1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Cooking Thread~ Recipes & Things

Discussion in 'General' started by Biigoh, May 1, 2013.

1. MadGreenSon

MadGreenSon Verified Devil Tiger, The Childish Yandere

S'funny. where I live beef and pork are most around the same price barring the best cuts of beef and chicken tends to be slightly more expensive on average.

wanara009 likes this.
  2. Threadmarks: Fun Cooking Channel - Youtube
    rx915

rx915 Experienced.

Just wanted to share this channel. This dude is like a character from a cooking anime come to life.

Venyr4434, kinglugia, Biigoh and 4 others like this.
  3. TheFabulousCustodes

TheFabulousCustodes Versed in the lewd.

This guy seems like the Mr. Beast of cooking.

4. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

He knows how to present his cooking in the thumbnails for the best eye catching ones.

5. Threadmarks: Meal Prep Breakfast Burritos - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

6. Threadmarks: Tasting History - Youtube
    Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

7. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Can confirm, Max Miller's videos are fun.

Evillevi and Biigoh like this.
  8. MadGreenSon

Very much so. I still want to make the Ancient Babylonian dish he made.

kinglugia likes this.
  9. Threadmarks: KFC fried chicken at home - YouTube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

KFC fried chicken at home:

10. Mistodon

Mistodon Invading the city of Alexandria

So I recently received two cases of buldak bokkeum myun, ate one pack and felt like I was going to die. Seeing as I'm stuck with nine more packs and I sure as hell won't be adding in the spicy sauce packet in again, I'm gonna have to make a substitution. I've got soy sauce and oyster sauce so I guess I'll just make a poor man's yakisoba.

Been a while since I made any, and back then I also had ketchup and worcestershire sauce, but I'm not sure I want buy those just for nine packs of noodles. Same goes for other ingredients, though back then it was just fishcake, onions, and enoki mushrooms. Mostly because I could buy those for cheap.

I'd make yakisoba from one pack of instant noodles, then I'd put it into tupperware and take out small portions to eat as a side dish with my rice, along with frozen meatballs (also cheap), tamagoyaki, kimchi, and seaweed miso soup. One batch of yakisoba would make for at least seven servings, same goes for tamagoyaki.

And besides curry, ramen, or anything else, that was pretty much my diet for most of 2021.

Biigoh, Ilikebob and kinglugia like this.
  11. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Will you be keeping the sauce pocket for hot pot or hot sauce?

Biigoh likes this.
  12. Mistodon

Mistodon Invading the city of Alexandria

I don't know if adding in a little bit of it instead of the entire packet to noodles or anything else would still be too much for me, so I'm probably going to either throw them away or just keep them around while trying to forget that they exist. Expiration date's until March anyway.

Biigoh and kinglugia like this.
  13. Highlord

Highlord Versed in the lewd.

Breakfast today was a big hit. Looking around the kitchen, I decided to go oldschool. First, I mixed up some corn bread, tossed it in the big cast iron, and baked it up while preparing everything else.

Seared some pork shops in another cast iron, covered them with black pepper and melted honey, then covered the pan for about 15 minites, then removed the lid, flipped the chops, and added the glaze before covering again for another 15 minutes. In that time I sliced up some red pears and drizzled them with the last of the glaze before heating them up a bit.

All of this I did over the fire ring on the patio, since gas is currently off to the neighborhood due to repairs. Whole meal was a big hit with everyone.

EDIT: I had a couple spoonfuls of the honey/pepper mixture and decided to experiment by stirring it into a cup of fresh black coffee. I think I have a new favorite flavor profile.

As a note, if anyone wants to try this, I use unfiltered wildflower honey. It's taste is more floral and less sugary than clover honey.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2022
    Mistodon, wasprider, Evillevi and 5 others like this.
  14. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Biigoh, Evillevi and Highlord like this.
  15. Threadmarks: Brisket Smoked Mac & Cheese - YouTube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

16. Biigoh

Korean hot sauces are hot.

You could also get some miso paste to mix into the noodles for soup.

Sydonai, Mistodon and kinglugia like this.
  17. Threadmarks: Takeshi Takeshima's Kiwami-meshi - Youtube
    Biigoh

This guy has full Way of the House Husband / Yakuza energy.

https://www.youtube.com/c/kiwamimeshi

His recipes are fun and easy to follow along, also the way he narrates... yeah...

Check out his sinfully good fresh tomato shrimp chilli

Or his Midnight Udon....

wasprider, vyor, Sydonai and 5 others like this.
  18. Threadmarks: The Moist Maker 2.0 - Youtube
    Biigoh

19. Threadmarks: The Best Pasta I've Ever Made - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

20. Threadmarks: Lemon-Lime Bitters - Wanara009
    wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

So, I took a bar course so I can get RSA. One of the drink I learn how to make is the Lemon-Lime Bitters. Apparently the National Drink of Australia alongside Carlton Draught.

Typically, LLB is made with lime cordial (which I found out when I got to work). However, my teacher prefers the muddle method.

For LLB in an old-fashioned, you'll need:

4 dash of Angostura Bitters
    4 wedges of lime
    Ice
    Lemonade

Put the 4 wedge of lime into the glass, then muddle (i.e.: with a wooden muddler, mash the wedge to release the juice). Then put ice, then lemonade. Garnish with lime wheel.

I made a muddled LLB for a customer because my workplace ran out of lime cordial. Said customer said that it's lot less sweet, but 'fresher' compared the version using lime cordial.

wasprider, Biigoh, Scribe32 and 3 others like this.
  21. Threadmarks: How to Eat Noodles Every Day for the Rest of Your Life - Youtube
    Biigoh

22. Threadmarks: Boris Budget Cooking - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

23. Biigoh

An old video...

Ilikebob, Sydonai and QQmember2021 like this.
  24. Threadmarks: Curry Roux? - Wanara009
    wanara009

wanara009 (Soon-to-Be) Monkey God

Curry Roux is the best goddamned thing since sliced bread. Easiest way to prepare food for a working single dude and certainly more up my alley taste-wise compared to instant ramen and pastas.

My favourite modification is to replace water with strong black tea and adding a pinch of coffee grounds and a teaspoon of chopped ginger.

Biigoh likes this.
  25. Threadmarks: Meal Prep Tacos - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

26. Threadmarks: Thalex's "Curry" Recipe - Thalex
    Thalex

Thalex Not too sore, are you?

I just stumbled on this thread and thought I should add a curry recipe that I recently wrote down for the first time when a friend asked me about it. Although I have spent a little bit touching it up slightly. Still definitely not up to proper recipe standards though.

I cook this fairly frequently for my family, and it feeds at least 6, with plenty of leftovers. Might wanna scale down a bit if cooking for less people and you don't want to be eating curry for the foreseeable future. ;p

Thalex's "Curry" Recipe

---

Ingredients:

3-6 Potatoes (Depending on size; preferably Russets, Reds, or Yukon Golds.)

5-8 Carrots (Depending on size)

1 Bag of Frozen Peas

Meat of Choice (I usually just use a can of beef or chicken, but sometimes use fresh, frozen, or no meat at all.)

(The exact amounts for the above don't matter too much; it really depends on how much sauce to other stuff ratio you want and what is on hand. Use more if you want a thicker sauce, use less if you want it thinner or are running low on something.)

1 TBS Salt

1 TBS Pepper

1 TBS Cumin (I add a little extra when using beef)

1 TBS Paprika

1-2 TBS Garlic Powder (Can use fresh crushed garlic if on hand and not being lazy)

1-2 TBS Onion Powder (Can use fresh diced onion if on hand and not being lazy)

1-3 TBS Curry Powder (Can substitute Turmeric if you don't have, but definitely go on the lower end if using pure Turmeric though. Otherwise it would probably not be optimal.)

1/8 Teaspoon of Ginger Powder

1/8 to 1 Teaspoon Habanero Pepper Powder (Ghost Pepper and Cayenne also work but taste worse IMO. Amount can vary significantly depending on spice tolerance and what is used; I have done as much as a tablespoon of Ghost Pepper before, but I was the only one who liked it. There was much curry in my future that week.)

Chicken bullion (optional)

About 30 ounces Tomato Sauce
    About 30 ounces Coconut Milk

---
    "Instructions"-

Slice up the potatoes and carrots into small pieces after washing and peeling, and steam them with a cup or two of water, preferably in an Insta-pot with a steamer insert, and with the carrots below the potatoes, for about 8 minutes. You can sprinkle a bit of chicken bullion on top if using potatoes.

If using small red potatoes, I will sometimes leave the skins on as they are pretty thin and tasty.

Mix the spices, tomato sauce, and coconut milk together in a blender or by hand. Blender is much easier.

Get a big enough pot to hold everything at once, and then saute the peas for a little bit in oil before adding the meat. Could also go other way around if using raw meat and/or fresh peas instead of frozen.

After peas and meat are sufficiently cooked/defrosted for your liking, add the sauce, mix together, and heat on low-ish until the other veggies are done steaming.

Add the steamed vegetables and optionally some of the leftover water from the steaming process if the curry looks too thick.

Mix it all together and continue to heat on low until it is combined and sufficiently hot for your liking.

I usually just go until the rice is ready with the way I time things.

I would probably would do about 4-6 cups of rice for the amount of curry this makes. I use Basamati personally, as I quite like it.

I will assume you know how to cook rice, and if not there are several other examples of how to do so in this thread.

I will say that if you have a second Insta-pot then it can work very well for cooking the rice at the same time as you are steaming the carrots and potatoes in the other. Otherwise a rice cooker and a normal pot, or two normal pots, or any other combination of the three above cooking implements may work for you.

Also, for reheating leftovers I usually just mix the curry sauce and the rice together in roughly equal measure, and then put it in a lidded pan with a little extra water. Sometimes a bit of extra salt and pepper as well. Turn it to medium heat and then steam it while stirring occasionally to keep it from sticking too bad.

Now, back to my actual writing instead of procrastinating down here. ;p

27. Thalex

Thalex Not too sore, are you?

This is only vaguely related, but I had a bit of a WTF moment when walking around the store recently. Namely, I was going through the meats section when I noticed that Lamb was just over half the price of beef.

Like, I had always thought of Lamb as being a fancier luxury meat, and thus had it placed on this pedestal in my head where I assumed it must be a lot more expensive, partially because it pretty much always is whenever I go to a restaurant that offers it.

In hindsight it kind of makes sense though, I guess, given I live right next to the Rockies. Still.

kinglugia and MadGreenSon like this.
  28. MadGreenSon

Regional variance is a thing.

Where I live now all kinds of fresh seafood is dirt cheap, for instance. Gotta love the Gulf Coast for that.

kinglugia and Thalex like this.
  29. Threadmarks: Chilli Chantelle Mushroom thing - Youtube
    QQmember2021

QQmember2021 Well worn.

30. Amazon Climber

Amazon Climber Wholesomely Depraved

I just made myself a Master Peanut Butter Sandwich from Pokemon Scarlet - well, substituting Sriracha for spicy Herba Mystica, since I’m out of those - and it’s surprisingly delicious. I mean, it’s just a PBJ with banana and hot sauce on pre-buttered toast, but the spice really does add something.