primary drive in ruins.

"-at this."

The Scarab Lantern glances back at the ship, but doesn't change course.

"…useless…"

Thing about power rings, is that they make environmental catastrophes easy to deal with. Even if that ship manages to hit a somnolent super volcano, it'll only take a couple of Lanterns a few hours to tidy things up so well that you'd never know that it happened. As it-.

There's little sound in space, so I don't hear it as the Reach ship is repeatedly struck by the local defence systems and torn apart, whatever was inside being spread out across the planet's upper atmosphere.

As it is, it looks like it was just a troop ship.

And now for the Scarab Lantern.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2022
  5. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Ten bucks says he assimilates the Scarab Lantern.

6. Caerwen

Caerwen Know what you're doing yet?

And kill whoever the scarab is puppeteering?

7. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.

8. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It would depend on whether or not there is currently a way to remove the scarab without killing the host. Also, since this is a Scarab warrior from the inner fleet, it's possible that this isn't some mindless host body, but a true member of the Reach species who's been chosen to become a Scarab warrior.

9. FreeGod

FreeGod If you see a God on the road fuck it!

If you can find a way to trigger the enemy's self destruct that's a fairly good way to take them down.

10. Cuchulin

Cuchulin Versed in the lewd.

Also It's not like killing them isn't a mercy.

11. Handlewithcare

Handlewithcare Versed in the lewd.

Paul, wtf, scan the contents of what you just scattered over the planet!

Bioweapons? Supersoldiers? Scarabs???

12. crazygrox

crazygrox Versed in the lewd.

Bioweapon maybe?
    If it involves a scry ward in the design the bioweapon wouldn't be detective to ring scans, and I remember this world being magically active such that even knowing a scry block pattern would be enough to create a scry ward much like how Luthor did the same to paper all over the place.

Cuchulin and mastermenthe like this.
  13. mastermenthe

mastermenthe Mint Thistle

Wait, what? I don't remember this. When did that happen?

If that's real, then that means science fantasy artists have a genuine justification for having user interfaces be embellished with alchemy symbols and tron lines like you see in mobile games these days!

kerleth, Lord Ernest and Cuchulin like this.
  14. Rafin

Rafin Not too sore, are you?

facing
    do

15. Chojin Patriarch

Chojin Patriarch Veteran Lurker

Ah, some form of interdiction platform? The Scarab Lantern dragging it into place effectively let it create an exclusion zone against FTL transit. Great for gaining dominance of the enemy airspace. It's a surprisingly clever move from a Reach agent.

At least it isn't a planet-killer, then. Still going to be a pain to deal with, once the Scarab is eliminated...

They can handle themselves, Illustres. They're well-trained and well-equipped. Look to your own foes.

Let's hope it's a total rookie at Ring-slinging, then. Betting it's leaving great big tethers to its constructs...

Gonna need more than that, bug-boy.

He, she or they seems to be able to focus on their task, as least. Even with the scariest Orange lantern bearing down on them...

That would be the Lord Protector, fresh from Thundercats 2011. Helpful that he's seen a few of himself that have been Enlightened. Makes it easier to recognise in others...

Because while Fear may be more effective against Willpower, it can hurt Avarice as well. And if Sinestro is still holding his 'conquer everything for its own good' plans, he'll have to be ready to fight both colours.

Same problem as their sub-light weapons. If a Lantern can see it coming, it's not going to connect.

At least one good thing came out of last episode's encounter.

Whereas this rookie won't have had a chance to fight Light against Light. No matter how strong they might be, there's no counter for experience.

Perhaps next time, throw some rounds with internal guidance and manoeuvring systems, give them a surprise.

And in a warzone, there's no 'nice' option. Not when they're shooting at you. Just as there are no atheists in a foxhole, there's no non-combatants in a firefight...

The power of level 1 versus level 50... Or whatever level OL technically is.

It just a matter of how much of a nuisance they make of themselves before it ends.

And probably a hell of a lot of fear, not that it'll help the Lantern.

Unsubtle. Who do they think OL is!

Assuming they were given any training at all. Fear isn't the toughest Light to figure out, after all.

I wonder if this offensive was put into play because they acquired a Yellow Ring, or if it's a coincidence...

Melee combat. :rolleyes: How foolish. A skilled Lantern can multi-task. Let OL demonstrate, Scarab...

Yes, you are, assuming that he was aiming at you. :rolleyes:

Starting to get the picture of your position, Scarab? Newflash: you are not the big dog in this fight...

Not going to be that easy, Scarab.

...I assume you did check to make sure there's nothing untowards, OL?

Huh. Not sure what they planned to do with one shipload of infantry... Not like they're Astartes, after all.

Well, one thing eliminated. The Scarab Lantern shouldn't be too much of a threat, and then you can deal with the interdiction platform. Seems a bit of a wet fart of an attack, but it was basically a probing strike. And unless there's an entire flotilla's worth of Scarab lanterns waiting for the signal to attack, it doesn't look likely to be much more trouble...

...a few hours to tidy things up so well that you'd never know that it happened.
    ...as the Reach ship is repeatedly struck by the local defence systems and torn apart...

16. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

It was revealed in Episode 47: Zigzag. It was really just having scry wards discretely added to all forms of paper documents and probably other kinds of things used by LexCorp, and presumably numerous other groups, organizations, and places. That way, it's impossible for Paul or most other Lanterns to scan for sensitive information.

17. Venustoise

Venustoise Getting sticky.

Hey, question, if the Scarab self-destructs while OL is assimilating it, would it stop the assimilation or would it continue regardless? Because Admiral Drolyk died yet the Construct-Ring still assimilated him.

Actually, if he successfully assimilated the Scarab Lantern, would he just assimilate the Scarab or both it and its host? I know Demon Nabu was assimilated without assimilating its hosts, but the Scarab is biologically bonded to its host so would it be a two for one deal or not?

Last edited: Nov 22, 2022
    Windona likes this.
  18. Ngamer11

Ngamer11 Experienced.

Maybe it's because he was killed by the assimilation itself?

Cuchulin likes this.
  19. BR549

BR549 This is filth! FILTH!!

'fires at me'

'facing me'

20. Vanbers

Vanbers Well worn.

Let's be honest, that's objectively a good thing.

Either the Scarab is:

A: Someone who is being puppeted and body-horrored into fear and would welcome the embrace of Death

or

B: A Genuine True-Blue Reach Agent who believes in the Reach, and is thus genuinely deserving of a swift death

So, y'know, win/win. Killing Scarabs is rarely a bad thing. Sure, saving them would be ideal, but speaking personally if I was Scarab'd, I'd be at least 50% cool with them ending it all. Shit is *terrifying* to contemplate. "Prisoner in your own body as it murders your friends and family while you watch" is pure horror, and a very good reason to forgive the guy killing you for killing you, or even thank them.

21. ZzzSlothzzZ

ZzzSlothzzZ The Giver of warm hugs

Yes magic is real.
    And using mobile games with a mild fascination curse is one of the many ways they keep you from noticing the wonderment in life.

The Spell Matrix has you

This phone has been compromised
    'Big Magic' are coming for me.

Take the red pill.
    Free your mind....

Duke Long, Vorian, kraryal and 5 others like this.
  22. Vaermina

Vaermina Well worn.

The moment LePaul fails to realize that having Power Rings means they should be able to engineer things immune to Power Ring scans.

23. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.
    Thank you, corrected.
    Whatever it is, it's on a purely ballistic trajectory such that if the planetary shield and reentry don't destroy it the ground-based automated defences will.

24. Revlis

Revlis Getting sticky.

And hello Fear World.

25. Old Knife

Old Knife Not too sore, are you?

Time to yoink another ring. Haha amateurs.

26. Bud-E

Bud-E Stand up so I can push you down!

Is this scarab the Black Bettle from cannon season 2?

27. Mr Zoat

No.

Bramble Thorn, Bud-E and Ngamer11 like this.
  28. Silveraith

Silveraith Argent Phantasm

Took.

29. Windona

Windona Beetle Queen of Crackshipping

Ahaha, more power does not automatically mean the skill to use it. But given how afraid the Reach Troops were of the scarab warrior, is that just standard for Reach troops or did that one do something special?

Agreed. Infiltrators tend to be natives, but the one warrior we saw in YJ canon was a member of the Reach who willingly agreed to be scarab'd. It would probably be more effective than a situation where there's a scarab and a host that is trapped in their body constantly screaming, especially if said host wants to be free.

30. Mr Zoat

Thank you, corrected.