• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Completely true. But there are far more Entities than there are Darkseids.
Not necessarily. There are a lot of Entities, but depending on how many Darkseid-containing universes there are (between the different universes themselves, plus the different timelines which could presumably reach a gargantuan number through exponential time travel) there might be an even larger number of Darkseids. Of course, though, those Darkseids will have a similar number of strong non-evil opponents, whereas the Entities are kings of their multiverse, so your overall point still stands.
oh no, the dumb phatic shit is escaping from RoyalRoad
Huh, never heard that word before. Although based on the definition I just found by Googling, I don't think that this is phatic. Giving thanks has an actual purpose: showing your gratitude. It is not entirely worthless like the examples I saw under the definition of 'phatic'.
Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

Not necessarily. There are a lot of Entities, but depending on how many Darkseid-containing universes there are (between the different universes themselves, plus the different timelines which could presumably reach a gargantuan number through exponential time travel) there might be an even larger number of Darkseids. Of course, though, those Darkseids will have a similar number of strong non-evil opponents, whereas the Entities are kings of their multiverse, so your overall point still stands.
Point for The Entities though, they can have beings like The Loner who aren't focused on conflict.

There's only one Darkseid.

Remember, Apokolipse exists outside the Speed Force Wall in the Gods Sphere.

Huh, never heard that word before. Although based on the definition I just found by Googling, I don't think that this is phatic. Giving thanks has an actual purpose: showing your gratitude. It is not entirely worthless like the examples I saw under the definition of 'phatic'.
Maybe I'm wrong, of course.

It's phatic. It's just a 'like', but taking up more space. It's impossible to discuss anything in RoyalRoad comment sections because half the comments are just "thanks for the chapter". Fuck that. Use the like button and if you donpt have anything else to say, don't say it.

It's phatic. It's just a 'like', but taking up more space. It's impossible to discuss anything in RoyalRoad comment sections because half the comments are just "thanks for the chapter". Fuck that. Use the like button and if you donpt have anything else to say, don't say it.
You've convinced me.

Fear Ourself (part 16)
20th January 2013
19:12 GMT

The yellow glow is obvious even from a distance. Next to me, Malvolio snarls, while Lantern Priest merely looks slightly sad.

"I am entity Volthoom. World being consumed by fear."

And it's not just a glowing aura. As my ring starts scanning the planet in earnest I see that what I'm seeing is the accumulated light output of millions of construct monsters rampaging over the surface.

"A decent start, we think. It doesn't pay to be completely predictable."

For an instant, I wonder how I'm hearing it. But then I remember: the fear is already there. And that fear is Parallax.

"Why? What possible-?"

"We don't need a purpose; We are our own purpose. Oh, if you could hear it as we do."

"YOU THINK I COULDN'T TURN A WORLD FULL OF PEOPLE INTO PUPPETS JUST FOR THE PLEASURE OF SUBSUMING THEM?! BECAUSE I COULD! I DON'T BECAUSE IT'S MONSTROUS AND SELF-DEFEATING!"

"Then why does it feel so good?"

-!

And we're at the planet, smashing through weak constructs which just reform from the fears of the people below as we pass through and we see the Parallax-man laughing as we bite at him, our mouth more than large enough to envelop their entire body!

"Rage?"

We can see his STUPID face, stare him in the eye, but our jaws won't close!

"Rage is no use. We want FEAR!"

Clawed arms grasp at our body, grasp at our jaw and force it open as the part of us that is the Illustres remembers that this world was a centre of culture. Not only will this attack be transmitted to the rest of N.E.M.O., but if we as its ultimate weapon are shown to be halted or defeated-. We would survive, but N.E.M.O. would risk fracturing.

A colossal spear pierces the side of Parallax-

"Aagh!"

-and they toss us aside, one of their arms scrabbling at the point of impact to try and remove the projectile. We fly through space-.

Ag!

I can feel the Ophidian in my soul, not distantly right now and not anything like as controlled as usual. Fear or anger, intrapsychic arousal amounts to the same thing. But charging ahead isn't the way.

Malvolio's spear evaporates as the Parallax construct's blood coats it, its claw then smoothing down its chitinous hide. He throws another while below him Lantern Priest does something in the planet's upper atmos-.

There's something wet on my neck.

Atmosphere.

Ring, what-?

"You are bleeding."

And why haven't you fixed it? No, fix it.

"Unable to com-. Com-. Comply."

I generate a colossal railgun construct and take aim as Lord Malvolio swings at Parallax with giant burning green fist constructs.

Assimilate.

"In progress."

Message to local Lanterns: wounds inflicted by Parallax become infected with the yellow light.

"Sent."

I add a spatial warp node to my construct weapon as Parallax raises its tail stinger to stab at Lord Malvolio.

Crumbler.

Fire.

The crumbler round hits the tail, the very tip where it connects to the sting-blade evaporated by the strike. The stinger disconnects and starts to fade, Malvolio immediately noticing and moving aside even as he switches to a construct sword to hack at the Parallax construct's wrists.

Weak yellow strands lash out and reconnect the stinger before it can fully fade, stabbing towards Malvolio with renewed vigor. I fire again, but the shot is blocked by Parallax's membranous wing. The wing gets a hole, but the stinger carries-.

"A feeble feint-"

One, two, three, four construct hands grasp the tail, holding it in place.

"-from a foolish foe."

Parallax… Dismisses its own tail, Malvolio's hands closing on nothing as a new, longer and thinner tail emerges from its body, complete with whip-like strands projecting from the tip.

Parallax grins, human mouth widening and monster mouth opening-.

I put a crumber round through each of its eyes, and then as it writhes I take a shot at its neck, closest to where the host stands.

I watch as the construct flesh peels away and he catches it with his human hand, then uses a construct tendril to detonate it.

"Is this all there is?"

I open fire on full automatic. Ten, a hundred, a thousand crumbler rounds fly out as the space between us visibly warps, starts bending aside and the planet all but vanishing! Construct tendrils lash out to intercept, construct wings move to obscure and the main body of the abomination lazily swims through space in an undulating motion to deny me an easy target. Hundreds of tendrils flash out of existence, hundreds of holes open in the wings… Hard to tell how many are hitting the body, but I don't think it's enough to-.

Know fear.

I warp right as a yellow beam scythes through space next to me, my gun construct fading and failing. Then warp again.

Flee from us.

Another miss, but unlike my shots at him those would hurt me if they hit me. I see Malvolio carve great rents in its construct body, but…

It's an Entity. We can't wear it down as we would a normal Lantern, either in terms of ring charge or even psychologically. It's not losing anything it can't replace with a thought.

Fortunately, with all the constructs Malvolio is using-

"I am entity Volthoom. Qwa-matter deployed."

-it's missed the more subtle uses of the green light.

WHOOMPFFF!

Last edited:

"I am entity Volthoon. Qwa-matter deployed."

WHOOMPFFF!

...I'd say this is fully justified crossing of the Godzilla Threshold, but given 'giant monster thing that's yellow' maybe it's more of a Ghidorah threshold?

20th January 2013
19:12 GMT

The yellow glow is obvious even from a distance. Next to me, Malvolio snarls, while Lantern Priest merely looks slightly sad.

"I am entity Volthoon. World being consumed by fear."
Yes, thank you, Volthoom, they do have eyes. Looks like Harralax is being subtle as a sledgehammer with its fear-mongering. About what you'd expect of a wild Entity, not one joined with a human. Presumably they're riding the high of being free right now.

And it's not just a glowing aura. As my ring starts scanning the planet in earnest I see that what I'm seeing is the accumulated light output of millions of construct monsters rampaging over the surface.

"A decent start, we think. It doesn't pay to be completely predictable."
Ugh, no subtlety at all. Then again, would you want the space-bug learning about things like psychological horror? Or Jump-scares?

For an instant, I wonder how I'm hearing it. But then I remember: the fear is already there. And that fear is Parallax.

"Why? What possible-?"
Great. They're already being influenced by them just being here...

"We don't need a purpose; We are our own purpose. Oh, if you could hear it as we do."

"YOU THINK I COULDN'T TURN A WORLD FULL OF PEOPLE INTO PUPPETS JUST FOR THE PLEASURE OF SUBSUMING THEM?! BECAUSE I COULD! I DON'T BECAUSE IT'S MONSTROUS AND SELF-DEFEATING!"
Oh, damn! Looks like they didn't just hit OL's berserk button, they're slamming their face on it like a frigging jackhammer.

"Then why does it feel so good?"

-!
Hey, bugly. :cool: Did you not remember...

Are we're at the planet, smashing through weak constructs which just reform from the fears of the people below as we pass through and we see the Parallax-man laughing as we bite at him, our mouth more than large enough to envelop their entire body!

"Rage?"
...Snakes eat Bugs! :V

We can see his STUPID face, stare him in the eye, but our jaws won't close!

"Rage is no use. We want FEAR!"
Oh, goddammit! All this fear is making him able to no-sell their attacks...

Clawed arms grasp at our body, grasp at our jaw and force it open as the part of us that is the Illustres remembers that this world was a centre of culture. Not only will this attack be transmitted to the rest of N.E.M.O., but if we as its ultimate weapon are shown to be halted or defeated-. We would survive, but N.E.M.O. would risk fracturing.

A colossal spear pierces the side of Parallax-
Saved by the Big Damn Heroes! See, this is why you bring friends!

"Aagh!"

-and they toss us aside, one of their arms scrabbling at the point of impact to try and remove the projectile. We fly through space-.
Yeah, all that Determination burns, doesn't it, fear-boy?

Ag!

I can feel the Ophidian in my soul, not distantly right now and not anything like as controlled as usual. Fear or anger, intrapsychic arousal amounts to the same thing. But charging ahead isn't the way.
But not fully fused anymore. Interesting. Good thing his human rationality is able to overcome her animal instinct.

Malvolio's spear evaporates as the Parallax construct's blood coats it, its claw then smoothing down its chitinous hide. He throws another while below him Lantern Priest does something in the planet's upper atmos-.

There's something wet on my neck.
Let me guess: Priest's trying to broadcast Resistance to the entire planet? Not sure that'd be effective without summoning Ion, though.

Atmosphere.

Ring, what-?
And OL is really off his game here. The joy of their opponent already having his hooks in under his guard.

"You are bleeding."

And why haven't you fixed it? No, fix it.
Hell, I would have thought that would be a standing order in this fight. Unless it would require onerous amounts of charge.

"Unable to com-. Com-. Comply."

I generate a colossal railgun construct and take aim as Lord Malvolio swings at Parallax with giant burning green fist constructs.
Bah! Why use one barrel? Setup up a Metal Storm barrage or something... Dakka will be your friend here.

Assimilate.

"In progress."
The benefit of using the Orange Light. Whatever energy Harrallax throws at him will get eaten.

Message to local Lanterns: wounds inflicted by Parallax become infected with the yellow light.

"Sent."
Optimal strategy: don't get hit. Great. So now he's a Souls-like boss fight.

I add a spatial warp node to my construct weapon as Parallax raises its tail stinger to stab at Lord Malvolio.

Crumbler.
Ooh, this will be a new sensation to the bug. It's probably never been hit by this before...

Fire.

The crumbler round hits the tail, the very tip where it connects to the sting-blade evaporated by the strike. The stinger disconnects and starts to fade, Malvolio immediately noticing and moving aside even as he switches to a construct sword to hack at the Parallax construct's wrists.
Good man. Seeing that he's got ranged support, he immediately clears the line of fire and flanks.

Weak yellow strands lash out and reconnect the stinger before it can fully fade, stabbing towards Malvolio with renewed vigor. I fire again, but the shot is blocked by Parallax's membranous wing. The wing gets a hold, but the stinger carries-.

"A feeble feint-"
Single shots aren't doing it, OL. Bring the rain.

One, two, three, four construct hands grasps the tail, holding in it place.

"-by a foolish foe."
Effective if it were flesh, Malvolio. But...

Parallax… Dismisses its own tail, Malvolio's hands closing on nothing as a new, longer and thinner tail emerges from its body, complete with whip-like strands projecting from the tip.

Parallax grins, human mouth widening and monster mouth opening-.
...They can be as ephemeral as mist.

I put a crumber round through each of its eyes, and then as it writhes I take a shot at its neck, closest to where the host stands.

I watch as the construct flesh peels away and he catches it with his human hand, then uses a construct tendril to detonate it.
"Stop doing that! Do you know how much that stings?!"

"Is this all there is?"

I open fire on full automatic. Ten, a hundred, a thousand crumbler rounds fly out as the space between us visible warps, starts bending aside and the planet all but vanishing! Construct tendrils lash out to intercept, construct wings move to obscure and the main body of the abomination lazily swims through space in an undulating motion to deny me an easy target. Hundreds of tendrils flash out of existence, hundreds of holes open in the wings… Hard to tell how many are hitting the body, but I don't think it's enough to-.
There we go! Too bad the Orks can't see this. I can already hear the football chants of 'Dakka! Dakka! Dakka!'

Know fear.

I warp right as a yellow beam scythes through space next to me, my gun construct fading and failing. Then warp again.
Yeah, the joy of fighting something that effectively could one-hit kill you. (And yes, that boss in the video is meant to be hard. 9999 damage per hit when enraged by daylight combat, against a player with 250 health... And she can fill the screen with projectiles...)

Flee from us.

Another miss, but unlike my shots at him those would hurt me if they hit me. I see Malvolio carve great rents in its construct body, but…
It has more HP than a final boss. The joy of trying to early-run an optional super-boss...

Its an Entity. We can't wear it down as we would a normal Lantern, either in terms of ring charge or even psychologically. It's not losing anything it can't replace with a thought.

Now... Imagine if they'd tried to fight Ophidian, back in the day. With her 'those I kill become my tools' ability in full operation... :confused:

WHOOMPFFF!
Oof! I'm guessing it's an attempt to kill the host, there, since killing Parallax itself is very, very difficult, and risky to boot.

I think I get their plan: Kill Harrolds, and Parallax is left without a tangible host, weakening its' ability to employ its powers with any true direction. Then they bait it into the containment vessel and bing-bang-boom, fight's done? I have the feeling this isn't going to be that easy, though. Let's hope Volthoom's insistence on declaring itself hasn't entirely blown the sneak attack bonus.

"I am entity Volthoon. World being consumed by fear."
These should both be 'Volthoom'.
...grasps the tail, holding in it place.
...grasps the tail, holding it in place.
...as the space between us visible warps, starts bending aside...
...as the space between us visibly warps, starts bending aside...

Should that be 'stinger-blade' or was this intentional?

Some authors don't give a damn about the little number under the chapter and are self conscious enough about their abilities as a writer to need the positive affirmation. Some also see people actively engaging with a story beyond simple likes as proof that people are, you know, actually engaged, which can serve as a form of motivation. Neither of those are bad things.*

But more importantly, this isn't RR, it's QQ. If you don't want to see someone make comments like that just put them on ignore you clown and stop wasting space complaining about a single post in a thread that's hardly active most of the time anyways.

*Though that being said Zoat probably doesn't give a shit, so any words about this subject are basically a waste in this thread anyways.

Hold on, what would happen if he successfully assimilated an Entity's Host? Would that... imprison the Entity in the construct lantern? Would Parallax be stuck within Construct Lantern Harrolds?
I sincerely doubt Paul has the power to do that, even with the Ophidian backing him up.

Hold on, what would happen if he successfully assimilated an Entity's Host? Would that... imprison the Entity in the construct lantern? Would Parallax be stuck within Construct Lantern Harrolds?
It wouldn't work, because he'd be attacking the Entity's emotions. If he could, the Entity would be ejected because the construct lantern wouldn't have the right emotion any more.

Come on, there's bound to be a planet somewhere that's just populated by comically evil people.
'Agh'?
The wing gets a hold, but the stinger carries-.
'a hole'?
Its an Entity. We can't wear it down as we would a normal Lantern, either in terms of ring charge or even psychologically. It's not losing anything it can't replace with a thought.
'It's'

Then why would he want them as puppets? Why would he want their thoughts in his head every time a construct lantern was destroyed?
Well, he was talking about doing it for just the pleasure of subsuming people. If by that he meant subsuming the memories, or if he wouldn't enjoy it unless he was going to actually use the constructs for something, then yeah, it isn't feasible, but if it's just the pleasure of making puppets of people, then I don't think he gets any memories until the construct is returned to the ring for the first time, so he could just assimilate everyone and then order them to sit in a hole or in deep space where they'll probably never be destroyed, or at least not for a long time. I don't think that keeping them manifested like that even costs him any charge, although I could very well be wrong about that.

But I was just being facetious, really. I don't think he enjoys that sort of thing enough that he would actually do it, rather than just orbitally bombarding such a planet if he wanted to kill them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back