1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

General World of Darkness Discussion Thread QQ Edition

Discussion in 'General' started by Maragas, Apr 7, 2021.

1. Repentant_Dragos

Repentant_Dragos Versed in the lewd.

Okay, I love how CofD/nWoD 2e treats Willpower except in the case of Vampires.

Sydonai likes this.
  2. Imabot

Imabot Connoisseur.

I think it's balanced by Losing dot of Humanity. So mass Embraces aren't possible. VtM was more lenient with cost of Embracing.

But I can see that low humanity and amcient vampires would never really have a problem with acquiring enough blood of other kindred to survive. Just open a farm.

Losing permanent dot of willpower xould be qick and simple rule that would made embrace more rare. Or maybe increase number of WP dots vvampire needs to spend depending on Humanity?

tem345 likes this.
  3. Sydonai

Sydonai Versed in the lewd.

This doesn't stop that in the slightest, just makes it harder for PCs to have Ghouls or Embrace anyone.

Step#1: Embrace random dumbass, blood-bond them into servitude before or after.
    Step#2: Force Embraced Dumbass into embracing others, until they reach Willpower1, then lock them into a coffin or whatever.
    Step#3: Make sure you have blood-bonded every person that Dumbass embraced individually, then repeat step#2.
    step#4: Force your small army of Willpower1 shovelheads to do whatever you want them to, not like they are capable of resisting at this point.

tem345, Ragura and Rakdos92 like this.
  4. Zsarnok

Zsarnok Know what you're doing yet?

Step 5: Figure out how to deal with all the fallout from said army constatnly falling into Frenzy.

Rakdos92 likes this.
  5. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

That plan is generally a sabbat thing or short term toolbwhere you herd them in the general direction of what you want dead and worry about cleanup later

6. Zsarnok

Sabbath is an OWoD thing, and the topic come up in a NWoD context.

Also mass embrances are posible with in Requiem, the Ordo dracul specifically created a Scale to enable it. I thing it branches off Coil of the Ascendant, but i did not open a Requiem book close to a year, so i am not certain.

7. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

"Whoops, my bad!" followed by giving them cement-shoes and dropping them in some river?

8. Zsarnok

If your clan does not have native way of escaping that(Vigor/Protean), it may solve half of the problem namely the berzerking vampire in supermode. The Other half, likely manifest itself as a less than friendly visit from Takforce: Valkyre and other Hunter conspirancies. (Asuming the accident is not public enought to get the Seers of the Throne on your ass).

Repentant_Dragos likes this.
  9. Maragas

Maragas Versed in the lewd.

To be honest, I had more fun with Earthblood and actually felt like I was playing a cliche but fun WTA Chronicle.

And I don't even think that game is good, only decent if you are a fan of WoD and mediocre if you aren't.

Swansong meanwhile is a...mediocre detective game wearing the clothes of VTM. And in this instance wearing the shoddily made hipster clothes of V5. Plus the only character I really liked was Galeb, who might not have the skills nor powers of an actual 300+ year old Elder but at least had the decency to think before speaking and not whine every two conversation.

Imabot, Sydonai and shadowdice like this.
  10. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

every emem section made me groan

Maragas likes this.
  11. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

Okay how bad is this game lore wise and character wise your definitely one of the experts of this setting so I'm curious what's your take on the whole thing.

Also separate point as someone who's only watch like the first 20 minutes or so is the fact that the little girl with the malk character a mental projection supposed to be obvious because I haven't gotten any deeper then that to confirm it but that's pretty fucking obvious that she's not real.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    Necrorifter likes this.
  12. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

I watched a few episodes of a playthrough and couldn’t take it due to the game style, animation, and such (though I might go through it just to save others as almost every review I find os trying to be nice)

the over hundred year old Emem is asking things like why someone would be blamed when it comes to responsibility (a toreador mind you) and is back talking all the older vampires like this isn’t how you end up on the receiving end of Press X to Dominate/Presence

A ghoul who knows about vampires and is about to be embraced is confused by her master having a childe that looks older than him. This being a ghoul which all the local Ventrue know about and are hoping joins the fold

Emem back talks a Malkavian for having visions and doesn’t believe those can come true when she is a HUMDRED YEAR OLD TOREADOR

the clan which is said to be siblings to the Malks and has a power which os I HAVE VISIONS to the point where she can start out with Auspex

if she were a neonate this would be forgivable, but…no

Part of the plot is also about the Boston Camarilla being screwed over by the London Camarilla because they are going with the “Everyone was fucked in London” idiocy

And they are confused and surprised by this being a thing

Emem: Why would ancient British vampires want to take over Boston?

other vampires: Because they are Ancient BRITISH VAMPIRES

with the little girl I am not sure I saw a scene where the Malk removed a stake from her heart so it might actually be a Malk that uses obfuscate

there is a character bio which lists the girl as being of a thicker Gen than her so it might actually be her sire

which would be a good twist

checked

She is her daughter who was embraced and drained her out of hunger

Last edited: May 30, 2022
    tem345, Ragura, Sydonai and 2 others like this.
  13. gereh

gereh I trust you know where the happy button is?

I always hate seeing child vampires, because I so far haven't seen anyone pull it off well. With their body (and brains) not developing past the age they are embraced they still would have the mental capacities of a child but hundreds of years of experience. Which is a unique combination, but I have either seen them played like literal childs or completely ignoring the whole "Brain hasn't finished developing" part and just use the child stature as a "shock factor".

Guess they could make her go full Malk crazy to avoid giving her a real character at all.

Ragura likes this.
  14. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

She seems to act like an actual child and is highly dependent on her mom

so literal child forever throwing tantrums and such

The kid’s sire is Leysha’s doctor and seems to run it as an experiment as he continuously mind wipes her and alter’s Leysha’s memories to the point that she doesn’t remember most of her past

the child vampire herself seems to be one of the doctor’s emotional levers on Leysha to manipulate her into doing what he wants and gaslighting her

tem345 and Ragura like this.
  15. gereh

Yeah the problem I have with child vampire played like that is "How the fuck nobody staked her and left her out for the sunrise yet?" I mean an impulsive non aging child that doesn't have any self control but has "superpowers". That's like a Masquerade Breach waiting to happen (and not once, like a breach once a every week). Somehow the Cam has a bloody heart for her and didn't kill her off? Or is she a "secret" nobody knows about (yeah as if)? Honestly any halfsane Vampire that knows his shit would go "Oh fuck" when seeing a child vamp and reach for the stake. I guess people just like the whole "innocent girl is secretly a monster" trope

16. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

I'm genuinely surprised when I saw her I genuinely figured she had to be because of malk madness and not actually real. Color me surprised.

Necrorifter likes this.
  17. Sinnerlust

Sinnerlust The bastard

I think the anime Mars red is one of the few to actually address that with suwa saying just kill them they can't survive without someone taking care of them, being a child vampire genuinely seems to suck. Like they really are just immortal kid's

tem345 and Necrorifter like this.
  18. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

she apparently dumped her points into obfuscate and auspex, and the sire has a habit of staking the two of them and leaving them in coffins for long periods of time while mentally conditioning them

so that and the prince wanting the set of malks around because she tries to interpret Leysha's visions and views the child as a good way to manipulate her emotionally (Be nice to kid, get kid to like her, leads to the mom confiding in the Prince more than the talk doctor. Which leads to the doctor trying to get rid of the kid, but the prince knows about the kid so she can use that against him and make the other malk go against him if that happens so it is two higher ups emotionally manipulating and using disciplines on people to get power)

the child isn't the camarilla higher ups having a "Bleeding Heart" but rather a "We have the mom over a barrel" situation

edit

also with Malkavians, their discipline set and fact that they can sometimes use powers on accident can result in things like people thinking that Dementation was being used when they start seeing a child walking around and chew them out for not having a grip on their hallucinations

tem345 and Sydonai like this.
  19. ses

ses Experienced.

Nicolai Antonescu is a child and the nearly 700 year old Regent of the Chicago Tremere from all the way back in 1st edition. Nothing wrong with him. Honestly this is a self-fixing problem. Their emotional stunting isn't going to be any worse than any given member of Clan Malkavian, and the Malks aren't on the receiving end of a cleansing. Either they survive their time as a neonate without getting got for masq violations or whatever, or they live long enough to get experience. I'd trust a child kindred that's lived to 3 digits over a random idiot neonate when it obeying the Traditions. Like, they occasionally get emotional flare-ups. There's multiple different clans that have clan curses that could be described as that (Brujah and Malkavian).

20. gereh

So Cam being stupid keeping a risk around because it's worth the rewards... Nothing new here

Who was a kid genius and was "developing early" (not sure if that is a term in english). Like a one in a billion case. So if I remember correctly he was more or less just "looking like a child" but not having any of the mental issues that he probably should have had.

But yes I would trust a 30 year child kindred over a Neonate, but there isn't like anyone I would trust less than a Neonate.

I have to be around a lot of children as part of a part time job, most of them can't be trusted not to hurt themself with a balloon (don't ask me how you can get hurt by a balloon, they can). Giving them superpowers will get you a disaster. Add the Beast and the fact that they don't have the self control of an adult and yeah you can see were that would lead (normally). Like when normal kid are angry and throws a tantrum a vampire child is likely to be going into an anger frenzy.

Also I'm pretty sure the standard Brujah are way less impulsive than your typical child.

Ragura likes this.
  21. tem345

tem345 Not too sore, are you?

new audiolog.

Pytor is probably a cleopatra
    More info on sabbat and camirilla

22. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

storytime

my VTM campaign has resulted in me having NPCs manhandle the players away from senselessly genociding an African village in Cape Verde due to them thinking about killing everyone on the island to raise as zombie meat shields.

Chinese Muslim Ex-Mujahideen Lasombra; I am getting a boat, they do not want us here, stop it. Bad.

Players: But what if we are attacked by the monsters in the sea

Chinese Muslim Ex-Mujahideenn Lasombra: I can punch buildings to death, you are a time stopping swordswoman, spirit calling gangrel, and weather controlling blood mage of the third generation. You don't need to do that

one of my players has saved over 50xp and refuses to spend it nor come up with an idea of what he wants to spend ANYTHING on because he is high on weed 24/7 (he is addicted, he complains about being stressed all the time if he isn't on weed, and doesn't acknowledge the idea of that being withdrawal despite one of our other players being a nurse)

Me: A tentacle that isn't moist at all wraps around your shoulder

Bruce (Gangrel Player character): Is it an octopus, I'll use animalism

Me: it is not moist

Bruce: I will speak in kraken, can I roll for that

Me: Yes

Bruce: *speaking in cephalopod*

Me: Another tentacle wraps around your other shoulder, roll to grapple

Bruce: Is it not listening to me?

Me: It isn't a sea creature, you are in the ship's cabin, being strangled to death by Slenderman again. Do you want to spend XP?

Bruce: No, *fails roll because he is severely underleveled due to refusing to spend his xp for several months*&

Me: You can feel your hyoid crunching and take four bashing damage. What do you want to do?

Bruce: Can I scream?

Me: Your throat has been collapsed.

Bruce: Is anyone coming to help me?

Me: Up top, Kokoro (Toreador player) you can see ice forming on the railing. It is winter though. Both of you can roll awareness or alertness if you like.

Kokoro: *gets 2 successes* So I'll go deal with slenderman

Me: nope, you don't know about Slenderman

Kokoro: What? Why?

Me: Because Bruce has NEVER EVER told any of you about the fact that he has been repeatedly assaulted by a scary tentacle monster. Bruce, what do you want to do downstairs?

Bruce: Try to escape

Me: You can spend blood to heal yourself and boost your stats

Bruce: *boosts strength and heals some but refuses to spend any on stamina even when he is about to be put back into torpor*\

Me: And Kokoro, you can hear struggling in the cabin

Kokoro: I go in

Me; You see Bruce, in bed, with a tall thin creature in a black suit on top of him, it has no face, a featureless white mask where one should be. Tentacles have grown out of its back and seem to be fused with its clothing, burrowing their way inside of Bruce as his veins become an oily black. Its head turns towards you as a long, skeletal finger comes to where its mouth would be and makes a Shushing gesture. What do you do

Kokoro *a toreador with Temporis, True Celerity, Potence, and supernatural sword skills* I try to negotiate with Slenderman *has only 6 dice for empathy and expression*

Me: *stares as a person on the path of Chivalry agrees to give an abomination against nature either a house, a wife, or a child*

Basket (Tremere on the path of the archangel): So we are giving Slenderman a child bride?

Kokoro: Giving him a child is probably the easiest, this is North Africa during the apocalypse.

Me: *stare* Basket, this is how you lose even more of your conscience and path, Kokoro, why do you even bother with the veneer of civility and everything else when it is clear that you don't give a damn?

If they actually did things instead of endlessly debate on plans that they never enact, at least one player would have lost a character to wassail.

in this game, Actual Lasombra stares at these players and calls them out on begin total idiots who constantly self-sabotage themselves, they continue to do so in the same session.

Actual Lasombra: *stare at Kokoro, a politics 3 toreador who thought she could quadruple deal with 4 antediluvians and not be caught* So, you are an idiots

Kokoro Player to me: Well, i doubt I can lie to an antediluvian

Me: And yet you thought that earlier and did so four times

Kokoro: Should I be rolling

Me: Pray for a miracle to save your ass

Kokoro: *Fail at explaining the fuckup*

Me: Lasombra the tentacle monster shall remember this while you go off and do the mission given to you of traveling through Demon, Lilith worshipper, and Baali infested Africa to try and dig up Brujah the constantly frenzying Antediluvian

23. ses

ses Experienced.

None of that would have dinged a Path of Chivalry cainite unless they were Path of Chivalry 7, though?

tem345 likes this.
  24. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

I am fairly sure that she is at Path 7, and even if you aren't at that point, I feel like a character is supposed to aspire to the higher levels

But this is on top of all the other stuff of

Treating a Superior With Disrespect, Breaking Your Word (generally done with every boss she has, the quadruple dealing with her actual mission)

The player is going to be hit with a bunch of path rolls pretty soon as the NPCs will be pointing that out because the player sure as hell doesn't realize how terribly they act in accord.

tem345, Rakdos92 and Ragura like this.
  25. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

Man, even the Full Frontal Nerdity guys would be appalled at your group, and they tend to be "maximum opportunistic neutral". At least they try to make a profit.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2022
    tem345 likes this.
  26. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

my players

Me: So, you are being told to awaken Brujah, who you know has been sealed away next to Moloch, one of the Baali founders. And the wife of Mekhet, your boss, who was a Baali who he killed, used magic to bring back as a human, but then got turned into a Baali again due to Moloch and Brujah fucking with them. What is your plan?

Kokoro: Ask the Antediluvians I'm on the side of for help

Ennoia: Don't wake up my sister in law, I will make a tablet and give you some aid with that.

Kokoro: I'll do that

Me: You aren't going to ask any pertinent questions

Kokoro: I can't think about any

Me: Pertaining to the people you are about to wake up, like mekhet's wife, whose name you don't know

Kokoro: Oh I ask that

Ennoia: Irkalla

Kokoro: Never heard of her

Me: You have occult, you know that Toreador is Ishtar. Irkalla is another name for Ereshkigal, sometimes claimed to be Ishtar's sister. God of the Underworld.

Kokoro: Hmmm

Lasombra: I can give you some physical help if you wake up Mekhet's wife

Kokoro: I promise

Tzimisce: I can give you this seed which contains my favored son Dracon, if it begins to overpower you, plant it within the woman

Kokoro: Sure, give me power man who is using the agonized remnants of vampires on living stakes to breed dragon monsters.

Me: So, after walking back home you realize you made three mutually exclusive deals with Antediluvianns

Kokoro: I'll...think of something.

Me: And you haven't done anything like, research Carthage, the people you are waking up

Kokoro: Eeeh

*one session later*

Basket: I am going to use Enoch's library to find books on carthage

Me: You find an entire sectionn

Basket: Rolls

Me: most of this is stuff about after the Baali set up shop and did demon things, you imagine that if you go to the ruins, even the stuff which wasn't about demons will have been corrupted.

Basket: Can I try to check out the book

Me; Yes, the librarian tells you that the book has features that will teleport it back to the library if it gets past the due date

Basket: but not me

Me; The librarian values his books more than your life

Kokoro: *upstairs talking to Mekhet* So, how strong is your wife. I know that Fourth Gens are like gods

Mekhet: No, Third Generation Vampires are akin to gods, fourth generation is more similar to a demigod. Like Mages

Kokoro: I don't see the difference.

Bruce: Like, you aren't that much different.

Kokoro: So you are saying that she is really strong, how could we beat her.

Both: *end up insulting the demon possessed child Mekhet adopted after they avoided even the possibility of doing anything with the oracle they found*

Mekhet: *punches Bruce through time and teleports him through the Jurassic period and back a few seconds in the future to be nearly killed by a ball that had been falling for hours* A vampire akin to you can break physics to the point of ignoring gravity, I can make space-time my plaything on a far greater scale. That is why we are akin to gods. My wife, cannot do that.

cain is currently a cat that was mysteriously in Enoch in the middle of the Talmahera leader's private rooms before claiming Lhiannan (the first Lhiannan)'s head as a resting spot before insulting Bruce when he tried to interrogate him.

Cain fucking with everyone by pretending to be a cat also went and sat on top of Lasombra to assert dominance while Lasombra warned the group that "Cats are supernatural creatures"

none of them got the hint that something might be going on with the cat

One day, the cat shall descend and turn into the muscled first farmer and start beating them over the head with a hoe for being idiots.

whether that hoe is Lilith depends on what happens.

27. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

When the first vampire has to step in and fix things because your group fucked up things so much, you know you goofed on an unprecedent scale. Hey, will they become legends in how incompetent they were? Like, fledlings whispering in hushed tones about the idiots who almost doomed the world because of laziness, apathy, and arrogance?

Ragura likes this.
  28. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

oh they doomed the world already (not stopping a demon portal in France)

its just that they determined which shade of black had several of the important cards (The Lost City of Enoch)

Set, Lasombra, Mekhet, Ennoia, Tzimisce, Malkav, and Ventrue *staring at the torpid body of the original Brujah while Big Momma Luluwa asks what the fuck is going on*: Look mom, we got our city back.

while also screwing themselves over

Set: Wait, you nearly let the thin-blood I was reborn through give birth around lilith worshippers. In their temple, the one that stinks of demon summoning? You thought that wouldn't screw my ritual

Lasombra: You thought that trying to team up with Ilyes after he converted to Lilith worship while also summoning Mekhet who is working to betray lilith was a good idea?

Tzimisce: *laughing*

Ennoia: *the gangrel player character is always high out of character and possibly in character so she kind of hates him*

Mekhet: *stare at useful idiots*

Kokoro: So what is our new job

Me: I want to make this clear, they send you on missions because they fully expect you to fuck up in some way. they just prefer you to be somewhere else so the people who suffer due to your fuckups is someone other than them

Kokoro: Just in general a fuck up

Bruce: always high in and out of character

Basket: Accidentally ate a torpid antediluvian due to not realizing the name of it or fact that the torpid antediluvian had been kidnapped by lilith worshippers instead of actually being one. then proceeded to shunt the soul into Kokoro after arguing with it a bunch because she couldn't get why he was so angry

Basket: But I'd give you a new body with cloning

Antediluvian: It isn't the same. Even if I somehow reobtained my power, the fact that YOU ATE ME and nearly DESTROYED MY SOUL is the point

Basket: I didn't know that you were an antediluviian

Antediluvian: That's not the point, you ate me. There is no way you would be calm about it if you were in my situation

essentially

Players; How are we supposed to deal with any problem, fight it?

Me: Yes, there are a lot of situations which you can fight it in. Like that portal you ran away from. The party made ENTIRELY OUT OF BLOOD MAGES WITH OCCULT

Players: How were we supposed to fight Shaitan in the arc after that?

Me: One of you ate a third generation vampire and one of you is a TIME STOPPING Toreador with Potence. You guys had the option to grab the Sword of Troile and legally have a right to it but keep forgetting to go and grab the magic sword that was offered to you as payment for a service you have already given. Instead you guys took over a country where you have to rely upon a military general who you failed to blood bond after turning into a vampire because you REFUSED to talk to any of the vampires in that area and now have all of them using the fact that you don't have any actual institutional control to make you do what they want. Where the general is clearly looking around at everybody else and using the to go over your heads.

Players: We didn't expect that to happen

Me: You tried to mind control this guy with presence and dominate and failed every roll. Then tried to blood bond to a woman even after learning that he was gay and he straight up told you that he could tell you were trying to mind control him due to suddenly feeling sexual urges towards a woman.

The Chad Brazilian General pissing in a urinal, making direct eye contact with the Toreador woman while telling her this is the only time in his schedule that he'll even let her try to negotiate so she better make a good deal

the demon torturing Woods Witch from the First City and Chinese Muhajideen Ex-Pirate NPCs are the moral centers of this party

29. Rakdos92

Rakdos92 Goosh Goosh

You know, I can't help but think that everyone capable of stopping your group is just too fascinated by their collective ability to fuck up. Like a birdwatcher discovering a dodo in the process of tearing down multiple trees by accident and/or malicious intend.

tem345, Ragura and shadowdice like this.
  30. shadowdice

shadowdice Connoisseur.

The campaign might very well end in Mehket becoming god and turning reality into a giant casino that they will work in for all eternity

or Vampire Blood God world where they are the heel of the boot being used to crush what is left of werewolves and other resistance while Cain lets them know that even if they are their way up they are still low low on the totem pole

especially since they are all already blood bound to the antes they work for

because the players proved how untrustworthy they were every step of the way