• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

No doubt still fully armoured up, because secret identities. Unmasking would seem foolhardy.

Plus while Paul hasn't been hostile so far, it may be safe to have some protection.

Which also raises the question of why their teleport signatures aren't seen. Unless the colour-coded blobs flying through the air are just for the audience's convenience.

Most people also don't look up in the air all that much, and if they do, they may just think the weird colors were tricks of the light.

Like, is it precise down to the foot, or in a general 'couple of hundred meters' range? Though generally, panicked bystanders tends to be a useful indicator of point of origin. :D

And it's actually good that they'd be teleported some distance from the monster.

If they teleported a few feet from it then it may just kill them before they have a chance to raise their defenses, but if they're farther away then they have a chance.

Good cover. Helps that Billy's about the only member whose name starts with the same letter as his colour. As for the whole 'intelligence agency contact' thing, I doubt they'd be willing to work with teenagers, and probably demand Zordon put their hand-picked agents in Ranger suits... Then again, there were teams like Lightspeed Rescue and SPD.

Though if I remember correctly they managed to tap into the Morphing Grid without his help.

Though it's been years since I saw either show, so there's a chance I'm wrong.

One reason Zordon may not work with governments is because he knows various Earth situations are very, very complicated and messy, and throwing giant robots into the equation is not exactly all that helpful.

Yeah, he's fought in wars, but the people he fought against were puppy kicking levels of gleefully evil and had little ambitions aside from just being the worst of the worst, so any moral dilemma he may have had would have been easily removed when he saw his enemy shopping for shoes that would inflict the largest amount of pain on the puppies that they're going to kick.

Aside from the Nazis, a lot of conflicts and wars on Earth are morally gray.

Best case scenario, I'd assume he'd be able to tap into the Morphing Grid or something to sustain his existence.

...Wait, they took their helmets off? I guess they decided 'oh, he's a good guy, it's fine'. :rolleyes:
No, he's just saying that if they had, he still wouldn't recognise them.
He looks left and right, but the other Rangers are out of sight.
Then suddenly you've got something the size of a skyscraper screaming at you.
Mastodon Zord (capitalised "Z").
Thank you, corrected.
Also, I'm kinda expecting a meta Star Trek joke about Vasquez rocks.
Who is Vasquez?

First thing I'd ask Zordon is why the hell is it called the Morphing Grid?

It's a mult-dimensional energy that connects literally everything together including parallel universes and alternate timelines. If one has a way to enter the Grid, they can go anywhere and anywhen in space and time.

It contains the knowledge and memories of everyone who's ever connected to it.

It can grant those connected to it enhanced strength, speed, magic, etc.

It's essentially an afterlife with a revolving door.

And they use it for spandex.

A somewhat familiar situation for him. Great power but finite energy and no method to recharge.

Three broad responses: Absolute conservation to stretch your time, spend power seeking a new power source and go out in a blaze of glory. Last time he went with two. Kinda expecting him to lean towards three this time given his meta situation.

Create a 'real world' material copy of yourself and constantly sync your memories to it until you disappear so continuity of consciousness is maintained.

She may know that, but Zordon, a guy that's fought her before, probably has defenses.
You'd think that, but apparently the command center has, like, a big door. It was a pretty good door. Took like ten pirahnatrons (the seasonal mooks) with a battering ram to get through it. Of course they also just scaled the walls and broke through the ceiling as well.

Of them, the only noticably dangerous one is Goldar/Grifforzer. The others are mostly blithering idiots who are only dangerous by accident, or non-combatant types like Finster/Pleprechaun. Why do you think she sends out her monsters?

Scorpina is also a nasty combatant to deal with, and with any changes, it's highly possible that Rito would show up earlier there. It's mentioned that he had planned on showing up when he first heard that Rita was free, and only redirected due to his father getting involved in something else, then Rita being dumpstered again...and one of the older comics seem to imply that he was heading to earth to let certain issues die down (It's implied that a certain villain was not pleased with him potentially hitting on Astronema) and that catching up to him is a possible explanation for why he doesn't appear during In Space.

Mighty Morphin' Lantern Rangers (part 4)
1st April 1995
11:40 GMT - 7

That's not a prop.

My ring can identify some of the nanotechnology and alchemy flying around the interior, keeping the commander of Earth's power rangers alive and functional. The facial projection he uses to communicate is the least of its functions, and I'm.. a little concerned about exactly what was done to him that it can't just fix him up. Some sort of… Curse? Something doing progressive damage, and they can't repair the underlying cause?

Similarly, non-prop Alpha looks a good deal more impressive than the plastic mask version I remember from the series. Some of his surface systems make sense to me while others… Don't. Real physics…

Real physics doesn't work like comic physics.

"Orange Lantern."

I incline my head slightly as his projection stares down at me.

"Zordon. Thank you for consenting to speak with me. I realise that this must seem like.. a bit of a risk."

"You are not responsible for the circumstances of your creation."

"No, I… Never thought that I was. But from your point of view I can see how this could look like a trick, and I'm.. grateful that you're taking the chance."

"You have been scanned extensively by the command centre's sensors. If you were simply another monstrous creation of Rita Repulsa's henchmen we would not be communicating face to face."

I fan my hands out to the sides.

"Scan away. Please. You probably know more about me than I do at this point."

"My knowledge of alchemy is not equal to the knowledge Baboo possesses, but I will tell you what I can."

"Am I an organic human?"

"You are not. You are a magic construct given life by alchemy. Your body resembles a human body. It will function like one, until the magic animating you runs out."

"That-." I bow my head. "I'm sorry, you're the expert, but I was assuming that.. my body was a human body. My ring is.. working. Even if I am made of-. Being sustained by magic, anything I make is just.. made, isn't it?"

"My scans are not exhaustive, but no. Things created by expending magic will be unmade once the power of that magic is gone."

"That-." I frown. "Sorry, I… I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea."

"That is quite alright."

"So… Matter I rearrange? That would snap back?"

"As far as I can determine, yes."

"Then what was the point? I mean, presumably they wanted me to fight the Rangers. If I can't do anything permanent and.. if I killed them they'd.. just come back from the dead when my timer ran out…"

"With the Rangers incapacitated, Rita Repulsa would be free to strike anywhere on Earth. Furthermore, it is possible that she or Baboo could maintain the effect, or further stabilise it."

"Damn, that's… That's actually worse than my worst-case scenario. I just…" I raise my left hand. "Thought I might have to go without my ring."

"I'm sorry, but unless Baboo returns to Earth we lack the knowledge required to aid you."

"What about the morphing grid?" Pink Ranger steps forward. "Could he use that to power him instead?"

"I'm afraid that the energies are incompatible. While he could draw upon it, it would not sustain him."

Damn. Um.

Okay.

It… Sounds like the only way I can survive this is.. either find a source of magic power that by some miracle happens to be compatible with whatever it was that Baboo did to create me, or-.

"The potion residue. Is there anything we can do with that?"

"While Alpha was able to analyse the components, replicating those that were made by magic is not possible. Even if it were, that potion was designed to give life to a fictional character, not to sustain one which already existed."

"That would simply be a matter of letting me return to my comic-" I glance at the console which it is lying on. "-and applying it again. But you're sure that there isn't any source of the magic components on Earth?"

"I cannot be completely sure without conducting a detailed survey of the entire planet, and that is impossible with the resources on hand. However, I am as certain as I can reasonably be."

"Does Baboo.. come to Earth.. frequently?"

Three Rangers shakes their helmeted heads.

Red thinks for a moment. "I think this was only the second time I've ever seen him."

"Does he have anything he's particularly partial to? Something I could use to lure him here?"

"No, but in any case, given the failure of his task today, it is most likely that he will avoid drawing attention to himself for a time."

"Okay. Ah. Any idea how long I have?"

"I will not be able to determine that without more data. I suggest remaining here for the time being."

"I appreciate the offer, but you've just told me that you can't help me. And.. I need to be out… Doing something."

Zordon looks down at me for a moment.

"I understand. I have altered the security systems to grant you access. You may return at any time."

"Thank you. Um." I turn to face the Rangers. "Thank you for trying, I suppose."

I brush past the Rangers and head towards the exit in something of a daze.

Last edited:
and I'm.. a little concern

"concerned"

Real physics…

You live in a comic physics universe.

"Then what was the point? I mean, presumably they wanted me to fight the Rangers. If I can't do anything permanent and.. if I killed them they'd.. just come back from the dead when my timer ran out

Unless death is a bit more permanent.

I brush past the Rangers and head towards the exit in something of a daze

I can't remember the last time we've seen Paul be so lost.

"Then what was the point? I mean, presumably they wanted me to fight the Rangers. If I can't do anything permanent and.. if I killed them they'd.. just come back from the dead when my timer ran out…"

"With the Rangers incapacitated, Rita Repulsa would be free to strike anywhere on Earth. Furthermore, it is possible that she or Baboo could maintain the effect, or further stabilise it."
How many degrees of separation does that apply to? If he rearranged matter to form a factory, then had the factory build something, would the factory's products snap back once he was defeated as well? Would the Ranger's remain dead if he killed them with a gun made by said factory? Or even from one he stole from somewhere else?

Easy solution is to enslave the magic casters with the orange ring, overwriting their desires to conquer earth and do evil with the desire to help Paul find a way home and keep him topped off with magic power in the meantime. Gets even easier if the good guys pretend to lose a battle and/or pretend to have their command center crippled to give paul an opportunity for a close range sneak attack.

1st April 1995
11:40 GMT - 7

That's not a prop.

My ring can identify some of the nanotechnology and alchemy flying around the interior, keeping the commander of Earth's power rangers alive and functional. The facial projection he uses to communicate is the least of its functions, and I'm.. a little concern about exactly what was done to him that it can't just fix him up. Some sort of… Curse? Something doing progressive damage, and they can't repair the underlying cause?
To be fair, Zordon is trapped outside regular time-space thanks to a curse from Rita. The whole tube setup is as much an active connection holding him in this era and place as it is a communications device.

Similarly, non-prop Alpha looks a good deal more impressive than the plastic mask version I remember from the series. Some of his surface systems make sense to me while others… Don't. Real physics…

Such is the nature of being a magitech artificial sapient being from another planet.

"Orange Lantern."
Focus, OL. Worry later, get information and exposition now.

I incline my head slightly as his projection stares down at me.

"Zordon. Thank you for consenting to speak with me. I realise that this must seem like.. a bit of a risk."
Given that if Billy knows who he is, then he also likely knows some of the things he's done. And while wiping out an evil race or two probably wouldn't piss Zordon off, he isn't likely to approve.

"You are not responsible for the circumstances of your creation."

"No, I… Never thought that I was. But from your point of view I can see how this could look like a trick, and I'm.. grateful that you're taking the chance."
Since there's no telling what sort of mystical hooks could have been in him, for example? Like Rita scrying him as a way to get through the Command Centre's protections?

"You have been scanned extensively by the command centre's sensors. If you were simply another monstrous creation of Rita Repulsa's henchmen we would not be communicating face to face."

I fan my hands out to the sides.
Still, big show of trust regardless.

"Scan away. Please. Your probably know more about me than I do at this point."

"My knowledge of alchemy is not equal to the knowledge Baboo possesses, but I will tell you what I can."
Problem of being a battle mage rather than a dedicated researcher type.

"Am I an organic human?"

"You are not. You are a magic construct given life by alchemy. Your body resembles a human body. It will function like one, until the magic animated you runs out."
Oof. Blunt, but I suppose it's better than sugar-coating it for him.

"That-." I bow my head. "I'm sorry, you're the expert, but I was assuming that.. my body was a human body. My ring is.. working. Even if I am made of-. Being sustained by magic, anything I make is just.. made, isn't it?"

"My scans are not exhaustive, but no. Things created by expending magic will be unmade once the power of that magic is gone."
What about the effects of thing he's done? If he levelled a building, would it stay levelled, or snap back into wholeness? What about if he provides technological information to Billy, who makes direct copies of it? Would the copies erase themselves?

"That-." I frown. "Sorry, I… I'm having trouble getting my head around the idea."

"That is quite alright."
It's not exactly a simple concept, after all.

What if he writes something down using a provided pen? That's not matter he's rearranged directly. Seriously, I'm surprised OL isn't looking for loopholes. Must be too shocked.

Okay. Time for a trip to the Moon to snag the blue flying monkey.

"Damn, that's… That's actually worse than my worst-case scenario. I just…" I raise my left hand. "Thought I might have to go without my ring."
What's more concerning is what happens to his memories of this time here? I know OL proper is probably experiencing this, but would... Man, this is ontologically confusing.

"I'm sorry, but unless Baboo returns to Earth we lack the knowledge required to aid you."

"What about the morphing grid?" Pink Ranger steps forward. "Could he use that to power him instead?"
As long as it's not Pink energy. Too much of that is dangerous, you know. :p ...Actually, is there Orange Morphin Grid energy? What is the significance of a Ranger's given colour?

"I'm afraid that the energies are incompatible. While he could draw upon it, it would not sustain him."

Aw, no outright Orange Ranger moment, unless he copies the outfit himself.

Ah, there's his thanatophobia. Been a while since he's had to worry about dying permanently.

It… Sounds like the only way I can survive this is.. either find a source of magic power that by some miracle happens to be compatible with whatever it was that Baboo did to create me, or-.

"The potion residue. Is there anything we can do with that?"
A logical assumption, but...

"While Alpha was able to analyse the components, replicating those that were made by magic is not possible. Even if it were, that potion was designed to give life to a fictional character, not to sustain one which already existed."

"That would simply be a matter of letting me return to my comic-" I glance at the console which it is lying on. "-and applying it again. But you're sure that there isn't any source of the magic components on Earth?"
And again, would he retain the memories of what's happened so far, or would the fresh OL be just as confused as he initially was?

"I cannot be completely sure without conducting a detailed survey of the entire planet, and that is impossible with the resources on hand. However, I am as certain as I can reasonably be."

"Does Baboo.. come to Earth.. frequently?"
...That's a big nope. It's very rare for the quirky miniboss squad to be seen outside of the big bad's lair in most Sentai shows... Usually only when they're overseeing some manner of operation, and usually they flee on sight when the heroes show up.

Three Rangers shakes their helmeted heads.

Red thinks for a moment. "I think this was only the second time I've ever seen him."
To be fair, they could easily be mistaken for very weak monsters. Though I assume Zordon told them about Rita's assitants at some point.

"Does he have anything he's particularly partial to? Something I could use to lure him here?"

"No, but in any case, given the failure of his task today, it is most likely that he will avoid drawing attention to himself for a time."
Rit'a probably likely to get upset at him for using magical components in such an inane potion. And an upset Rita is a LOUD Rita.

"Okay. Ah. Any idea how long I have?"

"I will not be able to determine that without more data. I suggest remaining here for the time being."
I mean, the energy contained could go 'poof' at any moment. And it could go explosively. Have you seen the discharges when Monsters get blown up?

"I appreciate the offer, but you've just told me that you can't help me. And.. I need to be out… Doing something."

Zordon looks down at me for a moment.
For instance, finding out loopholes in the 'nothing magical is permanent' restriction he's apparently working under. Carefully and with minimal Ring charge consumption.

"I understand. I have altered the security systems to grant you access. You may return at any time."

"Thank you. Um." I turn to face the Rangers. "Thank you for trying, I suppose."

I brush past the Rangers and head towards the exit in something of a daze.
...That could be a worry. But I assume the security is smart enough not to let him in with bad guys around.

Well, this promises to get a bit dark by the end of it. What will this OL do, knowing his time is limited? Wonder what the Rangers will do about their new and uncertainly short-lived guest? He's young enough to pass for a teenager, of course, so he might well fit in at the usual hangouts. So he won't have to be lonely, if nothing else...

I'm reminded of Linkara's review of SPD, in which he points out that the majority of the prime villian's attacks were successful distractions while they went off and did other stuff, working towards their final goal.

Also, how will Zordon/OL measure the alchemic energy available/remaining?

It will function like one, until the magic animated you runs out."
'animating'?
"That would simply be a matter of letting me return to my comic-" I glance at the console which it is lying on. "-and applying it again.
Is he hoping he would retain his memories from after his creation, or is he just willing to accept new blank copies being made as an improvement over complete death? If the latter I'm a little surprised, I thought he was the sort to not see a copy as part of himself.

Easy solution is to enslave the magic casters with the orange ring, overwriting their desires to conquer earth and do evil with the desire to help Paul find a way home and keep him topped off with magic power in the meantime. Gets even easier if the good guys pretend to lose a battle and/or pretend to have their command center crippled to give paul an opportunity for a close range sneak attack.

I don't think it's even certain if this Orange Lantern can do everything that the Illustres can. Unless I misunderstood, this Paul is not the Illustres, the SI, it's a magical construct created from a comic book representation of the Orange Lantern we know.

So would he be able to brand people or rearrange desires? I might be reading too much into it, but he thought he couldn't see the desires of the Rangers, what if that's because he can't? And what home woulf he return to? DC Earth 16 has its Illustres, this is a copy, he has no actual home.

That's why this is so fascinating to me, it's the Illustres (or at least a copy of him) having to confront his fear of death or non-existance, essentially. I imagine he will brainstorm and try to find a solution to keep existing; he might even find it and end up being the Orange Ranger, the version of Paul for this universe. But until then, he just got told he has an expiration date and no clear solution to prevent it.

Actually, is there Orange Morphin Grid energy? What is the significance of a Ranger's given colour?

There have been Orange Rangers (or characters that use orange as their primary colour, even when named things like "Nova Ranger") in the franchise, yes.

Speaking in a meta sense, according to a website about colour meanings, in Japan orange symbolises "love and happiness. It also denotes civilisation and knowledge." I could certainly see the latter applying to Paul, given his general meta-knowledge and "uplift" modus operandi . . . However, what orange means within the Power Rangers franchise is a bit harder to determine; if you look at the colour meanings website, it's easy to see why certain sentai characters are the way they are, as they're definitely patterned from that general concept - though not always. The best answer I can give you is to quote the recent Power Rangers tabletop RPG (published by Renegade Game Studios - the following is from their A Jump Through Time supplement), which summarises an Orange Ranger's "Spectrum Role" like this:

Orange Ranger

The Orange energy of the Morphin Grid's Ranger Spectrum embraces the power of imagination, inspiration, and artistry. Orange Rangers are filled with personality and creativity, along with the flexibility to improve their team. They tend to be inventors, artists, creators of ideas, and dreamers. Their flexibility lets them fill any need or position on the team, especially if the work allows them to set their creative mind to completing their task in some new and exciting way.

CREATIVITY RULES

The Orange energy of the Grid attaches itself to creative mentalities. It then enhances their ability to think outside the box and gives them the power needed to wield it on behalf of the side of good. They find new ways to accomplish tasks or overcome obstacles, often improvising or taking unorthodox paths.

TEAM PLAYER

Even though an Orange Ranger excels when working alone due to their powers of creativity, they can also boost the team in many ways. Orange Rangers see the abilities and gifts of their fellow Rangers and, through the power of their part of the Spectrum, find more ways to wield them. When a team is hoping they need a particular proficiency or tool, even if they already have one but need two, an Orange Ranger can figure out a way to make that happen.

ONE OF A KIND

Unlike many other kinds of Ranger, who maintain a physical image like the other team members, those wielding the Orange Spectrum alter their Morphin shell to express their creativity. This sort of individuality is rare for the core elements in the Ranger Spectrum.

. . . Oddly enough, this would fit Paul quite well, I think. Anyways, I hope this answers your questions, or at least helps. :)

I could see Paul going full hedonism. He has just been told that he is going to die soon and that everything that he does will be undone with his dead. Which means that he is basically living in the world of no consequences well being separated from all his friends.

Paul is no less greedy than any other orange ring holder and now all his constructive outlets have been cut off.

Doubt it.....With the limitation that anything he directly effects using the lantern powers he has reverting, then he's left with using the powers to access or create conventional tools that will persist afterwards. That leaves him with plenty of options on how to make a lasting impact, or possibly find an alternative means of survival. He doesn't have a proper 1 to 1 map of physics / magic in this universe, but building a clone body is possible in this universe. The Mind / Soul transfer aspect would be the hard part due to a lack of a trustworthy mage type to handle it.

What ever created this OL created the Enlightened version, hence the quotes. So he's not likely to laps into destructive tendencies when something more worth wide is an option.

Zoat said this was 'pre green ranger' times, but if I remember correctly there was a magical duplicate of Tommy made later on, that went on to be Tom, much like say...Will and Thomas Riker in Star Trek. And Zordon said it would be possible to use the Morphing Grid, just not to sustain himself.

Alternatively you go for the Robot duplicate option, which I Think we've seen sapient robots plenty in that universe, since Alpha is right there in the room as just one example.

Just downloading a copy of the Ring's Database to a Power Ranger Brand Computer would give the locals a technical advantage, even if all the sci fi stuff came with a 'Please double check this operates under your universe's laws of physics before using' warning on it all.

Plenty even a Pseudo-OL can manage to improve and uplift. If he's going out with a bang, it might be the kind that leaves people making Statues to him, rather then a fast night though Vegas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back