• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

Meanwhile, here in the northern usa it is 60 fahrenheit (15 C for you celcius users). Warm enough to wear short sleeves. In February. When it should be freezing.

Fuck you global warming, I want my snow back.

Stay warm dude, it sound cold where you are.
It depends on the part of the northern usa. Here we just got a bunch of snow and ice. Which used to be normal this time of year but we have been having some unseasonably warm winters the past few years. Afaik the temperature has been fluctuating wildly between moderate and freezing this year.

Meanwhile, here in the northern usa it is 60 fahrenheit (15 C for you celcius users). Warm enough to wear short sleeves. In February. When it should be freezing.

Fuck you global warming, I want my snow back.

Stay warm dude, it sound cold where you are.
Don't worry: The proper term, accounting for the complexity of the systems we're totally fucking up, is climate change. You'll probably get your apocalyptic snowstorm sooner or later.

And then idiots will go "so much for global warming!" at you.

It depends on the part of the northern usa. Here we just got a bunch of snow and ice. Which used to be normal this time of year but we have been having some unseasonably warm winters the past few years. Afaik the temperature has been fluctuating wildly between moderate and freezing this year.

And here in Southern California we have a blizzard warning.

All of the people trying that should be hung for idiocy.
Woah there pardner. Be careful, you might cut yourself on that edge.

I am considering installing Linux on my laptop and using it instead of Windows. Windows OS comes with a lot of bullshit I don't need or want. Also, from what I know, Linux is FAR more customizable than Windows. I am currently taking college classes for IT, and I learned about Linux through that. It piqued my interest.

If your looking for a linux distro (distribution) as daily driver then I would recommend Fedora if you want a "it just works right out of the box without too much tinkering" experience. It's the daily driver I'm running, and able to game on actually, without any problems bar a scarce few. Now you said you're in IT so I'll guess that you already know how the terminal works.
Funnily enough, Fedora is one of the linux distros I use for school assignments. I am familiar with it. And I (kinda) know how to use the terminal. Still learning basic commands. To clarify, I do NOT work in IT now. I work at a library, and help troubleshoot when I work the computer lab, but I don't work in IT.

Any other advice for a linux beginner? Feel free to use this as an excuse to nerd out. :)

Funnily enough, Fedora is one of the linux distros I use for school assignments. I am familiar with it. And I (kinda) know how to use the terminal. Still learning basic commands. To clarify, I do NOT work in IT now. I work at a library, and help troubleshoot when I work the computer lab, but I don't work in IT.

Any other advice for a linux beginner? Feel free to use this as an excuse to nerd out. :)
Oh, in that case. Here's some guides for The Command Line/Terminal, some Cool Commands. and —
  1. https://wiki.archlinux.org/
  2. https://wiki.gentoo.org/
If you run into a problem and need to troubleshoot or are wondering about a feature then use those wikis (most troubleshoots on those wikis work for all distros). Be sure to bookmark them!

If your more on the privacy-side then give me a DM. I got some resources that I can share.

If your looking for a linux distro (distribution) as daily driver then I would recommend Fedora if you want a "it just works right out of the box without too much tinkering" experience. It's the daily driver I'm running, and able to game on actually, without any problems bar a scarce few. Now you said you're in IT so I'll guess that you already know how the terminal works.

Ironically enough, Linux and its galaxy of applications are the only way to read some old Microsoft Office files, given how well the open source community seems to handle older file formats, and how poorly MS does the same.

Woah there pardner. Be careful, you might cut yourself on that edge.
Ok, I'll clarify.

90% of people that use tik-tok should be hung for idiocy.

I am considering installing Linux on my laptop and using it instead of Windows. Windows OS comes with a lot of bullshit I don't need or want. Also, from what I know, Linux is FAR more customizable than Windows. I am currently taking college classes for IT, and I learned about Linux through that. It piqued my interest.

... What does windows OS come with that you don't want or need and can't also just uninstall? I get using linux, I've used it myself extensively, I'm just confused.

The nice thing about being a lightweight is that you don't need much alcohol to get tipsy. Saves money.

I'm convinced that people on the underground will ignore a murder if it happens in front of them. A more apathetic bunch has never before existed on God's earth.

I'm convinced that people on the underground will ignore a murder if it happens in front of them. A more apathetic bunch has never before existed on God's earth.
Apathy implies they don't notice, or don't care. If they're anything like US Subway riders, we do. And we're going out of our way to ignore it, because in the Subway, you mind your own goddamn business.

Apathy implies they don't notice, or don't care. If they're anything like US Subway riders, we do. And we're going out of our way to ignore it, because in the Subway, you mind your own goddamn business.
And that was before smartphones, too. Now, phone screen zombification magnifies the effect, and most people are simply oblivious within their own little world.

And that was before smartphones, too. Now, phone screen zombification magnifies the effect, and most people are simply oblivious within their own little world.

I remember the subway before smartphones.

Everyone had a book or newspaper.

There was no major change.

I also remember going on the Paris metro and seeing a wino offering people free drinks. That was a difference.

Which is a good thing. Damn near nobody rides the Subway for fun; we just want to get where we're going. And we don't want some random schlub forcing ourselves into our lives because they were next to the only empty seat.

And in this magical world you live in, the hot people try and start conversations with you?
Sometimes. Though never on the subway, given that I've never actually been on the subway. But in other points in my life, yes.

From stories Tana's shared about his love/sex life, I think it would be more accurate to say that the crazy ones try and start conversations and sometimes they're also hot. :V
Not all of them were crazy.

... Just all the ones I ended up having sex with...

tdheex.gif

Don't worry: The proper term, accounting for the complexity of the systems we're totally fucking up, is climate change. You'll probably get your apocalyptic snowstorm sooner or later.

And then idiots will go "so much for global warming!" at you.
I was promised seaside property decades ago but it still takes over a dozen miles to get to the beach.

I still need to invest in off-shore plastic farming. And maybe should research what said plastic could be used for given how much plastic can't be recycled for some reason.

I'd ask why we use it for disposable containers but a bigger question is why does "Green Energy" use a lot of plastic? Especially with wind propellers being made out of an unrecyclable plastic that have to be replaced every decade. Not to mention how batteries require material mined in war-torn African countries... and Utah.

It's all part of the anti-nuclear conspiracy man.

It's all part of the anti-nuclear conspiracy man.
don't forget to give an f for the water-powered/fueled engine and motor researchers and developers.
they keep walking into nests of angry peanuts, mauled by wild animals in downtown parks, slipping and drowning in the toilets, hang around in their closets, etc.
smh, they really should get their shit together.

don't forget to give an f for the water-powered/fueled engine and motor researchers and developers.
they keep walking into nests of angry peanuts, mauled by wild animals in downtown parks, slipping and drowning in the toilets, hang around in their closets, etc.
Nests of angry peanuts?

Just like everyone who cures cancer.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back