• The site has now migrated to Xenforo 2. If you see any issues with the forum operation, please post them in the feedback thread.
  • Due to issues with external spam filters, QQ is currently unable to send any mail to Microsoft E-mail addresses. This includes any account at live.com, hotmail.com or msn.com. Signing up to the forum with one of these addresses will result in your verification E-mail never arriving. For best results, please use a different E-mail provider for your QQ address.
  • For prospective new members, a word of warning: don't use common names like Dennis, Simon, or Kenny if you decide to create an account. Spammers have used them all before you and gotten those names flagged in the anti-spam databases. Your account registration will be rejected because of it.
  • Since it has happened MULTIPLE times now, I want to be very clear about this. You do not get to abandon an account and create a new one. You do not get to pass an account to someone else and create a new one. If you do so anyway, you will be banned for creating sockpuppets.
  • Due to the actions of particularly persistent spammers and trolls, we will be banning disposable email addresses from today onward.
  • The rules regarding NSFW links have been updated. See here for details.

With This Ring (Young Justice SI) (Thread Fourteen)

The closest to a Gothamite called Mistress I can recall is Nocturna, "Mistress of the Night."

Originally she was basically Elvira as a thief, she was Jason Todd's adoptive mother. Originally it was all part of a scheme but I understand they actually came to care about each other as family.

Post flashpoint she's Gotham's resident vampire whose hobbies include playing Carmilla to Batwoman.

While Zoat is usually loathe to incorporate post flashpoint materials, well an undead being with innate mind control powers and an unending thirst for blood might be resistant to the ALE's depression effect ether from the innate hypnotism, bloodlust, or undead nature or some combination thereof.

And a vampire would seem well fit to become an overlord in the post ALE world.

Well Elvira is in fact a DC character, but for some reason I doubt it's Elvira. :)

"If the people don't have valuable knowledge, then they're not valuable. But their technology still is, now that we can nearly understand it. A lot of the human… Brain mechanisms for telling us that people are people won't work with sophonts who don't look like us. So there are probably government agencies who are somewhat aware of what's going on, and decided to be murdering, sticky-fingered arseholes about it."

"The UFO was on fire and everybody was dead when we got here. That's our story and we're sticking to it!" - Actually a common occurance in early missions in the original X-Com

Railgun, target the hand with… mage slayer, but…

I pour orange light into the thaumovoric systems of the mage slayer round, needing it to consume what it touches. Then as the robot fires its right hand at me-
Further thought: Once Orange Lantern Paul learns how humans are turned into New Gods, he could probably accelerate his own transformation into one by pouring orange light in to enhance the function of his tattoos, and therefore speeding the way that they grow his soul.

Further thought: Once Orange Lantern Paul learns how humans are turned into New Gods, he could probably accelerate his own transformation into one by pouring orange light in to enhance the function of his tattoos, and therefore speeding the way that they grow his soul.

What you should really think about is the fact that, by going through this, OL is literally absorbing big doses of every light.

Home Field (part 3)
6th February 2013
07:01 GMT -5

"Robin."

And there's Mister Atom. I know he's not in the Justice League's computer network, but he gets notifications whenever anyone does anything. And if he wants to talk to you, you're not getting anything done until he's done. And I get it: he's one of not many people who are immune to the Anti-Life, so he has to check up on the rest of us. Doesn't mean it's not annoying. And if I'm annoyed-

"Hey, Atombot."

-then I'm gunna annoy him right back.

Not my best work, but… I'm not feeling it, right now.

"Robin."

And the problem with Mister Atom is that he will just keep saying my name until I give him the response he's looking for. He won't get bored, and because of how his voice control works he's not getting distracted from everything else he's supposed to be doing.

One time I tried to keep it up, and he kept up with me for two hours. I gave up when Wally told me to knock it off.

"Mister Atom."

He doesn't look happy. His face can't move or anything, but there are really subtle tells in his posture. I don't actually know if he can be happy-happy, but he sometimes gets… 'Less annoyed' when humans do what he thinks they're supposed to.

"Your father worked himself to exhaustion this morning. I require you to speak with him and attempt to persuade him to avoid doing so again."

"Ah… That ship's kinda sailed. Batman's… That just how he is."

"Incorrect. Batman's neurosis decreases substantially in your presence. Your input alone increases the chance of him changing to a healthier behavioural pattern by thirteen percent."

"Just thirteen percent?"

"Batwoman is already working on him."

I pulls a face. "Oh, ew. I don't need to know-."

"Not sexually. Most humans respond well to the physical presence of people they trust. Simply by being close to him, Batwoman is making it easier for him to get rest."

"Oh." That's-. I mean, yeah, they're married, and-.

"Though you make a good point. I will raise the issue of their mating behavior with her later. I do not have a good understanding of the psychological effects of human mating. In fact, it may be best if we discuss Batman management as a group."

No. No.

"When can you return to the Batcave?"

Double-no.

"Whenever you're planning on having that talk?"

"Good. I-."

"After that."

"That is awkward. If you are not present, the resulting plan may require your absence from particular rooms or buildings at times not convenient to you."

"I'll cope. Look, can I start work now, or-?"

Mr. Atom… Kind of… Twitches.

"Thank you for participating in the trial of my 'sense of humor' program. If you have any feedback, please-"

"Ya-huh?"

"-send it to my office by e-mail. Sense of humor now disengaged. Returning computer terminal to your control."

"W-why?"

"So that you can work."

"Why did you pick now to get a sense of humor?!"

"I have not. I have a separate program based on my analysis of human behavior-"

"That's not the point!"

He got me! Wally's gunna hear about this later, and then I'm never gunna hear the end of it!

"-which I occasionally allow to guide my speech in order to improve my emotional fulfilment quotient. Analysis of positive-."

Oh.

"You make jokes, because… It keeps the Anti-Life out."

"If it did not, I would postpone my research. Your update."

A second holoscreen pops up, showing troop movements and-.

"That's not right."

"The figures shown are accurate."

"I mean, it doesn't match what Mannheim's been doing up until now."

"Yes." New numbers appear. "Consider the demographic data."

"Okay, so he's given up attacking cities for now. The countryside is handling the Anti-Life broadcasts better than the cities, and he hasn't got enough Justified to control food distribution directly."

"Build-up of personnel-."

"He's planning on going to Gotham? He must know that isn't gunna work. If he moves an army, we'll grab them and free them. If he sends Justified, it'll be harder, but we'll still take them down. Mistress controls everyone who's Anti-Lifed, so he can't just throw local people at us…"

"Yes. All cities are now under someone's control. League-affiliates control a minority. Mannheim directly controls a minority. Most are ruled by dominant personalities who have internalised the Anti-Life. In the case of Gotham, Mistress."

"We destroy broadcasters as fast as he puts them up. He can't spread like that outside of the places he already controls. Does he want to make a deal or something?"

"Apokolips is ruled by Darkseid. However, senior New Gods still retain a high degree of agency."

Yeah. I mean, Canis has been loving this whole thing, and Barda-.

"So it's not just about making a deal. He wants to find out if he can control people through other Anti-Lifed leaders."

"Attempts to enlighten people in cities so affected have been less effective than attempts to enlighten people in cities that aren't, to a statistically significant degree. The difference can not be explained merely by the difference in their material conditions. Once Anti-Life saturation reaches a critical mass, it is self-sustaining."

"So why hasn't he done it before now?"

"Unknown. I speculate logistical issues."

"But if he goes himself…"

We'll know where he is. Attacking Mannheim isn't exactly easy when his bodyguards all have Apokoliptian weapons and his tower is made of Apokoliptian super-materials. But Gotham isn't. Can he just take Finality Man with him? I mean, yeah, he can, but if we know where they both are we can do a whole lot of missions that we can't do when we don't.

"So what's the plan?"

"It would be helpful if your team could infiltrate Mistress's coterie, and provide information on events. More information on her control techniques would improve our understanding of Anti-Life compliant society. More information on her interactions with Mannheim would allow me to model what happens when he repeats the process with other cities."

"Yeah." Because why wouldn't he? "I'll talk to Kaldur."

Last edited:
I really enjoyed Mister Atom's sense of humor because it both caught Robin off-guard and has a rational purpose for existing. I hope this all ends with Paul showing up to save the day, if only because I think this may be the only way to get into peoples' heads that he's more than just "the Cake Guy".

"Though you make a good point. I will raise the issue of their mating behavior with her later. I do not have a good understanding of the psychological affects of human mating. In fact, it may be best it we discuss Batman management as a group

I love this robot.

Yeah. I mean, Canis has been loving this whole thing

He's really going to be a problem.

I'm guessing she's been brainwashed jnto being Mannheim's servant?

"Though you make a good point. I will raise the issue of their mating behavior with her later. I do not have a good understanding of the psychological affects of human mating. In fact, it may be best it we discuss Batman management as a group."
That should say 'if we discuss Batman's management'.

6th February 2013
07:01 GMT -5

"Robin."

And there's Mister Atom. I know he's not in the Justice League's computer network, but he gets notifications whenever anyone does anything. And if he wants to talk to you, you're not getting anything done until he's done. And I get it: he's one of not many people who are immune to the Anti-Life, so he has to check up on the rest of us. Doesn't mean it's not annoying. And if I'm annoyed-
Ah, from father to adopted son. I can see Robin being annoyed by constant check-ins. For all that Batman's a control freak, he does trust Robin to operate independently without messing things up. But others just see a young boy with little oversight and, well...

"Hey, Atombot."

-then I'm gunna annoy him right back.
I suspect his tolerance for annoyance is greater than yours, since he has to deal with humans all the damn time.

Not my best work, but… I'm not feeling it, right now.

"Robin."
Plus, Atom has all the patience an artificial mind with a lot of processing speed can have...

And the problem with Mister Atom is that he will just keep saying my name until I give him the response he's looking for. He won't get bored, and because of how his voice control works he's not getting distracted from everything else he's supposed to be doing.

One time I tried to keep it up, and he kept up with me for two hours. I gave up when Wally told me to knock it off.
Though I suppose having to dedicate one vocal frequency to pestering one person does tie it up for that amount of time... What if he'd needed that twentieth channel for something else? :p

"Mister Atom."

He doesn't look happy. His face can't move or anything, but there are really subtle tells in his posture. I don't actually know if he can be happy-happy, but he sometimes gets… 'Less annoyed' when humans do what he thinks they're supposed to.
Like getting his preferred newspaper on time.

"Your father worked himself to exhaustion this morning. I require you to speak with him and attempt to persuade him to avoid doing so again."

"Ah… That ship's kinda sailed. Batman's… That just how he is."
Still, even the most set-in-his-ways man can change, given good reason.

"Incorrect. Batman's neurosis decreases substantially in your presence. Your input alone increases the chance of him changing to a healthier behavioural pattern by thirteen percent."

"Just thirteen percent?"
Any other source is probably less effective than that. Besides Talia.

"Batwoman is already working on him."

I pulls a face. "Oh, ew. I don't need to know-."
Still such a kid. Squicked out by thinking about his parental figures being intimate. :D

"Not sexually. Most humans respond well to the physical presence of people they trust. Simply by being close to him, Batwoman is making it easier for him to get rest."

"Oh." That's-. I mean, yeah, they're married, and-.
And I doubt he'd relax in quite the same way around you, Robin. Despite what some clever-clogs read into your relationship back in the day... :rolleyes:

"Though you make a good point. I will raise the issue of their mating behavior with her later. I do not have a good understanding of the psychological affects of human mating. In fact, it may be best if we discuss Batman management as a group."

No. No.
And I can't help but picture this in classic 'Teen Titans'-style visuals. Robin turning pale and slowly crumbling into dust in horror.

"When can you return to the Batcave?"

Double-no.
Yeah, that's not a conversation any adult wants a boy his age around for, Atom...

"Whenever you're planning on having that talk?"

"Good. I-."
Wait for it...

"After that."

"That is awkward. If you are not present, the resulting plan may require your absence from particular rooms or buildings at times not convenient to you."
...Unless you want an education in things you may one day find useful... x3

"I'll cope. Look, can I start work now, or-?"

Mr. Atom… Kind of… Twitches.
Good twitch or Bad twitch? There is a definite difference, I suspect.

"Thank you for participating in the trial of my 'sense of humor' program. If you have any feedback, please-"

"Ya-huh?"
Ah. He was making a joke.

"-send it to my office by e-mail. Sense of humor now disengaged. Returning computer terminal to your control."

"W-why?"
Well, he only wanted you to know that Batman is on break. And might need some convincing not to work himself to exhaustion again?

"So that you can work."

"Why did you pick now to get a sense of humor?!"
You assume it's a new feature? He probably coded it up alongside stuff like the Eagle Alert system... Make it easier to manipulate the voters, you know.

"I have not. I have a separate program based on my analysis of human behavior-"

"That's not the point!"
An entire suite of them, really. Humans are very complex, so each package has to be very narrowly focused...

He got me! Wally's gunna hear about this later, and then I'm never gunna hear the end of it!

"-which I occasionally allow to guide my speech in order to improve my emotional fulfilment quotient. Analysis of positive-."
And that's your biggest concern over this, Robin? Ah, teenage boys.

Oh.

"You make jokes, because… It keeps the Anti-Life out."
It can certainly break humans out of introspective loops that make them more vulnerable to the Anti-Life.

"If it did not, I would postpone my research. Your update."

A second holoscreen pops up, showing troop movements and-.
Mannheim's troops of Justifiers, I assume.

"That's not right."

"The figures shown are accurate."
Not what he meant, Atom.

"I mean, it doesn't match what Mannheim's been doing up until now."

"Yes." New numbers appear. "Consider the demographic data."
Uh-oh. The Bad Guy changing their methods? That's a worry.

"Okay, so he's given up attacking cities for now. The countryside is handling the Anti-Life broadcasts better than the cities, and he hasn't got enough Justified to control food distribution directly."

"Build-up of personnel-."
After all, his followers still need food. Can't fight for Darkseid if you're dying of starvation.

"He's planning on going to Gotham? He must know that isn't gunna work. If he moves an army, we'll grab them and free them. If he sends Justified, it'll be harder, but we'll still take them down. Mistress controls everyone who's Anti-Lifed, so he can't just throw local people at us…"

"Yes. All cities are now under someone's control. League-affiliates control a minority. Mannheim directly controls a minority. Most are ruled by dominant personalities who have internalised the Anti-Life. In the case of Gotham, Mistress."
Ah, so 'Mistress' isn't aligned with Mannheim, merely using the Anti-Life outbreak to their advantage.

"We destroy broadcasters as fast as he puts them up. He can't spread like that outside of the places he already controls. Does he want to make a deal or something?"

"Apokolips is ruled by Darkseid. However, senior New Gods still retain a high degree of agency."
After all, He cannot easily leave His domain to command in the field. Of course He needs generals capable of thinking for themselves.

Yeah. I mean, Canis has been loving this whole thing, and Barda-.

"So it's not just about making a deal. He wants to find out if he can control people through other Anti-Lifed leaders."
Presumably by dominating them into serving him. Which may require shows of force, intimidation or outright bribery.

"Attempts to enlighten people in cities so affected have been less effective than attempts to enlighten people in cities that aren't, to a statistically significant degree. The difference can not be explained merely by the difference in their material conditions. Once Anti-Life saturation reaches a critical mass, it is self-sustaining."

"So why hasn't he done it before now?"
Huh. So the more people affected, the stronger the resulting aura of gloominess and depression?

"Unknown. I speculate logistical issues."

"But if he goes himself…"
A chance to kick his ass directly. But he's not going to be unguarded, I bet.

We'll know where he is. Attacking Mannheim isn't exactly easy when his bodyguards all have Apokoliptian weapons and his tower is made of Apokoliptian super-materials. But Gotham isn't. Can he just take Finality Man with him? I mean, yeah, he can, but if we know where they both are we can do a whole lot of missions that we can't do when we don't.

"So what's the plan?"
While the cat is away, the mice will play. Or in this case, save lives and free people from mental domination.

"It would be helpful if your team could infiltrate Mistress's coterie, and provide information on events. More information on her control techniques would improve our understanding of Anti-Life compliant society. More information on her interactions with Mannheim would allow me to model what happens when he repeats the process with other cities."

"Yeah." Because why wouldn't he? "I'll talk to Kaldur."
Nice, the Team still working together, even in this dark hour.

Some useful information about the state of the world there. Mannheim's control isn't absolute, but without outside interference, areas not under anyone's immediate control simply trundle along on autopilot? And smaller populations have fared better than large groups, eh? And from the sound of it, we'll be getting to delve into the mysterious 'Mistress' and her operation in Gotham...

And smaller populations have fared better than large groups, eh

Humans aren't exactly all that well equipped when it comes to living in large areas like cities, but in smaller communities it is easier.

Stress tends to be more present in big cities, so the Anti-Life can target that and any other mental problems that occur due to living in a city.

I really enjoyed Mister Atom's sense of humor because it both caught Robin off-guard and has a rational purpose for existing. I hope this all ends with Paul showing up to save the day, if only because I think this may be the only way to get into peoples' heads that he's more than just "the Cake Guy".

The White light entity does include a sense of Humor, It may in fact make extensive use of cake symbolism in order to mess with Paul.

Last edited:
Cats aren't THAT hard to manage. Much like obnoxious managers, you just have to make them think it was THEIR idea.

So from this we learned that if LePaul had stuck around and struck at the towers he would have successfully shut down the Anti-Life.

But now it's too late to do that because it's reached a point where it's self sustaining without the towers.
They've destroyed any broadcasters that get put up, but if it was as simple as destroy them it would be over already. I doubt Paul staying would have meant it would be shut down yet.

Cats aren't THAT hard to manage

There is a reason being a lion tamer is such a high risk profession. And those are big cats that are actually EASIER to train.

Although the hardest animal to train are pigs because their memory is so bad they keep forgetting any training.

A cat can learn to shit outside, hunt rats and to come when you call their name, but that's about what most people are able to manage. And the name thing only tends to work if you call the cat to feed it.

Last edited:
They're two words with the same sound and meaning, so probably not.
They do not have the same meaning. And you thinking that is probably what causes the mix up.

They are however very confusing words, because something affecting something means that it has an effect (and not an affect) on it.

They do not have the same meaning. And you thinking that is probably what causes the mix up.

They are however very confusing words, because something affecting something means that it has an effect (and not an affect) on it.
I'm just saying that no one gets ceiling and sealing confused.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back