• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

Vote Thread for Ack's Omake Corner

[X] War Games - 6
[X] Recoil - 5
[X] Alea Iacta Est - 4
[X] Wyvern - 3
[X] Confrontation II - 2
[X] Slippery Slope - 1

[X] Trump Card - 6
[X] Junior Hero - 5
[X] NSW - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] Hostage Situation - 2
[X] Confrontation II - 1

[X] Hostage Situation - 6
[X] I, Panacea - 5
[X] War Games - 4
[X] MirrorVerse - 3
[X] NSW - 2
[X] Recoil - 1
[] One More Trigger - 0
[] Slippery Slope - 0
[] Wyvern - 0

I'd like to ask that everyone boycott Mirrorverse, War Games, and I, Panacea until the vote trading on them ceases. I know, I know, you might actually like them. I like I, Panacea myself. The other option is that people think that this is acceptable and it becomes impossible to make the stories you like win without resorting to vote trading yourself.

Reactions: Ack
The other option is that people think that this is acceptable
Given that several voting rounds have gone by without Ack saying anything about it, it apparently is acceptable. Granted, asking people not to vote for the stories may be acceptable as well.

Of course, I didn't plan on voting for those stories anytime soon anyway (due to the inscrutable algorithm I employ to pick my votes), so my feelings on the matter are likely irrelevant to your aims.

Given that several voting rounds have gone by without Ack saying anything about it, it apparently is acceptable. Granted, asking people not to vote for the stories may be acceptable as well.

Of course, I didn't plan on voting for those stories anytime soon anyway (due to the inscrutable algorithm I employ to pick my votes), so my feelings on the matter are likely irrelevant to your aims.
My aims are for the stories that people actually want to see to get votes, and for stories that people do not want to see to not get votes. If just enough people stop voting for those stories to balance out the people only voting because told to, I will be satisfied.

Also, Ack liked my post last time I spoke out against vote trading, so perhaps he is annoyed as well and just didn't want to say anything.

Eh, Ack liked all my Acktropa Vote Trading Posts and other Trading Posts as well, so I'm not sure thats evidence in your favor.(One could say he is a very likeable person ;))
Most of the big stories/highest vote counts dont get votes because of trading anyway, but because they are the most popular ones.
Ultimately I think Vote Trading is just a fun little "minigame"; put in a little bit of effort and communicate with other people and in the process get a (however) small boost to your favorite story's update schedule.
In the end, Ack can always write what he feels like; but if he indeed wants the Trading to stop I'm certain everyone will happily oblige.

We've progressed from merely voting, to vote trading, and now to discussing the evils of said vote trading and tactical voting in general. My ridiculously circuitous plan is 3/4ths complete!

Normally I try to keep my votes the same or as close to being the same every round, only while my computer was broke that I voted more randomly, reading some of Ack's stories also affect my votes a bit, before I read NSW and D&T I voted for something else in their places, and Security! is often in my top 3 votes.

From what I got Ack's resets the counter when a story wins, so even the trading doesnt affect the results very much, it only makes faster for a story with the counter set back to 0 to win again, every story gets a turn or another, then add Ack's quite hyperactive muse that strikes him with the fury and speed of a Bruce Lee on speed, every story gets some loving, he worked on a few other stories while he was working or stuck with the winner of the past couple rounds.

Normally I try to keep my votes the same or as close to being the same every round, only while my computer was broke that I voted more randomly, reading some of Ack's stories also affect my votes a bit, before I read NSW and D&T I voted for something else in their places, and Security! is often in my top 3 votes.

From what I got Ack's resets the counter when a story wins, so even the trading doesnt affect the results very much, it only makes faster for a story with the counter set back to 0 to win again, every story gets a turn or another, then add Ack's quite hyperactive muse that strikes him with the fury and speed of a Bruce Lee on speed, every story gets some loving, he worked on a few other stories while he was working or stuck with the winner of the past couple rounds.
We did the math. Certain stories can reasonably expect to get four or five updates without certain other stories getting any updates at all. Even with the reset.

Reactions: Ack
[X] Confrontation II - 6
[X] Wyvern - 5
[X] Trump Card - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] All Alone - 2
[X] Nemesis - 1

We did the math. Certain stories can reasonably expect to get four or five updates without certain other stories getting any updates at all. Even with the reset.
Which is why I rotate my votes. For the stories I vote for that don't get a lot of votes, I give them high votes for a long period, while the more popular stories only get a few of my votes before rotating down below the threshold. Yeah, I could just as easily just vote for the low volume stories, but I also want to see some of the high volume stories too (Wyvern and Recoil for instance I really enjoy).

[X] Bait & Switch - 1
[X] Alea Iacta Est - 2
[X] One More Trigger - 3
[X] Danny & Taylor - 4
[X] Really Bad End - 5
[X] Wyvern - 6

[X] NSW - 6
[X] Meet the Heberts - 5
[X] Danny & Taylor - 4
[X] Recoil - 3
[X] One More Trigger - 2
[X] Bait & Switch - 1

[X] Recoil - 6
[X] Meet the Heberts - 5
[X] Trump Card - 4
[X] NSW - 3
[X] One More Trigger - 2
[X] Danny & Taylor - 1

(Sorry, but I can't help myself.) Well, duh!

The Stories you called a boycott for are:

Mirrorverse - ~ 45 Votes last couple of Rounds
War Games - ~80 Votes last Couple of Rounds
I, Panacea - ~ 100 Votes last couple of Rounds

The last couple of Vote Winners were all 1000+ Votes

Using that rough math it would take:

Mirrorverse - >22 Rounds to get that high
War Games - > 12 Rounds " " " "
I, Panacea - > 10 Rounds " " " "

So yes, War Games and I, Panacea might get updated up to 5Times more often than say Bait and Switch (~19Votes avg.), Junior Hero (~14), or Nemesis (~22)! So evil!
So, lets say Vote Trading is so successful that it has effectively doubled the Votes for each Story! (Hint: It doesnt)
That still means that those stories get updated at least twice as often (assuming ridiculous effective Vote Trading).
And before you jump at that statement let me take that wind right back.
Your "evil, should be boycotted" Stories aren't even the top Vote earning ones. Which would mean that even without Vote trading, the most popular stories get updated 5 to 10 times as often as the least popular.
Just take a look at your own Vote. Most of your Votes go to already popular stories, your supporting the patriarchy system all on your own, no trading necessary.

Your math might be right, but your assumption that Vote Trading, especially on those stories, are responsible are laughable.

Apologies for the derail.

I'd like to ask that everyone boycott Mirrorverse, War Games, and I, Panacea until the vote trading on them ceases. I know, I know, you might actually like them. I like I, Panacea myself. The other option is that people think that this is acceptable and it becomes impossible to make the stories you like win without resorting to vote trading yourself.

My aims are for the stories that people actually want to see to get votes, and for stories that people do not want to see to not get votes. If just enough people stop voting for those stories to balance out the people only voting because told to, I will be satisfied.

Also, Ack liked my post last time I spoke out against vote trading, so perhaps he is annoyed as well and just didn't want to say anything.

Eh, Ack liked all my Acktropa Vote Trading Posts and other Trading Posts as well, so I'm not sure thats evidence in your favor.(One could say he is a very likeable person ;))
Most of the big stories/highest vote counts dont get votes because of trading anyway, but because they are the most popular ones.
Ultimately I think Vote Trading is just a fun little "minigame"; put in a little bit of effort and communicate with other people and in the process get a (however) small boost to your favorite story's update schedule.
In the end, Ack can always write what he feels like; but if he indeed wants the Trading to stop I'm certain everyone will happily oblige.

We've progressed from merely voting, to vote trading, and now to discussing the evils of said vote trading and tactical voting in general. My ridiculously circuitous plan is 3/4ths complete!
I think the vote trading concept is amusing. Actually, it's hilarious. Especially when I consider that people are trading votes for something I am creating for fun.

My stance on it is, go for it. People who were before voting for only one or two stories are now voting for five or six, thus putting more vote points into the mix. All stories will come up if they are voted for, eventually. And nobody has to vote for anything they don't like.

I've been Liking vote trading and anti-vote trading comments alike, because I like the fact that you're discussing this in a reasonable fashion.

[X] Slippery Slope - 6
[X] Another Way- 5
[X] Recoil - 4
[X] Security! - 3
[X] Wyvern - 2
[X] Trump Card - 1
Not in the voting round, I'm afraid.

If this isn't amended by the time I finish writing, those five points will go to the lowest-scoring story on the selection. Just saying.

[X] Danny & Taylor - 6
[X] NSW - 5
[X] Hostage Situation - 4
[X] Trump Card - 3
[X] I, Panacea - 2
[X] Alea Iacta Est - 1

Welp, Recoil is up. Just checking to see if it's worth tallying votes.

... yeah, we've got over sixty votes, and over 1200 vote points, so yeah. Tallying votes.

Voting is CLOSED.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back