1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Phase [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by FirstSelector, Dec 20, 2021.

1. KingCrimson1081

KingCrimson1081 Experienced.

Another thought occurs, there is probably a high chance that those working with the wards in the ENE department already knew about Taylor's relationship with Emma and Sophia even before the disastrous first meeting because in the Emma interlude it said that Miss Militia took Taylor's statement in the hospital so Taylor probably named Sophia and Emma as the ones behind the locker. So Miss Militia probably knew about the issue and probably told Piggot about it but they both decided to try and induct Taylor into the Brockton Bay wards department anyways knowing that it would most likely end badly. It really makes me think what they thought was going to happen when they tried to introduce Taylor to the team doesn't it.

2. KingCrimson1081

When exactly was Bakuda's trigger event because from what I understand it was after Taylor's so there is a chance that Taylor has to deal with her original bombing run down in Boston at some point, which could further drive her conflict with the PRT depending on how it goes.

BF110C4 likes this.
  3. Tzardok

Tzardok I trust you know where the happy button is?

If you believe Lisa, it was her overdeveloped ego, caused by being academically perfect during school, shattering after failing a test in college.

4. KingCrimson1081

That doesn't really answer my question though, I was asking when it was not what it was and would it happen in a time frame that would effect Taylor in anyway in Boston be it as a wards member or as a vigilante.

BF110C4 likes this.
  5. BF110C4

BF110C4 Know what you're doing yet?

If it happens during normal hours it would be an ethical challenge for Taylor since her powers are ideal for S&R and her limited precog and omniscience is extremely useful as a way of avoiding any unexploided ordinance, no matter the trigger.

As a vigilante it would be an struggle for the local Protectorate and Wards to keep the charade of the Unwritten Laws in the face of an obvious Taylor acting as if she wasn't (technically) part of the team. It is very possible that at least one Ward or Protectorate cape won't be able to do so and unmask her to the local teams.

apeljohn and KingCrimson1081 like this.
  6. Tzardok

Tzardok I trust you know where the happy button is?

Huh. Could've sworn that said "what" instead "when". Sorry for that.

KingCrimson1081 likes this.
  7. KingCrimson1081

Honestly I can see that being the next big conflict for Taylor either in the story proper or in an omake because based on Taylor's disposition she will feel obligated to go out and do something during the disaster plus her omniscience would also allow her to find people trapped in the rubble, and that is not even going into the possibility that her main power could potentially protect her from the esoteric effects of Bakuda's bombs.

If she decides to do it as a vigilante it solves the problem of her wanting to do something but not the problem with the PRT, and I can see someone such as Nebula who is displeased with the newest ward kick up a fuss about her actions even more so if she performs well during the crisis. Whether he does it in public and essentially outs the new vigilante as Boston's most frustrating ward or in private to Armstrong there will be consequences for Taylor's very visible actions.

BF110C4 and BigGreenBird like this.
  8. BF110C4

The other possible big conflict is that Taylor tries for an Endbringer fight, I think the next one is Canberra against the Simurg, and she manages to -somehow- get into one of the teleporting groups.

That said I don't see any realistic way she can go, unlike other Endbringer fights for the Simurg the capes need to be vetted for vulnerability to her Master effect and even as a Protectorate cape (instead of a renegade Ward playing vigilante) her current psychological profile is bad enough she wouldn't be allowed to go at all. The last thing the PRT/Protectorate needs is a paranoid cape with reasons to hate the government to fall for one of Simurg's tricks and reveal the skeletons in her personal locker before deserting.

9. KingCrimson1081

Yeah they certainly wont let Taylor fight the Simurgh for those reasons, at the same time they let Emma go and Emma gets Zized and her target is Taylor.

Also on an unrelated note what would happen if Taylor killed the Butcher but due to her power she didn't inherit the voices in her head but still somehow inherited the powers, how would that help or hinder her situation in Boston.

apeljohn, BF110C4 and BigGreenBird like this.
  10. Nikas_Zekeval

Nikas_Zekeval Know what you're doing yet?

Would Taylor even want to fight an Endbringer? Or would her take on Heroics be more like Green Arrow in the animated Justice League Unlimited when they tried to recruit him?

GA: "I just help the little guy. And a big club like this, you tend to forget all about him."

4:20 since this board doesn't seem to accept URLs for specific mid clip time stamps.

(Of course by the end of the episode, he is fighting a mecha-kaiju)

Taylor, tailoring her heroics to the "people too unimportant for you to bother with" would fit her Triggering. She was too unimportant to bother with, till she got powers. So now she is going to use them to look out for people the Wards and Protectorate consider too "unimportant" to bother with more than incidentally.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2022
  11. KingCrimson1081

Which adds even more irony to everything that has happened due to Emma's complaint about the wards being more about selling plushies than saving young girls being attacked in alley ways. It would be real funny if Taylor becomes the type of hero to save said girls from said hypothetical alley way.

But as for fighting Endbringers I can still see Taylor doing it at least from a search and rescue perspective because I don't see Taylor knowingly leaving people to their deaths when she has the ability to step in and do something which also fits her trigger event of people just leaving her to her fate in the locker.

12. LordMelvin

LordMelvin Alleged Melvin

Bakuda, the Cornell Bomber, made her debut at Cornell University in Ithaca, New York. She was captured there, presumably by New York-based PRT/Protectorate forces, then broken out and taken to Brockton Bay by Lung. Boston should never enter into it.

13. KingCrimson1081

Really I was under the impression she was from Boston originally. I guess that's off the table then, so I guess the next big thing will either be the Simurgh or whatever Lisa's purpose for being in Boston is.

BF110C4 likes this.
  14. LordMelvin

LordMelvin Alleged Melvin

She - as evidences by her accent - is pretty definitely from Boston. She went away to college in upstate New York - the part near Pennsyltucky, where you get your good ol' upstate redneck racists - and triggered due to what the abrasive blonde girl with no firsthand knowledge of things tried to play down as a bad grade on a test.

(This doesn't line up at all with canon theorycrafting re: first-gen triggers or tinker triggers, but it's not like Tt would ever be anything but scrupulously honest...)

15. KingCrimson1081

Probably triggered due to the stress of college and the pressure put on her by her family to succeed and getting that bad grade and having all her hard work be for nothing probably caused the psychotic break that lead to her trigger event.

As for her showing up maybe she escapes and decides to go back to her home town to stir things up.

BigGreenBird likes this.
  16. Extras: Omake: Flechette's notes on Phase
    KingCrimson1081

Flechette's Notes on Phase

Day 1:

We got a new Ward today transferring in from Brockton, apparently there were some issues at her home department so she has been transferred here. She was a bit stand offish during the greeting but shes probably just nervous about being in a new city. Said she couldn't share a wall with anyone but that probably just power thing so no biggie. Didn't see much of her after that though she just stayed in her room the rest of the night didn't even try and talk to anyone which was a bit worrying, but I am sure she will warm up to us in a few days at least.

Day 2:

Phase was given her tour of the base by Gauss today didn't really talk that much to her today either but Gauss seemed put off by something after the tour gonna try talking to him about it later tonight hopefull it isn't to bad. In other news Roulette and Hunch were talking about Phase too today something about how her power is having some weird interactions with their and whether or not they should inform one of the higher ups about it. Other than that Phase's room has official been moved to the end of the hall so she isn't sharing a room with anyone so no more couch for me tonight.

Day 4:

I think Taylor is avoiding us. All she does is spend time in her room and the gym doesn't talk to us or anything. Hell when she revealed her identity to us she didn't even stay for conversation even after Weld got everyone in the room, just took off her mask and said her name before going back into her room. I know Weld had been telling is to give her time and space but I am starting to get worried its almost been a week and Taylor still hasn't had a full ocnversation with anyone, tried talking to one of the Protectorate members about it but they didn't have anything to say on the issue either. Shes starting school with the rest of the Wards in a few days so maybe I can see if I can run into her in between classes.

Day 7:

I tried talking to Taylor at lunch today and it didn't go as planned, and I might have messed things up. She got mad at me and said somethings before leaving, its given me a bit to think about regarding her situation. Tried talking to Weld about it but he kept changing the subject, which probably means that Taylor was telling the truth about the Wards in Brockton and what they did. Can't say the realization didn't come as a shock but it explains why shes been keeping us at arms length her entire time here if two Wards caused my trigger event would I be the same? But that doesn't change the fact that Taylor needs people in her life who she can trust, I am trying but it seems like everything I do just pushes her further away. Maybe Weld is right and she just needs more time, but I'm afraid if we wait to long she'll be to far gone to help none of the others know what to do either and Taylor isn't giving out any hints.

Day 12:

Almost a whole week and still nothing, no changes Taylor still avoids everyone both at base and in school. Gauss and Nebula came in to see if any of us were willing to talk her into going into power testing but they left dissapointed when we also said we had no idea what to do, that left everyone feeling disappointed for the rest of the day.

In other news I think I have exhausted every conversation topic I could think of trying to get Taylor to communicate. I tried everything music, games, movies, T.V., workout routines, and even what book she was reading and every time she just gave me a single word response before getting tired of me and leaving. It pains me to say this but I don't think Taylor ever intends to integrate with the team, which sucks because there is so much we could do for her if only she let us in.

Day 16:

Had our regular pizza night yesterday and Gauss managed to get Taylor to come out which was a mistake. She was in the room for all of ten seconds before finding an excuse to leave something to do with Lightspeed and his power, but it really brought down everyone's mood for the rest of the night and I think Lightspeed blamed himself for what happened. None of us really stayed that long after that the whole Phase issue completely killed the mood despite Gauss trying to reassure everyone it was alright before trying to go get Taylor. She didn't come back after that so I guess she didn't succeed. I tried saving Taylor some slices but so far they remain untouched in the fridge despite me mentioning it to her.

Day 23:

I got told by Weld today that Taylor will be joining us during the regular Wards base tour today, not sure what Armstrong is thinking but orders are orders so I decided to keep an eye on her during the PR event and hopefully nothing goes wrong.

No other changes in the Taylor situation though besides a few run ins at school and base with each one ending the same way and Taylor politely excusing herself without so much as a hello.

Day 24:

I don't know what I was expecting to happen but it sure as hell wasn't this. At first the tour wasngoing good and Taylor was mostly keeping to herself as always but then she got asked a question and well she didn't sell the best image of the Wards program with her answer. It didn't help that the tour group was recording the whole thing and already the videos have been making the rounds on PHO, I can already hear the rant from the team's PR manager about this hopefully it will all blow over and we won't have to pull double PR duty to make up for it I hope.

It wasn't all bad however, Taylor seemed to open up to Connie a little during the tour so progress I guess.

Day 27:

Well Taylor's a vigilante now apparently not sure what else to say about that. I tried talking to her about it but she just got hostile and defensive about it. I had to promise not to tell anyone to get her to calm down, but she wouldn't listen to me when I tried talking about how dangerous it was to operate alone in Boston. To make things worse I am pretty sure everyone else knows to but won't say anything for some reason, probably afraid if they tried to stop her Taylor would just pull a runner and I can't say that their wrong about that.

Day 29:

Taylor came back rather bruised today after her regular 'runs' tried to talk to her about it but she blew me off as usual. Had to get the word from Nebula, apparently Taylor got into a fight with Snap and Split no serious injuries and they were both captured, but Nebula didn't seem that happy about it. He kept going on about reckless vigilantes and stubborn teenagers so I guess I know where he stands on the issue. But ever since Taylor started her new hobby she has seemed I don't know happier, or at least in a better mood than she has been the past month so thats good? I don't really know anymore so I am gonna take what I can get and hope she starts opening up soon.

Day 35:

Taylor's mood continues to improve which is directly connected to how often she gets to go out for her 'runs'. Both Weld and Nebula aren't exactly happy about what she has been doing but they can't do anything since the Director currently refuses to do anything about it so all they can do is complain about it, just wish they wouldn't do it within earshot of Taylor. But this whole situation ahs given me an idea to try and get Taylor to open up, and all I need to do is figure out Taylor's patrol schedule and 'run into her' while out on patrol and hopefully things work out from there. Anyways thats it for now wish me luck.

AN: Just a short from Lily's perspective written in a journal format, and don't point out that I got the time frame wrong I know but I didn't feel like going through all the chapters to figure out how many days had passed between events so I spaced things out randomly. Besides that let me know what you think.

17. KingCrimson1081

Had an idea for an omake but I doubt my ability to write it so I am gonna just put it out here in case someone else wants it.

Basically when Taylor is out doing her vigilante thing she comes across a fight between the Protectorate and the Butcher with Lily also being in attendance. Seeing Lily about to be offed by the Butcher Taylor reacts and accidentally kills the Butcher trying to save Lily, but instead of getting the voices in her head and being able to control them like most Butcher!Taylor fics Taylor doesn't get the voices at all but still somehow gets the powers. Now the Protectorate/PRT has to deal with the fact that their most frustrating Ward now has 14 new powers to play with and even more pressure to get her to comply, but on the bright side at least one of their Wards didn't die and the other is very unlikely to go insane due to the regular Butcher insanity.

18. DrWhoFan13

DrWhoFan13 Lurker who made an account for a few fics

19. KingCrimson1081

The main difference being the lack of voices and the fact that the Protectorate is aware of Taylor being 'the Butcher'.

apeljohn likes this.
  20. DrWhoFan13

DrWhoFan13 Lurker who made an account for a few fics

Point.

21. KingCrimson1081

In that scenario I can't decide whether or not Taylor is more screwed or less screwed, because on one hand once it is known she has all the powers of the Butcher without the drawbacks like voices in her head and insanity the PRT/Protectorate will push even harder to get her on board which means bringing in people from higher up like Costa-Brown and Legend, but on the other she can't really be pushed around anymore due to her sudden increase in power.

apeljohn, Arksurek, BF110C4 and 2 others like this.
  22. BF110C4

The thing is that no one is using physical force to push her around to begin with, all of the authorities harassment comes in the form of legal or administrative regulations which Taylor is reasonably capable of turning against them by using some legal loopholes that are based on either her constitutional rights or poorly written YG regulations. The pressure that Legend and Costa-Brown would bring is the threat of erasing those loopholes through greater legal Kung-Fu (CB got direct access to the lawyers that write the laws) or by enormous bribes since she can give Taylor some rather handsome benefits if she puts her mind to it.

That said the basic equation of Just a Phase is still there. At which point Taylor gets tired of the stick and decides to run away from the Wards, who are physically incapable of holding her against her will? At which point the authorities bend themselves backwards by giving Taylor all reasonable and unreasonable demands on her wish list?

And if negotiations reach the point of no return and the Protectorate goes against Taylor, can anyone hold her in one place if she doesn’t want to stop to obey the authorities?

23. KingCrimson1081

True, but mostly I would be more interested in the reactions of the people involved if that scenario came to pass. Like what would Armstrong, Lily, Gauss, and Emma think in that scenario not to mention how Taylor would react to the sudden increase in power.

BF110C4 likes this.
  24. BF110C4

Most important reaction would be absolute disbelief. None of the authorities will believe Taylor is not hearing the voices, they can't. Not for a parahuman whose power hasn't been properly tested against long term Master effects (or any kind of Master effect for that matter) and shows definitive signs that at least part of the Butcher's inheritance was passed along. They will have to put her into mandatory long term Master/Stranger protocols for at least a few days, probably a few weeks to be sure. And regarding the Triumvirate, they won't send either Alexandria or Legend (although they might visit anyway), for a Ward with her specific powerset (plus the new powers) they need to send Eidolon just to ensure she stays contained during the tests, because anyone less powerful and versatile is uncapable of holding back a ghost that just happens to be a midlevel Brute and Blaster, a destructive Mover and with multiple Thinker powers to make things even harder.

Also at this point the Protectorate can fill a motion with a judge for Taylor to take mandatory power testing for her own good and that of the general's population, she was affected by a long, term Master power which is well known for causing permanent insanity, and which in a worse case acts as a one-shot contagious disease. Both for public safety and to avoid being forced to put her in an induced coma and ship her to an isolated facility in the middle of nowhere they need to have definitive evidence she only got the new powers and that she is not using her impressive willpower to hide the insanity.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2022
  25. KingCrimson1081

The whole immunity bit would most likely be QA doing her own form of malicious compliance against the Butcher Shard by taking what she wants and removing the unneeded data (the other Butchers). As for the disbelief I agree that most people wouldn't believe her at first but Taylor does have several things working in her favor, such as the fact that she will probably come in willingly, a lack of any twitchiness, the fact that she doesn't talk to herself, the knowledge that her power normally disrupts other powers, and the fact that besides an initial bout of panic she doesn't have any noticeable alterations to her personality. She will still be in master/stranger containment nut if she sits quietly the whole time it becomes rather obvious she isn't effected by the negative aspects of the Butcher. As for the Triumvirate involve ment I believe that there would be a motion once it is confirmed that Taylor just got the powers to move her to one of the departments under their direct command be it Legend, Alexandria, or Eidolon, but for the most part it will be Eidolon watching her at first with maybe some visits from Alexandria who tries to social fu Taylor into complying, and Legend with the softer more friendly pitch.

For the power testing she would definitely need to under go it just to prove.she isn't going crazy and that she can have a normal life. But there will also be another issue that could be brought up regarding Taylor's new power set, and that being if the inheriting stopped with Taylor or if Taylor merely started a new dynasty so to speak. Because once it gets out that Taylor's power removes the negative aspects to inheriting she will have a lot of people after her jsut for the potential of a power boost so the PRT might just say work for us and we will make sure you won't have to deal with all the crazies that will inevitably come after you.

BF110C4 likes this.
  26. BF110C4

That said all depends on an angry, traumatized and vocal teen girl with at least a moderate case of claustrophobia, severe distrust of authorities and a large amount of (somewhat justified) paranoia to stay quiet, calm and compliant in solitary confinement inside a padded room for at least a month (no less than one week for testing normal Master effects, which by the way is described as a stress test with limited sleep designed to confuse a potential Master or the preprogramed orders, at least one week after initial protocols for a psychologist to get a baseline of her personality, and let's say two more to ensure there is neither a progressive mental degeneration nor a shift in her personality), all while already suffering nightmares from before the incident and having a personality post-trigger that can't be described as calm and accepting.

All in all its going to be damn difficult for her to prove she is sane before the tests make her mad in every sense of the word.

27. KingCrimson1081

True but at the same time Taylor has been going to therapy so they will be at least aware of her already pre-existing issues to be able to write off a good amount of Taylor's reactions to being confined, and honestly just the fact that she actually entered the Master/Stranger cell would go a ways to prove that she is in control. Also add in the fact that all her reactions are hers and she isn't showing any of the inherited traits or verbal ticks that most newly inherited Butcher's gain. Even if Taylor doesn't go to a Master/Stranger cell the Boston PRT/Protectorate would probably notice several things that show that Taylor isn't on the down slide to madness since she wouldn't go back to the Teeth like other Butchers, doesn't engage in extreme violence, remains a vigilante, can talk in complete sentences, and doesn't have any moments where she appears to be having a conversation with someone who isn't there.

So yeah there will be a lot of ways to prove that Taylor isn't crazy, and that isn't even getting into things like thinker powers that aren't targeted at her that could potentially prove that she wont go mad anytime soon.

apeljohn, Rock1244 and BF110C4 like this.
  28. perfectgeneral

perfectgeneral Know what you're doing yet?

I take it from the spoilers, about Butcher forex, that the thread marks stop too soon?

29. BF110C4

Not really, there are omake threadmarks missing but the story links are intact. What you're seeing is speculation of the fic in general going to some unusual tangents as well as some talk about ideas which take things in a different direction from time to time.

30. KingCrimson1081

Speaking of tangents I am suprised that the topic of Taylor x Lily hasn't popped up yet.