• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

The Red Power Rings that we know, from the comics and from Raul, were made using Magic, no? So who knows how a technologically based Red Power Ring would behave? No replacing the user's heart, for example, maybe not even napalm/acid blood and instead it's an special attack from the ring itself.
We've actually already seen a technological red power ring, with that guy in the Renegade universe who I think got one from Weaponer Lysis.
I can't remember what it was like, though, except that I'm pretty sure that it didn't replace the heart.

The tour guide is a member of the same species as Threllian, and her original placement here occurred at some point before their homeworld was conquered by the Reach.
Link added, with a picture. Maybe don't read below though, some of that stuff could spoil a future With This Ring storyline.

We're finally getting a look at another controller! Not as fun as a duo or small group who cooperate, but still- fun! Perhaps they have kept up with their Leprachaun-looking kin as well.

Oh fun fact- The Astro force, which is what powers Orion's Astro harness he uses to fly around, is the "Wrath of the Source."

So him getting a red ring might result in...odd results.

Huh. That makes me think of how the Spectre is supposed to be the Wrath of God. And now we can draw a line between the red rings, the astro force, and the the Spectre... fun!

Has Mr Zoat used the Spectre so far in "With This Ring"? I'm not recalling the Spectre appearing in any arcs off the top of my head, but it's kind of odd that such a relatively important character and one that plays at the top end of the power spectreum (where the SI is playing now) has never shown up.

EDIT: Okay, I just went and searched the story only thread. There are only three instances I can find of the Spectre being mentioned.

One is when Paul mentions a comics storyline where the Spectre apepars.

One is where during the multiversal shennigans where Black Lantern Paul in (I think) maybe the Inviolable universe mentions that the League has "the mass murderer Spectre" on their contact list, but that's not even Earth 16.

The last is at Gotham PD where he sees a detective who was the Spectre for a while in the comics.

But no references to any active Spectre in Earth-16.

Last edited:
Question. So Paul gave the Justice League a review which included areas for improvement. And canon DC works occasionally use Batman's takedown strategies for his fellow Leaguers, with the plans getting put into action by villains.

Could the scheme of Manheim's have resulted from this, but based off of Paul's analyses? Basically instead of using efficient takedowns, this plan was concocted to maximize suffering. Or... To maximize potential gains from using Earth as a research subject with the particular shard of Antilife used here.

Butcher's Blood (part 5)
21st January 2013
09:45 GMT

Draan Del Daar isn't a maltusian I've had anything to do with, though I'm given to understand that he's… They're? More representative of the typical mindset than Hinon. Pick a thing they can do without reference to anyone else and then just get on with it. In their case, they're technically an art lover.

They regard us hungrily as we come into their sanctum, and I'm honestly surprised by exactly how little trouble I have reading their emotional state. They might be deceiving me, but just about every maltusian I've met has kept me out as a point of principle. In fact… Yes, they're reading me right back without any connection to the Orange Central Power Battery beyond what all sentient creatures have.

They look a little like a shorter, thinner and paler version of Jevek Jos Jar, but with red and blue robes rather than blue and purple. The colour scheme reminds me of the Guardians actually, but apparently Draan was never a member. Guess they got comfortable in a style from their youth and never bothered updating it.

"Ah… Look at you."

They sound strongly interested in us, but their weirdly thin face has barely any expression. I know that for maltusians their body is an expression of their minds, but this is the first time I've encountered one that looks like it might have died but kept moving around because the owner hasn't noticed it yet.

"Such need. And you, Source-fragment. I see why he wants to give you a red ring. It is as if you're incomplete without it; your soul expanded beyond the bounds of your body but without that core part of yourself."

"My anger is not what I am."

"Argue xenopsychology with me when you've seen out your first billion years. Your anger is built into you, the structures of your mind. Everything else grows up around it like weeds."

His helmet makes it hard to tell, but I think that Orion is snarling.

Ping.

"So I'm happy to make you a red ring. I'll even make you a personal lantern, though you're not interesting enough for me to be prepared to make a Central Power Battery; I will not be bound in such a way."

"That's fine: we don't need one. But we do need-."

"Did Hinon tell you how she made your first ring for you, snake-host?"

"She tore the avarice out of her own psyche, and was rendered comatose as a result."

"Yes. I'm not doing that. I want to see-" Their cadaverous head focuses on Orion, the gem on their forehead glowing brighter. "-what you look like when you use it. I want to see what it does to your connection to the Source. What it does to your life!"

"Alright, so what do you need?"

Ping.

They keep staring at Orion, as he calms his rising irritation. Then they appear to decide that they've seen enough and rotate towards me.

"When the Butcher Entity ran rampant prior to it returning to its home plane, one of the more martial members of my species tried to fight it. The resulting struggle caused it to spill its blood on a number of worlds. It's still there today. I need some. It doesn't have to be a great amount, just enough to resonate with the anger and hate in Orion."

"Its… Blood? You mean like.. pools of the stuff..? What form does it take?"

"I haven't looked. It could be anything; when the Butcher impresses itself on the corporeal universe, it tends to warp things in accordance with its own nature. There may be springs which cause berserk rages in anyone who drinks it, rocks or metals which only the greatest warriors dare use to make their weapons, magma that smells of blood and can cause the closest of friends to tear one another apart… Something like that."

"You haven't looked?"

"If it's really that interesting they can make their way to me. I've seen that sort of thing before on hundreds of thousands of occasions. It isn't worth me going there just to watch them fail to be interesting."

"Alright. What planets did that happen on?"

"Volkreg and Azmah are the two I know of. There are probably others in the same region."

Ring, map?

"So, go there, find whatever form the Butcher's Blood has taken, get a sample and come back?"

"It probably won't be safe to bring it directly to Maltus. Take it to my laboratory on Turi and notify me once you're there."

I frown, puzzled. Turi's one of Maltus's moons. It's completely barren and contains no useful minerals. We haven't bothered to build anything on it because it's easier to build in space.

"Why Turi?"

"The atmosphere appeals to me. And there's no one else there."

I suppose that if we've got bits of Butcher with us then an isolated spot really is best.

"Understood. Is there any advantage in gathering the blood from more than one site?"

"It would make my work easier and more interesting. It might produce a more responsive ring. I will be making one and no more than that in any case."

Okay, so we'll go to both and then look for other planets as well.

"Alright, I'm sure we can manage that. Anything else?"

"See if you can find something interesting created in response to the Butcher's presence. I'll make an exhibit of it."

Ping.

Orion's jaw tightens. I imagine that he doesn't like running errands for someone who isn't Highfather, particularly given that Draan doesn't really seem to care about the issues at stake.

"I'll see what we can do. Orion, my records say that Volkreg is a industrial age world with some off-world contact. Azmah's isolationist, so Volkreg seems like the best place to start. Would you mind opening a boom tube there?"

Ping.

"I agree."

BOOM!

Orion turns away the moment the tube opens, striding through like he'd rather be anywhere else. I make eye contact with Jade for a moment, then we both walk through after him.

We come out onto a cliff edge, the sky cloudy as we look out across a fringed, rocky landscape.

"Was that the type of being who wields authority in your organisation?"

"No, that's the sort of being who doesn't bother joining our organisation. Unfortunately, most of the ones who join are bound to the Orange Central Power Battery so can't make a red ring. I'm sorry that he-."

A series of explosions… Artillery? Air-dropped bombs? Explodes in the distance, as the results of my initial scans reach my brain.

"It's not cloudy." Jade sounds sombre, and I see at once where she's going. "That's ash."

Last edited:
21st January 2013

"Yes. I'm not doing that. I want to see-" Their cadaverous head focuses on Orion, the gem on their forehead glowing brighter. "-what you look like when you use it. "I want to see what it does to your connection to the Source. What it does to your life!"
Not entirely certain what happened to your formatting at the end there.

I was expecting a steeper price. That all he wants is to see the result of Orion bonding with a red ring is almost too good to be true.

In their case, they're technically an art lover.

And that could mean that their art takes the form of altering continents to make them more appealing, or changing the color of suns.

They regard us hungrily as we come into their sanctum, and I'm honestly surprised by exactly how little trouble I have reading their emotional state

If they are an artist then they may want people to read their emotions.

Yes, they're reading me right back without any connection to the Orange Central Power Battery beyond what all sentient creatures have.

Either the bacteria in them, or they know enough about the orange light to utilize some tricks.

I know that for maltusians their body is an expression of their minds, but this is the first time I've encountered one that looks like it might have died but kept moving around because the owner hasn't noticed it yet.

That may honestly be the case.

. "-what you look like when you use it. "I want to see what it does to your connection to the Source. What it does to your life!"

Remove the " in the middle.

I frown, puzzled. Turi's one of Maltus's moons. It's completely barren and contains no useful minerals. We haven't bothered to build anything on it because it's easier to build in space.

"Why Turi

Well if it's worthless then there's no great loss if it's damaged.

"Understood. Is there any advantage in gathering the blood from more than one site?"

"It would make my work easier and more interesting

Seeing how the blood has varied from place to place.

See if you can find something interesting created in response to the Butcher's presence. I'll make an exhibit of it."

That's not creepy at all.

It kinda reminds of when Child displayed that guards corpse like an art piece.

Orion's jaw tightens. I imagine that he doesn't like running errands for someone who isn't Highfather, particularly given that Draan doesn't really seem to care about the issues at stake

Plus the fact that Draan would fit very well on Apokalips may be making Orion want to crush him.

Not sure if this lunatic is canon, or if Zoat just got inspired by a 40k Homonculi.

A series of explosions… Artillery? Air-dropped bombs? Explodes in the distance, as the results of my initial scans reach my brain.

"It's not cloudy." Jade sounds sombre, and I see at once where she's going. "That's ash

Well it looks like we see what happens when Butcher's blood is around.

I was expecting a steeper price. That all he wants is to see the result of Orion bonding with a red ring is almost too good to be true.

Sometimes the worse price you can pay for getting what you want is getting what you want.

If Orion puts on a red ring then there's a very real chance that he can go berserk and may hurt everyone around him.

Not to mention the possibility that he can potentially already be influenced by the blood on the planet.

Jade seems out of place here. One I thought she was taking a break and two she doesn't seem to mentioned any where else the tonights segment so it feels light she just popped in out of nowhere.
It's mentioned she accompanied them through the Boom Tube, and she was with Paul and Orion at the end of last nights' update.

21st January 2013

Draan Del Daar isn't a maltusian I've had anything to do with, though I'm given to understand that he's… They're? More representative of the typical mindset than Hinon. Pick a thing they can do without reference to anyone else and then just get on with it. In their case, they're technically an art lover.

They regard us hungrily as we come into their sanctum, and I'm honestly surprised by exactly how little trouble I have reading their emotional state. They might be deceiving me, but just about every maltusian I've met has kept me out as a point of principle. In fact… Yes, they're reading me right back without any connection to the Orange Central Power Battery beyond what all sentient creatures have.
Yeah, don't try to play games with a being older than Humanity, who can natively manipulate the energies you wield. They're going to be very aware of your amateurish fumbling...

They look a little like a shorter, thinner and paler version of Jevek Jos Jar, but with red and blue robes rather than blue and purple. The colour scheme reminds me of the Guardians actually, but apparently Draan was never a member. Guess they got comfortable in a style from their youth and never bothered updating it.

"Ah… Look at you."
The robes thing definitely seems to be a fashion choice. Better than the Silver Age's ancient Maltusian styles. They did love to show off their thighs then. :p

They sound strongly interested in us, but their weirdly thin face has barely any expression. I know that for maltusians their body is an expression of their minds, but this is the first time I've encountered one that looks like it might have died but kept moving around because the owner hasn't noticed it yet.

"Such need. And you, Source-fragment. I see why he wants to give you a red ring. It is as if you're incomplete without it; your soul expanded beyond the bounds of your body but without that core part of yourself."
As if mortality would stop the march of science! :rolleyes:

"My anger is not what I am."

"Argue xenopsychology with me when you've seen out your first billion years. Your anger is built into you, the structures of your mind. Everything else grows up around it like weeds."
And that is true. Orion is the Fury of War, as Grayven is Conquest and Kalibak is Savagery.

His helmet makes it hard to tell, but I think that Orion is snarling.

Ping.
"Calm down, dear boy. Save it for when you need it."

"So I'm happy to make you a red ring. I'll even make you a personal lantern, though you're not interesting enough for me to be prepared to make a Central Power Battery; I will not be bound in such a way."

"That's fine: we don't need one. But we do need-."
Though I expect a personal Lantern will be much less efficient in energy gathering. So Orion will likely have a daily charging limit. Not that I expect him to use it much.

"Did Hinon tell you how she made your first ring for you, snake-host?"

"She tore the avarice out of her own psyche, and was rendered comatose as a result."
I expect the other Maltusians just went 'Well, she always did throw herself into her projects.' We know they just set her up in stasis, after all.

"Yes. I'm not doing that. I want to see-" Their cadaverous head focuses on Orion, the gem on their forehead glowing brighter. "-what you look like when you use it. "I want to see what it does to your connection to the Source. What it does to your life!"

"Alright, so what do you need?"
Oh, he's an eager one, isn't he?

Ping.

They keep staring at Orion, as he calms his rising irritation. Then they appear to decide that they've seen enough and rotate towards me.
I'm sure seeing him trying to keep a firm hold on his Rage was very instructive...

"When the Butcher Entity ran rampant prior to it returning to its home plane, one of the more martial members of my species tried to fight it. The resulting struggle caused it to spill its blood on a number of worlds. It's still there today. I need some. It doesn't have to be a great amount, just enough to resonate with the anger and hate in Orion."

"It's… Blood? You mean like.. pools of the stuff..? What form does it take?"
...A Maltusian warrior. That would have been spectacular. Probably as messy as a typical God of War game, though. ...The Greek era, not the Nordic.

"I haven't looked. It could be anything; when the Butcher impresses itself on the corporeal universe, it tended to warp things in accordance with its own nature. There may be springs which cause berserk rages in anyone who drinks it, rocks or metals which only the greatest warriors dare use to make their weapons, magma that smells of blood and can cause the closest of friends to tear one another apart… Something like that."

"You haven't looked?"
Such a primal infusion of Rage would be pretty noticeable, I bet.

"If it's really that interesting they can make their way to me. I've seen that sort of thing before on hundreds of thousands of occasions. It isn't worth me going there just to watch them fail to be interesting."

"Alright. What planets did that happen on?"
...And is there anything left of them afterwards? Or are they blasted hellscapes worthy of being a Khornate Daemon world?

"Volkreg and Azmah are the two I know of. There are probably others in the same region."

Ring, map?
Huh. An interesting symmetry. I wonder, would races that developed on worlds like that just naturally have a greater innate knack for wielding Rage or not...

"So, go there, find whatever form the Butcher's Blood has taken, get a sample and come back?"

"It probably won't be safe to bring it directly to Maltus. Take it to my laboratory on Turi and notify me once you're there."
I bet it'd practically radiate Rage. Not something you want anywhere near a place you don't want to destroy...

"Why Turi?"
It's isolated, so no risk of enraging people? It's quiet? Draan likes to be alone?

"The atmosphere appeals to me. And there's no one else there."

I suppose that if we've got bits of Butcher with us then an isolated spot really is best.
Indeed. It's not the sort of thing you want to take any risks with, from the sounds of it.

"It would make my work easier and more interesting. It might produce a more responsive ring. I will be making one and no more than that in any case."
So, use it well, then? I'm sure Orion will make good use of it.

Okay, so we'll go to both and then look for other planets as well.

"Alright, I'm sure we can manage that. Anything else?"
Oh, joy. A scavenger hunt. :rolleyes:

"See if you can find something interesting created in response to the Butcher's presence. I'll make an exhibit of it."

Ping.
"...Are we sure we want to work with this fellow? He seems... More like he'd be at home on Apokalips."

Orion's jaw tightens. I imagine that he doesn't like running errands for someone who isn't Highfather, particularly given that Draan doesn't really seem to care about the issues at stake.

"I'll see what we can do. Orion, my records say that Volkreg is a industrial age world with some off-world contact. Azmah's isolationist, so Volkreg seems like the best place to start. Would you mind opening a boom tube there?"
At least it'll be a short trip around the potential locations. Especially since OL can't Greediport during this quest (Because he has Orion along for the ride, and presumably dragging pure elemental Rage through the Honden is not the wisest idea...)

"Sooner it's done, the sooner we can get to work..."

BOOM!

Orion turns away the moment the tube opens, striding through like he'd rather be anywhere else. I make eye contact with Jade for a moment, then we both walk through after him.
I suppose having her along will make getting intel a little easier, with her sneaking skills.

We come out onto a cliff edge, the sky cloudy as we look out across a fringed, rocky landscape.

"Was that the type of being who wields authority in your organisation?"
Ah, Maltusians not to his taste? Or rather, that particular Maltusian?

"No, that's the sort of being who doesn't bother joining our organisation. Unfortunately, most of the ones who join are bound to the Orange Central Power Battery so can't make a red ring. I'm sorry that he-."

"It's not cloudy." Jade sounds sombre, and I see at once where she's going. "That's ash."
Probably not the result of the Butcher's Blood, unless it causes the natives to be in a constant state of conflict.

So, a world at war, eh? That'll probably make things just a little tougher. Warzones aren't exactly known for preserving places of knowledge, like say, a library where they could find historical information... Perhaps they'll find a local willing to aid them, in return for some boon. Perhaps a certain fellow who we know has a talent for using Power Rings of various colours...

Last edited:
Hmm. The Razer link reminded me that there is a Young Justice incarnation of Razer that eventually ended up being able to dual wield a Red Ring and a Blue Ring. And has apparently been searching for Aya.

Though those events haven't happened yet (in YJ it happens around 2016), apparently some version of the events portrayed in Green Lantern: The Animated Series did end up occurring in Young Justice canon. With it being declared that GL:TAS is considered "canon adjacent". Catwoman: Hunted and DC Showcase: Green Arrow are also considered "canon adjacent".

Which means the events were similar but not exactly the same. So I guess that's neat.

The robes thing definitely seems to be a fashion choice. Better than the Silver Age's ancient Maltusian styles. They did love to show off their thighs then. :p

I think Jevek likes to show off.

And that is true. Orion is the Fury of War, as Grayven is Conquest and Kalibak is Savagery.

Orion also represents the glory of war.

Though I expect a personal Lantern will be much less efficient in energy gathering. So Orion will likely have a daily charging limit. Not that I expect him to use it much.

Plus it may be more difficult to control the light.

, Maltusians not to his taste? Or rather, that particular Maltusian?

Well he does seem like a blue version of an Apokoliptian.

Alan's Blue Lantern and Grayven's Yellow Lantern don't have charging limits, I suspect because they were each designed to function without a Central Power Battery.
I imagine that this Red Lantern will be the same.

Thank you, corrected.
Might want to check the name of the moon.
Zoat the last two links in the spoiler box lack the 21st January date above them.
Thank you, corrected.
Hmm. The Razer link reminded me that there is a Young Justice incarnation of Razer that eventually ended up being able to dual wield a Red Ring and a Blue Ring. And has apparently been searching for Aya.

Though those events haven't happened yet (in YJ it happens around 2016), apparently some version of the events portrayed in Green Lantern: The Animated Series did end up occurring in Young Justice canon. With it being declared that GL:TAS is considered "canon adjacent". Catwoman: Hunted and DC Showcase: Green Arrow are also considered "canon adjacent".

Which means the events were similar but not exactly the same. So I guess that's neat.
That Razer is an idiot.

He finally admitted to himself that he loves Aya, and didn't immediately head to Zamaron to borrow their teleport-to-the-person-you-love tech like he did last time.

Honestly, a violet ring would be better for him anyway.

..oh god. I had a horrible thought. What if the reason for all the 40k chapters lately is because "In the 41st Millennium, war is the only thing there is"?

I know it's probably not true (I'm not a fan of the 40k lore, so I pretty much just skimmed those chapters), but if war is the result of the Butcher's blood being around... maybe it spent some time in that universe instead of returning straight to its home plane?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back