• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
Dear Mom,

I'm doing well. I'm sorry for running out on you. I'm sorry for the argument. No matter what our differences may be, no matter what horrible things I said to you that night, I love you. I always will. And I hope that the next time we meet? You can be proud of me.

Love, Jaune.

This felt kind of random, and I don't know if Jaune should be the first one to reach across the table, honestly.

Otherwise, thanks for the chapter!

This felt kind of random, and I don't know if Jaune should be the first one to reach across the table, honestly.

Think about it? is it really that random? He went from fighting with one mom for treating their child poorly and stepping on their dreams to thinking about his own mom who stepped on his dreams. Pyrrha and Jaune and a lot of the team members have bonded over that lack of belief. The main difference here is he knew he was being stupid just like she was being stupid. He realized, especially after the conversation with Qrow and the others that she was being overprotective out of a sense of loss and her love for him.

Him waiting forever for her to apologize to him would just show he's being petty and immature. Doing this shows that he's actually growing up and maturing from all of this. He's realizing that sometimes even if you weren't the biggest asshole or the aggressor, you still have to make the first move to make amends. In this case, he was a big part of it too. Both mother and son had a lot of healing to do, and Jaune has begun to do so.

Eh it makes sense to me. he told Blake to talk to her parents because they are worried and love her. he told off Pyrra's Mom for being so shit to her. all that family drama got him to reach out to his mom in an impersonal manner to extend an olive branch while still giving him a degree of separation from it. or I'm overthinking it and it was just for convenience sake and he didn't want to interrupt if she was doing something important.

rwby__holy_bun_by_squira130_dg9e4g2-fullview.png

On another note... FINALLY some Cardin/Velvet fanart I found!

Yeah, I think this is when he and Velvet have been dating for a while and she wants to take the next step in their relationship... Poor boy's gonna need to drink a LOT of Gatorade because some Faunus stereotypes are TRUE.

Non-Canon Omake: The Arcs and the Belladonnas
Jaune: "Wait wait wait... Blake?! We met-That was you?!"

Blake: "Yes! As I recall, our parents had a lot of contact!"

Jaune: "Woah... That's kind of cool... Wonder why they stopped talking to each other?"

Flashback to outside the Belladonna's home in Menagerie. Nick and Isabel are frantically searching through a bowl of keys as they try to get to their Bullhead.

Nick: "Come on, come on, which one was it...?!"

Isabel: "I can't believe that a key party was... That!"

Ghira emerges with Kali and Willow Schnee clinging to his sides.

Ghira: "Hey! Don't go! You're gonna miss all the sex!"

Kali and Willow giggle.

Jacques emerges holding up a key as he glares.

Jacques: "Why does my key open a janitor's closet?"

Willow: "You take the key you get, dear~!"

Isabel: "HURRY NICK!"

Nick: "TO HELL WITH IT!" Smashes the window of their Bullhead, throws his wife inside "GO BABY GO!"

Isabel hotwires the Bullhead and they fly off as Nick clings to the outside

In the present...

Blake: shrugs "I don't know. The political situation, perhaps?"

Jaune: "Yeah, that makes sense..."

- - -

Shamelessly stolen from a Simpsons episode. That's why it's non-canon.

Shamelessly stolen from a Simpsons episode. That's why it's non-canon.

If anything from a Simpson's episode is non-canonical, there goes pretty much every story, ever.

I'm predicting Weiss's thirst to drastically increase after seeing that picture of Jaune's dad, and imagining future Jaune.

Last edited:
If anything from a Simpson's story is non-canonical, there goes pretty much every story, ever.

I'm predicting Weiss's thirst to drastically increase after seeing that picture of Jaune's dad, and imagining future Jaune.

Jaune: "Geez... Maybe I gotta shave more often, this stubble is getting irritating-"

Girls: "NO!"

Weiss: "I-I mean, it keeps other women safe if they see what a-a crude barbarian you are!"

Yang: deadpan "Nice save, tsundere."

Weiss: "SHUT UP!"

Thirty-Six
- - -

The broken moon shone brightly upon the cliff, casting shadows from the trees and boulders that surrounded the precipice, forming a natural fighting ring. The roar of the river below the cliffs became a dull white noise-Something that might have been comforting, if not for the sounds of Grimm bellowing and steel clashing.

Jaune was standing at the edge of the clearing. Grimm covered the area like locusts, but he could still see so clearly.

There he was, dashing and striking through the Grimm like a ghost. His cape swirled and waved like a battle flag, his grin savage as he darted and dashed through the monsters like they were standing still. His rapier glowed with the power of his bright orange Aura, cutting down the Grimm like they were nothing...

"Gato!" Jaune shouted, drawing his blade and swinging it through the nearest Beowulf. More Grimm appeared, multiplying in front of him as he slashed and bashed his way through the horde. "Hold on!"

"Haa! Face me, if you dare!" Gato challenged the monsters, who roared and charged. He clashed with them, a bright point of orange light in a sea of darkness, his blade lashing out in precise, perfect strikes as he danced through the dangers thirsting for his blood.

Yet at some point, the old master swordsfaunus began to slow. Began to feel his age. A bite got through his expert defenses. A claw slashed at his side as he turned too late. His Aura faltered.

Jaune kept fighting, but his movements were slowed. The Grimm pushed back, becoming more like an avalanche of darkness than individual monsters.

"GATO! HOLD ON! I'M COMING!" Jaune shouted. "GATO!"

He was driven back, slowly but inexorably, back towards the edge of the cliff. He glanced down at the falls below for only a moment, before turning back to the glowing red eyes of his foes. He smiled as a small chuckle left his mouth, along with a trail of blood. Despite his weakened, shaking hands, he held up his sword proudly.

"Well... I knew we would meet again one day," he said quietly, "My old friend."

Jaune surged his Aura, tried to unleash Golden Lion's Roar,
anything-But he could not get past. He couldn't MOVE!

"GATO! GATO!"

A monstrous Alpha Beowulf lunged for him. Gato was too slow to dodge and had no room to maneuver. He roared in defiance and thrust his blade through the Grimm's chest, even as the monster's sheer bulk sent them over the cliff. They tumbled, the silent stars and moon witness to their struggle. From a distance, it looked like a burning orange star was falling from the heavens.

"GATO!" Jaune screamed, reaching out desperately as the darkness threatened to drown him. He screamed, he flailed, and yet he couldn't get any closer, he couldn't do anything...!

Even in midair, bloodied, on his last legs, Gato grappled with his gigantic foe. He pulled a knife and plunged it into the Grimm's face with a defiant grin, just as they hit the water-!

Jaune's eyes opened, his heart pounding in his ears. He was bathed in cold sweat. He sat up, holding a hand over his chest.

"Haa... Haa... Haa..."

He shut his eyes. He could still picture it perfectly. As if he hadn't been drifting away on a log on the river, staring helplessly as his mentor and friend fought his last battle. A battle he had never seen, and yet that kind of final battle... He couldn't imagine Gato going out any other way.

Godsdamnit...

His fists clutched at his bedsheets.

Godsdamnit...!

"Live your life, Juan. Live it well..."

Was he doing that? Was he really? He'd won some battles, he'd protected people he cared about. He'd met kind people who cared about him, but... If all he could see when he slept was his failure...?

Jaune's heart slowed. It no longer pounded in his ears.

He could hear... Sobbing?

He sat up. He saw Ren and Nora-They were also awake, still cuddled together on their pushed-together beds. Nora gave him a frown, while Ren remained stoic yet concerned.

Jaune checked Pyrrha's bed. The redhead was nowhere to be seen.

Jaune tossed his blankets aside and stood up. He walked into the bathroom, following the source of the noise. He sucked in a small breath.

Pyrrha was sitting in the bathtub, curled up with her arms around her knees, trying to muffle her weeping. In this state, she looked so much younger and smaller.

"Pyrrha?" Jaune murmured. She shakily almost looked up at him, before she buried her face in her knees.

It was a scene he was familiar with. He knew the play. He had seven sisters, after all.

He sat down in the tub with her and wrapped his arms tightly around her. Pyrrha let out another shuddering sob and buried her face in his chest. She gripped onto him tightly, fingers bunching up his Beacon Athletics T-shirt.

He stroked her back gently, making soothing noises with his mouth as she cried.

"I... Jaune..." She sniffled as she looked aside, cheek pressed against his chest, "J-Jaune... I'm the worst...!"

"No you're not," Jaune said softly. His hand found her hair and he stroked his fingers through it comfortingly.

"I'm the worst... The worst daughter ever...!" She continued to sob. "I hate her so much but I love her and-and I just... I cut off from her... Everything she's done...!"

Jaune heaved a small sigh. He kept patiently stroking her hair, and rested his chin on the top of her head.

"No. No you're not," he said softly.

"I-I am... I am...!" Pyrrha hiccupped. The lights went on. Jaune looked up as Ren stood in the doorway, Nora clinging to his back like a concerned sloth. Jaune shook his head, and their teammates backed off a bit-Though they stood ready to help, just in case. Even Nora was silent, tears in her eyes.

Gods, I really don't deserve them, he thought to himself.

"I... I couldn't... I couldn't take it anymore, I was so scared of losing you..." Pyrrha babbled, "But-But she's my mother and I-I love her..." She sobbed again.

"Why couldn't she... She love me back...?" She mumbled.

Jaune sighed.

"She does," Jaune admitted, "But she's... Really messed up about it. It's okay to feel like this, Pyrrha. Really, it is..."

"I-It is...?" She whispered.

"Yeah," Jaune murmured, "I felt the same way when I left my mom. We had the worst fight... I said some terrible things... Walking away, I just... I wanted to turn back and apologize so many times."

Pyrrha managed to force herself to look up at him in wonder. Gods she was still so pretty, even after crying her eyes out-

NOPE! Nope, none of that, none of that! His mind declared.

"You... You still went on...?" She murmured. Jaune nodded, stroking her long hair.

"Yeah... Because she... She was wrong."

He'd survived six months on his own fighting Grimm, bandits, and who knew what else? Fighting for survival. If Uncle Qrow thought he could hack it? Then he could hack it.

He had to, for his friends.

"And so is your mother," Jaune stated firmly. "It's okay to love her, but it's also okay to... To be angry with her. Because she is fucked up." He shook his head. "She called me, and offered me money to leave you alone."

Pyrrha stared in amazement.

"And... And you...?"

"I said no," Jaune said, rolling his eyes, "Of course I did. I'd choose you over money every time."

Pyrrha's eyes lit up and she glomped him, slamming him against the bathroom wall.

"Oh Jaune~!"

"URK!" Jaune grunted as she snuggled him, crying happy tears. "It-It's no big deal-!"

"Jaune, Jaune~!" She was now squeezing him hard enough he was having trouble breathing.

"Cut that out!" He gasped, more harshly than he intended.

Pyrrha flushed and coughed. Jaune grimaced as she drew back, looking miserable. He sighed and pulled her into a hug, stroking her back in apology.

"It's okay... Just, ya know," Jaune said quietly, "Let's work on controlling our emotions, okay? Not that you have to act like that... That creepy plastic robot your mom wanted you to be! Just uh... You know... Be natural."

"Y-yes... Thank you," Pyrrha murmured softly. "After all... We're having a date."

"Outing."

"A date," Pyrrha insisted softly, her eyes narrowing, "After you have one with Yang... Before you have one with Ruby..."

Jaune held up a hand to the bridge of his nose and pinched it.

"We... All agreed," he said softly.

"Y-Yes," Pyrrha said with a quick nod, "After all..."

She smiled scarily again.

"We agreed to win you fair and square..."

Jaune sighed.

"We'll... Work on that later," he decided. He helped her up to the sink, and helped her wash her face. He turned off the light and headed out into the dormroom proper... Where Nora and Ren had apparently pushed all four of their beds together. They were already sleeping on one side of the mega-bed, leaving an obvious opening for them.

Pyrrha smiled softly... Jaune sighed.

"Fuck it," he muttered. He pulled Pyrrha down with him, and Nora reached out in her maybe sleep to hug them both tightly.

He was too damn tired to protest, and hugs were nice. His heart beat slowed and his sight grew dim.

He would have no more nightmares.

"Oh Jaune~," Pyrrha moaned in her sleep, "Take me and make me yours-!"

Unfortunately he was going to have a very different sort of dream tonight, oi...

- - -

Almost there...

Last edited:
"I said no," Jaune said, rolling his eyes, "Of course I did. I'd choose you over money every time."

Pyrrha's eyes lit up and she glomped him, slamming him against the bathroom wall.

"Oh Jaune~!"

"URK!" Jaune grunted as she snuggled him, crying happy tears. "It-It's no big deal-!"

"Take me and make me yours-!"

"Cut that out!"

Back to horny jail, you go!

Thanks for the chapter!

Thirty-Seven
- - -

Headmaster Ozpin's office was wide and welcoming, held up with pillars colored in warm, earthy tones of tan and warm brown. Overhead was a green dome, and behind the headmaster's desk were numerous clockwork gears, levers, and pulleys that despite their size, operated quietly. The mechanical clicking was soothing, like metallic heartbeats. The wide windows let in sun, moon or starlight in great amounts, which combined with the soft lighting, lended this space of authority a feeling of goodwill and wellness. While the clock ticked away and life went on, the office was designed to make that a comforting fact of life rather than an ominous inevitability. Even at night, it was an island of peace and light in a seemingly endless abyss.

Glynda appreciated the paradoxical nature of Ozpin's set up: To use time and nature as means of soothing tempers and bringing an aura of peace. It made the often difficult news they received easier to process, when surrounded by reminders of what they fought for.

Especially when that news was delivered by some of her reasons for fighting.

"We've completed our analysis of the Dust remains and the weapon in the Forever Fall," Simin Megister stated, the only member of Team SLVR standing in the office. He faced Ozpin and Glynda herself across the headmaster's voluminous desk, holding up his Scroll as he read his findings.

"And?" Ozpin prompted politely. Simin glanced at his team members. Lycan grimaced, Vella smiled encouragingly, and Ragora sighed and waved her hand to get on with it. Simin hid a slight smile as he got to his conclusion.

"The Dust matches a batch of Dust stolen in a robbery by Roman Torchwick's gang seven months, one week, and one day ago," Simin said, "While the weapon serial number reveals it was part of am SDC train robbery by White Fang near the town of Edge five months and two days ago."

He nodded to the headmaster.

"The serial numbers of the weapons recovered from the dock incident last night also match the same robbery, and similar robberies of Atlasian and Valean weapons byWhite Fang operatives over the last year."

He shook his head, and adjusted his glasses.

"There's our smoking gun. Roman Torchwick and the White Fang are cooperating together, and have been for almost a year."

"Which is great when the bastard's finally in a courtroom," Lycan snorted, "But what good does it do us?"

The headmaster nodded and hit a control on his desk, revealing a holographic map of Vale with red, white, and green markers across it. Each had various dates attached to each icon, indicating when they had happened.

"A good question," Ozpin said, "Mister Arcadia. Here is a map compiling data you and others working with us have acquired over the last year. The green markers are Grimm attacks on villages. The red, Dust robberies. White, White Fang activity."

Vella stared in shock as her keen eyes went over the entire map.

"The Dust Robberies are all over the place, but the other two... Most of them are clustered around each other," she breathed in shock. Ozpin nodded.

"Yes. I believe White Fang is obtaining weapons near crucial areas, then deliberately herding Grimm to attack those areas. All over Vale."

Lycan swore under his breath, glaring angrily. Simin's eyes blazed behind his glasses. Vella held a hand over her mouth in horror. Even Glynda, who knew this beforehand, fought against a surge of anger.

Team SLVR hadn't seen the images of what these Grimm attacks had left behind. She had.

"But how are they coordinating those Grimm?" Ragora asked, looking over the map with a frown, "If they had a guy whose Semblance was to control Grimm, maybe. But these are happening all over and often at the same time."

Ozpin paused, his face emotionless, but his eyes kind.

"That is something I want you to find out during the semester break," he said calmly, "Given the work you've put into this investigation on top of your normal teaching assistant duties, I am confident you can discover the method by which they are conducting these attacks-And perhaps discover who is responsible."

"Wouldn't that just be White Fang?" Vella asked, eyes wide. "Causing massive unrest like this would fit their MO."

"Superficially, yes," Ozpin nodded, "But the amount of coordination, the resources they have gathered? All more than what even the richest members of Menagerie could provide them in funding."

Lycan cursed them under his breath as well.

"We any closer to smashing their faces in?"

"As satisfying as that would be," Glynda said wryly, "While we know who they are, we can't be that direct."

"The White Fang is the militant arm of the extremist parts of Menagerie," Ozpin said, "But the ones with big pockets are able to keep themselves just respectable enough no action can be brought against them."

"For now," Ragora muttered. Glynda gave her a slight smile.

"For now," Glynda agreed, looking over at Ozpin. The headmaster hummed.

"The Belladonnas and their allies try to keep the peace, tryto stamp out White Fang. If someone else was footing their bills..."

Simin grimaced.

"Then their new backers want a lot of Dust, a lot of weapons, and a lot of unrest and Grimm gathered at strategic locations around Vale," Simin surmised, his eyes darting around the map like a precision spotter, "Someone with the power and resources to get both groups to work together."

"Indeed," Ozpin said, giving Simin a small, proud smile, "Can you find out who that is?"

"We'll get results, Headmaster," Simin said with a nod, "You have my word."

"I have never had reason to doubt yours, Mister Megister," Ozpin said, "Nor any of your team."

"Nor I," Glynda said, her tone softer. Even Lycan smiled back at her thankfully.

"Hope we're getting overtime pay for this," Ragora asked, raising a purple eyebrow at Ozpin. Glynda scowled, but Ozpin merely chuckled.

"Of course."

"Good," Ragora said, smiling, "Thanks Professor."

"We did find one other thing," Simin said, as Ozpin opened his mouth. The headmaster looked at the young man in curiosity.

"Oh?"

Simin nodded, and hit a control on his Scroll. Some scans appeared via the holographic array, though the chemistry was strange to Glynda.

"Near where Rose saw the sniper," he said, "Something similar to Dust, but not quite. Spectrographic scans revealed it was Grimm residue-But in a crystalline form."

Simin shook his head, looking baffled.

"It's almost like a pack of Grimm got turned into crystals and were shattered... But how is that possible? Miss Rose's Semblance can't do that."

Glynda stiffened and looked over at Ozpin. The headmaster's expression didn't change an iota as he studied the images, but Glynda had the sneaking suspicion that he was pleased.

"It is indeed a mystery, Mister Megister," Ozpin said with a nod, "One I shall study in your absence. I have some friends I will contact about it. But focus upon your mission. Let me handle this."

Simin frowned, but nodded.

"Of course, Headmaster."

"Now. It is late, you should all rest," Ozpin said kindly/ Team SLVR rose and headed for the exit. Glynda followed, guiding them to the elevator.

"Could have said 'please,'" Vella murmured to Ragora. The witch smirked and shrugged at the archer.

"I'm just saying, I read the contract. There are some floating days where overtime doesn't count and I wanted to make sure this did!"

"Might have been better to be more tactful about that, Ragora," Simin observed quietly. Ragora snorted.

"Hey, if I'm risking life and limb, I might as well get room service, and a hot tub with my hot boyfriend." She moved close to Lycan, who wrapped an arm around her shoulders. He nodded firmly.

"Damn straight!"

"All right SLVR, that's enough," Glynda said, not unkindly. "Bullhead 47 will be reserved for your use. Get prepared and launch on Friday, after final exams."

"Understood Professor Goodwitch," Simin said, smiling confidently, "We won't let you down."

Glynda allowed herself a smile with her students.

"I know you won't," she said. The elevator doors opened, and Team SLVR walked in. Lycan shot her a feral grin.

"We got this, Proff."

"Thank you for your confidence," Vella said, smiling sweetly.

"We'll be back in no time," Ragora said with a wink.

The elevator doors shut, and Glynda let out a soft sigh. She turned, and Ozpin was now standing next to her, leaning on his cane. He smiled softly at her.

"They are most capable."

"They wouldn't be assistant teachers if they weren't," Glynda said with a firm nod.

"I know," Ozpin said. He waited for the elevator to return. Glynda shook her head.

"There's no need to play these games with Team RWBY or Team JNPR," she said quietly, "Why not allow them to live in peace? Why not discourage Miss Belladonna and her crusade?"

The elevator chimed again, and the doors opened. Ozpin and Glynda stepped into the empty car, and the doors slowly slid shut. Ozpin tapped a code into the buttons, and the elevator began to descend. Deeper, deeper, past the marked floors.

"Over my long lifetimes," Ozpin finally spoke, "I have learned to trust my instincts. Something tells me that RWBY and JNPR will play a part in the future. What kind of part, I can't say... But given their histories and personalities, they will not stay on the sidelines. Better they are blooded and experienced if the time comes than not."

The doors opened, and Ozpin walked out into a dark, forboding chamber. Glynda followed. There was no cheer in this lab, no gentle comfort. The machines were harsh and rough, the feeling of raw power filled the air. The walls were dark green and angled to feel enclosing, lit by dim lights and monitors. In the center of numerous machines of such complexity and unknown design Glynda could only guess at their means and purpose, stood a silent, lonely, metal coffin. A window in the top of the coffin revealed the face of a dark skinned, scarred girl, suspended in fluid, her eyes shut tightly as she slept.

Amber, Glynda thought sadly, as she always did when she saw the wounded Maiden.

Ozpin came to a stop and studied the inhabitant of the coffin, a strange, ancient sadness in his eyes as he looked at Amber. Glynda stood a few respectful feet back, but the tension in his face was impossible to miss.

"And should things take a turn for the worse," Ozpin continued quietly, "I want as many assets as possible to stand against the darkness. Our very survival may depend upon it."

Glynda tensed a bit.

"I do not like our students being referred to as 'assets', Ozpin," Glynda said quietly.

Ozpin nodded.

"I know... But there is an unfortunate truth I have learned. A hard truth. For all to live... Some must give everything. All of Remnant is involved, whether they know it or not. If we are all to survive... We must all be willing to make the ultimate sacrifice."

"Only if they know what they're sacrificing, and for what," Glynda said firmly. Ozpin turned to Glynda... And slowly nodded.

"Do you trust me, Glynda?"

"Of course I do, Headmaster," Glynda said without any hesitation, "But I must remind you that not everyone else feels that way. What kind of a second in command would I be if I lied?"

Ozpin chuckled.

"A very poor one, indeed," he said with a nod. He turned back to Amber. "I have every confidence in your students, Glynda. But I didn't get this far without back up plans. Back up plans we will hopefully never have to utilize."

Glynda nodded slowly.

"Of course, Headmaster. Was there anything else?"

"No," Ozpin said, "Please, do get some rest, Glynda. You will need it."

Glynda nodded, and took her leave. She went to the elevator, hit the main floor, and looked back at Ozpin.

He was still staring at Amber in the coffin, the room silent save for a relentless, disquieting ticking sound, as the elevator doors slid shut.

- - -

Last edited:
"And should things take a turn for the worse," Ozpin continued quietly, "I want as many assets as possible to stand against the darkness. Our very survival may depend upon it."

Glynda tensed a bit.

"I do not like our students being referred to as 'assets', Ozpin," Glynda said quietly.

I can't recall many stories that show Glynda this way, alot of them seem to feature her being more on the antagonistic side.

Thanks for the chapter!

I can't recall many stories that show Glynda this way, alot of them seem to feature her being more on the antagonistic side.

Thanks for the chapter!

In this story, she's become very close to Team SLVR. They've passed every test she gave them and she saw them as her favored team, like nieces and nephews. Glynda has pushed them to replace Team STRQ in Ozpin's eyes, because they are exceptional people and she cares dearly for them.

Jaune the Barbarian 8
- - -

Cardin stormed up to Jaune in the middle of the cafeteria during lunch. He was trying to smile but it came out as more of a grimace.

"Hey... Buddy, mind giving me some time right now?"

Cardin wrapped an arm around Jaune's shoulders in a friendly sort of way. Well, he tried, it was a little too tight for that. The other members of JNPR and RWBY began to tense, but Jaune just smiled easily.

"Sure thing, pal! Sorry guys, gotta take this."

Cardin led Jaune away, just outside the cafeteria building. He let go of Jaune and spun around on him.

"We're going to hang out," he declared.

Jaune blinked.

"... Okay? Why?"

"Because my girlfriend thinks we're best buddies because you set me up with her!" Cardin growled. Jaune shrugged, and spread his arms out in disbelief.

"What?!"

"You heard me! We're hanging out and we're gonna be pals! Unless you want to explain to Velvet how you set me up just to... To...!"

"Troll you?" Jaune deadpanned. Cardin sputtered.

"YES!"

"And yet you're complaining about it?"

"NO! I mean... Urgh! Look! We're hanging out with her team on Friday night, be there!" Cardin growled.

Jaune sighed, and shrugged.

"All right... Hey Nora?"

Nora popped up from behind the door, where she had been eavesdropping. She grinned.

"Yes Fearless Leader?"

"Apparently I'm best buds with Cardin," Jaune said with a nod, "You make up the backstory."

Nora saluted with a grin.

"Can do! I shall start dreaming up some amazing ideas! Ooh... That's a good one! Ooh, that one too!"

Jaune smirked at Cardin, whose face had fallen.

"I-No, I mean, maybe we could-"

"Oh no Cardin, your girlfriend wants us to get along," Jaune chuckled evilly, "And that's exactly what we're gonna do! See you on Friday!"

He guided Nora away, as Cardin began to think maybe he'd made a terrible mistake.

- - -

"All right... Hey Nora?"

Nora popped up from behind the door, where she had been eavesdropping. She grinned.

"Yes Fearless Leader?"

"Apparently I'm best buds with Cardin," Jaune said with a nod, "You make up the backstory."

Nora saluted with a grin.

This is going to be good.....

Jaune the Barbarian 9
Back at the docks, right after the fight with Thanh and Roman...

The teenagers had been let loose from the cops, and Miss Goodwitch was about to shuffle them off back to Beacon... When Nora, Ren, and Jaune broke off from the main group.

"Miss Valkyrie, Mister Arc, Mister Ren, what are you doing?"

"Looting the bodies of the criminals, of course," Jaune said cheerfully, pulling out an unconscious guy's wallet, "Hey! He's got a full punchcard for Sandwich King!"

"I know where we're going for lunch next!" Nora chirped, taking off a watch from another Faunus. She pouted. "Aw, it's a fake Tolex!"

"You're putting it on anyway," Ren pointed out. Nora beamed.

"Of course, it's shiny!"

"Wh-WHY ARE YOU ACTING LIKE COMMON CRIMINALS?!" Weiss shouted in shock, before Goodwitch could express her outrage. Jaune shrugged.

"Well, I did live on the road for like, six months. People tried to kill me, so I beat them up and took their money," he said, "And any valuables. Usually food, since I was starving."

"Hey! That was most of our lives, too!" Nora said cheerfully, "Except we couldn't beat up as many people cause we were kids, but we did loot bodies!"

"It was only sensible, seeing as they were dead and unlikely to mind," Ren deadpanned. "Ah, another fake Tolex."

"Gimme! I wanna make a chandelier!" Nora cried.

Jaune nodded, and beamed at the gobsmacked Goodwitch and other Hunters-in-Training.

"See? This is why we get along so well," he said, "Hey Ruby? You want to split a sandwich with me at Sandwich King?"

Ruby grinned.

"Sure Jaune-!"

"NO! You're splitting a sandwich with ME, Jaune!" Pyrrha cried, shoving Ruby aside.

"You don't even LIKE sandwiches, Pyrrha!" Ruby growled, shoving her back.

"I DO WHEN I EAT THEM WITH JAUNE!"

Jaune turned to Yang. "You wanna share a sandwich, Yang?"

Yang smirked a little, enjoying how Goodwitch's face was burning with anger.

"You're on a roll, Jauney."

"... That a yes?"

- - -

I do need to write more bits where Jaune is just totally okay with Ren and Nora's antics. Six months living as a wandering swordsman will make you a bit less uptight about such things.

"Well, I did live on the road for like, six months. People tried to kill me, so I beat them up and took their money," he said, "And any valuables. Usually food, since I was starving."

"Hey! That was most of our lives, too!" Nora said cheerfully, "Except we couldn't beat up as many people cause we were kids, but we did loot bodies!"

The team that loots together, stays together.

Jaune turned to Yang. "You wanna share a sandwich, Yang?"

Yang smirked a little, enjoying how Goodwitch's face was burning with anger.

"You're on a roll, Jauney."

"... That a yes?"

That was a great way to wrap up this chapter.......:V

Thirty-Eight
Written with UnknownAnon.

- - - - -

"The Vale's criminal elite certainly do enjoy their creature comforts." Cinder thought to herself as she reclined on the plush sofa she sat on, closing her eyes and spreading her arms out as she enjoyed the texture of the cushions.

Even though her current residence was a safehouse located in one of the seedier districts on the outskirts of the city, the contrast between the interior and exterior was striking. If one stood outside the building, they'd see nothing more than a dilapidated warehouse with crude graffiti painted on all four sides that just had her itching to burn the building down when she'd first laid eyes on it.

However, once you entered the building, moved past a few stacks of iron shipping containers, entered a password on a hidden keypad, then took the secret elevator down below the surface level… you were presented with five-star accommodations. Soft patterned carpets, dozens of luxurious rooms, a wide common area, readily available heating and cooling, a large private bathroom, fully stocked pantries and refrigerators… and best of all, a wine cellar that had some premium drink, much of which she'd already sampled during her first visit. She'd been more than entitled to it, especially since she was now the owner of the building.

It wasn't like the head of the criminal family who had owned it was in a position to protest anymore. She'd already replaced the heels that the woman's ashes had stained weeks ago. The woman she'd burned to death had been the third of Vale's underworld elite she and her associates had taken out, along with the organization she'd built up. It had taken one more mob boss hit and dismantlement of their operations for the rest of Vale's underworld to take the hint, and there now seemed to be a unanimous agreement amongst those who remained to either steer clear of her or acquiesce to her demands if she came knocking at their door. Now Cinder was confident that she'd successfully embedded herself into the shadows of Vale's underworld, ready to strike from the shade when her plans came together.

Honestly though, it was almost disappointing how little fight Vale's criminals had in them. She would've had to kill at least a dozen more mob bosses to assert proper dominance if this was Mistral. Instead, the Valean mobs had been cowed quicker than she expected. Well, at least it meant less work for her in the end.

Cinder slowly opened her eyes and pulled her focus away from her own thoughts and her new favorite seat and tilted her head in the direction of the large television screen that was mounted on a wall to her right. Even late at night, the news stations never stopped to rest. Certainly not when they had a story to tell.

And they'd recently come across quite a big one.

"-And with Thanh Qinglong confirmed among those arrested at the docks following the attack, if the iconic masks found on the scene didn't paint a clear enough picture it's obvious that this was all perpetuated by the White Fang terrorist organization. We now go live to a representative of Vale's council alongside a speaker from Atlas who can tell us more of Thanh's crimes as he is apparently a notable-"

"Y'know, things probably wouldn't have gone south if you'd gone with my suggestion."

Cinder let out a sigh and tapped two fingers against the back of the sofa. That was signal enough for Emerald to pick up the television remote and put Lisa Lavender on mute. The green haired girl returned to her place standing behind Cinder's left, while Mercury continued to amuse himself in the kitchenette, mixing a few drinks and making a show of it. Cinder ignored both him and the television as she turned to address Roman who sat across from her. The thief was clearly nervous no matter how hard he tried to hide it, but he swallowed his anxiousness and began elaborating.

"I told you I could get some guys and do this job quietly. Even if you're known throughout Vale's underworld now as a walking fire hazard they'd like to stay far away from, money speaks. I could wet the palms of a few guys and they could've loaned out some goons as long as they had some guarantees that you wouldn't turn them into piles of soot after the job was done." Roman continued, the nervous energy ebbing out of him as he grew more and more annoyed as he spoke. "Instead you insist on saddling me with a group of petting zoo rejects and everything went up in flames anyway even without you around."

Cinder rapped her fingers against the back of the sofa, not responding immediately and giving Roman time to register what he had said and the tone with which he was speaking to her, and Cinder couldn't help her lips twitching upward slightly when Roman began to fidget in his seat again.

"If I recall, it was your job to coral them and make sure that everything went smoothly." Cinder finally spoke up. "If the White Fang grunts were such a problem that you-"

"No, no, no, no. Nuh-uh. You're not pinning the blame on this cock up on me. I had NOTHING to do with things going to shit."

Cinder's lips twisted downward at being interrupted, but Roman powered through the knee jerk response to just nod and smile and instead kept on talking.

"First off, I did my job. The whole point of raiding the docks was to get more dust for your operations and I did exactly that. I'm the ONLY reason that job was completed. Everything else is completely on your furry little friends who you insisted I allow to tag along instead of hiring actual, reliable help."

"Is that a fact?" Cinder muttered, allowing a note of danger to trickle into her voice but though he heard the warning in her tone Roman wasn't gonna be deterred when he knew that he was completely in the right here.

"It IS fact, Cindy." Roman asserted, tapping his cane against the floor to punctuate his words. "Thanh was more focused on terrorizing dock workers and paying scarlet women to get his sick jollies than doing what you asked. I can tell ya he must've paid those girls for premium service if they were willing to entertain him and not blow the whistle on the authorities since he was very vocal about who he was and the organization he worked for. I can tell the psycho dino didn't care that you had given us all a job to do. He would've blown the whole place sky high with the dust you wanted if I hadn't wrangled a few of the more sensible animals and got our dust out. He stayed behind and lost a dick swinging contest he absolutely insisted on having, and then went ahead and lost to Red, her pet cat, and the rest of their little crew!"

"It's not as though you're unfamiliar with that particular experience." Cinder sneered with a frown.

Roman barely kept from rolling his eyes at the comment. Petty bitch was never gonna let him live down that first encounter he had with Red. Sure, he could have made more of an effort to actually fight the girl or just whistle for Neo and have his accomplice stab her in the back of the head when he'd been robbing that dust store, but Roman Torchwick wanted to keep a clean record! Offing a prospective huntress wouldn't help with that!

Though keeping a relatively clean record was getting harder and harder to do the longer he was kept under Cinder's employ.

"My point is the only reason we came out of this job with something to actually show for it besides a highlight on late night television is because of me. ME. I did exactly what you asked, just as I have been doing for these past several jobs." Roman stated. "So instead of jumping down my throat or blaming me for things going belly up, could you please direct that justified annoyance to the guy who's actually in charge of those masked clowns?"

Cinder clenched her fists angrily for a moment before she let out a sigh and forced her nerves to cool. Much as it grated her, nothing Roman said was wrong… or at least, there were no holes in his testimony that she could poke open to prove any incompetence on his part. He had indeed pilfered quite a large amount of dust along with the White Fang grunts he'd managed to direct, with the dozen or so goons milling around somewhere outside the room she was hosting this meeting at.

…Along with a certain someone who would need to be properly reprimanded since Roman wasn't a viable target currently.

"...Very well. So your competence isn't in question this time." Cinder allowed, a bit mollified when she saw Roman give a shaky sigh of relief. "But someone needs to answer for this failure, Roman. And given your assertions of the White Fang's ineptitude, I believe my other associate has some explaining to do. Bring him in."

Roman nodded and took out his scroll. Hitting a few buttons, it didn't take long for his call to go through. "Neo, bring tall, dark and broody in for us, will you?"

A snort of laughter had Cinder glancing backward at Mercury who just gave a smirk and a shrug when he noticed the woman's gaze on him.

"What? It's not an inaccurate description of him." Mercury quipped, shooting Roman a grin. "Say, could you describe him like that to his face? I'm curious to see what part of you he'd cut off for teasing him."

"Why don't you do it instead?" Roman returned with his own smirk. "Least you wouldn't have to worry about him taking your legs out from under you."

Any response Mercury might have given was lost when the door to the room they were having their meeting in swung open. Neo skipped inside and made a beeline for the fridge while a tall, red haired bull faunus strode in.

…Looking at Adam, Cinder had to admit he sold the image of a faunus warrior quite well. The fiery red hair, horns, mask, sword, and the red and black coloration of his clothes (a color combo she could appreciate given it was her own favored theme) all presented a formidable picture that spoke just as loudly as his actions. There was a reason Adam was able to attain a command position in the White Fang in spite of his young age. The fierce look and the sword weren't just for show. She'd seen firsthand what the young man could do and how skilled and powerful a fighter he was.

His power was nothing compared to her own of course, but he commanded a number of troops and thus had access to manpower Cinder needed for her plans. The fact that the White Fang was willing to go to the extremes they were made them a more preferable fighting force than strong-arming the remnants of the gangs she'd dismantled would have been. Even if she made threats, the criminals of Vale still considered the city their home and thus had limits on what actions they were willing to inflict on it. The White Fang had no such limits, so any mission was fair game as long as it served the "cause" of their organization. Allying with the White Fang had been the logical choice.

Or so she had originally thought.

Cinder gestured for Adam to take a seat. White Fang commander did so and sat across from her, lying his sword across his lap. Roman scooted as far away as he could from the young man and showed an expression that he very much wished that he could sit somewhere else. Cinder leaned back and stared at Adam, waiting for him to speak. He knew very well why he'd been called in, and Cinder wanted him to acknowledge that he was aware of his failure to keep his people under control.

A minute passed with no one speaking. Roman began to tap his cane against the side of the couch. Behind her, Cinder could hear the thief's partner spinning on a barstool and stuffing her face with some ice cream she'd found in the freezer. Emerald shuffled lightly on her feet from behind her, and Mercury went about tasting the cocktail he'd mixed… and a few seconds later the sound of him dumping the contents of the glass into the sink could be heard.

"If you've nothing to say, I'm leaving." Adam announced finally, and Cinder leaned forward in her seat.

"I was simply waiting for you to explain to me why the job we assigned your men got so loud when it was meant to be a quiet assignment." Cinder replied, narrowing her eyes at the faunus. "I understand that covert ops might not be a specialty in your organization-"

"We have plenty of experience working under the radar." Adam retorted.

"And yet the results of the job wound up with the faces of several of your associates plastered all over the news!" Cinder declared with a snarl.

"Along with mine." Roman added, looking extremely displeased as he pointed toward the muted television screen… which had a picture of his handsome face plastered next to Thanh's ugly mugshot. "I was clearly sighted at the docs with your zoo friends and one of the kids that crashed the operation obviously called me out. And right when prep for the Vytal Festival is about to start!"

The tagline that panned across the bottom of the television screen only enforced the message with a written statement that he was in an alliance with the White Fang, a fact that Roman was internally seething at. His reputation was gonna start fraying even more now that he had been fingered for working alongside terrorists, which completely clashed with the gentleman thief persona he'd spent years building up. Charismatic tricksters did not sign up with groups known for their extremism and brutality!

"Your reputation means little to me, human. What's your point?"

"My point is that there's no ambiguity about who my associates are anymore. Which means when Atlas flies in for the tournament they'll be gunning for me along with the rest of you animals!" Roman exclaimed, wringing his hands over Melodic Cudgel as he glared at Adam. "No ambiguity or mystery for the White Fang itself either. I don't know if any of your goons share a family with insects, but the Altas Military is gonna get out their stomping boots when they get here since they will know your group is trying to make waves in Vale."

Because now Roman had the extra worry of WHEN Atlas showed up in Vale, just how much of their forces would they be lending out to help bolster the police in Vale? Dodging cops was one thing, but dodging the military was something else entirely!

Though with the small smirk Roman could see playing on Cinder's lips, he started to wonder if that hadn't been part of her own plans. Knock down his reputation points and leave him with nowhere else to turn to, tying him to her even more. Though she had given the impression that she was angry at the outcome of their dock operation, Cinder probably saw his tanking reputation as a pro and not a con.

His boss was annoyingly thorough about keeping him bent over a barrel.

"When I loaned you my men for this mission at the docks, it was my understanding that this human would be the one in charge." Adam said, turning his head slightly toward Roman. "If he knew anything about-"

"You tell your guys I was calling the shots before you sent them over? Because apparently not all of them got that memo." Roman said with a roll of his eyes. "Your scaled buddy Thanh was convinced he was running the show and almost blew up the whole dock. I get that as terrorists you're not super subtle with your-"

"Don't refer to us as terrorists." Adam growled. "Atlas propaganda may refer to us as such, but we're not-"

"Whatever. However you brand yourselves," Roman spoke over Adam, Cinder noting with some amusement that the thief's word choice had the faunus move his hand over to grip the hilt of his sword. "My point is you were the one who saddled me with Thanh, who almost ruined the entire mission. Maybe the next time you loan out some of your guys for a job, make sure their manager is someone who's sharp mentally more than he is physically. I mean, I know I said I needed muscle for the job, but that guy was all muscle and no brain."

"While it's crudely put, Roman does raise a point." Cinder picked up after Roman finished speaking. "Again, this was meant to be a quiet job. Raiding the docks, incapacitating the workers there, then making off with the dust before too many people wised up to our presence there… that was the plan. Based on Roman's description of your associate and the story the news had told me of him, I'm rather interested as to why you decided Thanh was the most suited for this job."

"Because he absolutely was not the guy for the job." Roman asserted.

Adam didn't respond immediately to Cinder and Roman's back and forth accusations. Instead, the bull faunus took a calming breath before reaching up and removing the mask that covered the top half of his face.

As he was sitting on the side of Adam where the "SDC" brand was burned across the swordsman's skin, Roman couldn't help but wince as the angry red flesh and burn scars that crawled across Adam's brow and eye. Roman made a living operating in the underworld and prior to that he'd put in some time on the frontier as a huntsman, so he'd seen some pretty grisly things in his time, but a mark that ugly made him shudder a bit.

Easy to infer what Adam's early life had been like and what had driven him into the arms of a terrorist organization.

"Thanh did exactly what he was supposed to on that job." Adam informed them calmly. "This event served as the White Fang's opening announcement. Acting subtly may be your goal, but it wasn't ours. Even if the operation ended in a way we hadn't intended, it served our purposes well enough."

"Is that what you'd call this?" Cinder asked, tone unimpressed as she gestured to the television screen which was now showing a clip of the docks and warehouses on fire. She glared at Adam, unbothered by his vicious scar. "I told you that the White Fang's time to announce themselves to the populace of Vale would come, but we're still in the preparation phase. You've just admitted to needlessly blowing our cover, and now it will be that much harder to gather the dust we need now that the general populace has been forewarned of your presence here."

"The White Fang needs victories and accolades in order to garner more support for our cause." Adam insisted. "Our Vale cell is one of our weakest. Thanh and his men were part of the small handful who actually knew how to fight. He was meant to demonstrate to those that volunteered that we were strong enough get the job done, and that we needn't have feared retaliation from Vale's police force or possible huntsmen that might've been sent."

"Really? You saw this as a combo deal for both a recruitment pitch and a morale boost for your troops?" Roman opined, barking a laugh at that factoid. "Well, that certainly worked out for you, didn't it? You big, bad lizard lost to a bunch of baby hunters."

"It is a setback, certainly." Adam admitted with a hiss. "From what my men outside have informed me, Thanh got cocky and got it in his head to bait some Beacon students into attacking him for some reason."

"Perhaps he was taking his own initiative after the failure at Forever Fall?" Cinder suggested, having been informed of the small group of White Fang who had tried attacking one of Beacon's classes some time ago and about how they'd been almost completely routed.

"It would have helped if you'd informed me that only the Geist would respond to our commands. We managed to direct the captured Grimm we brought, but the rest of the Grimm in the forest attacked our operatives as well as the students."

"Looks like we've both had some issues with communication." Cinder replied, ignoring Adam's accusing tone. "After all, you informed me that the men you assigned to help Roman steal away the dust shipments wouldn't have any problems taking orders from our side and yet your associate Thanh took matters into his own hands. You've admitted to encouraging him in this. I'm growing skeptical of our continued partnership if we can't align on certain matters, Adam."

"Thanh was a blunt instrument, and even with this failure it was at least a learning experience for those that were just recruited. It is indeed a setback, but there was still a benefit in showing new recruits about what they might and likely will be facing up to in the future." Adam said with a light shrug, not sounding very concerned about the fact Thanh had botched the job and had gotten arrested. "That is something we need to address. Sienna won't provide additional support unless she starts seeing better results. We need to start recruiting able faunus to supplement our ranks in the meantime."

Cinder hummed at that. Having more manpower to spare would certainly be beneficial in the long run, so looking for avenues for recruitment had merit.

"Victories will come in time, Adam. But only if you're patient." Cinder told him bluntly, glaring across at him from where she was seated. "Control your people, or inform them how important it is to follow our guidance, and the glory you and your people seek shall be your reward. The notoriety, the credit for the victories we'll mount, and the credit you are more than welcome to. But you must follow my order or those whom I delegate you to follow in the future, understood?"

"What you must understand Cinder, is that the White Fang are not your attack dogs." Adam returned stoically. "We've only come together over our mutual goal to see Vale burn and because you've proven your strength to us. Your head would've already been removed from your shoulders if that weren't the case."

Cinder sneered at Adam's words. "I understand very well where we stand with each other, my dear Adam. But for as long as our partnership lasts, you WILL impress some temperance among your forces. Otherwise you'll keep sustaining losses instead of earning victories, as Thanh's fate should have shown you."

Adam's fists clenched. "I'm still trying to get to the bottom of why he felt the need to get into a fight with several student teams. While he knew about the failure at Forever Fall, he made no indication that he was trying to make up for that loss."

"Actually, I might have an answer for you there, Addie."

Both Roman and Cinder turned to Roman when the flamboyant man interjected himself into their discussion.

"You seem to be under the impression that you had the psycho dino on a proper leash and he only bit the chain off because he had trouble taking orders from a human." Roman said, pointing to himself. "Well, I can tell you he made more than a few comments about wanting to knock you out of the commander's seat and take your place. Already got the impression he wasn't the most loyal sort, but I didn't take you for the type to tolerate such blatant disrespect."

"Thanh loved to run his mouth but his fighting abilities were potent enough that the White Fang leaders were able to tolerate it." Adam answered with a frown. While a moderately effective squad leader, the lizard faunus had more bark than bite and it was a big reason why he hadn't attained a higher position in the organization in spite of being a member longer than Adam himself had been. "I'm well aware of how he spoke of me behind my back. The only reason I didn't cut his tongue out was because he never defied me in front of the men and he's one of the few of those we've assembled in Vale that actually knew how to fight. I don't have many in my current group capable of leading, hence the need to find capable recruits. I can ignore Thanh's unsavory traits so long as he makes himself useful and contributes properly to our cause."

"Wow, you're way more magnanimous than I gave you credit for!" Roman said, genuinely surprised that Adam knew Thanh was a shit and still kept him around. "So if he'd gotten his hands on that Belladonna cat, you wouldn't have-"

"What was that?"

And suddenly the redhead was on his feet with his sword tickling the tip of Roman's nose, looking rightly furious. The thief immediately raised his hands in surrender.

"Whoa, whoa, whoa, buddy! Don't stab the messenger!" Roman sputtered. "You don't have an HR department so I was just being a good business associate and informing you of what's been said behind your back! And about the runaway cat you seem to have some history with!"

Adam's eyes narrowed at Roman. "...You're saying Blake Belladonna was at the docks?"

"Your cat princess? Yeah, she was the one who Thanh baited in and all her new friends from school tagged along." Roman said quickly. "Not gonna lie, Thanh had some pretty skeevy ideas about what to do with her, and I'm guessing from context both by your reaction and what the lizard said at the docks you've got some history with that kitty cat?"

"...Quite a bit." Adam seethed before letting out a breath and pulling his sword back, causing Roman to let out a relieved sigh. Adam swiftly sheathed his blade and sat back down. "She's a traitor to our cause, and will face the Fang's justice for her betrayal and desertion. But her punishment will come from my hand and no one else's."

"Looks like Thanh didn't get that memo either."

"And it looks like I won't be able to suffer his presence any longer." Adam growled, taking out a folded piece of paper and flicking it toward Cinder. The woman caught it and unfolded it, scanning the contents with a raised eyebrow. It contained a list of names, with some even having addresses written down.

"And this is…?"

"A list of those who've expressed their desire to follow in Blake's footsteps and flee the Fang." Adam answered. "Given how important our operations are, we cannot allow for any potential information leaks. Those without addresses are individuals I'll take care of myself, but those with are residents who reside within Vale. Given my status as a fugitive I can't ensure their silence, but as your identities aren't known I think you could verify whether or not whether they are capable of keeping our secrets… or if they should be silenced themselves."

"I take back what I said earlier about you being the magnanimous sort." Roman muttered. "Aren't most of the guys you have right now just part-timers? One of the chattier ones that helped me with the dust mentioned he worked as a cashier clerk during the day. You really need go as far as gutting them to make sure they can't talk? What could they possibly know?"

"Nothing useful, but they know where our campsites outside of Vale's walls are. We move around to keep from getting spotted by border guards, but it's better to be safe than sorry." Adam explained. "And I'm not suggested that killing them be the first option taken. If simply paying them off or threatening them works, faunus blood doesn't need to be spilled."

"So you say, but I notice a few of these names and locations are highlighted in red." Cinder noted, picking out three or four names on the list of two dozen or so Adam had given her. "I take it these are the individuals you're really concerned about?"

"They are individuals that YOU should be concerned about, actually."

Cinder let out a scoffing chuckle at that. "You think they could actually post a threat to-"

"You misunderstand. They intend to leave the Fang and take the knowledge they have with them." Adam cut in. "Those individuals I highlighted are those that saw the faces of you and your two associates."

The paper crinkled when Cinder's fingers clenched it tighter in response to Adam's words.

Most of her interactions with the White Fang had been conducted using Roman as a proxy. After she and Adam had agreed to work together, there were a couple times where she'd sent Emerald or Mercury as a messenger whenever Roman was on a job. However, Cinder herself rarely made an appearance in front of the White Fang as a whole. As far as most of them were concerned, Adam was the one running the show and with her as the silent supporter. Cinder doubted most of Adam's White Fang even knew about her.

But there had been one time where she'd been forced to show herself. Roman's negotiations with Adam hadn't gone at all smoothly in the beginning, and the swordsman hadn't been keen on communicating with her through a third party. So one day, flanked by Emerald and Mercury, Cinder had met with Adam in the forests outside of Vale. She'd entered his camp and had coerced him into joining her after a show a strength and a display of what she could offer the White Fang if they aided her in her goals. Since then, Cinder had been the shadow supporter directing the White Fang's actions in Vale.

The red names on the list must've been some of the people who'd been present during that night she confronted Adam and persuaded him to ally with her.

She couldn't allow her the chance of her identity to leak, or even a description of her features get out for that matter. Her entire plan to infiltrate Beacon relied on her being a complete unknown to Vale as a whole, so she couldn't have anyone running free with the knowledge that she was working with the White Fang. The criminals in Vale knew well enough not to cross her. They'd never risk outing themselves and their own operations just to snitch on her, but regular people trying to cut ties with them was another story. They were more prone to talk, and weren't behold to any kind of secrecy if they left the White Fang.

"This will be taken care of." Cinder said, not to Adam, but to Emerald and Mercury.

"Of course, Cinder." Emerald nodded determinedly.

"I'm all for hunting a little game in my free time." Mercury grinned. "Maybe I'll take the time to see more of the sights while I'm out."

Cinder nodded in satisfaction and turned back to Adam with a glare. "Why didn't you bring this to my attention sooner?"

"Because it was only just brought to my attention recently." Adam replied. "Once the dissidents have promised their silence or have been purged, only the truly committed will remain."

"We'll certainly need committed individuals for what's to come." Cinder warned him.

"To that, and given what Torchwick's said, I'm adding Thanh to that list." Adam said decisively. "His commitment to the cause was never in question, but these petty power plays of his will not be given the chance to jeopardize our operations here."

"And the fact he had designs on your runaway cat isn't influencing this decision at all?" Roman asked dryly.

"Thanh will be dealt with." Cinder cut in viciously before the bull faunus could reply to Roman's comment. "Given he's currently confined in a VPD station somewhere, it'll be easier for us to put him down than trouble you or any of yours with the job. Is that agreeable?"

"That's fine with me. Just so long as it gets done."

"It will."

"Then unless there's anything else, our business should be concluded for now." Adam proclaimed as he rose to his feet. "I need to return to our current base and start planning our future operations. If there are any developments on your end-"

"Then we will inform you." Cinder finished, earning a curt nod from the faunus. "Just try not to cause too much of a fuss, will you? Other academies will be sending their student teams to Beacon soon and representatives from other nations will follow. The White Fang must be ready and able to act when the time is right. Our plan will begin in earnest quite soon…"

"You've yet to share the exact details of this plan with me." Adam said lowly.

That made Roman's eyebrow twitch up. It was a surprising piece of information, but it did confirm Cinder was as cagey about her plans with Adam as she was with him.

"I'll be sending information to your scroll in the coming weeks with more details on the job you'll be doing. Just waiting for some information to be confirmed before we're in a position to deploy your people to where they need to be." Cinder replied. "Believe me, Adam. The White Fang's time to shine will come very, very soon. We'll both get what we want."

"We'll see, Cinder."

With that parting comment, Adam turned on his heel and swiftly left the room. Cinder clicked her tongue a few moments after the door had shut behind the swordsman. Seeing his boss's irritation, Mercury hurried over with a glass of wine and handed it over to the woman, who took it with a smile.

"Dealing with that man is so troublesome." Cinder vented, swirling her glass before taking a sip. "If he were any less formidable, or if his little terrorist group weren't integral to my plans, I wouldn't need to suffer his attitude…

"Kinda surprisingly to hear him get all uppity about some girl though." Mercury snickered as he stepped back over to the kitchen. "I mean he dresses up like an edgelord already, but knowing he's been getting jilted by an ex just makes this even more hilarious. I dunno if I can take him seriously anymore."

"Attitude aside, he's battle skills are the real deal. Right, Cinder?" Emerald asked, looking over at the women.

"Indeed, Emerald. Adam is powerful, I've seen it for myself… but that doesn't make interacting with him any less trying." Cinder sighed.

"Bet it doesn't help his group just basically blew the whistle on our activities." Roman added. "The Vytal Festival is still months away, but there'll be plenty of people arriving in Vale leading up to it. Specifically Atlas. I've already been hearing whispers on the usual channels about the equipment they'll be bringing to Vale… and they'll probably start double packing when they hear about the White Fang being here."

"That is very likely." Cinder agreed with a nod.

"Which blows our chances of keeping this quiet." Roman said exasperated. "News of the docks blowing up is already gonna make people panic. Now everyone's gonna be alert and wonder about what the White Fang might be up to."

"True," Cinder nodded again. "But that might not be too much of a bad thing when I really think about it…"

Roman stilled at that, feeling his stomach turn to ice as he thought about Cinder's words.

"It's not how I originally intended to announce our presence here, but thinking about it this job ended up serving as a good prelude for the citizens of Vale." Cinder smirked, enjoying the gobsmacked look on Roman's face. "Now that people know the White Fang are present in their city, panic will start to rise. It'll start as a low simmer, but with careful planning it'll boil over when the time is right…"

…If inciting panic was part of her mysterious endgame, Roman was very worried about what that meant for the future. Even in the upper echelons of the underworld, scaring the general public was very rarely a goal, and instead was something even the less savory types actively avoided in order to keep police and hunters off their backs.

Then again, given that Cinder could somehow control Grimm, and general panic was very much something that would whet the appetites of those monsters…

"Every puzzle piece I manage to find about this chick just ends up painting a worse and worse picture." Roman thought, hiding a grimace by covering his mouth with his hand.

"This also had the benefit of identifying individuals who might become nuisances to our plans in the future."

Roman sat up and raised his eyebrows at that. "What's that now?"

"I had Mercury scoping out the job tonight to determine how effective the White Fang could complete the duties assigned to them." Cinder answered with a smile, taking a sip from her wine glass while Roman just gapped at her.

"W-Wait, so you thought they'd fail? And why didn't you tell me one of your little tagalongs was tailing after us?!"

"I didn't assign Mercury overwatch under the impression that they'd fail, but because since we'll be having a working relationship with them for quite some time I thought it prudent to get information on how they operate." Cinder replied. "And perhaps if you were a little more proactive or had a stronger hand, things would have gone more smoothly."

"You…!"

"I'll be sure to measure my expectations properly in the future and take into account the White Fang's temperament… as well as your own capabilities." Cinder said, smirking around her glass.

Roman could feel the beginnings of a stress headache start pounding behind his eyes, but kept calm and let out an explosive sigh. "If your boy over there was scoping things out, why didn't he intervene at any point? Why couldn't he have prevented the big blow up?"

"Because Mercury, as well as Emerald and myself, must remain hidden until it is our proper time to act. It's not as though he was shadowing you every hour of every day. He kept distance, and wasn't privy to any of your interactions with Thanh."

Well, that made him feel slightly better… but it still irked Roman that he'd apparently had someone peeking over his shoulder for this job and hadn't known about it.

A glance over at Neo from where she was sitting and the way she was frowning around her spoon made it clear she was just as annoyed.

Cinder snapped her fingers and Roman watched as Emerald handed Cinder a manila folder like a good little secretary. Cinder dropped the folder onto the table and the pictures within it spilled out. Roman immediately recognized the faces of Jaune and Red, along with all their friends who'd tagged along to crash the party.

"Honestly, not who I expected to interfere with us, but it seems we have at least one repeat offender." Cinder said, leaning forward and tapping a finger against a picture of a certain scythe wielding shorty.

"Yeah, Red certainly seems to love playing hero in her free time… though who exactly were you expecting to interfere in the operation?" Roman inquired, put off by the way she'd worded that.

"It's not important."

"Feels pretty important if you had one of your little cronies shadowing the job and were expecting company that didn't apparently show up." Roman thought to himself, once again irritated that Cinder was so selective when it came to sharing information with him.

"If it becomes an issue, then we'll address it then. Better to focus on those present now."

Roman wholly disagreed with that, but he wasn't going to make a stink about it now. Not when he'd likely get burned for trying to call her out.

"Not a lot of information on them as individuals, but they're all clearly hunters-in-training so that means they're affiliated with Beacon. Schnee and Nikos are famous enough that information on them is easily attained. The White Fang in particular I'm sure has plenty of information on anything Schnee related." Cinder mused as she looked over the pictures Mercury had taken. "The rest we'll need to look into. Especially this girl who you fought before. With the dock mission, this means she has interfered with us twice… if a pattern develops, certain measures may need to be taken. Same goes for her other friends if they get involved in the future."

"If they've got Adam's ex with them that's pretty much guaranteed." Roman sighed. "I was there when she crashed the party and she had a whole little speech prepared about how wrong the White Fang was, how much of a monster Thanh was, and how she wanted to stop them. Instead of Red, feels like she's gonna be the biggest problem for us here."

"I'm inclined to agree given what you've said." Cinder said, pursing her lips as she picked up and looked at Blake's picture. "Still, she could be a potent tool for us to use if we could direct her actions somehow. Given Adam's seeming focus on her, it could be a way to better control him…"

Roman didn't offer his own two cents on Cinder's scheming, keeping his thoughts to himself. For all the Cinder liked to portray herself as a skilled manipulator, she was so obsessed with control that she couldn't see the red flags in prodding that particular connection might lead to. While threatening Blake or promising her to Adam might have some kind of effect on the man, it was just as likely that anything did to his former paramour might send Adam on a warpath against them.

Adam was a different sort than Cinder was, and Roman could plainly see it. While Cinder was extremely scary and threatening and fully capable of killing both himself and Neo with a flick of her fingers, Adam unnerved him in a different sort of way. The faunus warrior had a creed and saw himself as a liberator, which meant his actions and by extensions the other faunus in his inner circles could be wildly unpredictable in their actions. This recent job only proved that Cinder didn't have as much power of them as she liked to believe, and if she didn't throw Adam and his White Fang a bone soon there was a good chance their alliance would fracture.

It was certainly something to keep in mind, since if Roman were to steer Cinder and Adam into butting heads he might be able to slip away in the chaos…

…Of course, it was also just as likely he'd be cut in half or burned to ashes when they clashed, so it wasn't as appealing as a prospect as he'd like.

"Still no smooth way out of the current predicament." Roman lamented to himself, though there was one thing that he felt somewhat relieved about.

Roman's eyes flicked down to Jaune's picture for a moment before they flicked back to Cinder's face. His scary boss hadn't made any indication that she felt he was a person of interest, focusing on the cat, Red, Nikos, and the Schnee for the most part. And even her apparent spy with the metal legs hadn't made any comment about Jaune being the primary reason Thanh got defeated in the first place, which was confirmation that he hadn't been shadowing close enough to see the battle itself.

The raggedy knight was still a card only Roman knew about, even if it was somewhat of a wild card. But at least he still had the option to play it, so long as Cinder and her cronies didn't get it in their head that the blonde kid was anyone noteworthy.

…The kid had already gotten him out of one earlier scrape, and another even bigger one just a while ago. While small, if Roman played things right, he might be able to get the kid's help in order to get himself and Neo out from underneath Cinder's heel…

"I'm assigned you and Neo to the job."

Roman jolted in his seat as he was pulled from his thoughts.

"Huh?"

Cinder frowned. "Weren't you listening? I said you and Neo will be responsible for resolving the issue with Thanh. Even if that lizard was the reason why the mission was a half-failure, the job was still your responsibility. Thus, it is on you to tie up any loose ends."

Cinder almost expected Roman to kick up a fuss about that, but blinked when the man smiled.

"Finally, something easy! And a good stress reliever too." Roman grinned, saluting with two fingers. "Rest assured, Cindy. Our little reptile problem will be resolved before the sun's up, right Neo?"

The mute clapped her hands in her seat, looking positively giddy at the job they'd been assigned.

"…Glad to hear it." Cinder said with a slow nod. "After that's done be ready to receive more orders. We still need more dust for our mission, and I will have it. Even if Vale will be quicker in their response to your heists and thefts, you are not to stop until we have what we need. Is that clear?"

"Yeah, yeah…" Roman sighed. "Just so long as you or your animal friends provide me with locations, I'll get it done somehow. I've already been outed as working with the Fang, so no one's gonna care if my henchmen are seen wearing Grimm masks now."

"Given how keen Adam is on getting the White Fang's name out there, that will actually be a benefit." Cinder said.

"So I'm still supposed to use his guys?"

"You are."

"…Well, hopefully the next goons he lends me know how to follow directions properly." Roman sighed as he pushed himself off of the couch. "Text me if you need anything. Meanwhile, I'm gonna go cross a name off that list Adam gave you. Let's go, Neo."

Roman headed for the door and Neo followed after him. After the two left, it was just Cinder, Emerald and Mercury left inside the room.

"…Emerald, did you manage to finish the errand I gave to you?"

"I did." Emerald confirmed with an eager nod. "There are a few who I think would be good to meet with and see how useful they are for your plans. They have capital, resources, and manpower. Any that didn't meet your requirements I turned away."

"Excellent work. You've done very well." Cinder grinned.

"Of course!"

While most of the criminals had done their best to stay out of her way during her rapid rise to prominence within Vale's underworld, there were a few that had made overtures to form an alliance with her or had even been willing to server under her. With her infiltration into Beacon fast approaching, her ability to take personal action would be much reduced since she'd be under Beacon and thus Ozpin's radar. She needed proxies to act in her stead and push her plans along while she, Emerald and Mercury were busy playing student, specifically individuals who were ready to follow her instructions better than Adam's White Fang were able to.

These criminals who pledged their allegiance to her would be her unseen arms and legs while she mingled in Beacon Academy. She just had to determine which individuals would serve her purposes best.

Cinder glanced down at the photos spread across the table.

And perhaps, if she was lucky, they would be able to resolve a few annoyances before they could actually become problems.

"All the actors are beginning to appear on stage." Cinder chuckled to herself. "Now, we just need to make sure everyone plays their part…"

And then the power she was seeking would finally be hers for the taking.

- - -

"You're back."

Adam nodded to Ilia as he stepped within sight of the camp. She'd been waiting just outside the campgrounds for him to return, it seemed.

"You didn't need to wait up."

"Felt I had to. Not only to hear the full story of what went down at the docks, but also to hear what the flame bitch wanted to talk about this time." Ilia replied with a shrug before giving Adam an expectant look. "So? What's the news?"

"What have you heard?"

"Only what we've heard the news say on the radio. And we missed some of the details since reception on the thing gets choppy out here. We all know how biased the radio is against us, but we got the impression that Thanh might've cocked things up."

"He did indeed." Adam confirmed, earning an annoyed grunt from the chameleon faunus.

"I told you he was more of a liability than an asset." Ilia huffed. "Sure, Thanh's a decent fighter but that's all he's good for. His regeneration makes him a good meat shield for our guys but a heist like this was always going to-"

"You know the reason why he was sent. It was the prelude to our declaration of war against Vale." Adam argued.

"I get that Adam, I do, but we didn't just lose Thanh. We also lost a chunk of our other fighters that got arrested alongside him." Ilia sighed. "Other than you and me, we've got barely half a dozen huntsman-trained fighters. Half the rest don't even have their auras unlocked. And half of that half are volunteers we recruited when we got here a couple months back. We've a distinct lack of actual soldiers on hand."

"And with our original intended operation to bolster our forces hitting an unexpected dead end, we weren't able to make up for the men we lost on the raid we did before arriving in Vale." Adam sighed. "Has there been any information on the 'knight' who interfered with us?"

"Nothing substantial. I've caught wind of a few rumors about him, but they all originate a distance away from Vale. Haven't had a chance to follow up on those leads, but I got the impression he's not near the city."

"I see." Adam nodded slowly. The lack of leads on the mystery huntsman was a disappointment, but he wasn't a focus. Not yet anyway. "Were you able to get in contact with Sienna?"

Ilia grimaced. "Fennec answered instead. Sienna's currently out with some of the other leaders raiding a large SDC compound. I made a request to get some reinforcements sent over, but he said that our top operatives were needed on more important missions."

"We'll need to make do then." Adam murmured, crossing his arms over his chest as he ruminated on how to best move forward from here.

Cinder had her plans, but the White Fang still needed to pursue its own agenda independent from her. They couldn't just sit around and wait for Cinder to call on them. They had to find some means of bolstering their supplies and resources before the day arrived to enact their grand plans.

The White Fang couldn't rest on their laurels while their primary mission had yet to be accomplished.

"Any news on shipments from Atlas?" Adam asked. "With the Vytal Festival preparations starting soon, and with so many flying in from other nations, have there been any ideal targets for raids?"

"I took note of a few, but I think it's best you look over my suggestions before deciding on anything." Ilia told him. "We do have to be smarter about how we use our men until we can recruit more members."

"Indeed." Adam nodded as he moved past her. "I'll look over your notes as soon as I can. Thank you, Ilia."

"Of course."

Adam paused at the border of the camp, remembering he'd left one thing out of the conversation.

"Adam?"

"I've located Blake."

"Really?!" Ilia gasped. "Wait, does that mean you were able to confirm-"

"She's currently attending Beacon as a student." Adam said quietly, hand tensing on the hilt of his sword as he spoke.

Ilia just stared at him for a moment before her hands clenched into fists at her sides. "That's… she…! Abandoning us, the cause… just to go play huntress?!"

"It would appear so." Adam growled. "Trust me, I'm just as infuriated as you are."

"After all her complaints, all her accusations and words thrown about us needing to be better in how we conduct ourselves and accomplish our goals…" Ilia hissed, throwing up her hands incredulously. "She thinks joining an academy is how she's gonna make a difference?! She's just running away, the little traitor!"

Knowing Ilia shared his anger toward their desert helped calm Adam's nerves somewhat. It was that solidarity that helped keep Adam focus and put thoughts of Blake to the side for the time being.

"She will answer for her betrayal, Illa. Mark my words. For now, we've other priorities."

"Right, yeah, got it." Ilia nodded, letting out her frustration with a heavy sigh as she followed Adam into the camp. "By the way, Muscan's being held in Rory's tent. They're keeping an eye on him."

"Good. The little rat has a few questions he needs to answer since his squad leader is currently sitting in one of Vale's cells." Adam said, using one thumb to flick his sword out of its sheath slightly.

"What are we gonna do about Thanh anyway?" Ilia asked at his side. "I don't think we can afford to spring him out right now. I mean, I could try it but I don't know the layout of Vale so I can't guarantee even with my-"

"You don't need to worry about Thanh anymore, Ilia. It's being taken care of."

Ilia's eyebrows shot up at that. It wasn't hard to grasp the meaning of Adam's words.

"Huh. Well, at least that's one problem we won't have to deal with anymore." Ilia muttered.

"Indeed." Adam confirmed as they made their way through the camp.

- - -

Thanh paced angrily in his cell. The bars were thick and the walls containing him were thicker, and there was no way for him to get out. Especially not when he was currently dressed in a strait jacket which prevented him from clawing his way out, and the ventilator mask that had been fixed over his jaw killed any option of biting his way out. He, one of the White Fang's greatest warriors, had been arrested and confined within a human jail.

How humiliating.

"They'll all pay." Thanh hissed through the mask. "Once I get out of here, those brats… I'll pick them apart piece by piece."

Especially that little pupil of Gato's. That win had been a fluke. If it had just been the princess, that blonde brat, and the other tagalongs he would've crushed them all… but then the rest had shown up and it had been a little too much chaos aimed at him. He would've never been defeated otherwise.

He just had to wait for his brothers and sisters in the White Fang to come and liberate him from his containment. He was too valuable to leave in a cell. Then when he got out, he'd go on a proper hunt. He'd sniff out their wayward princess and break her, then when her knight in rags and other brats came running he'd pick them off one by one until-

"Lookin' good, Thanh."

Thanh whipped around at the sound of a familiar cocky voice and blinked when he saw Roman Torchwick standing outside of his cell.

"Gotta say, your current mask suits you much more than the usual one your little club wears." Roman smirked, gesturing to the faunus's face. "Really ties the whole outfit together. Plus I think you've have less of a teething issue this way too."

"Torchwick!"

"Ugh, could do without the holes though." Roman grimaced, waving a hand in front of his face. "Seriously man, you gotta brush. Can still smell your breath even way over here."

"Cute." Thanh snarled under the mask as he approached the bars of his cell. "Just hurry up and get on with it."

"Get on with what?"

"With getting me out of here!" Thanh shouted, finding the human's word games as frustrating as he always did. "Why else would you be here? The White Fang obviously sent you to free me! So hurry up and open the cell doors!"

"Thanh, buddy, dude, pal, friend… you're getting the complete wrong idea here." Roman sighed, shaking his head. "No springing or freeing tonight. Since you botched my original mission, my boss gave me a new one. Specifically, tying up the loose ends from the job that went wrong."

Thanh just stared. "What…?"

"…Now, I know you're not the brightest bulb, but you gotta see where I'm driving at with this, yeah?" Roman smiled. "You're being cut loose. Thanks for your services and all, but it's just not working out, so-"

"Bullshit!" Thanh snarled. "You don't get to make that call, Torchwick! The White Fang wouldn't-"

"Adam signed off on it." Roman cut in. "You really do not have a lot of fans in the club you're so proud of. Plus planning to break the bro code like you were gonna… I mean, that Blake girl may be Adam's ex but what you wanted to do to her was-"

"Lies! A warrior of my caliber… they can't afford to lose me!"

"Welp, they're gonna. They'll definitely be better off." Roman said. "Plus, big bonus for me, Madame Rogue put out a bounty on your head too! She wasn't too happy about the way you treated her girl… so you'll be paying for my drinks tonight! Plus a box of my favorite cigars, imported all the way from Vacuo… and I'll still have quite a bit leftover for Neo's birthday present. It's still a couple months away, but I like to plan ahead."

"…So what then, you're going to kill me?" Thanh scoffed, smirking underneath his mask. "Even with my arms bound I could kill you, Torchwick. You are no warrior. Not like ME. I'm a champion, and you're just a mouthy rat."

"Ouch. Given the company you keep, that cuts to the bone." Roman said, holding a hand over his heart dramatically.

"Go ahead and try, Roman Torchwick." Thanh sneered, stepping back to the center of his cell and crouching slightly. "You think yourself above me? You're about to see how wrong you are if you think-"

Rolling his eyes, Roman flicked something out of his coat and tossed it into Thanh's cell. The faunus's eyes widened when the object Roman tossed bounced near his feet.

"Wait-?!"

Roman closed his eyes as an explosion burst in his ears, followed by a wave of chilled air that had him shivering a bit even through his coat. "Whew, that's bracing. Can really get cold in Vale sometimes. How you feeling, Thanh?"

His lower body encased in frost from the ice dust grenade Roman had thrown at him, Thanh's whole body shook on the ground, writhing as the cold seeped into his bones and the icicles scraped and cut into his skin.

"T-T-T-Torchwick…!"

"Figured you'd like that, being the cold-blooded warrior you are." Torchwick shrugged. "Putting you on ice first makes skinning you easier. Neo, he's all yours."

Thanh's eyes widened when suddenly glass shattered in his vision and suddenly Torchwick's pink haired bitch was standing in the cell and staring down at him with cruel eyes that promised pain while Torchwick looked in over the small girl's shoulder.

"Neo, sweetie, I paid the guards to have their cameras undergo a 'system malfunction' for about fifteen minutes. I wasted five minutes talking to this lizard, so that means we gotta be out the door in eight, okay?" Torchwick called to her like a parent dropping their kid off at a playdate. "Have your fun, but make sure you're quick about it."

Neo nodded enthusiastically and drew her sword out.

Thanh tried to scramble away, but couldn't find any purchase on the icy floor. Not only that, but the cold and ice pricking into him was biting into his aura, and his semblance… the pace of his regeneration would be a fraction of what it would normally be if he was suffering from frostbite!

"W-Wait, T-T-Torchwick, y-you c-can't…!"

"Well, of course I can't. That's what Neo's for." Torchwick replied, leaning against the wall as he took out a cigar and lit it up. "Cheers, Thanh. Can't say it's been fun, because it hasn't, but… hey, we'll see about making bits of you she cuts off into a wallet or a purse or something. Then you can be useful to someone."

Thanh snarled and pushed himself up onto his knees in spite of the cold and pain. He stared up and Torchwick's partner who was twirling her blade lightly in her hand.

"Y-You can't kill me. I-I am Thanh the Immortal! I-I am an undying warrior!" Thanh hissed at her, trying to beat his own fear back with his threats. "Y-You're nothing c-compared to me…!"

Neo simply smiled at him. She couldn't reply to his words even if she wanted to.

Luckily, the steel of her sword could do all her talking for her.

- - - - -

Everyone had settled down to sleep-Even Weiss, though not without texting Neptune a massive amount beforehand. Blake wondered if she was doing it just to be obnoxious-To Yang and Ruby at least.

She resisted the urge to shake her head-She couldn't tip her team off. Not now.

Her keen ears let her tell when everyone's heartbeats were slowed and breathing soft and natural. Then, stealthy as a cat, she slipped out of her bunk bed and out into the silent hallway. She walked out, seeking an empty dorm room.

She found one and slipped in, quick and silent as a shadow. She sat down on one of the long unused chairs, and took a deep breath.

Blake held up the Scroll Goodwitch gave her. Her hands trembled a little as she stared at her dark reflection from the moonlight.

She shut her eyes tightly and set the Scroll down on a nearby table. It rattled loudly in the silent room, as her hands shook.

I could just lie, she thought, I could just lie. Tell them I did it. Tell him…

Blake fingered the letter from Menagerie. She'd tucked it away with her, keeping it close. The scents of her parents were still strong.

She breathed it in, taking some comfort in it as she had when she was small.

I don't know what will be worse, she thought, Being forgiven or being shunned, but…

She had promised to never run away again.

Blake picked up the Scroll, and activated it. The screen lit up her face. She selected the only number in the directory, and tapped it.

It rang. Once. Twice. She fidgeted, her heart beating loudly in her ears.

The call connected. A familiar, sleepy looking man with a black beard blearily held up his Scroll.

"Glynda? Ozpin? What is it?"

Blake sucked in a soft breath.

"Hello Daddy."

"Blake?!"

- - -

WHITE KNIGHT ERRANT VOLUME 1: COMPLETE

VOLUME 2... IN PROGRESS...

Thirty-Nine: Semester Break Arc Begin
The law offices of Dvalinn, Alviss, and Ottar was one of the finest in all of Vale, and had business in Mistral. They had worked with Pyrrha's family since she was born. Their offices were in downtown Vale in the Old Town District, which was filled with buildings in the architectural styles popular prior to the Great War, ranging from Valean Neo-Classical to Old Animaen. The exterior of the building was solemn gray, with bricks arranged in pillars, archs, and vaults to hold up the angled blue-green roof tiling. A large clock face shaped window decorated the top floor of the building, letting the afternoon light into the warm, earthy office filled with books, wooden tables, and carved stone statues and lamps.

The environs with their pillars and elegantly carved statues helped put Pyrrha Nikos at ease, to an extent. Mistralian architecture felt familiar, and it helped keep her mind on her task.

She sat in casual street clothes at the large, main table in the office. She winced as she squeezed her wrist, shaking it out as she dropped the pen onto the pile of paperwork. She looked across the table at the only other person in the room, who was filling the air with the sweet scent of South Sanus Tobacco.

"Any more?" She asked softly.

Hoss Dvalinn looked up from his own paperwork. He was a small but broad man, built like a gnarled, old tree trunk. His nose was long, poking past his long, flowing white beard. His hair was similarly white and flowing backwards, revealing his high forehead and keen blue eyes. He chuckled as he puffed on his pipe, sitting in his well tailored suit with his feet up on a spare chair.

"Just a few more, my dear, just a few more," he said. "Thankfully, she didn't pay much attention to the emancipation clauses in the various contracts around you. Means she didn't think you'd ever leave her."

Pyrrha bowed her head, shame filling her. Hoss puffed on his pipe a few more times, then reached out and patted her hand comfortingly.

"Now now. If anything, I'm glad you decided to separate."

Pyrrha looked up in surprise.

"Hoss?"

"I was your grandmother and mother's lawyer, my dear," Hoss said consolingly, "I got some idea of her moods, her… Tendencies."

He shook his head, before blowing a few smoke rings into the air.

"I did what I could. It was never enough," he admitted quietly. He shrugged. "Not enough to keep you out of a legal tower, away from all."

Pyrrha shook her head, looking at the old man with compassion.

"You shouldn't blame yourself," she murmured softly. "I… I don't know what I'm doing. I don't know if I'm doing the right thing-"

Hoss waved his free hand, scoffing loudly.

"Bah! Of course you're doing the right thing!" He shook his head. "Your mother needs help. Seriously needs help. This? This may help her finally get out of that crazy headspace, poor girl."

He grinned and winked.

"Besides… From what I've heard, a boy helped you take these steps?"

Pyrrha blushed heavily. She tapped her fingers together.

"Um… I-I mean…" She then scowled.

"Hoss… How much have you been investigating?"

Hoss chuckled and shrugged.

"Well, your mother wanted me to look into all your companions at Beacon. It was all quite legal, really. And they're all just fine." He frowned as he looked over some papers, picking up his reading glasses to focus.

"Though six months before your start at Beacon, Mister Arc went off the grid. You're aware of that?"

"Of course!" Pyrrha insisted, "He was trying to get to Beacon on foot. He had some… Misadventures, though I don't know all the details." She frowned.

"He isn't in any trouble, is he?" She asked anxiously.

"Not legally," Hoss observed, "But… Hrm…" He chuckled at Pyrrha's worried expression. "Oh no. Don't worry about it, Pyrrha. Honestly, it's just a lot of hokum and tall tales. Nothing to be concerned about! It's outlandish to think any one person could end up in so many ridiculous situations!"

Pyrrha's concerned face didn't change. Hoss leaned forward, puffing his pipe.

"All I know is that he's a good lad. Heroic. A bit prone to getting into trouble, but seems decent enough. His father and mother were great hunters. His father before dying at Rotofield, his mother retired to go fully into medicine shortly after."

"I know, I worked with her before," Pyrrha said softly, "My mother… My mother only wanted the best."

Hoss squeezed her hand.

"She wants what's best for you, Pyrrha. But she doesn't know what that is," he said, "She'll realize it, one day, or she won't. But what's more important is what you want."

He shook his head.

"But no. The lad's all right. Indeed, he seems to have some other female admirers."

Pyrrha glowered.

"I'm… Aware," she managed tightly. Hoss nodded.

"So… Are you going to go after him?"

Pyrrha flushed.

"I-I mean… I've made my… My feelings clear…"

Hoss puffed on his pipe and lifted his bushy eyebrows.

"And?"

"We… We've agreed to go on a date," Pyrrha said, "But… But he thinks I can do better. And he thinks I… I might be a little… Um…"

"Crazy?" Hoss quipped. Pyrrha flushed. He chuckled.

"Relax. I thought my wife was crazy, too. We've been together for forty years now." He leaned forward over the desk, his beard brushing over the papers.

"But you can't let him get away! You've got to fight for him!" He slammed a fist down on the table. "Like in any of your fights, you must visualize what you want… And how to achieve it!"

Pyrrha hummed. She closed her eyes, and focused…

She was standing in the JNPR dorms, when Jaune busted the door open. She jumped as he entered, his eyes blazing.

"Pyrrha," he growled, "There's a problem."

Pyrrha stood up, shaking in excitement.

"Y-Yes, Jaune? What's the problem?"

He grabbed her, pulled her into a tight embrace, and kissed her deeply. Brutally. His tongue dominated hers as his hands roamed her body. She squealed in shock as she returned the kiss eagerly. He broke it, and nuzzled her before he spanked her. She squealed in delight.

"J-Jaune~..."

"The problem is that you're not my woman," he growled.

Pyrrha trembled and licked her lips. She looks into his eyes lovingly.

"Oh Jaune… I've always been your woman. Heart. Mind. Soul… And body~..."

"Pyrrha," Jaune husked, kissing her so hard she was left breathless. "Mmm… "

"O-Oh Jaune!" Pyrrha whimpered. "I give my everything to you… Because I trust you. I love you…"

Jaune smiled, nuzzling her back.

"I love you too, Pyrrha. You'll be mine, forever…"

He growled.

"Now strip… And spread 'em."

Hoss blinked and titled his head.

"Eh… Pyrrha?"

Pyrrha giggled, a bit of drool escaping the side of her mouth as she blushed.

"Pyrrha? You okay?"

Pyrrha blinked, and coughed.

"I-I'm fine!" She said quickly. "Just um… Visualizing!"

Hoss chuckled knowingly, and nodded slowly.

"Of course, of course… Maybe do that where you won't give an old man a heart attack? There's still a lot of paperwork to go through."

"R-Right! Right!" Pyrrha said, taking to the work with new energy. After all, the sooner she got this done? The sooner she could make her visualizations come true.

- - -

Hoss is a mutation of the Old Norse word "Hǫss" which meant "White/Grey" (As in the color of elderly people's hair). Dvalinn, Alviss, and Ottar are the names of dwarves from Norse Mythology. I don't know why my first thought for this was to make dwarves into lawyers, but here we are and they may yet appear in the future as our heroes encounter various legal issues.

"Not legally," Hoss observed, "But… Hrm…" He chuckled at Pyrrha's worried expression. "Oh no. Don't worry about it, Pyrrha. Honestly, it's just a lot of hokum and tall tales. Nothing to be concerned about! It's outlandish to think any one person could end up in so many ridiculous situations!"

Jaune was Ciaphas Cain'ing his way across the continent, wasn't he?

"Eh… Pyrrha?"

Pyrrha giggled, a bit of drool escaping the side of her mouth as she blushed.

"Pyrrha? You okay?"

Down, girl!

Thanks for the chapter!

W Ciaphas Cain Exp W author W story W rizz

Forty
- - -

Patch was one of many islands that had been independent kingdoms before joining with Vale fully. Unlike Albion, its ambitions had not been imperial in scale, mainly due to the fact it was too small to have ever had a large population or significant resources. It had spent much of its time being controlled by various kingdoms. It had been invaded and traded hands so often the inhabitants had begun to see it as a kind of sport. Albion had built the Signal Academy when they'd invaded. Atlas had built better docks and an airfield during the Great War. And when they'd formally joined Vale after the Great War, they'd gotten modern equipment for their lumber industry.

Well, 'modern' for the time. Most of that machinery was left rusting or covered in flowers and grass. One such example lay near the Xiao-Long homestead, an old, rusted relic that Yang and Ruby had played upon in their childhood. It still gleamed, the remaining chrome bright as the noonday sun shone down upon it.

Yang and her father sparred in front of the ancient lumber vehicle, fists and feet crashing against each other as they fought furiously. Both were shiny with sweat, as their morning exercise had been going on since sunup.

Yang unleashed a punishing three strike combo of punches and a powerful kick, which drove Taiyang back. He took the strikes before dropping down to sweep her feet. She jumped up and dove like a falcon to strike her father in his lowered stance with a wide grin.

"GOT YOUUU-UGH!"

Her father caught her punch and swung her down onto the grass, slamming her down into the ground with a boom! Her breath was knocked right out of her as her father pinned her down.

He grinned down at her.

"Awake now, Little Dragon?" Tai asked. Yang scowled up as he stood up onto his feet. He extended his hand, and pulled her up. They walked over to the wreck of the old vehicle, where a wooden board had been placed to create a crude bench. They both sat. Tai pulled out some chilled water bottles from a cooler, and handed his daughter one before he popped the cap and began to drink.

Yang followed suit, letting the cool water wash down her throat.

They both slowly caught their breath, before Tai broke the quiet.

"So. Wanna talk about it?"

Yang set her empty bottle down, and stared back at the house.

"I don't know," she sighed, "It's… Complicated."

"So it involves a boy," Tai said with a nod. Yang flushed.

"N-No!" Yang said quickly. Far too quickly. Tai's grin grew.

"Same reason Ruby's in there reading Mistralian romance comics instead of technical manuals?" He asked, nodding towards their house.

"... Maybe," Yang admitted. She sighed.

She gave her father a brief summary of things. She tried so hard to not blush or stutter, but… Geez. All of a sudden, she was right back to being a nervous ten year old.

At the end, Tai nodded slowly, looking thoughtful.

He then smiled at her.

"So. You're both after the same guy, huh?"

"It didn't start out that way but…" Yang nodded.

"So? What's the deal?" Tai asked. "You've kissed boys before, if the school scuttlebutt is any indication."

"Dad!" Yang whined. Tai chuckled, and patted her on the shoulder. She pouted back at him.

"It's just… Ruby started crushing on him, bad," Yang said, "And she asked me to keep him from the other girls thirsty for him. But he…" Her eyes softened. "He's… Someone special. All those other things, I just did it because, well… That's what a popular girl does. I never caught feelings before."

"Love is stupid like that," Tai said with a nod. Yang groaned and rubbed her face in irritation.

"It's just ridiculous… He's such a dork, and then he whips out some badass from somewhere and acts like a man instead of a teen!" She punched a large dent into the rusted metal of the ancient lumber machine, growling under her breath.

Tai chuckled again and nodded.

"So… What are you going to do?"

"I'm going on a date with him, aren't I?" Yang demanded. Tai leaned in.

"You don't actually have to," he said, "Nothing's making you. So…?"

Yang groaned again.

"I just… I do like him. And everything I could do when he was just some guy? I can't do it! Especially not when Ruby outright says she's going after him, too! I just… How can I…?"

Tai shook his head… And then slugged Yang in the shoulder, hard. The blonde woman yelped, and glared with red eyes.

"The hell was that for?!"

"What have I always said?" He asked. Yang blinked, confused.

"Huh?"

"About you and romance," he said gently. Yang's eyes faded to lilac as she considered the question. She then sighed in resignation.

"'As long as no one dies, no one is crippled, no one has an incurable disease, and you don't make a baby, everything can be worked out,'" she recited, like she was back in school at Signal. She shook her head. "Yeah, I know but-"

Tai grinned and waved his hand as the wind sent the grass into waves across the plain. It felt like they were on a ship in a vast, green sea. Just like it had when she was a small child, safe with her father and mother.

"But nothing. You two will still be sisters no matter who gets this guy. So remember that, huh? If he's worth it, he will understand. And if he's worth it? Do you really want to let him get away without finding out if he's the one?"

Yang bit her lower lip. Tai squeezed his eldest daughter's shoulder and smiled warmly, kindly.

"You deserve to find out if you can find some real happiness, Yang," he said softly, "You don't have to worry about taking care of me and Ruby anymore."

Yang glanced at him, then looked back down in guilt. Tai smiled sadly.

"It's all right, Yang. I'm sorry I… That was my fault. You should never have had to face that. But you did face it. You became so strong. I'm so proud of you. But don't let those circumstances hold you back from finding out if this boy can bring you some happiness, huh?" He shook her shoulder gently.

"Maybe you'll get married to him and have a dozen kids. Maybe you'll break up after a few weeks."

Yang glared out at the house, her eyes flashing red as she gripped the wooden board.

"Maybe he'll run out on me when we have a child and never talk to us again," she snarled.

Tai was silent for a moment. Yang looked at him, an apology on her lips-He held up a hand.

"Maybe," he said, "But even… Even with that? I don't regret it. I got you. I got Ruby. And you both got a real mother, as…" He sighed softly. "As short as it was… I wouldn't trade it for anything."

"Dad," Yang murmured softly. Tai smiled, and leaned in to affectionately bump her head.

"But… You owe it to yourself to find out. So don't hold back, all right? Be the brave little dragon I know you can be."

Yang slowly nodded. She managed a small smile, though she looked away. She blinked rapidly, keeping any tears out of her eyes.

Tai beamed, and pulled her into a brief, one armed hug. She didn't like being doted on too much, and he respected that. Which she loved about him.

"So… Who is he, anyway?" Tai asked. Yang blinked.

"Eh?"

"You didn't mention his name at all," Tai said, raising an eyebrow, "Someone I know?"

Yang winced.

"Er… Yeah. Kind of. Crybaby Jaune Arc? Remember him?"

Tai blinked rapidly. He hummed, looking thoughtful.

"Isabel's kid, huh? Hmmm..."

"I mean, you two are old friends, right?" Yang asked. "I remember her, sort of. Jaune's her only son, and he's doing great at Beacon!"

"Hmmm," Tai continued, still very thoughtful. Yang frowned in response, leaning in.

"Really, he-He's a good guy! I'm not even attracted to him because I think he'd piss you off! I-I think I'm past that! Dad?"

Tai shook his head, started out of his thoughts. He then smiled at her.

"So… Remember that last thing? About having a baby?"

Yang blinked.

"Eh?"

"About that last one... Being a teenaged mom is nothing to be ashamed of, as long as he marries you."

Yang's cheeks went red as her jaw dropped.

"Dad?!"

"I mean," Tai went on, "He's not the type to just run out, right?"

"I-No, I don't think so, but-!"

"And if he tries, his mother would make sure he wouldn't," Tai chuckled, "She'd break his legs if he tried."

"Dad? What the hell?" Yang demanded. Tai shrugged with a bright grin.

"What? I'm just saying, if you do become a teenaged mother, there are worse fates than marrying the son of a rich, famous doctor!"

"DAD!"

"What? Ruby's too young right now! Though I'll definitely tell her to give it her best shot too-"

"DAAAAD!"

- - -

Users who are viewing this thread

Back