1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Just a Phase [Worm]

Discussion in 'Creative Writing' started by FirstSelector, Dec 20, 2021.

1. Nikas_Zekeval

Nikas_Zekeval Know what you're doing yet?

And then there is the explanation for having two Boston Wards in Brockton Bay. Excuses about 'team building temporary transfers' could cover the short term, but the sudden shift and the longer it goes on? "If Brockton Bay needs reinforcements, why not send adults instead of Wards?"

2. KingCrimson1081

KingCrimson1081 Experienced.

Yeah the Brockton Wards had been benched for a bit before the situation happened, and now they are back with two new 'temporary' members I imagine some conspiracy theorists on PHO are coming up with something. But of course on the other hand Phase was a Brockton Ward for all of ten seconds before they realized that wouldn't work so connecting it with Boston's missing Ward might not click with most people.
    Yeah they are currently trying to cover all their bases in looking for Taylor cus a runaway Ward never looks go no matter how you try and spin things, especially if that Ward ran away because she was attacked by a Protectorate member. And for that exact reason is why the PRT set up cameras around Annette's grave just to be safe.
    I imagine Taylor would just bypass the front desk entirely and sneak into empty hotel/motel rooms at night to sleep so as to not leave any records of her presence in their records. As for food that can be covered by phasing into houses during the work day and taking a little at a time to not tip off the owners.
    Now this problem has left every PRT agent and Armsmaster scratching their heads on what to do, and one of the main reasons as to why the current go to for spotting Phase is to call it in and try and find out where she is hiding so they can try and talk her into coming back willingly.

3. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Doesn't Taylor have a grandmother? That could complicate things if Taylor has a place to go that isn't Danny.

Also Taylor is almost certainly not in BB. If she's got any sense she's on the first greyhound to anywhere else if she beats the PRT's net.

4. Nikas_Zekeval

I kind of like this idea. That the PRT so misunderstands her and/or didn't talk to her that any non-power method of building a profile to predict her is either full of blanks and holes, or garbage. "I could get something more useful if I copied a generic American Female Teen profile from one of my old textbooks."

"What about the two girls she knew in Brockton?"

"You do recall why Phase was moved to Boston, right? I tried just to see what happened. And by that profile not only should have Phase not run? She should have immediately folded when transfered and become a complaint, nearly submissive, Ward. At least it wasn't a total waste of time. The resultst let me convince the higher ups that anything Shadow Stalker and Ampere said about Phase is utter shit."

5. SotF

SotF And Away We Go!

I'd think that they'd be more worried about Phase snapping in a different way...her profile is one that would also be setting of something akin to School Shooter alarm bells, and there are some VERY high profile targets in relatively easy distance from Boston if she decides to aim at the PRT/Protectorate/Wards because something like heading to NYC and shanking Legend suddenly becomes a big thing that will hit the news.

Or the potential of her heading to DC to personally deliver her personal "complaint" to the President because walking through walls and screwing with Thinkers would create a nightmare scenario of stopping her there.

6. FirstSelector

FirstSelector something else entirely

These are all good points, and I'm not totally sure where Taylor would flee. I'm tempted to say she would hide out in one of the small New England towns in central New Hampshire, which would largely put her out of reach of the PRT (as they would never find her). But someone more resourceful and understanding her situation a bit better... say, Lisa tipping off Faultline, would stand to reach out to her quickly.

Or not -- Taylor staying on run would be just as amusing, especially if news of the missing Ward goes viral.

7. Blade4

Blade4 Experienced.

That would be the smart thing just getting out of the prts reach. She gets nothing from playing the cape game and needs time to figure out what to do next. She can at least try to pretend to be a 18 year old doing under the table waitress work or something and use her powers to steal from criminals until she can figure out better options.

GFFerrari, apeljohn, Gojira and 8 others like this.
  8. KingCrimson1081

Oh it will get out the Youth Guard is already preparing a statement as to what happened if Taylor isn't found soon which is one of the reasons why the PRT/Protectorate is currently scrambling to find her.
    The only problem I can see with that is Faultline not wanting the Protectorate to come knocking on her door trying to retrieve their missing Ward even if she willingly went with Faultline and her crew.
    Well that's what happens when all your interactions with someone can be boiled down to telling her to join up already and going silent when she tells you her reason not to.

Maybe if the members of the Protectorate actually asked how she was doing or took an interest in her hobbies they could have a better idea on who Taylor is as a person rather than as a useful parahuman. Hell if Taylor's legal guardian down in Boston actually made an effort to talk to their charge things would have been different.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2023
  9. Nikas_Zekeval

Man, those are going to be some uncomfortable conversations.

Legend looked around the table. "And why would the Youth Guard not talking to our profilers be such a barrier to building something that isn't complete bullshit on Phase? Surely she talked to someone, anyone, in the PRT, Protectorate, or Wards more than her Youth Guard rep?" The uncomfortable glances of the Boston personnel told Legend he wasn't going to like their answers, or excuses.

10. Lement

Lement Blushing inComplete Coverage

None of Taylor's grandparents are mentioned in Worm iirc. You'd expect at least one to have survived normally, but since none get mentioned, well... Logical interference is they find a grave or "I disowned her/him decades ago." Not entirely without potential from media perspective/filing in court for getting guardianship of Taylor as living relative due Danny&PRT being incapable, but if you want to stick to characters with speaking lines stalking Kurt & Lacey might make more sense, even if Taylor only knows them as her dad's work mates.

Of course, in a city with Nazis, sex traffickers, thugs and drug dealers, that in itself might give a humorous anecdote or two.
    Is Taylor immoral enough to steal and not pay taxes?
    *ponders the sign named “Worm”*

Okay yeah but I'm now wondering if they'd still have to keep paying into her trust fund so she could just step in and grab it when 18, given her lack of formal resignation options.
    Given the fic is ostensibly Man VS Government, timeskipping two years could work here better than canon Worm, allowing her to win some mental balance while returning with reinforcements. Sure, it'd put her under legal trouble for truancy, too, but that could be another problem for protag to overcome.

(Of course, given Taylor went on very enthusiastic walks, that girl isn't going to go uninvolved with capes. And who pays the best under-the-table $$$?.... Imagine what Elite could do with Taylor's anti-thinker ability just by asking her to lead them in random directions, without saying they're Elite. )

11. Nikas_Zekeval

How do you pay taxes without revealing your secret identity?

Hmm, maybe bounty hunting? "Ghost" might find it fun to tweak the PRT's nose by collecting bounties, and using the immunity of that to keep them from capturing her.

apeljohn, Lement and KingCrimson1081 like this.
  12. Melmar

Melmar Should probly stop sayin' words

They are actually. Annette's mother and father are still alive and send Taylor money on occasion. They, or rather her Gran, don't like Danny so they don't see them much. Danny's mother isn't mentioned but his father is implied to be dead.

13. KingCrimson1081

Depending in what bounties she goes after she can probably avoid interacting with the PRT at all. Alls she has to do is just go after non-powered criminals and it is out of their jurisdiction.

Lement likes this.
  14. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Taylor is a parahuman. Her being involved in a situation makes things the PRT's business.

15. KingCrimson1081

Really I would think if Taylor solely kept to collecting bounties on mundane criminals the PRT couldn't do it since their jurisdiction is more in parahuman crimes rather than parahumans trying to make a living, or else their would have been some PRT agents around whenever Parian did a show or when Amy did her rounds at the hospital.

apeljohn and BigGreenBird like this.
  16. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Neither of those things involve law enforcement/criminals. Though there probably is some sort of need or suggestion that keeping the PRT in the loop regarding those activities is a good idea. For Amy and Sabah respectively at least.

apeljohn, Lement and KingCrimson1081 like this.
  17. KingCrimson1081

True, well in that case it would probably be in Taylor's best interest to only collect a few bounties in one area turning them into the cops and then leaving before the PRT takes notice. That is if she considers bounty hunting to be worth the risk, but she probably has the advantage of there being other parahuman bounty hunters out there that can make it harder for the PRT to find out that it is her. Especially if she manages to hide her main power and passes herself off as some kind of Thinker/Stranger and not a Breaker.

That said it when Taylor captured those Teeth gangsters she called the local cops rather than the PRT and had no issues with it so it does stand to reason that so long as Taylor doesn't go after capes the PRT doesn't need to be involved.
    It should also be noted that Taylor's internal monologue before she goes out in that chapter mentions that she studied up on the legalness of vigilantism, so I assume that calling the cops rather than the PRT was the correct move in that situation.

18. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Could call it jurisdiction fuckery. Technically capturing non parahumans can be reported to the cops but the PRT doesn't like it when you do that. Not that Taylor would care.

19. KingCrimson1081

Probably goes both ways to with the cops not liking it when a vigilante calls the PRT about the random non-powered mugger they just beat up and then some officers have to drive down to the PRT HQ to pick them up.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2023
  20. Lement

Lement Blushing inComplete Coverage

I was mostly thinking about not paying taxes for waitressing job, though there's always money laundering.

"Yes, I totally made all this from tips from few particularly rich men. Want a picture of my waitressing outfit?"

I sit corrected, then. Granted, the lack of names or getting more involved after probationary sentence ain't great, but it does serve an intensifier for excuse to include them in a story, especially when combined with author fiat improved fortunes permitting that.

21. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

That sounds like a cover for prostitution.

22. libertinlary

libertinlary Making the rounds.

The third option is becoming an actual ghost and wondering into the wood’s and living the Christopher Knight experience

23. Clmineith

Clmineith Your first time is always over so quickly, isn't it?

It absolutely does. Is that on purpose? On one hand, it would be the perfect excuse and hits where it hurts for Danny/PRT. On the other hand, it's really hard to imagine Taylor using that specific excuse.

24. Rymu

Rymu Connoisseur.

Depends on your fanon/headcanon regarding Taylor and her folks. Though at this point, I'm pretty sure Taylor would do/say a whole lot if she thought it could hurt the PRT or Danny. That it helps hide her cape shit would help too though.

25. Extras: Omake: Real Steel
    apeljohn

apeljohn Non-Player Character

Real Steel

"You know, Director, when Phase first showed up, I was worried she'd be a bad influence. She'd make the environment toxic, sow discord and doubt, turn our young heroes away from heroism...

"You'll be pleased to know I don't worry about that any more."

"That's good to hear, Weld. Does that mean that -"

"It means that I now think she's right, sir. Every ridiculous accusation that she spouted to justify her bad attitude? As far as I can tell, they were all true! Her loathing of the PRT and Protectorate? Justified. Her refusal to risk her life improving our image, when some of us used that image to get away with trying to murder her? Principled. More principled than either of us, when we were 'just obeying orders' to pressure her into shutting up and playing along."

"What are you saying, Weld?"

"I'm saying that either the Wards is a hero training programme or it's a weapons development programme with aggressive PR. It can't be both, because no true hero-in-training would stand for seeing their peers treated like things. I won't stand for it.

"By next Friday I want to see a written agreement that you'll leave Phase in peace and stop trying to shove her into costume. And I want to see measurable progress made in prosecuting Shadow Stalker and Ampere for their actions. Or I'll be resigning from the Wards programme as loudly as I can manage."

"What?! Weld, I can't promise those things! Even if I want to let Phase slope shoulders for the rest of her tenure, there's nothing to stop the Chief Director overruling me."

"You certainly can promise that you'll lay off Phase. You just have to be willing to resign in protest too. I respect you a lot, sir, but it's time to decide: are you a leader of heroes or a servant of bureaucrats?"

"...Anyway, crimes in Brockton Bay are well out of my jurisdiction. I don't have the leverage to interfere in Emily's investigation."

"Even though that investigation has a massive conflict of interest at the heart of it? Seems like the kind of thing Internal Affairs would be interested in. Or the District Attorney. Or, hell, even Congress. Have you actually tried to kick up a fuss? Taken any steps to stop the inevitable slow-walking? Or weren't you willing to burn that much political capital on one ornery Ward?"

"Weld!"

"You may be willing to wash your hands of what goes on in other branches, sir. I'm not. But maybe my resignation will give you a bit more of that leverage you needed?"

"Ah... I'm afraid you actually can't resign, Weld."

"...I beg your pardon, sir?"

"As a Case 53 deemed under-age, you're under PRT guardianship until you reach your majority. Just like... like..."

"Just like Phase. I see. Well, I guess she'll have some company the next time she refuses to participate. And I'm sure our other Case 53s will be fascinated to learn that they're viewed as conscript labour."

"Weld..."

"Although I've got to warn you, sir: if you think Phase has hard skin? She's got nothing on me."

Director Armstrong in this fic reminds me unfavourably of what Gilbert & Sullivan memorably called "apologetic statesman of a compromising kind". I've seen the archetype enough times in real-life management: they're your best friend until it would actually cost them income or influence, at which point they go selectively spineless.

He's very happy to tell Phase how he's absolutely on her side, and talks a good fight about all the pressure he's dealing with. But given that he's already passed on several very badly-thought-out orders - because heaven forfend he have to justify his lack of action to others! - it's kinda hard to see this as anything but window-dressing.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2023
  26. KingCrimson1081

An angry teen is only an angry teen until someone realizes that they have a point then said angry teen becomes a revolutionary.

27. Nikas_Zekeval

Like I mentioned before, regular teens don't offer that much, one throws a fit about working conditions at Starbucks? You have a file of dozens more to call in to replace them. Parahuman teens are like prodigies. If they stop wanting to perform on command, you better be willing to bargain. There aren't that many to begin with, and they are not interchangeable once they become known.

I wonder, how widely known is the fact Phase has to live on base? Among the rank and file that is.

Because Taylor only has a temporary ID, a permanent one is requires her official costume and name, which requires power testing. Now AFAICT Gauss had to have someone get creative to give Taylor a longer term temporary ID. Thing is, I don't see it lasting two and a half years. But I do see it having an automatic timeout in the system, X number of days and it becomes invalid, automatically.

Now this could set up an interesting situation. Because of the uniqueness, and possibly using the system in a way it isn't supposed to be? That ID getting near to expiring falls through the cracks. Phase isn't in the official directories for messaging or email, Emma had to wheedle that out of Armsmaster. So she might not get any automatic warnings the ID is getting near to expiring. Heck a temporary ID might not have an automatic warning, since it is temporary. It isn't supposed to be renewed, it is supposed to last just long enough to officially onboard a cape and get her a permanent one to replace it.

But how many people know these details? Taylor could return from school, a run, or an 'enthusastic run' one night, and find herself locked out. And if the PRT guards don't know Phase's situation? They just think she is an irresponsible kid who ignored all the warnings to update her Access ID, and the people who can fix this went home already. So they tell her to go home, figuring that a night locked out and having to explain to her parents why she's back early will teach her a lesson...

28. Zernoc56

Zernoc56 Know what you're doing yet?

this is what I like to see. To quote an absolutely banger song “We all lift together…”

29. KingCrimson1081

I can imagine Taylor going along with this despite her power being perfect for just you know walking through the guards to prove who she is, and then tell Jim about what happened that night once she regains access to the building. Cue there being an incident of the PRT having to find Taylor some off base housing or figure out some other kind of solution for Taylor cus the easy solution of a permanent ID through power testing is definitely off the table. Of course this ignores the possibility of the PRT declaring Taylor missing/a runaway when she failed to show up for lights out or something.

30. Nikas_Zekeval

Taylor would grab the excuse with both hands. Maybe Jim arranges a place for her to stay the night?

It might take a bit to figure out Taylor isn't back, given how she avoids people. Till Jim calls up and asks Armstrong "It's 1 AM. Do you know where your Ward is?" Then reams him out for kicking Phase out of the building, and using that as leverage for different housing arrangements.