• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Interest Check & Idea Thread

Rather, Serenity would be trapped with us? I could dig it.

Either would be fun. Imps pawing through the ruins of civilization, or Beryl and all her minions dumped into some un-reality pocket... who says that dimensional pocket is empty when they arrive?

Hence why it'd be a civ quest~

It would be like my first civ quest ever...

I would vote for beryls as we get a miniboss squad to order around.

So the Bii is looking at the idea thread and was kind of reminded of old ideas...
CarnivalPhantasmTsunRinKickingArcher_zps8ee92a73.gif
I know some of you might wish to do this to me on reading this post~...
- - -​
You yawn and rolled over in your bed at the soft ringing from your clock.

Balefully, you blink at the little mechanical monstrosity as it rung. Oh, you knew it wasn't loud, and yet... in your current state... it was the loudest thing you've experienced.

You could feel stickiness on your eyelids that you rubbed away with a hand. The ringing echoed in your head and your mouth tasted like something horrible had crapped in it and then died to rot. Perhaps, it hadn't been the best of ideas to celebrate with your friends after graduating and becoming proper genin with them.

You stumbled out of bed, wincing at the cold floor. You had to be awake now.

After all, it was team assignment day.

You're also fairly certain that there was some devious nin involved in the scheduling of days; graduation and its mandated celebration in the evening, and the next day... photographing, team assignments and meeting with one's new jounin sensei.

Fiendish.

You mentally make a note to not do this again. Staying up late partying with friends after something successful.

You stumble into the washroom and start your morning absolution; making sure that your short and perky hair was immaculate, that you didn't have any bags under your pale lavender eyes.

Perfect.

You slip into your customary outfit and dashed off to the academy, and more specifically, the waiting room for the final paperwork and processing. Your headband was around your neck, the clear reflection on its new steel cover with its engraved symbol denoting your village allegiance.

As you dashed about your ninja village, you smiled at the looks you got. Even after all this time, there were still people who were surprised to see you. After all, you were one of the very few with your distinctive looks. Pale skin and dark hair were the trait marks of the nins from Konoha.

After the Fourth Shinobi War broke out twelve years ago, sparked by some minor dispute between Konoha and Kumo, your mother fled Konoha with you and your elder sister, and a few of the other branch family members of the Hyuuga. Their escape attempt was nearly stopped by a main branch Hyuuga who used an unknown seal designed to "prevent the theft of the Hyuuga bloodline".

It is a testament to your mother's tenacity that she escaped the Hyuuga main branch nin despite the injuries inflicted by the seal. She was rescued by Kumo nins, but eventually died of her wounds. Your elder sister, however, was mentally affected by the seal.

The two of you ended up being adopted by your new papa, Dee; a jounin who had retired due to injuries suffered in battle.

Still, you have an appointment to make as a proud genin of Kumo.
- - -​
Fire Blossoms amongst Clouds [Naruto AU Quest]
- - -​
What Do?
[X] Look at a certain Tanuki in horror!
[X] Hope certain Tanuki find more free time... somehow to do this quest?
[X] Look forlornly at this post and suspect that you're being teased.

Name : Hanabi
Team : unknown

Specialty Skills
- None yet

Current Equipment
01 - Kumo Headband
01 - Pouch with assorted nin equipment, and small change
10 - Assorted Kunai
10 - Assorted Shuriken
02 - Spools of Nin Wire

Current Ninjutsu Known
- Bunshin no jutsu
- Kawarimi no jutsu
- Henge no jutsu

Current Taijutsu Style Known
- Celestial Tiger Style

Current Genjutsu technique Known
- Kai

[X] Look forlornly at this post and suspect that you're being teased.

So I've been writing these commentaries on this really dire user's guide to runestones over on tvtropes, and I was wondering if anyone would like to read 'em here. And if so, should I stick them in the Rants section, or where?

FurikoMaru said:
So I've been writing these commentaries on this really dire user's guide to runestones over on tvtropes, and I was wondering if anyone would like to read 'em here. And if so, should I stick them in the Rants section, or where?

Rants sounds more right...

Well, let's test the waters.

=

Ooh, they start the whole thing off with an excerpt from a Longfellow poem! That's promising! :D You'll forgive me if I spend the rest of this review/liveblog thing singing it to the tune of Jerusalem.

So the introduction does that annoying thing that some people in debate clubs do and starts with a definition of 'rune' - or rather, two; the proper dictionary one ("any of the letters of the earliest Germanic alphabet used by Scandinavians and Anglo-Saxons from about the third century BC and formed by modifying Roman or Greek characters to suit carving"), over which it is a trifle sniffy, and the fancy old school one ("whispered secret").

There's some blahdeblah for a few paragraphs about Greco-Roman deities and their influence on certain English turns of phrase, and then the days of the week thing, which really indicates the intended demographic of this book.

It is from the Norse culture that the runes come, and it was in the old Teutonic world of northern Europe that the runes were venerated.

But... you just said the OED said they're heavily modified Mediterranean letters! How can they come from the *~mystic~* North when they're a result of the commercial South?

They were the very soul of life for the ancient Teutonic people, and encapsulated all of their mystical and mythological beliefs.

Aww, snap, I just had the *best* idea! A SesameStreet fanfic wherein the denizens fight off an attack by some mean person or other by casting spells with the letters of the week! [grin] I would ''so'' read about Super-Grover's heroic death utilizing S for super, shield and sacrifice.

... I may or may not have too many thoughts. ._.;

Now, after many centuries of being confined to some dark recess

- specifically the desk drawer of a man who let his fondness for D&D determine his academic career path, right next to the vodka -

the runes are finally re-emerging as one of the most powerful tools of magic that we have inherited from our forebears.

That last word always throws me. Is it really forebears or is it forebearers? Spellcheck says the former is correct, but it doesn't recognize forbearance as a word, so that's not a great help.

Moving on, it seems that this book is as fond of a certain bit of WMG re: NorseMythology as I am, namely the one about how Ragnarok's already happened. It claims that according to myth, humans acquired the runes by questing in search of knowledge of the golden age when Asgard was still around.

After much toil they eventually found the goddess Saga, slumped on her throne in a dream-like state.

...yeeeeeeeeeah, I call Christianization.

She was woken by the questioning of the men

>___< "...hrnmnwha...? Howth'Hel'd you li'l fuckers get in here? Oh, why are your voices so high?" ;__;

and at last replied, "Are ye come at last to seek intelligence of the wisdom and deeds of your ancestors?"

"... so y'can bicker with each other about reconstructionism and cultural appropriation?" -_- "That's always a fun time."

"I have written on these scrolls all that the people of that distant land thought and believed, and that which they held to be eternal truth."

"Spoiler warning, most of it is about cows and bookkeeping. I've bookmarked the bits about violence and tits. You're welcome."

"Ye will find much of the wisdom hidden therein, when ye can read the writing and understand the pictures."

"Now get the fuck off my planet." >_<

The "pictures" to which the goddess Saga is referring are clearly runes.

"Actually I was talking about the Odin/Loki fanart I included. Teach those little halfmonkeys to wake me up at four am!" ^__^ *snuggles back down in her seat*

Night-night, storytellin' lady. :3

Tales of the ancient Norse gods have their origins in the early home of the Aryan peoples - India.

What.

No, honestly, what? I mean, yeah, earlier than when they came to live in Europe, sure, but... the Aryans were cattlelords! They ''conquered'' India! As far as I know, when people hypothesize they came from any one place in particular, it's usually Southern Russia or somewhere like that.

This book needs to be more specific about things - it's used the word ancient like five times by now, each time referring to a different period of history.

These peoples lived very close to nature and believed that each natural phenomenon had its own personality. They would paint with all the colours of the bow before the wind, worship the sun, fear the moon, and imbue every rock and tree with a life of its own.

Is imbue the word he wants, here? I didn't think it had a figurative meaning in addition to the literal one. Wouldn't ascribe be better?

This approach to the world is now confined to the dictionary as 'animism', though the modern-day Gaia movement is making some headway in resurrecting it.

Did a dictionary eat your childhood dog, man? Ice cream is also in the dictionary, fucko, and so is sex!

The Aryan peoples gravitated northwards and, as they experienced increasingly harsh physical conditions, their animism increased in strength.

... I'm Canadian. I know what it is to hold one's experience with proper winter over the Southern pansies' heads. But anyone who tries to tell you north-western India has a more pleasant climate than Lillehammer is talking out of their ass. You might as well try to compare living in a colony at the bottom of the ocean to living in a colony in outer space; they're ''both'' really impressive and really shitty places to live if your society's beneath a certain level of technological sophistication for reasons which probably aren't similar enough to be worth comparing. I'm more inclined to think owing their lives to their herd animals and the greenery that fed them is what made them such devoted animists, not General Winter.

=

And that was the pilot. Thoughts?

Last edited by a moderator:

Click on picture for source​
You wiped the sweat from your brow as you finished cleaning your new home and the initial attunement of its hearth crystal, before stepping outside. The softness of the grass was a nice contrast to the hard stone floor inside. You wiggled your toes in the grass before sitting on the edge and looked up.

It was a nice day, the sky was blue with puffy clouds, you could see a few witches taking the high route for faster speed due to the lack of buildings in the way. It was the sensible thing than having to go around buildings at high speed.

You might have disagreed with your mothers on a number of issues, but risking your life by flying around on break neck speeds around, under and over buildings was not one of them. At least not unless it was an emergency.

Still, did you have anything you needed to do? Your magic reserves were barely tapped for the attunement of your home, and the manifestation of your witch dress, you had your broom at hand. And your cat was seated by you.

It was true that you were still young at the age of twenty, and there would be a number of witches who would tsk tsk at your running away from your mother to claim your own home. But you couldn't stand to stay with your mothers and their nagging ways. No, it was better for you to leave and stake your own claim on a home of your own.

You would stand on your own legs, you would not depend on your mothers. You had your magic, you had your friends that you could visit. And if you couldn't find a job on your own, it wasn't difficult to nip down to the surface beneath Lunapolis to gather the regents for potions and such, you just needed to watch out for the barbaric man-beasts. Or you could join the Knight Korps and help defend the city against its ancient enemy, the wizards of Heliopolis that flew in counter point of Lunapolis.

The world was open for you. You just had to seize the day, after all... that's what the queen did in the last LunaHelio war over a thousand years ago. You just needed to exercise and turn your potential into reality.

- - -
Witch Quest
- - -

What Do?
[X] Ask certain Tanuki to give up a quest and do this one?
[X] Look forlornly at this quest and suspect that you're being teased.

[X] Hope Level Real is taken out behind the woodshed so there's more time for Witch Quest.

Poor Sachi really can't catch a break can she? @_@

So, while I slowly plot intro into quest, let me test waters.

Space Invader Quest!
You are on asteroid base. You got limited manufacturing capability. Below you - garden world, full of people. You need to find as much info about it and make them join your side. Any way possible. There may be supplies. There may be you, disowned and used as scrapegoat by big boys to insure compilance of people.

Giant robots and balanced paranormal abilities of pilots. No, not newtypes, things they do are more sane and often need amplifier.

Interest?

Man. I really wish someone would write a Thorfinn Quest. It would be so choice.

FurikoMaru said:
Man. I really wish someone would write a Thorfinn Quest. It would be so choice.

... See, I hear that and think Thor/Finn slash for some reason.

Which shouldn't't work because I'm pretty sure adventure time and marvel are completely different universes...

Nova said:
So, while I slowly plot intro into quest, let me test waters.

Space Invader Quest!
You are on asteroid base. You got limited manufacturing capability. Below you - garden world, full of people. You need to find as much info about it and make them join your side. Any way possible. There may be supplies. There may be you, disowned and used as scrapegoat by big boys to insure compilance of people.

Giant robots and balanced paranormal abilities of pilots. No, not newtypes, things they do are more sane and often need amplifier.

Interest?
SpaceInvaders-Gameplay.gif

Am I the only person who thought this when I read "Space Invader Quest?"

Once there was a girl named Louise.

"I beg of you..."

Born a noble, hers was a privileged life. Or so it should have been.

"My slave who lives somewhere in the universe!"

All nobles are mages. Those who are not, are commoners.

"Oh Sacred, beautiful and strong familiar spirit!"

Louise could not make even the simplest spell work, despite years upon years of toil. Her blood and tears were without worth to her society.

"I desire and here I plead from my heart!"

Her last chance was the Springtime familiar summon. If she could summon a familiar, she would prove that she had worth, that she was a mage. A noble.

"Answer to my guidance!"

A final explosion. Louise failed. And Louise died.

But as the wheel of time turns, the cycle of death and rebirth continues. Unopposed and unfeeling.

[] Born to an old family, the girl follows the footsteps of her ancestors.
[] Comprehend. Deconstruct. Reconstruct. Truly, the art of this world follows the law of equivalent exchange.
[] A mundane girl. A meeting, a transcendent bond and tournament not so mundane.
[] A wish, and a betrayal older than mankind.
[] Born to a world where monsters hide from humanity.
[] Born, to lose her mother. To be abandoned by her father. But called upon when the Messengers came.
[] A city beyond the rest of the world. A city where the superhuman live.
[] Those who live hidden, are those with greatest strength.

OOC: Well, the idea came to me when I was out running. But I wonder...

Sounds interesting even if I can only glance half of the X-overs but then quests where louise is reincarnated are quite rare after all.

Ne.... Nekraaa~

So... this is what it's like when Tanuki interest posts show up in this thread~

Mercenary Quest

Act 1
Fire.

It burns, spreads- Consuming whatever it touches, leaving nothing but ash in it's wake. Farmland, house, kin and kine... All are reduced to shadows and dust, to screaming echoes of what they once were.

And in the midst of the chaos, you stand unable to change anything-​

You start awake from your nightmare. Crickets and frogs fill the cool night air with their song, and you hear the sound of your horse's breathing loud beside you. A quick glance about shows you that your posessions are all intact- Armor neatly packed in oilcloth to prevent the damp from getting in, sword in easy reach in case of an ambush, and a dwindling pack of jerked meat and oatcakes hidden in the tree above you where only the most clever scavenger could ever hope to steal it.

Shaking your head, you stand and make your way down to a nearby stream. A mouthful of cold water washes the bitter taste from your mouth, and the sleep from your eyes soon follows. As you kneel above the shining water, you get a good look at your reflection-

[] Male
[] Female

[] Name

[] Appearance? [Not Required]

After a moment of staring, you turn and head back to your bedroll. You have a long day ahead of you, but there's no sense in starting it so foolishly early.

As you settle down beside your horse, you look up at the moon for a moment. It hangs above the trees, fat and cold as a bloated corpse. With a sneer, you cast your eyes down to the ground- And yet, with that grotesque image hanging above you, you find you cannot return to sleep.

After about an hour or two, you give up and slip on your gear before patting your horse awake. The sun will come soon enough, and you have ground to cover.

[] You head east, to Port City Nemaster. Plenty of caravans will be there to buy goods from across the sea, and with any luck at all you can sign on as a spare guard.
[] You head south, to the warring kingdoms of Meridian and Lemoris. If you manage things properly, you can make a name for yourself on the field of war.
[] You head north, into the wastes. Dangerous, rocky terrain and thick, fetid jungle hide ancient ruins in their depths- And while most of the stuff closer to the outskirts has been picked clean already, there's always tale of something new being found deeper in.
[] You head west, to the empire that branded your father a rebel and killed your family. Your only desire is revenge.

[] Tell Vindictus to get back to his other quests
[] Tempt Vindictus away from his other quest with delicious votes
[] Ignore the unimportant thing, and it will go away.

:notfunny:

[X] Tell Vindictus to get back to his other quests

[X] Tell Vindictus to get back to his other quests. He's drunk.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back