1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Fic recommendation/update Thread

Discussion in 'CW Index' started by Biigoh, Mar 30, 2013.

1. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Honestly, I'm not sure that he even reads the reviews.

2. ward201

ward201 he/him

New chapter from nobody103

Mother of Learning
    Chapter 21

Words: 139,551
    Rated: T
    Genre: Adventure/Mystery

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/2961893/21/Mother-of-Learning

Zorian, a mage in training, only wanted to finish his education in peace. Now he struggles to find answers as he finds himself repeatedly reliving the same month. 'Groundhog's day' style setup in a fantasy world.

3. kinglugia

kinglugia A Randy Avian

Fairy Tail
    When Dudley throws a book at his cousin's head, no one could have known the revolution it would spark in the years to come. "I want to start my own Guild! My own family!". No pairing.
    Rated: Fiction K+ - English - Adventure/Friendship - Harry P., Hermione G., Draco M., Neville L. - Chapters: 11 - Words: 53,150 - Reviews: 838 - Favs: 1,558 - Follows: 1,659 - Updated: Nov 25 - Published: Aug 15 - id: 9596404

One of the few good Harry Potter Fairy Tail crossovers.

4. Master of Squirrel-fu

Master of Squirrel-fu The Original

Diaries of a Madman
    Category: Ponies~
    Rating: M. Beware the Clop.
    Capt.: 105
    Words: 1,355,869

Summery: When Discord breaks free of his stone prison, he proves to be much older and wiser than he was on the show. A being of ancient and unimaginable power, he forces Celestia to make a deal with the devil-himself, of course-in order to save her little ponies. What she doesn't realize is that one of the terms of the deal is that she forgets ever making. Enter the poor human hero.

Yeah this one is fucking long. It's actually a pretty good story, and while it features Clop (something I dislike even when not featuring ponies) the author is kind enough to put a warning right before and way to skip. That said it's pretty damn good, you watch what happens when you toss a morally ambiguous human into pony land. Here's a hint, it doesn't end well. That's not to say it's an angsty dark grimderp story but it can get pretty fucked up at times. It's worth a quick looksy at least. A word of advice if you continue; read the clop, not because it's good but because it usually helps in developing the characters and to avoid confusion when things are referenced.

5. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Fantastic! I never check that site because this is literally the only fic on it I read.

Now, so that my post isn't wasted...

To Ride Upon Svadilfari
    Evil Is A Relative Term

Words: 66,799
    Rating: T

For two wizards thrown out of their own world and into another Earth populated by superheroes and gods, it looks to be a treacherous ride as they attempt to return home again. But when has the impossible ever stopped Hermione Granger and Harry Potter?

Evil has done some very good Naruto and Harry Potter fanfic before. Very solid writing. The only thing to keep in mind is that these are a pair of... Marveled up Harry and Hermione, is the best way I can put it. They're altered a fair bit from the original canon versions, and although I think they're still recognizable they won't be to everyone's tastes.

6. enthalpy

enthalpy 大幻梦森罗万象狂气断罪眼!

New chapter from sparrowette,

How to Think Without Thinking
    Chapter 2: Chapter 2

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/9970278/2/How-to-Think-Without-Thinking

Naruto

Words: 5,090
    Genre: Humor/Friendship
    Rated: K

Summary: Reacting swiftly in odd situations is something Naruto has always been good at. But now Akatsuki is finally making a move, Naruto has a promise to keep and a promotion to earn, Karin insist he start procreating preferably yesterday and Jiraiya has left him alone again. You would think the Sannin would have learned something from the first time he did just that.

7. Hymn of Ragnarok

Hymn of Ragnarok Well worn.

Title: Subject 014
    Category: Anime/Manga » Naruto
    Author: JellyfishBlues
    Language: English, Rating: Rated: T
    Genre: Adventure/Humor
    Published: 12-17-10, Updated: 07-22-11
    Chapters: 10, Words: 60,764

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/7712904/2/Compilation

Synopsis: Very few of Orochimaru's experiments have ever gone as poorly as Subject 014. Anko, who finds / is found by the experiment in the catacombs of one of his most recent laboratories, disagrees... She's about the only one, though. - FemNaruto -

Synopsis taken from TV Tropes, since the original fic was taken down and put in a compilation story.

I....I just....I have no words. It has been a long, long time since I have read this fic, and I am once again howling with laughter.

It's cracky. It's very cracky. It is also one of the funniest things I've ever read, bar none. The writing is solid, the story is witty, the humor is gut busting. Kakashi becomes more and more trollish to the point of flanderization, and yet I don't mind at all because he is a walking CMoF that one-ups himself. I'm not even sure troll is the right word to describe him at this point. He seems to suffer from his own antics about as much as everyone else suffers from his.

Anko and Naruto are certainly no slouches either. In any regard. No scene goes by without making me chuckle at least a few times, and usually more. And they are capable of being pretty darned cute at times. While Kakashi may be a walking talking personification of troll, Anko is decently fleshed out. It makes her perspectives more interesting, although they never stop being funny.

If you want something funny, take a read. You may need to have a taste for the style of humor here, but if you can get into it, you'll have many hours of laughs to enjoy.

I wish I could write a description or review doing it proper justice, but I'm still halfway through my reread and I'm going back to that.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2014
  8. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Tabula Avatar, by Speakertocustomers.

When Warren, Andrew, and Jonathan steal the gang's memories, they upload them into Baldur's Gate 2. Because Dawn is The Key, the game starts becoming more "real." In the Stargate crossovers, it's even shown that Toril has become a real planet. Also, Giles becomes a Bard, and uses music from their world to cast spells (which I thought was pretty cool).

9. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Beyone the Outer Gate Lies by Gabriel Blessing.
    Harry Dresden is fighting He Who Walks Behind, outside of the Outer Gates, defeats it, and has to run when Great Red shows up. He ends up as a teenager in the High School DxD universe. He does not end up as a devil (though he might, in the future).

10. Guile

Man, Gabe writes the WEIRDEST crossovers.

Least Devotee likes this.
  11. Selias

Selias Well worn.

I know, right?

12. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

Holy shit. Something that didn't have any update in more than... 5 years at least UPDATED!

A Village Hidden In Hope by Marz1
    Naruto/Star Wars

First chapter
    Latest chapter

Naruto botches his first attempt to summon and ends up in a land without Ninja. Now a bunch of monks called Jedi think he's up to no good, the only way home may require the Darkside aka the Fox, and home may no longer be there.

I remember reading this many years ago... It was interesting and fun, but had no updates.

I'm still in shock that the author finally updated it.

13. Jans

Jans That which smiles.

*Cackles Wildly*

YES! This story! If you guys take anything from this thread it should be this story. Seriously, I've almost hurt myself laughing on a re-read of this. The first time... I think I actually had to put it down a few times from laughing so hard.

EDIT: In return, this: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/5001646/1/Nothing-but-Trouble

Mister Cynical is an angry, angry drunk of an author who decided Naruto needs more curb-stomps while maintaining some bit of plausible plot and setting. Its finished gasp! and a really good read.

14. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Memories of Iron by becuzitswrong.

Taylor Hebert always triggered because of the bullying of classmates and a former friend. Here, instead of triggering, a cosmic entity gifts her with the memories of a man as talented as he was tormented. One who accomplished amazing things in his life. Now Taylor has the opportunity to use that knowledge to save her world. First, she'll need to save her own sanity.
    Crossover - Ironman & Worm - Rated: T - English - Adventure - Chapters: 12 - Words: 61,832 - Reviews: 346 - Favs: 332 - Follows: 372 - Updated: 6h ago - Published: Mar 30 - A. E. Stark/Tony, Skitter

Basically, Taylor gets all of Tony's knowledge and memories, which causes some problems with his memories overly influencing her, and starts using his technology to try and make her world a better place. Good fic.

15. Himura

Himura IRL Enthusiast

So Taylor gains the dreaded Tinker powers?

16. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Ehhh... basically. She's not actually a Tinker, but it's functionally the same. It's kind of wanky, but it's well-written, and I enjoy it. Others might not, though.

17. Guile

18. Biigoh

Biigoh Primordial Tanuki Moderator

It's okay... if you know, you don't mind Piggot, Armsmasters being complete idiots. Also Dragon... just Dragon -_-

19. Selias

Selias Well worn.

Inevitable was updated. Last chapters are up. Unfortunately, it looks like Mhalachai won't be continuing it. Of course, that's not much a surprise, since it was dead for years before being finished. Still, kind of nice to get a bit of closure for this fic.

Harry goes back to St. Louis with Anita and Jason.

He waits for Dumbledore to let him know he could come back to Hogwarts.

Meanwhile, he's in touch with Hermione's parents and Tonks' Dad (who's muggle) and pretty much everyone he can think of. He just wants to know everyone's okay, you know?

So he'd living in Anita's house and it's getting on his nerves and Richard wants him to go to high school and one day he just snaps and gets on a train to Chicago because fuck it, you know? And he spends like a day there dicking around until he finally breaks down and calls Damian and they talk for the first time, really.

He spends the night at the train station and the next morning he wakes up to find Jason lounging at his side.

They go back to St. Louis and Harry moved into the furnished apartment over Anita’s garage and starts thinking about what he’s going to do with his life.

John Cassidy (that American Auror dude) shows up and suggests that Harry enter the American Auror training because he’s probably not going home, and Harry brushes him off but what else is he going to do? Richard, quite rightly, points out that Harry’s like seventeen and says he can go to school like a normal person and maybe do college and then Jason points out that he’s a smart kid who might still want to look into that wolf pack Vargamour thing (pack witch etc).

And Harry still thinks maybe he can go home but then Remus shows up with Tonks (with the news that they’re getting married and Harry’s like WTF but OK) and Remus tells Harry the real score, how Scrimgeour is consolidating power on Voldemort’s death and there’s this massive power struggle between him and Dumbledore and it wouldn’t help anyone if Harry showed up, especially given that whole necromancy thing Anita pulled. And Harry is crushed. Devastated. All the things you can think to be sad, that’s Harry.

(And Remus has an encounter with Richard which is just awkward (remember how Richard and all the wolves were shocked that Remus didn’t have a pack?) And Remus sees the pack and wonders how much he’s been missing out on, being a wizard werewolf.

So anyway Harry gets Tonks alone and they talk about the American Aurors and school and things and Tonks is really blunt about what it’s like being an Auror and when Harry says he might be able to go to college and do stuff she’s all wistful (cuz she’s like 25 remember) because learning is cool. And she tells him that he has to do what he wants, not what anyone else wants.

In the meantime, Asher is moping around St. Louis because Harry’s back in town. And Meng Die is lurking around Harry because she’s a creeper.

As Harry’s trying to figure out what to do, guess who shows up? Hedwig that’s who! She’s got a bunch of letters for him from home. Hermione and Ron and the twins and kids from school. Luna sent him a packet of pictures of the Castle and rebuilding, with only one line of text, I am so glad we could be friends. Harry freaks over this a bit until he reads Ginny’s letter, that Luna was having a hard time after the battle at Hogwarts, but she’s getting better, that she misses Harry and so does Ginny and it’s just so fucking hard, Charlie is dead and mom still isn’t there. She understands why Harry can’t come back but it sucks and she hates it and she hopes he’s okay.

And Harry lies on the floor for a few hours being understandably sad and angry, that he’s been cast away by a world that used him to kill a man they were all scared of.

Then Jason and Nathaniel show up and ask him if he wants to go to a movie or grab a pizza or take a painting class or something and Harry freaks out and that’s okay, there’s just a big group hug and Jason points out that there’s tomorrow, and the days after that, and for a while Harry just stays angry and gets Richard to set up him for muggle tutoring so he can get into college and he tells John Cassidy to shove American Auror training up his ass, and he tags along with Anita on zombie jobs and she starts telling him what he has to do to be a federal marshal and he points out on a daily basis that he’s not the male version of Anita Blake and Jean Claude hears this and just spends an eternity rolling his lovely blue eyes at those two idiots.

And Harry learns what it’s like to be a real boy just tries to figure out what his life can be, when it’s his own.

Ta'veren
    By: Geralt
    When Rand was 13, Lews started manifesting in the boy's dreams, passing on to him the knowledge of how to control his Ta'veren ability. Seven years later, Moiraine arrived to find Two Rivers a very different place from what it was supposed to be.
    Rated: Fiction T - English - Fantasy/Adventure - Chapters: 6 - Words: 76,304 - Reviews: 420 - Favs: 585 - Follows: 624 - Updated: 5h ago - Published: Dec 11, 2011 - id: 7628608

20. ward201

ward201 he/him

https://www.fictionpress.com/s/3198066/1/

Fimbulwinter
    By: ShaperV
    Summoned to a world in the midst of apocalypse, Daniel Black would have his hands full just staying alive. Add in refugees, desperate soldiers, scheming nobles and a pair of thoroughly wicked witches that he's sworn to protect, and life is going to be very busy indeed. Good thing he has magic of his own to even the scales. But will even that be enough?
    Rated: Fiction M - English - Adventure/Fantasy - Words: 6,139 - Published: 8m ago - id: 3198066

21. Ubylkoen

Ubylkoen Not Ganondorf.

I counter this with the first Dresden Files/Highschool DxD crossover.
    Devil You Know by Surarrin.
    My day had started on a down note. First Elaine had been sick, then I found out my mentor wanted to shove me in a straitjacket. It shouldn't have been a surprise when I died. But, nothing could have prepared me for my life being saved by a devil—or becoming one myself. Still, the magical girl was the biggest surprise.

I prefer this one to Blessings story, it may be because this story is a full universe merge compared to Blessings insert character A into universe B formula.

wellis likes this.
  22. Guile

I prefer Blessings's take on the matter. Mostly because the tone feels very inconsistent in Surarrin's work.

I just killed my father! But he'd mind-raped Elaine! I became a monster! Well, it's not so bad. In fact, boobies!

Least Devotee likes this.
  23. John At Dawn

John At Dawn Seeker of Answers

Implying Gabe doesn't do that too.

The thing that bugs me about Devil you know is this: What's Akeno's problem with Harry? I understand her original reaction to seeing his shadow, but after that, what the hell?

24. Megaolix

Megaolix Moderator

He disrespect Rias. Considering how close Rias and Akeno are, Akeno will hate Harry just for that.

25. John At Dawn

No, even before that, she was at his throat.

And that event in particular pissed me off, because when you think about it, Rias insisting on being called a specific title makes no sense when she has said before that she hates being known only as her title of the Gremory heir.

26. touhou ranfuku

touhou ranfuku Versed in the lewd.

OOC, the best reason to explain it all, like how that fairy tail dragon slayer makes everyone OOC in order to glorify his Self-Insert.

27. John At Dawn

I would be a lot more willing to blame that if anyone else was acting OOC, but as far as I can tell, they aren't.

28. ward201

ward201 he/him

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8492663/21/Naruto-Catches-a-Goblin

29. Selias

Selias Well worn.

I'm sorry, but that fic is complete shit. I'm honestly not sure why you recced it.

30. Red Sectoid

Red Sectoid Punmaster

That guys threeshot about Samus and Zelda is fucking adorable though