1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

A New Tournament (Harry Potter & SG:SG1)

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by killgore444, Dec 11, 2020.

1. Extras: Chapter 3 notes
    killgore444

killgore444 Versed in the lewd.

The path to Harry’s wish fulfillment so far: [in order]
    • For his girlfriend(s) to not be (a) witch(es).
    • Step 1 of get Ron back as a friend.
    • Step 1 of getting respect and fear from people.
    • Steps 1, 2 and 3 of acquiringskill and power.
    • A way to get to know his parents.
    I had to change several things from the source material from where I got the magic items as the owner of one of them, the owner of Palladium books, is really big about no one converting his stuff into other settings. So I had to change it enough to ‘Be inspired by’ instead of straight from. The owner doesn’t mind fanfiction, just doesn’t like it when his stuff is mixed with other settings. And I really don’t think he even cares if you mix in stories, as there are several Rifts crossovers out there, but I’m going somewhat beyond simply throwing someone into one of their worlds. I’m actually translating game stats into a working and understandable magic item. Thus, as I stated I heavily modified it. Not the least of which was changing most of the names as well as some of the basic mechanics.

And before anyone goes nuts and says that there is no way those glasses would ever be allowed in a game, not only were they, I was actually laughed at for taking the respective super powers for my ‘Magic Item’ based character because everyone thought they where pointless powers. That is until the GM realized that I could learn actual spell casting style magic. :p

It’s why, over a decade later, when playing that ‘what if’ game I mentioned in chapter 1, I chose these glasses as one of the items. The other was of course, The How To book from GURPS magic items. No one ever takes that book seriously in it’s native system because game mechanics don’t allow easy exploits the way other systems or settings do.

Another note; I mention the number a thousand several times throughout the early chapters for his memory retention. That's not quite accurate. The number is thousands, as in plural. This is based on the users normal memory retention, times ten for the basic level, times a hundred for the very good level, and times a thousand for the near perfect level.
    In D&D terms, you multiply the above number by your Intelligence bonus plus one to get the number of hours of study for each actual hour. So Draco, Harry and Ron, who would all be about fourteen or fifteen on Int would multiply their study time by thirty, three hundred or three thousand. Hermione would be notably higher. Someone with no bonuses would use the base multiples, and someone with a penalty would increase the penalty by one and divide the base by that amount.
    Just remember, you are only studying what you're actually reading (except for languages) though. So studying a cookbook just gives you the individual recipes. Not the cooking skill. At least not without other magic.

2. Extras: Chapter 4: Notes
    killgore444

The path to Harry’s wish fulfillment chapter 4: [in order]
    • Part 2 of get to know his parents
    • Steps 4, 5, and 6 of acquiring skill and power.

The spells ‘Kage Bunshin no Jutsu’ and ‘Taju Kage Bunshin no Jutsu’ can be found in the story ‘Larceny, Lechery, and Luna Lovegood!’ chapter 23 Omake 5, by 'Rorschach's Blot'. And I told you this wasn’t a super serious fic. And yes, I'm aware it was taken from another source, but I don't have that source.
    The ‘Ignotus’ and ‘Dolus’ charms can be found in the story ‘Make a Wish’ chapter 2, also by 'Rorschach's Blot'.
    ‘Protego Ignis’ can be found in Innocent chapter 23 and ‘Melumen’ in Intensity chapter 6, both by Marauderlover7
    Cannoventus’ can be found in the story The Merging, chapter 18 by Shaydrall.
    Abb Unos Discis Omnet’ and ‘Sunplena’ are my own creation. As is the Brilo and Sanctu-Castu modifications which are explained in chapter 3.

As you might have guessed, the last section with the various properties was a spoof of all the fics out there that have Harry find out he has a dozen large mansions and is super wealthy, so he has to ditch the Weasleys as being useless to his goals and invite all of his new Slytherin friends who can actually help him to lavish parties where he shows off his incredible knowledge of gourmet meals. :( Thhhhpt!

Don't worry though, Harry will get his rather awesome house. Just not for a couple of chapters.

3. Extras: Chapter 5: notes
    killgore444

Chapter 5 was the last one I've already posted on FFN.So after this one, I'm much more likely to respond to grammar advise and spelling corrections. But please understand, I'm not a grammarian, it's been close to four decades since I learned grammar, and was only average even then. If spending an hour looking up grammar rules gets in the way of the fun of writing a decent story that's readable, but not perfect, I'm going to skip and not worry about. I can correct it afterwards here, and post the final on FFN afterwards.

From here on, I'll be posting here on QQ first. So I'm hoping for some commentary to keep me interested/motivated. Let me know what you think of the story arc and my world building. Unlike on FFN, I can actually respond to comments without putting 'review responses' in the author note's.

Harry is mistaken in how Felix Felicis works. The thoughts he’s ‘hearing’ are his own subconscious. The potion is in no way sentient.

Harry is also waxing poetic when he describes the girls. All 3 are above average in appearance and are in fact models. They are NOT however the goddess like beauties he attributes to them. He has just seen them naked however. To the average 14 year old boy, that would make Millicent Bulstrode look ‘surprisingly pretty.’ So while all three have what it takes to be models, they’ll never be major names based on looks alone.

Also, ‘sectoral heterochromia’ is a real thing, her description is based on someone I once knew (all 3 of them actually).

The path to Harry’s wish fulfillment chapter 5: [in order]
    • Step 3 of get to know his parents (and family in general.
    • Step 2 and 3 of getting respect and fear from people.
    • Step 1, 2 and 3 of wealth.
    • Step 1 and 2 of political power.
    • Step 1 and 2 of getting 1 of the 2 people responsible for his entry in the tournament dead.
    • Step 1 of getting the second of the 2 people responsible for his entry in the tournament permanently dead.
    • Steps 1 and 2 of girlfriend(s).

Madam Walpole’s and her Banshee assistant Keira can be found in chapter 32 of the story Innocent by Marauderlover7. In addition to several other books, Harry also purchased the same 2 he and Sirius did in that story. In fact, almost all the books mentioned in that story are now owned by Harry (Marauderlover7 is much better at coming up with book titles and spells in general than any other HP fic writer I’ve seen here, so I’m cribbing as much as he’ll allow). Except of course the ones that have personal notations written in them.

The book Memories Unbound can be found in the story ‘Backward With Purpose Part I Always and Always’ by deadwoodpecker in chapter 1, although it gets more attention in other chapters as well as the second story in the series. Two incredibly well written stories that I highly recommend.

By the way, the house in chapter 4 with the poor muggle family living in it is a cannon location from the Harry Potter books. I’m kind of curious if anyone can guess what it is.

To my understanding, the cost for supplies per school year below runs pretty close the cost for supplies per year at most private/boarding schools that require the parents to pay for uniforms and books. At least if you’re buying NEW supplies rather than used or hand-me-downs. And that’s before you get into tuition and room and board.

Schools which lend out books, or don’t require a set uniform beyond a simple dress code run much cheaper of course. If for no other reason than schools that require a student or parents to pay for books generally require books that are of higher quality than a public school. Or are written by the teacher in question so he can grab a little extra cash.

And five pounds sterling per galleon just seems way to low for a gold coin.

The following is a responce to several reviews I recieved on FFN complaining about my view of Slytherian. A view that is not even accurate to what I actually think. To get a good idea of what I think most pure bloods go through growing up, and forming their opionons, read Innocent. It's as close to what I've always thought as you can get without mind reading. Anyway, the responce:
    Like I said in chapter 1, I use ONLY the 7 main books as cannon. That’s it. I do not know where the nonsense that Merlin, whose story in real life, if he existed in any way, dates to the 3rd, 4th or 5th centuries, being in Hogwarts came from.

In canon in fact, there isn’t any more proof provided that he was an actual real person than there is in the real world. He’s used by all magical people in the same way we use a god. That would never have occurred if he had a known, provable, place in the socioeconomic society. I.E., someone like Ron would never have held him in any sort of high regard anymore than someone like Malfoy would hold Godric Gryffindor, it’s not like the magical world is exempt from ‘Selection Bias’ or anything.

Here in the States, you’ll never find someone saying something like “Lincolns saggy balls” or “Washington!” The few examples you do occasionally find are all fictional characters from folklore; Paul Bunyon, Pecos Bill and his Wife Slue Foot Sue, Lady Liberty or Sally Ann Thunder. Very rarely will you hear something about a real person who’s deeds are so exaggerated or mixed with others such as Johnny Appleseed, John Henry and Mike Fink. A good comparison to make is Santa Claus, Saint Nicholas. The actual stories are built on the foundations of 3 or 4 different people, then expanded and exaggerated, or as in the case of Mike Fink, out right lies. I highly doubt people from England are different than Americans in that regard. Besides, of the people named in cannon on the chocolate frog cards, the only 2 who don’t predate Hogwarts are Dumbledore and Flamel (who didn’t attend Hogwarts). So I don’t understand the obsessive need to place everyone from a card into a house.

But unlike other stories, this one is a SHARED universe. And unlike the Harry Potter series, where Merlin is a mythological entity, in Stargate, he is cannon. The characters from SG:SG1 interact with him, Jackson is possessed by him. In cannon, Merlin wasn’t even a real wizard, he just used super science to fool people. And even if he had possessed magic, he descended from the energy plains as an adult (not school age). And YES, that was a plot point from the beginning. The 4 great races all have parts to be described yet. Heck, I’ll even let you let you in on a Spoiler:
    a couple of those books in chapter 2 were written by Merlin. And several other people mentioned in Fannon as being on a card are actually Go’uld, and 1 witch in cannon is actually an Asgardian
    I’ve never said he was a Gryffindor! Besides, none of you guys have ever been able to site a reference in cannon. Hell, I’ve never seen anyone who can show how any of the Slytherins in the books who get a good description actually meet the criteria the Sorting Hat sings about. Crabbe and Goyle sure the hell didn’t match.

4. Extras: Chap 7 notes
    killgore444

The path to Harry’s wish fulfillment chapter :
    Getting Ron back as a friend! Complete.
    Proving he wasn’t some stupid schmuck to be pushed around! Complete.

Step 1 of getting undeniable proof that he didn’t enter himself in the tournament!
    Step 2 of getting whoever did enter him DEAD!
    Step 13 and 14 of acquiring the skill and power to WIN!
    Steps 9 thru 15 of getting enough respect and fear from people!
    Step 5 of gaining political power.

‘Yam Securitas’, ‘Felidia’, ‘Cerise Protego’, ‘Engorgio Incendio’, ‘Finite Miscugliem’ and ‘Finite Invocazionum’ are all my own inventions, even if both protego and incendio are cannon spells.

‘Ex nihilo’ is the incantation I made up for the cannon spell Dumbledore uses to conjure stuff from nothing.

‘Alchemyst’ is a spell I’m less sure of. I’ve seen three different HP stories have something similar, (A)D&D, both 2nd, 3rd also had spells that did something similar (and that’s were I THINK the incantation came from), as did PFrpg and MtA.

Pretoria: from Backward-With-Purpose-Part-I-Always-and-Always chap 38
    Inobservatus chapter 39 of Seasons-of-change
    Acer Gelu is from Larceny, Lechery, and Luna Lovegood! chapter 61
    Scindo from chap 13 of Kicking-Gotham
    Densissima from chap 58 of Intensity
    Avea Apara from Intensity chap 7
    Agni Incaendium from I-Still-Haven-t-Found-What-I-m-Looking-For chapter 12
    Acme from Make-A-Wish chapter 38

Thank you Aleh for you help. Honestly, your going over and pointing out my mistakes in grammar/spelling is the reason I post here before posting on FFN. Once I post there, I don't like to do edits. It's why I ignored stuff from chapters I already posted.
    So, what does everyone think about part 3 of chap 7? Or just the chapter in general?

I'm hoping this puts paid on the idea that I'm following the story without deviation despite Dobby and Harry altering everything. Some things will follow cannon religiously simply because they were set up before the story divergence. For all that people complain when a story has the same tasks as the book, that shit was set up before the school year even started, they just had to get an extra dragon when Harry was added. Although he's going to handle them differently. If nothing else, fake Moody isn't around to offer advise anymore.

That having been said, the actions they have taken HAVE had major impacts on how others have acted. Dumbledore and Madam Bones are actually working together and Dumbledore is no longer worried that she's just a stooge for Fudge (he was the one who appointed her after all). Bones is no longer worried that he's just a senile old man who needs to be removed, though she IS still worried about his mental health, it's more worried about stress. She's also starting to think outside the box.

Dobby and Winky have got a whole bunch of irons in the fire. They tricked Crouch and Voldemort into revealing themselves when they were weak and the good guys were strong. And in the Christmas spirit, Dobby's got himself a list of who's naughty and nice, and isn't the least bit scared to check people off the first list. Of course, one wonders why his notes said he should explain to Skeeter WHY he was killing her before he did so.

Hermione's ordeal will be explained next chapter.

This is the point where I planned to have Harry seriously reconsider his desire to stay at Hogwarts and in England. So while I do in fact intend for him to remain British, he is going to be waffling a bit. After all, he's got three really good reasons to move to America right now (and a lot of good reasons to want to leave). Of course, he's still bound to the tournament, so Dumbledore has till the end of the year to convince him to stay. Harry also still has a pocket full of dead basilisks.

Ron is in trouble. He's always been at the edges of Harry's adventures up to now. And while violence hasn't actually been that rare, deadly violence has only been used by him against giant spiders up till now. Now he's killed his fellow human beings and has to deal with that emotionally (and legally). While most of the people he killed were in the heat of battle, Crabbe was a flat out murder of a prisoner who had surrendered. Murder that took place in front of his sister and brothers, a quarter of the students (EVERYONE in Gryffindor), his head of house and the Deputy Headmistress and a member of the Ghost Council. A free PoV to the first person to guess how I intend to Try and get Ron off that legally.

Ginny, Fred and George are suddenly looking at their younger brother and his friends in a whole new light. While their epiphany started in chapter two, this chapter sent it spiraling. The twins especially are dealing with the realization that if it came to a straight up fight, Ron would likely wipe the floor with them. All three of them are now wondering how much of that resentment Harry brought up in chapter two is going to turn into aggression from Ron now.

The rest of the students just got a (not so)pretty good look into the Trio's adventures. The younger girls especially need only look at Hermione to now understand what standing next to Harry might cost them, and why being the 'Damsel in Distress' for their hero, Harry, to rescue is probably a REALLY DUMB thing to wish for. Plus a lot of them have to now figure out how to get blood and entrails out of their clothes (that's a student chore since House Elves don't touch clothes). Oh, everyone in Gryffindor can now see Thestrals.

Professor McGonagall has just had the same realizations as everyone else, but has the added burden of arranging mind healers for her entire house and wondering if she needs to start protecting her students FROM the Trio as well. Combined with what Hermione told her (when she told her off), McGonagall is wondering if she really just failed them.

Next chapter is mostly going to be repercussions and more world building.

BtW, what do you all think of my world building? That is the other major reason I post here. I may regret this, but I actually want to know what you think about things like what Nick and the Bloody Baron did. About how I set up things with House Elves and the law, and the Department of Mysteries. Things like that.
    killgore444

“If you're calling reality a hateful, cruel, and jealous place... then I cannot honestly refute your statement.”

"Don't try to understand women. Women understand women, and they tend to hate each other.”

“I think I finally get why girls are said to be catlike; it’s got nothing to do with grace, but how their similar thieving opportunism keeps trying to make off with your stuff when you aren’t looking.”​