• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

[X] Sakura.

Well damn. Looks like she has to fight right after her teammate was crippled.

[X] Hinata - by process of elimination, her match with Sakura is next.

[x] Sakura

As much as I wanted to vote Hinata.

[X] Sakura

come on, how can we not go talk to her after that?

Time to go and encourage her.

[X] Asuma.

As much as comforting Sakura might be a good idea we don't really know her that well. Plus in this state she might lash out at us. Going to Asuma and figuring out what happened before anything else seems the best idea.

FurikoMaru said:
"Gotcha. Later, everyone. Tenten? Stay gold."
"What does stay gold even mean?"
"Shine on, you crazy diamond."

[X] Sakura.
And,
Huddle up, guys. I think we can all agree that - whoever wins this next prelim match - Kuyo's going to need a severe ass-kicking. Agreed?

Guile said:
Huddle up, guys. I think we can all agree that - whoever wins this next prelim match - Kuyo's going to need a severe ass-kicking. Agreed?

That would depend on whether it's malice or ignorance or just poor upbringing. Her jounin-sensei is Deidara you know.

If she's literally brought up not to know any better, as Kibi's reaction implies to me, then I'm having a hard time wanting to wish serious harm on Kuyo. I'm in wait and see mode right now. We don't know nearly enough to make an informed decision.

Part of the reason I want to chat up Asuma. Figure out what the fuck happened. And indifference towards Sakura and Hinata. They'll manage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hymn of Ragnarok said:
That would depend on whether it's malice or ignorance or just poor upbringing. Her jounin-sensei is Deidara you know.

If she's literally brought up not to know any better, as Kibi's reaction implies to me, then I'm having a hard time wanting to wish serious harm on Kuyo. I'm in wait and see mode right now. We don't know nearly enough to make an informed decision.

Part of the reason I want to chat up Asuma. Figure out what the fuck happened. And indifference towards Sakura and Hinata. They'll manage.
Oh, Kuyo's probably got a deep and engrossing backstory that will tug at our heartstrings, but I'm not Naruto; when someone blows off my friend's legs, then they kind of forfeit the right toget Therapy Jutsu'd.

Actually, I'd settle for having Ino vent her spleen on whoever decided medic-nin needed to be chuunin to get advanced pay grades. Team Office Lady was woefully underprepared for field ops, and now Konoha is down one medic-nin because some bureaucrat had a brilliant idea.

Guile said:
Oh, Kuyo's probably got a deep and engrossing backstory that will tug at our heartstrings, but I'm not Naruto; when someone blows off my friend's legs, then they kind of forfeit the right toget Therapy Jutsu'd.

Eh, I don't really call Sayuri a friend to Ino. More acquaintance. Cruel, but I barely know her and her losing her legs didn't elict more of a reaction from me than, 'Huh, so that happened.' I wasn't talking about rehabilitating Kuyo either, although turning her against Deidara as revenge does have a bit of an appeal...

I just want the full story before I make a call one way or another because not being in possession of all the facts, let alone only having a first impression, tends to bite you in the ass. If we do give a righteous beatdown I don't want it spoiled by my conscience. I certainly can't get the hate-boner up to charge into battle yelling, "For Mrs. Shirt Mook Red!"

Don't look at me like that.

Actually, I'd settle for having Ino vent her spleen on whoever decided medic-nin needed to be chuunin to get advanced pay grades. Team Office Lady was woefully underprepared for field ops, and now Konoha is down one medic-nin because some bureaucrat had a brilliant idea.

Think it was less pay grade and more an admin position? But yeah, didn't end up very smart.

yeah, on paper "higher ranks give orders to lower ranks" makes sense, but in practice, you realize that the higher rank you are, the more time you have spent in the field, and the more time you spend fighting, the less time you spend healing.

so most, if not all of the really skilled Med-nin, will probably be genin (because active duty doesn't leave a lot of time to learn to be a doctor)

in hindsight, team-medic would probably have been better off sending a appeal to the hokage explaining this reasoning, and bringing this to his attention so this oversight can be corrected.

trying to become chunin is not guaranteed to work, and even if it does, it only helps these three, not everyone else.

Silversun17 said:
wait, the Sandaime ordered that change? what the fuck, he isn't that stupid.

IIRC, the Sandaime created the Konoha Medic Corps at Tsunade's behest.

He may not be stupid, but I'll bet you that when he thinks 'Competent Medic' Tsunade is the image that springs to mind- And she's hardly the squishy healer type.

But yeah, fanon bullshit aside? Konoha is a military dictatorship. The Hokage runs everything, except clan policy.

Vindictus said:
IIRC, the Sandaime created the Konoha Medic Corps at Tsunade's behest.

He may not be stupid, but I'll bet you that when he thinks 'Competent Medic' Tsunade is the image that springs to mind- And she's hardly the squishy healer type.

But yeah, fanon bullshit aside? Konoha is a military dictatorship. The Hokage runs everything, except clan policy.

To be fair, in any organization there's probably going to be delegating. Less about making everything perfect, more "Is it good enough? Okay then, on to the next problem, we'll fix it up better when we have time." Sandaime's word is law, what he says goes.

Plus Tsunade's thing was a medic on each team, right? Or the ideal set-up. So being expected to go out in the field and keep people alive when they really need the attention instead of dragging them and their injuries back to Konoha is probably not uncommon.

Silversun17 said:
wait, the Sandaime ordered that change?
Change?

The only change made was to the organization of A&DM, which necessitated someone with higher clearance than a genin being put in charge, and that decision was made by the administrative committee at the hospital. Advancement to chuunin has always been handled via trial by combat in some way.

Ya gotta remember, the villages are only fifty or sixty years old. That's a short time in a pre-internet society. They still haven't fully adjusted their expectations of what a chuunin is. I doubt most people who don't work in a support capacity give the matter more than a second's thought before saying, "But you can't just give a genin chuunin rank."

oh god damn it. we need to petition the hokage to overrule that committee or at least provide a different means of advancement. risking your doctors and nurses like this is fucking stupid.

FurikoMaru said:
Change?

The only change made was to the organization of A&DM, which necessitated someone with higher clearance than a genin being put in charge, and that decision was made by the administrative committee at the hospital. Advancement to chuunin has always been handled via trial by combat in some way.

Ya gotta remember, the villages are only fifty or sixty years old. That's a short time in a pre-internet society. They still haven't fully adjusted their expectations of what a chuunin is. I doubt most people who don't work in a support capacity give the matter more than a second's thought before saying, "But you can't just give a genin chuunin rank."

Especially not if the rank means they can order other genin around. Probably some sentiment of, "Should we really give some support person the authority to order around other people when they aren't fit for general field duties? A chunin should be well rounded!"

Or something like that. Possibly chaffed egos over some possibilities. Like active military being given orders by desk jockies. And god forbid being given the rank of jounin or special jounin with authority over other chunin. Probably digs at, "How do we know they won't wuss out if something goes wrong and their nerve breaks because they're not used to XXX." Bullshit, maybe, but you see how it goes.

Silversun17 said:
oh god damn it. we need to petition the hokage to overrule that committee or at least provide a different means of advancement. risking your doctors and nurses like this is fucking stupid.
They aren't nurses in this case; they're file clerks. Lots of people at hospitals don't do anything of a directly medical nature, because a hospital is a large, underfunded and unwieldy organization held together by force of will and the hard work of hundreds of people.

A hospital medic-nin can make chuunin easily enough, by serving as support on a few field missions (mostly B-ranks) where they're well to the rear. So what are they complaining about? It's not like they actually have to fight.

FurikoMaru said:
They aren't nurses in this case; they're file clerks. Lots of people at hospitals don't do anything of a directly medical nature, because a hospital is a large, underfunded and unwieldy organization held together by force of will and the hard work of hundreds of people.

A hospital medic-nin can make chuunin easily enough, by serving as support on a few field missions (mostly B-ranks) where they're well to the rear. So what are they complaining about? It's not like they actually have to fight.

wait, they are clerks rather than medics?

what do they need to be giving order for?

a desk-worker genin should be taking orders from a chunin.

iamnuff said:

they have to be chunin because some badly written rule is requiring chunin for certain duties and no normal chunin will do the work.

iamnuff said:

First of all, you can't give a genin full clearance and privileges when it comes to confidential medical files - general-confidential ones, sure, but not ones to do with the treatment of kekkei genkai and clan heads and stuff. This means you need someone to oversee their work, who can be given full clearance within reason.

Second of all, have you never been in an office setting? Of course middle-management needs the authority to give orders to the underlings.

FurikoMaru said:
Breaking Benjamin

FurikoMaru said:
Gai hands the collar over. "Keep it well concealed. If asked, inform people that I confiscated it."
Huh.
No protest.
Yet more evidence Gai regards us as responsible.
I think we have his vote for chuunin.

FurikoMaru said:
Ooh, someone's gonna get it.
Not necessarily.
There is a better than even chance that Ami is plotting behind our back after all.

FurikoMaru said:
You're almost back when you hear Sakura scream, "SAYURI-SAN!"
Is it odd that Sakura still uses honorifics even in distress?

FurikoMaru said:
That... that used to be her legs, didn't it?
Those Ino, not that; get your grammar right.
Besides, the fact that they're still present means that they might be fixable.

FurikoMaru said:
She's got her family waiting for her. What are they going to do? Is she going to be-
*checks*
Ah.
I was mixing the girls up for a while there.

FurikoMaru said:
You know before you're even in the room what the basic lay of the land is. The Konoha-nin are, to varying degrees, angry; Kuyo is apologizing but seems to be more disappointed than anything else; Deidara's probably pulling that soccer-mom routine again, from the sound of things; Ira is trying very hard not to lose his temper; Kibi is upset but probably not making much of a fuss out loud. The Mist nin have apparently left already.
Yeah.
I think Kuyo tried to imitate us, and miscalculated badly; hence her disappointment, and Ira's anger.
The fact that she is feeling mostly disappointment does indicate that she's been imprinting on Deidara a little too hard.

Probably not making chuunin then, if her judgement is that bad.
FurikoMaru said:
Temari is about how you expected; a bit shaken, but bearing neither good or ill will - for Kuyo or Sayuri. But her brothers are another story.
Well. At least now I know Gaara won't maim me and call it good. That's comforting, I guess.
Huh.
Something to discuss with Asuma I guess.

FurikoMaru said:
When you enter the examination hall, you go to
Who you go to decides which direction this goes.
Going to Sakura suggests we might possibly talk her down; given that she is going into the ring with Hinata, it might keep force levels reasonable. Angry people tend to overreact after all.

Sound would mean talking Deidara down again, and possibly Kuyo; it would also possibly cause us problems with Team Nurse.
But if we're good at it, we could defuse possible bad blood before it has time to fester.
Given Deidara's behavior, I'm unsure about how she regards morality.

Sand is diplomacy, period.

Hinata would mean talking her up for the exam; then again, she does have Choji/Shikamaru with her, and her summon.

Asuma would be a straight brief/debrief.

QUESTION
What does the examination hall look like? Any fresh explosive damage?
How extensive was the damage to Sayuri's legs? Lower legs? Upper? Bone damage?
FurikoMaru said:
Second of all, have you never been in an office setting? Of course middle-management needs the authority to give orders to the underlings.
You did say the village was young, so odds are they're still feeling their way into things.
But it should be clear that there's no correlation between trustworthiness and combat experience.
At worst they could create a non-command ranking for non-combat duties.
Because really, a great manager is worth about as much as an S-class nin, and good medics are too precious to risk unnecessarily.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back