• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

The genomorphs can do bodyguard duty. I need people with resistance to magic.

I know Renegade's influence has led to relatively less innovation in Genomorph design and evolution, but between his alliances with Cranius and Venturia (and thus Atlantean biomancy), I feel like there would have been some productive collaboration on the front of arcano-biological development, even if it's just existing types of Genomorph gaining arcane capabilities. Has Cranius not expressed any interest at all in Genomorphs?

This also leads me to wonder how secure the Kryptonian-unicorn guy is in the Renegade timeline.

Also, have all the G-Oni in the Paragon timeline been accounted for, or are some still at large and waiting to pull a Starro and suddenly show up in a future episode? Paragon has a functional relationship with Mammon now, so that seems like something he could help with.

For those who need reminding, she's basically the local version of the blonde chick (Misa Amane) from Death Note, given super-speed powers, New Godhood and a lolita-goth Deathscythe appearance

As well as a disturbing devotion to a sociopathic character.

For those interested in a more animated version: Muscle Wizard. And for Darko: Sicarius is an Ass.
And because I can:

Thanks.

An old-fashioned smiting by a god, or at least someone with pretensions of such

Ehh, in the pre n52 comics it wouldn't be such a pretension since Arion was a demigod and a Lord of Order.

Sometimes the old school is best school for Lantern constructs. I mean, even Paragon has used a giant boxing glove at one point, if I remember right...

If it works then the shape doesn't matter.

Now, to see what Cranius did to earn such ire from the elemental's master. My bet: An autopsy on the anonymised Young Arion.

We know Arion is an asshole so he may just consider the Unmen to not be real people and feels no remorse for them.

Cranius is a damn good doctor. He will save them, even if he has to spend the next few weeks making new bodies for them once things calm down.

He may find the time doing it to be pleasant.

Well, whoever's behind this (Arion the Elder!) has earned themselves a solid beating. And then, (assuming Grayven still has the Sword of the First and Second) a quick depowering rebirth..

Assuming it even works on him.

We know it can work on magical entities, but Arion is just a powerful magic user.

Didn't Artemis shoot that into the sun?
Re: The Sword of the Fallen: I couldn't remember, nor did a quick re-read enlighten me, thus the 'assuming' in my comment. This was the first suggestion of it being used to kill Starbreaker. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember if they then retrieved it afterwards.

Re: The Sword of the Fallen: I couldn't remember, nor did a quick re-read enlighten me, thus the 'assuming' in my comment. This was the first suggestion of it being used to kill Starbreaker. Unfortunately, I couldn't remember if they then retrieved it afterwards.
It was in the center of the sun, so I am not sure how they would go about doing that.

It was in the center of the sun, so I am not sure how they would go about doing that.
Didn't the sun cease to exist when Starbreaker died?

I grin. "Dead?"

"He kinda turned to dust. Yours?"

"Dusted." I smile. "When did you get this sneaky?"

"Ah, some time between Dad dropping me in a forest at night next to a pack of wolves with a rucksack full of bacon, and working as a superhero in Gotham."

"Right, but I thought you were learning Tao's abilities."

"Tao's… Kinda the God of Warrior Heroes who Happen to use Bows. I'm more like the God of Bow-Ninjas."

"Great, so-" Outside of the station, the sun goes out. "-now there's literally nothing in the universe that can stop us."

Here

Cadbury's is running well, making a profit quarter on quarter and expanding their operations while taking into account differences in regional tastes. Americans just really like gone off milk in their chocolate, and… Capitalism. It's their money. You can lead a horse to good chocolate but you can't make it eat-.

How?

Didn't most of the ships get ganked during the invasion, leading to mass collapse of trade via shipping? Luxury goods like chocolate should be almost wiped out unless completely sourced locally.

For those who need reminding, she's basically the local version of the blonde chick (Misa Amane) from Death Note, given super-speed powers, New Godhood and a lolita-goth Deathscythe appearance.

1) Soul powers

2) Super-speed

3) Gothic-lolita design

4) Scythe

Good sir I do believe you just described Ruby Rose from sometimes popular American Anime RWBY. Fuck I wish It was better.

radioactive rock creature
Is it a Uranium Elemental?

Ahhhhhh~ there's something viscerally satisfying by a good "Doom us all!"

at the same time as its firing at me
Either "as it's firing at me" or "as it fires at me"

there are conventionally sized infantry sword-fetishist around here
Either "there is a" or "fetishists"

No, because then all the mass in the solar system would have slammed into the Source Wall.
Eventually. Mercury moves the fastest but it's got the furthest to travel -- and even the speedster of the solar system doesn't even hit 50 kilometers per second, and it would have had something like 200 million km to travel to get to the inner edge of the asteroid belt. That's over 46 days!

You know I think Dr. Kalgary from American Dad would make an excellent, more human looking, version of Cranius.

The accent, the glee at creating abominations, it's all there.

The Other Half (part 11)
12th July 2012
14:00 GMT -7

I purse my lips as I stare at my orrery.

I'm sure that I've seen this before somewhere.

Not the orrery, which was a project which combined my arcane experience with Sunset's arcane knowledge. It is by far a greater tool than any I worked with in eras past. I would never have tried focusing this spell through a simple map or wooden navigational aide. Not the eruption of elementals besieging Cranius's citadel. Temporarily imbuing the inanimate with life is something even a moderately talented magician could do, had they the knowing of it.

This way of concealing a presence.

On the other side of the room, Giovanni Zatara raises his eyebrows in enquiry.

"Professor Larissa, have you made any progress?"

That's… A drawback to being available for consultations. Sometimes, people want to consult with you at inconvenient times. As Circe I could arrive at Grayven's side and smite whoever dared attack our ally… But as Professor Larissa -a capable but not especially powerful wielder of magical power- I am forced to moderate my response in the presence of a member of the Justice League.

This 'secret identity' business is such a nuisance. I can see why Diana never bothered with one.

"No."

And I keep my sighs contained. If a magic tutor such as my false face failed to identify a malefactor that would merely indicate that they had taken a few sensible precautions. But I'm an ancient sorceress. Hiding from the magics I've been using -even at lower levels of raw power- is no mean feat. It's not Dracula -I'll never forget the feel of his magic, all brute force and no subtlety- and Mr. Near confirmed that it's not Dr. Mist -who could certainly hide from me but would sooner cut off his own right arm than be this overt- and it's clearly not a demon. So who does that leave that I would..?

Aaaaaah.

That's why it feels familiar. Centuries of feeling the edges of the workings of thousands of Atlantean practitioners means that I've become well accustomed to their style, but this isn't the way they practise in the modern era. It wouldn't even occur to Sunset to use magic in this manner. So, either an Atlantean archmage with an interest in history or someone older.

I'm sure Adom would love it if it turned out that Queen Gamemnae somehow survived-.

"Are you certain?"

He doesn't know me well enough to interpret my expressions accurately, but he would spot an illusory mask.

"It reminds me of some of the older Atlantean techniques. Sunset uses the modern thaumaturgically complex forms while this makes more of an effort to work with existing arcane systems."

Because he didn't have anything like the same level of theoretical knowledge back then that they do now and wouldn't have known how to do that. Ahri'ahn. Where has he been? I haven't seen him in the flesh for…

For…

For a while, but I haven't even felt his magic for…

I think I owe Grayven more than I realised for persuading me to leave Kalonymos. For at least two centuries.

"Do you think it could be Circe?"

That's a rational enough deduction. And the answer is no, because I'm perfectly willing to evoke spirits and gods whereas his skin crawls at the very notion of even talking to someone who isn't Greek. Which explains why there haven't been any demands issued; that would involve communication and he hasn't been in contact with modern Atlantis yet to recruit a 'surface-face'. I can well believe that he'd kill a surface dweller who 'cosplayed' as him for no better reason than that.

But there's no reason for 'Professor Larissa' to know that or to be able to identify such subtle distinctions in their magic. A modern magic researcher would only know of him as a historical figure of note. Few among the people of Atlantis perform magic in historical styles for much the same reason that few people on the surface drive around in Model T Fords. But I suppose that it doesn't really matter if Giovanni thinks it's me or someone else, just so long as he's acting against them. So as much as it hurts my pride…

I nod. "It could be. I try to avoid people like that, so I've never experienced her magic close up. But whoever it is, according to this…" A portion of the orrery lights up, showing images of a damaged Aberrance street. "They're in Aberrance right now."

"Aberrance. Do you know it?"

I smile. "Yes, of course. Doctor von Schadel and I have corresponded at length on the use of Atlantean biomancy in his work. And of course the army wanted a second opinion on his implants."

He nods, then returns his attention to the orrery.

"Can I use this to guide a teleportation spell?"

I didn't think he was powerful enough to attempt such a thing. How much has that necklace enhanced his abilities, I wonder? And would he be willing to let me study it? I'm not interested in drawing on the Plane of Order, but there are techniques that can be applied when using other sources of power.

"I.. imagine that you can. It can certainly form a sympathetic link for you. I'm afraid that sort of magic is a little beyond me."

I've been lying to people for over three thousand years, so even a lie like that doesn't trip me up. In truth unaided direct teleportation was… Difficult in the immediate aftermath of breaking my pact with Hecate. But something as trivial as moving around the material world at will is well within my abilities.

As is maintaining a mental glamour against the type of probe Giovanni just attempted, concealing my real nature behind a façade and disguising that it is a façade. He's.. good, considering his relative youth. But he's using Lord Nabu's tools to punch above his weight and hasn't raised his own skills to match.

Maybe in a few centuries.

He nods politely.

"I thank you for your assistance. Tropsnart em ot eht dleifelttab!"

Gold light flashes and I watch the connections form between him, the orrery and the image of Aberrance. Then there's a flicker and he's gone. I wave my hands, making sure that he hasn't left any sort of observation spell behind. No, he kept to the rules of hospitality. What a pleasant surprise. I can't persuade Constantine to do that even after all of the minor 'corrective' curses I've put on him.

I turn and walk over to the desk, pulling out a bundle of threads. Let's see… Social interaction, teaching, physicality, some creativity… I twist the threads into a knot and attach aspects of my character to each one… And stand back as a changeling wearing my 'Professor Larissa' face appears.

"Take my classes and help the students."

She nods and heads to the 'Introduction to Magic' class that I'd had to put on hold. It won't require her to actually use magic, which is good because while she can draw on my reserves, if I'm going to be fighting Ahri'ahn I don't want to be at anything less than my best.

Even if he hasn't left any monitoring spells on the orrery, Giovanni might feel it if I use it. Fortunately, I know the shape of Sunset's magic well enough not to need it. I simply raise my hands and walk towards her heat and skill and friendship, shimmering-

12th July 2012
13:04 GMT -8

-into being next to her in the Aberrance car park, the illusion of Professor Larissa well and truly discarded.

Flames are curling around Sunset as she partially etherealises, proving that she's well on her way to true apotheosis. Man-shaped lumps of macadam slump inert in a circle around her where she's defended herself against attack. She glances at me as I appear, and her… Genuine smile actually makes my heart flutter.

"Circe!"

"Sunset. Are you winning?"

Last edited:
Not the orrery, which was a protect which combined my arcane experience with and Sunset's arcane knowledge.
That should be 'project'. Also, I'm guessing that Renegade!Zatara is more powerful but less skilled than his Paragon counterpart. I'm guessing this because, without a power boost, Zatara will have to up his skill in order to keep up with increasing threats, even if he isn't an active member of the League in the Paragon timeline.

was a protect which combined

'a project'

experience with and Sunset's

remove 'and'

That's… A drawback to being available for consultations. Sometimes, people want to consult with you at inconvenient times. As Circe I could arrive at Grayven's side and smite whoever dared attack our ally… But as Professor Larissa -a capable but not especially powerful wielder of magical power- I am forced to moderate my response in the presence of a member of the Justice League.

This 'secret identity' business is such a nuisance. I can see why Diana never bothered with one.

I thought renegade told Diana that he helped Circe?

So, either an Atlantean archmage with an interest in history or someone older.

The latter.

I'm sure Adom would love it if it turned out that Queen Gamemnae somehow survived-.

Well, he may not like it so much if he sees the type of person she's become after his 'death'.

his skin crawls at the very notion of even talking to someone who isn't Greek.

Yep, he's an ancient Lovecraft.

I can't persuade Constantine to do that even after all of the minor 'corrective' curses I've put on him.

Ohh, John, you'll never learn.

Genuine smile actually makes my heart flutter.

Looks like at least one of renegades projects is becoming better.

That should be 'project'. Also, I'm guessing that Renegade!Zatara is more powerful but less skilled than his Paragon counterpart. I'm guessing this because, without a power boost, Zatara will have to up his skill in order to keep up with increasing threats, even if he isn't an active member of the League in the Paragon timeline.

Actually I think he's active again.

He at least helped them get to Witch-World.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back