• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Sneaking His Way into the Multiverse (RWBY Jaune, WC-lite mechanics)

I really can't see why you think every and all actions done by Jaune and Tats are stupid or foolish. Some of them are yes but the way their Dishonored run ended was a success. They got their loot, weapons, potions, currency, towels, food and a power [Third Arm]. That run was a success compared to the previous one. Not every protagonists has to be heroic, perfect, capable, strong and whole myriad of positives. They can be villainous, flawed, small, weak and even dumb.
You are mischaracterizing my posts. I am not sure whether you are reading things into the post that aren't there or misunderstanding the post itself. I never said anything about everything Jaune did being stupid and foolish. I specifically stated that he was a mix of competent and foolish that I find very realistic and plausible, that he would act in a competent manner do impressive things and do them well. But that time after time he would be at the point of succeeding and then sabotage himself by abandoning his current actions to do something "good" and self-sabotage destroying all his progress. And it's something I've seen many people do. It's something I personally find very annoying in a protagonist because I've seen it so many times over decades of reading and to me it reeks of an author who must sabotage the protagonists victories so that they do not ever succeed. But the annoying thing is not that the protagonist doesn't succeed in everything, it's that he had succeeded and then suddenly did a metaphorical 180 and sabotaged himself in a way contrary to his own actions and motivations of just a scene or two ago. What he does show is severe lack of self-discipline something kind of expected of a teenager in modern society but Remnant for all its trapping i not the modern first world. Also a lack of the sort of pragmatism and down to earth reality check you should very much see in a person raised on a world as dangerous as Remnant. But that is something that a protagonist can begin a story with but must grow out of swiftly.

Tattletale I have never said is stupid. She is quite intelligent, but her personality is a toxic self-destructive mess. The sort of person that you never leave near yourself because they are going to destroy themselves and they are going to drag everyone around themselves down with them when they go. Tattletale is such a toxic personality she came across in Worm as a misogynist stereotype of the manipulative scheming self-destructive woman. She is a social cancer to all around her and unfortunately Jaune does not appear to recognize that, which again is very realistic for a young man dealing with an attractive but emotionally toxic woman.

I took your post to be in favor of protagonists that are not only incompetent but stay incompetent, that fail time after time due to their own failings but are saved by luck and circumstance to screw up again. There is a place for growing into a more competent character over the course of fiction. Protagonists should never be perfect, but they must be capable and they must be heroic in the original Greek sense of the word. They must have arrete. Otherwise they are not protagonists, they are object lessons. Icarus isn't a protagonist or a hero, that you see him in this light shows a lack of understanding. He's an Aesop, he the idiot you tell stories to children about to remind how dumbasses get themselves killed with their stupidity. Protagonists can be villanous, evil, immoral and flawed. What they must never be is incompetent, stupid, and weak willed. Because those aren't protagonists, they are the object lessons to deride and ridicule so everyone understands not to be them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back