• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

One Rabid Fox changes the Succession Wars [A Battletech Isekai]

My 'standard 240 mafia' for mechs is a:
30 ton 'super locust'
40 ton 'PPC Clint'
60 ton 'slimmer Katapult'
80 ton 'Awesome'

basically the same engine and gyro, same weapons (PPC and medium laser), same electronics...

This can then be extended to 80 ton tracked vehicles and 65 ton wheeled vehicles for battle tanks and supporting heavy tanks.

Whilst the 240 is a good engine to produce (ranked number two in my books), I still think the 300 is the champ. Solid choice for 100, 75, 60, and 50 tons: at 3/5, 4/6, 5/8, and 6/9 respectively, those tonnages are the sweet spots allowing the most free tonnage for armor, sinks, and weapons.

*edit*

I'd note that this is in regards to standard fusion engines: there really isn't an optimal XL that hits the sweet spot of maximal tonnage free at various speed bands. Closest you'll get is at 5/8 and 7/11 and the 350XL at 70 and 50 tons respective. Other wise you'd have to go to 20, 25, and 30 tons with a 300XL, but that's speed bands 15/23, 12/18, and 10/15 and while it gives you the most tonnage free for those speed bands, out side of the 11 tons free for the 30 tonner, it becomes pointless.

Last edited:
As far as introtech is concerned 240 is a wonderful engine. Spider at 30 tons. The Denton variant of the Clint at 40 swaps the AC for a large laser. At 60 tons there is the merlin. At 80 the awesome. Don't know aerotech well so that is not something I can comment on. He already listed some great 80 ton vehicles. 60 ton is the bulldog or manticore. Not sure at lower weights but there might be a few and if not make a custom design for it.

When it comes to mechs you can make a great if expensive scout at 30 tons. A Phoenix Hawk knock off in the Denton at 40 tons. At 60 tons a better brawler than a trooper medium but a bit lighter than say a thunderbolt. 80 tons is an awesome. You could make a build that allows for more close range firepower but you can just make an awesome.

240 is great for most designs.

My 'standard 240 mafia' for mechs is a:
30 ton 'super locust'
40 ton 'PPC Clint'
60 ton 'slimmer Katapult'
80 ton 'Awesome'

basically the same engine and gyro, same weapons (PPC and medium laser), same electronics...

This can then be extended to 80 ton tracked vehicles and 65 ton wheeled vehicles for battle tanks and supporting heavy tanks.
Can also make a 60 ton trooper quite easily or a nasty brawler in the 80 ton category that's basically the bastard child of a Crockett and a thug.

Wow that 240 rated engine really steps the MC firmly into the ASF and tank supply chain. The Sparrowhawk, Hellcat, Centurion, Stingray, and Deathstalker ASF all use that engine. On top of the Demolisher/Devastator, Schreck, Manticore, Partisan, and Rhino tanks.
Alas in most of those cases the Suns lack the IP or no one makes the things anymore

If no one owns it then the MC can create a version that bypasses the patent or "rediscover" an equivalent with "research."
Arimai is correct
Alas in most of those cases the Suns lack the IP or no one makes the things anymore

The Stingray and Deathstalkers will be showing up as I've previously mentioned running a Pitban instead of the Vox aerospace engine, which I assume would be enough to bypass a patent or at least in conjunction with alternative weapon manufacturers even if in the same class loadout especially since the F 77s would be by the time its relevant fielding clan spec ER Larges in defense of Sakhara I mean by that point whats ComStar going to do call him a liar that those aren't SL royal model lasers (Really how would the telephone company know?) I mean the dragoons in 3025 aren't likely to go 'Hey those are Clan lasers' 'whats a clan Jaime?"

Arimai is correct

The Stingray and Deathstalkers will be showing up as I've previously mentioned running a Pitban instead of the Vox aerospace engine, which I assume would be enough to bypass a patent or at least in conjunction with alternative weapon manufacturers even if in the same class loadout especially since the F 77s would be by the time its relevant fielding clan spec ER Larges in defense of Sakhara I mean by that point whats ComStar going to do call him a liar that those aren't SL royal model lasers (Really how would the telephone company know?) I mean the dragoons in 3025 aren't likely to go 'Hey those are Clan lasers' 'whats a clan Jaime?"
Looking at current patent laws and the shit GM and Ford pulled off on the inventor of windshield wipers. A different blade shape, motor assembly and circuit arrangement was enought for GM to get away with it. Ford got dinged because their version still used three sections identically.

RCA got away with their theft by releasing their television earlier and bluffing, while they delayed the trial until the inventor went bankrupt.

I mean by that point whats ComStar going to do call him a liar that those aren't SL royal model lasers (Really how would the telephone company know?) I mean the dragoons in 3025 aren't likely to go 'Hey those are Clan lasers' 'whats a clan Jaime?"

Something something PRAISE BLAAAAA- *lasered to death*

Dragoons are investigating. Wolfnet suddenly receive a very polite letter from the ENTIRE Federated Suns to, and I quote, 'cut that shit out or its on like Donkey Kong'.

The Fed Suns have a newly found love for giant pew pews and they will NOT be separated from their supplier.

Bofor's list of shipyards in FedRat Space
More importantly they have a love of JumpShips and dropships . Because if our essence generating SI can make yards he can make the shit to fix existing ones that aren't blasred into tiny bits from the 1st and 2nd SW . And between Kathil, Galax, Layover, New Syrtis, Panpour, Firgrove(Albeit that one is presently a repair yard only), and Delevan and maybe yards that in otl got written off....if even a tenth of the pre 1st SW capacity can be restored that would go a ludicrously long way in fixing the Suns economic and thus political problems. Like seriously having the lift to spare would increase the economy and stability of the realm massively.
Not to mention the military implications.

Edit:
Williowick also has a yard of unknown capabilites from the Star League era

Last edited:
More importantly they have a love of JumpShips and dropships . Because if our essence generating SI can make yards he can make the shit to fix existing ones that aren't blasred into tiny bits from the 1st and 2nd SW . And between Kathil, Galax, Layover, New Syrtis, Panpour, Firgrove(Albeit that one is presently a repair yard only), and Delevan and maybe yards that in otl got written off....if even a tenth of the pre 1st SW capacity can be restored that would go a ludicrously long way in fixing the Suns economic and thus political problems. Like seriously have the lift to spare would increase the economy and stability of the realm massively.
Not to mention the military implications.
Federated Boeing: "WOULD YOU LIKE TO BE MY FRIEND?"

"Uh sure."

Yeah, Kathil, and Galax are due to be mentioned soon.

Sakhara 1.7
Sakhara

--
Another day of wondering if they'd looked like idiots out there. It wasn't self doubt, her self criticism was rooted in whether they looked like idiots, not whether or not they really were idiots. Sakhara had a reputation that was more than the family names of graduates.

She took the evaluation without looking him in the eye, and her mouth set in an even line but really they had done well by any reasonable metric. Colerdige had no grounds to complain , nothing had gone wrong with the exercise. Alexandria should have been happy that there hadn't been any screw ups to make her look bad, but she'd spent the exercise stifling under the impressions of leadership.

Not because she couldn't handle the exercise but because the exercise gave that impression. It didn't help that it was now in the upper nineties as the sun reached its peak and day time temperatures were at their all time high... and she had already been sweating from the pre exercise morning run, so her long dark hair, which had come loose from her ponytail was starting to stick to her face.

It didn't help when she nearly fumbled to catch the water bottle tossed in her direction... and Justin Xiang Allard did snatch his out of the air. "Thanks." He grunted, before even looking at his evaluation. "Huh, what's this?"

"I know we talked about this last week, but I'm serious Justin the Black Jack as a mech is holding you back. A rifleman, even a Centurion would be a much better fit."

Alexandria glanced between the two. The Rifleman was his alternate mech of choice she'd seen him take an Academy Rifleman through a handful of the fire courses their class had been running this semester. Justin stared at him, "You said putting me in a Warhammer wouldn't make a difference."

"No I said putting you in a warhammer wouldn't change your chances of getting a different post graduate tour of duty," That wasn't necessarily true Alexandria silently observed. Given his position he could have easily asked and received Justin's posting as a secondment to a nominal staff position... it would have been typical of noble favor trading, but she didn't say that, "A heavy mech would almost certainly better reflect your fighting style."

"He's right," A large weathered hand clapped Allard on the shoulder, "Something like a Centurion AH would be more your style." The mustachioed officer remarked paused thoughtfully and then added. "Or a Hunchback."

Henry Clay's eyes alit, "That's an idea too, we've got a number of 185s in the spare parts." There was a reply of agreement saying that the ChemJets were good guns that only emphasized the odd social station of this gathering of regular students and their lecturers. "Well we'll see what all Haakon brings me when his caravan gets here." He didn't elaborate what that was supposed to mean, and the instructor just nodded. The older man gave no indication that he knew just that he treated it as normal... presumably it was what it sounded like, Haakon must have been some merchant... probably one of the JumpShip captains in the Rabid Fox's service. "Anyway speaking of a week, you'll need to be ready, I'm sure Coleridge is going to want a rematch sooner."

Justin nodded, "Its cause we didn't -" He paused.

"You didn't botch the course?" Henry suggested politically for once.

"Right, we didn't botch the course." He paused and did the math, "So a bunch of LRM 15 launchers this time." Allard didn't go so far as to actually say they were going to lose, but, "Last time we didn't have any one roll snake eyes, but more missiles coming in their first wave of missiles is going to hit harder, and they'll burn through their ammo quickly, so I expect they'll want to close which means those Large Lasers and then kicks and punches."

She decided not to bring up the previously mentioned detail that the original plan had been presumably to run a repeat of the exercise that had gotten them in this mess presumably closer to the end of November rather than ... presumably the vice chancellor intended to move it up far closer to the beginning... "We're not ready." She interrupted.

Justin nodded, if sullenly, "She's right,"

"I'm glad you appreciate that." He replied,

"Thanks." Allard replied the word dripping with sarcasm, "Oh god, what are you thinking? You said the Duke of Robinson is visiting, so, he's got to be getting her soon if Coleridge wants us to run the exercise sooner rather than later." That was a good point.

"Anyway check your emails, I'll have something out before Thursday, and don't forget I have a planned combined arms familiarization course being prepared."

"Those devastator things?" Justin asked

"Yes." He nodded, "Anyway we've got a staff meeting."

"Yes, we do." The mustachioed instructor agreed, the faintest hint of resignation there for a moment, "as the young man said the Duke of Robinson is visiting."
--
It was Thursday morning.

Captain Haakon was a tall, gangly man with thinning dirty blonde hair. He looked uncomfortable in the full gravity of a planet that dimmed his otherwise gregarious demeanor. Yvonne had evaluated the new arrivals carefully. These Jarnfolk showed no indication of being invaders... of even for that matter having BattleMechs... at least of their own... but Haakon had brought with him a number of JumpShips, and was deferring to the younger man.

It left them largely frozen out of the conversation. This was business. JumpShips were protected assets molesting travelling merchants was a good way to piss off all the other merchants... but it took a lot of effort not to ask what the DropShips were carrying.

It took a lot of effort to stay here and wait in the hopes of some tidbit of information, rather than to badger the Techs manning the areas to give a run down on the various DropShips attached to the JumpShips at Nadir. Like their carriers, the Droppers were all painted in the same style of bright colored animals rendered in slim ribbon like forms interwoven with one another across the hull.

They were immaculate... probably just given a fresh coat of paint before arriving, and reconnecting. There was more going on here. She could feel it... this wasn't just she'd almost say Haakon was here to pay homage.

A part of her, attempting to divorce from preconceived notions, chauvinism of the inner sphere suggested it was possible that it wasn't impossible that there were deep periphery civilizations that still had jumpship manufacturing technology. Worlds that hadn't been subject to Amaris or the succession wars...

... and the idea that the JarnFolk had broken from Rasalhague and escaped the Combine had the ring of truth, it was plausible. They had been separated from each other for centuries and that the JarnFolk was still obviously hostile to the combine did as a body politic prefer isolationism rather than any other option. A realpolitik answer to the Combine being too powerful for a periphery state to face head on.

... but not everyone liked realpolitik so in theory here they were. That would be the story they would tell in secret... but for the most part he would let the JarnFolk go and trade using his landhold's port as home where they needed, and any other ports on any other worlds he could lay claim to... but the fleet would be left to its own devices... because he wanted to bolster the Federated Suns more ... "Field Marshal Davion?"

Yvonne paused, and bought time by taking a sip from her tea cup. As duchess of Victoria it was very difficult not to exercise effort on her domain, and her cadet branch's behalf in situations like these. It hadn't escaped her that her family seat was almost double the distance of the comfort zone, Bristol wasn't much better... she had considered bringing up the star charts which showed a number of dead abandoned worlds but it ran into the same problems. Rushing off to New Avalon would likely be the correct decision for the dynasty and the realm as a whole for all the disruptions it might cause... potentially being able to say the first shipyard to somewhere deeper in the FedSuns as a realm though seemed more practical to its defense... and that could be wagered if Ian just saw sense and awarded the entire planet to go along with it.
--
The JarnFolk detachment of JumpShips was a purely mercantile venture. A mix of Star Lords supported by Merchants and with a mass of cargo dropships of various makes. That was multifold, but its first priority was to give cover for any construction that took place. 'Oh we imported it from trade with the JarnFolk', but it was also to sustain a merchant fleet in operation with a separation from his own. They'd take up trade routes from Sakhara to Robinson and in the area of the Draconis March, and that would potentially free his public JumpShips to focus on permanent routes to and from the interior of Davion Space.

There would inevitably be push back from mercantile interests but the JarnFolk were a feasible cover hopefully until clear capital lines could be set up for domestic production. Once factories were up and making money he could scale back such things... but he needed to be able to justify putting up a JumpShip Yard, and that meant both the machinery had to come from somewhere, and that there needed to be an explanation.

Mules were large but not quite large enough for what he needed so that mandated the presence of Behemoth class DropShips, which was a dice role... but they were thankfully sub nine hundred in BV. The whole trade fleet was still more than a years accumulation but he'd be relying on spending C-Bills to bring anything else online, and hoping he didn't even need to do that.

He calculated via the power of almighty napkin math that he was at the threshold where even with the excuse of needing to bring in partners there was too much attention right now. He needed to bring on actual established partners, and he needed to do it soon while reaffirming his legal and social status benefits.

In short Yvonne Davion's proposed new Avalon trip was almost certainly a step in the right direction... but it would also have to wait until the New Year.. but it was impossible to put it off until this year's graduation... but with Lord Aaron, the duke of Robinson due as early as the end of the first week of November leaving now wasn't an option.

Still if he did miss graduation this year, since he probably wouldn't return until potentially June that was going to mean missing most of the class shipping out to their unit postings. "What do you think Haakon?"

The Jarnfolk thane nodded, "The intention was to build two shipyards, my Jarl," He reminded, "Changing their order might not overly complicate such things. The halls here will always be more vulnerable, and waiting would allow more fighters to be based here."

Henry had always liked the slantback, and preceding swept wing design hadn't been hard with the essence to modify and play with... the basic model was cheap in cash terms even with its LosTech weapons. He waved a hand calling up the interface, "The Factory units are already configured and can produce the 240 engines...there are a lot of things we could manufacture or furnish replacement engines for in that weight range, but I think we should wait."

"So you'll be going..."

"Well I meant wait until Lord Aaron gets here," The whole point after all of the engines had been tanks, and marketing to the DMM. The current Duke of Robinson was a tanker after all. "Whatever we do I still would like the Titans detached."

"Of course that was always the plan." The rake thin man replied.

He might have preferred if regardless of being in runestone esque ribbons clearly showed ravens in flight along the two large dropships hulls. They'd been very expensive, but he was almost inured to the idea of cost when dealing with fighter prices. He hadn't seriously opened discussions yet with the Federated Suns about DropShip and ASF manufacture, but that was a point of consideration...

--

Sand kicked up everywhere as the egg shaped forms descended and then touched down. "The Duke of Robinson will be arriving before their drives are charged."

"I'm aware." He replied. "Hell I don't know if those behomoths will be done unloading by the time he arrives so it doesn't really matter." The mules at least could land on a planet's surface.

"So what did your friend bring you?"

"Mostly parts, I'm hoping to talk Corean into helping construct a line here, to manufacture new build Centurions, it'd be a lot simpler than shipping them from New Avalon." He replied as the Mules were sprayed down with foam. "And truthfully once we have a chassis manufacturing," Forging, casting, whatever, "I expect we will be able start building heavier vehicles. I had considered sending Haakon to negotiate with Mountain Wolf for manufacturing rights for their Merlin."

"What's that?" Justin questioned entering the conversation.

"Its like a Vindicator but it doesn't suck." Don Juan declared from behind them.

"I mean... sort of yes. Its a heavy mech. Mixed armaments."

Alexandria nodded, "Its the first recent new BattleMech design, what about New Valencia?"

"My understanding is they have some kind of exclusivity agreement with the Wolf Dragoons, and they are a small parts manufacturer so I don't know. It'll really depend on what gets said." He shook his head as the vehicles started preparing to clean the foam off and doing whatever safety checks they needed before they could start unloading. "Anyway, for me the bigger concern is what Lord Aaron has to say."

Last edited:
Was Alexandria always this touchy, or is she frustrated because Juan and Justin had to get in a brawl and dragged them all into what she sees as a public asskicking for a punishment, or is the responsibilities and expectations of a noble getting to her with their defeats?

Justin seems to favor slow but hard-hitting mechs, seeing as his signature mech was a Centurion, and he was decent enough in Noton's Rifleman, so steering him in that direction might change things. Him hitting his stride early could mean Candace might not survive their encounter, though considering his favored loadout (AC/20), the shorter range could allow Candace to stay in long range and preserve her leg instead.

Yvonne seems to be chomping at the bit to bring Henry to Ian to get those shipyards approved. Ah, and it seems I was wrong, I was assuming the battlemech talk in Robinson was about past or future lines, I didn't take into account non-canon lines being manufactured on either Robinson or Sakhara. I suppose it's right about the time that Corean migrated, so requesting an extra line in the Draconis March is feasible, especially if you were willing to front the costs. MHD might throw a fit however, though he won't have a leg to stand on if you were personally funding the establishment of the line.

Last edited:
What model of the Merlin?

The Vindicator is not that bad if you are resourced poor.
the big problem with the vindicator is that its hard to eject from
which is a huge problem for a trooper medium since they lack the speed to retreat if things go south.

honestly the best mechs to make for the AFFS wider needs would be the thunderbolt and crusader with a side of catapult. albeit those all use the FE 260. or the warhammer, shootist, and archer using the FE280.

with the FE 240 can also make a much less crappy rifleman but the suns make a lot of AA mechs as is

Last edited:
the big problem with the vindicator is that its hard to eject from
which is a huge problem for a trooper medium since they lack the speed to retreat if things go south.

honestly the best mechs to make for the AFFS wider needs would be the thunderbolt and crusader with a side of catapult. albeit those all use the FE 260. or the warhammer, shootist, and archer using the FE280.

with the FE 240 can also make a much less crappy rifleman but the suns make a lot of AA mechs as is

Yeah, with the Rifleman, Jagermech and the Partisan tank, Kallon really likes to give the FS anti-air units. And it seems like the Crusader in the Suns don't even come from them, the FS only gets a factory from Tao Mechworks later.

Yeah, with the Rifleman, Jagermech and the Partisan tank, Kallon really likes to give the FS anti-air units. And it seems like the Crusader in the Suns don't even come from them, the FS only gets a factory from Tao Mechworks later.
never got why kallon never made the crusader in the suns. they have the engine in production for it. and the specs. post helm its just dumb

So…our MC is clearly not lacking lift capacity and just pulled a pair of Titans to secure the planet/landhold.
Is it bad I want him to pull at least a full SLDF reinforced battalion as his 'escort'? With at least one overlord among the dropships? :sneaky:

Ah, but Kallon would face an insurmountable problem in producing the Crusader in the Federated Suns.

The AFFS staring at the plans and then asking "Okay, smart guy. Where's the autocannon!?"
I mean we do know they buy longbows and many other Assaults and heavies with no boomstick so no autocannon wouldn't be that big of a deal breaker. But I do like the meme

So…our MC is clearly not lacking lift capacity and just pulled a pair of Titans to secure the planet/landhold.
Is it bad I want him to pull at least a full SLDF reinforced battalion as his 'escort'? With at least one overlord among the dropships? :sneaky:
"What do you mean you cannot build overlord? What is matter with you, are fucking stupid, is fusion drive?"

I mean the Overlord's canonical problem is that engine manufacturing or whatever for new drives, thats not a problem.

I will scroll back up through the comments after I get dinner...

"What do you mean you cannot build overlord? What is matter with you, are fucking stupid, is fusion drive?"

I mean the Overlord's canonical problem is that engine manufacturing or whatever for new drives, thats not a problem.

I will scroll back up through the comments after I get dinner...
That's the Excalibur's problem. The overlords problem is raids on the yards/overall tech decay making for a unholy combination

"I'm aware." He replied. "Hell I don't know if those behomoths will be done unloading by the time he arrives so it doesn't really matter." The mules at least could land on a planet's surface.

Why not use the Mammoth? Their the largest cargo dropship that can land on a planet. The BV should be less than Behemoth and will save time loading and unloading.

And can he make clean slate designs or modify available designs or can he only make what currently exist?.

Why not use the Mammoth? Their the largest cargo dropship that can land on a planet. The BV should be less than Behemoth and will save time loading and unloading.

And can he make clean slate designs or modify available designs or can he only make what currently exist?.
Ironically the Behemoth is cheaper than the Mammoth, and they're boht actually cheper than a mule due to the wae aerospace values are calculated (its very silly).

He can make design, thats one of the things of Megamek lab is there is a unit creation, and that will show up later with mechs with quirks in particular, but I'm honestly shit at aerospace designs
never got why kallon never made the crusader in the suns. they have the engine in production for it. and the specs. post helm its just dumb
Well thats an easy fix.

"Kallon you have what?< Okay I want to build mechs liscence me the design, no I don't care that you think it won't be profitable take my fucking money."

Alexandria "are you sure you're not Lyran?"
Which successor state likes aircraft... the capellans .... *angry face*

You really would think the Dracs would do more with ASF especially given their Reimi ring as well, and their Shinobis but like its the capellans who have the ASF shtick in the lore it seems
What model of the Merlin?

The Vindicator is not that bad if you are resourced poor.
I think only the basic model Merlin is available but we could always have the bullshit Snow Bird model show up early

Jaime / Wolf : "What the fuck is that?"

"Its a Merlin, its the first new design of heavy battlemech in the inner sphere in a hundred years."

Jaime looks at the Clan ER PPC, "Oh really?" and "They're made by a company called Mountain Wolf ?"

"Yeah they were founded during the Star League."

"Is that a Snow Raven emblem on that DropShip?"

"No. I mean whats a snow raven, those are clearly Jarnfolk."

Last edited:
I think only the basic model Merlin is available but we could always have the bullshit Snow Bird model show up early
So you aren't going to change some things? The machine gun is kind of pointless with the flamer. Maybe use the Improved versions of weapons. Still the same damage and heat but is lighter.

So you aren't going to change some things? The machine gun is kind of pointless with the flamer. Maybe use the Improved versions of weapons. Still the same damage and heat but is lighter.
Oh absolutely I would delete that in a heart beat probably wouldn't introduce improved weapons immediately but something that is basically the standard merlin would be the starting point

Users who are viewing this thread

Back