• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

XF2 upgrade

>Guy: "Hey what if we do X?"
>Literally Every Mod: "We're not doing that."

>Guy: "Okay, yeah, but what if, though?"
>The Admin: "Yeah, not doing that."

>Other Users: "Kinda sounds like a bad idea tbh."

>Repeat ad infinitum

I really feel like this debate is going nowhere at all, honestly.

Though it is rather amusing that literally every post on an account is in *this* thread debating forum software. Nothing else, at all, on the site could spark interest, but XF2 exists and *bam* posts start flying. :V

>Repeat ad infinitum

Though it is rather amusing that literally every post on an account is in *this* thread debating forum software. Nothing else, at all, on the site could spark interest, but XF2 exists and *bam* posts start flying. :V

Ehh, I'm probably done with this thread, since everyone seems dead set on XF2. I agree that the argument has gone nowhere, and don't care as much anymore lol. They've heard my opinions.

It's good that they can't revoke the license willy-nilly. I hadn't read that part. However, they can still just refuse to provide updates.
And if and when that happens, we can talk about migrating to an open source alternative. Remember, we're not talking about switching to a new proprietary system; we're already on said proprietary system, and looking at updating to the current version of it.

Ehh, I'm probably done with this thread, since everyone seems dead set on XF2. I agree that the argument has gone nowhere, and don't care as much anymore lol. They've heard my opinions.
I'd be happy to discuss alternatives to XF2 if you actually provide one. Said alternative must:
  • Be actively updated and have no known major security flaws (so, not XF1)
  • Either:
    • Have all the quality-of-life features XF offers and which this forum depends on
    • Or you can give us the name of a developer willing to add those features either for free or on the sort of budget QQ can provide

I'd be happy to discuss alternatives to XF2 if you actually provide one. Said alternative must:
  • Be actively updated and have no known major security flaws (so, not XF1)
  • Either:
    • Have all the quality-of-life features XF offers and which this forum depends on
    • Or you can give us the name of a developer willing to add those features either for free or on the sort of budget QQ can provide
So I know it's not addressed to me but this made me think of something so I'll post links to one open-source alternative I actually like:
But with all the "discussion" about this:

>Repeat ad infinitum

But I see this more as a backup option because of the Merge System offered by MyBB if the XF2 upgrade doesn't pan out for whatever reason. ;)

So I know it's not addressed to me but this made me think of something so I'll post links to one open-source alternative I actually like:
Okay, so does it have all the features that we've come to expect? Threadmarks (with categorization and last-read markers), thread tagging, subforum integration? Plus all of this:
You know all the nice features people like?
- Collaborative threads
- Integrated voting and dice rolling
- Better ignoring features
- Better moderation tools (something *we* want)

Okay, so does it have all the features that we've come to expect? Threadmarks (with categorization and last-read markers), thread tagging, subforum integration? Plus all of this:
Not a clue! :)

(I'll do a local installation of it later to check because it's been a while since I've had anything to do with it. :oops:)
Edit: There are no Threadmarks and I can't find a plugin for it, I've found a plugin for tagging. About the subforum integration, sorry but I have no clue what you mean by that?
  • No collaborative thread that I can find a plugin for.
  • Yep voting is a thing, and I've found a plugin for Dice Rolls.
  • No clue about "Better ignoring features".
  • No clue about "Better moderating tools".
Thou I'll say it again to make sure my point of view is understood on this but I see this option as a backup that's extremely unlikely to happen. :V

Last edited:
Edit: There are no Threadmarks and I can't find a plugin for it, I've found a plugin for tagging.
Yeah, that's going to be a deal-breaker. I remember the days before Threadmarks, when you had to hope your favourite authors would bother to add prev/next links to their chapters, or at least a linked table-of-contents in the first post. And if they didn't, your only hope was that Kclcmdr liked the story too and indexed it for them~

About the subforum integration, sorry but I have no clue what you mean by that?
XF2 feature. On SB, Creative Writing has a dedicated subforum for Worm stuff. However, by default, that subforum is integrated with the main Creative Writing forum, so if you look at Creative Writing, you see both Worm and non-Worm stuff at once, but people who don't like Worm can turn off this integration in their settings and thus see only the non-Worm fics.

QQ's use-case is that it has been suggested to make SFW Creative Writing an integrated subforum of NSFW Creative Writing, thus eliminating the incentive for authors to post SFW fics in NSFW just because the NSFW forums get a lot more traffic, while still allowing us to make SFW Creative Writing visible to guests but require an account to view NSFW.

Yeah, that's going to be a deal-breaker. I remember the days before Threadmarks, when you had to hope your favourite authors would bother to add prev/next links to their chapters, or at least a linked table-of-contents in the first post. And if they didn't, your only hope was that Kclcmdr liked the story too and indexed it for them~

XF2 feature. On SB, Creative Writing has a dedicated subforum for Worm stuff. However, by default, that subforum is integrated with the main Creative Writing forum, so if you look at Creative Writing, you see both Worm and non-Worm stuff at once, but people who don't like Worm can turn off this integration in their settings and thus see only the non-Worm fics.

QQ's use-case is that it has been suggested to make SFW Creative Writing an integrated subforum of NSFW Creative Writing, thus eliminating the incentive for authors to post SFW fics in NSFW just because the NSFW forums get a lot more traffic, while still allowing us to make SFW Creative Writing visible to guests but require an account to view NSFW.

Oh, you mean Aggregation.

Remember that half the reason people post stuff to NSFW instead of the normal boards isn't because of the increased traffic, but because it's not just the stories themselves that have to be SFW, but the fan participation as well. A large chunk of stories that are posted on Spacebattles, where the whole board is strictly SFW, are posted in NSFW here because this allows people to post shipping omake or fanart that crosses the line. A story that's posted to NSFW, even if it doesn't have lewds of its own, is implicitly open to bringing your own.

The stories that *are* posted to SFW are those where the authors *want* to keep the fan participation clean. Which is their choice that they're very much allowed to make.

I just saw the banner, and I wanted to say that I'm glad this upgrade is finally happening. Best of luck to the staff!

Technically I think SFW would need to be the main forum and NSFW the subforum, so that guests could still view the SFW threads.

But yeah, it would be nice to be able to view both SFW and NSFW threads together via aggregation.

Oh, you mean Aggregation.

Remember that half the reason people post stuff to NSFW instead of the normal boards isn't because of the increased traffic, but because it's not just the stories themselves that have to be SFW, but the fan participation as well. A large chunk of stories that are posted on Spacebattles, where the whole board is strictly SFW, are posted in NSFW here because this allows people to post shipping omake or fanart that crosses the line. A story that's posted to NSFW, even if it doesn't have lewds of its own, is implicitly open to bringing your own.

The stories that *are* posted to SFW are those where the authors *want* to keep the fan participation clean. Which is their choice that they're very much allowed to make.
That's a good point. Maybe QQ could make the "NSFW" thread prefix optional, instead of the default for all new threads posted in NSFW forums? Then only threads which need it would use it.

Currently the "NSFW" thread prefix is a bit redundant, since it's applied to every thread in the subforum. Takes up space without adding information.

Or alternatively, create a new thread prefix ("LEWD"?) for true NSFW stories.

Well, I haven't noticed any major issues with the transition to XF2, though hopefully there is a greater variety of themes coming in the future. The current dark theme is mostly serviceable, but I'd honestly prefer a theme with a bit more of a contrast between the text and the post background. As it is, on normal posts, the text is light grey against a slightly darker grey background, which causes some minor eye strain for me compared to something like Dark Responsive (Green) in XF1.

It's especially annoying because the text is a much brighter white in the actual text box that I'm typing this post in, and if the entire site was like that in the dark theme, it would solve my problem in it's entirety. It's just a fraction away from being complaint free on my end.

Could we get the alert number thing as red on all themes like it used to be?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back