• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 transition feedback

Is anyone else missing a ton of watched threads?

Edit: Never mind, I just needed to deselect the unread tag. I'll leave this here in case anyone else needs it

Last edited:
Floating header should be disabled by default and stay on top of the page, just a Home button press away - it's the cancer of the current internet, which, I remind you, is often viewed on wide screen displays where vertical space is premium.

Generally, less animated crap and other visual noise and delays = better design.

Current "Dark" theme is too bleak and low contrast.

Alerts drop-down is too narrow, less entries are visible at a time especially with long thread\user names.

Empty margins on the sides are too wide.
Many other margins became bigger, leaving less space for actual functional elements.

Last edited:
I don't think QQ has ever been able to host images beyond our profile pictures. Everything else has to be pulled from another server as far as I'm aware. A private Discord server that only I could access has been my go-to for that for a while, but apparently there's been issues with that recently.
2 options.
1 - I'm hallucinating and it will still be a good feature.
2 - ???
3 - profit.
Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating something else - when you hovered the mouse button on a threadmark in the threadmarks tab, the window that popped popped up or down? because I can swear that it pooped where you had more space for the full window pop-up, unlike SB,SV, and QQ now.

2 options.
1 - I'm hallucinating and it will still be a good feature.
2 - ???
3 - profit.
Just to make sure I wasn't hallucinating something else - when you hovered the mouse button on a threadmark in the threadmarks tab, the window that popped popped up or down? because I can swear that it pooped where you had more space for the full window pop-up, unlike SB,SV, and QQ now.
Can't say I've ever noticed that, most of my stuff isn't done from my desktop… *looks to clean laundry pile in computer chair*… for reasons. But my very first guess on that one is that it might be/have been your browser. Some of them do that, though some sites also do have a feature for that.

Hmmm... I usually read on dark mode, this new version however is pretty hard on my eyes.

It gives text a grayish tint that makes everything sort of blurry for me after a while like it's blending into the a-bit-darker gray background.

Several people have already mentioned this, but I emphatically suggests people use a browser extension dark mode on the Xenforo default style. Easily the most tolerable version of the site rn.

That said...

i miss ui x dark/light

why does posting it as just image not work? or well it breaks in the preview, but the images are there in the text box

edit:
let's see if this works for posting images
25v4VpJ.png

1rZ4atr.png
huzzah!, ibb works!

I, too, am going to miss ui x dark. That style is QQ to me in a way I don't think anything can replace.

Hereunder, kindly report any difficulties or infelicities associated with the forum styles, or requests for adjustment to same. In any request, please include the name of the style in use, accessible by viewing the 'Preferences' screen under the user control menu. We will respond to such requests at our earliest capability.
Others have already spoken in greath breadth of the dark mode style issues, which is my preference for site theme viewing.

On my end, I mostly require the textbox to be fixed.

I find TinyMCE to be the closest to what I need, in terms of the actual typebox responsiveness, so I will be focusing on that in the hypes in can be refined to something similar to the old.
The available icons interface needs adjustment. It is missing significant amounts of functionality that the old xenforo1 had (spoilers, quotes, indents, etc.) and the top tabs are mostly pointlessly redundant.

Also, for whatever reason, the typebox is small. Or more specifically, it makes the text too big.

I would appreciate it if the default text in the TinyMCE typebox were to be made similar to the Froalla or XF1 sizes.

Also, there are times in Fullscreen mode that the dropdown boxes when clickng things such as Font style, FOnt size, colors, end up appearing at the bottom rather than sprouting from their intended icon.

It is inconsistent, but very annoying when it happens.

Tossing my hat into the new themes pile, some form of alternative Dark mode would be great, my eyes are pretty bad and grey text on grey background is giving me an actual headache trying to read.
Hmmm... I usually read on dark mode, this new version however is pretty hard on my eyes.

It gives text a grayish tint that makes everything sort of blurry for me after a while like it's blending into the a-bit-darker gray background.
Just a note that I have a CSS ruleset which should help with the visibility and contrast of the Dark theme, over here. The brightening of text and darkening of the backgrounds are most likely to help with readability.

Going to be honest, I think this sucks. The minimalist look was kind of nice at first, but I'm already tired of it. The old black and purple I used looked better, the functionality was better, there were more options, and it didn't require looking for new browser extensions.

Now, QQ just looks like an even more tryhard SV.

Last edited:
Reposting from the other thread. (Wow I posted this in styles sorry)

everal updates have now been made to the testbed:

- The Froala editor now has the full-screen option available
That's very good. I'm hoping the buttons could also be edited so that the "more options" dropdown lists are just naturally in the textbox.

Though there is still the issue that it is VERY hard to notice when a rich text is being used (bolded/italics/etc.) because the only indicator is a REALLY minor brightening of the icon. Need to make the icon change more obvious, either a more intense bolding/glow, or make the color change to a distinct hue when an icon is being used.

- The TinyMCE editor has been updated for a UI more similar to the current one, and also now supports tables
It's gotten much better. I very much appreciate having the color button having that "retain the last used color for instant click-edit" option. Very nice.

I'd say for 99% of convenience, the TInyMCE editor is just missing the "insert edit image" (I don't need this on a laptop, but on a phone? This is the ONLY way I can add pictures while on a phone), and the "Quote" and "Insert Spoiler" buttons. Having to manually type those is hell, so definitely needed on a phone (on a PC at least I can copy the bbcode or something so it's just ctrl-v to what parts I need).
Also, please add a "Save draft" and "Delete draft" options. TinyMCE is definitely missing that. Ideally, there is a very obvious indicator of when it is activating.

I personally don't use smilies and special characters, neither with unordered and ordered lists. But I sometimes use "indent" when I'm writing, especially on character sheets and other data posts when I want to put some subordinate rule or related minor information/data below a more important entry.
With those, that's basically every button I reliably use on the qq textbox.

Minor bit of error: sometimes on fullscreen on the TinyMCE editor, whene I click one of the dropboxes (the color palette, or text size, or text font, etc.) the dropbox appears on the bottom of the editor rather than sprouting from the icon.

ALso, request for both textboxes: put the "Edit BBcode directly" mode on the far far right, away from the FUllscreen button, enough distance that accidental misclicks are unlikely. IF you misclick the fullscreen button, you just click it again to opt out. IT's just a view change, so reverting is instant.
But accidentally clicking the bbcode button suddenly makes the entire textbox change fundamentally as the computer runs a bit of data to convert the text to bbcode, etc and you can't stop the process. (also, the bbcode editor starts out really tiny and you have to expand the borders yourself on a PC to an acceptable size. This cannot be done on a phone)

New stuff separate from the copied post.

Froala Editor: When I click "horizontal line" it produces the "[ HR ] [ / HR ]" instead. Which is fucking weird.
Not a huge concern, but it's just really not my thing, and I would prefer horizontal lines to actually appear as horizontal lines when clicked. The TinyMCE editor does that right though, so as said, not a huge concern.
A serious concern for Froala editor is that it doesn't allowed direct image posting (though TinyMCE editor still allows that. Yay? )

TinyMCE editor: As above, still missing some functionality from the old editor. But for the most part that's it.
WOuld be nice if it was dark grey/black rather than dark blue but not a huge deal. Just in general, I want to be as close to the old version as possible (though I don't mind losing the really minor stuff like Code, Special Characters, Smilies, Ordered List, Unordered List. But others might have a preference there)
image.png
Of note, the current TinyMCE editor has some redundant things.
For example, the "Format" tab? We already have Rich Text, Table, etc., available for immediate button pressing. Same With "Insert" and "View" and "Tools", etc.

I think most of those tabs could just be removed. And even with adding the missing functionality from XF1 textbox, it should still end up as only two rows of icons.

EDIT: Okay wait, the tinyMCE editor has SERIOUS issue with the that stupid popup. The one that if you right click (on desktop) or hold (on phone) it shows up as "link". I cannot copy image, or copy image url, or copy/cut via right click. I absolutely cannot 'copy image url' even on a desktop while inside, for example. This is nuts.
PLEASE remove that "link" popup.

On other things...

For mobile, PLEASE make the threads on "new posts" actually show the pages (preferably, last three pages and first page).
And speaking of which, please make "New Posts" accessible with one click on the top of the page, rather than needing to click "What's New" to get a dropdown list.

I'd like that for desktop too.

And for both, please give an option to remove the Similar Threads. It's occupying a lot of space (even just the spacebattles option to fold it up).
image.png

Compare the relatively short bottom section on spacebattles to the bloated one we have right now, with a Similar Threads chunk that can't be minized, and all that clutter at the bottom that I don't care about.

Other things...I would prefer the reader mode have 30 posts per page again.

And very importantly: PLEASE add some better colors/delineation for the Dark Mode. The text is too grey. The general non-text color is dark because dark mode, yeah. But it needs some slices of color to make the important bits more noticeable, link Links, names, etc.

As a reminder:
image.png

Needs brighter text, needs some noticeable delineation. Needs more colorful text on some important text like Likes, "New" indicator for posts, LINKS (other thread/post links, urls, etc.) usernames, etc.

Also, please stop the ribbon from the top from following me across the page. It's a huge issue on phone. That's more space I could use viewing the rest of the page.

@alethiophile question. How long does the textbox save the draft, now? Old XF1 only had like 24 hours. Which means I had to save it twice each day or else a draft might disappear. I know SB currently has longer than 24 hours (might be 48 hours, I'd done close to that time before and a draft was still around). Relatedly, the TinyMCE editor has no indication at all when it has saved or not. Having that would be really helpful.

Also is there a way to get the old interface for pictures?

Like, if you hover over an image it indicates if its larger than what's within the post size. Click it, it immediately becomes full size. Click it to make it smaller again.

The current one is clunky with how you need to click multiple times to expand it, and it seems to zoom in beyond the resolution max rather than staying at max (if I want to view even closer than the resolution I zoom in the page itself. Otherwise, i want the natural maximum).

And then you need to click the tiny fucking X on the top right to exit the picture view on XF2. It's annoying on mobile. Instead of a click on the outside non-inage portions immediately cancelling it. Or just clicking thr picture to toggle full size or not.

Last edited:
I've just spent ~3 hours copying over CSS from the blue flexile dark theme from some already open tabs. I'm mostly content with the hackjob, event if there are some problems that still need fixing.

Has anybody tried reducing the size of these buttons? When I tried, they didn't react the same to the changes, and I ended up with differently sized buttons.

Everyone has been saying what I wanted to say bar

Can the olde 'edit the threadmarks' on one page be brought back?

I haven't seen any form of that so far, though it might be early days

It makes breaking down things into easily splitable chunks for those who want to download a thread into segments rather easy for later reading

Maybe I'm an idiot but I can't figure out how to search for threads by a specific user? Before you would scroll down to the bottom of the posts tab and there would be "threads by this user" under "posts by this user," but now there's only "see more" and it only shows posts. Also the about tab used to have those as well, now totally missing.

There needs to be some color or contrasting bar separating peoples posts- or the top bar of a user's post should be that way. Stuff blends together otherwise and makes it unpleasant to navigate.
Same for quoted posts.

Likewise, Threadmarked posts (especially in creative writing) desperately need some contrasting color.

Alerts, new and old ones need a slightly different background color, so you can see which ones you've already opened/have been seen.

Hope this is fixed as themes get adjusted and new ones added. Otherwise it looks like a great upgrade, since these visual things are the main issues for me, and I haven't ran into any problems with the site itself.

I need a way to unstick the header at the top of my screen, my monitor is on the small size and it's actively interfering with my field a vision and making the site painful for me to use.

There are other issues with the site, themes and so on, but the header constantly cutting into my field of vision will kill my usage of the site if it's not addressed.

There's something wrong with the tags.

Whenever I click on them to show me threads that have the same tags it only shows me a few at best while before the update it could have hundreds of threads.

I tried to write this to an administrator, but for some weird reason the text I was writing on their profile post just kept making a copy below that one, it was difficult to post what I wrote.

There's also something weird going on with the image posting from my end.

A few months ago I had some problems with the simple Copy Image and Paste, it didn't work anymore, but I figured out that all I had to do was click Copy Image Link and Paste and it would show me the image without the link, but now that's not happening and it just has the link.

Aside from the smol logo and lack of appearance options, for now, I personally have no big outstanding issues with the update.

I'm not picky, just glad I can read stuff. :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back