1. Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
    Dismiss Notice
  4. If you wish to change your username, please ask via conversation to tehelgee instead of asking via my profile. I'd like to not clutter it up with such requests.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
    Dismiss Notice
  6. A note about the current Ukraine situation: Discussion of it is still prohibited as per Rule 8
    Dismiss Notice
  7. The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.
    Dismiss Notice
  8. The testbed for the QQ XF2 transition is now publicly available. Please see more information here.
    Dismiss Notice

Video Games General

Discussion in 'General' started by Smuthunter, Mar 25, 2017.

1. Velk

Velk Brok3n1s

Fuck yes!

I was just hoping for P5R, so P4G and P3P are welcome additions. Now I can play P4G without subconsciously trying to go for impossible achievements. (Rise voice lines)

Anything good after this is gravy.

2Booty cuming to the Switch! Fuck yeah!

Nice, I was always interested in those games.

Eh, I’m not going to hold my breath for this being decent, SE has burnt many bridges with me in the past fifteen years.

Jamesson Locke likes this.
  2. Raven1138

Raven1138 Experienced.

Well, the good news there are other RPGs shown, including a 40 minute gameplay video of Live A Live.

mizerie and Velk like this.
  3. Jamesson Locke

Jamesson Locke Best Chunnibote

"OH GOD WE SPENT ALL OUR MONEY ON NFTS! WHAT ARE WE GOING TO DO?"

"The same thing we did the last time we had no money, release another final fantasy game."

"We don't have any ready!"

"... Shit. People like farming right?"

4. heralding_bubble

heralding_bubble Liar and Hypocrite

5. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

Is he reviewing this or posting a run through of those games? Because that's a pretty fucking long review in both cases.

6. heralding_bubble

Review.
    He does in-depth reviews and retrospectives of series.
    For example he's also done Gears of War (3h37m), Resident Evil (7h28m), Half-Life (2h20m), Neverwinter Nights (3h11m), Control (43m), Cyberpunk 2077 (1h30m), and more.

7. Malcolmo

Malcolmo Insert custom title here

I think you could probably speedrun some of these games/series before the review finishes.... Seriously that is an obscene amount of time to spend on a review of something. I genuinely can't imagine spending that much time to see a review of a series.

8. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

If a review or retrospective is longer than a half hour I'm out

9. heralding_bubble

10. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

Exceptions may be made for a content creator I really enjoy, but still unlikely.

11. Digital_Devil

Digital_Devil Attack and dethrone [YHVH]

It's kinda crazy how "git gud" has become so negative when it was originally just meant as the catch all answer to "How do I beat x". Because there's not really any one perfect way to beat bosses if you're having trouble. Build variety is wide enough that people may not be able to execute the most efficient or cheesiest strategies. So it went from "There's no special way to beat the boss, you just have to play better" to "lol, stop whining".

vyor, Jamesson Locke and Rakdos92 like this.
  12. heralding_bubble

Ngl I can't see it ever not having been an insult, since it's an absolute non-answer.

Amazon Climber and Sornek like this.
  13. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

It went something like this:

"How do I shot web?"

"Well you do this, this, and this, etc. etc. and that should do it."

"That's not working, I can't do that."

"Well, try this other thing."

"That didn't work either."

"Okay, third thing."

"It doesn't work, y u give me crap advice?"

"Never mind, your problem is that you suck, git gud or bugger off."

And then the expert got ten thousand more just like that and gave the fuck up.

14. Garlandknight

Garlandknight Happiest Arbites

"Git gud" is not an insult except maybe implicitly. It's simultaneously a troll answer to any comment like "how do I beat this" or "this is too hard" and actual advice because, in a Souls game, most of the time the answer to the question of "how do I beat this" will boil down to "learn the dodge timing and improve your basic gameplay skills", which itself boils down to "just keep at it until you get better at the game".

Sure, sometimes there's a strategy or trick that actually makes a fight easier, and sometimes there's a build or equipment combo that can cheese things up to a point or make an otherwise difficult fight very easy, but those are hardly universally useful because sometimes a boss just has a mechanic or moveset that shits on your build.

Go to any Souls-like boss discussion and there will always be a person saying "X boss was almost impossible" and another guy will reply with something along the lines of "X boss? I beat him in the first try lmao". Then there's the people who agree the boss is difficult, or tell you they also had a hard time against it and give them advice that eventually boils down to "learn to dodge this", "learn to hit this weakpoint" and "just take it slow and be methodical", which again will boil down to "get better at doing the basic gameplay stuff" or in other words, "git gud".

It's definitely a non-answer, but also the most useful advice you can give a player, because if you learn the fights and stick to the basics you can beat just about any boss in a Souls game without armor, buffs, spells or fancy weapons. Sekiro is the best example because while there's a lot of fancy abilities and stuff you can use to spice up the gameplay or make a fight faster, you will need to learn how to Deflect, dodge Perilous Attacks, and attack in between the boss' attack strings, and if you can do those three things well enough they'll be enough to beat everything in the game, including the superbosses.

15. Digital_Devil

Digital_Devil Attack and dethrone [YHVH]

Like others have pointed out, it's a non-answer because there's no real universal answer for beating any of the bosses. If you choose a melee build and the boss is weak to magic your only option is to play more patiently and learn dodge timings. It almost always comes down to the fundamentals of learning when and how to avoid attacks and when you can attack and for how long without eating shit. Even in this same thread I've given advice on DS1 and most of it needed specific information on the players build or relied on how the AI reacted to certain things in a general sense. Even if there are really good options, most of it comes down to the player. Their build, how they prefer to play, and whether or not they can afford to deviate from their chosen playstyle. And that's just for bosses, it doesn't account for mobbing. So the universal answer of "you just have to get better at fundamental mechanics and figure out what works for you" turns into "git gud" after long enough because no one wants to explain that over and over and over. Which is why I'm sort of surprised it just ended up as an insult after a few years.

vyor and Persona4Dan like this.
  16. CrossyCross

CrossyCross LADY OF LOVE

Oh my god, this is a really old wonder for me. Definitely a fun game, as long as I don't play on anything harder than Easy (i'm a terrible player lol) because then I keep losing.
    I loved the variety of the units and the idea of training them multiple times to get higher types.

I've loved that game, and assuming they keep its requirements potato-level, I might be able to run this on my laptop.

Pity I can't make my berserkers both shale-armored and werewolves tho. And they really need an auto-ability option for stuff like the transformations.

rx915 likes this.
  17. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

That's why I chose to keep my berserker with shale armor. I tend to get the wolves ready to be equipped with shale armor before sending them off.

I'm not sure if there's some balancing in the swan pool map because I found it harder than usual but what I did today was to use the ability building as a distraction while putting the majority of the units north of the swan's pool while leaving Kenji and a geisha to deal with the enemies nipping at the south.

I remember someone made a fan comic of it for the Dragon path. It really fit the style too.

edit:
    [​IMG]

https://imgur.com/gallery/T2cs953

[​IMG]

https://namevgo.wordpress.com/2019/10/16/battle-realms-kenjis-journey/

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 30, 2022
    mizerie likes this.
  18. rx915

rx915 Experienced.

HOMM inspired game if you're interested.

Jamesson Locke, Rakdos92 and Malcolmo like this.
  19. Bear_Mint

Bear_Mint The LewdBringer. The Breast Observer.

Hei hay pee pol

There is nothing more marketable than Sseth's voice telling you why this game is broken. :V

20. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

On the topic of soulslikes, one of the best things about Code Vein is that you aren't locked into any play style. Literally at any time you can switch weapons and classes to try something completely different if your current build isn't working out or you just want to try something new. And there is a training dummy you can test out your new Builds on in your home base. You want a Caster play style where you blow up the enemy with spells from a distance? You can spec your character for that. You want a slow, tanky style to endure attacks until there's an opening? Go for it. You want to get in, hit fast, and get out? Just a quick swap of weapon and class in the menu screen.

DDNt, Anonnermus and Velk like this.
  21. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Shame it's anime as fuck with a dumb plot. The big titty girl with torn shirt is pretty hot though if I'm remembering right.

visus likes this.
  22. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

I'd rather take a simple plot done really well than the obscurity of most of FromSoft's offerings. Yeah it's chuuni AF but it's so goddamned sincere about it that I can't help but enjoy it.

DDNt likes this.
  23. Lykaia

Lykaia Well worn.

Eh, I'm the other way around. Sincerity or not it's just too damn chuuni for me to really get into and digging into the world is one of the bigger appeals of FromSoft games.

24. Jamesson Locke

Bloodborne has a simple plot it's all about getting yo tentacles up in the Doll. :V

25. Guardian Box

Guardian Box Theocratic Capitalist

git gud explained

26. TheFabulousCustodes

TheFabulousCustodes Versed in the lewd.

Any good indie games on sale in the PlayStation store right now, that I may have not heard of? I've got stuff like Hollow Knight, Transistor, Stardew Valley...

27. Jamesson Locke

Creeper World franchise. Or any game by Knuckle Cracker.
    Is like a fluid dynamics based RTS.

Edit: sorry assumed you meant Steam.

Malcolmo and TheFabulousCustodes like this.
  28. Yuuki4108

Yuuki4108 Not too sore, are you?

Nah, not really. Dark souls wasn't always like Elden Ring where you can spam comet azur and chop off 10k in a few seconds. It was completely linear, you would always have the necessary stat allocation and equipment to win and thus it was always a question of skill. Learn the AI, learn when to roll, learn when and how to parry and git gud :cool:

29. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Well worn.

I just picked up Apsulov: End of Gods. It's a sci-fi/fantasy horror game based on Norse mythology. Long story short, Earth discovers the Norse myths are real, and figure out how to explore the other eight realms. But they unintentionally brought something back with them that is wreaking havoc on Earth. It has some annoyances like lack of checkpoints but overall its a fun experience. I picked it up used for $19. It's normally $30.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2022
  30. Scygnus

Scygnus Well worn.

Still working my way, slowly, through Rogue Legacy 2. On Thread +3 now, just beat Namaah Prime.

This game is a shining example of 'how to do Trickle Lore'

Also: I know I heard the name 'Miriam' before somewhere, but where is eluding me. I'll have to check a lore book later. And the docks. Pizza Girl?

But first, I blazed through Enoch and Irad (though only with the help of a Hyperion's Ring due to the Scythe being a shit weapon against Irad) so now it's time to go to the Dry Lake... somewhat under-statted, I think.