• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Cosmos Quest (Naruto/Lupin III)

FurikoMaru said:

[3] Sakura. (Selias, The Nobody, iamnuff)

[2] Hinata - by process of elimination, her match with Sakura is next. (Redon, delwgun)

[5] Asuma. (Jack Trade, Hymn of Ragnarok, Unclouded, uju32, nightblade)

[X] Sakura.
And,
[X] Hinata - by process of elimination, her match with Sakura is next. (Guile)

Not sure what Guile's would be under but that's what he voted.

Last edited by a moderator:
uju32 said:
Really? No thanks.This is a koto
Koto_(sou)-overview.jpeg

Not very portable, especially for a girl with Strength 0.9.
Besides, I wanna keep Ranton under wraps for as long as possible.
Wait, I thought a Koto was what the Yoshida brothers played?

[/isn't up to date on japanese instruments]
[/also, missed this the first time around]

Vindictus said:
Wait, I thought a Koto was what the Yoshida brothers played?

[/isn't up to date on japanese instruments]
[/also, missed this the first time around]
Nope. The Yoshida Bros play the shamisen primarily, though I believe they know a little bit about all classical Japanese instruments.

Darn.

We chose the completely wrong instrument, then.

I had this image of dueling banjos crossed with a rock-off, possibly having us play one of the Yoshida Bro's more metal-ish tunes, or even a remix via ningenjutsu, but instead we have... Well. A cumbersome problem, rather then a potential weapon of awesome.

Huh, you've been missing a relatively common topic then Vin.

Yeah, it's not very portable. It's one of the flaws with it. On the other hand, it's still essentially an ancestral chakra tool from our mother so....honestly, it's not like we would have been in a position to get better even if we had the option to pick a different instrument. And I don't think we did.

I thought the portability issue was 'What kind of ninja runs around with a guitar/banjo thingy strapped to their back'. Not 'Hey, let's drag a fucking piano around with us!'

Hence why I've ignored that argument with some mild bemusement for the most part.

Vindictus said:
I thought the portability issue was 'What kind of ninja runs around with a guitar/banjo thingy strapped to their back'. Not 'Hey, let's drag a fucking piano around with us!'
Hence why I've ignored that argument with some mild bemusement for the most part.
If the Harpists were able to weaponise a guqin in Kung Fu Hustle, we can weaponise a koto.
Should we so choose.
Besides, Lee uses seals(I think) on his weights; we can certainly whip something up for a koto to handle weight and storage.

Storage was never an issue. It's more the fact that we'd have to place it on the ground.

Cause c'mon, even if we were of a mind to try and run around with it, we are way too weak to pull it off with anything resembling grace.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Storage was never an issue. It's more the fact that we'd have to place it on the ground.
Cause c'mon, even if we were of a mind to try and run around with it, we are way too weak to pull it off with anything resembling grace.
Strength will come with age; we're a 12 year old(almost 13), with strength to match.
I suspect we'll match Kurenai for build when we hit our full growth.
In the meantime: seals.
Because if Lee can somehow fit ground cratering weights around his ankles, we can lighten a custom koto for travel.
FurikoMaru said:
That scene is why I brought in the koto subplot in the first place.
Thought so.
Especially given that one of Ino's affinities is for Wind.

uju32 said:
Strength will come with age; we're a 12 year old(almost 13), with strength to match.

Not a help now, and we're still amongst the weakest genin in our age bracket. Which is saying something.

In the meantime: seals.
Because if Lee can somehow fit ground cratering weights around his ankles, we can lighten a custom koto for travel.

Don't bet on that. The koto is practically a masterpiece and we need to keep its potential and functions intact, which would make weaving in other seals without compromising it may prove difficult or even impossible depending on how strict Furiko decides to be.

Sealing it away, piece of cake. Lightening it so it retains functions while actually using it, much different.

[X] Mother, mother... there's too many of you cryin'...

"What's the situation?" you ask your teacher in a low voice.

"The Sound girl misjudged Sayuri's speed and resilience based on the data points provided by the rest of your fights and the fact that she made it through the forest." Asuma's tone isn't accusatory, but it's obvious that he knows or at least suspects what you did. "She threw out a diversionary tag that a normal genin would have leapt away from, right into a trap, but Sayuri hit it head-on."

"I'm sorry, sensei; I promise my next fight will go better," you hear Kuyo say.

... it's my fault.

Lupin sighs. ... yeah. It is. I could tell you Sayuri is a grown woman and she's responsible for her own decisions, but we both know you wouldn't believe me. But Ino, a lot of things are going to be your fault sooner or later. That's just part of being an adult. So if you really want to be a ninja, you're going to have to get used to feeling guilty.

You bite your lip. ... I guess it's better I helped her get through the Forest, in a way. I mean, here she can get full medical treatment; out there she could have died.

There's a feeling like a pat on the back. Yeah. There's that at least.

We're still going to kick Kuyo's ass, though, right?

I~ think we're gonna hafta wait in line on that one.

Ho, yeah, no shit, where did a clerk get killing intent like that?

Ever tried to take out a library book with late fees outstanding?

No, why?

Don't.

"What made Sayuri-san think she could take her?" you ask.

"I don't think she did," Asuma replies, eyes on Sakura.

... aw, geez. She pulled a momkra manoeuvre, didn't she? You glance at Hinata, who seems to be having a whispered conversation with her summon. Thought that if she managed to get through Sakura wouldn't have to fight a taijutsu-queen.

"Hyuuga Hinata vs Haruno Sakura!"

"I concede!" Hinata says in a loud, clear voice.

"The preliminaries are hereby at an end," the proctor says, sounding slightly relieved. "We'll be drawing up the bracket for the finals now, and after that you'll be free to leave."

Sakura's chakra reminds you of the time you accidentally pushed Menka into the pond in the backyard. Shock, slowly melting into impotent anger and shame. She stalks out of the room, not looking at anyone.

[X] Go after her, see if you can give her someone to vent to.

[X] Ho, fuck that, she clearly wants to be alone.

[X] Oi, what about Hinata? You know, your actual friend? The girl who's really sad and disappointed right now?

Tch. Called what happened to Sayuri.

And....wow, did not expect Hinata to just concede like that. I just plain did not see it coming. Huh. Although on reflection it's less OoC and more didn't realize one of team clerk would need to get through and Hinata was willing to take a bullet and....well, I pretty much never consider throwing in the towel once committed.

And now Furiko is momkraing us.

FurikoMaru said:
[X] Mother, mother... there's too many of you cryin'...
Marvin Gaye - What's Going On.

FurikoMaru said:
"What's the situation?" you ask your teacher in a low voice.
Well shit.
I can see where she would expect that, from Tenten's Determinator play to Ami's burn the roof down thing.
No malice, just one of the hazards of letting kids play with live weapons.
Still gonna cost her a chuunin jacket.

Given that comment about expecting toughness, there seems to be something very similar to Nasuverse Reinforcement going on with chakra in this AU.
FurikoMaru said:
"What made Sayuri-san think she could take her?" you ask.
Ah.
She threw herself on the explosive tag.
Survivor's guilt is gonna be harsh on her, and she has buckled under presssure before.
Yup, she's gonna need a talk.

FurikoMaru said:
[X] Oi, what about Hinata? You know, your actual friend? The girl who's really sad and disappointed right now?
Hinata first.
Given what Choji has told us about her motivation, it's probably a good idea to talk to her now.
Even if she does have an Eldritch Abomination telling her all is fine.
We do know where to find Sakura later.
And we need to hear our next opponent.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
And....wow, did not expect Hinata to just concede like that. I just plain did not see it coming. Huh. Although on reflection it's less OoC and more didn't realize one of team clerk would need to get through and Hinata was willing to take a bullet and....well, I pretty much never consider throwing in the towel once committed.
And now Furiko is momkraing us.
Guess all that work on getting Hinata to grow a spine paid off.
Rebellious Princess, yo.

Survivor's Guilt nothing, Sakura's essentially coasted into the finals on charity, luck, and pity.

I'm gonna be entirely honest, Sakura really does not deserve to be there. I'm sure Furiko's gonna have Sakura pull out some big badass moment that vindicates Sakura and her personal plot arc to prove herself or something instead of getting chumped on an international stage, but seriously, going by her displayed performance that we're aware of Sakura did not deserve the free ride she got.

And since I'm getting, "Why didn't you people pick Hinata vibes," what with only Hinata's line being the only one to get more than a name to it, I'd just like to point out that the past posts didn't have a single bit about Hinata's emotions save for her presumably being one of the Konoha ninja with varying intensities of anger. For a girl that's sad and disappointed this is the first we've heard about it.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Survivor's Guilt nothing, Sakura's essentially coasted into the finals on charity, luck, and pity.

I'm gonna be entirely honest, Sakura really does not deserve to be there. I'm sure Furiko's gonna have Sakura pull out some big badass moment that vindicates Sakura and her personal plot arc to prove herself or something instead of getting chumped on an international stage, but seriously, going by her displayed performance that we're aware of Sakura did not deserve the free ride she got.
Oh, you're absolutely correct. She doesn't deserve it.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
And since I'm getting, "Why didn't you people pick Hinata vibes," what with only Hinata's line being the only one to get more than a name to it, I'd just like to point out that the past posts didn't have a single bit about Hinata's emotions save for her presumably being one of the Konoha ninja with varying intensities of anger. For a girl that's sad and disappointed this is the first we've heard about it.
That was not my intention and I'm sorry that it looks that way. She's only upset now because she came to the decision to drop out.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Did Choji?
Hell, did Temari?
Luck does play a role, and making it to the finals does not guarantee a promotion.

EDIT And I'm not picking up those vibes you mentioned.
Then again, I have been known to be socially obtuse....

FurikoMaru said:
Oh, you're absolutely correct. She doesn't deserve it.

Sakura knows it too.

And every single chuunin once-hopeful is going to look at her and think, "Why did you deserve that more than me?"

Especially Sasuke. Hell, if Sasuke's team had been in the exam the Team Clerk wouldn't have even been the beneficiary of our pity.

You know I realize Ami is probably gonna be Sakura's match-up (although airing literal pre-teen Academy drama in front of an audience would be humiliating) but a sick part of me kinda wants Sakura's opponent to be Gaara. No chance of a come from behind victory, just Gaara. You're screwed girl. You came this far on luck alone and now all the luck in the world couldn't win you this match against an S-Rank opponent with a very important reason to win.

That was not my intention and I'm sorry that it looks that way. She's only upset now because she came to the decision to drop out.

Huh. Well, I guess Hinata's gonna live with the consequences and oh there will be many. Maybe we could have talked her out of it but God is literally her co-pilot and I somehow doubt Ino would give more spiritually satisfying advice.

uju32 said:

More than Sakura. Choji reverse-summoned himself despite considerable risk to improve his chances. His opponent opted to drop out rather than face him. He didn't have to work as hard as others but he earned it more than Sakura.

She wasn't handed a scroll from the start so probably. And if not, does anyone really doubt she could have beaten or put up a good fight against everyone in the room? Anko touted her as a top contender.

Compared to Sakura, who in a real fight was almost hopelessly screwed against almost everyone in the room and almost certainly would have been weeded out in the Forest of Death if not given a freebie....yeah, Sakura doesn't deserve it. We were being nice to them, but we questioned from the start whether giving them a leg up was the right thing to do.

Luck does play a role, and making it to the finals does not guarantee a promotion.

*points to Furiko's post*

Bros before hos.

->[X] Send Menka or another discreetly summoned cat after Sakura to keep an eye on her.

No question in my mind. Sakura has a lot of questions she needs to answer for herself. We however need to comfort our friend for taking a dive for a relative stranger.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Sakura knows it too.

And every single chuunin once-hopeful is going to look at her and think, "Why did you deserve that more than me?"

Especially Sasuke. Hell, if Sasuke's team had been in the exam the Team Clerk wouldn't have even been the beneficiary of our pity.

You know I realize Ami is probably gonna be Sakura's match-up (although airing literal pre-teen Academy drama in front of an audience would be humiliating) but a sick part of me kinda wants Sakura's opponent to be Gaara. No chance of a come from behind victory, just Gaara. You're screwed girl. You came this far on luck alone and now all the luck in the world couldn't win you this match against an S-Rank opponent with a very important reason to win.
Hymn, you say this like this isn't the exact same situation everyone else in the exam would be in if they pull Gaara.

Someone really should keep an eye on her during the break to make sure she doesn't kill herself training. People do crazy things when their teammate pulls a momkra sacrifice to get them an opportunity and they're likely to get chumped despite that.

Guile said:
Hymn, you say this like this isn't the exact same situation everyone else in the exam would be in if they pull Gaara.

Someone really should keep an eye on her during the break to make sure she doesn't kill herself training. People do crazy things when their teammate pulls a momkra sacrifice to get them an opportunity and they're likely to get chumped despite that.

Shoot that just gave me an idea. Send Menka after Sakura to keep an eye on her. Discreet and kitties are always comforting in times of distress.

Guile said:

Did I?

Well, everyone worried about Suigetsu, Ino has some potential too. Sakura drawing his number just has darker irony to it.

Yup. But her jounin sensei didn't even care enough to show up and who has she got to help train her?

She in a bad place.

Hymn of Ragnarok said:
Yup. But her jounin sensei didn't even care enough to show up and who has she got to help train her?

She in a bad place.
She has a jounin sensei?

EDIT: Oh, I'm sure a crazy and desperate genin with too much book smarts and too little common sense could manage something spectacularly dangerous. I mean, it took us like 2 minutes to teach Hinata and Chouji reverse-summoning, and that's not even all that crazy, comparatively.

Guile said:
She has a jounin sensei?

Eh, hospital admin. Guess rank unknown, but likely not very helpful and just sponsoring them as a formality.

EDIT: Oh, I'm sure a crazy and desperate genin with too much book smarts and too little common sense could manage something spectacularly dangerous. I mean, it took us like 2 minutes to teach Hinata and Chouji reverse-summoning, and that's not even all that crazy, comparatively.

I did mention that I was sure Furiko would have Sakura do something badass and vindicate/complete her personal story arc instead of getting punked like a bitch. I'm sure something will come up. Otherwise why have Sakura show up at all and take screentime?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back