• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

General chat thread

I'd take a spider over a bear any day now. I can kill the former by accident just by stepping on it.

It's not the ones you're awake for you need to worry about.

Seriously, why haven't you killed the bears off yet?

56bgte.jpg

That's what people in England and France did with wolves.

The french doing it is enough reason not to. :V

It's literally the most powerful country in history, in both absolute and relative terms. Last time a single realm dominated the world this much, Genghis Khan was in living memory.
goalposts.png

Americans =/= America. You were clearly talking about individual strength, not the strength of the military.

Mate, I don't know how to tell you this...but all countries are made out of individuals.

Australia doesn't have Grizzlies, Cougars, or Moose. You do.
And individuals forming groups is how anything large-scale is accomplished. And the individuals don't need to be that strong for the group to be effective.

Also, for your short list of threatening animals, I am disappointed you didn't mention wild boars. Those tend to be much more dangerous and actively aggressive, and are the ones that large swaths of the US are trying to kill off. And failing to do so.
Which are all objectively less destructive and disruptive to their environment than large mammals.

Like I like Australia I do, and objectively speaking if you dropped someone in the teton range without them knowing shit, and you dropped someone in southern queensland's outback with again not knowing what they're doing

both of them probably going to do die.

Like but in terms of the enviroment around you? Certain animals are going to fuck you up if you get a car crash with them, and that starts at the common whitetail deer. and a moose will fuck your corolla up
Well, yes, of course if you put someone somewhere they don't know how to survive, they will probably die. The weather or drinking from the wrong source can do people in. Many big animals will also avoid people, unless you deliberately approach them, act threatening, or they are a carnivore and are starving. Safety is never guaranteed, but most big animals won't bother you if you aren't threatening and they aren't hungry.

Americans =/= America. You were clearly talking about individual strength, not the strength of the military.
I think I know my thoughts better than you, mate.

Also, for your short list of threatening animals, I am disappointed you didn't mention wild boars. Those tend to be much more dangerous and actively aggressive, and are the ones that large swaths of the US are trying to kill off. And failing to do so.
I legit have no idea why you tolerate all these Grimm Tales horrors.

Still, at least boars can be eaten.

Still, at least boars can be eaten.
Uh, so can moose, bears, cougars, coyotes, wolves, and wild horses (among many others). All of them can be decent food. Most of them are just not common enough in addition to being dangerous to hunt or even approach. Or in the case of coyotes, are usually too small to be worth the effort of harvesting meat from.

Wild boars can be okay for food, but they are so dangerous it's never a main reason to hunt them. And domestic pigs are better, anyway.

Wild boars can be okay for food, but they are so dangerous it's never a main reason to hunt them. And domestic pigs are better, anyway.

It's kinda like the difference between tiny, wild corn cobs and the big, juicy domesticated version -- except wild corn doesn't travel in packs and can't gore you to death.

Domestication has done wonders for our dietary options.

Oh, look, Treble has no idea what he's talking about again. Must be a day ending with Y.
I legit have no idea why you tolerate all these Grimm Tales horrors.
Do you have the slightest idea how much killing off an apex predator fucks up the environment?
No, predators don't taste good. Or at least that's what my father told me, and he's got friends who are big on hunting.
Bears are omnivores, and most of their diet is plant-based.

Honestly? As far as animals go, North America's definitely the more dangerous in aggregate than Australia. Australia has a few really dangerous snakes and bugs, and then the emu...

North America has... let's see... Moose, bison, wolves, brown bears, meaner whiter brown bears, five of the top ten deadliest spiders (two of which are shared by Eurasia, two others in South America, two others in Africa, and Australia gets one)...

Australia has... Emus, which mostly leave humans alone, one of the deadliest spiders, and a handful of deadly marine life. Oh, right, and some toxic birds. But it's your fault for eating them.

South America- some bugs, a dangerous cat, some dangerous snakes, some crocodilians, and some really dangerous amphibians.

But, if you want the deadliest animals on Earth... you either want Africa or India.

Africa is mainly the disease-carrying bugs, but also the megafauna- you'd think it'd be lions or crocodiles, but no, they mostly leave us alone. Hippos, on the other hand... no chill. They are anti-chill. They're like honey badgers, if honey badgers were the size of a small car. Oh, right, and two of the top ten deadliest spiders.

India's claim to fame includes "the most effective human predator that we haven't driven extinct" (re: tigers), "the snake responsible for half of all fatal snake bites on Earth", "Both of those aforementioned Eurasian deadliest spiders", and "all the same deadly marine life as Australia". Also the occasional bison or buffalo attack.

But, yeah... overall, North America beats Australia. South America probably about ties North America. Africa outclasses all of us, and then India... How do humans even survive in India? Let alone so many.

But, yeah... overall, North America beats Australia. South America probably about ties North America. Africa outclasses all of us, and then India... How do humans even survive in India? Let alone so many.
We're a social species. Tigers like to approach from the back, and we watch each others' backs.

... Know what? I'm just going to pretend you guys realized I was joking and are running with it.

Do you have the slightest idea how much killing off an apex predator fucks up the environment?
Yeah, it creates lots of pasture for sheep. There's a reason the wolves were killed off.

India's claim to fame includes "the most effective human predator that we haven't driven extinct" (re: tigers),
Read Jim Corbett. He was a famous British hunter who made a career out of personally hunting down Man-Eaters. He even wrote some books on it.

....just shoot the bloody thing, mate. That's how you get venison.

People used to risk execution for the chance to hunt them, you know.

Hunting them in the forest =/= shooting them in a residential neighbourhood. The law takes a much dimmer view of using your neighbours houses as a backstop than bagging a deer out of season.

The law takes a much dimmer view of using your neighbours houses as a backstop than bagging a deer out of season.
Single offense for illegally shooting a deer? Mandatory 1200$ in fines, revocation of hunting license for a year (if you even have one), maybe partial suspension of your FOID- aka: you can still keep the guns you own, but can't legally use them or buy a new one for six months to a year.

But they probably won't hit you with anything more than the mandatory. Not for a deer, not if the population is high enough they're being driven into the suburbs.

Shoot the wrong bird, on the other hand, and you're up for a 100k fine and a year in prison. Do not fuck with America's birds. It's not as dumb as fucking with our boats, but it still won't be a good time for you.

Firing a gun toward a residence? Class E felony, D if the residence is currently occupied.

While these are the 'least' of felonies, they're still hefty. You will never legally own a gun again, probably lose the right to vote for a time, fines of up to 100,000$ and potentially up to five years in prison. And while there's some room for getting it removed from your permanent record, it's gonna be decades before you can do so.

And that's only the federal level. The state and city level governments usually have their own additional laws to bring down on you. Especially for gun crimes.

And god help you if you actually injure someone. Even hitting a neighbor's pet elevates this to a Class C felony. That's the same weight as rape and arson.

It seems that no matter the era, aristocrats don't want to let the commoners shoot some deer. :D

It seems that no matter the era, aristocrats don't want to let the commoners shoot some deer. :D
A hunting license isn't exactly an onerous expense. Chances are, you'll be spending more on the ammo than the permission.

It's mostly that the aristocrats don't want people to own guns and are looking for every excuse to limit access.

And the guy who just shot his neighbor's house is an easy target for obvious reasons.

No, predators don't taste good. Or at least that's what my father told me, and he's got friends who are big on hunting.
Some people like them well enough.

The actual problem with eating predators is that it's usually not economical; every time you go up a level in the food chain it takes more resources to feed an animal. It takes more than one pound of grass to make a pound of antelope, and it takes more than a pound of antelope to make a pound of lion.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back