• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Leaping back he attempts a high snap kick which I dodge under and send a feint towards his groin. Flinching he moves his guard lower to which I attempt to take advantage with a spinning elbow to his now exposed collar.

Only to take a knee to my elbow due to the counter feint he pulled off with his guard. It smarts, but not enough to prevent me returning my own kick to his bicep.

Good chapter but the missing commas and repetitive sentence structure brought down the quality. Yang was... Well, maybe that fits her canon characterization. She prided herself in protecting her sister and being tough, and here's some guy that does it all better.

Good chapter but the missing commas and repetitive sentence structure brought down the quality. Yang was... Well, maybe that fits her canon characterization. She prided herself in protecting her sister and being tough, and here's some guy that does it all better.
Thanks! I spent so much time on tweaking and rewriting dialogue that the editing in the non dialogue scenes has suffered, i will do an edit tonight once i finish work before i edit up the next chapter. Again great feeback thank you!

I'm curious what sort of outfit Itachi will get. He is certainly strong enough to wear impractical clothing without endangering himself, and he is meant to branch out with this second life. I hope he does something impulsive... Ideally something which is not inspired by thoughts of his family, but that's unlikely.

Outfit wise he's currently rocking this:- https://w0.peakpx.com/wallpaper/384...-landscape-naruto-sasuke-sharingan-uchiha.jpg Under and over as his body is from when he had just left Konoha and Tobi and was headed for Nagato.

Future Itachi i'm still working on inspiration.

Okay, I've tried a first readability pass on the fight, tried to separate perspective a little and worked on the punctuation. Let me know your thoughts! If you have any examples of sentence structure to be shared let me know as thats a habit i would like to break asap!

Yang may think she's a great sister, but as the last few volumes have proven she's actually pretty terrible at being a big sister. This is perfectly in-character for her. Anger issues, a sense of self-righteousness, overly judging and unable to reflect.

Anyway, I'm not very interested in first-person stories, especially when it's not an SI, so while the idea of Itachi reincarnating into Remnant catches my interest, it's having a lot of trouble holding my attention. I think this would be much better served in third person.

Prologue Arc - A New World : Chapter 7 - Of Legends and Myth
This chapter is an amalgamation of what used to be two different chapters. Neither flowed quite right so last night i threw out the plot outline for this part and decided to merge them and tweak the timescales. Let me know your thoughts, as this one is very raw from an editing perspective. I usually make about four passes over any given chapter but this was only edited once. I don't currently have a beta so flying by the seat of my pants here. And as always, thanks for reading.

====================================================

Chapter 7 – Of Legends and Myth

A few days later, I find myself amidst another mind draining Aura control session.

"Okay Itachi, take a deep breath, and imagine your aura filling your arm like a cup. Don't try to use too much, only the smallest amount is required. It won't feel like it's enough but Aura is very efficient at its job." Taiyang says in a patient tone. Over the past few days both Summer and Taiyang have been eternally patient with my struggles to master something that seemingly comes easily to the whole family.

Learning to use Aura as more than a passive addition to my stamina and a slight boost to my ability to take a hit has been… an experience.

At first I thought that Aura, being the expression of my soul and my Yin chakra would be directly connected. I am a grandmaster of Yin manipulation, probably the second best ever to come out of Konoha after Tsunade.

But that's not the case at all.

Were I to ever return to the elemental nations and write a treatise on chakra use, I would completely rewrite the book on Yin chakra being commonly referred to as 'spiritual energy.'

It has nothing to do with the soul, and not much really to do with the spirit. It took Aura to let me see that.

A better description for the 'Yin' would be mental energy. Don't get me wrong, it's soul adjacent. Your yin chakra is build of your experiences and your knowledge, of which your soul is obviously a major part.

But having access to Aura, having that root deep connection into the soul itself?

I have to wonder if this is what the Sage of Six Paths was searching for, all those centuries ago at the genesis of the great clans, when he begged the world to embrace Ninshu. The connection between people.

And the techniques used to manipulate my Aura are completely at odds with the techniques to manipulate the split aspects of chakra.

Chakra manipulation is a science, it has a specific logic it follows. It breaks conventional physics but in exchange, has its own inviolable laws. Mostly in how it's manipulated rather than the form of the final effect.

But to someone who uses their mind as their primary weapon, chakra manipulation is easy. Sasuke's pink haired teammate is testament to that.

Aura manipulation is completely different. Were Uzumaki Naruto here, I could only think that this would be something he would excel at.

It's all instinct, a deep-seated connection into the heart of your own existence. Where chakra is a science, Aura is an art. They connect only loosely deep within your metaphysical self. And they directly influence each other in often illogical ways. Aura is incredibly draining on my 'Yang' chakra when overused, but it has a reinforcing effect on the same chakra when used in the proper way.

But I've never been a person who fought with their heart before. Strong emotion is detrimental to Chakra control. It's the opposite for Aura. Fighting using nothing but instinct and need is something I would have easily scoffed at before.

Now it might just be the hardest lesson I have ever had to learn.

It burns slightly, I've never struggled in an academic environment but again, it's easy to be naturally good at logic for Uchiha. Having that emotional, creative spark? I've never had a chance to cultivate that side of me.

My emotions, something locked deep within me by my Father, ANBU, Root training and the endless tragedy of life…

I have to find a way to access them properly again or I won't ever truly be able to master this skillset.

My arm starts to glow an iridescent blue-violet color.

I can at least do this much. Which is apparently a decent start.

I have a long way to go.

I'm reading a book on the history of Remnant when Taiyang enters the house.

"Ozpin is on his way from Patch." He tells me with a smirk.

I nod. Strangely nervous to meet the man who will likely define what my existence looks like here on Remnant. At least for the immediate future.

The way people talk about him is telling. Even my few forays into Patch itself on various errands you hear lots of talk about Beacon and inevitably about the headmaster.

He's a larger-than-life figure, famous damn near everywhere across the world if what people say is true. His reputation reminds me of Jiraiya, or even possibly the Yondaime. A figure that people respect for his power, but somehow don't fear for that same power.

Unable to concentrate on my book I find myself checking the time constantly, as the clock moves and my nervousness increases.

A knock on the door and my nerves consolidate into a singular feeling of dread.

I feel like I am waiting for an after mission review from the Hokage.

Summer lets him in, along with another man, tall and imposing, and looking a little like an aged-up Sasuke with greying black hair and a wearing a white suit with red accents. And a truly colossal sword on his back.

This is going to be fun.

Rather than an interrogation immediately as I expect, the headmaster simply sits in the living room with us, with Qrow by his side. We drink tea while Ozpin and Qrow catch up with Summer and Taiyang. I feel a little more at ease as they talk about their lives and casually catch up.

Then the headmaster turns his eyes on to me.

It would be hard for me to explain exactly what I feel from my chakra sense when it comes to this man. But it's enough that I wouldn't ever want to face him in a fair head-to-head fight if I had any other choice. I struggle to stop my Sharingan activating as a purely defensive mechanism as his presence wars with my own.

Uchiha cannot back down from being challenged, not even me who did my best to avoid that curse of my family. The air shimmers between us as he locks his eyes on mine. His presence is immensely vast, more so even than Danzo and the Sandaime put together. Not his power, I can feel he probably wouldn't quite match up with a Kage, but his presence in the world dwarfs theirs regardless.

He's silver haired with deep yellow-green eyes under small impractical eyeglasses that rest upon his nose. He seemingly favours the colour green greatly, wearing a suit of green and charcoal black. A walking stick but also certainly more rests close to hand.

The room gets tense as the other three pick up on our silent war as I lose control over my eyes and my Sharingan swirls into life.

Rather than look intimidated, he smiles and cocks an eyebrow.

"How very interesting. A unique energy source that I've never seen before."

His smirk turns into a smile as his presence recedes.

"So Itachi Uchiha. Tell me."

He leans in toward me, his eyes slightly glowing as the rest of the room fades out.

"What is your favourite fairytale?"

My eyes deactivate as I sputter.

"What?"

He chuckles in response.

"Fairytale, parable? Maybe some sort of moral story? You have those in the village you are from yes?"

I think we do. Not like I would have much experience with them.

"I started training for my role at five, unfortunately most of the legends or moral stories I know are long and not suited to be called fairytales."

"And which of those is your favourite?"

Now I have to think. Amaterasu and the Mirror maybe? Legend of Susanoo?

I don't think any of these are what he is looking for.

Ah. I know which one is my favourite.

"My people call it the "Fable of the Twin Dragons."

Now he seems intrigued.

"How does that go?"

I side eye him.

"Are you sure you want me to tell you a parable, wouldn't I be wasting your time?"

He leans back in his chair an indicates for me to proceed.

Fine, have it your way old man.

"A young boy approaches his grandfather, the clan chief, filled with rage at another child who had wrought upon him a great injustice.

The old man says to his grandson. 'I too at times have been filled with a great hatred toward those who have wronged me. That have taken from me without moral quandary. But hate wears you down, it eats at your soul and provides neither damage to your enemy nor bandage for your injury. I struggled with these feelings for the longest time. And it is as times like these you must remember the twin dragons that live within every person. The first, the golden dragon represents everything that is pure about us. Peace, wisdom, love, charity, forgiveness. The second, the onyx dragon represents everything that we need to purify from us. It is hatred, rage, greed, gluttony, jealousy. For your entire life you must guard against the great dragon of black, and make sure that it never wins the fight within you.'

The boy thinks for a moment, and then replies.

'But which dragon will win inside me grandfather?'

The boys grandfather smiles at him and replies.

'The one you feed.'"

The headmaster smiles.

"A good and quite fitting story."

I nod. It was a favourite of Uzumaki Kushina, and a part of the Uzumaki legends. I vaguely remember her telling it to me when I was very young.

"Do you know who I am, Young Uchiha?"

"Headmaster Ozpin of Beacon academy."

He nods in response, before fixing me with a much more serious look.

"And that is all you know. Yet you see more than most even without using your special eyes. Interesting."

I narrow my eyes as he continues.

"Why are you here Mr Uchiha?" he asks solemnly.

"I don't know Headmaster. I thought I was dead. Until suddenly I wasn't. Dropped into an icy wasteland on the outskirts of a fight with nothing but the standard gear of my village." I reply.

He continues to gaze into my eyes with a cold expression.

"And where exactly is your village? Konoha I believe you told Summer it is called, yes?"

I shrug.

"I wish I could tell you, none of the maps that Summer and Taiyang have shown me match up even partially to the maps of the world I know of. I'm from further afield than you have mapped it seems."

He hums, leaning back into the armchair he is sat upon.

"I find myself in a bit of a quandary with you Mr Uchiha, you aren't what I expect, but your connection to Umbral worries me."

He fidgets with the empty cup in his hands, before changing the subject.

"I suppose I have to default to a position of trust for now. Summer Rose has vouched for your soul and she is not easily misled. But there are other ways to take a man's measure. Summer Rose says that you have no interest in academy life?"

I nod in return.

"I finished the Shinobi Academy at six, I was a decorated veteran at nine, I was leading squads at eleven, and was a key member of the black ops at fourteen. I am way beyond regular schooling and frankly have no interest in it."

Summer and surprisingly Taiyang look distraught, Qrow's expression is unreadable but he seems angry.

I understand that children are treated with a lighter touch here, but what I went through was no different than any other talented clan child of my world.

Even the headmaster seems sad.

"Frankly if it were my choice Mr Uchiha, that would be enough reason on its own to enrol you into Beacon. You need to structure and bonds that a team would grant you more than almost anyone who walks through my gates. But honestly I can tell right now that if I try to force the matter you will simply take the life of a mercenary, regardless of how damaging that would be to your already precarious psyche."

He puts his drink down on the small table as I rear back. How dare he judg-

"I'm not judging you Itachi. I would very much like to meet the people that through it acceptable to turn someone barely out of toddler years into an assassin, if only to introduce them to my deputy. But regardless, what is done, is done. We cannot change it."

He nods at me, and I calm. He isn't trying to pity me or condescend to me.

"I know beyond any shadow of a doubt you aren't from this world, and I suspect that you also know for sure that you aren't of this realm. But I sense no malice from you, you are barely touched by the malice of the Grimm so you haven't spent any time within Salem's grasp. You represent a wild card. So tell me, what is it you want from life?"

I lean back in the chair.

"I want the chance to fight for peace. I hate war, I hate hurting people. But I hate people being hurt that I could have helped more than that. I am a pacifist. I refuse to compromise my morals any more than I already have."

I look him straight in the eyes.

"I want to make a real difference. To myself, and to the world. I want to be more than I have been."

The headmaster smiles. Then speaks.

"I offer you a wager. You will face me in combat. If you impress me, I will arrange a vocational education for you with Qrow. You will remain here with Summer and Taiyang mostly, save for a few trips around the city states to learn and acclimate. Once Qrow deems you ready I will test you, and should you pass I will grant you a hunting license for services rendered."

Qrow looks at the headmaster with a flat expression. I don't think he cleared this with him first. But the headmaster continues on regardless.

"Should you fail to impress me, or in the interests of fairness the three here with us today, then you will take a place in the penultimate year of Beacon when you turn sixteen. Teams inevitably lose members due to dropouts or attrition. You will take one of these slots and graduate the school properly with a team. The gaps in your education will be filled in the meantime."

I'm not sure this fight is in my favour in my current state. I'm all but healed from the journey down from Umbral, but I have no control of my Aura, I still have not found all the differences in my chakra, and I can feel this man's strength. And it is beyond me as I am right now. Maybe if I had access to my Mangekyo and my full skillset.

Maybe

But then again, I don't need to win…

What is one more roll of the dice.

"I accept."

He smiles.

"Excellent."

We head a good while away from the house. The family is present, including the girls. And the three adults will be refereeing.

Ozpin hands me a device.

"Your scroll. Summer said you didn't have one and we need to sync your Aura to something so the fight can be judged properly." He says with a smile.

"I apologise but I have no idea how to use this thing."

He winks in return.

"You know Itachi, neither do I."

If he fights as well as he lies I have this in the bag. He fiddles with the device and points it at me for a short while. When he hands it back the image of my face with a green bar underneath is present.

"All set Headmaster" Summer yells over while watching her 'Scroll'.

Before long we face each other across a woodland clearing. The family watches from the side-lines, kids firmly pinned to their parents sides.

Qrow raises his arm, and I prime my Chakra. I need to take it slow here, without mastery of my Aura I am forced to rely on a frankly volatile chakra system.

The headmaster's Aura explodes, as his presence grows.

Qrow steps between us.

"Combat is until either fighter's Aura is in the red, or until Headmaster Ozpin calls for a stop. Whichever comes first."

He drops his arm.

"Begin."

The headmaster is immediately in my face swinging his cane. I block with a kunai and immediately regret it as the chakra tempered extremely expensive kunai shatters.

I immediately body flicker to make distance, staring at the handle and ring left in my hand with wide eyes. My blocking arm is numb!

Okay so hand to hand is probably out. The headmaster is bursting toward me in green flickers of movement, a flat expression on his face. I immediately deploy a fan of Kunai and Shuriken, layering the thrown weapons for lethality.

The headmaster bats them away contemptuously, even the ones in the shadow of the first thrown.

What the hell is this man?

I immediately start layering basic illusions, once I feel the first Illusion take I dive underground and replace myself with an illusionary clone.

The headmaster thankfully takes the bait and engages my clone who I have dodging his attacks. Under cover of the illusion I emerge at the headmasters starting position and observe his combat style looking for weaknesses.

A hand on my shoulder interrupts my thinking, as the headmaster speaks from behind me.

"Quite a battle to watch don't you agree?"

I flicker into the air as he swipes at me and his illusion dissipates as my clone stops fighting against air.

Weaving through sixteen hand signs in half a second I incant.

Fire Style: Flame Dragon Bullet.

Blowing the technique down directly onto the headmaster, he looks up at me serenely before gesturing with his cane and creating an emerald-green shield. My technique dissipates harmlessly against the shield but it grants me the vision loss I require.

Flickering down to my original starting position, I make a fresh set of signs and incant

Earth Style: Mud Flow River.

The ground turns into a mudslide as the earth turns liquid and attempts to sink him. Putting his hand in his coat pocket he pulls out a red vial and pops the lid.

I've seen Summer do this! I need to dodge!

I flicker back behind him as he gestures with his cane but he turns on a ryo, pointing his cane at me as a colossal fireball emerges drying the ground and rapidly bearing down on me.

Thank you Kisame you beautiful man.

Weaving new signs I incant.

Water Style: Wall of Water.

I spit out the colossal water technique, one that I wouldn't have had the reserves for while under the effects of my previous illness, and the headmaster's expression finally changes from serene to thoughtful. The technique turns the battlefield to steam as both of us disappear into the thick clouds.

Okay, enough of this now. I have taken his measure. I think I can risk the expenditure of my eyes.

Activating my Sharingan I see the truth.

Is this how other people felt while fighting me?

Then the headmaster is charging at me from his original starting position, his illusion dispelled I charge to meet him ninjato in hand.

The next few minutes are a dance of steel, his cane against my chakra reinforced blade, one of the finest in Konoha. Thankfully it is holding up a lot better than the kunai earlier. He is incredibly fast, but thankfully not faster than my perception or reactions under reinforcement.
However as I am now without the body of the hardened mercenary I grew in to, he will win a contest of stamina.

As the fight wears on he continues to set small illusions, and illusionary snares which I return with enthusiasm. The fight becomes a spar of minds, who will bend first, who will break. Multiple copies of our fight spring up around us as we duel with misdirection.

This man would have made a fine Shinobi.

I need a decisive end and I have just the trick.

Engaging him in another round of melee, I start to layer an illusion, but instead of setting it on his perception of the battlefield, instead I set it on myself. Increasing the signs of exhaustion and amplifying mistakes I make, I weave multiple extra layers as we fight, subtly changing aspects of my own body to match his assumption of my capability.

Finally he takes the bait and attempt to take advantage of one of the 'openings' in my guard. Instead of parrying the attack though I engage my illusion to meet it head on. With no way to dodge at short notice, his cane enters through my shoulder and exits out my back. I cough blood in his face as his eyes widen in disbelief. Qrow looks at the Aura monitor in shock.

"But-"

I open my mouth, coughing up blood as a flock of ravens crawls from my mouth eyes and ears formed from the fountains of blood leaking from my face. Reforming after a body flicker behind the headmaster and dropping the fourth layered illusion, I put my sword to his neck.

He chuckles.

"Okay, I am deeply impressed."

The illusions on the battlefield dissipate as the truth of the battle is revealed to my eyes. The entire first half of the fight after the initial clash was an illusion. But not an illusion of mine. This man is an illusionist of no small skill. Even Kurenai would be jealous of the casual way this man weaves a narrative. Without my Sharingan he lead me around by the nose.

However I am under no 'illusions' that I won. With his aura almost full he could easily walk my blade off right now without thinking about it.

"Impressive illusions Headmaster. You may be the first to truly mislead me with one."

He smiles at me primly.

"I am quite adept at leading people to pay no attention to the man behind the curtain, Mr Uchiha. However you are without doubt the first person to ever steal my curtain and use it as a club with which to beat me."

I smirk, panting with the exertion. And then bow deeply, to which he responds with a smile and a nod of his head.

"The wager is set, and I have lost. I will negotiate with Summer, Taiyang and Qrow to maintain your education. And then we will see where you end up won't we." He smiles as he pats my shoulder.

"And maybe we can bring those hopes of yours to life. Don't be a stranger Mr Uchiha. I have entered my scroll details on your personal scroll, feel free to contact me if you have any questions." He states warmly.

"And if I have questions on Sale-"

"Do not say the name here in the open." He interrupts me. "We can talk about her another time, in a much more secure place. For now, there is no need for you to know. All I ask is that you keep knowledge of her existence to yourself."

I can tell he has no intention of changing his mind so I let it drop.

For now.

"So what are your thoughts headmaster? Am I safe to keep him around the kids?"

Itachi, Summer and the kids have long since head off to bed, and Me, Qrow and the Headmaster have head out to a private bar for a serious chat.

"You intend on adopting the child, Taiyang?"

I shrug.

"It depends on a few things, but Summer has her claws deep and already loves the kid. He's been a big help to us for obvious reasons and he's not much of a burden as a houseguest. I'm not against the idea, maybe get to know him a bit first obviously."

The headmaster smiles. A surprisingly rare expression in a private conversation with him.

"He's a contrast of opposites. I've never faced someone before who was so utterly lethal in bearing and yet so completely unwilling to bring it to bear. He doesn't strike to kill, he specifically and intentionally brings exactly as much force as he believes needed to end a situation without serious injury to either party."

I snort.

"Headmaster that kid threw a house sized fireball shaped like a dragon, a mini tsunami, and a mudslide at you." I chuckle as he smirks back at me.

"And yet he was holding back. Severely. You forget I had him in the palm of my hand, I was stood chatting to you while he worked through the initial illusion and somehow he shattered my misdirection as if it were nothing. Even she never casually brushed aside my theatricality in such a manner." He laughs out loud, another uncommon private show of emotion from him.

Then his expression sobers.

"He could be our greatest hope or our worst nightmare. There is a part of me that thinks to end the threat right here but I know that even if it were a viable option, Summer would end me for attempting it."

I glare at him in warning.

"As would I Oz." I reply.

He looks me in the eyes for a moment, as if searching to see if I am joking or not.

"Sorry Headmaster, he saved Summers life, don't play games with him. I don't want another Raven situation."

He nods.

"Well said, I'll leave him to you."

Qrow takes the lull in conversation to slam his bottle down on the table.

"Why the fuck did you nominate me to train him and act as babysitter when he goes abroad? You know what my luck is like are you tryin to assassinate him passively?" he growls.

"I think the two of you will get along better than you know. Plus, don't complain. I know you like travelling more than staying in place and Summer will be here to pick up the slack at Signal." Ozpin replies with a shake of his head."

Qrow snorts in disbelief.

"Well I'll believe it when I see it, but you've not led me wrong up to now. Don't expect me to like the kid though. Too polite."

I laugh out loud.

"Qrow, if every second word was a curse he would still be too polite for you."

He smirks in response.

"I wonder if I can corrupt him? Someone who can lead Oz round by the nose. Imagine the pranks?"

===================================

This should be the final chapter of the prologue arc, I may do some intermissions but most of the fic now will move to around the canon timeline. This is where the AU really kicks in, i'll be maintaining most of the worldstate from RWBY initially because Itachi has mostly been working in the shadows while training with Qrow (Mostly ;)), but that will rapidly change track. Don't expect much of this to represent canon especially after the events of the third volume have passed but even before Itachi will be sticking his beak into quite a few 'Canon' situations. I'll be veering off in my own direction soon enough.

There may be a few future flashbacks where i cover important events in between, but i'm sure you guys dont want to read "And itachi trained for the fifth year on remnant" any more than i want to write it. If anyone wants to write omake though, feel free! As long as it doesnt include romance or drastically changing world events then anything goes!

I'm currently deciding if i want to write this as a genfic as all my fics are or if I should try for writing romance for once...

Last edited:
How clever, making Ozpin an illusionist. It is so obvious, yet I've never seen it done before. I guess because we already have Neo and Emerald throwing them around in canon.

I hope Itachi shows some transformations to people eventually; in particular, comparing Kisame to Qrow multiple times before finally revealing the mist ninja's appearance? Gold.

"Ozpin's deputy" is an alright title for Qrow, though I imagine there were deputies before him... I wonder if Ruby will go to Beacon at the same time as Yang in this fic. Surely there'll be a few butterflies from Summer's return? I could see Summer helping Amber in the future with whatever the maiden actually does for Ozpin/Vale.

How clever, making Ozpin an illusionist. It is so obvious, yet I've never seen it done before. I guess because we already have Neo and Emerald throwing them around in canon.

I hope Itachi shows some transformations to people eventually; in particular, comparing Kisame to Qrow multiple times before finally revealing the mist ninja's appearance? Gold.

"Ozpin's deputy" is an alright title for Qrow, though I imagine there were deputies before him... I wonder if Ruby will go to Beacon at the same time as Yang in this fic. Surely there'll be a few butterflies from Summer's return? I could see Summer helping Amber in the future with whatever the maiden actually does for Ozpin/Vale.

It genuinely shocked me to my core that they didnt make Ozma an illusionist in Canon. I expected it almost since the beginning given he is based off Oz who is very good at maintaining a projection of power through lies and misdirection. I always thought it was a huge waste of the character to make him all about up front power when the lore about Oz could be used to make something pretty unique.

I love how it is going so far, What genre will this be tho SoL/action?

I love how it is going so far, What genre will this be tho SoL/action?

SoL/Action/Fix-It mostly, a large portion of the fix-it will be focused on Itachi himself, trying to fix some of his maladaptive patterns and such. I'm currently debating whether to add in a pairing, as while i've written a few fics up to now i've never bothered with romance.

I feel like I am waiting for a job interview.

Presumably ninja don't have job interviews. They attain higher rank through good conduct on missions, and tournaments? Is this refering to things like applying for a higher ranks?

Not a big deal, but it was kinda jarring.

The fight was nice. I enjoyed it.

Presumably ninja don't have job interviews. They attain higher rank through good conduct on missions, and tournaments? Is this refering to things like applying for a higher ranks?

Not a big deal, but it was kinda jarring.

The fight was nice. I enjoyed it.

Hmmm, good point actually... Fixed! Thanks for the feedback!

Great fight scene and nice bit of dialog between Taiyang, Ozpin and Qrow. I also noticed just how nonchalant Ozpin is when he states that if he killed Itachi that both Summer and Taiyang would kill him because he's practically immortal. Really shows how jaded he is towards his own demise having already experienced it several times already. Noticed that Ozpin said that his 'deputy' would like to have a talk with Konoha, who's he refering to? Glynda? If it's Glynda then yeah she'd go on a psychic rampage on them and give then the longest tongue lashing Konoha has ever seen. Can't think of anyone else that'll fit the deputy role though.

And showing that Itachi held back still, shows that he isn't just barking what he says and actually delivers them in his bite. You also show Ozpin's skills. In most RWBY fics I've read, Ozpin is always the man behind the curtain and represents not only a coward but a pitiful one at that. While we haven't gotten to see what his personality is in this fic, we do know that his words are also backed by power.

Great fight scene and nice bit of dialog between Taiyang, Ozpin and Qrow. I also noticed just how nonchalant Ozpin is when he states that if he killed Itachi that both Summer and Taiyang would kill him because he's practically immortal. Really shows how jaded he is towards his own demise having already experienced it several times already. Noticed that Ozpin said that his 'deputy' would like to have a talk with Konoha, who's he refering to? Glynda? If it's Glynda then yeah she'd go on a psychic rampage on them and give then the longest tongue lashing Konoha has ever seen. Can't think of anyone else that'll fit the deputy role though.

And showing that Itachi held back still, shows that he isn't just barking what he says and actually delivers them in his bite. You also show Ozpin's skills. In most RWBY fics I've read, Ozpin is always the man behind the curtain and represents not only a coward but a pitiful one at that. While we haven't gotten to see what his personality is in this fic, we do know that his words are also backed by power.

Glad you enjoyed the fight! Writing illusions can be tricky because you can end up deceiving yourself while you write them haha! And yes, Deputy referred to Glynda in this case. I'm glad that Ozpin came off casual about his end, i wasn't sure if i had left it quite nonchalant enough and didnt want to oversell it.

Glad you enjoyed the fight! Writing illusions can be tricky because you can end up deceiving yourself while you write them haha! And yes, Deputy referred to Glynda in this case. I'm glad that Ozpin came off casual about his end, i wasn't sure if i had left it quite nonchalant enough and didnt want to oversell it.
You put his nonchalance perfectly in my opinion, he's going to be very bland and bored about his death since he knows he's going to live anyways. But at the same time, he's smart to be subtle about his blaise attitude towards his own death.

You do a wonderful job with your fights, that was an excellent rendition of the way I'd expect to see Itachi fight. Liked the story too, and the Kushina reference, hands down one of my favorite Naruto characters.

This is really good. Eagerly awaiting more.

Yup it was really good. I saw nothing to critique since I just quickly read the chapter. I liked everyone's characterizations here, and I'm happy with how the fight went. It had a few surprises for both, and people didn't treat Itachi like a Fabulous Gary Sue in the post-fight commentary.

I wonder if his older age will ever be a plot point or get brought up? There would be too many questions of how this de-aging happened and the Shinigami really doesn't want to be talked about.

If there's one tag or word you should add in your title.. it's "Not power-stomp" or "No powertrip/harem" because honestly I immediately saw the Naruto part and I was like, there's a 99% chance it is indeed a power trip and a harem story. Your tags unfortunately contribute to this impression.

Yup it was really good. I saw nothing to critique since I just quickly read the chapter. I liked everyone's characterizations here, and I'm happy with how the fight went. It had a few surprises for both, and people didn't treat Itachi like a Fabulous Gary Sue in the post-fight commentary.

I wonder if his older age will ever be a plot point or get brought up? There would be too many questions of how this de-aging happened and the Shinigami really doesn't want to be talked about.

If there's one tag or word you should add in your title.. it's "Not power-stomp" or "No powertrip/harem" because honestly I immediately saw the Naruto part and I was like, there's a 99% chance it is indeed a power trip and a harem story. Your tags unfortunately contribute to this impression.

Added! Thanks for the advice!

Arc 1 - Sensei : Chapter 1 - Fury
Chapter 1 – Fury

My scroll is vibrating due to an incoming call.

This wouldn't usually be an unusual situation, but it's 3am, and I'm currently asleep in cover while we overwatch yet another Mistralian Grimm worshipper camp on the outskirts of Argus.

At least this place is slightly warmer than Atlas.

Sleep is the only time I don't need to hear Qrows incessant grumbling.

Unfortunately I can't even ignore this as I spy the Headmasters portrait in the call box.

"What."

"Now now Mr Uchiha, is that any way to talk to your boss?"

"Ozpin, it's 3am, I've not slept properly in four days thanks to the lazy crows habits, I need warm food and a shower before I can deal with your usual verbal maze, so please, speak plainly just this once."

"Your youngest sister got into a duel with Roman Torchwick in the middle of Vale, caused a lot of property damage, nearly ended up on the wrong side of dead. Your other sister decided to go on a rampage in Junior Xiong's nightclub and nearly killed a man. Only the known criminality of the premises and my word has kept her out of jail. Taiyang and Summer are headed on vacation to Vacuo. There is no way the elderly Mrs Caype can handle discipline on this, so do you want to come and deal with the two of them, or am I to interrupt your parents first proper break in four years?"

I pinch the bridge of my nose. Why am I always cursed with siblings like this. Is this part of my penance?

"I'll be there in three days. Don't tell anyone I'm coming."

"Thank you Itachi. I will see you in three days."

I hang up my scroll.

"You hear that Qrow."

He nods.

"Need me to head back to Vale with you?"

I shake my head.

"No, the work here is too important. I may have dealt with Callows but the big one is still lurking since we escaped Mantle with Amber. Stay safe and don't be afraid to call Ironwood for backup. I know how antisocial you are but for once let it go and accept help. If you get killed Willow will use me as target practice."

He snorts.

"You aren't wrong, okay fine. Head back and sort out my wayward niece. Give her some extra hell just for me."

"There will be more than enough hell from me that I shouldn't need yours. But I believe your paramours daughter is on her way to join Beacon isn't she? So maybe you should come and give some step-fatherly advice?"

He shudders.

"Don't curse me with that goddamn, she's a nice girl, nicer still since Jacques popped his clogs but she does not like me."

I have to chuckle at that.

"She did walk in on you and her mother not two weeks after Willow ended Jacques. That would put a dampener on any stepfathers relationship with his new daughter."
He shudders again.

"Go fuck a cactus Itachi. Just a casual fling. Nothing like what you are implying." He says a look of clear disgust on his face.

Waving him off with a smirk I flicker off toward Beacon. Now how would I have dealt with this situation if it were Sasuke…

I step off the Bullhead to the crisp summer air of Vale west. It's been nearly six months since I was back here, and here I am days before my little sister heads off to Beacon. If the headmaster still lets her in of course.

And now I need to put the fear of the kami into my sisters so they don't get involved in potentially lethal fights before they even attend Beacon.

Looking up at the school I feel at peace, I may not have been a proper student here but I spent a lot of time with the professors in private lessons. It's almost a home away from home. The spires always instils a sense of awe within me. Being one of the headmasters apprentices keeps me very busy. I really should spend more time here.

Ozpin meets me at the outer gate. After greeting each other, I move right on to business.

"So what's the damage? What are we paying for?"

He chuckles in response.

"Nothing, I've committed Junior to neutrality on Yang. Your name was enough to make them reconsider revenge. You may want to go and lay down the law there in person and maybe drop a few Lien."

He stops to look me in the eye and puts a hand on my shoulder before continuing.

"Ruby saved a man's life and stopped one of the biggest dust heists in years so she's actually up for a reward more than a punishment. If Glynda wasn't there to stop Torchwicks associate though, she would almost certainly have at the bare minimum come out of the fight severely maimed." He looks at me with worry as he says this. He knows what I'll do if someone hurts one of the girls.

"I'll expect a full breakdown of any and all intel you have on the 'associate' by the end of the week of course." I manage to get out between gritted teeth. He seems perturbed for a moment before I realise my aura presence is rapidly darkening and my killing intent is ramped up to max. I draw back my chakra as we walk. Wouldn't do to kill off a first year with a heart attack.

"I'll send you everything I know once I have consolidated the info." He nods and agrees.

Ozpin escorts me into the guest quarters where my apprentice apartment is, while explaining exactly what my sisters have been up to while they've had minimum oversight.

I don't know what I'm going to do with them both, but I need to work it out soon.

Hopefully they haven't destroyed my apartment out of boredom…

"Let me know when you are done Itachi, I have a couple of requests for you before you head out again." The headmaster departs leaving me stood at my own door rehearsing the upcoming conversation in my head.

Give me a cat any day. Cats I can deal with. People? Not so much.

I walk in as Yang has Ruby in a headlock. Rubbing her knuckles across my youngest sisters scalp as Ruby laughs and is trying to tickle her.

"I hear the two of you have been up to some interesting things?"

They jump apart as if scalded before turning to me in shock. "Itachi!..." "Big Bro!..."

They dive over the back of my couch and then dive into me as I catch them both in a hug. I allow myself to enjoy the hug before disengaging and gently manoeuvring them over to sitting down on my couch, pulling up a stool to sit opposite them I fix them with my best disappointed stare.

"So which one of you wants to explain yourself first?"

They look at each other, back at me, and then simultaneously point at the other. I'm in no mood for games today.

"Girls, I just effectively sprinted here from inner Mistral leaving uncle Qrow to deal with bandits on his own. There's a time for games, this isn't it. Ruby. Explain why Professor Goodwitch had to stop you from becoming a barbecue smear on the rooftops."

"I stopped a robber!"

I nod.

"You did, and I am proud of you for saving the shopkeeper. You made a tactical error when you chased the perpetrator onto the isolated rooftops without any scouting or knowledge of potential backup. It's a little disappointing given our training."

She looks down at the ground, before I rub her head and smile.

"Seriously, Roman isn't one most will tangle with so good job, but engage your brain a little more so I don't have to come home and find out my foolish little sister has become my dead little sister. Ok?"

She nods and smiles.

I turn to Yang. Hers is a little less positive.

She glares at me with a stubborn look on her face.

"I don't have to explain myself to you, you aren't mom or dad."

Oh she's playing it like that is she? She knows full well Summer and Taiyang left me in charge if they aren't present.

"Ah okay, then that is fair enough. I'll get on the scroll to Summer then and explain why they both have to leave their getaway to come back and smooth things over with Junior so you don't end up blacklisted from half of Vale then? And of course you are all grown up now so you can be the one to debate with the headmaster as to why you deserve to still enrol this year yes?"

She continues her stubborn glare but her fingers are tapping and I know her tells.

"Okay fine. He's an info broker I picked up his info from a friend. I've been looking for mom. I asked him and he got smart with me so I thought he was hiding the info and tried to beat it out of him."

An inadequate retelling of events.

"That's an amusing summary. It misses out the part where you provoked, threatened, and then sexually assaulted a man on his own property, attacked multiple people who were completely unconnected at that point other than to rush to defend their boss, put one of his twin bouncers in hospital after you continued to attack after you broke her Aura, and broke a family heirloom weapon of the Xiong family."

She looks down fists clenched and teeth gritted.

"Yang. I've warned you about your temper and where it will lead. If I find out you've grabbed another man by the testicles and they haven't explicitly attacked you first I'll be mightily put out. Do you understand."

She nods, unshed tears at the corner of her eyes.

"Of course if someone attempts to touch you, you feel free to grab and tear okay?"

She chuckles at that with a sniff.

"I'm not angry with you Yang, the search for family, I can understand that. Believe me. But if you let your anger rule you all you will ever be is a berserker. It's why you've yet to lay a hand on me in our spars."

I reach out and put my hand on her shoulder.

"However while I may not be angry with you I am extremely disappointed."

She looks up into my eyes.

"You can stop attacking gangsters and info brokers. I already know where your mother is. I told you I would find her, and I have. Graduate Beacon and I will take you to her. But as you are, with this level of strength. She would break you and I would really not like to have to end your mother in front of you."

She looks like she has a million questions, but I shake my head before she can open her mouth.

"Take my advice please Yang. There are only two ways that I'll tell you the info now. One you beat it out of me." She shudders at that. "The second is you graduate and get strong."

She slumps. She won't thank me for it now, but she will understand when she meets her mother.

I've never been one for cursing, but that woman is a grade-a bitch. It's hard to believe her and Qrow are related. I think even Master Jiraiya would struggle to find anything about her redeeming.

"I won't stop looking Itachi."

I shake my head with an indulgent smile. Reaching out with two fingers I tap her on the forehead.

"Silly little sister. I didn't say stop looking. I said stop doing illegal things in the process. Just understand that you won't be getting the info from me."

She bats my hand away with exasperation.

"Itacchiiiiiiiii..."

I can't help but chuckle. The more things change the more they stay the same indeed.

"Is Professor Ozpin really going to not let me join Beacon?" She asks in a small voice, not at all like her.

"I think I can persuade him to let you still join up with your friends. Get involved in any other extra-curricular activity though and ill ask Taiyang to pull your enrolment himself. And then we can spend a whole year training in manners and following the law.

She shudders again.

"I'llbegood!"

Ruby laughs at her sister which prompts us all to dissolve into a chuckle.

"So anyway I'm here, tell me what else has been happening around Patch, and Vale. Staying with Mrs Caype must be enlightening?"

They both rush to tell me the latest gossip, I half listen while leaning back and absorbing the atmosphere. I've missed these two.

"Thanks for joining me Itachi, are your sisters suitably chastised?"

"I believe so. Ruby was minorly disappointing and I think I've got through to her but I'd appreciate it if you could ask Glynda to have a word with Yang about the inappropriateness of what she did to Junior. I tried but well, I think Glynda could impart that lesson better than me."

He nods. "I will ask her for a favour on your behalf. I assume she was looking for Raven again?"

I scowl in response.

"Yes. And I'll be having a word with Tai again about it when he gets home. I understand he is in pain with her abandonment but he hasn't even told Yang what her mother is like at all and it's not for her adopted brother to say "Hey Yang, your mother is a cowardly bitch who would rather run a bandit camp of weaklings preying on the innocent than be a mother or take any responsibility at all."

His eyes seem sad.

"You know Itachi, it's been five years since your adoption, I don't think Taiyang would mind if you called him 'Father'." He says in a gentle voice.

I can only shiver at that.

"The words 'Father' and 'Mother' have… connotations for me. Not positive ones. I use their names out of respect for the relationship between us and they know that I acknowledge them as my adoptive parents. I'm not ready to take the next step yet and may never be."

He nods in response.

"That's fair enough, maybe one day you will trust me enough to let me know your story so I can help you to heal."

I nod, but my tongue feels thick in my mouth at the very thought of explaining the Uchiha Massacre to him. He's done a lot for me since I arrived here and I don't think I could bear to see him look at me with the same eyes that Uzumaki Naruto did all those years ago.

"Moving on, I have two requests for you. These aren't orders, they're requests. Friend to friend."

If he's putting it that way, he knows I won't like these requests and that I won't let him force me.

"Okay, what do you need?"

"The first, is I would like your support to enrol Ruby into Beacon this year-" I go to interrupt him with an emphatic no but he holds his fist up. "Let me finish."

I glare but indicate for him to continue.

"She is far beyond the Signal curriculum, I've seen some of the footage of her fight with Torchwick. She reminds me of you and I honestly can't see her being held back any longer. Add in the fact that it will be safer for her to learn and graduate with her sister. Well-"

He shakes his head.

"I need your support Itachi. Taiyang will agree, Summer will not. But she listens to you."

"Headmaster, you know my opinion on early education for prodigies." I reply with a cool tone.

He shakes his head.

"Itachi, she has no friends at Signal due to her immense talent. She's languishing in a worthless wasteful education when she could be moving on in her education. Two years early is not the same as the eleven that you were burdened with."

I hate it but he's right.

"Fine. I'll give you my support on one condition. You have to manipulate things so that Yang and the strongest student are on her team."

"I don't interf-"

I fix him with a sardonic smile.

"Headmaster, respectfully, don't lie to me. I know for a fact you pick the teams somehow."

He leans back in his chair with a proud smile.

"Fine, Ruby enrols, I will manipulate things so that Yang ends up on her team but I won't interfere with partner selection. The strongest incoming student is Pyrrha Nikos. If she ends up as Ruby or Yang's partner, so be it. But I will not force the issue."

Pyrrha. Now that's someone I've not seen In a few years.

"Probably best you don't put Pyrrha on a team with my sisters actually." I let out a nervous laugh.

The headmaster smiles a mischievous smile.

"Oh, is there some history I should be aware of? First love?"

I stare at him with wide eyes.

"Me and Pyrrha? Vale would be burning the next day. I beat her in an initial private spar a few years ago while Qrow was catching up with her father and then she nearly gelded me in a second spar. We are currently one win to me and one draw, and I would prefer to keep it that way."

Pyrrha Nikos is one of the scariest people I have ever had the pleasure of sparring with and that is saying something given I've sparred with Hidan and Tobi. She takes losing as a personal slight. She is like the Gai to my Kakashi.

At least she's a lot more attractive than Kakashi's eternal rival. No less competent, however.

The headmaster is laughing outright now.

"If you were trying to persuade me to not put her on a team with your sisters Itachi, you didn't do a very good job. This could be like my own personal soap opera."
I smirk in return.

"You get to referee our next spar when it all ends in tears then, boss."

"Yes well, first love can indeed be passionate, so I will understand."

Qrow taught me a middle finger gesture that transcends language on Remnant. I deploy it with aplomb.

And yet the headmaster continues to laugh.

"What is your second request Headmaster? Given you always tend to lead with the more palatable request I find myself fearing the second."
He nods.

"I know you like to travel and help people around the continents. But I need you in Vale for the Vytal Tournament. I'd like you to take a part-time position as an Assistant Professor to Glynda until the end of the tournament. You wont be expected to run regular lessons, maybe teach some of your shinobi skills to an advanced class, I will leave the format to you. But I need you here."

I'm actually a little shocked. Ozpin is about as open to new teachers at his school as he is to reconciling with his ex-wife.

"I'm a little honoured you would ask. Did the old dog learn new tricks and put the more palatable request second?"

He smiles.

"We'll given your, not insignificant growing fame and the fact you'll be dealing with our student body without your usual mask, and only being a year older than the graduating class, I'd say you'll probably find this request significantly less attractive."

Fangirls. Fanboys.

But, I can be here for the girls in their first year.

They come first. It's not even a question.

"I accept."

He turns a proud look to me.

"Thank you Itachi. I'll send the details to your scroll. Just be here on opening day but I'll leave you free until then."

"Thanks Headmaster." I bow, and make ready to flicker.

"If anything happens to Ruby, you know what I'll do right?"

He nods.

"I won't even attempt to stop you."

Then I am in the wind.

"Strawberry Daquiri please."

The bartender brings me my drink with haste. I tend to stay away from alcohol at most times but I can engage my sweet tooth while waiting for Junior to realise I am in his nightclub.

Looking around I find myself cringing internally. Walls are cracked, ceiling decorations are damaged. Some of the speaker equipment is destroyed.

Maybe I was a little too lenient on Yang.

It doesn't take long until Junior sits down next to me.

"Ya here to warn me off ya sister?"

I shake my head.

"I don't need to. You already know what I'll do to anyone who touches one of them."

"Oh yeah, what was it you said to Fiore when she threatened to get your family involved when you turned her down? 'Three generations forward, three backward' right?"

I turn to him with a glare, ramping up my killing intent.

"That's just to start."

He chuckles but holds his hands up.

"I won't mess with your sister Itachi. No-one in town will after what you did to Cheshire. But there's a fuck ton of damage and I know you are a reasonable man."

I hand him a Lien card and he boggles.

"I could buy another club for this." He stutters.

"That's not just for the damage to the club. Its for the damage to your pride and also for info." I murmur.

"Oh, you need info huh? Your clones not cutting it."

I turn a flat look onto him.

"Roman Torchwick has a friend who likes to throw lethal amounts of fire at a fifteen-year-old. They're on borrowed time. Get me a name, a location, or both."

He shakes his head.

"Neo won't like me sniffing around her man's business."

I let out a dry laugh.

"Then remind her what happened the last time she tried to cross me."

He snorts.

"I wouldn't survive reminding her of that. But I'll do my best. Usual info drop?"

"No, just send it to my scroll. I have no need to hide now. I'm no criminal and my undercover days are seemingly over."

"Oh, is the mask coming off finally? Going to let the world see what you can really do?"

"I've hidden long enough, time to step out of the shadows." I reply coldly.

"Is there something you aren't telling me Itachi?" He asks warily.

I pull out my scroll, and flick to a preview of an article that will be released tomorrow.

"Call this, an info exchange. You are the first to see this other than the network and the Headmaster, but it will be public tomorrow."

His eyes widen in shock.

"You…killed Tyrian Callows!?"

"I did."

He gulps.

"Do you realise the mountain of shit coming your way once people see this. You won't be able to shit without three cameras and a voice recorder analysing your ass."

I nod.

"I'm not fully in agreement with the headmasters logic, but he wants me to step into the light and start making a public reputation."

"And you being a scary masked ninja motherfucker isn't really conducive to that."

I nod again.

He whistles in return.

"Well, feel free to come back for a drink or three I could use the popularity boost." He looks at the card I gave him then nods to the bartender. "His drinks are on me, pretty much forever."

He turns back to me and holds out his hand to shake.

"Thanks for dealing with that monster, not many in my line of work won't sleep easier tonight now that he's gone."

I shake his hand and he leaves as I get back to my drink.

I consider hunting Torchwick but I have a curriculum to read, and I have a feeling he will come to me once he finds out what I've paid for info on his friend.

Last edited:
Pyrrha Nikos.

Also holy shit that's one hell of a time skip.

Regarding the timeskip, there will be a few flashbacks, but the prologue arc was mostly to set the tone, this is the real start so to speak. I will cover some important past plot points later however as they become relevant.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back