1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Spitfire Quest (Worm x D&D) - Character Creation & Mechanics Discussion

Discussion in 'Q&R Index' started by evildice, Apr 23, 2015.

1. Guile

Guile Clothes That Kill Virgins

Aquatic Adaptation - Gain a Swim speed and you can breathe & use your breath weapon under water.
    Beguiling Influence - +6 on Bluff, Diplomacy and Intimidate checks all day.
    Breath of the Night - as the spell Fog Cloud
    Darkness - as the spell
    Deafening Roar - everyone in 30 ft. cone deafened for 1 hour (Fort negates)
    Draconic Knowledge - +6 to all Knowledge skills, and treat all Knowledge skills as trained.
    Endure Exposure - you and any number of allies (by touch, one at a time) are immune to discomfort from hot or cold weather, and also they don't take damage from your breath weapon.
    See the Unseen - gain Darkvision and See Invisibility.

Let's think about this. There's Darkness and Breath of Night, powers that are basically Brian's entire powerset. See the Unseen lets you combo with Brian very well.

Beguiling Influence and Draconic Knowledge are both brilliant options if RPed correctly. +6 bonus modifiers are huge. You are suddenly as convincing as the the best used car salesman in town, or you are suddenly wikipedia in your head. How weird is that? In the first case, you're suddenly worried about being labelled a Master. Your favorite pop singer is going to the Birdcage for shit like this! In the latter case, you're clearly a Thinker, but it's so... useless! Well, you never have to study for another test, but aside from that...

Aquatic Adaptation is normally totally worthless, but in this situation... half the city is adjacent to a bay. Lung and the Merchants' entire area of influence are on the docks; part of the Empire's... empire is the Boardwalk, which is also on the beach.

evildice likes this.
  2. evildice

evildice (emotionally stable clown posse)

+6 to Knowledge (local), along with 4 ranks, is a whole lot of streetwise. Plus yeah, your grades will be good with way less effort, which means your cape activities won't be traceable by a sudden dip in academic performance.

But also, yeah, +6 to Bluff / Diplomacy / Intimidate is huge, and can solve a lot of problems.

The social buff will probably solve more problems than the Knowledge stuff would, but the Knowledge buff might help point us in directions where we wouldn't have so many problems in the first place. For example, Diplomacy might get you out of hot water, but Knowledge (legal stuff) might mean you weren't in hot water in the first place. Both are good, in different ways.

Another thing to keep in mind is that we're going to grow scales soon. Disguise and Bluff might be important. At level 6, we might want to take the Humanoid Form invocation just to pass for baseline human again, and as another +10 to Disguise (I think).

Sheaman3773 and Jack of Olives like this.
  3. Guile

For stats and skills, feats and invocations:
    In general, I'd prefer to use our rogue half for physical grace rather than sneakery. It seems like a more fun way to play the character. Dodge Brute attacks, use Evasion to somehow pop out of Blaster powers unharmed.

I'll put together a few sample builds later.

evildice likes this.
  4. Threadmarks: Vote #1 RESULTS
    evildice

First Vote Closed
    [X] 5 A wilting wallflower at Winslow (age 15). "Oh-em-gee, did you hear what Emma did?": (WyldCard4, The Shadowmind, 1986ctcel, Tetsurō, Trilonias)
    - Do we have any friends at Winslow? Do we have a favorite teacher?

[X] 5 An orphanage, and you think of the other kids as your little brothers & sisters. The caretakers and workers are really nice, too.: (The Shadowmind, 1986ctcel, Xilph, Tetsurō, Jack of Olives)
    - Name of orphanage?
    - Who runs the place?
    - Name some kids: when did they come here, what's their trauma?
    - Is there a boy our age who grew up with you and has recently started to regard you as perhaps more than a sister, but he's unable to be honest with himself, so you get teasing and spitballs and such?

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  5. Trilonias

Trilonias I trust you know where the happy button is?

Ok, wait, were my votes not counted? *scratches head* At least the first part was the same thing I voted for, but still.

evildice likes this.
  6. evildice

Yeah, looks like the vote-counting script is not seeing your votes. Here's the result count I got just now: http://pastebin.com/UiRVSzL6

The vote for orphanage-friends was 4 for, 2 against (+1 against who wasn't counted by the script). So that vote stands, because even with your vote, it's still 4 to 3.

Was anyone else not counted?

7. Trilonias

Weird... I wonder why it didn't count? What did I do?! I want to fix this for future counts...

evildice likes this.
  8. evildice

Yeah I dunno. I'll ask on IRC. Is there anywhere else to ask?

The vote-counter I used was "qqbot".

Trilonias likes this.
  9. Trilonias

I dunno. I'll ask if this keeps up, but if it is a one time thing... *shrugs*

evildice likes this.
  10. Jack of Olives

Jack of Olives Knows just enough to be dangerous.

Didn't count my first vote either, either. :(

Maybe it's because I voted for background in one post, and skills in another?

evildice likes this.
  11. evildice

I sent a note off to the script's author, so if we did something wrong or if there's a bug in the script, hopefully we'll know soon. Jack of Olives, I'll let him know about your votes, too. Thanks!

Adding both of your votes means:
    Orphan+Friends = 5
    Orphan-no-friends = 3
    Winslow = 5
    Done with school = 2

With the vote seeming to be closed, I'm asking for brainstorming for orphanage characters. Here's who we've got so far:

Jack of Olives likes this.
  12. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Classes and Levels: Dragonfire Adept 1 // Rogue 1
    Ability scores: 15, 14, 13, 12, 10, 8
    Str: 10
    Dex: 12
    Con: 13
    Int: 14
    Wis: 8
    Cha: 15
    HP: (Con score, +8 class, +1 dragontouched feat)

Skills: (44)
    Balance 4
    Bluff 4
    Concentration 4
    Diplomacy 4
    Disguise 4
    Knowledge(Streetwise) 4
    Knowledge (Tactics) 4
    Knowledge (Technology) 4
    Knowledge (Civics) 4
    Gather Information 4
    Sense Motive 4

Invocation:
    Draconic Knowledge

Feats:
    Hidden Power: Urban Strider(Expanded Psionics Handbook, pg 67/ Complete Psionics pg 104)
    Magical Training(Sorcerer)
    Spells: Prestidigitation, Mending.

evildice likes this.
  13. evildice

With a 14 Int, you'd have (8 class +2 int +1 human) = 11 skill points per level, or 44 at level 1.

You already have all Knowledge skills as class skills, because Dragonfire Adept says you do, so the Education feat seems like a waste. Is it a prereq to something awesome?

The backdoor psionics thing... I dunno.

14. Guile

Okay, here we go.

THE UNDERSIDER:
    Stats: Focus on Constitution and Charisma, with Dexterity and Intelligence not too far behind.
    Skills:
    Primary: Social (Charisma, and skills like Bluff, Diplomacy, Intimidate, and Sense Motive).
    Secondary: Larceny (Dexterity skills like Sleight of Hand, Open Locks, and Disable Device).
    Gather Information is still useful enough for planning jobs that you should pick it up anyway.
    Feats: Entangling Exhalation, with an eye for Flyby Attack, Flyby Breath and Strafing Breath. Clinging and Lingering Breath if there's room, later.
    Invocations: Beguiling Influence, with an eye for either Draconic Knowledge or Endure Elements at level 3. Voidsense or Draconic Flight at level 6; Voidsense lets you sense through Grue's darkness up to 30 feet, while flight is just awesome.

While Draconic Knowledge might be able to combo off of Tattletale's insights, more likely you'd be stepping on each other's toes and being a threat to her title as Smartest Person in the Room. Beguiling Influence will be more helpful as a small fish in a big pond among the villain scene, and will be less likely to get your ribs kicked in by Bitch. Once you have See the Unseen, you're basically never going to leave Grue's darkness except for Flyby Breath strafing runs. Invest in a distance taser, gun with riot bullets, or a good ol' crossbow. Entangling Exhalation serves to lock enemies down in fields of burn-y pain for quick getaways. In the distant future, Clinging and Lingering breath serve to wall off the battlefield, and provide punishing course hazards when comboed with Brian's darkness.

The Undersiders are half stealth and half smash and grab artists, which means Larceny might actually come in useful at some point. You could pick Stealth, but Imp largely has that covered; I went with Social instead; given you may eventually find yourself in conversation with Kaiser, Lung or Jack Slash, doubling down on charm seems wise.

THE FAULTLINE:
    Stats: Focus on Constitution and Dexterity, with Strength and Intelligence not too far behind.
    Skills:
    Primary: Physical grace (Dexterity skills like Tumble, Jump, Balance, and Escape Artist)
    Secondary: Perception (Wisdom/Intellect skills like Spot, Listen, Search, Gather Information, Knowledge (Local) and Sense Motive).
    Stealth skills if there's room for it; as a rogue with decent Int, there might be.
    Feats: Dragonfire Strike, with an eye for Power Surge at level 3 and metamagic breath feats after that. Clinging Breath and Lingering Breath are favorites of mine, but feats like Maximize Breath are good too. Two Weapon Fighting too, if you can fit it in.
    Invocations: Draconic Knowledge, with an eye for Endure Elements at level 3.

This Spitfire is the one with wikipedia in her head; +6 to all Knowledge skills effectively makes you a knowledgeable level 3 person - in every possible range of human endeavor. You might not be able to pilot a boat, but by god you know everything there is to know about one. A great breadth of trivia and knowledge will hopefully come in handy on merc jobs when situations become evolve on the fly. Newter and Gregor are melee fighters, and this Spitfire will be joining them on the front line, making more use of her rogue abilities for tumbling around the battlefield stabbing people in the kidneys. Every few turns, she'll exhale a super-powerful breath that she and the rest of her allies can freely ignore/fight through. Clinging/Lingering Breath provides a constant course hazard that your own team can safely ignore.

You could switch these up (a more melee Spitfire that uses the monster dogs for flanking attacks or a distance Spitfire that minds Labyrinth while still being able to contribute to the fight), but I think the two listed builds work best with each given group.

Sheaman3773 and evildice like this.
  15. evildice

Guile - nicely said.

In addition to what Guile said, a big difference between the two groups is trap-finding and locks options. Faultline can break doors and locks; Tattletale can guess passwords. Tattletale can spot traps; Faultline can probably disarm many traps with her power, or with containment slime from Gregor, but neither of those are very subtle, and neither of them will work in every case.

Tattletale is useless against a lock that need a key; Faultline has no special ability to search for traps or hidden goods.

Another thing to note is that Grue's darkness is more like the old 3.0 darkness spell, or like a smoke cloud, in that Darkvision won't help you see through it. In order to leverage Grue's darkness, we'd want Blindsense or Blindsight.

Sheaman3773 likes this.
  16. Guile

Good to know. Well, potentially being able to interact with Imp in stealth mode would still be fun. I'll switch a few things around - make a note to take Voidsense at level 9 instead of Charm, probably take something else instead of See the Unseen. Probably Endure Elements. It's a good invocation.

evildice likes this.
  17. evildice

Voidsense is great.

The other way to go is Draconic Senses and 3 other [Draconic] feats. We'd immediately get Low-Light Vision (which is very useful in an urban setting), then later get Darkvision 60 and finally Blindsense 20.

18. The Shadowmind

The Shadowmind Well worn.

Revised the build.

Urban Strider was the only easy method of roof-top running I could find available at lvl 1.

evildice likes this.
  19. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

[X] Plan Bailey

Please feel free to make any kind of suggestions on how it might be improved.

I think that between a hefty streetwise score and improved initiative, we should be able to stay out of any fights we don't want to be in, at least for a while. The non-terrible dex and the defensive martial arts should give us the room we need to get our attacks into play.

Defensive martial arts also opens up into a pretty great tree later.

Charisma of course powers our abilities, and intelligence is so unbelievably useful I don't understand why anybody ever calls it a dump stat.

I picked out spanish and mandarin as the two languages to take with the int score.

Entangling exhalation is shiny... but it's not that great when you look at what it actually does.

Sure, it improves your combat rating, but everything does that, if you're clever about it, and combat is the only thing it's good for.

I would actually like to suggest that everybody voting for entangling exhalation drop it in favor of initiative or martial arts.

It's a shame we're not a warlock, or we could pick up a tinker rating later with the crafting feats.

evildice likes this.
  20. Guile

Oh yeah, forgot to actually vote

[X] Guile's THE UNDERSIDER

evildice likes this.
  21. evildice

Gotta say, I really don't like the idea of using two feats to ignore both of our classes in order to try to dip into two primary caster classes. It seems like you want to play a traditional high-power primary caster, but ignoring the current classes would just be weakening the character -- both mechanically and as a concept.

Improved Initiative is valid at character creation.

Defensive Martial Arts is not. It's a d20 Modern feat, so just like Personal Firearms Proficiency, it must be justified by spending time training in-story before it can be chosen. If you want it, we'll have to attend some kind of martial arts class.

Smart. I like those.

Entangling Exhalation is great for control, not damage.

If you can't kill someone, or if you don't want to kill someone (but do want to run away), then an entangling breath attack is a pretty great option. If you want people to not shoot you and your friends, it's great (-2 to attacks, -4 to Dexterity, total -4 to firearms attacks). Also they can't charge you or run away: half speed normal movement only.

The damage is meh and stays meh. The control is what's great, IMHO.

22. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

That's still combat.

Honestly, the martial arts is combat too, and I'd love to pick something that's more handy. What do people think of that feat that boosts disguise and forgery?

evildice likes this.
  23. evildice

It's combat, yeah, but it's not just more damage. It's a way to control the battlefield, reduce damage to yourself and your allies, and/or enable you to run away.

The +2/+2 feats are ... not very good, IMHO. Especially not when we already know the setting isn't going to advance in lockstep with our skill levels.

I mean, we can take one if the majority wants it, but it just seems weak to me.

24. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I'm actually going to switch that feat over to Dodge, just because it unlocks so many other feats. Primarily, I'm looking at roofwalker and roofjumper, which do a whole ton of neat stuff if you're in a city, but have dodge and mobility as prereqs.

AAAND I just noticed my skills are set up for Pathfinder.

/sigh

Any chance I can leave them that way, or should I go back to buying balance and jump separately? Roofwalker needs both of them.

25. evildice

Okay, so I did some looking through all the different builds here.

First, ability scores:
    [​IMG]

IMHO some patterns are clear:
    Str: low (mostly 8-10)
    Dex: mid-high (12-14)
    Con: high
    Wis: variable
    Cha: variable

So let's go ahead and assign 15 to Con, and 14 to Int. Anyone disagree with this?

That leaves 13, 12, 10 and 8 to assign amongst Cha, Str, Dex and Wis. It looks to me like Str is generally lowest, followed by Wis, which leaves the 13 and 12 to be Cha and Dex. So basically:

Str: 8
    Dex: 13
    Con: 15
    Wis: 10
    Cha: 12

Does that look okay to everyone? If not, we can do a vote.

Feats

I pored through the builds posted here, and here's what I think are viable feat choices. (Formatted like a vote, but don't feel like you have to vote. We can just discuss.)

[_] L1: Draconic Senses (low-light vision; bonus to Spot, Listen and Search)
    [_] L1: Entangling Exhalation (breath weapon slows and hampers victims)
    [_] L1: Improved Initiative (Fighter bonus)
    [_] L1: Magical Training (learn 2 cantrips, cast 3/day as Sorcerer)
    [_] L1: Quickdraw ("where's my taser?"; Fighter bonus)

[_] L3: Draconic Aura: Vigor (you & allies within 30 ft. gain fast healing 1 while HP below half max)
    [_] L3: Weapon Finesse (Fighter bonus)
    [_] L3: Obtain Familiar (free Alertness, +3 to a skill, and more)
    [_] L3: Defensive Martial Arts (NEED IC TRAINING)
    [_] L3: Personal Firearms Proficiency (NEED IC TRAINING)

[_] L6: Leadership (you get a cohort and followers who all obey the d20 Modern rule set)
    [_] L6: Improved Familiar (small elemental?)
    [_] L6: Flyby Attack
    [_] L6: Frightful Presence

[_] L9: Draconic Cohort (you get a dragon)
    [_] L9: Mindbender PrC (1 level for Telepathy) + Mindsight feat

If we want to get Darkvision and Blindsense from Draconic Senses, we'll need 3 other [Draconic] feats.
    [_] Draconic Knowledge (bonus to Knowledge skills; improves Draconic Senses)
    [_] Dragonfire Strike (+1d6 sneak attack damage as fire; improves Draconic Senses)
    [_] Draconic Resistance (gain fire resistance 6/9/12; improves Draconic Senses)
    [_] Draconic Claws (natural weapons; improves Draconic Senses)
    [_] Draconic Skin (+1 AC; improves Draconic Senses)

[_] Darkstalker (from Lords of Madness; you can fool more detection methods with Hide / Move Silently)
    [_] Power Surge (set-up for Metabreath feats)
    [_] Improved Unarmed Strike & Deflect Arrow (works on bullets)
    [_] Combat Expertise & Improved Feint and/or Improved Trip

Now, it seems like the best choice at level 3 is Draconic Aura (Vigor), and the no-brainer choice for level 6 is usually Leadership (... but Flyby Attack is really nice).

If we want Mindsight at level 9, then we should NOT go for Draconic Senses at level 1. We'll also have to take Charm as one of our Lesser Invocations at level 6 or 8.

But but but, deflecting bullets sounds really cool. Maybe we should take ~2 levels of Fighter on the Rogue side of the gestalt. Argh, choices.

Jack of Olives and Sheaman3773 like this.
  26. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

I really want that 15 in Cha. Not only are our invocations tied to Cha, but also if we pick up leadership it'll make a huge difference.

If nobody wants to go for leadership, fine, but if anybody is even slightly interested in getting a whole bunch of loyal mooks to handle day to day things, we absolutely need our Cha to be as high as possible.

I went and looked over everything, and I want to go for the draconic feats, which means leadership is out, as amazing as it would be.

[ ] 15 Cha, 13 Con, 12 Dex
    [X] 15 Con, 12 Dex, 13 Cha

Also, can we please use the pathfinder versions of skills? Blowing a third of our skill points in "being able to notice things" another third in "not falling over on our ass" and the last third on "talk to people" doesn't leave anything left over for fun stuff like "speak more languages," "know how much stuff is worth," and "make legit money."

Also we need to decide if we're doing draconic feats or not. If we are, we shouldn't take any feats that AREN'T draconic. If we aren't, then they're severely underpowered. This is kind of an all or nothing thing as far as optimization goes.

I'm quite willing to go for draconic feats, but if people are going to get distracted by other cool feats, this isn't going to work. What does everybody else think?

evildice likes this.
  27. evildice

I totally agree that we need to have a mid-term goal, like what we want for levels 3 and 6 at least.

We can ignore Leadership for a while -- it's awesome if we're running our own organization, but less interesting if we're in an organization.

I have no objection to using Acrobatics / Athletics / Perception / Stealth instead of 3.5e's skills, but there is a certain derpy charm to the D&D skill set.

Remember that this choice will also apply to NPCs, so every lookout who is good at Spot will be forced to also be good at Listen. (A properly trained soldier would be good at both, of course, but not all opponents are properly trained soldiers.)

28. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

If we take dragon feats, I am in fact suggesting we ignore all non-dragon feats forever, which is why I switched to 15 Con and 13 Cha.
    I would prefer not to live in a world of people who are bad at everything.

evildice likes this.
  29. Guile

I prefer the Flyby Attack/Flyby Breath/Strafing Breath set rather than draconic feats. Our lesser Invocations do a fine job of providing us with knowledge or being super charming. Turning a 30'x60' long stretch of Brockton Bay into ash and flame helps sometimes, you know?

Or if we start on the Power Surge/metabreath feats early, instead of a fiery breath every turn we get a hyper beam every few turns. Generally better for hurting hardened targets, like the faction leaders of Brockton Bay. Not saying anything we do will terribly inconvenience Leviathan, but you never know.

All that said, let's not lose sight of the actual content of the quest for the feats, huh? Orphanage brats and caretakers, that sort of thing.

For example, what about this guy as a fellow orphanage kid-taking-care-of-the-little-kids? Yuu Akiyama.

Having a partner in crime early on would be fun. We could use a henchman. Also, look at that midriff!

evildice likes this.
  30. tEN

tEN Mischief Maker

By the time we even have flight, we can already have four draconic feats. By the time we have that whole set, we've got six of them. Every draconic feat you get makes every other draconic feat better. We can get AC out of this, we can get improved senses out of this, we can get natural weapons out of this; there are a ton of different draconic feats.

Three feats adding up to one ability where we can set everything on fire would come out to just barely worth it... if we didn't care about destroying the city.

evildice likes this.