• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

Here he comes to save the day!
Do not start the Mighty Mouse with me.

It my primary school, whenever it was too wet for us to be released outside during break, we were herded into the library and shown one of two videos. One was Mighty Mouse, the other was Super Ted. And they always rewound them, so I must have watched the same two episodes over a hundred times in total, sometimes twice on a single day.
...but between what's clearly a casting aid and his aged stick-like arms...
Should be 'freezing', unless it's being really artsy. :p
...then tries to raise a shield spell of some sort...
His hair darkens to his original brown and his flesh becomes a little more vibrant.
...his rushed shield failing to stop my descending daiklave!
Thank you, corrected.

Wait, he was killed with the Sword of the Fallen. So he and his knowledge are all alive, no? Probably somewhere on Atlantis even?

Hey, does Grayven know the sword doesn't kill, just forces a powerless reincarnation?

Hey, does Grayven know the sword doesn't kill, just forces a powerless reincarnation?
He was informed of this after Lex revealed that Klarion was still around, albeit powerless. He got a better explanation from John Constantine, who seemed incredulous that the Renegade didn't check to see what the magic sword actually did before he went around stabbing people with it.

Wait, he was killed with the Sword of the Fallen. So he and his knowledge are all alive, no? Probably somewhere on Atlantis even?
Not necessarily Atlantis, but yes, I think that's what Zoat intends. It's just a question of how much effort Grayven (or anyone else) puts into tracking him down, later.

Yes. Heck, he had that conversation with Nabu a few segments ago.

Is he trying to keep that secret from Orin and/or Luna then? Because he talked and behaved as if he was going to kill him and lose his knowledge forever (except for potential necromancy shenanigans). Even in his own thoughts he mused about assimilating him as the only alternative.

Rant about the critical drinker

Sigh. This is literally the same thing every late night tv show host does except they bat for the left and not the right. The Critical Drinker (Who full disclaimer I like and watch) does this too. He does typically argue good points about things that are wrong in movies and I think your argument here is flawed in that you see your own interpretation of the ending as the only possible interpretation.

Is he trying to keep that secret from Orin and/or Luna then? Because he talked and behaved as if he was going to kill him and lose his knowledge forever (except for potential necromancy shenanigans). Even in his own thoughts he mused about assimilating him as the only alternative.
No, because Ahri'ahn is dangerous enough that he's going to prioritise hunting him down while he's still mundane.

Sigh. This is literally the same thing every late night tv show host does except they bat for the left and not the right. The Critical Drinker (Who full disclaimer I like and watch) does this too. He does typically argue good points about things that are wrong in movies and I think your argument here is flawed in that you see your own interpretation of the ending as the only possible interpretation.

I've never really watched the guy, what kinda' points is he making? Because yeah, a lot is pretty wrong with modern movies, so I'm rather interested in what he has to say. Oh, and since you brought it up what's your interpretation of Barbie's ending? Sounds like you've watched it, so I'm sure you have some words about it. The thread seems to think it's a bit divisive, but I've never seen it personally so I'm not sure I can weigh in on all that.

Can people who were killed and resurrected by the sword of the fallen gain their power back or is it gone forever?

I've never really watched the guy, what kinda' points is he making? Because yeah, a lot is pretty wrong with modern movies, so I'm rather interested in what he has to say. Oh, and since you brought it up what's your interpretation of Barbie's ending? Sounds like you've watched it, so I'm sure you have some words about it. The thread seems to think it's a bit divisive, but I've never seen it personally so I'm not sure I can weigh in on all that.

Drinker typically rips modern hollywood over prioritizing messaging over the good storytelling and characters. His "Why Modern Movies Suck" is a good series that breaks it down. He also does a great breakdown comparing a scene in Ghostbusters to the 'same' scene in Ghostbusters (2016). Here. However he HAS gotten to a point where I think he has focused on it so much that he can be overly harsh on it. Ex. I had a friend who actually was the one that introduced me to the Drinker go see Indiana Jones and the Dial of Destiny, which the drinker hated, and he liked it just fine. And the Drinker is aware enough that he will mention it when what he thinks something will be bad in the previews like Prey is better then he expected.

The issue with Barbie I think is there didn't go deep enough explaining how the Barbieland/Real World reflection/cross contamination works and not showing enough that there were making the 'real world' a satire as well (At least I hope that is what they are doing). So it makes it harder to tell what they are treating as 'serious' vs what they are doing for the jokes. Ex. The Mattel board irl is 6/5 Men/Women split so that is played up. The ending heavily implies to me at least that they see the Kens as the current state of women in the real world and that it is okay for them to keep them in such a state as 'Balance' to the real world. However lines like when the Kens ask for a single supreme court seat they are laughed at and denied doesn't compare well to the actual current court that has a 5/4 split. So I see what I think there were aiming for but I believe it missed the mark for a great many.

modern hollywood over prioritizing messaging over the good storytelling and characters

As far as I'm aware that's actually for a pretty good reason. They drop all the writers after the first or second draft and dump any fixes that need to be made after that on directors and producers, on top of their other duties. It's caused a massive strike for the past few weeks, which is set to keep going until the execs can either literally starve them out or writers get their normal jobs back. Apparently it's been going on in the background for years now, which is why writing quality has seen a noticeable dip in a lot of projects.

The issue with Barbie

I actually saw a video essay that kind of touched on how media handles messages recently (though it was actually about video games so isn't really relevant here), and the point they brought up I wanted to mention is that western media (as opposed to eastern/Japanese) is typically very heavy-handed with their commentary. The preference is to make absolutely certain that the audience will get what you're trying to say, even if it comes off as a bit silly. It's just kind of a weird cultural thing we do, because symbolism is for nerds I guess.

But this is, uh, more than a bit off topic at this point, so I'll stop here.

As far as I'm aware that's actually for a pretty good reason. They drop all the writers after the first or second draft and dump any fixes that need to be made after that on directors and producers, on top of their other duties. It's caused a massive strike for the past few weeks, which is set to keep going until the execs can either literally starve them out or writers get their normal jobs back. Apparently it's been going on in the background for years now, which is why writing quality has seen a noticeable dip in a lot of projects.
They aren't getting their jobs back. They're being replaced with AI, which is cheaper and can already produce roughly the same quality as mediocre writers and actors.

Regarding Barbie, the director of the film said that when they were filming the scating scene where -in the film- someone slaps Margot Robbie's arse? There were plenty of people around and none of they even spoke to her. Instead, it was Ryan who got all the admiration.

They aren't getting their jobs back. They're being replaced with AI, which is cheaper and can already produce roughly the same quality as mediocre writers and actors.

The Supreme Court has already ruled that anything an AI makes cannot be put under anything other than Creative Commons. So they're going to have to fight that, going against a very large number of people in Hollywood and some rather harsh public sentiment, to be able to make that work. They absolutely could, but it's a legal battle that may leave many a studio defunct from the lack of media they can legally copyright and maybe the legal fees. Most AI are also rather shit at this point, and people were already complaining about low writing quality for years because of the issue I mentioned of, you know, not having actual writers and just assuming people trained in cinematography could write well enough to replace an actual professional.

Assuming The Supreme Court isn't staffed by a bunch of cowards.

Regarding Barbie, the director of the film said that when they were filming the scating scene where -in the film- someone slaps Margot Robbie's arse? There were plenty of people around and none of they even spoke to her. Instead, it was Ryan who got all the admiration.

Okay? I seem to be missing the point you are trying to make with this?

The Supreme Court has already ruled that anything an AI makes cannot be put under anything other than Creative Commons. So they're going to have to fight that, going against a very large number of people in Hollywood and some rather harsh public sentiment, to be able to make that work. They absolutely could, but it's a legal battle that may leave many a studio defunct from the lack of media they can legally copyright and maybe the legal fees. Most AI are also rather shit at this point, and people were already complaining about low writing quality for years because of the issue I mentioned of, you know, not having actual writers and just assuming people trained in cinematography could write well enough to replace an actual professional.

Assuming The Supreme Court isn't staffed by a bunch of cowards.

Honestly, being put under Creative Commons isn't a bad thing. They can still screen it with ads, same with everyone who wants to.
Produced for free, everyone enjoys it for free.

Then actual writers can focus on making more creative things that AI can't do.

Okay? I seem to be missing the point you are trying to make with this?
Which part?
Superman and Mickey Mouse should have been public domain decades ago. You'll note that they aren't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back