• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Amelia, Worm AU [Complete]

Well of course, but in the same breathe they admitted that they were exempt. There's one thing about telling everyone to put on a fake smile and pretend to be more chaste than a bible gurgling church girl, and entirely another in actually putting restrictions on their private lives.

This is the problem with child soldiers. Given adult responsibility, not considered responsible enough to act like adults.

Director Dunn continues to be kind of a bitch. Oh well, it's not like there isn't precedent for it.

Good parts. Still very impressed with your writing speed, BTW, especially in light of the quality you're showing us.

Director Dunn continues to be kind of a bitch. Oh well, it's not like there isn't precedent for it.
Honestly, the amount of directors in Worm that lack the interpersonal savvy that one would expect from people in such high public position is staggering... At least compared to the amount that do have it, but don't get screen time.

I suppose it is just a reflection of Wildbow's embittered view of authority figures.

There's always a Piggot.
Think she might have died by now, after Grue talked to her, because she wasn't looking so hot.

I suppose it is just a reflection of Wildbow's embittered view of authority figures.
I consider it to be semi-reasonable.

"Hey guys, I've got a job for you: You know all these dudes who can bench-press cars, shoot lighting from their hands, twist your mind, and build fantastical devices of mayhem and destruction? I want you to control them."

"What?"

"No, you won't be getting superpowers yourself. They'll always be more capable then you."

"No, you'll have a pretty restricted budget."

"No, you've got to make them look friendly, no matter what they can do."

"Oh, did I mention they're all mentally fucked? Yeah, turns out that when a bunch of kids go through incredibly traumatic experiences to the point that everyone knows not to ask or talk about them, it doesn't leave them in the best headspace. Don't worry though, we're cutting costs with therapy as well!"

Seriously, would you be happy to work in that sort of situation? Do you really think you wouldn't be constantly stressed out?

I consider it to be semi-reasonable.

"Hey guys, I've got a job for you: You know all these dudes who can bench-press cars, shoot lighting from their hands, twist your mind, and build fantastical devices of mayhem and destruction? I want you to control them."

"What?"

"No, you won't be getting superpowers yourself. They'll always be more capable then you."

"No, you'll have a pretty restricted budget."

"No, you've got to make them look friendly, no matter what they can do."

"Oh, did I mention they're all mentally fucked? Yeah, turns out that when a bunch of kids go through incredibly traumatic experiences to the point that everyone knows not to ask or talk about them, it doesn't leave them in the best headspace. Don't worry though, we're cutting costs with therapy as well!"

Seriously, would you be happy to work in that sort of situation? Do you really think you wouldn't be constantly stressed out?
Yeah, when looking at it as an isolated thing, it makes sense, but when taken with all the other examples of authority figures being festering assholes...

Honestly, the amount of directors in Worm that lack the interpersonal savvy that one would expect from people in such high public position is staggering... At least compared to the amount that do have it, but don't get screen time.

At least some of that you could probably handwave as being a necessary part of Cauldron's plans. On the other hand, there's another possible explanation too - The PRT, as I understand it, is essentially meant to employ, police, and control Parahumans. The more stick-up-their-asses type members of the government would likely want people who aren't going to allow the Capes to do what they want, instead wanting people who will make the Capes do exactly what they say exactly when they say it. Even if, maybe especially if, what those hardasses want is exactly the wrong thing to do.

At least some of that you could probably handwave as being a necessary part of Cauldron's plans. On the other hand, there's another possible explanation too - The PRT, as I understand it, is essentially meant to employ, police, and control Parahumans. The more stick-up-their-asses type members of the government would likely want people who aren't going to allow the Capes to do what they want, instead wanting people who will make the Capes do exactly what they say exactly when they say it. Even if, maybe especially if, what those hardasses want is exactly the wrong thing to do.
You're talking Watsonian while I'm talking Doylist. Just about anything in Worm can be justified in the Watsonian perspective if you throw "Cauldron Plan" in and slap the Contessa sticker on it.

I'm really not liking Victoria's interactions with Chevalier. Don't misunderstand, they're written well, and they fit her character as far as I can tell. I just don't personally like her actions and attitude.
Yeah, I personally don't really care for Victoria either - she's as much a harpy as Dunn shown here. She's been given a decent enough power that she's become an essential part of the story, but it doesn't mean that her actions have become any more endearing. She still has never owned up to the mind rape she subjected her entire family to during her early lives anyway, and the story has already moved on enough that it'll be awkward to bring that in. That Victoria is willing to pursue romantic interests like this when she violated the very foundations of her sister's sexuality is... quite telling of the ugly nature of her character. Chevalier, one of the more stand up heroes in the story, being subjected to the ham-handed advances is just the cherry on top... I look forward to the end of this particular twist.

Yeah, I personally don't really care for Victoria either - she's as much a harpy as Dunn shown here. She's been given a decent enough power that she's become an essential part of the story, but it doesn't mean that her actions have become any more endearing. She still has never owned up to the mind rape she subjected her entire family to during her early lives anyway, and the story has already moved on enough that it'll be awkward to bring that in. That Victoria is willing to pursue romantic interests like this when she violated the very foundations of her sister's sexuality is... quite telling of the ugly nature of her character. Chevalier, one of the more stand up heroes in the story, being subjected to the ham-handed advances is just the cherry on top... I look forward to the end of this particular twist.
She had no control of that though. Could you explain further? I don't understand why she has to 'own up' to something she didn't even know she was doing.

She still has never owned up to the mind rape she subjected her entire family to during her early lives anyway, and the story has already moved on enough that it'll be awkward to bring that in. That Victoria is willing to pursue romantic interests like this when she violated the very foundations of her sister's sexuality is... quite telling of the ugly nature of her character.
Jesus shitting dicknipples Christ.

It's not her fault. Say it with me. It's not her fault. Slow mo it. Iiitttsss nooot heeeerr ffaaauulllt.

Breathe in. Hold it. Little longer. Liiitttle longer. Now exhale. Now that you've done that, apologize to the human race for contributing a tiny bit of greenhouse gasses. Or the next time someone sees you, apologize for the way light is reflecting off you and into their eyes without their consent.

This is the absurd levels you have reached. You are tarring a character with the rapist brush because of something they cannot control and were not aware of.

Victoria is not Heartbreaker, who gained a power and chose to enslave countless women. Victoria is not Valefor, who gained a power and compelled people to do hideous acts. She gained a power that didn't have an off switch, and as far as anyone knew, didn't have any long term effects.

Last edited:
I'm really not liking Victoria's interactions with Chevalier. Don't misunderstand, they're written well, and they fit her character as far as I can tell. I just don't personally like her actions and attitude.

I agree. It seems Like Victoria is really pushing herself on him, when he's not quite sure how to react to her advances. It seems like she's rushing into this relationship skipping the more emotional parts of it because she knows they're attracted to one another.

This is the absurd levels you have reached. You are tarring a character with the rapist brush because of something they cannot control and were not aware off.
Lol, it's funny how you deliberately misquote me with the intention of focusing on the defensible parts, because really, there is no defense for Victoria's current attitude towards Chevalier. It is a mere continuation of the rapist attitude she/her power had (unknowingly or not) during her previous life, and should horrify anyone that remembered what her family had suffered through just a short while ago.

Lol, it's funny how you deliberately misquote me with the intention of focusing on the defensible parts, because really, there is no defense for Victoria's current attitude towards Chevalier. It is a mere continuation of the rapist attitude she/her power had (unknowingly or not) during her previous life, and should horrify anyone that remembered what her family had suffered through just a short while ago.
I personally think it's kind of cute. She's having to work at getting his attention, and he's giving her some lessons in being an adult at the same time. (Yeah, I think he's a good influence on her).

In other news: Chevalier's middle name is actually Michael (it comes up once, used as his password for something).

Also, typo:
Dunn asked. "Cutting her through
Quotation mark needing to be added.

I quoted the part of your message I wanted to address. The parts I didn't quote are your opinion, and you are entirely welcome to have it. The part I did quote was me addressing the fundamental misunderstanding you have on the nature of consent and the character of Victoria as she features in both Worm, and Amelia.

I liked Raisamike3 's post after yours because it's a more nuanced criticism of her interactions that doesn't come from the given that Victoria is a rapist, where as your post is basically "VICTIM BLAMING *foams at mouth* RAPIST *flails about* Evil Vicky must atone, raaawrr!"

I quoted the part of your message I wanted to address. The parts I didn't quote are your opinion, and you are entirely welcome to have it. The part I did quote was me addressing the fundamental misunderstanding you have on the nature of consent and the character of Victoria as she features in both Worm, and Amelia.

I liked Raisamike3 's post after yours because it's a more nuanced criticism of her interactions that doesn't come from the given that Victoria is a rapist, where as your post is basically "VICTIM BLAMING *foams at mouth* RAPIST *flails about* Evil Vicky must atone, raaawrr!"
Actually, to be precise, Vicky is almost the exact opposite of a rapist.

She got her 'victim' all hot and bothered, and then ... did nothing.

What happened in canon ... happened to her. Because of her own power.

She got her 'victim' all hot and bothered, and then ... did nothing.
There's a word for people like that. Several words.

Flirt. Tease. Incorrigible.
Deadpan delivery end.

Have you considered that she flirts specifically with Chevalier because he will tell her: "No"?

Victoria has told others that she does NOT want a relationship, at least not until she can come to terms with what she did to everyone. That is the reason she threw Zack and Emma together, she is to terrified for something serious. She is also worried about the fact that she and Dean only fought over the phone, never face to face (and the implications). However, she enjoys flirting, that is part of her personality. Enter Chevalier, he is cute, enjoys the view and will tell her "no". Chevalier is safe; she can flirt with him but not worry about a serious relationship. Even more important, every time he rejects her advances to her face she knows she is not mind-rapping him. She get double points from flirting (and being rejected) by Chevalier: she can feel sexy and reassured of not-mastering someone. It is immature and annoying, but then, Victoria is a teenager who unintentional mind-raped her loved ones. Her flirting is wrong (and annoying, and probably not healthy), she is a harpy with Dunn, but characters don't need to be perfect.

I hope she grows up, and becomes a better person.

His surname wouldn't happen to be Carpenter, would it?
*Has to look up the reference*

Oh.

Not a fan.

Good parts. Still very impressed with your writing speed, BTW, especially in light of the quality you're showing us.
Bow before me, bitches!

In other news: Chevalier's middle name is actually Michael (it comes up once, used as his password for something).
Really? Fother Mucker. The dice have deemed his new name 'Nelson'.

I personally think it's kind of cute. She's having to work at getting his attention, and he's giving her some lessons in being an adult at the same time. (Yeah, I think he's a good influence on her).
Chevalier's a good influence on everyone.

Have you considered that she flirts specifically with Chevalier because he will tell her: "No"?
I love it when people read into the character nuances.

*Has to look up the reference*

Oh.

Not a fan.
That's okay, too.
God damn it, Ack! Look what you've done. Nelson. He really did get a name commensurate to Deborah.
Dunn was angling for legitimate dirt on Vicky,what her is motive do something like that, professional,political or personal?
[wildbow]Yes.[/wildbow]

A/N- Chevy gets a chapter. And a randomly rolled name.
I like it. Did you roll on a table of angel names?
Nooo! I like Archangel Chevalier!

Hey, what's wrong with Chevalier using his middle name by preference? That's the preference of my brother and my sister.
... oh, that's okay then.

/adventures in catching up

I really don't want to get involved in this argument I seem to have sparked... But it's the internet!
It's not her fault. Say it with me. It's not her fault. Slow mo it. Iiitttsss nooot heeeerr ffaaauulllt.
Ehhh, it is. Not even 'kind of' is. You mention that she can't turn her power off, but she can. She can suppress it completely, or at least tune it down to the point that it's not noticeable. She just doesn't care enough to keep it down. She's the source of the aura, the only one in control of the aura, and willingly allowing it to do whatever she makes it feel like it should do, whether that be 'love me!' or 'fear me!'. That leaves her at fault.

She might not be the only one to blame for this, when you factor in the lack of control her parents/relatives tried to get her to have along with placing some of the blame onto shard conflict generation/mindfucks/whatever, but she is definitely at fault for it. You can even blame Amy for it, slightly, since she never brought it up (which is kind of understandable, but still leaves it as an unsolved problem).

You're definitely right that the way she used her aura was not actively malicious though (at least not towards those she considered friends or family).

I believe most people consider it mind rape, more than regular rape? I mean, that's always how I looked at the various arguments, the unwanted and forced modification of someone's thoughts/feelings/sexual orientation. Are there people actually claiming she did otherwise?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back