1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Redemption Quest (Exalted/Worm) (Elements of Peggy Sue).

Discussion in 'Questing' started by MageOhki, Aug 12, 2022.

1. thewhiteraven22

thewhiteraven22 (Unverified Worm fan)

[X] Alexandria has a mental breakdown, what have all the sacrafices been for? Has it been all for nothing? Every line she has crossed, every part of her soul she sold, they were for nothing.

MageOhki likes this.
  2. MageOhki

MageOhki Not too sore, are you?

Vote Closed: Winner:

[X] Alexandria believes Sol Invictus

3. Threadmarks: Many Claim to be a God. Few are. When you meet one, you will know.
    MageOhki

Many Claim to be a God. Few are. When you meet one, you will know.

AN: Once more into the breech. Yu-Shan is wrapping up (not saying it’ll be this one). Then a slight time skip and a side story on what is going on in Brockton bay. Just the usual… fire, screams, pain, mayhem… Must be a Tuesday.

Sol Invictus, Divine Ignis, The Unconquered Sun, watched as the black clad heroine strugged, emotions clearly flashing through her eyes though her face remained still. He didn’t doubt her goals. He didn’t doubt what she would do to attain them. She was very much a Solar in that regard, he mused. But… she had surrendered too much of herself. Could she find herself again?

No one else spoke for a long moment. Alexandria broke the silence. “I have been in Scion’s presence. You are not him, nor do you give the same feel.” She was silent for another moment. “I can concede you are a God. Even a powerful one, or the most powerful.” She looked Sol in the eyes, to his slight smile. “What chance do we, humanity, have against you, if you are bent on ruling us? How do we stop you?”

Sol blinked. Of all things for her to ask. “The same way the Primordials, the Titans, as I believe the Greek called them, were stopped.” He turned to Taylor, looking her in the eyes. “That is who you are, what you are. You already understand.”

Taylor nodded. “You wouldn’t be you if you sought to impose your will, would you? You would not be The Most High anymore. You’d be another tyrant who I would need to unite humanity to kill.”

The God smiled. “And that is what Exalted are, Rebecca… no, here and now, Alexandria. They are meant to kill the unkillable. They are meant to storm heaven and kill even the Most High if they think they need to.” He shook his head. “They don’t do it by pure brute force. Solars are meant to lead. Lunars are meant to defend and challenge the unchallengeable. Sidereals, to find the way and information. Dragonbloods, to provide the strength of the Armies, and be the pillars of said armies. Alchemicals, for the people. Abyssals, to defend the dead and prevent the dead from destroying life. Infernals, to represent a second chance for principles.”

Alexandria blinked. “You … are saying that Exalted can tell you no? Tell the Titans no?”

“Yes, for the one thing that the Exalted always have, and will always have… is choice.” The Most High smiled. “One of your presidents said it best, I think. Let me paraphrase. “Exalted choose to go to the Moon because it is there. Not because it is easy.

Alexandria had no response. Sarah picked up the thread. “We, the Exalted, are meant to do things. Gods ruling would stop us, therefore…”

“The Exalted would immediately come into conflict with us. It is one reason why I gave the Solars the Creation Ruling Mandate.” He grew tired and somewhat distant as he continued. “I will admit that the Games of Divinity were an incredible lure, and still are. But… I wanted my Solars to have challenges, and I realized, if I, or Yu-Shan as a whole attempted to enforce our mandates, their very natures, along with the Lunars, would lead to a war that would destroy not just us, but Creation.” He shook his head. “I couldn’t allow that.”

The black clad parahuman looked at the God. “You’re saying, after defeating Hell, they’d have stormed heaven, because… they were made too well?”

He smiled and nodded. “Even more so, they were made to win the unwinnable. They were made to be Humanity’s answer to all those who would enslave them, treat them like cattle… I could go on, but I think you understand.”

“There’s nothing we can’t do when we work together.” Taylor’s voice rang with conviction. Sarah and Emma nodded along, with a smile from Corsair. “I know I’m not the best at people things, but…”

“I am better than she is.” Emma smiled, then shrugged. “Sarah is better at ferreting out information for us. Corsair has our backs, and makes sure we don’t get in over our heads. Uncle Danny defends the Docks and our home, Aunt Murderhappy kills that that which will threaten our homes. That’s how we are meant to work: As a team.”

Alexandria thought for a long moment, looking at each exalted. “From the mouth of babes, eh?”

Corsair shrugged. “I’m not quite still in swaddling cloths, I’m afraid, m’lady, but I’ve noted that most Parahumans seem to be at odds with each other… even when they’re on teams.”

“You’re not wrong. While those we gave vials to aren’t as susceptible to it… they can only stabilize the situation to a point.”

Sol picked up the thread. “Towards the end, Queen M-R-L led armies personally in the millions that worked in harmony. And hundreds of thousands of those were Exalted.” He leaned back. “Exalted have teamwork burned into their very souls. While it’s a rarity for the Celestials to prefer being on their own, or stay outside a team, Dragonbloods can’t be alone. Their very souls cry out for unity. Alchemicals are the same way. The Lunar bond to Solars leads them to teamwork with each other as well, and Solars are still human, and humans are social and communal beings at heart.”

“And parahumans aren’t pack animals..” Alexandria nodded. “... I don’t know. You could be using Essence to make me believe.”

Sol shrugged. “You’re correct. I could. By some views, I should... but I surrendered to the Primordials during the War for two reasons: I believed a human was worth it… and I had faith in my Solars, in the Exalted as a whole, in humanity. I was and still am right.

“We’re the chosen of the Incarnate. We are in some ways their children by adoption, given power to do what they can’t. Just like humanity is meant to excel, by the Great Maker’s template, Exalted are to outshine even the gods.” Emma spoke softly. Sol beamed at the Lunar.

“You have learned the lessons well, the most important lessons, Hidden Moon.” Sol’s voice was warm.

Alexandria sighed. “I…” A pause as she gathered her thoughts. “I have been without faith and real hope for so long…”

“You don’t know what it is.” Jessica spoke up. “You've been waging a war that the person who recruited you didn’t believe could be truly won, against odds so severe that they would drain anyone… and you don’t know how to let go, when someone comes to pick up the burden, not just for you, but beside you.”

Alexandria looked at the therapist turned Exalted. “... Is it that simple?”

Sol spoke softly. “It can be… if you let it.”

Vote:
    [ ] Alexandria agrees fully
    [ ] Alexandria agrees, but will still be cautious
    [ ] Alexandria doesn’t agree, but pretends to.
    [ ] Alexandria doesn’t agree and shows it fully.
    [ ] Write in.

AN: Generally, votes are meant for Taylor. But this is more suited. Sometimes even Exalted takes a back seat to what’s going on. Everyone has agency.

Figure 1-2 more scenes in Yu-shan, then onto the “what’s happening in Brockton bay.”

4. thewhiteraven22

[X] Alexandria agrees, but will still be cautious

MageOhki likes this.
  5. gale

gale Experienced.

MageOhki likes this.
  6. MageOhki

Winner

7. Threadmarks: Gods don’t make deals… People do. Occasionally.
    MageOhki

Gods don’t make deals… People do. Occasionally.

AN: Weekends suck for me, so… yeah, at least a regular 2 post a week, maybe 3 is the current plan, since it really doesn’t seem that I can get fired up on my weekends to do anything.
    Story notes: Sol didn’t go all out with his abilities or charms, and Lexy even with those, thanks to a lot of things has an MDV (2nd ed’s term for 3rd’s Resolve) well in the range of elder Solars. What? You think I’m going to actually make *easy* for the Exalted? Boo! Hiss!

Alexandria pondered the god’s words. He was one, that she had no doubt. But… Exalted seemed too good to be true. That’s what she kept coming back to. More importantly, even if she had faith that they could defeat Scion… she already saw disturbing powers each exalt could use. Humanity would live, yes… but at what cost? Humanity had to be free, and like parahumans, the Exalted had to be tied to humanity.

“You seem to not truly grasp something, Alexandria, Exalts, with the exception of the Great Maker's Champions are literally equipped to lead and rule. We did not just create the Celestial Exalts to fight. Even the Dragonbloods are able to administer and lead at levels few humans ever reach.” Sol spoke softly. “We, the Incarana and the Great Maker, explicitly made sure that there were no controls or hidden commands in the Exaltations. They were not crafted to have servants with no free will, because we were and still are enslaved, and we did and do not want our Chosen to be similarly enslaved. Because of that, they truly have the one thing that I, Luna, and the others wished for ourselves and humanity: choice.

Sol nodded and continued his statement. “We made sure of that, not just because of our anger and wishes to be free ourselves. We did so the Primordial ability to tell us what to do, no matter what, would… no, could not affect our Champions. They can and will tell me no. This is what they were explicitly designed and empowered for. We were not going to draft warriors and heroes to fight the Primordial War, and we were not going to make them do anything they disagreed with. That is not the what we wanted for our champions, as we were enslaved by our creators ourselves, and ordered to do things against what we were made to do or be.

Alexandria rocked back on her mental heels. She locked eyes on him. “And how do they stay connected to humanity? How do they make the choices humanity needs to be saved and free? Free of fear. Free of tyrants. Free of being playthings to those with powers they cannot have?”

“Some won’t,” Sol admitted. “I will be the first to concede that. Even my Chosen aren’t perfect. Some will oppose those who choose different paths; the Alchemicals will always lean far more towards being for the people. But, while I wish I could blame the problems the Solars and other Exalted developed strictly on the Great Curse… the truth is, Exalted are human, with the virtues and flaws of such, just like parahumans.”

“... except without crisis trauma, since their crisis comes from doing things, and succeeding or not breaking.” Alexandria muttered bitterly. “But… you will not oppose them joining the Protectorate?”

Sol smiled a bit. “No, because I’m afraid that would amuse me more than anger me. You do realize even Dragonbloods will quickly assume leadership positions and push the directors? If I was informed correctly, the concept is that the PRT Directors lead and issue orders to parahumans as a check.”

Alexandria snorted at that. “I’ve lead the PRT in secret for almost twenty years. Those ‘checks’ are largely an illusion put in place for the comfort of the voters.” She paused and sighed. “And that’s the worry. Everything I have heard states that Exalted live longer than normal people, and they’re natural leaders, which means, the one check that the average person has to keep believing in civilization, at least in America, will go away.”

“We rebuild the faith in civilization, in humanity’s ability to reach for the stars.. It’s already gone, in a lot of places on Earth Bet. Even in the United States.” Taylor responded before her god could. “That’s what I am meant to do: Restore people’s faith, bring them together, have them rally to not only win the unwinnable but build and advance civilization and be good to everyone! Not just rule from a temple and enjoy life.” Taylor shuddered at the last, and Sol smiled warmly at her.

Alexandria turned to the Solar, who had Emma nodding next to her. “And the others who may not agree?”

“Then we deal with them. Life isn’t perfect. We can’t make it that way overnight -- all we can do is fix it one step at a time,” Sarah stated. “We’ve told you the initial design and intent of the Exalted. Two things differ now from then. We don’t have the Primordial death curses affecting us. We have the Great Maker’s Champions. There were never Alchemicals in the Exalted Host or in the Solar Deliberative. Now that they are here to complete us? They will make sure we don't go too far. They do not have the same instincts nor the same abilities the other Celestial Exalts do. They also need humanity to grow in their abilities and capabilities. When they grow more powerful, they become humanity’s homes and cities. They’re incapable of forgetting humanity. A check I have to admit we, the Exalts needed.” The blonde paused, then sighed ruefully. “And still do. Even when Queen M-R-L received, then surrendered to the other Solars, the Creation Ruling Mandate, it was never meant to mean the Solars were to rule even other Exalts. But… it didn’t quite work out that way, because the Solars were intended to lead the Celestial Host. The Great Maker’s Chosen are not going to accept our… or Taylor’s leadership naturally, they’re incapable of doing so.”

Sol nodded. “Well said, Chosen. In the end, it is wise to be cautious of any power given, Rebecca. You yourself, recognize what it can do… by looking into a mirror.” The heroine reluctantly nodded. “It is hard to give up control. And they’re not asking you to. Taylor cannot command you by Heaven’s laws, since when the Last Solar fell, I reclaimed the Mandate. I haven’t returned it. She and her brothers and sisters have to earn it again.

Alexandria raised an eyebrow at that.

Sol nodded. “Not only because of the previous Host’s failings, but because we have changed the Exaltations to some extent. While the Lunar bond still exists, some of the less moral Solar’s ability to manipulate and control them is gone. They will also act as a check, since there is a instinct for the Exaltations to seek those who will fight for their freedom and right to choose. Dragonbloods have similar changes as well. The Sidereals have their own.” He smiled grimly. “As well as challenges that will become apparent to my Chosen over time. One thing we have learned is the Exalted need challenge, and that we did not change.”

“We want to work together with you.” Taylor stated softly. “Having you help and be with us or at least an ally? That’ll make things easier.” Taylor paused. “We won’t stop, though. We are going to do what we have to to save everyone. We will win.” The conviction in her voice rang clear and Alexandria caught some undertones of threat and intent if she became an obstacle… they would go through her.

“I remember what it was to be that age.” The heroine finally spoke. “... If nothing else, I can at least help you not fall down the same path.”

“”Excellent.” Sol grinned. “However, per the laws of Yu-Shan, Alexandria… I regretfully must state you must depart now that our business is concluded.” He paused. “However, chosen… some lessons have been arranged for you with an understanding you are needed back on Earth Bet.” He was rewarded with a groan from Sarah, and a smile from Taylor.

“Sounds fun!”

Sarah dryly responded. “Solars would find it fun. So would Lunars… we’ll see how you feel after it.” The Sidereal suddenly smiled. “Still better than paperwork!”

AN:End Yu-Shan Arc.
    Vote is for after the side stories…

[ ] Taylor, Emma and Sarah go to the first day of school… at Arcadia… as open capes.
    [ ] The above get their GEDs and play Dockworker thugs!
    [ ] Youth Guard attacks! (day before school)
    [ ] Overzealous PRT deputy director attempts to have them press ganged into the Wards.
    [ ] Write In.

8. thewhiteraven22

[X] Youth Guard attacks! (day before school)

I am almost interested to see Renick trying to press gang the Circle. But I wanna see this more.

9. gale

gale Experienced.

[X] Youth Guard attacks! (day before school)

MageOhki likes this.
  10. Threadmarks: Assessments and Plans
    MageOhki

Assessments and Plans

AN: 1 of 4 to 5 side story blocks. Two reasons, 1 to show things, 2: to recharge my mind for the main quest. I do take requests, however. Sorry it was late.

Cauldron Meeting Room, Cauldron Base
    August 24th, 2009, Late Evening Eastern United States Time.

“You called us here, Rebecca.” Dr. Mother laced and steepled her hands together, leaning on the table. “Am I to presume you have information to share about the… Exalted?’

Rebecca Costa Brown, Alexandria, snorted. David, Eidolon, was actually eating a sandwich he had brought unconcerned about Paul’s, Legend’s, glaring, while Contessa was quiet and simply looking at her. Kurt, standing with his back to the wall as always, was the only one paying attention to her, though eying Paul as he clearly didn’t know why the legendary Blaster was angry.

“Yes.” She rolled her eyes. “And possibly more.” Kurt’s eyebrow rose.

“Interesting.” Kurt leaned back. “I’ve read the preliminary data that’s been entered into the PRT’s system. It does make for some… interesting conclusions.”

Dr. Mother spoke. “Did they explain why they distort precogs like Coil and even Contessa?”

Alexandria shook her head. “No, but they didn’t need to. I wondered why, in the Sidereal listing, tending to the Loom of Fate was listed as one of their duties. Then Tattletale explained that the Loom of Fate is a prediction engine, not a ‘set fate’ engine.” Dr. Mother relaxed a bit at that, and Alexandria nodded. “Other comments the teenager made, made it clear: Essence, as they call it, breaks the rules.”

“That is obvious.” Kurt’s glasses glinted as they reflected the light. “Contessa’s path to save… Taylor, wasn’t it?” Contessa nodded. “Was kill Hookwolf before he led his thugs to the Docks in Brockton Bay, which we voted against.” Kurt’s tone was mild.

“And then we didn’t need to, at all.” Alexandria nodded. “Meaning… Essence is something the entities have no idea about.” Kurt nodded in agreement.

Dr. Mother looked at Alexandria. “Surely there is an explanation that doesn’t mean we’ll have to accept this … balderdash of gods and Primordials?”

Contessa actually spoke. “Is it too hard to accept?” Everyone turned to her. “Before Eden, would any of you accept truly, that the Entities existed?”

Kurt stopped Dr. Mother. “I see your point, Contessa.” He sighed. “My numbers don’t know, they can’t assign probabilities. Your paths can’t say either, except accept the offer to go to Yu-shan, with a parahuman they accept.” Contessa nodded. He turned to Dr. Mother. “Just because we believe the information to be false… without proof either way, we need to keep an open mind. If, what they say, is in …” He smiled briefly, amused. “Essence, true?” He shook his head.

“We don’t have a choice.” Alexandria nodded. “The potential gains?” She shrugged. “Our objective is to kll Scion, and remove the threat of the entities. If that means…” Rebecca shrugged. “We are all expendable. If this is what we need to win? To Save humanity?” She shook her head. “Whatever the price.”

David looked up. “Bullshit. They can’t kill Scion, or they would have already.” He leaned back, shaking his head. “I am warning you, these ideas… we thought the same about Glastig, about the Butcher. We’re going to make the same mistakes again, and we’re going to lose more parahumans we could have used!”

Legend’s eyebrow rose. “I’d be careful of saying that… David.” His repressed anger came though. “I know you accessed the preliminary data. And the books. There is enough proof to say that at least the three exalts that we knew about before Armsmaster’s brilliant.” His anger came through again. “Idea were gaining new powers.”

David leaned back, unconcerned by the most powerful blaster’s anger and clearly intent on making his point. “Or they could have just been figuring out their powers. Let’s be real. The number of infinity trumps that don’t have limitations is zero. I’m the most powerful one. We all know this. We have plans regarding this.” He sighed. “Why are we changing our plans as it stands?” His eyes were tired as he asked this question. “We have no proof, nothing but their words to say this, nothing truly provable. If I can’t kill an Endbringer, how can they?”

Alexandria shook her head. “We aren’t switching our plans right now. As you point out, we don’t have proof they can do what they claim. We don’t even have proof for a quarter of what they claim -- some indirect proof, I will concede, yes, for the ability to keep adding powers… but only indirect. But everything they claimed that we could test, was either true, or understated what they could do.”

David nodded. “Except, I can take Shadowy Wings, not a question. She isn’t all that.” He sniffed. “If she’s as powerful as what we’ve been told, she’d have come to Houston to remove a few issues that came to light.”

Alexandria raised an eyebrow. “What part of 'it takes time to train and add additional abilities' is hard to understand? And which matches what we have on her?”

David shook his head. “I’ll admit even presuming that they are Infinite trumps, you get all your powers at once, just about, remember?” He leaned back. “And if the profile we have on her is ‘anything for her family’, then ‘learning’ to kill an Endbringer would be top of that.” He looked at Legend, who nodded in acceptance of that point. “So, forgive me if I doubt severely that they can do what I haven’t been able to figure out. Because, as it stands? Too good to be true.” He shook his head. “We’ve been searching for enough parahumans that can harm the Endbringers decisively, or even Scion for how long now? And a whole batch of them just fall into our laps?” He snorted. “Does anyone else see the problem here?”

Paul leaned forward. “How so?”

David leaned back a tired look on his face. “As stated, as far as we know, there’s realistically only two people, theorized, at that, that could gain the ability to kill an Endbringer. Dauntless of Brockton Bay, and me. And we all agree that in my case, it’s just finding the right power.” He raised an eyebrow in question to determine if anyone would disagree. Waiting a moment he continued on. “Even if we take their words as true, which is stupid… we cannot abandon everything we’ve worked on until now. Didn’t they say they doubted they could do anything to enhance my powers?” He received a nod from Alexandria. Before either could say anything else, a voice broke in.

“Infinity Trumps like yourself, or even any other parahuman at all, have not shown any realistic capability to kill an Endbringer to date, at least from the Entities. We theorize you can, once you discover the right power, but that’s it, and the reason we theorize you can, is I cannot path you.” Contessa’s voice was pointed. “And they do have limitations, they even admitted to such. Mostly how long they can sustain their abilities at a time. I cannot path them once they start using their powers. Which means…”

Kurt broke in. “It is very likely Scion cannot, nor could, oh, Ziz.” Kurt shook his head. “Every time I run numbers on them, they prove them wrong, Eidolon.” David didn’t change his expression, but he did respond.

“And if their abilities aren’t up to instantly killing the Endbringers? Will they have enough power to do it?” Eidolon’s tired snort answered his own question. “And let’s be honest. We don’t know what price the … beings behind these Exalted, if they aren’t entities themselves, playing a different game… will require. We might end up like Eastern Europe after World War Two.”

Dr. Mother nodded. “I don’t like this.” She looked around. “If the ‘Gods’ and these… Primodirals… had their answer to the Entities, why? Why haven’t they deployed them before, or did they wait intentionally 'til we were desperate enough to accept any help, no matter the price?

“That’s a question I have a partial answer to, I believe,” Contessa interrupted, shocking everyone.

Dr. Mother and Alexandria traded a look. “Please,” Dr. Mother asked.

Contessa shrugged. “These ‘Gods’ are not omnipotent. Primordials are limited, that seems obvious.” She clearly didn’t have a problem with what she was saying. “They didn’t know the threat until recently.”

Alexandria blinked and thought. David snorted, not impressed, but Kurt and Dr. Mother were looking thoughtful. Finally Paul spoke for the group. “Like the Greek gods?”

“Makes sense. There are a lot of similarities in various mythos to the information we were given.” Alexandria leaned back. “But the only way to be sure is to… ask. And not the Exalted.”

David stood up, eyes tired and resigned as he looked at them. “And if they lie, in a way you can’t detect? You are leading us into disaster. This isn’t the way to do it. Trusting them?” He snorted. “Even if their stories are true, these... beings probably aren’t any better. Who’s to say we won’t end up fighting them.” He shook his head. “I’m going to go train and prepare Houston, just in case these … Exalts get the idea they can come to my city and give me orders.”

Legend’s eyebrow rose, as David strode out, clearly done, but not caring what the others decided. “Well. I see that your suggestion is the majority view, Alexandria. And David’s position, while I disagree with it, and think he’s over exaggerating, should bear some consideration.”

“Yes.” She shook her head. She blew out a breath, and looked around. “Part of the discussion I had with the teenagers was their disgust at our current methods.”

Legend’s eyes grew cold. “Which we will discuss.” Kurt tilted his head.

“I have a feeling I will be displeased.” The Number man commented dryly.

Dr. Mother snorted. “Let us have them do better!”

Legend spoke coldly and clearly. “It isn’t so much that I truly have a problem, Doctor, with what they accused us of doing. I have a problem with not knowing. Are we responsible for the Case 53’s?”

Kurt suddenly straightened and looked intently at Dr. Mother.

“Yes, we are. However, I assure you, we did warn them, as we warned you.” The middle aged woman shook her head. “We removed memories, because the Path said we couldn’t trust those not to talk about what we did.”

Kurt’s eyes narrowed. “How long ago was this… plan adjusted or evaluated?”

Alexandria blinked. “What do you mean?”

“He means how often do we check the underlying assumptions of what we’re doing, and adjust our plans accordingly.” Legend’s tone was bitter. “I don’t remember a single discussion about it.”

Dr. Mother looked at the two remaining men, both of which had pointed looks. “It was what the Path suggested would be…”

Kurt stared. “Forgive me. You mean the same agent that we know for a fact the dying Entity crippled?”

Alexandria shook her head. “I will be fair, Kurt, while we didn’t bring you or Legend in fully, for reasons that should be obvious…” Legend snorted. “I, at least, thought about the plan on occasion. I just didn’t see anything better.”

Kurt’s eyes narrowed. “... So, while you didn’t reconsider as a whole, it’s because your, and only your judgment, said there was nothing better?”

“Correct.” Alexandria nodded. She looked at Legend, a look in her eyes that was hard to decipher. “I don’t know how you do it, but your hands are just as dirty. Remember your idea about the Siberian?”

Legend looked at her, considering what she said and then nodded. “And I remember who objected.” She nodded.

“I did, and I was not … truly accepting of what we are doing at that time, but…” Rebecca was interrupted.

“You saw nothing better.” Kurt finished. His eyes hooded as he clearly thought it though. “I will agree with you, that knowing wouldn’t have truly changed anything. But the objective is clear. Either a silver bullet parahuman, or an army enough to overwhelm Scion, as we previously discussed.”

Dr. Mother nodded. “So… I take it your objections aren’t over doing it?” She looked at the two men.

“No, they are not. My objection is not being informed.” Legend sighed. “I will admit I find the concept of wiping memories distasteful, but…” He shook his head. “It’s quite possible I suppose that if enough people talked about granting powers and what we were doing, we’d have lost our positions.”

Kurt nodded in agreement. “I understand the risks, and why you did it. But as Legend does… I find it distasteful that you did not bring us in fully.”

Dr. Mother shrugged. “We at first didn’t trust you, admittedly, and as for Legend… I believed he’d play his role better if he didn’t know.”

“Really.” Legend’s voice was dry. “Thank you ever so much.”

Alexandria shook her head. “You’re a good man, Legend. We weren’t sure you’d keep the secret, simply because it’d be distasteful to you.”

“... Rebecca, if you think that of me, I’m honored… but you don’t know what I am willing to do to see my son survive.” Legend’s voice was cold.

Kurt nodded. “In the situation we are in, there is truly no cost not worth paying.” He leaned back. “I suggest we table this discussion til later.” Everyone nodded. “While I would argue you going to Yu-Shan is an extreme risk, Rebecca, it is you or Eidolon, realistically.” Legend’s eyebrow rose.

“Your logic, Kurt?” Legend leaned forward.

“Simple. While we know all three of you are immune to the Scream, as well as several other master abilities you have encountered, which would give you the highest chance of avoiding any similar abilities these ‘gods’ or ‘primordials’ have, you are not a thinker, or able to run a thinker power.” Kurt nodded.

“And unlike Eidolon, I am willing to at least seriously consider the chance that they are allies.” Alexandria dryly said. “Though I think I should take some of Eidolon’s thoughts into consideration.”

Contessa shrugged, as she stood up. “To be honest, I don’t need to model or run a path to have a good idea what these Gods want.”

Dr. Mother turned to Contessa. “Oh? What do you think they want.”

“What Gods always want.” Contessa’s flat statement was her last as she left the room.

11. Threadmarks: Doing things for Others' own good
    MageOhki

Doing things for Others' own good

Houston Protectorate Leader Office
    Houston, TX
    Morning, Aug 31st, 2009

Eidolon sat at his desk, drumming his fingers. He was not pleased his concerns were ignored. He had even talked to Contessa privately, and she had shrugged, saying the Path was unclear, but that Shadowy Wings wouldn’t fight the Endbringers. He looked up as the door opened and smiled. Standing up, he greeted the man who walked in. “Exalt! Just the man I wanted to see.” Eidolon waved at a chair.

“Thanks, boss.” Exalt titled his head. “You know, you’re never happy to see me when it’s time to do the weekly paperwork.”

David laughed. “Considering I actually have a question to ask you about paperwork.”

“Really? No offense, Eidolon, but… you hate paperwork.” Exalt blinked.

Eidolon nodded. “True, but I’m realizing that realistically I should at least learn tricks to deal with it… like correcting a mistake.”

“... a mistake?” Exalt’s head tilted in puzzlement.

David nodded, and he leaned forward, clasping his hands together on the desk. “I know you do not like that Rebecca Costa Brown and Legend are giving Shadowy Wings a pass.” David watched as his second-in-command’s face tightened.

“That bitch should have been given the kill order after killing my brother, boss. Yeah, I’ll be fair, and say my brother was a rapist.” Exalt’s eyes tightened as he admitted that. “But what she did?”

Eidolon nodded. “As well as other PRT officers. But…” Eidolon spread his hands.

“Yeah. But she’s never fought at an Endbringer fight. Coward.” Exalt snarled the last.

David nodded, leaning back. “I pushed for that too. They’re not believing she’s a master, and well…” Exalt nodded in response. “But… we can’t let her get her hooks into more people. Nor, even more critically, kill people who have proven they’re willing to at least fight the Endbringers. Or assist at least.”

“No, we can’t. So… what do you want?” Exalt leaned back. “All paperwork has to go though the Chief Director or Legend.”

Eidolon nodded. “But what if one or both of them won’t be accessible?” He rebutted. “I happen to know the Chief Director is going to be out of town for a week, and Legend will be taking a vacation.”

Exalt’s eyebrows rose. “Well… in an emergency kill order request situation, any Protectorate or PRT Director can request the kill order be processed, and that request goes straight to the President. But… Boss? Costa Brown will do her best to have your guts for garters if you do this.”

“I have my reasons lined up and listed, Exalt. First and foremost, we have no proof, in fact I would argue we have proof otherwise, that she’s able or willing to fight an Endbringer, so that reason is moot. Second, bluntly, even if they had committed crimes, she killed PRT and Protectorate personnel. Without trial, without recourse -- not even in battle, but by ambush and stealth.” Eidolon shook his head. “Add in the fact that she’s built up a network of covert cells to support her are popping up here and there?”

Exalt leaned back, and nodded. “Yeah. Makes sense. Still… you sure the President will go for this?”

“I’ve heard from Legend, he’s been pushing for more aggressive solutions to the problem of villains who aren’t contributing to the Endbringer fights, yes.” David smiled. “Shouldn’t we honor that?” David waved his hand. “We don’t want her forming a parahuman gang now that the Nazis have been at least severely crippled in Brockton Bay, do we?”

“Yeah, Piggot wouldn’t be happy.” The aerokinetic shook his head. “Yeah, and given that she’s also killed villains, and independents, no one will really have a complaint about an emergency kill order being dropped on her.”

“Correct… and I’m just the man to avenge our own.” David stood and looked at the other hero. “She’s been allowed to run rampant and thumb her nose at us. It’s time to remind the villains that they exist at our sufferance, and if they won’t contribute to the Endbringer fights, our sufferance is far less.”

“And the group she’s assembling?” Exalt looked up at his boss. “Think they’re going to take it lightly?”

David shook his head. “Most are teenagers. And the rest are people who are law abiding. Clear proof she’s either a high end thinker or master, no?” His lips curled slightly. “How many of those would have joined the Protectorate or Wards, if she didn’t interfere?”

“Huh, some would have, wouldn’t they?” Exalt shook his head. “Well, let’s work through an application, and see where it goes, Boss.”

“Lets.”

Houston Protectorate Leader’s Office
    Late Evening

Eidolon’s eyebrow rose. The President requesting a video call? He stood up, and punched accept. “Sir.”

“Eidolon.” The President looked from the large television on the opposite wall. “I’ve received your emergency request. Playing fast and loose with paperwork?”

“Maybe, sir. But I feel that given her proximity to potential recruits, and our Wards?” David spread his hands. “Best be acted on quickly.”

“There is that, yes.” The President leaned back and nodded once. “I appreciate your intent. I also appreciate that you understand my goals regarding Parahumans.” Eidolon nodded in response. “I also appreciate that you do not totally tow the line that Director Costa Brown has pushed for.”

“But?” Eidolon wasn’t a fool, and knew that was coming.

“I’ll be honest. I want to sign this, not specifically against Bloody… oh, wait, Shadowy Wings, but to drive the point home that there are lines. But… between her actions in exposing those who prey on innocents, and to be honest, other mass murderers, at this time I cannot.” He leaned forward. “We still have Lung in Brockton Bay, and with the Protectorate weakened due to Calvert’s-” The last word was hissed. “- iInfiltration and abject stupidity, I’ll be honest, my advisors don’t think that they can act as a counterweight until reinforcements arrive, which will take time.”

David ground his teeth. “I could…” He was cut off by a wave.

“Of course you could act as a counterweight. But Houston needs you and you also have LA to cover while Alexandria takes a long needed vacation.” The President’s smirk indicated he knew about the deception the Triumvirate had undertaken. He continued in a more serious vein. “And honestly, profilers in the FBI think she’ll eventually clash with Lung. Either way, we win.

David nodded. “And if in that case, she survives?”

“Reconsideration would be immediate, as our profilers don't think she’s a master, per se, but she is clearly a social thinker and good at twisting people. As you say, we don’t need more of her support cells, much less potentially game-changing parahumans under her thumb.”

“Thank you, Sir.” Eidolon tilted his head in response.

The President smiled coldly. “However, David? Don’t pull this again. The chain of command exists for a reason, and while I understand in this case, the situation and why you chose what you did, here, it still is undercutting your Chief Director, and parahumans report to non-parahumans for a reason.

David triggered a power to keep his expression neutral though he wanted to grind his teeth. “Understood, Sir.”

“Good.” With a click, the screen went black.

David removed his mask and rubbed his face. Tired, he stepped to his window to look out.

“We have a plan. She isn’t as powerful as me. Their little trick of removing powers won't work on Scion.” He shook his head. “And they need to get with the plan. Not come in, Johnny-be-latelies, and demand we change what we do. What we know is the only chance.” He snorted. “And gods? Even if..” He trailed off, the last word echoing in the room. “Worshiping anyone is a fool’s game. We won’t allow it, once we win.”

12. gale

gale Experienced.

Man I can't wait for the reactions a d counters to do there job.

Akuma-Heika likes this.
  13. Akuma-Heika

Akuma-Heika The Devil Exists Within

I believe you said this is 3E, and I am wondering if that includes lore elements because their have been plenty of ones that differ greatly from 2E lol

Edit apparently this is based on 2E... confused am I :p

Last edited: Oct 20, 2022
    gale likes this.
  14. gale

gale Experienced.

2e means a lot more fun, as has be wondering. Do any of the Lunar's have the Fair Folk eating charms. Shaping Combat is useful.

15. MageOhki

As you figured out: 2e, simply because A: 3e isn't complete and B: the more I look at 3e, and others, the less I'm fond of it. some *very* good ideas, but frankly, too many things going sideways.

I have taken elements of 3e, however.

Not yet and frankly, the Wyld isn't an issue... *yet*.

And next post up now.

gale likes this.
  16. Threadmarks: Lucky Idiots With Guns
    MageOhki

Lucky Idiots With Guns

Dockworker’s Hiring Hall
    Early evening, August 31st, 2009

Kurt leaned back in a chair and looked at his friend. “You’re telling me your daughter is missing and has been for nearly 48 hours, Rick?”

Rick, a tall blond muscular man with a wild beard in flannel and jeans with work boots, nodded, then growled. “Given where they were, I’m thinking of Lung's pet thugs…”

“I agree,” a silken smoky voice broke in, and both men turned to look at Shadowy wings, who was dressed in her combat suit. “So… where are Lung’s brothels?”

Kurt snorted. “He’s got a few, actually.” Kurt leaned back, going though the information he had collected over the years. “If I had to bet… if it was ABB who kidnapped her… Jeanette would be at the one at the corner of Magellan and 5th, I’d figure?” He trailed off questioning his thoughts, then nodded. “Yeah, that’d be the one.”

Rick crashed his fist into his hand, and growled. “Then let’s take it down.” He looked at the Abyssal. “Isn’t this something you’ve been up to since you decided to fake your death?”

Shadowy wings shrugged. “To some extent, yes. While I’m pretty sure I can kill every gangbanger in that building, and would enjoy it-” Her sharp smile indicated she really would. “- it’s the girls inside I’m worried about. We’ll need to have people there to cover me… and them. Zoe… maybe, Anne possibly, too, plus some experienced dockworkers?”

Kurt looked at Rick. “That’s a doable plan, yes. Not to mention you and me playing cover just in case Lung himself shows up. I do remember finding a few toys that’d vaporize his head.”

“Let’s see if that slaver comes back from that.” Rick growled. “The Corps taught me how to shoot, and let’s see if I still got it. We owe that fuck anyways.”

The Abyssal smiled. “Sounds like fun.. And that dragon wannabe needs to go. He’s exactly what we fight against.”

Area of Magellen and 5th, Docks, Brockton Bay
    MidNight, Sept 1st, 2009

“Sparkles, this is Watchdog. We are in position,” Kurt breathed into the mike at his mouth. Wearing black and having a submachine gun cradled in his arms, he was looking though a ‘acquired’ set of goggles. The brothel had no idea that the van outside was loaded with people set to destroy their business.

Getting a half dozen dockworkers with former military experience, including one former Green Beret, was easy. Getting the other exalted together was even easier when they heard. Danny, his lady and their friends were going to rip though that brothel like paper, and the squad behind them were going to play medic and cover for the girls.

“Fuck you, Kurt… no, Watchdog. Remember, we spar tomorrow.” A irritated voice was heard through the radio.

“Blame Pixie,” Kurt breathed in to add another comment, but Danny broke in.

“Cut it. Are you in position to see Lung come?” The growling voice was clear.

“Copy that, Dockmaster. We are,” Rick’s voice responded. “Moment he shows, he’ll eat a twenty-five mike-mike.”

The smile was heard though the radio. “He’s only been here a year and already fucked the refugees more than Leviatian ever did, so about time.”

“Roger that.” “Too true.” “No eyes on Blue Falcon yet, they haven’t spotted and reported us,” was heard as others chimed in.

“We are go, Dockmaster.”

Shadowy Wing’s voice broke in. “In position. Breaching in 3, 2, 1… NOW!”

Contrary to popular belief, a standard breach is not exciting when done by professionals who knew what they were doing, Kurt noted in his head, as he provided overwatch, babysitting the too-calm marine Sniper on the roof ten feet away from him. The rifle the man was using was comically large and resting on a bipod, and would have seemed impossible for a normal human to fire, but engineering was an amazing thing.

There was no subtlety whatsoever as Dockmaster walked calmly towards the front door of the building, right into the arms of the obvious thugs at the gate who couldn’t quite conceal their weapons. Their eyes went wide as four mean looking men holding weapons at the ready fell in step behind Danny, and they scrambled as the Dockmaster broke into a sprint, lowered his head as his skin seemed to turn to liquid silver. His hands seemed to shift to bladed implements with six-inch razors of white fire as he advanced.

A gunshot rang out, and the sound of a ricochet spanged off the liquid silver skin as Danny Hebert tore the first man nearly in half at the waist while a very calm gentleman with a beard worthy of Hagrid very calmly put a round through his partner.

At the sound of the first shot at the front, Shadowy Wings’ team broke into the back of the building, slipping in and doing the actual work as her husband provided a proper distraction. Two men died instantly, one to a combat knife in her left hand, as the hallways of the brothel were too shitty and narrow to swing her sword, and the other from a silenced submachine gun from the man following her.

Contrary to the movies, there were no quips, no jokes, no bragging, and no threats as the breach team went about their business with systematic efficiency, shattering doors and silencing guards and eager customers brought in to break the girls, pausing only long enough to point the girls to the clear exit they had created and secured while the gunfire and screaming erupting out front distracted the threats away from their grim business.

Kurt noted an ABB member leaning out a window to point a rifle at Wilson, one of the men shooting at the ABB at the entrance that Danny was mauling. “Second floor, left side.”

“Fire,” came his partner’s confirmation.

Kurt fired a quick burst, the only sound being the mechanical clack of the submachinegun’s internal suppressor made the weapon less damaging to his own ears. The ABB gangbanger dropped his weapon and slumped, hanging halfway from the window with only a few bright red spots to mark his passing. Dockmaster’s grim handiwork manifested in a screaming upper torso being flung out of an office window from inside of the office portion of the building.

Kurt blinked and a man was in front of one of the buildings of the brothel and inside a window before he could react. “Oni Lee, South side, inside the building; he’s yours, Sparkles!”

“On it!” The woman’s voice sounded positively enthusiastic.

“Fuck me -- thirty seconds and he’s already here?” The Sniper cussed.

“Smartphones and capes are a bitch.”

On the announcement that Oni Lee was in play, four elementally-marked faces burst from a nearby van, not even bothering with subtlety as the Dragon-blooded hit team rammed into the South side, and the driver sped back up and left the scene after dropping them. The ABB had deployed a cape; the Dockworkers deployed the kill team.

“Movement. Blue Falcon is on the move in a motorcade. ETA three mikes.”

Danny roared at the notice and proceeded to demonstrate how little he cared about the constricted space in the building as he swelled into his twenty-four foot monster Orca-man form, shattering the front of the building. The cheap construction didn’t even slow his swings down as the Lunar tore through plaster, concrete, and bodies with equal ease, ensuring the panic button would be pressed as hard as it could.

Oni Lee unfortunately did not wait for Shadowy Wings to find and engage him. There was a flicker, and one of the men behind her screamed in pain, a four inch knife withdrawn from his ribs as he slumped. She came around the corner to face the Cape, and all she saw was a man made of ash and a smile holding a cooked grenade.

The Abyssal formerly known as Anette Hebert saw a flash and felt the shrapnel, and the remains of Michael Cooper decorate her face and clothing as the former Army Infantryman succumbed to Oni Lee’s attack, going out with a bang, instantly.

The shrapnel from the explosion visibly ripped through the building as Kurt saw Oni Lee appear again outside the building as the detonation occurred. His return fire ripped through the figure that collapsed to ash a moment later, cursing as Oni Lee was back inside the building, searching for more victims with his shitty blank-faced Japanese demon mask.

“Oni just bounced back in!”

“Ow, fuck.” Shadowy Wings picked herself out of the wall and stared at the messy, dead body of the man supporting her. She growled, whispering a sacred prayer of murder to the heart of the void, as the screaming soulsteel formed in her hand, The black-iron revolver looked “thorny” and oversized in her petite hand, heavy and unwieldy, and yet somehow was light as a feather clutched in her fingertips as Oni Lee ducked back behind a wall. The shattering plaster and concrete left a head-size hole in the wall but didn’t take his head. His ashen clone simply stared at the massive hole as he found a red-haired woman burning merrily on fire coming at him when he appeared. The clone had no time to draw its grenade and kill her before the flames and the aluminum bat tore through the ashen apparition, disrupting it and the grenade it had intended to kill her with.

Lee suddenly found himself between a rock and a hard place as, each time he moved, he found an elemental-burning killer waiting for him, driving him into the hallways, the next rooms, seeming to coordinate and cooperate in a manner that was impossible for anything but the most well-trained and coordinated special forces troopers, instinctively herding him.

The clone was frozen in the air mid-leap through the hallway and vanished into fragments of nothing as the lightning bold chased him through the hallway, herding him. The knife failed to penetrate the skin of the man seemingly half-forged from marble, and the woman with the black aura made him feel as though he was drowning as she wove out of the way.

Oni Lee didn’t realize he was being herded until he found himself staring down the pointed barrel of the most horrifically demonic handgun he had ever seen. There were screaming souls trapped within that writhed, and the shot erupted into a vista of black light and shadow flame as a single round, wrapped in the doomed wraith of a screaming soul, shrieked through the air, impossibly slow. His horrified eyes tracked the impossibly slow projectile from the barrel of the gun for an eternity as the gunshot itself devoured the very time between them.

The screaming of the doomed soul almost drove Oni Lee to merciful madness as the black iron shell pierced the grenade on his vest, then his ribs, and exploded with the majestic void of oblivion within his lung.

The rest of him would be found later scattered across the inside of the building after the grenade exploded. The curious PRT would find fragments of void-black crystal scattered across Brockton Bay and beyond as the broken Shard of Oni lee was consumed by the void and its remains detonated into every instance of the multiverse nearby.

Kurt watched, focusing his senses. He became one with the stone of the building, his sight and hearing reaching a fine point, filtering the gunfire, and soft steps creeping up the roof behind them.

“I have the target.”

“Take the…” Kurt reacted without thought as the soft vibrations slipped behind, and he looked up. From the corner of his eye a gun pointed at Rick. Kurt didn’t even think as his sidearm came out with the speed of thought, and barked once, the sidearm’s bullet streaking with white, crystalline fire as the single round tore through the woman with the gun as Rick pulled the trigger, and the lead car coming down the street blossomed with blood and fire from the inside.

“Hit.” Rick’s voice intoned emotionlessly as a body hit the ground behind him, and a fedora landed on his feet behind him. Kurt’s eyes went wide as the Thor-looking sniper seemed to boil black as the drowning anima erupted around him.

AN: One very happy kibitzer and several very happy friends.
    (Yes, this is ONE of the reasons I wrote this quest.)

17. Ashley9469

Ashley9469 Getting sticky.

Did Contessa just get spawn ganked?

Also, Fuckin awesome man. I love bits like this. I've only seen the ABB get hit like this in a few fics.

gale, MageOhki and thewhiteraven22 like this.
  18. J.G.

J.G. Getting sticky.

OH NOES!

NOT THE FEDORA!!!

MageOhki likes this.
  19. Threadmarks: Hey Eidolon, you missing something?
    MageOhki

Hey Eidolon, you missing something?

Eidolon's Office, Houston PRT, Houston, USA
    Morning, Sept 1st, 2009

Eidolon tapped into the cameras of the Rig using his overrides and sat back with an anticipation he wouldn’t deny. He had read a PRT report stating the Dockworkers had rescued some of Lung’s kidnapped women as Lung’s people had made the mistake of kidnapping a Dockworker. This meeting was to discuss exactly what happened as he only had the first responder report.

He watched as Emily Piggot sat down, Armsmaster… no, Colin now, on one side. Miss Militia was next to him and Emily’s Deputy Director was across from him with a pile of papers. Dragon’s fake face appeared at the end of the table from a monitor.

“Colin.” The bearded man nodded in response to Emily’s statement. “You were the first on the scene. Summarize, please, what happened.”

Colin shrugged, relaxed. “Besides being extremely annoyed with Danny for not inviting me to the fun: brothel raided, Oni Lee and Lung killed, none of the kidnapped women and girls killed, one Dockworker dead. That’s it. Oh, and one unknown cape who tried to shoot a sniper is dead.”

Eidolon blinked. That was short. Before he could ponder just how it went, Emily sighed and asked.

“A bit more detail, if you would.” Before Colin could answer the exasperated tone in the Director’s voice, Dragon broke in.

“Director. In summary, the assault was a textbook operation. After-action reports show that the only fatality among the Dockworkers was from Oni Lee, who was terminated, and his power destroyed by Shadowy Wings. A sniper vaporized, and I am being literal, Lung’s head, and the unknown cape was shot by one of the Dragonblooded exalted, who was working with the sniper… who is now also a Dragonblood. As you know.” Something was off in Dragon’s voice, Eidolon mused, almost satisfaction. “It was believed that Lung would only have Asians working for him, which leaves the mystery of who the unknown cape is. She was of Mediterranean decent, was wearing a black suit with a white blouse and a black tie, and wearing a black Fedora. From Mr. Meagher’s statement, she had appeared out of nowhere, and was pointing a gun at Mr. Drake’s back. He chose not to let her get a shot off.” Dragon shrugged, and now it was clear that not only was satisfaction in her voice, but amusement. “Colin and I theorize that either she was working for Lung, a true mystery on why, given his reputed recruitment, or she’s the so called boogyman that had been associated with several murders of people trying to kill capes. If so, it deeply amuses me that the foot soldiers of the Exalted, you know the ones designed to self reproduce?” She waited for affirmative nods, then continued. “Well, one of the DWA’s Dragonbloods, a Kurt Meagher, was the one to kill her.”

Eidolon stared at the screen. His fists hurt as he dimly realized that his palms were bleeding.

“Well, if more capes end up dead from normal people, we can presume your second theory is right. It wouldn’t surprise me, anyways,” Emily said. “How are the BBPD and the DA’s office taking this? It could be a way to get them under control, this Meagher could be arrested for homicide…” The Director mused.

Renick, the Deputy Director, shrugged at the question. “Considering that the Governor's issued a full pardon to everyone involved, on the Chief of Police and DA’s advice, just to shit-can any attempt by us to screw over the Dockworkers?”

“... Ah.” Emily’s voice was dry.

David stared at the screen and turned it off before anything more could be said He tapped away, scattering some blood on his keyboard. Shortly, a message for the President detailing out that Lung was dead was on it’s way and shortly that kill order would be active… and that bitch would be dead since he would be the one doing it. The Exalted would know that all their claims were false.

Eidolon's office
    Late Afternoon

Exalt burst in as Eidolon looked up. “Boss! The kill order has been approved. Ready to go?”

Eidolon stood up, smiling. “You’ll stay to keep an eye on Houston while I take care of it. Shouldn’t take more than a few hours. Hit her, move on.”

“Boss…” the yearning in Exalt’s voice was clear.

“No, Exalt, it’d take too long for us to get there when I can just use a power to teleport myself… and I haven’t found one allowing me to teleport others yet.” Eidolon looked thoughtful at that, then sighed. “I’ll swap it for a flight power and run a thinker power to find her, then a brute power to make sure I can shrug off any attacks if I get too close.”

Exalt looked pleadingly at Eidolon. “Eidolon… she killed my brother.”

“I know, and I will avenge him for you. This is best done fast and hard. The time given would give Colin and Dragon time to warn her. I don’t trust them not to.” David shook his head.

“... You think they’ve turned on the Protectorate to protect a murderer? Armsmaster wouldn’t!” Exalt stated, shocked. “And Dragon…”

“She always hates kill orders and, frankly, Colin’s loyalty is… questionable now that he’s apparently Exalted or at least imitating their powers.” Eidolon nodded at Exalt’s ahh of realization. “Now if you’ll excuse me…”

“... Make her suffer at least.” Exalt sighed.

“I will.”

Top of Medhall building, Brockton Bay.
    Mid Evening

Eidolon looked at the two security guards. “I’m here to execute a court order on an villian.” He was somewhat amused by the wince of the two guards. “Not anyone in this building. Maybe you've heard of Shadowy Wings?”

“Yes, Sir,” The left guard spoke. “We won’t keep you. Good hunting.” The right handed guard was hiding his glee badly, Eidolon mused. Must be an actual Empire eighty-eight member. They still had capes, though their leader and several of their heaviest hitters were either dead, depowered, or in prison for tax fraud. Removing Shadowy Wings from the Dockworkers would shift the balance back towards the Empire Eighty-Eight.

“Thank you.” Eidolon shifted his power set, and grinned wolfishly as he lifted off.

AN: Sorry this is late, just … yeah, no real excuses. Didn’t edit it for a while.

20. tvo770

tvo770 Getting sticky.

So I'm going start placing bets on whether Eidolon ends up dead or depowered.
    50 Internet cookies on depowered.

Last edited: Oct 29, 2022
  21. Threadmarks: Bringer of Ends vs. an Avatar of The End
    MageOhki

Bringer of Ends vs. an Avatar of The End

How do you kill someone who has already died? If the question had ever occurred to Eidolon, he might have paused in his merry flight towards the Brockton Bay docks. His mind, however, was filled with scenarios by which he might most spectacularly strike fast and hard, and transform the so-called “Exalt” into a greasy paste as an example to those who would defy Cauldron.

Cruising over the docks silently above it was trivial to get a handle on who was out and about. No one ever looked up. Even if they did, it was unlikely that they could do anything about him. His brute powers were rated high enough to take direct hits from an A-10 Thunderbolt’s main gun, and demonstrating surviving a tank shot and a near-miss from an artillery strike in his past, while harrowing, proved his nigh invincibility. Unlike these so-called exalts, he had survived fights with Behemoth, Leviathan and, most recently, the Simurgh.

He wasn’t about to let some puffed-up upstarts usurp his authority or force Cauldron to subordinate themselves to the Dockmaster and his murderous wife.

It only took fifteen minutes for him to spot her coming out of one of the buildings. She had two of the elementally-marked super-soldiers with her, the so-called dragon-bloods. It was almost too easy. The triviality of his strike was almost disappointing, anticlimactic even. The burst of force slammed down to the earth, causing Bloody Owl to smash face-first into the earth as her two escorts were blasted off their feet and carried through the nearest walls, unmoving. Him landing on her back with his knee to a sickening, satisfying crack as the former Annette Hebert’s spine snapped was music to his ears, accompanied by the panicked screaming of the dockworkers who were suddenly fleeing.

Eidolon’s satisfied smile was concealed behind his glowing mask, and he got up and walked forward, intending fully to let the challenge of “Do something about it” live large in the minds of the bystanders who just watched him murder the Dockmaster’s wife.

He didn’t hear the sickening popping of Shadowy Wings’ body as he sauntered away. He didn’t see her get up with a twisted smile on her face or the black sun burning and blackening into her forehead as though someone was branding her with hot iron. He didn’t realize that, to the Chosen of Oblivion, the avatars of Apocalypse Itself, Wounds Mean Nothing.

The thunderous crack and the colossal shock of the heavy slug slamming into his back and the explosion of a vividly cold nothing detonated squarely in his spine as he caromed face-first into the pavement. As he spun and rolled, he saw the Abyssal walking forward, an impossible nightmare revolver aimed at him, with her signature black blade resting easily over her shoulder. The damn thing may as well have been a sharpened car door, so absurd was its size, and yet she wielded it in her left hand with the ease of a rapier.

“You don’t get to hit me with foreplay like that and leave me unsatisfied.” She grinned evilly as the black sun on her forehead began to bleed.

His back HURT, a sensation he’d almost forgotten as the Abyssal came at him firing, eyes wild, with a rictus grin of the damned on her face, her black-star anima beginning to ignite with a void that seemed to consume the very light and landscape until only she could be seen within. With each shot fired it was as though her void consumed the world itself more and more, leaving only him, and her. The ice-cold grip of screaming terror began to settle in his heart.

Somehow, Annette Hebert chilled his soul worse than the most horrifying moments battling even the Simurgh could.

She was on top of him inside the beatings of his frantic heart, and he found himself suddenly on the defensive as an immense pressure from that not-light anima void battered his swings aside, slowing his force, and forcing him on the defensive as Shadowy Wings abandoned subtlety entirely, listening to the whispers in the grim utterdark and exulting in the oncoming reaving of life.

She was toying with him.

He desperately struck aside her pistol before it could bark again in his face, sending the shot into a building, whose wall did not so much explode as be devoured by the black lightning that consigned brick and mortar to nonexistence. His wild swing was turned aside merrily by the blunted edge of her massive blade, then slapped away casually like an unruly child being struck too hard with a paddle.

His force blasts struck her, hit her, hurt her, but not enough to matter. She bled from the nose and ears as well as from the effigy of the black sun on her forehead, that sigil announcing the horror of her existence even as the screams began around them.

Barely thirty heartbeats had passed, and Eidolon found himself fighting for his life and rather than being the centerpiece of the battle, he found himself facing an opponent who was becoming more joyous, exultant with each wound he struck against her. Each broken rib, the kick that took her knee, each time he landed a strike that damaged her greatly, the would literally broke back into place, like an unholy marionette doll being repaired by its mad creator as fast as he could break it.

As the void-black, bleeding owl raised its wings above the docks high in the sky and Shadowy Wings began her leaping, spinning, arcing backhand Eidolon could almost feel and see time slow to a crawl.

He was out of position, off balance.

She was toying with him.

And now, she had finally decided to kill him, with that hot and bothered gleam of exultation on her face burned forever in his mind.

He was going to die.

Somehow, his salvation from oblivion hurt worse than dying would have as a hand almost larger than his torso gripped his leg. Suddenly Eidolon found himself arcing over the massive, twenty-four-foot-tall, mercury-silver-sheathed form of the massive Dockmaster. The orca-man smashed him bodily into the pavement, cratering and shattering a sidewalk, before whipping him upward and over to shatter the ground on the other side.

He barely had the time to spit out broken shards of his own teeth and mask as he went bodily through a brick wall. The concrete street barrier seemed to rush at him with almost lightning speed as Dockmaster flung him over a hundred yards with trivial effort.

As Eidolon rolled over to recover, he realized the massive, multi-ton monster was in the air, and was about to land on him, burning argent as the fight started all over again.

As Eidolon resolved himself to a very bad day, the thought that went through his mind before he leapt up to meet this new attacker was simple. “At least it’s not that nightmare void…”

Shadowy Wings, for her part, stared. She understood and would let Danny have his wrath, but he was going to have to make it up for her. After becoming a Chosen of the Void, being denied a kill was almost worse than bad, unsatisfying sex.

QMN: Eddy, Eddy, Eddy… and this is part 1 of Eddy’s really bad day.

22. aidansidhe

aidansidhe Useless Lesbian

You dumbass...

*In other news, the Endbringers vanished today upon the justified execution of a Triumvirate member gone rogue. Reports state that Eidolon mastered the requisite individuals needed to sign a kill order on Brockton Bay rogue Shadowy Wings. Why the powerful ex-hero reacted in such a way to the controversial cape is unknown, however the ease in which he was ended gives some hint if the Endbringers were, in fact, projections.*

MageOhki and gale like this.
  23. MageOhki

Right, because I've tried: At this time, I'm having writer's block on the 2nd half of the fight, mostly because it's going to go a different way (unless you *all want to see* beating a dead horse...), than initially sketched.

When it gets done, and edited, it'll be up.

Prince Charon, gale and Ashley9469 like this.
  24. MageOhki

Waiting for editors to wake up and edit!

It's done, and one more side story, then to the main quest!

Balatro Philologus likes this.
  25. Ashley9469

Ashley9469 Getting sticky.

Awesome, been awhile.

26. Threadmarks: Exalted grok Politics
    MageOhki

Exalted grok Politics

AN: First of the two last side story bits. Sorry it took so long.

Shadowy Wings leaned against the wall of the half-destroyed building she had settled against as she watched Danny land on Eidolon. As she watched the squishing, she titled her head and whistled as she picked up the sound of screaming jet turbines.. “So… Dragon’s arriving.”

The nearly 15 meter long dragon shaped aircraft slammed, crushing the remains of the destroyed warehouse, and a voice rang out. “Stand down!

The 24-foot tall, silver Orca-man turned looked at the Dragon, pointed and uttered the words, “Fuck off.”

The blast from Eidolon rocked Dockmaster a little bit before the monster in liquid silver darted forward at too-fast speeds to snatch up Eidolon as he tried to fly by the ankles before the cape could get away and whipped him around like a flail, punishing cars, concrete and random objects for the mere crime of existing while bystanders were recording on their cell phones from what they thought was a safe distance. Several Dragon-bloods were doing the same.

The dragon mecha tilted her head one way, then the other, then lowered it, and a giant sigh came though it’s external speakers as its head touched the ground. “At least don’t kill him.

“Danny’s going to do what Danny wants.” Shadowy Wings’ voice was clearly picked up by Dragon’s external mic. “He won’t even let me put paid to that asshole for attempting to murder me. I’ll admit he’s kinda sexy when he’s pissed off.”

A hatch opened on the top of the mecha's head, and an average-seeming woman slithered out, wearing a bodysuit and a domino mask. Spiriting over to Shadowy Wings, she looked her dead in the eye. “We can’t have him kill Eidolon.” Dragon shook her head after saying that and then added, “Not that I think Eidolon is in the right, and the kill order is right now in front of a judge being revoked…”

“Self-Defense is absolute, and we don’t need anyone willing to kill their own allies from ambush for the funzies.” Shadowy Wings looked Dragon in the eye. “I will honor the legality of no execution orders, ever, especially not against my family, and neither will Danny. Do you fully understand me?”

Dragon looked her dead in the eye. “I came intending to make dammed sure Eidolon didn’t execute an illegal kill order he got the President to sign off on, using a loophole in the law that wasn’t cleaned up, even after the last time it was brought up. Because bluntly, I don’t approve of kill orders at all, and this is why-”

Dragon and Shadowy Wings were forced to dodge out of the way abruptly as Danny exploded out from the wall they were next to, ducking debris and angry orca-man as the Lunar skidded to a halt fifty feet away, his claws rending a twelve-inch furrough into the ground as he arrested himself. Danny shifted into a moonsilver bird and shot into the air impossibly fast, almost like a moonsilver bullet, chasing his prey into the sky at impossible speed.

“Eidolon made his bed, he gets to lie in it. If Danny kills him, I’m not going to stop him… and neither are you.” Shadowy Wings set herself easily, but firmly, between Dragon and the Mecha. “You pays your money, you takes your chances.” It was an odd turn of phrase coming from a woman who had once been an English teacher.

Dragon simply looked at Shadowy Wings. “It isn’t that I really care if Eidolon lives or dies. After his latest stunt, I’d cheerfully throw him in the Birdcage. Or, if he got the death penalty from a jury, not care when they electrouted him.” She shook her head. “It’s the politics of the situation…”

Almost as though to point out the utter irrelevance of the politics, Eidolon and Dockmaster’s warform cratered the concrete together, Dockmaster on top, and the almost petulant way the Lunar jumped up and down, repeatedly stomping on Eidolon reminded Dragon of an angry child or a cartoon.

Dragon looked, saw that Eidolon was still breathing, and shrugged. “As much as I hate to admit it, Eidolon occupies a role we can’t fill… yet.” She smiled toothly. “But I’m sure you realize what’ll happen very quickly once that changes. You aren’t stupid, nor is your husband… are you still legally married?” Dragon paused and shook her head at that irrelevant thought.

“If Danny was going to kill Eidolon he’d be dead already, which is why I’m irritated. I was going to kill him, had him dead to rights, and I was gonna send his head to the president with a treasure map to find the rest of him, scattered across the US. Danny’s teaching a lesson. His claws can shear through Chobham armor like it’s made from tinfoil. We tested this. He can kill Eidolon’s shard at any second.” The Abyssal huffed. “He’s going to need to work long and hard to make this up to me.”

Dragon shook her head. “I’ll cover it.” She eyed the Abyssal. “Like I said, we need him alive… for now.

“GANGWAY COMING THROUGH, ‘scuse me ladies.” The Dockmaster had a battered and visibly bleeding Eidolon in one hand and was doing a linebacker rush through derelict buildings as he passed them, before spiking the “ball” in the end zone of a trashed Chevy car which promptly caught fire and merrily burned.

Danny stomped on the fire, and Eidolon, repeatedly to put the flames out. “Had enough, dipshit?” The last stomp was clearly petty.

The orca-man reached down and pried Eidolon’s limp and unresisting form out of the wreck, while beginning to walk towards the forming line of PRT officers, Eidolon swinging easily in his grip by one ankle.

It was morbidly fascinating as the two women followed Danny to the PRT and watched him open a containment truck, fling Eidolon in hard enough that the truck lurched forward, and look at the agent in charge. “I’m pressing charges of attempted murder. Care to argue with me?”

Piggot stomped forward, and eyed the man, glaring at him. “First, I *can’t*. Not won’t -- frankly, this was bullshit, and Chief Director Costa-Brown has already contacted me.” She shook her head. “But given that he acted -- at the time -- under a kill order, no charge will stick. And you now know it.” She blew out a breath. “Frankly, I’d be fine with him dead.” She then returned to glaring at the Lunar. “But fucking politics.”

“Put him on a leash. This is not a request. If anyone else comes after me and my family, let me make it abundantly clear: I will kill everyone in the chain of approval that attempts to serve a kill order on the Docks or the people under my protection. I do not care why it was issued, or by whom. I will let my wife use their dead asses as fuel for a soulsteel forge afterwards. All of them.”

Danny leaned forward and Piggot became noticeably pale as the silver-burning exalt got terrifyingly close. “Do. I. Make. Myself. Clear.”

“You wouldn’t actually…” Dragon began.

“Absolutely would.”

Piggot waited a full minute, squaring off with the first being to ever stand against Eidolon and batter him aside that wasn’t an actual Endbringer. “We can still kill you. There are plans to use MIRVs on cities. And before why not kill orders on say… oh, the Butcher, or to use MIRVs on the Slaughterhouse Nine, I don’t know.” Her hissing was clear, as it was clear she wanted to use another example.

“The Slaughterhouse Nine is about to have bigger problems on their minds rather shortly, I would imagine.” Dragon walked up to Piggot as the Director spoke. “And threatening even nuclear arms is unlikely to move the Exalted. The Celestials have all mastered techniques to negate such an attack.” Dragon sighed.

“More importantly, Heartbreaker triggered the exaltation of an Infernal. And maybe another, but I'm sure of one, and it's why I'm saying the Slaughterhouse Nine is going to have problems. I can show you the chatter. If they’re even remotely as quick on the uptake as the local circle, you’re likely to get reports of a new endbringer as he or she figures out and masters their first battle-shintai.” Dragon paused. “And the Infernals invariably are born from angry individuals who failed to make a difference. If you think the Nine aren’t about to have nightmare fuel level problems, you are sorely mistaken. An Infernal can kill anything that exists… including the Siberian.”

The Abyssal snickered. “Be accurate, Dragon. Any Celestial Exalt, hell, any Exalt can kill anything. How we go about it differs… and I was coming to tell Danny it appeared that a Solar also lit off. Clear Anima display or so PHO video shows.” Dragon sighed and nodded.

“... Another one?” Piggot scowled. “How many are there?”

Dragon shrugged. “I don’t know,” She lied bluntly. A bolt of light had landed next to Eidolon and was remaining quiet.

“I do!” Shadowy Wings’ expression was pure evil. “There were three hundred Solar Exaltations made. About a hundred of them were corrupted into the Abyssals, and another fifty were altered in ways that would make you cry by the creators of the universe they rebelled against to make Infernals… three hundred lunars, a hundred Sidereals, as many Alchemicals as the Maker chooses to light up, and Dragon-blood exaltation spreads by breeding!” Her cheerful, evil smile absolutely lit the area with Piggot’s despairing sigh.

“Fuck me running.” She shook her head. “But… there is one thing that makes me happy.” Everyone who was listening turned to her. She smiled. “You aren’t parahumans, and with the possible exception of the… Infernals?” She received a nod from Dragon. "And maybe Abyssals, by your own documentation…” She smiled. “You’re sane -- high energy, high tempo, driven to do things… but not broken.” She looked at Shadowy Wings dead in the eye. “And you wouldn’t believe how happy that makes me. Do you do murder requests?”

“Nope!” Shadowy Wings smiled. “I’m no one’s assassin. Buuuut if you ask very nicely, I might consider teaching the occasional lesson on why it is unwise to shit in the collective Wheaties of the city.”

Piggot smiled cruelly. “I’ll get the kill order and bounty on Nilbog set up if it’s not already there.”

“Director, if I may? I just sent you markers to identify an Infernal. While they can be just as human as you or I, and just as willing to help as we are, until they prove they haven’t lost their humanity, treat them as a First Contact with alien life from any morality standpoint you understand.” Dragon looked at Piggot seriously. “Figure out what makes them tick and come to an arrangement, and you suddenly have a very high amount of firepower working for you rather than against you.”

Piggot raised an eyebrow, then nodded. “Understood, but I doubt we’ll get permission to at least try…” She shrugged. “But worth a try.”

“This is not a choice we get to make, Director,” Shadowy Wings responded. “If we get an opportunity to get one on our side, we cannot afford to piss away that kind of firepower. I’ve SEEN the memories of the battle shintai of things dead before Rome was a wet dream in Romulus’s mind. If we can come to an arrangement, it’s the equivalent of turning an endbringer on an endbringer. And if not? They are exactly what the Exalted were created to bring down.”

Piggot was about to say something, but was cut off when a battered van careened though the lines, missing everyone, and stopped a few feet from her and the Exalts. The driver’s door popped open,and an exhausted young man slid out. “Yo. I’m Jean-Paul… and I figure you know something about this?” He flashed a golden circle with a dot in it. “Besides some neat tricks I figured out that replaced my old powers.” Several small heads were seen though the windows.

“I think we need to put a cork in the discussion for now, Director. Need to have a chat with Bullseye here on what not to do and how to keep from crapping on your cereal.” Dockmaster shifted down to his human, fleshy form to take charge of the situation before the PRT director could argue.

Bluntly… Piggot didn’t want the headache anyway.

AN: Sorry we’re late with this… Those asking for Eidolon to be depowered… or killed, read the title. And why did Regent show up? Circles are *drawn* together.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2022
  27. Threadmarks: Getting Reamed is bad for the Ego. Getting crushed by a Lunar is bad for the Body. Both is just the cap on a shitty day.
    MageOhki

Getting Reamed is bad for the Ego. Getting crushed by a Lunar is bad for the Body. Both is just the cap on a shitty day.
    Early Morning, Sept 4th, 2009
    Private Room, University of Texas Hospital, Houston, Texas

“What. Were. You. Thinking?!” Rebecca, back from Yu-Shan and shutting down the kill order. “I told all of you that I was going to investigate and they had already agreed to at least attend Endbringer fights, and generally at least not oppose the PRT.” She hissed and added. “There’s only one good thing. They proved they can beat your ass like a drum.”

Eidolon groaned, on painkillers, but not enough to impair his thinking. “They couldn’t kill…” He was interrupted by Legend.

“They could and, frankly, should have.” Legend’s voice was cold. “You went behind our backs, got the President to sign an illegal order, and pissed off the entire state of New Hampshire. Attacking those who eliminated the Nazis and a brand new supremist gang getting into sex slavery doesn’t look good.”

“Then why did…” Eidolon was cut off again, this time by Rebecca.

“Not kill you? Not destroy your powers? Because Dockmaster is apparently very astute politically.” Rebecca, the sometimes-costumed heroine, snorted. “But, make no mistake, the moment they think you’re not needed as a showpiece… they won’t hold back… IF there is a next time… which there better not be.” The dark haired and dark eyed hero looked her fellow in the eyes, boring a simple truth. “Or I will kill you.”

Legend turned and looked at her, while Eidolon shrank back. “Rebecca…” Legend responded after a moment.

Still glaring at the man in the bed, she answered Legend. “Exalted are that potentially powerful. We have been hoping for people to trigger, exalt, what have you, with the powers needed to do what we know has to be done. We have them. And no buts, Eidolon. I might have been successfully lied to, but we just got a clear cut example of just how powerful they are, and they can grow. Not every Exalt is a skilled liar, nor would they all lie.”

“Then why…” Eidolon’s voice was cut off this time by Legend

“Didn’t we exalt? We weren’t worthy by the standards. You just proved why, I suppose.” Legend shook his head.

“No. Siderials are meant to by fate. Solars by doing great deeds, or just trying the impossible, Lunars by fighting and fighting. Not sure on the Dragonblood selection. Abyssals are those who just refuse to die, and Infernals… not sure there, either.” Rebecca hmmed.

“We fight…” Eidolon weakly shot back.

Rebecca shrugged and shot back. “Only so many exaltations to go around. I got a distinct impression some were preselected and ‘guided’ to the point they’d exalt.”

Legend raised an eyebrow. “The … gods can do that?”

Rebecca shrugged. “I have a feeling it was only possible with those who’d have met the conditions otherwise, but maybe later. I think it really applies to the Solars… which means they have very good precognitive ability… or time travel. And I couldn’t get a straight answer out of anyone.”

“So… how is the PRT going to…” Eidolon shifted the conversation.

“Respond to you being curb stomped? By doing nothing. I’ll publicly admit you convinced the President to issue an illegal kill order, which a judge agreed with, and demote you, as well as say that Dockmaster and Shadowy Wings have agreed to attend Endbringer fights.” Eidolon’s eyes grew wide with shock.

Legend answered for Eidolon. “Isn’t that a bit much, Rebecca?”

“No. In fact, it’s having the kill order system seriously reviewed by Congress, plus an article of Impeachment filed to be acted on by Congress for the President.” She blew out a breath. “I have to fix this mess. And figure out how we’re going to handle Contessa dying, because she fucked up.” Rebecca looked at Legend. “Didn’t we tell her to stay out of Brockton Bay?”

Legend hmmed. “It’s quite possible her path didn’t tell her where she was going.”

“Shit.” Rebecca CostaBrown ran an hand though her hair. “Just… not good.”

“We should make…” Eidolon tried to interrupt the thoughts of the two again.

Legend snorted. “Make them pay? For killing a sex-slaving yaukza wannabe, for killing someone who was drawing a bead on them or those they’re working with? While I am not as convinced as Rebecca… though I’ll admit a lot of my doubts have been settled, I can’t see where they went wrong. If they’re the solution, we don’t need to keep the bullshit up. We can start fixing shit.”

Rebecca nodded. “The next Endbringer fight will be… interesting.” She smiled. “That will be our final proof.”

Legend nodded, but Eidolon sighed. “They won’t be able to kill one, I tell you, but you all won’t believe me.”

“Then you’ll get to say I told you so. But I suspect if they don’t kill one this time… they will the next time.” Rebecca’s face was serene.

Legend eyed Rebecca. “We should at least have you undergo M/S screening… just in case…”

“... Finally having hope may screw that up.”

Legend and Eidolon had nothing to say to that.

28. MageOhki

First Quest post of Arc 4 should be up tonight or tomorrow night. It's written, needs editing

29. Threadmarks: The Dreaded Youth Guard attacks!
    MageOhki

The Dreaded Youth Guard attacks!

AN: Hardest part was thinking of options...

Mid Morning, Sept 9th, 2009,
    Dockmaster’s Office, Docks, Brockton Bay, NH.

“Boss?” Kurt stuck his head. “A … Karen Douglas is here to see you. Says and showed she is from the Youth Guard.” Kurt’s voice was amused.

Danny raised his head from the paperwork, and sighed. “Actually expected them earlier, so… eh. Send them in.” He looked at Shadowy Wings who was now snickering as well as his daughter and friends. “They waited til you got back, of all things.”

Taylor spread her hands, and had an innocent look on her face. “Aren’t we Exalted, not parahumans?”

“Powers are powers, and they’re all parahuman.” A haughty voice interrupted the joking conversation. “And you’re being exploited!” A brown haired middle aged woman walked in, wearing a power skirt suit in gray, her heels clicking on the floor. The Abyssal yawned at the clear power play attempt.

Taylor turned to Emma, clearly puzzled. “Am I being exploited? How’d that work?”

“Not sure. Are we being paid?” Emma hummed. “Maybe that’s what they’re talking about? But I don’t even remember agreeing to work for anyone.”

“You poor children…” Karen’s voice oozed sympathy. “They won’t be throwing you up against killers again.” Taylor and Emma shared a look, only to have Jean-Paul interrupt, amused.

“.. Y’know, I’ve heard better fake sympathy from my sister, the sociopath.” The French-Canadian hummed. “And more importantly, the killers came to them, or so the videos show…”

“And that’s why I’m filing papers with the family court to have all minor’s custody transferred to those who’ll properly care for them.” The woman sounded smug.

Danny leaned back. “You do realize we have lawyers that’ll laugh at you in court. First, you have no authority over my daughter or her friends.” He suddenly snapped forward, and trapped her eyes with his steel gaze. “We are not, certified by the PRT, parahumans.” He let his inner monster show though his eyes. “Second… which judge in Brockton Bay would go against us?” He leaned back, breaking the lock. “You realistically have no real grounds, given Brockton Bay, and no proof I, my wife, or my friends are endangering our children.”

A long moment passed though the room, broken by four teenagers munching popcorn, and the adults turning to them. “Carry on.” Taylor imperiously waved. “Entertainment such as this is pleasing to this God-Queen.” The ravenette sniffed imperiously. “It always amuses Us that some people believe they have authority over Us.”

Emma facepalmed. “Taylor, I know I should have stolen that book you read last night…”

Sarah and Taylor dissolved into giggles as Shadowy Wings snickered while the Youth Guard representative simply stared.

“... You should take this seriously! They’re using you! Making you a child soldier!” the woman screeched.

Taylor stood up, and looked down on the woman. “I am, first and foremost, a priestess of the Unconquered Sun. I am Solar. I am Zenith.” She paused, her eyes burning with passion and conviction. “No one makes choices for me. I am Exalted. The one thing all Exalts have is choice. If you think my parents would change from trying to protect me as they always did, you are wrong-” A snort from her mother interrupted her, and Taylor snapped her head and glared at her mother.

“What?” Shadowy Wings shrugged. “I'm not crazy enough to get in a Zenith's way. You all earned the titles 'Golden Bulls' and 'Hammers of Heaven' for a reason.” Taylor sniffed and turned back to the Youth Guard member who was beginning to gather herself.

The representative puffed herself up. “You’ve been brainwashed! They’re making you think that way, and doing it on the PRT’s behest or to use you in her murderous ways…” Before she could finish, Danny broke in.

“I’m stopping you here and now.” His voice rumbled as he stood up and began to loom over the Youth Guard member. Karen Douglas got a facefull of an irritated silver tattooed Dockmaster. “You don’t seem to understand. Your remit only covers parahumans. I have told you once. I have told you twice, now, we are not parahumans.” He growled.

The Representative somehow managed to muster up the strength to interrupt… “But…” She was cut off hard by Danny’s next statements.

“There will be no third time telling you. You seem to think we are broken individuals, because that is what Parahumans are. Let me assure you: We are Unbroken. We gained our powers because we refuse to break. There are maybe five people Taylor will listen to, much less obey, and they are all in this office. There is, as I proved by smashing Eidolon around like a poorly inflated football, no parahuman that has a chance to control her, or us. If you try, you will fail. And, bluntly, you will become our enemy.” Danny ground the point in with his next statement. “And we, the Exalted, don’t play games. Your choice on what you do next, but do it elsewhere.

Before the woman could speak, her arms were clamped by her sides, and she was carried out the door, then pushed. “Alley oops!” Jean Paul cheerfully stated as he slammed the door behind her.

“... Jean Paul...” Sarah finally spoke. “That’s going to come back to bite us.”

Danny shrugged, not letting the newest Solar answer. “She came here to browbeat us and win her little game. She is now going to go to court and find out that the judges won’t be amused unless she goes upstate… and even then, they’re not going to be too amused.”

Shadowy Wings eyed her lunar. “And how do you know the latter?”

Danny just smiled. “Oh, I’m sure the injunction Alan got when the courts opened will amuse the Youth Guard.” He looked at the narrowed eyes of the others and grinned. “What, you think I wouldn’t spike their wheels before a meeting?”

Vote:
    [ ] Discuss more about the Youth Guard!
    [ ] Skip to the first day of Arcadia and Vicky attacks!
    [ ] Skip to the first day of Arcadia and nothing happens.
    [ ] The New Merchants decide that the Docks will be their bitches!
    [ ] Write In.

30. thewhiteraven22

[X] The New Merchants decide that the Docks will be their bitches!

Hehehehehehe!

MageOhki likes this.